men who should not ever be with women ever MGTOW misogyny reddit

Men Going Their Own Way are now wearing cargo shorts “as a form of protest”

Dressed to unimpress

So cargo shorts, a staple of casual menswear since the 1990s, are going out of style like, well, they’re going out of style.

The anti-cargo shorts backlash, many years in the making, kicked into high gear after the Wall Street Journal reported last month that increasing numbers of women have started resorting to drastic tactics to stop the dudes in their lives from wearing these new fashion no-nos. One man told the WSJ that his wife had secretly disposed of more than a dozen pairs of his over the years; another only wears them around the house when his wife is away, in what has become an act of “disobedien[ce] in my marriage.”

Within a few days the media was filled with denunciations of the (really quite comfortable) shorts. “Dear Men, Please Stop Wearing Cargo Shorts,” Buzzfeed urged, while Business Insider declared that cargo shorts are “the single worst item a man can wear in the summer.”

Really? Worse than these?

Are these really better than cargo shorts?
Are these really better than cargo shorts?

Now some Men Going Their Own Way have adopted the shorts as a way to stick it to women.

“I think of cargo shorts as a form of protest now,” a MGTOW called Tyler_Gatsby declared in a recent post on the MGTOW subreddit.

I wear them with pride. And with all that dick moving room, it almost feels like it’s flipping them off sometimes.

While it was news to many in Mr. Gatsby’s audience that a lot of people really hate cargo shorts, other Reddit MGTOWs reported that they too were wearing the shorts as an act of defiance against giant-pocket-hating feminazi gynocrats, or something.

“From now on, rebrand them as ‘Tactical Shorts,'” one commenter suggested. “It will piss off the Special Snoflakes to no end….”

Another reported that he’d been wearing the hell out of cargo shorts as soon as he discovered that a lot of women hate them.

I wore all mine until they fell apart, and wore them even more often once the fashion police took aim at them. Now I can’t buy any new ones these things were literally purged from existence by manginas and women.

Others went even further. Several confessed their love for “the ones with the zipped trousers – trousers and shorts in one!” And one bold fellow suggested escalating the protest:

Let’s take it a step further: denim cargo shorts.

The horror.

As for why women hate cargo shorts, most Reddit MGTOWs seem to agree it’s because women don’t like anything that is useful. And because the lustful ladies like staring at men’s butts.

“It does come down to something fundamental between men and women,” wrote someone calling themselves feedmecarrots.

Men love cargo shorts because they are functional. Women hate them because they do not enhance a man’s form.

Pfthewall lamented the evil hypocrisy of these butt-loving women:

You mean women get pissed when it is difficult for them to ogle men, all the while they complain about men ogling them?

Linux_Guy91, meanwhile, let loose with an angry rant centered abound his need to store phone chargers on his person.

Any chick who disses cargo shorts is ignorant as f*ck. I’ve had stares in the past from girls who would bug out when their phone was low on battery but didn’t have a charger on them because they couldn’t carry it in their tight pockets or wrist purse thing. My phone gets low, I pull out my charger and i’m good.

And these pocket-laden shorts come in especially handy when riding roller coasters.

Not to mention they’re awesome for when you don’t want to keep your wallet in your back pocket or if they have zipper pockets perfect for storing stuff if you like roller coasters. Functional > fashionable.

Duly noted.

In all my years of wearing cargo shorts, I think I’ve made use of the big pockets like once.

I still haven’t given my cargo shorts up, but I think I’ll have to now that they’ve gotten themselves drenched in the stench of MGTOW.

NOTE: Just FYI, the dudes in the top photo don’t have anything to do with the MGTOW subreddit post; the pic has been floating around the internet forever and seemed apropos

kupo
kupo

@joekster
I’ve been following it but hadn’t seen this development. Good. She never admitted it would have still been wrong if she’d just sent it to the friend like she intended. She thinks she’s not the type of person to body shame even though that’s exactly what she did. And she seems to think not intending to break the law is some kind of defense.

LaterSpaceCowboy
LaterSpaceCowboy

I liked cargo pants/shorts when they were in in the 90’s and I don’t really mind them now though I don’t own any. But what galls me here is that these guys are legitimately butthurt that this might have something to do with women wanting men to wear clothing that accentuates the male form (I doubt it does, but let’s just accept it hypothetically for now), yet they do not see the hypocrisy inherent in their desire for all women to be HB9+ which 100% guaranteed includes the makeup, hair styling, mani/pedi, yoga pants, crop tops, etc. that they want to see on women but P.S. she also can’t be a ‘dumb slut’ etc. Yuck.

