alt-right anime nazis anti-Semitism ironic nazis irony alert literal nazis men who should not ever be with women ever racism

Internet Nazis now trying to recruit kids playing Pokemon GO, apparently

He's coming for your kids!
Pikachu Hitler, coming to a Pokemon GO gym near you?

Watch out! The Daily Stormer is coming for your children!

Or so they say. Earlier this week, Andrew Anglin of the Daily Stormer launched what he’s calling the “Pokémon GO Nazi Challenge,” urging his readers to descend upon their local Pokemon GO hot spots with crude flyers promoting race hatred in general and his site in particular.

Great news, everyone!

An enterprising Stormer has been handing out fliers at Pokémon GO gyms for the purpose of converting children and teens to HARDCORE NEO-NAZISM! …

HE’S HANDING THEM OUT TO CHILDREN!

THIS IS ALREADY HAPPENING!

HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF ANYTHING SO GREAT AS THIS???

The Daily Stormer was designed to appeal to teenagers, but I have long thought that we needed to get pre-teens involved in the movement. At that age, you can really brainwash someone easily. Anyone who accepts Nazism at the age of 10 or 11 is going to be a Nazi for life.

The idea is so ridiculous, and the flyer in question so crude and over-the-top, that I assumed at first that it was a troll job — that either Anglin was trolling us, or that someone was trolling him.

The flyer (see the whole thing here) bristles with rabid denunciations of “n***er monkeys,” “burrito rats,” and “HOOK-NOSED JEWS.” It urges its readers to “vote for DONALD TRUMP” even while acknowledging that most of those reading the flyer are “probably too young to vote” for the “GOD EMPEROR.”

It promises its target audience of white not-yet-men that

flyer2

Oh, and it compares catching Pokemons to … the Holocaust. Favorably

flyer1If Anglin is trolling, though, he’s trolling his readers as well as the rest of us.

In a followup post today, Anglin insisted that he was dead serious about the “Pokémon GO Nazi Challenge” — and defended it from alt-right critics saying the flyer was so over-the-top offensive that it could end up hurting the Nazi cause, and perhaps even Donald Trump as well.

“Trump has been called a racist six million times,” Anglin tells his readers.

If the media were to present these flyers and say “look, racist Alt-Right Neo-Nazi Pokemon conspiracy!!!!” it would simply be more noise.

It would also look ridiculous. There is so much news about so many different things related to the election, people just get these bits and bytes, and “TRUMP RACISM POKEMON NAZIS” is all their brain would absorb, which would simply cause the media to lose more credibility in their minds and cause them to draw closer to Trump.

As for all the racial slurs?

[Y]oung boys like rebellious things. It excites them. It makes them interested. The flyer, in my view, was perfectly designed to appeal to young boys, and I think we’re going to get a huge response once people start handing them out.

And what were the options, besides going hardcore?

Black IQ statistics? What kid is going to be drawn into that?

Saying “save your race” or some other generic, vague, low-energy statement? Most kids won’t even know what that means, let alone be interested in it.

Making it obscene and aggressive appeals to a primal drive in boys who are in or approaching puberty.

So there you have it.

I still think this campaign is more of a publicity stunt than an actual recruitment drive, but we’ll see, I guess.

This is a very strange year, no question about it.

Ooglyboggles

PUAs Nazis get the fuck out of Pokemon you fake gamers.

Preying on young boys and girls in the middle of the street? I wonder what people will think? /sarcasm

DreadFluffyRises
DreadFluffyRises

Well, that explains the alt-right perfectly, dunnit?

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

Boy, going for the 3edgy5me demographic, a surprise there. /s What are they gonna do, find the one kid of the playground that hates Steven Universe?

MexicanHotChocolate
MexicanHotChocolate

Can you imagine the meltdown these alt-right shits would have if someone from Black Lives Matter did the same thing to promote their cause? Or feminists? Or LGBTQIA rights activists? And on another note, I would laugh so hard if Anglin got a DNA test from Ancestry.com and found out he’s not a pure-blooded European but a mutt like the rest of us.

… okay then.

