alt-right antifeminism entitled babies homophobia milo misogyny pig-biting mad straw feminists

Watch mad clown Milo melt down during his Out Magazine photoshoot

Mad Milo mansplains feminism to Amanda Marcotte, in drag
Mad Milo mansplains feminism to Amanda Marcotte, in drag.

One of the many strange things about Breitbart’s alleged “tech editor” Milo Yiannopoulos is how much he cares about convincing people he doesn’t care.

The self-described “provocateur” even dressed up as a literal clown for his recent profile in Out Magazine.

You’ve no doubt heard about the Out piece already; it’s been a teensy bit controversial. But what you probably didn’t know is that Salon sent a camera crew to his photoshoot with photographer Jill Greenberg. And that along with the camera crew they sent writer (and friend of We Hunted the Mammoth) Amanda Marcotte.

“Perhaps I got a bit caught up in his self-mythologizing,” she writes in her account of what followed, “which is why I thought he would have some fun answering provocative questions while he was getting his picture taken.”

Turns out Milo did not have much fun with her questions:

I never did get good answers to my questions, though I did learn that Yiannopoulos likes to reduce feminism to “angry lesbians” supposedly tricking naive young women into getting too fat to get boyfriends.

But I did learn one important fact: Milo Yiannopoulos is not playing around. He is utterly sincere about his far right views.

He is sincere enough that he lectured me for about 15 minutes, and got so caught up in the moment that he seemingly forgot that he was half-naked while wearing a wig and make-up. He was sincere enough to get genuinely wound up during this time.

Ultimately, he was having so little fun with her questions that he — perhaps channeling his idol Donald Trump — threw a fit and demanded she leave the premises.

He was so sincere that, when the Salon team shut off the cameras in order to move into another vantage point, he demanded that I leave the room, refused to answer any more questions, and called me a “bitch.”

The best part of all this? You can watch some of these testy exchanges on video over on Salon. There are two different versions of the video posted there; the one at the top has more Milo in it.

Turns out Milo is not so much a sad clown as a mad clown.

Richard Smith
Richard Smith

Milo Yiannopoulos, aka Poundfoolish the clown.

banned@4chan.org
banned@4chan.org

“Everybody has bad shit happen to them, and you either use it to turn yourself into a star or you become a victim. And I don’t have time for victims,”

Did… Did Milo just hint at the possibility that he’s lashing out over his own personal trauma?

Is Out Magazine going to make me feel sympathy for Milo by the time I’m done with this article?

Lady_Zombie
Lady_Zombie

What a nasty, cretinous man. What has to happen in your life to become such a person?

kupo
kupo

I don’t get why so many people defend him and others like him by saying he doesn’t actually believe these things. He clearly does, but even if he didn’t, how is that any better? To me it’s worse to spout hate if you actually know what you’re saying is wrong and hateful than if it’s just ignorance. The ignorant can learn. Assholes are just assholes.

LindsayIrene

Erm, no, Milo. Some people recover from bad shit, and some don’t. Some of those who don’t recover become victimizers such as yourself. In a few years, you won’t be young and conventionally good-looking any more, and all you’ll have is your bile and spite to keep you warm at night.

PocketNerd
PocketNerd

Out Magazine’s puff piece was an absolute disgrace. I’m damned sick and tired of people using “LGBT” to mean “white cis middle/upper class gay men.” Seriously, folks, if affluent white cis gay men are your target audience, OWN IT. Stop appropriating other demographics to legitimize yourself.

Your queer equality will be intersectional or it will be bullshit.

LindsayIrene

Isn’t it awesome how Milo goes on and on about what women think and feel? It’s like he came across the word ‘mansplain’ and thought, “Yes! That’s what I want to do with my life!”

Now I’ll hunker down to wait for the arrival of the Milo fanboys.

Dan Kasteray
Dan Kasteray

I have a former friend and Republican who thinks that Milo is funny. Seeing all this shit going on, I find Milo about as funny as cancer.

There’s no self reflection, there’s no understanding. It’s just cruel for the sake of being cruel.

I guess it really says something about his fans.

PocketNerd
PocketNerd

Thus Spake ZaraDan Kasteray:

I guess it really says something about his fans.

Considering the extent to which 4chan culture has influenced the alt-right, this really isn’t a surprise at all.

