mansplaining men who should not ever be with women ever MGTOW reddit vaginas

MGTOW: Keep women out of combat because they’re easily captured while on their periods

Women having their periods are easy to locate due to white shorts, big smiles
Women having their periods are easy to locate due to white shorts, big smiles

If a recent conversation on the Men Going Their Own Way subreddit is any indication, MGTOWs remain baffled by and terrified of the human vagina.

In the midst of one of that subreddit’s typically dreadful discussions, the subject of women in the military comes up. One Reddit MGTOW lets it be known that he “f**king hope[s] women get drafted some day.”

One of his comrades steps in to MGTOWsplain just why he thinks that would be a bad, bad thing:
Some_one498 1 point 13 hours ago I hope they don't. Women would just get in the way which would cause more casualties. A woman wouldn't be able to carry a dying member away from danger. Depending on where they are their monthly cycles would cause the enemy to be able to catch them easier. So many reasons for women not to be in combat roles. It just doesn't make sense

So … how would that work, exactly?

Either Some_one498 thinks that

1. Our enemies have secret squads of vagina-sniffing dogs that can detect the scent of menstrual blood from miles away, or
  2. Women are so incapacitated by the monthly visit from Aunt Flo that they’ll just lie there and let enemy soldiers capture them

I made Some_one498’s quote into a meme using a still from the Goldie Hawn comedy Private Benjamin, but somehow I don’t think it’s going to catch on.

private-benjamin_phixr

tl;dr: Vaginas are scary!

Latte Cat
Latte Cat

Women are so incapacitated by the monthly visit from Aunt Flo that they’ll just lie there and let enemy soldiers capture them

Viscaria
Viscaria

They attract bears!

msexceptiontotherule
msexceptiontotherule

So don’t send women into battle with Canada! Or Alaska!

JSun
JSun

OMGads not Aunt Flo! She’d never betray me-*collapses*

Bina

So, I’m confused: Are these guys repulsed by our periods, or secretly attracted to them (like sharks)? And also, when ARE they going to just go the fuck AWAY, already?

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think these guys have ever been in the military in their lives.

Virgin Mary
Virgin Mary

I have quite a few good euphemisms for periods. I used to like ‘Captain Scarlett’, sometimes you get a Mysteron and need a packet of Angel Interceptors. You can guess what they are. Riding the cotton donkey, Mr Blobby and United playing at home are funny ones too. 🙂

LindsayIrene

I remember when the junior high I attended was being renovated and a new girls’ locker room was being built. There was a rumor that the boys would be moved into the old girls’ locker room, and the boys were, like, “Noooooooo, ewwwwww, girls have had their peeeeeeeeeriods all over that shower room floor!” Did I go to school with future miggy-toads?

Viscaria
Viscaria

I don’t… Nobody is going to bleed all over a communal shower floor, unless they are unfortunate enough to unexpectedly start their period mid-shower.

LindsayIrene

@Viscaria

Perhaps they thought Carrie was a documentary.

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

My favorite euphemism for periods is either “shark week” or “communism”.

Silver
Silver

This would really blow his mind. Or perhaps Sgt Shane Ortega, a trans man. I dare say he would consider him a “bloke in a dress”. These MGTOW guys do struggle with life don’t they. Meanwhile everyone else is just getting on with it.

Bina

Re: period euphemisms, I just say Mama Monthly came to visit and hit me with her big red bag. It’s an accurate description for how it feels for the first 2-3 days. But if I had to flee from an enemy, I’d still be able to do it, just maybe a shitload more exhausted afterwards.

AW
AW

@Paradoxical Intention: I think you might enjoy this.

Berdache from a previous life
Berdache from a previous life

So, not aware that there are ways to suppress the menstrual cycle are you MGTOWs?

The lack of basic knowledge is astounding. My secret hope is that many of these people are 12 year olds just trying to be “adult” and they’ll grow out of it. Statements like this make me think it might be so.

Aunt Podger
Aunt Podger

My favorite euphemism for menstruation is “rooting for ‘Bama.” (One or more of the University of Alabama’s sports teams is named the “Crimson Tide,” and it’s hard to see this mentioned by supporters without seeing their slogan attached— “Roll, Tide, Roll.”)

“More easily captured”? That, alas, is true. To capture the menstruating person, you’ll need to prop a really big box on a forked stick (image search “box trap” or search Bugs Bunny cartoons on Youtube for setup) over a heating pad and a bottle of NSAID’s, but watch out! We’re ornery when the box gets opened and “pacification with cupcakes” is a dangerous myth perpetuated by the stand-up comedy community for their own grisly and sadistic viewing pleasure.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

These MGTOW have it all wrong. Premenstrual soldiers are the best soldiers. It’s because we get uncontrollable cravings. We’ll eat the enemy soldiers. You just have to make sure there’s an Olive Garden on base. After all, females expect to eat there daily.

kupo
kupo

I mean, they just have to offer us bon-bons and we’ll come willingly.

Kat
Kat

OMG, yes!

This has happened to me more times than I can count.

Get my period.

Get captured by enemy bloodhounds.