ObviousSatire
ObviousSatire

Dang it, mgtows, why do you have to ruin a cherished meme like that?

joekster
joekster

@kupo: yeah, I’m not clear how she managed to avoid charges for taking a nude picture of someone else without their permission and posting it all over the internet. I’m pretty sure there are at least 2 or 3 laws prohibiting that…

@obvioussatire: double props for the pokemon RBY reference. That brings me back.

Ktoryx
Ktoryx

If men are oh-so-practical, why don’t they carry purses? Purses are the actual best. I am like a boy scout up in here – always prepared. At any given time, I have my phone, wallet, keys (obviously) a wrench, multitool, small flashlight, and work gloves for work, my journal and an assortment of pens and pencils in case I have a good idea on the fly (or in case I need a pen. You always need pens) Bus tokens/transfers, sometimes a snack/water bottle, sometimes cheques to be deposited or mail to be posted… try to put all that in cargo shorts and you’ve got stuff bumping against your legs all day, making it uncomfortable to move or sit down. I just sling it in my bag and away I go.

Oh yeah…. and I sewed the bag myself, out of old pairs of pants (not cargo shorts, but that would have been hilarious) So it was free, and custom built for my needs. Beat THAT, MGTOWS.

ALSO if guys are so practical and girls are so frivolous, why is it that whenever I’m out with a guy friend he always asks me to put stuff in my purse for him? Carry your own purse, dudebro, apparently you need it!

You guys, purses are great.

Tabby Lavalamp
Tabby Lavalamp

What’s extra funny about this is that these are the same sort of people who get pissed off when women don’t dress in a way they find attractive.

Paradoxical Intention - Mobile
Paradoxical Intention - Mobile

What do you call a herd of bonbons, anyway?

A “box”, usually.

As for pockets, there’s an awesome YouTuber I follow who does a lot of DIY sewing stuff, and she has had episodes on sewing pockets into clothes that don’t have them, as well as making tiny pockets bigger. Her name is Annika Victoria.

sillybill
sillybill

@Calmdown,
who is that? she needs cargo pockets.

@Scildfreja, you have a new (?) surnym, if I may be so nosy – what language, how do you pronounce, and what’s the leaned over d thingy?

@Joekster,
The demon lord B’harne must be destroyed! you reminded me about the jihad to destroy Barney – surprisingly jihad.net is still up even though noone has posted since 2006, i guess the internet never forgets.

Joekster
Joekster

@ktoryx: purses used to be considered ‘unmanly’ (yeah, I know, who cares, right?) but then they created computer bags. I never go anywhere without one.

Of course, as I pointed out above, my wife is the only person with a vote on my fashion sense, so there’s that 😉

@sillybill: I now have several alternate Barney songs we sang in the schoolyard when I was a kid running in my brain, which I will not repeat on the grounds that I just realized how incredibly racist they are. Ah, childhood in the wild Wild West.

LostInLindsey
LostInLindsey

I love cargo trousers and shorts but trying to get them in my size is difficult. I got a nice pair earlier in the summer and wore them constantly. Unfortunately, as with much of women’s clothing, the material was thin, the stitching poor and the pockets were two small amd not secure enough; they just weren’t built for practicality. I had to bin them after repairing them three times and replacing buttons on the leg pockets. It was very disappointing.

Since I can’t get them I’ve resorted to a back pack, I even made one myself that carries everything I need and can fit a small amount of shopping if necessary. In that front a bag is more useful than cargo trouserd or shorts.

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

They’re the best until you lose them.

Lea
Lea

Clip your keys to your purse with a D clip. That way, you only make it as far as your car without you purse.

(I’ve been living with ADD for a long time. I have developed certain skills.)

Skull
Skull

*facepalm* I just realized… my ex would ask me to carry crap in my purse for him all the time, and half that time he was wearing cargo shorts. x_X

Yeah, those pockets are really useful.

I think one of my pairs of pants are technically cargo pants, they have pockets that I never use on the sides of the legs. I never use them because putting a bunch of stuff in pants pockets make them heavy and make the pants droop & look stupid.

That’s just me though, I don’t give a crap what those idiots are wearing. Though if they wear those shirts it’s a handy sign for me to avoid them.

Ktoryx
Ktoryx

They’re the best until you lose them.

Ah, you just need to do what I do and develop a case of the ol’ “phantom purse”. If I’m out in public and I step away from my purse for a moment, it feels like my arm is missing or something. When you carry something every single day, you get so used to that weight at your hip that having it missing is really conspicuous.

