Uncategorized

Posts will be a bit light for a few days

What? I'll stand here if I want.
What? I’ll stand here if I want.

Hey, folks. I’m taking care of some non-blog business (nothing bad), so posts will likely be a bit light for a few days, and moderation will be a bit slow. But please keep sending tips!

In the meantime, here’s a cat. I posted this one before but, come on, this is an excellent cat who deserves some more publicity.

@Sinkable John
My insomnia is always temporary, so sleep aids only working as a temporary measure isn’t as much of a problem for me. Sorry to hear it’s not the same for you. I take it France doesn’t even have legal Marijuana prescriptions? I would say you should move here where it’s legal but we’re so messed up I don’t even want to live here.

@kupo

Blatant self-quoting incoming, because I’m ashamed to admit this a second time on the same thread :

Sorry, I don’t remember where you live, stoopid memory never registering the right stuff.

France has no legal marijuana whatsoever. Not medical, not even substitute drugs based on it (although arguably those wouldn’t help in my case). Most of my friends have already had to pay the ridiculous fines, had to go through the ridiculous “civility classes” teaching them they’re funding terrorism each time they roll a joint. Only reason I’ve escaped it so far is that I got lucky, even though I still have a good number of really bad memories involving the police.

Just to put everything in context, the ruling party is called the “socialist party” and is about as close to socialism as I am to the religious right. Our national pride is that of the land of Enlightenment, Human Rights, etc. Really we’re probably just as messed up as you say you are, we’re just very good at hiding it.

Redsilkphoenix
Redsilkphoenix

OT for this thread, but semi-OT for the site in general:

Basic premise of this article is that since Americans have long since abandoned informative/newsworthy TV shows (aka shows that make you think about the issues of the day) for the likes of reality TV (aka mindless entertainment) and since Trump is far more entertaining like reality TV than Clinton will ever be, Trump gets to be president. And all those people telling pollsters they’re voting for Clinton are lying because they’re too embarrassed to admit they like trashy Trump TV in front of strangers.

So do any of the more more politically savy folks around here think this theory holds water, or not?

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko

On one hand, it’s true that Trump has found the canyon-sized keyhole into american politics : it is reality TV. From a foreign perspective, it was always obvious : the mere production value of your presidential campaigns is absolutely outlandish to us. It’s Hollywood meets politics. By the way we love making fun of you for that. And then we go on with our equally ridiculous elections, but hey, at least we’re ridiculous in different ways ! 🙂

On the other hand, I don’t believe people are “lying” in polls. That seems pretty far-fetched to me. And I don’t think they’d vote for Trump because of his dubious entertainment value, regardless of his actual politics. And the bit about America being “TV culture” and nothing else is really caricatural. You can’t exactly make political predictions based on caricature.

No, I think there’s another explanation to Trump managing to go as far as he did, and it’s both simpler and more complicated : society is churning nihilism by the truckload.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

@Sinkable John

Imaginary Petal = Gothenburg, Sweden

kupo = WA, USA

🙂

@Redsilkphoenix

No. I’m not very politically savvy, but that theory leaks worse than John Boehner.

@Redsilkphoenix
There’s this idea called the Bradley Effect, which states that people lie on polls in order to avoid other people in their peer group disapproving of their choices. Then they get into the voting booth and do the opposite
Problem is, the Bradley Effect is suspect at best, and, regardless, Trump seems to have the opposite problem. During the primary, his polling numbers were regularly higher than his results ended up being. Reason? I don’t know. Nobody does. Anyone who tells you they do ain’t worth listening to. Maybe after the election, but it’s way too early to assume things about the psychology of the electorate

Also (forgive me, I’m in a ranty mood), shut up, Eve or whoever wrote this drivel. TV has always had mindless entertainment. Just cos you’re too bougie for Real Housewives of Atlanta doesn’t make you smarter than everyone else (note: RHOA is the one with a lot of black women. Just sayin). Maybe point the doom and gloom at yourself. You’re the one makin stupid ass assumptions about people. Ever stop to think, you’re brand of unearned arrogance is the reason for Trump? Didn’t think so. And name dropping some French muffuga, like we’re supposed to be impressed. Jackasscomment image
Tell em, Nene

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ sinkable john

I don’t believe people are “lying” in polls

There’s a phenomenon that’s been identified over here called the “shy tory” effect. Essentially people are reluctant to admit to pollsters that they support an unpopular cause.

