capybaras hillary clinton open thread trump

Clinton-Trump Debate Open Thread

The Donald, no doubt saying something truly awful
The Donald, no doubt saying something truly awful

This is Pledge Week here at WHTM. If you appreciate this blog, and can afford it, please click on the “donate” button below!  Thanks!

It’s Debate Night here in the USA. The debate proper starts at 9 PM Eastern, but you can start talking, yelling, whatever right now and for as long as you want. Should this be a no-trolls thread? Yeah, let’s make it a no-trolls thread. And no Trump supporters, obviously.

I will be live-screaming the debate here in my apartment. If you’re outside my window, enjoy!

Here is another pledge week capybara for you all. Two of them, actually, with some hot capybara-on-capybara action:

Sleepy Capybara says: Donate!
Sleepy Capybara says: Donate!

LaterSpaceCowboy
LaterSpaceCowboy

Is there seriously not a single comment yet? I am amazed. I’m sure it’s got to be a trainwreck. I can’t bring myself to watch it.

Nequam
Nequam

I think I’ll bow out tonight. Do some light, uplifting reading. Naked Lunch should be about right.

On the up side, Chuck Tingle is livetweeting the debate.

Policy of Madness

I am going to watch the hell out of this debate. Thanks, David!

Kat
Kat

I’ve been anticipating this thing for months. Do you think Trump will show up?

I’m pretty sure Hillary will.

Dalillama

Yeah, let’s make it a no-trolls thread. And no Trump supporters, obviously

There’s a difference?

RosieLa
RosieLa

Baby capybara on a big’un!!! 😀
I’ll be watching this debate, and maybe whipping out my Tarot cards for extra enjoyment.
I’ll also be making popcorn shortly. Because all drama is better with popcorn.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Unrelated sad thing that’s bugging me today; this is an open-ish thread so i’ll post here, but no need to derail. Saw the neighbour’s friend run over a pet dog this morning. Gorgeous, gentle pupper with white-golden fur. It was an accident, but it was an accident caused by negligence – the driver was young and slammed on the gas without checking behind him as he pulled out. I and a few others ran out there to try to save the poor thing, but he was breathing his last by the time we got to him. Driver is a friend of one of the teens that lives in the house, there’s been a lot of crying and shouting into cellphones today.

I hope that this has taught him some caution, there are a lot of small children that play on this street. But for that poor dog, who was rather young himself, it’s too late.

Sorry, have been ill today and that didn’t help! That’s all I’ll say on it. Thanks for listening.

Mea
Mea

@Nequam

Tingle’s going to livetweet it? That could almost make it bearable enough for me to watch it.

Almost.

I’ll be in a happier place online and wait to read the low points tomorrow.

@Scildfreja

That’s something you can never un-see or un-know. I’m so sorry for the dog and also for you.

Diptych
Diptych

The difference between Naked Lunch and the Trump campaign is that you can reassure yourself that the depraved, inhuman monsters in Naked Lunch aren’t real. That said, which of the Interzone parties do you think Trump would join? I’m torn between the Divisionists and the Liquefactionists…

Dreadnought
Dreadnought

@Scildfreja

My God that’s horrible! I’m sorry you had to experience that.

FoxKit
FoxKit

Time to bust out some commentary and pony gifs while watching this mess.

comment image

Nequam
Nequam

Diptych: I’m pretty sure it’d be the Divisionists.

OoglyBoggles
OoglyBoggles

I swear to Rigel if this debate doesn’t begin the tumble of Trump’s ratings to a downward spiral it’s gonna give me grief because I don’t know what will.

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

My mother can’t decide on Clinton or Trump. She think they’re pretty much the same. And she’s linking Hillary to Bill because she thinks he screwed over the nation because he had an affair.

Literally, the only reason she thinks Bill Clinton was shit–I keep asking her what made him a bad president and all she can say is that “his head was in his crotch”.

And now she’s ranting that presidents should be celibate to concentrate on work.

Policy of Madness

My parents are both in the Trump camp. I would prefer if they were ambivalent at this point. They can’t stand Trump but will vote for him anyway because voting for a Democrat is like voting in favor of the plague, apparently. It’s the worst possible kind of partisanship and I hate being in the same room with them sometimes.

Dreadnought
Dreadnought

@Jack

That’s a good idea, celibacy is what turned the Roman Catholic Church into the outstanding organisation you see today.

/s

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

Anyone got a live stream that’s available outside of North America?

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

She only thinks that way because he hates men. A lot. She’s an actual misandrist, not that I blame her, but also it’s terrible.

Funny enough, getting into feminism broke me away from a lot of the man-hating stuff she taught me when I was younger.