EJ (The Orphic Lizard)

I love this phrase and am going to quote it at every opportunity.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

So this guy… Out magazine… He wants reparative therapy to work… Out magazine… He thinks he, and everyone like him, is a degenerate… Out magazine… Y’all can fuck off

And Breitbart is being shitty about this too. Duh… Good job, OUT magazine…

leftwingfox
leftwingfox

Unfortunately, I can’t even say this is just 4-chan culture. Raging negativity and personal attacks are the default setting for most blog comment sections, gaming chats and forums, and were long before the rise of chan culture. The fetishization of free speech ensured that those repulsed by or sensitive to gratuitous offence were driven out of those spaces long ago.

4-chan and reddit have simply become distilleries for this kind of behaviour. The internet as a whole, “clownish assholism” is the default behaviour that may people have now grown up with and accepted as normal.

Lea
Lea

The way he says “dyke” and is certain women need heteronormative relationships more than anything else in life while being a gay man in an Out spread …

The mind, she boggles.

PocketNerd
PocketNerd
Reply to  leftwingfox

Thus Spake Zaraleftwingfox:

Alas, you’re not wrong.

Bina

Everybody sing! To this tune here:

“No one knows what it’s like to be the bad clown,
To be the sad clown,
Behind smeared eyes…”

Bina

Sadly, this is all too true. I started using the internet regularly before there was even much of a Web, around 1992-1994. There were no chans then. But there sure as hell were trolls, and they were SEXIST AS FUCK.

And yes, I am an Old. A jaded one.

Lea
Lea

Milo: Look at me be silly! Get it? I’m a silly lady. See? I’m semi-famous for harrassing women. Isn’t that a funny joke? Conservatives sure know how to have a good time. I’m so conservative. Yet, I’m felating a beer bottle in drag while wrapped in the flag! Aren’t I cheeky?

Amanda: So, what is your criticism of feminism exactly?

Milo: It tells women not to live to please boners. Fatties! Dykes! Yucky to peens! *screeching noises*

Yet, I bet he thinks that interview went well. I don’t think he is capable of seeing it any other way.

OoglyBoggles
OoglyBoggles

Where’s your “le puppet mastery” now Milo?

Master troll sure sure

feartheminotaur
feartheminotaur

@ Pocket Nerd

A-F’n-Men.

It disappoints me that mainstream LGBTQ and allied media is largely for (and by) rich, educated, white men in large, liberal urban areas (i.e., LA and NYC).

It infuriates me that these publications pander to and excuse affluent white male prejudices, even at the exclusion and derision of the other stripes of the rainbow they should be supporting.

For all the gains we’ve made as a culture (LGBTQ-wise), as a non-white gay man, I’d say those gains feel minimal, to me, when I see something like this.

Our non-white brothers and (especially) sisters are people. They are fighting for equality, not to be the metaphorical “black friend” to mask your own white-cis-dude exclusivity.

Sorry, Out, but no, being “gay” does not (and should not) excuse, or justify, Milo’s racism, sexism, homophobia, et al.

LindsayIrene

He wants reparative therapy to work

We don’t want you, anyway, Milo.

Signed,

The women of planet Earth

Bina

Meanwhile in reality, here are all these fat chicks walking around with actual, straight boyfriends and hubbies, who love them for who they are, and even (gasp!) find them super attractive! And there are also quite a lot of chubby gay guys. Bears, Milo…know any? I do. And they’re not enamored of you or your fascist “beauty” standard (which you yourself don’t exactly meet, either, since you’re too old to be a proper twink anymore).

What he hasn’t quite twigged to yet is that the far right hates gays. Really, REALLY hates them. They don’t fit into that whole Nazi white-womb breeder sphere. And the gay community doesn’t care for the far right, either, because you’d have to be a total masochist to love those who would literally beat your brains out if they thought they could get away with it. Both groups are gonna turn on him, if they haven’t already. And in the end, when his “moment” is up, he’s gonna have no real friends. At worst, he will end up like Ernst Röhm; at best, on Skid Row.

Sucks to be you, Milo, it truly does. But since you chose to be a “star” (note the quotes, there for a reason) this way, I have precious little sympathy.

Em
Em

Talking about your trauma and owning up to it and dealing with (and not by projecting that anger onto others) is a sign of maturity and strength.