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

comment image

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

@sillybill I can’t answer your other questions, but the letter you are referring to is eth, used in the Icelandic language.

joekster
joekster

OH, and just for kicks, I looked at the buzzfeed article and saw a number of posts from people claiming to be feminists pointing out that feminists should be as much against judging men for wearing cargo shorts as they are against judging women for any fashion choices.

So there, MGTOWs. Don’t confuse ‘things done by women’ with ‘things feminists approve of’. Thank you.

Kat
Kat

@joekster
I can’t say I’m upset that a Playboy Playmate might go to jail for using social media to attempt to humiliate a woman in her 70s for not looking like a Playboy Playmate.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

This is irrelevant to the topic, but I have never been able to understand why people actually use their back pockets, or why they even exist. Why would you want to sit on your wallet/phone/secret candy supply? If Katie intended for us to sit uncomfortably on our belongings and slowly crush them with our glorious asses, She would’ve created us with a wallet and smartphone already attached to our buttocks at birth. Sheeple, wake up.

Kat
Kat

@Megalibrarygirl

A herd of bonbons?

They would be bonbonobos.

That’s a joke worth delurking for!

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ IP

why people actually use their back pockets

One of the major causes of back problems in men is sitting on wallets, especially during car journeys.

Kat
Kat

@IP

I don’t see the purpose of back pockets — but then again, I don’t know what the gall bladder does.

Checkmate, sheeple shamer!

Joekster
Joekster

@IP, Kat: I also do not understand the purpose of a back pocket, and I DO know what the gallbladder does: it stores bile (gall), which in turn helps digest fat.
Now you know what a gallbladder does too, but I bet you’re still confused about the function of a back pocket. All I can think of is, to keep chiropractors in business?

OwlAboutIt
OwlAboutIt

@joekster: According to one article, she avoided charges because her victim could not be identified, and without an identifiable victim they couldn’t file charges. However, someone claiming to be the victim has no come forward, which may change things.

@Fishy Goat: eth was a letter in English, too, back when it was Anglo-Saxon.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

As the fishygoat said above, ð is an “eth”, which is a soft “th” sound, as in “thing”. It currently exists in Icelandic and Faroese, but my use is Anglo-Saxon. My brain generally blurs the d and th sounds together for some reason, so I often read it as “dh”, but that’s technically incorrect. (Though I venture to say that a dh in the middle of a word instead of a th would be highly understandable as the word-in-question given how close they sound!)

Unnýðnes is ye olde Englishe for “free from anger, ” or “peace.” Mostly something to remind me to not get too upset over things 😉

Kat
Kat

@joekster, @IP
Sheeple shamers, both of you.

Her Grace Phryne: Tool of the Butt-Worshipping, Lesbian-Powered Elite
Her Grace Phryne: Tool of the Butt-Worshipping, Lesbian-Powered Elite

I like cargo pants. And my husband just picked up cargo shorts over the summer, which he loves because he can carry stuff at work (bags on a factory floor are frowned upon, to put it mildly).

Phyllis whatserface, no love lost there.

Bags: I have a huge one and a backpack, but I’m thinking about using the smaller one soon (it lives in the huge one, actually).

I like pockets, and my external battery charger fits nicely in my cargo pocket. I should just get a sewing machine and make my own pants, but meh. That takes time and effort and money, none of which I have right now thanks to school.

dlouwe
dlouwe

@Joekster

I use my back pocket for transporting my wallet between the places where I’m sitting. I’ve stopped sitting on it due to the very obvious problems it caused my leg/back, but it’s still the most “natural” feeling place for me to carry it.

Cygnia

Screw you, menz! I’m claiming overalls and cargo shorts for me and my purse-hating ways!

Seriously, I need pockets and hate carrying a purse. Women’s shorts never have deep enough pockets for me.

Dalillama
Dalillama

@Joekster

I also do not understand the purpose of a back pocket

So that you can conveniently access the contents whilst riding a horse and wearing chaps. If that’s not a part of your daily routine, then they really haven’t any.

Kootiepatra

@Kat & Joekster – Yep, gallbladders are pretty useful until they try to kill you. (I got liberated from mine earlier this year and am still a teensie bit bitter at its betrayal. I TRUSTED YOU, GALLBLADDER.)

Sascha Vykos
Sascha Vykos

I don’t get the problem with cargo shorts at all. Is it because they are too 90s or grunge, and now that the people who were in HS and college then are now in their 30s and 40s it’s like they have to graduate to…. I don’t even know. Golf shorts? Pants? Who cares?

