alt-right dark enlightenment irony alert men who should not ever be with women ever oppressed white men racism vox day whites created civilization

Vox Day: Too many black people make “the continuation of Western civilization impossible”

Vox Day on his throne. Oddly, this is the same expression I get on my face whenever I read his blog
Vox Day on his throne. Oddly, this is the same expression I make whenever I read his blog

In case you’ve forgotten just how much of a racist numpty poopgoblin Theodore Beale — aka “Vox Day” — really is, well here’s a reminder. In a post on his Vox Popoli blog today, the fantasy author and Hugo-award-wrecker asks the question “are blacks worse than atomic bombs?” and answers it with a “yes.”

Comparing the Hiroshima of today — which has been substantially rebuilt since it was destroyed by an atomic bomb in World War II — with the bankrupt, depopulated mess that is present-day Detroit, Beale concludes that Detroit’s troubles are all the fault of … black people:

The evidence is very clear that a black population in excess of an as-yet-undetermined percentage of the overall population renders the continuation of Western civilization impossible. This has been observed everywhere from Capetown to Detroit, and the comparison with Hiroshima only underlines the cultural, economic, and physical devastation that an excessively black population is likely to wreak on a society.

Yeah, not so much. As Beale is well-aware, since he mentions it, Snopes has already debunked an assortment of memes trying to make a similarly specious point — that the fall of Detroit is the fault of evil Democrats — by pointing out the rather obvious fact that the real culprit here is, you know, the shutdown of the auto plants that used to drive the city’s economy.

According to Scott Martelle, an author of a book about Detroit whom Snopes helpfully quotes,

The collapse of Detroit has roots in intentional de-industrialization by the Big Three automakers, which in the 1950s began aggressively spider-webbing operations across the nation to produce cars closer to regional markets, and to reduce labor costs by investing in less labor-friendly places than union-heavy Detroit. Their flight was augmented by government policies that, in the 1970s and 1980s particularly, forced municipalities and states to compete with each other for jobs by offering corporate tax breaks and other inducements to keep or draw business investments, a bit of whipsawing that helped companies profit at the expense of communities.

So Theodore Beale is not only racist, but a blithering idiot. Blaming black people for the bankruptcy of Detroit makes about as much sense as blaming Obama for the war in Afghanistan, as Trump spokesperson Katrina Pierson did on CNN yesterday.

Cat Mara

Western Civilization is Teh Best™. We have split the atom! Been to the moon! Conquered hunger! All other civilizations suck! Except it can be destroyed by having too many brown people around.

Your cognitives, they are dissonant.

runsinbackground
runsinbackground

Christ, what an asshole.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

That expression looks like it should be in front of a different sort of throne.

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

This guy needs to go to Addis Ababa.

Dodom
Dodom

The filter you used looks great, it makes him look like a botched up NPC with a low color depth texture over a low poly head, a perfect fit!

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

GDP growth rates for a sample of countries, 2013:
Nigeria: 5.4% (>99% black, <1% white)
United States of America: 2.2% (12.6% black, 72.4% white)
Poland: 1.7% (99% white)

What’s that? It looks as if the presence of black people correlates with a fast-growing economy? Well, over to you, Mr Beale. I’m sure you have an explanation for it.

RosaDeLava - Praying for Sexbots
RosaDeLava - Praying for Sexbots

@SFHC
I’m not sure if we can distinguish between the putrid crap Beale produces and his feces, so either throne is alright.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

Hiroshima was rebuilt because there was effort put into rebuilding it. With Detroit, it was decided that victim blaming and neglect would be the better approach.

Also, it’s hilarious that right wingers always pick on Detroit. Appalachia has been impoverished far longer than Detroit. Don’t get me wrong, there’s plenty of classism directed at its (mostly white) residents. But the economic situation there just never seems to be held up as a reason why white people are inferior and incompetent. Funny how that works.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

Oh, Beale. So much blithering. So little sense.

Austin Loomis

@RDL&SFHC: the comparison makes me think of Phil Sandifer’s line about Beale “saving Western Civilization from people who poop wrong.” (Apparently this is a reference to something in the Wired interview. I’m torn between asking for the exact quote and fearing that I might get it.)

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

What an asshole.

Regardless of what this blathering idiot say, I feel that Egyptians and Arabs have as much importance in my roots than romans and the European Renaissance. And I will believe that too many arabs or black is a problem the day someone will show a proof better documented than a bunch of caricatures and misattributed photos.

Robyn blanpied
Robyn blanpied

If Western Civilization can’t survive without coddling, it’s time to try something different.
Of course, if you strip off the Greek, Roman, North African and Slavic cultural elements claimed by N. Europe as theirs, you end up with serial religious wars and plague.

Sarah
Sarah

Did you see his recent post on white America and the various ways he justifies excluding of non-whites as Americans, claiming that diversity leads to sundry deteriorations of society, including “uglier people”? He seriously believes that the presence of non-whites and miscegenation diminishes the United States as a country because it has led to UGLIER PEOPLE.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

@Robyn : well, it’s more that it’s litteraly impossible to strip off thoses elements cleanly, so you get just as artificial a construct than the dreamed super civilization thoses people think of. The level of interconnection between cultures is staggering, which is part of why the concept of race is laughable.