Of course, she’s also a yuuuuge misogynist, so, I mean, I had to unlearn that too.

Dreadnought
Dreadnought

@Imaginary Petal

CTV for Canada:

Youtube:

OoglyBoggles
OoglyBoggles

Okay I’m betting twenty photos that Trump will go on an angry rant like a caged rat before this debate is over. Fifteen photos is he just acts quiet and tired the whole time. Two on the off chance he doesn’t explode today and one on the 1/1E999999999999999999999999 chance he actually wins the debate.

Jen
Jen

We were joking about a drinking game, but any that involve Trump would likely result in a hospital stay or instant death. So now I’m trying to figure out how much alcohol I can safely consume while also drunk enough to not find Trump terrifying enough to wet myself while he promises to take away my uterus, send me to build a wall, and become a good fuhrer. D;

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

er, what kind of photos are we betting here?

RosieLa
RosieLa

I’m in Canada and watching on CNN https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9m_hzXE7f4&noredirect=1 so that I get the fear-mongering American ads! There was already one about “black slaves in the 1800s”.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

All of those links actually worked. I usually watch these things the next morning, so I suppose I just assumed official live streams would be region locked.

OoglyBoggles
OoglyBoggles

@Jen
I got one, take a drink every time Trump wins a debate point. If you’re not stone cold sober I might join you for some moonshine.
@Scildfreja
Pets mostly. I don’t really have a library of “oh fuck what have we done to have this scenario even have a chance of happening” pics.

RosieLa
RosieLa

@Jen – my drinking isn’t linked to anything in particular; I just have whiskey and my flask ran dry so I know I’ll be good.

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

Oh god it’s starting.

EDIT: My mom is heckling and it hasn’t even started yet for fucks sake.

It would be funnier if it weren’t my mom.

Policy of Madness

Debating whether to open a bottle of Maker’s and play a drinking game: take a sip whenever Trump tells an obvious lie. On the down side, it’s possible that that game might kill me.

eta: lol, was making literal popcorn and was slow on the uptake

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

I suggest a sip whenever Trump claims to be the saviour and protector of a group which he simultaneously vilifies.

Dreadnought
Dreadnought

Pizza guy just arrived! Right on time.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Hillary said “Equal pay for women’s work”! Do you hear that? It was like a million MRA jerkbutts cried out, and were not silenced.

Policy of Madness

First five minutes, and Clinton states policies while Trump states vague aspirations.

eta: new drinking game: take a sip whenever Trump says the word “beautiful” or “tremendous”

OoglyBoggles
OoglyBoggles

At the very least I get to see Clinton promote Bernie’s points.

Oh and talking down to trickle down economics

Talking about trump’s birth money and such. Talking about blue collar works. Yay talks of middle class.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

I’m really hoping that Trump literally catches on fire during the debate.

I dub this a Trumpster fire.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

Cutting taxes for the rich will be a beautiful thing to watch and will put money into the pockets of workers?

Kat
Kat

@Scildfreja
I am so very sorry.

Dreadnought
Dreadnought

*Raises glass*

A toast: to spontaneous combustion.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

Oh god, he’s seriously gonna be this fucking vague in the presidential debates too? Whenever he’s asked to give examples of whatever he’s claiming, he always says “well there are many examples and frankly many people are talking about them and there are many others too, so there are many”. In a better world, that kind of answer would make moderators just pose the same question again, after pointing out that he didn’t provide an answer, and repeat until he has to admit he was making shit up.

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

Trump is really hammering the “talking our job” point, isn’t he?

Annnnd now he’s attacking Clinton’s character. Niiiice.

Policy of Madness

Holt: Be specific on how you will bring companies back to the US.

Trump: We’ll stop them from leaving, special interests, taxes, I’LL JUST SOMEHOW MAKE IT WORK.

Kat
Kat

Trump is using his inside voice. Is he sleepwalking? He’s wearing his pouty face, as always.

Hillary is wearing false eyelashes (sorry — I had to say it or I would have burst), and her red pantsuit catches the eye.

Uh-oh, Trump is getting upset.

But look how chivalrous he was by asking whether it was okay to call her “Secretary.”

Uh-oh, he started to interrupt her.

What’s next????????????????????????????????????????????????

OoglyBoggles
OoglyBoggles

Yay green industry too alongside helping the middle class

Specific things to say instead of vague.

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

“That’s called business, by the way.”

Oh my goooood.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

Clinton brings up Trump rooting for the housing crisis.

Trump interrupts to shout “that’s just business!”

Kat
Kat

Clinton: …what goddess us in trouble in the first place.

Oops — I guess I misheard.

1 2 3 6