It only amounts to about a 5-10% error, but it was enough for the polls to get the last general election result and the EU referendum wrong.

It seems to be a new thing so the pollsters are still working on a way of correcting for it.

Don’t know if there’s anything similar in the US, the Trump supporters seem pretty vocal about their choice.

ETA: ninja’d by Axe

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko

Aren’t polls anonymous though ? Just like voting itself. That would defeat the point of lying. Unless people are watching you. Like closely.

I get that people can be shy about controversial views. Pro tip to them : if you’re ashamed of your political inclination, then you might just want to, y’know, like, um, well, rethink it.

Second pro tip : if you’re genuinely concerned you’re gonna be persecuted because you support Trump, then do not rethink your positions, and do not, god forbid, become a feminist or anti-racist. You’d never handle the actual backlash.

ETA : @Imaginary Petal

Thanks for the reminder 🙂

dlouwe
dlouwe

I’m an avid ASMR video watcher (or rather, listener) – I don’t experience the “tingles” particularly often (it takes very particular triggers) but I find them to be really relaxing and great background noise. They will put me to right to sleep if I’m in bed, regardless of whether or not they’re giving me “tingles.”

@Sinkable John

I would specifically recommend guided meditation type ASMR videos to help with sleep, though different things work for different people. Just today I had a friend telling me about how hair-brushing videos were recently helping her deal with her insomnia.

Also somewhat related, “hypnosis” audio tracks (can also be found on youtube) are probably the most effective thing I’ve found at putting me to sleep. They do a great job of A) relaxing your body physically, and B) providing a low-stimulus task for your brain to focus on. I don’t have any experience with insomnia so I can’t speak for what is effective in that situation, but damn does it work for me. I will usually be out like a light in the first 10 minutes of an hour-long video.

edit: just realized I replied to the bottom of page 2 before reading page 3. So, sorry if I kinda jumped the convo a bit!

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ sinkable john

Aren’t polls anonymous though ?

Yup, but one thing that has been noted is that you get different results from totally computerised polling (where people are just left at a terminal) than face to face or telephone polling. But it may be there are other variables at play.

@Petal
Good memory! (I always picture you as Fingie because of your avatar, which makes it even more impressive.)

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

Thank you so much everybody for your thoughts re my OCD student. I have a clearer idea of how to proceed now, and I feel a bit less stressed about it.

@ Sinkable John – reading about your ordeals made me cry (although I am a tad fragile atm anyway). Medicinal cannabis recently became legal in Aust. so you can come live here any time. The cats will love it 😀

@ Imaginary Petal – I saw your photo of Fingie the other day and squeeeeeed all over the place. He has a look of utter relief combined with quiet resentment!

epitome of incomprehensibility

@Sinkable John – this was a while ago, but thanks for the answer and I wish you the best with your music plans! And I hope the insomnia becomes more bearable. Even temporarily it’s awful.

@Mish – my experience is more about having ADHD and tutoring students with it, but one thing that might help is finding a de-stressing activity that the student can do in a classroom setting. For me it was drawing – I still remember my 5th grade teacher giving me a notepad and allowing me some time to draw. She was great at being flexible while setting boundaries (“here’s when you can draw and when you can’t”) and it showed me she cared. Anyway, you sound like a caring teacher and I’m sure that comes across in the classroom!

Bryce
Bryce

Clinton’s well ahead in almost all the polls. It doesn’t seem like stalwart Trump supporters would feel the need to lie, or for that matter care about approval from people they’re likely to despise anyway.

There’s the Trump-as-protest-vote, Bernie-or-bust crowds, but…typically that sort of vote tends to fall away the closer it is to an election.

@Mish

I’m sorry 🙁
Yesterday was one of the bad days, I was pretty upset about it. ’tis better now.

I’m actually considering moving somewhere with legal weed but I’m scared I might be stuck here for dumb sentimental reasons. I hoping that might change this year.

@epitome of incomprehensibility

I reckon it’s probably even more awful when it’s temporary. I mean, I’ve had my whole life to learn to live with it, enough to understand the inner dyanmics and predict whether I’m gonna be able to sleep or not. Plus I already know to avoid jobs that won’t work well with it. Also I’m a 4am writer anyway, so I pretty much need it by now :p
On the other hand, when it hits in the middle of your life just like that and you’ve never been prepared for it… I can’t imagine how hard that would be.