The contribution of the arab numeral (well, they come from india, but still), and of algebra (an arab improvement over previous works, most notably greek mathematics) to actually allowing people like Newton and Einstein to create their theory is quite big. But it’s hard to be sure nobody would have come up with a similar alternative without the arabs disseminating knowledge.

On the other hand, the religious war of Europa all come from imported religion. I don’t remember druids waging wars on each other. But no hard feeling to the middle east : spaniards and irish are *also* importations from the middle east. As are horses and chicken if I remember well.

Lkeke35
Lkeke35

@Sarah: Actually, in a way Day is correct. Miscegenation has led to uglier people. People who are against miscegenation tend to be rather unattractive in their approach to life, and sometimes in their looks as well, of which Day is a prime example.

So yeah, he’s only technically wrong.

Otherwise, as a WoC, I don’t need to actually weigh in on this topic. I see y’all got this.

(((VioletBeauregarde))): Prominent Misanderer of the Gynocracy
(((VioletBeauregarde))): Prominent Misanderer of the Gynocracy

Vox Day on his throne.

@SFHC: Dammit, you beat me to it!
Eat more fiber, Voxy boy.

That said, I’ve run into this assclown on FSTDT (my name is the same there, but without the recent additions).

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden

If Western civilization cannot survive because there are too many Black people, then let it fail. If its survival is dependent on racism, it deserves to collapse.

Banananana dakry
Banananana dakry

Funny, that’s the same face I make when I’m on my throne too. The porcelain one.

Voxy and his cronies always seem to have an air of constipated self-importance anyways. You know, the look of someone who thinks their farts smell like honeysuckle. That look.

mobiusclimber
mobiusclimber

Do you mean “welfare cheat and shoplifter” Katrina Pierson? Because I’m of the mind that this needs to be appended to her name whenever she comes up.

Snowberry
Snowberry

Pierson History. Everything from the past 20 years which Republicans currently don’t like, regardless of whether they were all for it at the time? Obama. Did it. Because time travel, apparently.

Matchstick
Matchstick

It appears that Betteridge’s Law of Headlines may also apply to blogs run by racist asshats.

Who knew ?

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

comment image
The poorest states in the union are Mississippi, Idaho, and West Virginia. Black population: 37%, .6%, and 3.4% respectively. Mayhaps there’s no connection between race and the ‘messes’ he describes? Nah, of course there is, cos lawdjick!

Tho, there is 1 connection I can find
comment image

BVH
BVH

This attitude of blaming “Black people” for the decline of Detroit was quite prevalent, even among good working class Democrats, long before 2010. I never bought into it, but I did rather wonder what happened…until I saw “Roger and Me.”

Alas Snopes was not around while my gran –a long time resident in the suburbs of Detroit– was still alive. She’d harp about “Look at what those Black people have done to Detroit!” prefaced of course by, “I’m not racist…”
(She was of German extraction)

Just pure ignorance.

(The straw that broke the camels back in our relationship was her all but blaming the Jews for the semi regular TV programs reminding us of the Holocaust. As if it was in bad taste or something…)

Some Guy
Some Guy

Western civilization cannot continue? Cool! Can we get a different civilization that doesn’t just constantly fuck everyone else over to replace it, maybe?

Kimstu
Kimstu

Racists tut-tutting about how it’s the high percentage of black people “ruining” major urban centers like Detroit (84% black) and Baltimore (65% black) always seem to ignore other major urban centers such as Birmingham (74% black) which are actually doing quite well economically.

Waiting for a racist to explain why 84% is too high a percentage of blacks for the survival of “Western Civilization” (because Detroit has problems), and 65% is also too high (because Baltimore has problems), but 74% is somehow okay. Racist arithmetic is always so imaginative.

GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina
GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina

“Do you mean “welfare cheat and shoplifter” Katrina Pierson? ”

I knew she must have done something horrible to have been punished by being given the assignment of having to translate Trumpelthinskin’s drivel, but somehow “welfare cheat and shoplifter” doesn’t seem bad enough to justify THAT level of punishment.

Virgin Mary
Virgin Mary

Using black people as an excuse for the fall of American industry and the disenfranchisement of the working class is the first step towards fascism. Fascist groups recruit from the lumpen proletariat, because they are reactionary, not class conscious and easy to work up into a frenzy. The ruling classes love to play ‘divide and conquer’.

Kelly L.
Kelly L.

@Ohlmann whether the Druids waged war on one another or not, it’s absolutely documented that the Romans waged war on the Druids. It wasn’t *really* about religion, it was about desire for more territory, but the Druids’ religion was exaggerated and vilified to create an excuse for it.

C.M. Barkley
C.M. Barkley

You want some REAL IRONY? Beale is nominated for a Hugo Award for Best Editor-Short Form. Would you care to guess who was responsible for proposing the split of Editor category in 2005? That’s right, an African-American. BooM!!!!!