I’m female and my all-time favorite skirt (that I will never be able to replace!) was a cargo skirt. And I did use the pockets because I never carried a purse back then. Bank card, ID, keys, smokes and a lighter. Maybe some lip gloss or gum. Fruit, periodically. I loved that skirt.

Joekster
Joekster

@kootie: that gallbladder looks so sad. WONT ANYONE THINK IF THE GALLBLADDERS?!

I’ll stop now 😝

In all seriousness, I hope you’re doing okay. Gallbladder surgery is fairly routine, but even routine surgeries can go wrong.

@Phryne: I haven’t crossed threads with you for awhile. How’s it going, if I may ask?

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

Re: back pockets
I shift things from front to back to left to right. I don’t like the permanence of having things in the same pocket all the time. My jeans remain in a state of constant flux

sillybill
sillybill

@Fishy Goat and Scildfreja,
Thanks for the pronunciation and meaning.

Rhuu
Rhuu

In the spirit of an earlier discussion, a friend came over tonight and we transfered our beer from the primary to the secondary. Then we tried some of the salsa my room mate and i made yesterday, which turned out to be fantastic. The perfect amoubt of spice for our group!

So, in the coming apocalypse, i currently have 10 jars of salsa and four beers. (My friend gets the other four). Come at me, bro!

Mike Hisandry
Mike Hisandry

MGTOW spend really a lot of effort altering their behavior based on what they think women think about them.

That sounds so exhausting.

Paradoxical Intention - Mobile
Paradoxical Intention - Mobile

Mike Hisandry | September 6, 2016 at 8:41 pm

That sounds so exhausting

I actually have some personal real-life experience with this sort of mentality.

I spent a lot of time as a kid and a teen trying very hard to be what people wanted me to be. I obsessed over my weight, I tried to wear the “right” clothes, I tried to do all the things that I thought would make people like me, or at the very least tolerate my presence and not despise me.

Thanks to a shitty parental figure in my life that I’ve never forgiven, and a few shitty teens that I have, I never felt good enough for anyone, and that meant I wasn’t good enough for myself. That coupled with depression and constant verbal abuse led me to awful places.

Eventually, I realized that I don’t give a shit about those people, and they’ll never give a shit about me, so why bother?

“Those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind”.

Which is why I kind of pity dudes like this. Not a lot, mind you, but a little. In a way, they’re setting themselves up for misery, because we feeeemales don’t care what they do.

Bina

That sounds so exhausting.

Right? I thought they were supposed to be utterly unconcerned with us. And instead, here, they’re actively seeking to repulse us by whatever absurd means they can find. Which means they’re actually obsessing over us. And projecting like Bell & Howell.

I guess it’s a kind of going-their-own-way, in reverse: Instead of them doing the going-away, it’s supposed to be us? ManLogic™…

NiOg, Adorator Culorum Actus Lesbiis
NiOg, Adorator Culorum Actus Lesbiis

on back pockets: They used to be a lot more useful back in the ’20’s and ’30’s, when waistlines on both men’s and women’s pants were much higher. You can see this if you look at old fashion illustrations of the time (I recommend googling Leyendecker). The (relatively) recent trend of waistlines hugging the lower hips and sometimes even below the pubis bone puts traditional pocket real estate in a very odd place, whereas before they were above the folding parts of the leg.

To any dudely dudes who want a stylish alternative to cargo shorts, but with sensible pockets and whatnot, may I humbly suggest looking at utilikilts? (Yes, they cost the earth, but my ex-hubbo swears they are worth the expense).

EJ (The Other One)

@Axe:
I’m with Lea on this one. Wallet in right pocket, keys and work swipe card in left pocket. Phone in right inside jacket pocket, train ticket in left inside jacket pocket. Always. They do not twitch around.

I’ve found that no matter how scatterbrained I feel on a particular day, I can train my body memory to check that I have all these things and so not end up forgetting these things.

Her Grace Phryne: Tool of the Butt-Worshipping, Lesbian-Powered Elite
Her Grace Phryne: Tool of the Butt-Worshipping, Lesbian-Powered Elite

@Joekster: Pretty good! Been busy as all get out with school starting for both me and the little dude, so I haven’t been around as much. (Although last week was… not so great in the school department. I attended one full class, that was it. Monday I mixed up the time the class started, Wednesday I was all ready to go and waiting for the Significant Otter to get home but it turned out that the guy he was picking up was way the hell out in the middle of nowhere and hadn’t bothered to inform us about it, so I missed. Thursday Small Otter had an eye doctor appointment that we’d been waiting on for a month that was at the same time as my class, and Friday didn’t work out due to scheduling issues that we really have to figure out; the class is at the same time Small Otter gets out of school, and we have to pick him up because we’re not in bus range (he’s in the school he started at, not the one that’s technically local, but it’s in the same district so it’s not a huge deal, we just have to get him there and home every day), so I think I’m going to contact his teacher and just pick him up an hour early every Friday.)