If I ever need a great example of Poe’s Law, this is it.

@DreadFluffyRises

My sentiment exactly.

@MexicanHotChocolate

Let’s hope Craig “Bro” Cobb has some words of support for him when that happens.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

It’s a bit bewildering to me how any kids could find Nazism attractive. I know there’s always been racism but when I was a kid even the self professed racists tended to be embarrassed at being called Nazis (or even fascists).

I’ve been wondering if it’s an American thing. Orwell said that even though England had its share of fascists, Nazism could never take hold because we’d find goose-stepping laughable.

I think though for my generation it was comics. We didn’t have superhero comics in the UK but we did have war comics, and even general comics always had war stories in them.

Now the thing was, it wasn’t just that Nazis were portrayed as evil or silly or stupid, it was that they were losers; and they lost in the most humiliating way.

What kid could ever see losers as something to emulate?

Is it maybe because American war stories are more concerned with the Pacific theatre? I’m going to ponder this further.

Monzach
Monzach

@Alan Robertshaw

I’ve been thinking about the same thing. We got the same war comics over here in Finland (mainly translations of Commando magazines), so for many boys of my generation (born in 1982) “Nazi” was synonymous with the greatest villains in history.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

@ Alan Robertshaw

Captain America did punch out Hitler, in one of the more famous American comic covers of the era.

Paradoxical Intention - Mobile
Paradoxical Intention - Mobile

Ugh. How out-of-touch can you get?

@Alan

You might wanna take a look at what’s happening with some French young people and ISIS – I believe it’s the same sort of drive. They don’t necessarily believe in the shit that’s peddled to them, but they crave the escape. Belief comes later.

That’s a rough way to summarize it but I think it’s the same drive. The social worker who helps me with the move told me about a few cases. Additionally, I’ve met a 16 yr old self-described “ex-facho” last year – it was a bit heartbreaking to hear him recount how he came to believe that bullshit. And reassuring to see how he’d come round. He’s also turned to feminism as a tool to understanding toxic masculinity and how it led him to nazism.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

My nym is AXE CALIBUR, and neither I nor anyone in my similarly inclined peer group in middle school thought Nazis were cool

personalpest
personalpest

“Trump has been called a racist six million times,” Anglin tells his readers.

Oh, I see what you did there, Andrew–besides making me lose my lunch.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ monzach

mainly translations of Commando magazines

Oh gawd, I loved those. Did you have them in that weird little booklet format?

@ sinkable john

Yup, same here. I think you know I follow ISIS quite closely. When they analyse the Web history of English recruits it’s usually stuff like “what is Islam?”. It’s the old thing of exploiting the naive and dispossessed and offering a surrogate family, a cause and simple answers to their unfocused discontentment.

@ vicky p

Hmm, good point. Another datum for my hypothesis.

(((Chiomara)))
(((Chiomara)))

Waaaake me up, when 2016 ends…
This worries me a bit because tweens are remarkably confuse and stupid in general. Let’s hope they are not that stupid.

personalpest
personalpest

@ Chiomara: It’s good to be concerned, but I doubt these flyers will convert many kids. Yes, there’s still a lot of bigotry in America (and everywhere else), but the flyers are so disgusting and over-the-top that they’ll probably repel most of their target audience. And then there’s the parents, most of whom won’t want their kids getting involved with Nazism. Always remember that the “alt right” and Manospherians, as dangerous as they are, are the minority. And any kid who does respond to the flyer was probably leaning towards extremism anyway.

Monzach
Monzach

@Alan Robertshaw

We used to have little booklets with a single story in each issue, published every other week, but since the 1990s they have published a four story book every 6 weeks. And yes, they are still published, to this day. I occasionally treat myself to a dose of Commando goodness to this very day. Actually, I should say “High Voltage” goodness, since that’s the name those stories are published under over here in Finland (well, “Korkeajännitys” which translates as “High Voltage”). The tagline is just as good: “Strikes like a million volts!” 😀

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

French nazis though – they’re not amused. There’s a lot of talk right now in the “respectable” nationalist spheres about how those pesky Americans are ruining nazism and giving it a bad image.