They won’t let me go until I scratch them behind the ears and give them treats.

iknklast
iknklast

I’ve begun to realize that some men think women are incapacitated by everything. I went to a theatre conference this summer where a young man wrote a play about menopause, which showed women being so incapacitated by menopause they couldn’t do their job, they didn’t know where they were most of the time, and they constantly hallucinated. How anyone could think this was an accurate description of something most women go through at some point in their life, I don’t know.

Not to mention that, with the cultural references he used for her childhood, he must think women go through menopause in their early 30s.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

I’m fond of “Ms. Scarlett has returned to Tara” and “dishonorable discharge from the uterine navy”.

I think Tampax ads should start depicting SERE training camps instead of gauzy beaches. Gauzy SERE training camps, though.

Supermeerkat
Supermeerkat

Fallen to the communists is a good euphemism.

Mea
Mea

My personal term is “the Red Sea”.

And if the enemy offer me some decent cramp relief, I’m defecting. 😉

Sseba
Sseba

“Captain, the enemy is attacking from south-west with their division of angry sharks!” – “Oh, crap. It’s… You know… Seargent Feeble Feemale is on her… I mean it’s that time of the… You know what I mean, Major Miggs, don’t you?”
Major Miggs: “harglbrmffft!” (Explodes in humble silence)
Seargent Feemale: “All this war and stuff REALLY gets on my NERVES!!! Can somebody just shoot us all and give me some bon-bons already?”
Angry Shark: “Hello Mylady, happy to oblige!” (Chaos, darkness, apocalypse, alpha sharks ruling the world. The end)

Aunt Podger
Aunt Podger

@kupo, I am a military brat and have been in fairly serious relationships with many soldiers, and can confirm unequivocally that pretty much any soldier will come willingly when offered bon-bons. I recommend the ones known as “Martha Washingtons” if your backyard POW camp has been looking anemic.

Penny Psmith
Penny Psmith

Am I alone here in not liking period euphemisms, even the funny ones? If I need to menion being on my period, I just use the word “period”.
Or I might mention something like “menstrual cramps”, which to be honest has a pretty nice ring to it (it’s the trocheic dimeter, I suppose; then again, “period cramps” is a trocheic dimeter as well and less pleasing to the ear, so I might need to think about this some more). The cramps themselves are annoying as hell, of course, I’m just talking about the phrase.
At any rate, I don’t feel a need to hide the word, or something. It’s just a period.

(Not meant to disparage anyone here who does enjoy funny euphemisms, though! They are pretty fun.)

capnkrunch
capnkrunch

It’s true! This is how Cú Chulainn defeated queen Medb.

feartheminotaur
feartheminotaur

@PI. One of my best friends uses that and always says it like Jen from the IT Crowd “I’ve fallen to the communists”

ETA: @AW with the video evidence!

I’m trying to figure out the part just glossed over “women would just get in the way which would just cause more casualties”…huh? How? What? They do know they train people before putting them in combat, right? They are aware of how the Army works, right? Actually, no, I don’t think they do.

It’s like everything these fools yap on about – no first hand experience, just their ego-tinted I-could-do-that-because-MAN fantasy. Because they imagine the military as accurately as they do women’s physiology and psychology.

Shaenon

Why do these guys always talk about women in the military like it’s hypothetical? In the U.S., women have served in the military as soldiers for over 70 years (my grandma was a WAC), and as nurses and other front-line support roles since at least the Civil War. It’s not wacky new thing. In all that time, there have been, oh, zero cases of a woman being captured because she was incapacitated by her period, so I think we’re going to be okay.

This came up in another recent thread, but I’m always darkly amused by the MRA notion that military service consists entirely of running around with guns, either chasing or being chased by bad guys, like kids playing G.I. Joe.

I’m not amused at all by their insistence on pretending that servicewomen don’t exist at all. It’s disgusting to treat the women who defend them with such contempt.

Shaenon

It’s true! This is how Cú Chulainn defeated queen Medb.

Sure, but Medb almost won because the rest of the men of Cooley were under a curse causing them to undergo labor pains for a month out of every year (they’d been cursed, of course, for forcing a pregnant woman to run a horse race–not ride a horse, actually run with the horses–and she won but then gave birth and died at the finish line, but that’s another story). Cú Chulainn was recruited from outside so he could singlehandedly hold off Medb’s army while the men were incapacitated by labor.

There is, however, a river whose Irish name translates to “Medb’s Foulness” because Medb supposedly created it on her way to Cooley by menstruating a flood.

Oh man, Irish epics are the best.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

That’s not how anything works. If I’d been painfully bleeding from my genitals once a month since, like, 12, why would I give up now? In the middle of an ongoing firefight? I’m sure there’ll be time to lie down when the bullets aren’t whizzing right by my head. Do they think people just shut down like fembots as soon as it turns midnight on the 7th? Jackasses

@iknklast

But women cease to exist after 25. 30 is fuckin generous /s

@Penny

Uhm… isn’t ‘period’… also a euph-… nevermind, I have no idea what I’m talking about

Viscaria
Viscaria

I wondered the same thing when the discussion was taking place in the US about allowing queer people to serve openly in the military. “If we allow gays in our military, they’ll all be too busy having sex with each other to do their jobs!” “Teh gayz can’t handle the rigours of conflict.” “Who’s to say if gay soldiers will get along with the normal soldiers?” Dudes, there are, and always have been, queer people in the military.