@Bryce

That’s what happened here in 2002. That’s how ol’ One-Eye came pretty close to being president. America is a different context but I think something similar is happening there.

Some seem to think that derailing the train is the best solution. That electing Trump will spark a revolution or something.

JennyWren
JennyWren

Hey all,

Has anyone heard the “Witches of Eastwick” musical? There’s this song in the second act that’s like a PUA anthem:

I mean,
As everyone knows,
When women are near,
A guy has to say
What a gal wants to hear

It invokes religion at the end, as if it knew Roosh’s career trajectory years before it happened:
Don’t believe me? Read your Bible, it’s there in the original plan

In the first act, this character is trying to get into the pants of the female leads, and says quite a few straw-feminist things, like “oh, men are all terrible and started all the wars” but once he’s suckered them in, he reveals his true thoughts in this song. And he’s the villain!

EDIT: Hmm, looks like I haven’t quite figured out how to embed video yet.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

@ Sinkable John – please don’t apologise! I didn’t mean it in an accusatory fashion. I was just thinking of you all locked up and alone and over-medicated and it was horrible 🙁
Glad you’re feeling a bit better.
I was overly sad anyway; it’s been a bit of a rough week with too much hard stuff happening. But it’s Friday night (here, anyway) and I have the place to myself (and the cats), and some wine 😀

@ epitome of incomprehensibility – thank you for your lovely comment. It’s a tricky balance caring for grown-up students (well, they’re technically grown-ups!!) because obviously one doesn’t want to smother them or patronise them. But this particular course caters to people from disadvantaged backgrounds with minimal education, so they sometimes need a different kind of help than my regular uni students. I’ll talk to this person next week and ask him if there’s anything we can change that might help.

@Mish

There might be a law somewhere that states that I’m not allowed to admit this in public for the sake of our national stereotype industry, but I can’t stomach wine anymore. It just makes me quite literally sick, even the good stuff. I blame my teenage years spent getting drunk on awful boxed wine.

Although even when it doesn’t make me sick, it gives me the sads.

Some French I am.

On the other hand I found out about an awesome brewery near where I live that makes some of the best feel-good-beer I ever tasted.

JoeB
JoeB

@Sinkable John, Alan Robertshaw, others

The biggest and simplest factor in the interior acoustics of a sub is soundproof mounts everywhere. There just isn’t a lot of metal to metal contact over the space of a couple compartments.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ joeb

Ah, thanks for that. It was weird how sound just seemed to be swallowed up in there. Like you had to almost shout just to talk to someone a few yards away.

I trust the disco facilities on the LA class were up to scratch; should be, they cost enough.

numerobis
numerobis

@epitome of incomprehensibility: you’re québécois.e?

Yesterday I had four toast with peanut butter then went to bed at 20h when it got dark and fell asleep on the spot; I think my cats feared I was dead. Not sure if it was social anxiety or overworking or the change of seasons (I’m weirded out with this sensation of not being hot).

Free-associating, I’m led to wonder if Sinkable John just needs to eat peanut butter. Good luck finding it in France though.

rugbyyogi
rugbyyogi

My ex and I are still connected on facebook. And although I have a policy of not engaging with him at all on FB over politics – because, y’know – I don’t know what will set him off, it’s been very hard not to call him on his bullshit.

In a recent FB post he and a friend traded praise for Donald Trump and how presidential he seemed in Mexico and how Donald’s comments about Mexicans weren’t really that racist because he said some Mexicans, and of course some Mexicans are criminals, aren’t they? And anyway, the NYT is owned* by a Lebanese-Mexican who has it in for Trump.

What really burns my chaps about this is that this public explanation of how Donald Trump isn’t really racist (or sexist) is some sort of open appeasement of how Donald isn’t really racist, but in fact is just a sensible guy with sensible policies. But in private, I know that my ex is a rampant racist and sexist and he likes Donald Trump precisely BECAUSE he has these views. It scares the shit out of me that he’s poisoning my son with these views. I’m regularly getting questions from my son about Donald Trump, so I know that my ex is lecturing him with his vile views on the world just as he once lectured me endlessly.

But this is what I’m seeing on my FB from other people as well, this post-hoc rationalisation of what Donald Trump said, picking apart his words and being all he didn’t say all the Mexicans and Donald Trump loves a taco salad, after all… This worries me about the polling, etc – and a disposition of justifying all his stupid shit (spur of the moment Mexico visit, racist shit, sexist shit, incomprehensible garbage shit…what he really meant was…)

And that’s how Donald Trump could win.

