Uncategorized

Posts will be a bit light for a few days

What? I'll stand here if I want.
What? I’ll stand here if I want.

Hey, folks. I’m taking care of some non-blog business (nothing bad), so posts will likely be a bit light for a few days, and moderation will be a bit slow. But please keep sending tips!

In the meantime, here’s a cat. I posted this one before but, come on, this is an excellent cat who deserves some more publicity.

varalys the dark

D’aww, it is an awesome cat. Mine went through a phase of playing in the empty bath though mostly it was to chase a razor round it at 0300 and frighten me awake.

Kat
Kat

@David Futrelle
I have to agree with you. That is one excellent cat!

My cat loves the tub (and the bathroom sink) also. He likes to examine the water as it flows into and out of the drains. He’s a scientist.

BritterSweet

At first I misread the title and thought you meant the next few posts will be on lighter topics as a break from documenting some of the worst people on Earth. But you do need to take a break to get other stuff done.

Oh well. Maybe this thread can be used for that lighthearted stuff.

Like this thing I recently stumbled upon that made me feel so happy.

Kat
Kat

@varalys the dark
Funny — yet terrifying!

My boyfriend told me a similar story. He had a cat who loved to play with the float ball in the toilet tank. On account of his cat’s hobby, my boyfriend would leave the lid off the tank. One day my boyfriend was home alone — and the toilet flushed.

My boyfriend discovered the cat in the bathroom, looking pretty pleased with himself.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

I am striving to do more every day as I recover from this stroke. Today I showered, dressed myself, and folded some laundry.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ varalys

Chasing you round with a razor?!

Is your cat in a street gang or something?

ETA: @ Vicky P, wishing you a speedy and full recovery.

Kat
Kat

@Alan
That’s a scary-looking yet still adorable feline!

@Victorious Parasol
The things we take for granted . . . until we can’t do them. What a challenging situation. Stay strong. All best wishes.

LindsayIrene
LindsayIrene

My little calico stood up like that a few days ago, trying to scope out my new bed (which is unusually high). She ended up falling over backwards after about ten seconds.

varalys the dark

@Kat: If my toilet “sponteneously” flushed when I was nowhere near it I’d probably have heart failure. Actually I’m surprised my cat hasn’t tried to troll me like that before….

@Alan: Zoinks! Actually I haven’t been seeing much of him this past month or so, he could be leading a local cat gang. He’s a big, tough, lean old man who stares down dogs and humans alike. But he’ll always be my widdle kitten (I’m a bit Nanny Oggish regarding him in some respects).

LindsayIrene
LindsayIrene

I bring you the epic battle of kitten vs. sandal:

JoeB
JoeB

Sad but has me watching fun and happy things, RIP Gene Wilder. Trying to decide on Wonka, Young Frankenstein or The Producers for today (yesterday was Blazing Saddles).

EJ (The Other One)

All the best, Vicky P. I wish you many satisfying small victories every day.

Off-topic:
Does anyone know what happened to katz? If there was any announcement or any drama I missed it. Her blog is offline, she’s not posting, she’s not around at all: she’s just gone. I hope she’s okay.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

Thank you, all. I’m trying every day.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@EJ
My mind, you read it. Was just thinking about her. She blogged some stuff about damsels in distress a few days ago, and he seems to be tweeting regularly. Unless that’s a different katz. Regardless, I miss katz ๐Ÿ™

@Vicki
I believe in you. Best possible wishes!

Viscaria
Viscaria

I thought Katz might have just gotten sick of this place, but I’m concerned to hear her blog is down.

@Victorious Parasol, it’s great to hear about your progress. Wishing you the best during your recovery.

Dramatic apple cat, if you’ve never seen it:

Apparently the guy who made it actually does write movie music.

My current house is the second haunted house I’ve lived in; the shower goes on and off by itself.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

I was wondering where Katz was too. Also NicolaLuna.

Handsome "These Pretzels Suck" Jack (formerly Pandapool)

ARE posts going to be light? Are you SURE?

I mean, you say you’re going on break and then post fifty things the very next day. I don’t think you understand the meaning of “break” or “light” in this context.

Orion
Orion

I have always loved Katz’ posts

kupo
kupo

Pepper loves all things water-related, but is freaked out by the toilet. Especially if I flush while she’s looking in the bowl.

I hope katz is ok. ๐Ÿ™

cleverforagirl
cleverforagirl

I don’t know if anyone remembers, but the half-starved ant covered Kimchi kitten is chubby, spoiled and expected to live a normal kitty life. Kimchi has been a dream to socialize, he loves people, and other cats. I am so proud of him for thriving.

Please ignore the unmade bed.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

Kimchi is ridiculously beautiful and sweet looking.

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

I am helpless against Kimchi’s Powers of Cute. *shakes fis–“Aaaawww what a cuuuteeee!!!” *virtualpetpetpetpetsnugs*

Curse my feline allergies. ๐Ÿ˜›

AsAboveSoBelow
AsAboveSoBelow

Standing up like a people! Very cute.