tl;dr: Last week sucked school-wise. This week is already weird because of Labor Day but hopefully things will work out. Tomorrow’s also weird because Small Otter has a late start, while Significant Otter has an appointment that starts before he can drop off Small Otter, so… I should get to bed because I’ll be driving, then sitting on my butt at home until I have to leave for school, then pick up the little dude, then do homework and yell at him to do homework until one of us starts crying, most likely.

And I just tl;dr’ed again. All that without even going into the ridiculous drama that people tried to pull us into and which I successfully resisted. But thank you for asking! How are you?

ETA: re: body memory: I generally do something similar, I have a checklist before I head out the door (“keys, wallet, phone, water bottle, e-cig”), but the other day I replaced “phone” with “get gas” and… forgot my phone. Oops. I somehow managed to forget it again today, but that’s because I was rushing. At least I didn’t have to be out long today.

tim gueguen

Back pockets are a handy place to put Kleenex in.

jamesworkshop
jamesworkshop

“From now on, rebrand them as ‘Tactical Shorts,’” one commenter suggested. “It will piss off the Special Snoflakes to no end….”

Feminism Proving Popular With Men After Being Re-Released In Tactical Matte Black

Owners of the tactical matte black edition of feminism have been enjoying a new understanding of the ways in which rigid gender roles for men lock them into a system of unhealthy goals that result in stunted emotional growth, violent outbursts, poor relationships, and eventual suicide. They also receive a bunch of protein bars.

Boogerghost
Boogerghost

Not fair! “Functional > fashionable” is feminism’s thing! I’ve been saying that since childhood. And as a junior high girl I wore cargo shorts every single day. Every day. Nobody looked twice at the boys who did so, but I was seriously, freakishly uncool. The consequence for them is “fine, you could look sexier, but fine.” For us it’s “OH MY GOD EWWW WHERE IS HER BUTT CALL THE GENDER POLICE THIS IS A BUTT EMERGENCY ALSO, GAAAAAAAY.” This is “women never had to suffer for their love of video games!!” all over again.

I’m all for men showing off their butts, MGTOWs, but even postfeminists aren’t that obsessed with seeing yours.

@jamesworkshop Oh well done.

Kat
Kat

Oh yeah, me too.

Here’s to Amelia Bloomer, who suffered for her 1850s feminist fashion — loose trousers under a short skirt.

Women who wore “bloomers” were the objects of unrelenting ridicule. Small boys followed them around and mocked them.

Eventually, even Amelia Bloomer gave up on bloomers. But she led the way, thank Katie!

Saphira
Saphira

WONT ANYONE THINK IF THE GALLBLADDERS?!

I don’t have one, so . . . nope.

Amused

Practical people carry purses. Everything you need is in one place. My purse is my goddamned survival kit. Sure, sometimes the thing you need is stuck on the bottom or in a crease, and it takes maybe 10 seconds to find it, and it’s momentarily frustrating — but it sure beats going through the various nooks and crannies of one’s clothing, looking for stuff, not to menton the limited capacity of pockets. In my work, I often go through security checkpoints, and there’s nothing more tedious than watching some dude excavate his 84000000 pockets and go through the detector half a dozen times before having an epiphany that it’s his obligatory belt that’s setting the thing off. Male clothing practical? Give me a break.

Guys: purses is where it’s at. They are awsome, trust me. By the way, speaking of the wildly varying cultural norms of masculinity, I’ve recently been to southern Italy — reportedly, one of the most macho cultures in existence — and there, the “murse” seems to be an essential part of a gentleman’s outfit. Somehow, murse-carrying Italian men (who, incidentally, wouldn’t be caught dead wearing cargo shorts) manage to get laid.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@EJ
I’d forget things even if they did have a designated place. I’m scatterbrained like that. Besides, 99.9% of my ventures ‘outside’ (hisss) are to some store or other. Don’t exactly need to be strapped to the gills with stuff. The most important thing I leave with is my bookbag. Put the things I buy in there for easier conveyance 🙂

fuzzymucus
fuzzymucus

I have worn cargo shorts(and trousers) stubbornly for years despite everyone telling me they are unfashionable. I do a lot of hiking/photography which necessitates many large pockets. Now that this has become a symbol of meninists I might just have to give them up.

Thanks jerks.