Banananana dakry
Banananana dakry

Given how little these dudebros think of taking a shower or of wiping their own asses, no wonder they think that women’s period stank will call in Charlie from five miles away. To them, the concept of ‘hygiene’ is a greeting.

kupo
kupo

@Axe

No, it’s short for menstrual period. It’s not the same as a euphemism, which is where you allude to something because it’s too embarrassing to say the actual thing.

@Penny
I’m with you. It makes me really uncomfortable and the cuter the euphemism the more uncomfortable it makes me feel. I’m not sure why because other euphemisms don’t bother me, like all the ones for sex. Maybe because of all the stigma around it? Like we can’t even say it because it’s considered gross, and on top of that it’s constantly held up as this reason why people who menstruate are so inferior to those who don’t.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@kupo

No, it’s short for menstrual period

Ah! Knew I had no idea what I was talking about. Thanks 🙂

Lea
Lea

How do they know so little about history and biology? How? Who miseducated these poor suckers?

I prefer “shark week” and “the cardinal has flown”.

Lea
Lea

I’m stealing “routing for ‘bama”.

Penny Psmith
Penny Psmith

Even if we think of it as a sort-of euphemism, it’s one that has become so widespread it just replaces the original word, with all its euphemism-requiring meanings (and thus necessitates the creation of a new euphemism). Language often works that way; it can be equally neat and exasperating.

And kupo, I think you made a good point, on the reason it seems uncomfortable. This attitude about periods in general.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

I’m with Penny and Kupo. I like to be pretty open about my period and not use any cutesy euphemisms. I’m not embarrassed to menstruate and I think menstruation could really stand to be demystified. If cis men can watch or play media with violence and gore in it, I really don’t think they’re too fragile and delicate to hear about a completely normal and healthy bodily function. Shielding cis men from the existence of menstruation leads to exactly the kind of bullshit in the OP. Our culture treats the uterus, the vagina and all their functions as some sort of bizarre and alien thing and I think it enables a lot of misogyny.

kupo
kupo

Btw, MGTOWs, I’m menstruating right now. Feel free to avoid me.

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

@ kupo & Penny I hate them, too. Will never use them. Comes from a childhood where everything ‘taboo’ was explained in baby talk, or never explained at all once we ‘outgrew’ it. Maybe we got a book given to us, but never a conversation.

I do think some are funny, though. 🙂

Heh. I once got a book ‘explaining’ where babies came from. It mentioned the sperm and egg, but never mentioned how the sperm got to the egg. Just had arrows pointing from the man figure to the woman figure. LOL!

SpleenyBadger
SpleenyBadger

A friend of mine used to refer to it as “surfin’ the crimson wave.” I’ve always rather liked that. It sounded much more fun than what’s actually happening!

Aunt Podger
Aunt Podger

I don’t really think anyone over about high-school age uses euphemisms unless they’re talking in front of young children, older family members who may be offended, or the egregiously Christian, but I do find it funny and a way to bond with women with whom I might otherwise have little in common. One of my favorite stories by Connie Willis, “Even the Queen,” is written on the theme of (in my opinion) how the minor suffering and inconvenience of periods bring women together, how we will lose a little as a culture when we move on from that norm, and how will very gratefully move on from that loss.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Penny

Great point!

As if it matters (and it doesn’t), most of the euphemisms are hilarious. I wouldn’t use em, but I’ll laugh at em. On the rare occasions that I’d need to refer to mestruation, I just call it menstruation. Everything but the most clinical terms either makes me grin like a middle schooler in health class (Bama) or gives me a major case of the cringe (Time of the Month)…

No, I’m not 2 preteen boys in a trench coat. Why do you ask? 😀

dreemr
dreemr

“Period” isn’t really a euphemism, it’s more like a nickname, short for “menstrual period”.

Oops. WAY ninja’d.

Aunt Podger
Aunt Podger

Btw, MGTOWs, I’m menstruating right now. Feel free to avoid me.

You just want to be captured with bon-bons. Fair enough, I’ve read some of the culinary digressions that occur here. We can be assured that they will at least be quality bon-bons.

Kat
Kat

@kupo

Btw, MGTOWs, I’m menstruating right now. Feel free to avoid me.

No, no, that’s The Thing Whose Name Must Not Be Mentioned!

Plants wilt.

Souffles fall.

Men weep.

Look what you’ve done!

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

A woman wouldn’t be able to carry a dying member away from danger.

Guys. Stop. Even Freud would say you’re being too Freudian.

Aunt Podger
Aunt Podger

@Imaginary Petal, the discomfort that resulted from my awkward body’s response to that surprise laugh was well worth the laugh. (In Earth-human terms, I snorted tea out my nose.) Thanks.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

Menstrual capture bonbons would have to be red velvet cake bonbons, right?

Don’t think the image will embed because it’s not jpeg, but they look pretty good to me.

1 2 3 5