Anyone got spare popcorn ?

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden

Funny that Anglin doesn’t talk about repatriating himself and his fellow White Supremacists to Europe from whence came his ancestors.

Kale

Americans grow up seeing lots of images of Nazis as Bad Guys and as goofy fools (because flipping the script making a terrfying person a fool is funny). Is Neo-Naziism really such an American thing? And indeed, why? I know there’s plenty of racism in Europe…

Snork Maiden
Snork Maiden

@Victorious Parasol

Ah yes, but over here we had George Formby knocking him out:

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ monzach

Korkeajännitys

I’m going to find a way to use that somehow.

@ kale

Yeah, we’re getting self identifying neo Nazis now. I do think think it might be because they didn’t grow up in that zeitgeist of Nazis as pathetic losers. More recent media has perhaps downplayed that and concentrated more about on just the evil. But evil can unfortunately be cool and attractive.

Nazis being outwitted by some plucky Tommy = Loooooser! Occult Nazis summoning demons or inventing superweapons = compelling super-villainy.

@Kale

We’ve had neo-nazis in Europe since WWII ended. I mean, literally since it ended. Soon as Nazi Germany stopped being a thing, the old nationalists stepped up and started working on their apologia. Granted, ours aren’t as… “spirited” as Anglin or the alt-right in general, and they usually try to maintain some composure. But yeah, they’re here too, and they’re the same.

I think our stricter laws on hate speech might be the reason why they seem more quiet. They police their tone a bit, but they also do more “concrete” activism – they might be more dangerous, but they don’t have a Trump as of now, so they’re still pretty harmless.

brian
brian

what the fuck?
how do you straight up admit you want to brainwash children while still maintaining that your cause is good and just?
it doesn’t make any goddamn sense.

Ooglyboggles

@brian
Well they assume every rights group is part of a conspiracy, so since their straw enemies are all insidious cowards, why shouldn’t they do the same?

“These feminists/jews/blacks/latino/leftist cultural marxists through insidious brainwashing, converting them when they are young with only the few of our allies able to escape their control. We must take our stand against this decadent society and develop the next generation of our neofascist movement, this event would be perfect.”

Or something like that I don’t know.

Serebrianyi Golub
Serebrianyi Golub

@Alan
That’s really interesting – I can see how “losers” could be even more thoroughly unappealing than “villains.” On this side of the pond, a lot of these same people (or ones with which they have significant overlap, anyway?) fetishize the civil war-era South, for which one of their affectionate pet names is “The Lost Cause.” So, they see the Confederacy as losers, yes – but romantic, beautiful losers. Maybe they see Nazis the same way? Some “Oh Adolf, you were too beautiful for this world” bullshit?

Kimstu
Kimstu

And what were the options, besides going hardcore? […]

Saying “save your race” or some other generic, vague, low-energy statement?

I’m noticing more and more that “low-energy” appears to be the new euphemism for “not aggressively belligerent or outrageous”.

Dalillama

I think it’s a Trumpism.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ Brian

I think it’s a post punk outrage for its own sake thing. There are no negative consequences for formally disgusting behaviour. They’re just following the model set by shock jocks and similar.

People don’t realise the real harm such actions can cause. Katie Hopkins or Ann Coulter can come out with stuff that in an earlier era would attract condemnation and shunning. Now they’re invited onto talkshows as entertaining eccentrics. You have to push the envelope now for your 15 minutes of fame in a competitive low attention span market.

Clickbait is the new Nuremberg.

@brian & Oogly

Yeah I think the message there is “better us than them” – “them” being, of course, THE EEVEL JOOS, who brainwash you and usury-rape you and Jew up your country, among other despicable evil things.

These guys really have their own mythology, heh.

@Kimstu & Dalillama

Yeah I seem to remember seeing it in tweets from Trump. Now the question is, did he borrow it from the alt-right, or the other way around ? Could be either, seeing as he takes his rhetoric from 4chan.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

There’s something deeply unsettling about the picture used for this post. Something about the sickly green and putrescent pink, the limp hair and dull, liquid eyes. Eugh. Looks like a pikachu corpse in a poorly-fitted uniform. Reminds me of a time I was asked to draw a picture of a character for someone, and they asked it to be put in a nazi SS uniform. Deeply unsettling.