Catalpa
Catalpa

If ‘Western Civilization’ is so fucking weak that it collapses if exposed to diversity , and requires racism (and sexism and homophobia, of course) in order to just keep afloat, then it should crumble.

Diptych
Diptych

@Virgin Mary

I feel I ought to stick up for the lumpenproletariat here – I’ve known a great many extremely charming, knowledgeable and politically-engaged lumpen, who are as set against fascism as anyone. Honestly, I think Marx was far too quick to snobbishly dismiss those outside the organised ranks of the industrial working class as inherently counterrevolutionary.

Virgin Mary
Virgin Mary

@diptych

If they are knowledgable and politically engaged, they are automatically disqualified from being lumpen. Proletariat of course, lumpenproletariat, no. It’s a contradiction.

Diptych
Diptych

I daresay it comes down to definitions. One definition I’ve seen for the lumpen is those outside the traditional working class – folks barely getting by, by whatever means. Or we could take Marx’s definition, being basically “those members of the proletariat who don’t agree with me.” Which would make a full-time factory laborer who opposes Marxist lumpenproletarian, while someone stuck in long-term unemployment and homelessness who supports the revolution is a fully-qualified proletarian. That doesn’t seem like a very useful classification system.

(I’ll grant I’m being a bit saucy towards ol’ Karl – he can take it; he’ll have more followers than I ever will. My point is that defining a social group by their political allegiances rather than their access to wealth, power and privilege isn’t going to produce very useful analysis. “The lumpen, being defined as that group of people who support fascism, will always support fascism” is not a helpful insight.)

Bina

OMG, that picture of him. Who knew you could view a picture of a shit taking a shit?

This is truly surreal stuff, folks.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

It’s an undisputed fact that some vague, hypothetical critical mass of black people way off in the future will be a Bad Thing. UNDISPUTED FACT.

Claire
Claire

Yeah, it’s Cape Town (two words), fuckwhit, and we’re doing fine.

Pie
Pie

Diptych

#notalllumpenproletariat

Virgin Mary

No true lumpenproletariat?

Enviro 400
Enviro 400

As the modern West is associated by many as being the bastion of liberal, progressive and democratic values, the greatest threat to its continuance in any given country would be a critical assembly of persons such as Vox Day and his ilk.

Keated
Keated

@Bina to top it off, I saw this on my phone whilst taking a shit myself… *inception bwoooong noise*

@grumpyold sjm oh my god, Trumplestiltskin, that’s hilarious. Totally using that now.

LaterSpaceCowboy
LaterSpaceCowboy

Actually didn’t the plague get started in Italy? So really just serial religious/succession wars.

epitome of incomprehensibility

I looked at the archive of Vox’s post. Some people pointed out facts, such as the collapse of the car industry in Detroit, and the response they got was more or less “no, it’s black people, you’re only fooling yourself”. Plus there were people arguing in the comments exactly what exact percentage of black people is “too many”.

Civilization indeed.

Bina

OMG, it’s like an endless hall of mirrors, innit?

ColeYote
ColeYote

Vox Day is one of the biggest pieces of shit in America. Pretty much the only good thing I can say about him is that he hasn’t killed anyone yet.

Dan
Dan

2 words for Vox…ASS…..Hat!

Chris O
Chris O

Vox Day? More like Vox Duh.

FrancesMC
FrancesMC

We were in Detroit a year ago. At one point we took a wrong turn and ended up in one of the depopulated and destroyed areas. I admit it was a bit unnerving but it was also fascinating and I’m glad we saw it because it has given me a different viewpoint on Detroit. We weren’t on any of the side streets but later I looked at some of those streets on Google Streetview and saw quite a mixture of intact and inhabited houses plus houses that were falling down. Some now have lovely, although not palatial, country properties and I know that there is a lot of market gardening going on. As a gardener myself, I would have liked to see one of those but we didn’t run across any.

I would like to point out that the auto companies certainly have a lot to answer for in Detroit but the administration does too. I didn’t check this but I think that a fairly recent former mayor ended up in jail.

Btw, I ended up on your website via Jim Wright’s page on Facebook.

AsAboveSoBelow
AsAboveSoBelow

I love Detroit and have deep roots there. As the city’s motto says, “Resurget cineribus”: It shall rise from the ashes.

Fuck you, Theodore Beale.

Dalillama
Dalillama

Given that for practical purposes the only semantic content of the term ‘Western Civilisation’ is ‘white supremacy ‘, I suppose that technically he is correct, as any civilisation not dominated principally or entirely by white people is ‘Western’, but in that case it’s a tautology. Less pedantically, this is exactly why I give the side eye to most anyone who talks about ‘Western Civilisation’ at all, and immediately despise anyone who talks about the decline, fall, end, etc. of same. Anyone who talks like that is atmost one step removed from membership in the Kkk or local fascist party.

Catalpa
Catalpa

RE: “Roger and Me”

Holy crap, Flint just can’t catch a break, can they? I knew about the water thing but I hadn’t realized that they’ve been being shat on since the 80s.