Side note, I’m sure that this is obvious to all rational people, but lesbians come in all shapes and sizes. My best friend is a tall, slender, beautiful blonde with a “feminine” look and she could get a boyfriend easily. Guess what? She’s still a lesbian. Although studies have shown that, on average, lesbians prefer curvier women. Just because a particular group has different attractions and beauty standards doesn’t mean it’s automatically wrong. Beauty is really in the eye of the beholder. He’s just the type that is outraged by women who don’t fit (or don’t care about fitting into) white straight male beauty standards.

Viscaria
Viscaria

I did learn that Yiannopoulos likes to reduce feminism to “angry lesbians”

Ask me how surprised I am that proud gay man Milo Yiannopoulos would use “lesbian” as a perjorative, dismissive term. G’wan, ask.

runsinbackground
runsinbackground

For Milo to “end up like Ernst Rohm” his fellow-travelers would have to be in a position to carry out the Night of Long Knives. I suppose that he could be shot in the chest by a former ally in isolation, but if those allies are feeling comfortable with shooting as prominent a member of the movement as Milo then they probably feel confident enough in their position to hold a real purge.

Iseult The Idle
Iseult The Idle

Dish it out all day long, but can he take it? Nyet.

Grogepi
Grogepi

Jupp. Which is why he hides behind being gay and his alleged preference for black men at every f***ing turn.

If he wasn’t gay (which he onced claimed he wished wasn’t the case) he’d be virtually indistinguishable from his mentor and father figure, Andrew Breitbart.

Dude’s a sociopath and a nihilist, committed to every prejudice he could find and practically addicted to social degeneracy (no, I don’t mean homosexuality. I mean cyberharassment).

Richard Roller
Richard Roller

@Pocket Nerd:

Who put you in charge of what gay men are allowed to say?

I’m for equality for ALL not just people who tow the line on specific political/economic positions.

I am myself a gay Black man. I don’t agree with everything Milo Yiannopoulos says but I’m glad somebody is willing to argue with Twitter callout culture and stick pins in overinflated egos. Gay culture needs MORE of that not less.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

@Viscaria!

Tell us how surprised you are that Milo Yiannopoulos would use “lesbian” as a perjorative, dismissive term!

(((VioletBeauregarde))): Social Justice Necromancer
(((VioletBeauregarde))): Social Justice Necromancer

He is so pathetic! I laugh at him not because I find him amusing but because he thinks he’s so big and bad and rebellious when really he’s as tough as a wet noodle. Grow up, Milo!

On the other hand, I do feel bad about any trauma that drove him to be like this. I hope he gets *real* help. This is not to excuse his behavior…an asshole is an asshole, but it’s not too late for him to turn shit around.

(((Hambeast))) Now With Extra Parentheses
(((Hambeast))) Now With Extra Parentheses

I read all the articles and watched both videos and didn’t see anything that looked to me like a “meltdown” at all. Just a fast-talking kid trying to hang on to his 15 minutes of fame.

What I took away from it all is that ‘the cutting edge’ is probably not the best place from which to be pontificating on the state of foreign politics.

Viscaria
Viscaria

Haha, @Scildfreja

@Viscaria!

The answer is: not very.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Sell-Out Magazine.

Quintin
Quintin

@Bina

Oh, I think he gets it. Because everything I’ve seen has convinced me that Milo really REALLY hates himself.

Kat
Kat

[W]hen the Salon team shut off the cameras in order to move into another vantage point, he demanded that I leave the room, refused to answer any more questions, and called me a “bitch.”

This part is sincere. Amanda Marcotte is harshing poor Milo’s buzz.

Can’t have that.

As for Milo’s self-contradictory views, that’s just rationalization.

If the country suddenly made a decisive swing to the left, he’d be completely down with it.

He’d reinvent himself: Milo, the Queen of Love.

KafkaNoMore
KafkaNoMore

If I am understanding this correctly, OutMagazine (which is some LGBTQ related magazine) decided to interview Milo (because he is gay) and all he could do is to insult women (especially lesbians)?

What kind of LGBTQ magazine is that that gives broken people with extreme complexes a platform to insult it’s own members?? A magazine to avoid?

As this is being said, Milo comes across as a very effeminate (feminine gay man). His biggest problem in life is that he isn’t a woman. This is the reason he hates women so much.

Now, most femme-type gay men don’t desire to be women, but there is a very small percentage that feels envious towards women, and this turns into extreme misogyny. In my wider “friends” circle, there is a very femme-type gay guy (that I avoid as much as I can) who is a raging evo-psych (women are inferior) misogynyst. I know that personal anecdotes don’t mean anything, but clearly, this isn’t an isolated incident.