Nequam
Nequam

Obviously we need more of Daffy Duck conking ol’ Adolf with a mallet.

Or maybe the Gremlins from the Kremlin:

nparker
nparker

How the-

Oh yes, this will totally work. You totally will convince loads of kids to support the guys who are named after the guys that had their faces melted off in Indiana Jones and got punched and locked in a cupboard in Doctor Who. You’re so totally going to convince children that the black and Jewish kids they play with are evil and should leave. You’re absolutely not going to be arrested for lurking around vulnerable kids. Much intelligent. So cleverness.

@Alan Robertshaw

Urgh, Katie Hopkins. What an evil, vile person. Every time she says anything evil comes out. Not a surprise the Daily Mail employed her, but not even they usually go as far as her. What she says about immigrants shouldn’t be printed by amy reputable news organisation, and her comments about those people who drowned should exclude her from public life forever.

@MexicanHotChocolate

Unrelated to the topic, but the Ancestry.com adverts annoy me so much! They make it look like you can just type your name in and your family history will spring up effortlessly for you- it takes years to make one! Its almost deceptive product description.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ nparker

Ooh, how could I have forgotten that?
comment image

ETA: how’s that picture moving?! It’s all gone Hogwarts!

Bina

Ha ha ha, not even hardly. At that age, my dad was playing hooky from the Hitlerjugend, and there was nothing they could do to stop him. He thought the Nazis were a bunch of mooks and wasn’t about to join any of their clubs. (He was 12 when the war ended, for those wondering.)

And just think, this was a prepubescent kid, and a fairly typical young German at that. Even at the height of his popularity, Hitler only had the votes of 2 out of 5 adult Germans. More typically, it was only 1 in 5.

Methinks someone grossly overestimates the appeal of his idiot ideology here.

AnneS
AnneS

I don’t know why I’m surprised that these people don’t understand Pokemon any better than they understand … well, anything else. Trainers hunt them down so that they can make friends with them!

(Admittedly one generally makes friends with a Pokemon by getting another Pokemon to beat it up and forcibly capturing it, but that’s because they’re a Proud Warrior Species and you have to prove yourself worthy by fighting them. After that, stuffing them full of berries and cake helps …)

jamesworkshop
jamesworkshop

The race war is coming.

They’ve been promising that for the last 40 years.

they are taking our women

and they do mean that quite literally in the sense of holding exclusive property rights.

I would have thought that anyone who cared about the future of the white race, would find Hitler pretty detestable considering the sheer scale of White deaths during WW2.

Viscaria
Viscaria

I mean, yeah, probably. From parents, who want to know who the fuck is giving their kids hate speech pamphlets.

rogue angel
rogue angel

Hi, there. Long-time lurker, first-time commenter here…maybe you’ve heard this tune before.

A lot of you folks have taken the words right out of my mouth already, in regards to the post. Finding Anglin’s latest gambit both sickening and pathetic? Check. Wondering if this attempt at radicalization of young people would even work? Check. Figuring that there are young, vulnerable people out there who’d get sucked into this particular movement (even in spite of the blatant hatred involved)? Check.

Anglin’s not even doing anything new here; AFAIK, his people have been playing this game for decades. I remember the day a former neo-Nazi gave a speech at my high school (about 20 years ago), walking us through his experiences and ultimately warning us about the people he used to be in with. “Don’t end up like me–running for your life, after wasting so much of it” seemed to be his main point. I’d thought (at the time) that Nazis had gone away back when World War Two ended, but…no. Maybe they never will, as long as ignorant people feel that hating [group of people] somehow makes them cool. (I’m no expert on the appeal of fringe political movements, but that’s my guess.)

Sorry for the “teal deer”, by the way, but this post kinda hit home for me.

