dawgies kitties off topic open thread

A kittens, puppies, bonbons and rainbows open thread

Kitten, puppy, rainbow. (Bonbons not pictured.)
Kitten, puppy, rainbow. (Bonbons not pictured.)

In light of the sheer grimness of that last post, there has been a request for a “kittens, puppies, bonbons and rainbows thread.” So here you go. Discussion does not have to be confined to kittens, puppies, bonbons and rainbows, but keep it positive! This is a thread for uplifting stuff only. No trolls, MRAs, Hitlers.

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

Fox Village!!

TheTruepooka
TheTruepooka

comment image

Skiriki

Hey folks, been a bit away, mostly due to kitten horde making me rather weary due to lack of sleep.

Well, good news: two of them have a perma-home for sure, one is uncertain at this point, and lil’ Rocky doesn’t have a home yet.

Fine by me, I’ll keep Rocky a bit longer, he’s the bestestest of all the kittens, soft like a warm cloud and affectionate as heck. Otherwise, they are moving out on 7th of October to their new homes! Yay!

*hands out kittens to cuddle should people need some comfort*

Monzach
Monzach

Hey fellow Mammotheers!

I didn’t want to post a personal OT thing in a regular thread, so I thought I’d wait until the next open thread. Here we are then. So anyway, I just wanted to tell you that I’ve been forced to change my walking route around the city, at least when it’s around dusk or later. For some reason, one of the streets I usually walk down has gone really downhill in the last few weeks. And the fact of the matter is that during the last month I’ve twice been offered drugs at a particular intersection. What makes this weird is that I’m 34 years old and this has never happened to me before. It’s a bit worrying.

I do realize that this is pretty much the definition of first world problems, but I felt the need to share. I’m going back to mostly lurking now.

lkeke35
lkeke35

That cat in the picture is going, “Mine! This ones is mine!”

Fishy: Fox Village is adorable. Please assure me it’s safe for the foxes as I’m not a huge fan of zoos. (I don’t hate zoos but they make me uncomfortable.)

ludanslaetans
ludanslaetans

does anyone have any music to share? i lost my mp3 player and im having a terrible day (read: a terrible week) and would appreciate the double effect of cheering me up and filling my new sd card
seemed appropriate to ask, since this is the “share” thread and stuff

anyway, i don’t know how to imbed videos but here’s a link to a song that helps me feel better
it’s about fusion but then also helping yourself out from disassociation/intrusive thoughts and letting them go in general???

Policy of Madness

Y’all, I interviewed for a promotion at work and I am told that I am the candidate most likely to get it. \o/

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Shiriki
Hey!!! *waves*

@Monzach

I do realize that this is pretty much the definition of first world problems

If you don’t feel safe, that’s a pretty serious problem. Hope it works out 🙂

@PoM
Awesome!

Anyway, I always post a song in these things:

And here’s Who’s on First, cos that always cheers me up:

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

I finished my thing that I posted a sketch of yesterday.

Complement the characters you hate. Compliment them.

I’ll be drawing Mabel carving a pumpkin soon. More details later.

Hey there, Axecalibur!

Since we’re posting songs that make us feel good and stuff like that, here’s mine!

PaganReader

@Policy of Madness
I hope you get that promotion and that it comes with a nice raise.

@TheTruePooka
That is one adorable kitten.

PaganReader

Does anyone else read Lackadaisy? It’s about bootlegger cats, so warnings for blood and violence.

ludanslaetans
ludanslaetans

lol okay if you’re gonna post weeb shit i guess i’ll raise your tenchi muyo with one jojo’s bizarre adventure

Skiriki

PaganReader: I do! It is awesome! Love the details to history and all.

ludanslaetans: I’m not sure what you mean, since I genuinely like that song. Listen to the lyrics, they’re awesome (also awesome in Japanese). And yes, I happen to prefer the English version over Japanese version in this case, c’est la vie, we all got our quirks.

Policy of Madness

Thanks Axe & Pagan. It would come with a good raise, so I definitely have my hopes up.

Some of my favorite music:

ludanslaetans
ludanslaetans

skiriki: ah, i didn’t mean to insult you, im sorry
im also an anime fan and it’s a usual thing with me and my circle to call ourselves weebs and anime trash babies and stuff like that, so i was just meaning to be friendly and relate the two songs based on them both being anime openers
but yea, im sorry, it wasn’t my intent to seem condescending or anything

speaking of webcomics, have you guys read monsterpulse?

Skiriki

ludanslaetans: No worries, and no, haven’t read that particular comic. Give a synopsis?

kupo
kupo

I got a super short hair cut today, so that’s some nice MRA repellant. I really want some bon-bons. Preferably these:

@POM
Good luck!