___
*Carlos Slim, a Mexican billionaire of Lebanese descent does own around 17% of the NYT as far as I can tell…. however, I wondered how my ex knew this… Google search: Breitbart and a primary season love-in article between Steve Bannon and Trump which masqueraded as news.

Kat
Kat

@rugbyyogi

That Donald Trump: So reasonable! So well spoken!

But now that Donald’s surrogate has said that if Hillary wins, there will be a taco truck on every corner — well, that’s it. I’m definitely voting Clinton.

A vote for her is a vote for incredible, accessible deliciousness everywhere in the USA. I’m not passing up this opportunity!

richardbillericay
richardbillericay

Re lying on polls, the anonymity of the poll doesn’t necessarily help if the respondent doesn’t trust the pollster*. Given the amount of paranoia about the federal government and NWO amongst even the more mainstream conservatives, that could create a significant error, but how significant is anyone’s guess – probably not enough to overturn the polls. Unless the anomalies of the current election invalidate some basic assumption of the statisticians, Clinton is set to win. It just feels like Trump ought to be doing better because he keeps grabbing all the headlines. Hopefully his bluster will run out come election day.
* As an aside, the US military developed a neat scheme to get around this in order to get statistics on drug use by the respond putting tokens signifying a yes or no into a bag which already contained sone randomly chosen tokens. It was impossible to tell from the contents of any bag what the response was, but the total number of tokens collected revealed the total number who admitted drug use.

@rugby

It scares the shit out of me that he’s poisoning my son with these views

Sorry for prying, but is it working? Son’s asking questions, so is that good? I hope, for both of your sakes, it’s a good thing
Does he seem convinced by his father’s shittery and just using you to confirm (depending on how bad it’s gotten, Son might take your disapproval as proof. ‘If the [slur] says it’s wrong, it must be right’ kinda thing)? Or does it more seem like he’s looking to you for answers (like he’s doubting Ex’s words and trusts you to be the ‘voice of reason’)

Regardless, and whether or not you know (or care to humor my nonsense with a response), stay strong. I wish only the best for both you and Son. And all of Ex’s furniture can turn into legos for all I care 😠

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

@ Axe, in one of your first comments that I read here, you described yourself as “not a very nice person”.
Now, are there actually two of you (good and evil Axe); were you fibbing back then; have you undergone significant changes – or what?
Rhetorical questions are now a method to make convoluted compliments 😀

@Mish

Ain’t gonna lie, that was cute. To answer your rhetorical, a bit of each. it’s mostly peer pressure from people I admire, the magic of revisable text communication, and the fact I don’t hafta be around y’all anymore than I absolutely wanna. Obligation breeds acrimony 😉

Rhetorical questions are now a method to make convoluted compliments

*snuggles avatar like a sleepy dog* <3

Shadow
Shadow

@Sinkable John

I don’t deal with insomnia but I do deal with struggling to fall asleep. Even when I’m absolutely exhausted it can take me hours to fall asleep from when I lie down, and the longer it takes the more brain lock I have, which means it takes even longer to sleep. Something that I’ve found helpful to slow my brain down is to play episodes of shows that I’ve watched a lot of in the background. Of course this only helps because I have shows like The Simpsons that I basically know by heart, so my brain can recall what’s going on without any thought. I doubt it’ll be helpful for your insomnia but it may help slow your mind down

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko

Evil Axe is the one who takes over when someone says dumb shit or uses inappropriate language. Then he slinks back into Good Axe’s pocket (not the one where he keeps theories).

@rugbyyogi

I’ve been in your son’s position ! It’s a shitty place to be.

What worked for me is that my mother, instead of simply rebutting the bullshit, gave me the tools to do it myself. That’s why I’m much more critical of my father than she is, even though she’s the one who suffered more. Same went for politics. That really helped me out of the “who’s telling the truth, or are they both bullshitting me ?” situation.

The important thing is to make sure your son doesn’t feel like he’s manipulated into being the ball in some sick game between adults.

Now to be fair I have absolutely no idea what kinda tools are appropriate to help a kid form a reasonable opinion on Trump.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko

ETA cause again I forgot to refresh and check if there was anything new before posting.