Steampunked
Steampunked
Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

@Steampunked

How dare you use Jasper against me, my favorite gem, my beautiful, orange, fluffy, buff Cheeto puff, I am offended and also that was really good use of that gif kudos well done.

Steampunked
Steampunked

@Handsome “Punkle Stan” Jack:

(I am firmly of the belief that SU would be an excellent inoculation against Anime Nazis).

Edited: Why my gifs so teeny D:

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Current earworm. Marginally related. For all of you <3

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

Me, too. Also, I’m not over today’s episode and I think it’s been an hour, I don’t know, I have been Overwhelmed™ with…her. And Pearl’s outfit. And it’s amazing and it’s my favorite episode now, right up there with Earthlings.

@Scildfreja Unnýðnes

That is cute as hell. I love it when cartoons have excellent music like that.

I really need to get back into watching Gumball.

brian
brian

you guys might be right, but wow.
as much as I, hopefully obviously, believe that Nazis and white supremacists are horrible entities that should make feces ashamed to be associated with their heads, I’ve tended to assume that they are, at least, sincere in their odious beliefs. and if you sincerely believe that it’s “for the good of the white race” or whatever the fuck, I imagine you’d believe that the RIGHTNESS of the message should be able to convince people. that the TRUTH of your views would shatter the awful, manipulative lies of “the Jews” (or whoever… but it’s usually “the Jews” running things in their conspiracy theories, right?).
I mean, I got shit I believe in that I think is pretty important (that killing people is bad, that all humans deserve basic levels of dignity and respect, that the earth is getting to be in really terrible shape and we need to deal with that on a massive societal level right the fuck now, that your religious beliefs are your business but don’t give you the right to fuck with the business of anyone else, etc) but the idea of trying to BRAINWASH people to agree with me is ludicrous.
brainwashing is what you do to get people to believe garbage nonsense that doesn’t make rational sense. that’s why you have to wipe their minds clean to get it to take. it is, frankly, obviously, what VILLAINS do. so the idea that anyone who sincerely believes the garbage nonsense they are spouting ALSO says, “yeah, we gotta start brainwashing kids with this” just boggles me.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

Just out of curiousity, is there any level of blatant racism that a racist can reach which would make him not take offence at being called a racist?

I’ve never been able to understand why they can’t just own the fact that they’re racists. They’ll literally say “kill all jews”, and a second later they’ll be outraged by the suggestion that they might be a teensy bit racist.

I’ve heard my father-in-law say “blacks have a chip on their shoulder”, “blacks need to stop speaking ebonics if they want to be taken seriously”, “blacks just don’t want to work”, “blacks are lazy and want things for free”, “slavery was a big mistake, since it left us with a whole class of people who will never get over it and move on”, “blacks are named Tyrone or Lakiesha”, etc etc etc, and he’s still hugely offended that anyone might think of him as prejudiced in any way. He brags that he’s never treated anyone differently because of their ethnicity, and thus he’s not a racist.

To these people, everything about being a racist is a good thing, except self-identifying (or being identified) as racist. Why not just own the word? I’m not proud of the fact that I love burgers, but you’re not gonna see me claiming to hate the taste of burgers while eating a Triple Baconator.

@Brian

Pretty thick line between brainwashing and education. Incidentally, it’s also a decent moral compass.

ETA : @Petal

They do own the word now. At least the Stormer people do. When they’re called out on their racism, they wear it proudly. Pretty sickening.

ColeYote
ColeYote

@Bina

Methinks someone grossly overestimates the appeal of his idiot ideology here.

Neo-Nazis really have a talent for that.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

Andrew Anglin, visual approximation:

comment image

kupo
kupo

Ugh. I just can’t with today. At least I’m baking a cake.

epitome of incomprehensibility

This made me feel a bit better about having to hand out flyers for work – sure, most university students aren’t that excited about getting ads for a tutoring centre, but, hey, at least I’m not handing out neo-Nazi propaganda.

Which leads me to think… if this is real, who would actually DO this? Surely even hardened neo-Nazis have some inkling that many people regard their views as garbage, and wouldn’t want to run the risk of being charged with hate crimes and such… right?

1 2 3