Policy of Madness

This is probably my favorite song in the history of music. I can listen to this on infinite repeat forever and never get tired of it.

eta: Thanks kupo! I am stoked. It would not only be a raise, but also a position I really just want.

(((VioletBeauregarde))): Social Justice Necromancer
(((VioletBeauregarde))): Social Justice Necromancer

@PoM: Yay! I hope you get it!

@Skiriki: Thank you for the cuddly kitty ^_^ TBH, I think we all needed one, after all the nastiness that has taken place.

I’m going for my first swim of the fall tomorrow.

ludanslaetans
ludanslaetans

basically
these kids are infected with what basically amounts to parasites that take over specific parts of their bodies and the parts of their bodies detach from their bodies and become separate arguably sentient beings.
one kid has his stomach turn into a monster and he cant eat through his mouth any more, he has to feed it directly to his former-now-monster stomach

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

@lkeke35 From what I can tell by Googling, it’s more a sanctuary rather than a zoo. The youngest ones are kept in wire cage enclosures until they are adults and then are released into the open forested area. Visitors are not allowed in the caged enclosures. I also did not see any reports of cruelty complaints on-line, but then I cannot read Kanji, either.

Ktoryx
Ktoryx

@Policy of Madness: best of luck! I hope you get it!

@Fishygoat OH MY EFFING GOD FOX VILLAGE!!! I have had such a thing for foxes since I was a kid. I went winter camping with a friend of mine a while back and this gorgeous red fox came and hung out with us by our campfire for like an hour. He never came too close, just watched to see if we dropped any of our hotdogs (I really wanted to, but we didn’t. You’re not supposed to feed the wildlife and all that. As much fun as it would be throwing the guy bites of hotdog, I didnt want to make him sick! We named him Mooch, in honour of his hotdog-staring ways.)

As for what’s going on in my life, I’ve just started a Stage fighting choreography class! I’ve done it before, but I’m on the intermediate level now. You guys, stage fighting is SO much fun. I cannot emphasize this enough. It’s like learning martial arts, except everything you do is cool-looking right away and you never get punched in the face. Plus, you will never feel more badass than when you have a german longsword in your hands. It is the coolest hobby you guys.

Skiriki

Rocky has really stolen my heart, I swear.

Gonna miss this one the most.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

So, my Patronus is a buzzard and I find that just hilarious.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

Skiriki,

Is it possible for you to just adopt Rocky for yourself? Both of my friend’s dogs were fosters that she and her husband didn’t want to give up.

Skiriki

WWTH, well, he belongs to the breeder, so no, not really without coughing up some dough. However, he’s a bit tough sell (he’s a marble who forgot how to marble), so I said I can keep him a bit longer if there’s no one who wants the cuddliest kitten of the bunch right away.

Considering that the cats at the breeder’s place are adults and would likely give him kittystinkeye (and possibly try to bully him), this is ideal for him as well. Rocky will grow up HUGE (most likely — he has still ridiculously oversized paws, whereas almost all other kittens have grown to proportion already), with a build like a tank, so it is important to socialize him well-behaved (and he is, goodness, the first kitty to learn that humans hurt easily).

Dr. Frank-n-furter will grow into a slinky-and-big, Riff Raff is likely to stay the same size as his sister Magenta (which is approximately the same size as Carisma the momcat).

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

Guys, I’m literally sneezing blood. Worst cold ever.

We bought a bunch of new furniture and rearranged things so that I can finally have a desk and a proper office. It’s been great, and so many new places for the cats to explore! Also, we recently found out about top entry litter boxes. Pretty upset that nobody told us about this years ago. 🙁

Music picks

Agent Sasco with a massive single from his new album:

Fyakin had a hit earlier this year:

Big big big Popcaan tune right now:

Vybz Kartel keeps spitting out 10 hit songs per week somehow:

Other than that it’s war season in the dancehall scene. Everyone’s dissing everyone left and right. I’m entertained but those kinds of songs aren’t always all that memorable. This one was good though, by Singer J:

Cleverforagirl
Cleverforagirl

I’ve actually been in lurk mode b/c this alt. right extinction burst is just awful. (I get upset, frustrated, and since I can’t punch things I cook, and now have random pickles in the fridge.)

Can I share good news?

I found a doctor with a minimum of weight loss bs! He treated my issues, rans tests, talked about managing risk factors, and only at the very end did he say, with some eyerolling, “Look, diets don’t work and you’re perfectly healthy, but if your weight really bothers you, I guess, maybe, we could talk about a referral to a bariatric surgeon, but don’t fret about your weight cause you’re just fine.”