@Shadow

I don’t watch a lot of TV so that method wouldn’t work, but I’ve tried similar methods with for example music, and it goes back to the same problem that my brain will use the slightest excuse to get to full speed. I don’t know if it’s the main reason for my insomnia but it certainly contributes to it – along with giving other kinds of problems in my waking time. For example I can have severe attention lapses in the middle of conversations because a single word that the other person said can trigger a huge chain of reactions in my thoughts, and I can’t process everything. It happens when reading too.

I think I might need a new brain. This one’s broken.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

There is a social acceptability factor where some small percentage of people will lie on polls and in studies they’re participating in rather than admit to something they view as socially unacceptable. The anonymity doesn’t matter with these people. I don’t have a link on the subject though. I just remember learning about it in college.

I actually have a hunch that there will be Republican women voting for Hillary Clinton who will never admit it. It’s complete speculation and I could be wrong, but that’s my gut. When I was door knocking and fundraising for John Kerry back in 2004, I had a few women chase me down the street after rejecting me at their door to slip me cash and tell me they were secretly voting for Kerry. Bush was a lot more palatable to mainstream Republicans than Trump is, so my guess based on past experience is that there’s a sizable number of woman voters in conservative families going turncoat this year.

Take me with a whole salt flat though because this is based on feeling more than fact.

@John

Not quite. If Evil Axe fully took over, I’d be banned 😛

Runnin outta fuckin pockets, yo. And I hate cargo pants…

Anyway, we seem to be back on sleep. So here goes. I’ve been having some trouble, not nearly Submersible Jean trouble, staying out. Passing out is easy. Then, I’m back awake. I refrain from looking at my tablet screen to check the time, cos bright lights interrupt sleep patterns. On the occasions when my will has failed, it’s usually 3-4 hours max. Turn over to try again, and an hour later I’m awake again. Rinse and repeat ad absurdum. By the time I decide to call it quits and just get up, it’s been about 7hrs. Doesn’t feel like it. Any advice, yall? Very preferably drug free and cheap

@WWTH
Trump has underperformed his polls thus far, so I buy it

@WWTH

Okay that makes a lot of sense to me. From where I stand (and that would be across the goddamn ocean so my perspective ain’t worth much) it’s not that surprising that Trump managed to go this far, but the real battle is far from won. France in 2002 had a somewhat similar crisis (our election system is completely different so that throws the equation off in a way) and it ended up with ol’ One-Eye failing miserably. Granted, the situation was very different, but the premise is the same : some unfathomable asshole manages to get scarily close to presidency through “unconventional” means. So if 2002 here is any indication, and it probably isn’t, Trump is gonna get humiliated.

@Axe

Submersible Jean is my female narcoleptic twin. (And possibly evil too, unless she’s the good one, it’s unclear.)

I may have an idea but I’m not sure. Can you describe your “short sleep” ? Does it feel like you haven’t been sleeping at all when you wake up, like suddenly realizing you’re lying there instead of the usual “wake up” feeling ? Or is it just like “normal” sleep, except much shorter ?

@Diving Johan
Both the former and the latter
The former is fine. Used to it. Not a problem. I wake up a bit groggy, but it more feels as if time jumped forward and I missed it. Tell me if that’s a some sorta actual, medical problem, but it works fine for me

The latter is my current issue. I even have dreams sometimes. Which sucks, cos I hate dreaming. I usually have no knowledge of my dreams the instant I wake up, but it seems like, if I wake up in the middle of said dreams, they stick in my mind longer. Makes the whole experience rather bizarre…

@Axe

Welp. That definitely complicates matters.

REM sleep and dreaming in general is a weird, complicated, potentially shitty matter. And I don’t have a solution that doesn’t involve drugs.

Only way I’ve found to evade it altogether is alcohol, because it basically kills that sleep stage. There you have half the reason for me being slightly drunk right now and an alcoholic in general. Thing is, the result is that it shortens your sleep, so you don’t want that.
The other way is weed – it doesn’t suppress dreams, but it makes you sleep so deeply you can’t remember them even if you spend the whole morning trying. Deeper sleep also seems to cause longer sleep in general, so that’s one way, but you said you wanna avoid drugs so alcohol and weed don’t help a lot here.