What strikes me there is that he (the gay guy I know) thinks of himself as some example of masculinity…Just like Milo, but truth is, they are both very effeminate (*note, I don’t mean to use the word effeminate as an insult, but as a description).

Somebody should dig deeper into this (with somebody I mean professionals) because there is clearly a link between effeminate misogynyst men and the desire to be women.

(Just to clarify one more time, I don’t think that all effeminate men desire to be women, but the very small percentage of individuals like Milo that turn misogyny into a hobby/career).

Monster-Teeth
Monster-Teeth

This little shit makes Twisty the Clown look charming.

Really sick of this moron & his horde of sleazy, hypocritical fans deflecting all criticism of him because he’s gay. Being gay isn’t a get out of jail free card for your despicable behavior.

Who cares if he fucks black men? That doesn’t mean he’s not racist.

Ted Bundy fucked women; that doesn’t mean he wasn’t a misogynist.

Richard Roller
Richard Roller

@Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Sell-Out Magazine.

Why because they gave a platform to somebody you don’t like? It’s called free speech bro.

Richard Roller
Richard Roller

@Iseult The Idle

Dish it out all day long, but can he take it? Nyet.

LOL. Milo can take it all day and all night. Unlike the people who got him banned from Twitter for saying things they didn’t want to hear.

Snowberry
Snowberry

@KafkaNoMore:

You’re missing something which puts this in perspective: OutMagazine largely caters to the G portion of the spectrum, and especially middle class white gay men. They do cover things of interest to the L and T portions, but those aren’t their primary audience. They also are kind of waffley about whether B, T, or Q identities are “legitimate” or “special snowflakes” and run authors which espouse both views. (Or at least they used to; maybe that’s changed since I started avoiding them.)

Viscaria
Viscaria

Uuuhhhhh

UUUMMMM

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

Richard Roller | September 22, 2016 at 1:57 pm
@Pocket Nerd:

Who put you in charge of what gay men are allowed to say?

Can you point out where they were saying what Milo should and shouldn’t say? Or what Out Magazine should and shouldn’t say?

All I saw them say was they were tired of people using the white cis gay man as the face of the LGBT+ community, and that they’re tired of groups within the LGBT+ community like Out Magazine trying to co-opt all of the groups that fall under that umbrella and claiming to be for them and supporting them, while only supporting said cis gay men and giving awful people like Milo a platform.

Which I, a pansexual genderflux person (Which means I am also part of the LGBT+ community) agree with. We need more representation of other groups, not just more cis gay (white) men. Especially cis gay white dudes who don’t give a shit about anyone else in the LGBT+ community so long as they get theirs.

So are we. Where did we say different? Where did we say he doesn’t deserve equality? Where did you get this idea that we somehow think this?

I don’t see anyone here saying that Milo doesn’t deserve equality as a gay man because he’s not “toeing the line on specific political/economic positions”. If you did, feel free to quote them and point them out, because I must have missed it.

We don’t agree with Milo and his disparagement of everyone who isn’t like him (like using “angry lesbian” as an insult, for instance) and his pandering to the alt-right, neo-nazi crowd by throwing the rest of us LGBT+ people under the bus. That doesn’t mean we think his rights should be taken away or that he doesn’t deserve them. We just think he’s a morally repugnant person.

Thinking your morals are shitty =/= “I hate you and you don’t deserve to be treated like a human being”.

Being a gay man doesn’t excuse him for being homophobic against lesbians, and him having a “preference” for black men doesn’t make him suddenly not racist.

What “Twitter callout culture” do you think he’s arguing with?

The kind where he sics his fans on people he doesn’t like? The kind where he whines about getting his verification removed and getting banned because he openly harasses and encourages harassment of black women like Leslie Jones? The kind where he sides with a group that openly attacks and harasses women (some of whom are LGBT+) because they dare speak up about inclusion in gaming?

And whose “overinflated ego” do you think he’s putting a pin in? And why do you think that his ego doesn’t qualify as “overinflated”?

Gay culture needs MORE of that not less.

You’re so right. We need more assholes like Milo who openly hates gay people, think lesbians are just man-hating feminists. We need more assholes who openly hate on gay people.