@VP: Best wishes for your continued recovery.

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

<3 Victorious Parasol. Lots of love, and I'm glad you're recovering as well as you are. Thinking of you up here in the great white north!

Kat
Kat

@cleverforagirl

Kimchi is gorgeous. I’m glad that he was so resilient in the face of very difficult circumstances. And then he found you. All is well.

****

I’ve been wondering about Katz too. Also Argenti Aertheri. And autosoma, who popped in a few months ago but didn’t stay. And I’m sure that there are others who don’t come to mind right now.

Here’s hoping that they’re all too busy writing a novel/getting married/finishing medical school/etc. to post here lately.

Kat
Kat

I forgot to mention Nicola Luna, who also used to be a regular poster here. I hope that she and her family are well.

There are other wonderful posters who used to post but haven’t done so lately. I remember their stories but not their names. Stay well.

(((VioletBeauregarde))): Social Justice Necromancer
(((VioletBeauregarde))): Social Justice Necromancer

@ Victorious Parasol: That’s excellent news! I’m glad you’re recovering so quickly. As the late great Gene Wilder said: “A small step for mankind, a giant step for us”

@ JoeB: I did a Wilder marathon too…watched Young Frankenstein, Haunted Honeymoon and then Willy Wonka. Pick whichever you want but may I suggest Willy Wonka? (Sure I may be a bit biased, I mean, my username derives from there and I grew up with it…but hey)

LindsayIrene
LindsayIrene

PZ Myers is picking up the slack for you, David. He posted a link to this jaw-dropper:

Then the guy gets rejected by a young woman aaaaaaannnnnnnndddd…

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ lindsayirene

I’ve just read those pieces, and some others he’s written and I can’t shake the feeling that this is some fantastic piece of performance art.

It’s like someone has created a character based on the archetype stereotypical ‘nice guy’; the attitudes, the terminology, the scenarios. He’s even got a photo where he’s doing that ‘hand hover’ thing.

But then, even limited reading around the net, shows that there are really people like this so he’s probably, worryingly, genuine.

Heh, I don’t even know what’s real any more! ๐Ÿ™‚

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

I’ll drop this here, instead of the other thread
Since Trump’s on his way to meet President Peรฑa Nieto, the Clinton campaign website has put up a (purportedly exhaustive) list of every tweet Trump has made about Mexico or Mexicans. This guy could be president ๐Ÿ˜ซ

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko

@kupo

I saw this a few days ago and my reaction was to go make some coffee while dancing all the way there (that includes two sets of stairs and yes I did dance down those) and back (where stairs become even more challenging, especially with the mug in hand).

This is simply glorious.

EJ (The Other One)

@Axe:
I saw that! There’s been speculation on Chris Ladd’s blog about how that came to be. The hypothesis I subscribe to is that it was a pro forma invitation which Nieto sent but didn’t expect a response to. It’ll be interesting to see what happens.

Do we have any Mexican readers or lurkers? What’s Nieto like? Is he likely to take the opportunity to rip into Trump, like Vincente Fox says he might?

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko

@Axe & EJ :

Build his precious wall while he’s away, so that he can never come back. Is there a way to let everyone else through but not him ?

I mean if he wants a “Trump wall”, then a “specifically anti-Trump wall” should also be possible. Because science.

Virgin Mary
Virgin Mary

@lindsayirene

I read that first article ‘5 things’ and to my mind this guy is not a troll playing up to the ‘nice guy’ trope. He’s an actual ‘nice guy’. I have come across this kind of earnest article from Christian evangelical boys. These guys really buy into the ‘biblical gender roles’ thing so big, they are told from a young age how boys and girls are supposed to behave in God’s eyes, about Adam being from the earth, and Eve being the ‘helpmeet’ born of Adam’s rib, and how men have the ‘headship’ of Christ, and women have to be subservient. They know all that, it’s been browbeaten into them, then they spend all their confused adult life trying to justify it, when the world around them grows more confusing and the pieces don’t fit the way they thought they would. Some get angry. We’ve seen where that ends up and it isn’t pretty. So, not a troll, but a very confused young man trying to make sense of the world through a lens of Christian fundamentalism and conspiracy theory. Did you notice tho most of the up votes were from female readers? Interesting that.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@EJ

The hypothesis I subscribe to is that it was a pro forma invitation which Nieto sent but didnโ€™t expect a response to

Yeah, politeness was the only reason I could imagine for this

Build his precious wall while heโ€™s away, so that he can never come back. Is there a way to let everyone else through but not him?

Come now, that’s not cool. He’s not Mexico’s problem, we can’t leave him there. Besides, then they’ll be talking about how we’re sending them our rapists and criminals. And they’d be right! Thanks, but we’ll (completely metaphorically) slay our own dragons… I hope

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko

@Axe

Fair point. 4 smaller walls then ?