We need someone with actual brain science knowledge in here*, ’cause I’m stumped. Although, knowing why you don’t wanna dream in the first place might help. I know why I don’t want to, and it doesn’t help because it’s an unchangeable thing (I stated somewhere why I prefer scary nightmares to the “good dreams”) but in your case it might be the key, maybe. It’s a big maybe.

As an aside and a potentially real solution, all of my sleep-related problems have lately been exacerbated A LOT by the sheer temperature. If you think it’s way too hot right now, chances are it might also be affecting your sleep. If you can work on that in any way, it may just help. I find that water sprays + a fan is great (except the fan is noisy) so maybe that could help ?

*We need to get Scildfreja to drop summoning signs or something.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Plunged Hank (I’ll run out eventually)
It’s not that hot indoors, so that ain’t it. Was worse before and this is new

As for why dreams suck, I don’t like my reality being bended. I mentioned a dream I had a week or so ago. Terrible dream. I’m pretty sure I was a girl (not woman, girl), there were too many spider webs, lotsa people got hurt, someone I cared about died (a person I dreamed up, but I convinced myself he was important to me), I was back in high and/or middle school, and it was far too dark to see the petting zoo. Doesn’t make sense to me either. Anyway, I woke up confused and spent who knows how long just trying to be ‘me’ again. Tryna have my own, unaltered thoughts again. Even the happy or neutral dreams fuck me up, tho less so. I still dream occasionally when I get a full, uninterrupted rest. But it’s much rarer, and they fade faster. Easier to deal with

Coincidentally, it’s the same reason I don’t care for drugs. Never tried it, never plan to, but if getting high is even a fraction of the dream weirdness, I can’t imagine I’d enjoy it

Thanks for trying anyway 🙂

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ Axe

(I’ll run out eventually)

Might I suggest ‘Resurgam’.

That means something akin to brought back from the depths. I found that out from a client who has a number of boats called that. Turns out there’s a bit of a market in sunk vessels. People buy them and refloat them because it’s much cheaper than wasting your money on those flashy ‘actually afloat on the surface’ boats.

@Axe

Much of my knowledge about sleep derives from my own experience so it’s flawed, but I reckon kupo and epitome might know more seeing as they’ve dealt with temporary insomnia, which is (somewhat ironically, maybe) much trickier from what I can see.

On dreams, I find that “rebooting” can help in a way in finding your thoughts again. That is, going right back to what you were doing just before you went to bed, as soon as you wake up – pretending sleeping and dreaming never happened at all and killing all chance of remanence from your dream by just switching back to a state of mind you’re familiar with and in control of (yeah I’m not clear at all, sorry). Dream memory being a fickle thing, it might just help.

If waking up from the dream induces any kind of strong emotion by itself, it may not work though. The dream itself will fade, but not the emotion.

By the way, Plunged Hank was the embryonic state of Jean and I. Diving Johan is the gestalt being we are working on creating through a machiavelic plan that involves merging the both of us through pseudoscience, New Age crystals and a lot of drugs. (There may be a few Jewish feminazi scientists from the Frankfurt school involved.)

@Alan
Resurgam sounds like the final boss in a JRPG

@Foundered Siobhan
I do often ‘reboot’. Not for the specific purpose you mentioned, but just outta habit. However:

Yeah, well…
I don’t wanna oversell the dreams, the constantly waking up is worse. And most dreams are incredibly mild. It’s just a little worse now on average. I’m a hardy sort, I’ll be fine

Ah, the Shebrews. They always have the wackiest experiments

I’ve been summoned!

Dreams are a tricky thing. For me insomnia and dreams are unrelated. I go through phases of insomnia and hypersomnia and phases of disturbing dreams and not remembering any dreams, but those two things don’t seem to have much impact on each other with one exception. My worst period of insomnia was when I was in grieving for my partner who passed away, and during that time my dreams were vivid, intense, and emotional and I didn’t want them at all. I would often take a long time to return to reality or be heartbroken to realize the dream wasn’t true. During this time I had sleep paralysis a few times, too, which is just an awful experience I wouldn’t wish on anyone. Worse than stepping on legos.

I have no advice for making dreams more tolerable other than trying to fix the emotional issue that makes the dreams unsettling or unbearable. But that I don’t think is the same for everyone. When I’m in a good place emotionally I’m okay with the weird dreams even if it takes me a long time to come back to reality and even if I can’t shake the emotions of the dream right away. But not everyone is that way.