Now, I know the network he’s with, so he *has* to bring up bariatric surgery. (It’s ahem, strongly encouraged.) But man, the eyerolling was hilarious. Also, there was no shame or arguing when I asked for the larger cuff. 🙂

comment image

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@IP
Oh no! Keep healthy, eh? 🙂

@clever
With you and kupo, cool docs be coming outta the woodwork! You keep healthy too 🙂

Oooh! Weeb shit!

Viscaria
Viscaria

Hi all! I’ve started my 2 year program at technical school. It is really fun and cool and I wish I could tell you all about it, but unfortunately it’s too niche for me to safely discuss in detail. But I’m telling you, it’s wicked. And the jobs at the end are plentiful and secure.

It is way better for me than the 4 year liberal arts degree that I tried and tried and tried to complete. Instead of being yet another anonymous student, I have a cohort of cool people – maybe 40% right out of high school, the rest changing careers like me! In University, my ADD brain could not create the structure I needed to succeed with only a few hours of lectures a week and huge projects to accomplish on my own time. Now, I’m in a highly structured environment. Almost like high school. The vast majority of my class time is practical.

I have stuff I could complain about, but this is a happy thread, and I want to say that I’m happier than I’ve been in years.

Policy of Madness

Thanks, Violet and Ktoryx! My fingers are definitely crossed.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

I’m at an impatient phase in my recovery. I feel better, but not quite normal.

Fortunately, Mr. Parasol is being awesome.

Bina

None of these kitties is mine, but it came up in my YouTube feed just now, so I thought I’d share this 20-minute slice of adorability:

Hugs to all who need ’em, and high-fives to all who have good news.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

@Viscaria

Yay for happiness!

Cleverforagirl
Cleverforagirl

Also, please accept my favorite video for inducing near instant happy. . .

Chie Satonaka
Chie Satonaka

My patronus is a dapple grey mare. I love it. But I still say that Leslie Knope is my spirit animal.

Policy of Madness

I’m at an impatient phase in my recovery. I feel better, but not quite normal.

That’s awesome! I hope you get back to normal sooner rather than later, but this sounds great as it is.

eli
eli

I have been relaxing to POM’s musical contribution. What a fantastic way to reconnect with my yoga relaxation after reading something terrible.

So glad to hear so many people have good news to share!

Mea
Mea

@Policy of Madness

You have excellent taste. that as the song that got me to buy my first album by them.

To add to the brainbleach pile, my all time favorite cat video…

some candy in lieu of bon-bons

and some music I find uplifting.

…aaaaand I seem to suck at embedding.

Alpine, RN
Alpine, RN

want something really uplifting? I signed up for the bone marrow donation registry 10 years ago and just today I found out…I AM A POTENTIAL MATCH!!!!!! Now i get to get blood drawn and find out if i can donate!!!

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Was gonna post this, like, a dozen times over the past two weeks, but didn’t.

Errybuddy spells my name wrong! \o/

Policy of Madness

OMG I have almost replicated a favorite discontinued BPAL scent. Oakmoss was the missing link. Now I just need to find the right proportions that tone down the amber and I can smell awesome all the time again. SO HAPPY.

@eli

Liquid Mind is amazing, and tons of music is on youtube. I have bought I think 6 Liquid Mind albums just because I love the music so much I had to send money.

The story I have heard is that Liquid Mind is one guy who has anxiety disorder and who writes the music for himself to soothe himself. It certainly soothes me, so I can believe it.

lkeke35
lkeke35

Adam Ant made me ridiculously happy when I was a Teenager. I had this cassette on loop. Now he’s on my MP3 player:

I suck at embedding so here’s some links.
What’s so great is that these aren’t even the silliest videos, though.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

Girl’s Guide for the Modern Diva by Black Box Recorder kind of makes me happy because I always picture MGTOW taking it way too literally and getting mad at it

Ooglyboggles

I see your JOJO and raise you with Toonami cartoons.

BTW, 2nd day of college, walked around the city, talked to quite a few people, had homework done and all around I feel fantastic to work with old friends again. In fact by the time I finally headed back to my dorm I only then realized that I forgot to take my meds this morning. Don’t worry I already took them as soon as I remembered that I forgot. My desk is no longer squeaky thanks to my new can of WD40, my new audio jacks work like a charm and everything on my desk looks so neat now.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

My happy making cartoon intro is The Mysterious Cities of Gold

Even though it doesn’t get across all the anti-colonialist themes in the show.

Nequam
Nequam

I don’t know if this would better be described as happy or soothing, but:

Bina

I suck at embedding so here’s some links.
What’s so great is that these aren’t even the silliest videos, though.

Adam Ant! Good times, good times. Friend or Foe is one of my all-time fave records. And I love pretty much everything else of his I’ve ever heard, too.

1 2 3