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

That Nice Guy said that people were calling him a pedophile. Reading between the lines, it sounds like he cornered an underaged coworker and she felt pressured into giving him her number. Then when he called, she felt safe saying no.

I mean, why would he be called a pedophile for asking out an adult coworker? The fact that he referred to her as a girl, not a woman doesn’t help his case.

Gross.

JS
JS

I was just thinking about some things… A “CGTOW” reddit, but that’d pretty much be redundant. “What female cats really want”. “How to get a cat wearing headphones to pay attention to you”.

Ha, sorry…

kupo
kupo

@WWTH
According to the commenters on Pharyngula he’s 20 and she’s 17. I don’t feel like reading his comments to verify.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@John

Fair point. 4 smaller walls then ?

Well, ideally 3 walls and some metal bars… ๐Ÿ˜›

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko

Nah, he’d manage to get cameras and mics on the other side of those bars. So really, four walls, and some way or other to bring in food and other essentials, while keeping sight and sound to a minimum.

As far as I know he’s not a comic/movie/etc maker so it’s still safe.

(GET IT !?)

EJ (The Other One)

Having read that first article, I can completely believe that he would do that. This guy has a view of women in which they are defined entirely by the things they can do to make him happy, in which non-attractive non-submissive women don’t exist, and in which childishness and inexperience are seen as attractive qualities.

Seriously, his definition of women pretty much consists of “attractive childish immature people who never say no and who always work to make men happy.” This is an odd definition of women, seeing as it doesn’t appear to include Clinton, Merkel, May, Atwood, Hopper, de Beauvoir, Ashrawi, O’Keefe or any number of other humans whom I’d class as women. However, they don’t make his penis happy and would probably stand up to him, so they evidently can’t be women.

He also has the ability to say, within two consecutive paragraphs, that a) women should save themselves for marriage because their femininity is diminished by experience or even by showing their bodies off, and b) that his ideal woman is Marissa Miller, an underwear model who did her first nude photoshoot at age nineteen.

There is nothing wrong with saving yourself for marriage or with doing nude modelling, if that’s what you want to do with your own body. However, the fact that he sees no contradiction between urging women to do the first but lusting after a woman who does the second, suggests a Madonna/Whore complex the size of the Sistene Chapel.

So, do I think he would creep on an inexperienced younger woman and try to into something she’s uncomfortable with? Why yes, yes I do. He doesn’t believe that women are capable of saying no, so of course he’s not going to hear any no she says to him.

Fuck this guy. He can stop purporting to speak on behalf of men any time now.

Oh, and:

I have been accused of sexism and misogyny multiple times by females on this website. And even though those claims could not be further from the truth

He keeps on getting accused of absurd things by females. I can’t imagine why. It’s a good thing that they’re only females and therefore their statements are only accusations, unworthy of being considered or taken seriously.

Remember, he loves women. As long as they’re childish, inexperienced, petite, demure, conventionally attractive, easily cowed, desperate to please and have no desire except making others happy. Anyone who doesn’t fall on this list isn’t a woman to him and… I don’t know what. Is probably just a female who should stop levelling accusations at him.

Really, fuck this guy.

kupo
kupo

He posted another teal deer. I couldn’t get through the thing. So much self-pity.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

20 and 17 is not a big enough age difference to justify him being called pedophile, but creepy is certainly appropriate. 17 year old girls for the most part have not learned how to gently but assertively turn a guy down and may not have learned all the soft no excuses. The author of this rant expects sympathy for being awkward when it comes to dating, but he is unwilling to extend this same sympathy to young women. I hate how these types of guys just assume that all girls are somehow born with perfect social skills and never ever feel awkward, insecure or unsure of how to deal with a social situation.

I have a hard time feeling bad for socially awkward men who refuse to believe that women have to learn how to navigate the dating scene too. How is it fair for a college age man to expect a high school age girl to be more socially advanced than he?

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

And I just read the link with his response. Wow. He’s still calling her a lying c**t. It also looks like he maybe posted her picture? Something tells me that she’s not actually lying about the sexual harassment. Am I supposed to just assume that she is on his say so? No fucking way. I’d like to hear her side of the story, although I certainly understand if she’d like to hide under a rock right now.

kupo
kupo

I remember at 17 being really creeped out by the 20 year old guys looking to date high school girls. Though 3 years isn’t too creepy, it’s still questionable at best. I can understand why she would call him a pedophile for that (I would have gone with creep myself).

dlouwe
dlouwe

3 years isn’t in itself creepy, but I think that a 20 year old pursuing a 17 year old definitely is. Like, if they worked together, and happened to hit it off and grew close and that turned into something, I wouldn’t be rushing for my pitchfork. But at that age, that is a significant life experience gap, and it sets off a ton of red flags about his motivations in approaching someone that young.

kupo
kupo

@dlouwe
Yeah, I meant 3 years at those ages. 3 years at my age is nothing.

1 2 3 4