@kupo
Well if that ain’t a kick in the perspective…

There have been a coupla times when I get up sluggishly and walk to the door of my room. Only then do to realize that was part of the dream, and I haven’t actually gone anywhere. So I try it again. And again. And again. I know I’m doing it. I’m ‘me’ the whole time, getting increasingly annoyed. Eventually, I wake with a start and move around, touching stuff and generally making sure it worked. Don’t know if it’s the same as your sleep paralysis, but I empathize all the same

@ Axe

I hear you there, all right. The only hooman bean I can be around for extended periods of time is my son, possibly because like me, he needs space, plus he lets me be. Other than that, no. When people say “You’re so happy and friendly!”, I’m thinking, “Yeah, but just try dropping by unannounced, or staying longer than we’d arranged…” It’s not pretty.

In other news, I have learnt a new word, resurgam (thanks, Alan!).

@ kupo
that heartbreak when you realise your dream was just a dream. Hugs for you.

@Axe
I only ever go two levels deep in the wake up/wake up again cycle. It’s similar to sleep paralysis in that you’re dreaming but think you’re awake but the difference is with sleep paralysis you’re unable to move and fully aware of that, plus you get this huge sense of paranoia and usually think there’s another presence in the room. You’re just waking up out of order–you’re becoming conscious before the chemical that keeps you from moving around in your sleep goes away, but it’s freaky to experience. I’ve found if I become aware it’s sleep paralysis the paranoia goes away instantly.

Edit:
@Mish
Thanks for the hug. I’m fully better now. This was 9 years ago, and I’m actually better off without him (he was abusive). It did suck at the time, though.

@Mish

*checks watch* You’ve got 3 hours and not a second more. Make it count!

@kupo

I only ever go two levels deep

My brain sees 2 levels and is like

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko

that heartbreak when you realise your dream was just a dream

Well whaddya know, that’s exactly what just happened to me. (At 4am, and I can’t go back to sleep, fuck you brain.) It’s happened regularly to me over the past five years but I still can’t get used to it. All of the hugs to anyone who’s ever experienced that.

Sleep paralysis seems like the most terrifying shit ever. Axe’s dreamception sounds infuriating. I don’t think I could deal with either of those without completely losing it – all in all lifelong insomnia is at least something you can turn a few positive things out of.

All in favor of giving sleep the well-deserved title of shittiest basic human need ever ?

@ John,
Sleep paralysis = shudder. I know, right? Poor kupo.

How’re you feeling now after your fabulous 4am wake-up call? Hey, 4am is like your special time, isn’t it?
Yay???

Here are hugs for EVERYONE (everyone here, I mean):

kupo

CW: reference to sexual assault

@Sinkable John and Mish
If that sounds freaky, I once had an incubus experience. Take sleep paralysis and add nocturnal sexual arousal and that presence you feel becomes an incubus (or succubus, mine seemed male to me, though) and I was actually strongly reminded of that scene from Bram Stoker’s Dracula. Anyway, that was worse than the time I thought I was being abducted by aliens.

Sleep is weird.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko

Cat hugs are the best hugs.

Yay???

It’s working out pretty poorly so far x_x
I mean it’s great when I can work but I haven’t written a single line in a long time now… That kinda defeats the whole “turning insomnia positive” thing. I’m stumped and in need of peer review to figure out a few things but my friend who does that for me is way too busy with her own work these days so I’m kind of running in circles.

*endless rant about insomnia and writing and how I hit my toe while making coffee*

ETA : @kupo

Eek alright that is really, really freaky.

Anyway, that was worse than the time I thought I was being abducted by aliens.

I think you need to stop sleeping. You can have some of my insomnia if you want. You seem to need it far more than me. As an aside, I’m never complaining about my own sleeping trouble ever again.

@Sinkable John
Ha, it’s not all that bad. It’s only freaky until I wake up, then it’s just like an extra vivid nightmare. I actually find it fascinating and a little funny what kinds of things the mind does in these situations.

I’ve found if I’m stumped with writing and have to wait on someone, sometimes re-writing the whole thing from scratch helps crystallize it. Now, that depends on what I’m writing and why I’m waiting on a review, but sometimes it’s more productive than waiting. Sometimes doing something relaxing like showering or playing a video game helps new ideas come to me, too. Good luck!

@ kupo

comment image?

@ John,
what kind of peer review does your friend do usually? As in, what aspect of the writing does she check?
*ouch, poor toe*