We totally need more of that in “gay culture”.

feartheminotaur
feartheminotaur

@ ‘Rick Roller’

Yawn. If you’re going to interrupt adults while they’re talking, at least say something informed or interesting. Then maybe you’ll get some attention, oh, sorry – “outrage” – to take back under your bridge to brag about instead of indifference.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

Rick Roll,

I think you’re confused about the concept of free speech. It doesn’t mean that no one can ever criticize a publication. Sorry (no I’m not) that your delicate sensibilities were offended by SFHC calling a magazine “Sell Out.”

Why you defend Milo’s right to incite harassment in the very next post when criticizing a magazine is beyond the pale, I don’t know. Care to explain?

Eta: I apparently missed Rick Roll’s opening salvo. Sounds like a not your shield faker to me. I’m guessing this troll is no more a black gay man than Miggs is a 329 year old engineer

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Rick Rude

I’m for equality for ALL

Bruh, the fuck? What do you mean? Equal what? Can’t be rights, cos PN said nothing to infringe or advocate the infringement of Milo’s rights. Milo wasn’t even mentioned in any of their posts. Equal what?

It’s called free speech bro

No it’s not

Was it really him? Can’t tell without his checkmark

@Kafka
I feel like this is the most bullshit thing I’ve read in some time. Anyone else got the side eye? Internet psychoanalysis is suspect, even in the best cases. But this… that is… just… That can’t be real

ETA
@WWTH
Not an engineer or not 329? The former is pretty far fetched, I admit… 😀

feartheminotaur
feartheminotaur

@PI

Richard Roller – AKA ‘Rick Roller’ (hahaha, get it? man, that meme never gets old. that’s some cutting edge stuff. maybe his next name will be “what’s the deal with airplane food?”) is as much a “gay Black man” as you are secretly Milo Y.

Well, the “man” part is probably correct.

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

Richard Roller | September 22, 2016 at 3:57 pm
@Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

And we can use our freedom of speech to call them sell-outs because that’s how Free Speech works.

Your freeze peaches cut both ways, “bro”. Free Speech isn’t only for people you like, right?

Richard Roller | September 22, 2016 at 4:07 pm

I love this projection of how us “Ess-Jay-Dubbyas” are such sensitive little crybabies who can’t stand to hear Milo (spout racist bullshit solely to harass people on Twitter, which is breaking their Terms of Service and is just plain shitty of him, but who cares about that, right?), but the moment Milo loses his precious Twitter checkmark and gets banned from Twitter, he throws a huge tantrum that would make a toddler embarrassed for their behavior.

And then here comes a Milo fanboi, trying to call us out for being “sensitive”. Me thinks the fanboi doth protest too much.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

Yeah, Kafka is lucky there’s a real troll and potential sock puppet taking the heat off them.

(((Hambeast))) Now With Extra Parentheses
(((Hambeast))) Now With Extra Parentheses

KafkaNoMore – I have to disagree a bit, but just about Milo; I don’t know enough about gay men* to say whether or not any of them wish to be women. I think Milo is just a straight up, misogynist woman-hater. Although he’s keen to appropriate feminine-coded things (fashion, make-up, gestures, etc.) in order to be edgy** and provocative, I very much doubt that he wants to BE a woman knowing how he and his treasured alties view us.

The man I see is extremely invested in his cis-genger, male, and white privilege and is very much cognizant that womenz*** don’t has it. And he and his followers very much want to keep it that way, notwithstanding his remarks about ‘second wave feminism.’

ETA – Good gravy! It took quite a long time to compose that and it seems I’ve been ninja’d AND taken in by a troll!

*I am not currently acquainted with any gay men in meat space.

**Hell, maybe he just really likes fem stuff, I mean, I have a very good straight, cis, male friend that is, but those things also help him with his tragically hip and ironic persona.

***also trans folk and POCs

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

How old are you, Rick Roll? How you feel about seagull based cuisine?

feartheminotaur
feartheminotaur

@WWTH

Oh, no, you see the new Dolt-Right argument is “free speech as a concept, not as in a legal right”.

That way if you, say, argue that maybe an ostensibly pro-LGBTQ magazine shouldn’t print anti-LGBTQ speech, you are against the concept of free speech, i.e., you don’t believe people should be able to have their own opinions*.

And yes, that may seem like a torturous leap of logic but you’re a woman, so you wouldn’t understand manly STEM stuff like that 😉

*Because, you know, all opinions are totally valid.

1 2 3 6