antifeminism evil SJWs gross incompetence irony alert men who should not ever be with women ever post contains sarcasm YouTube

Remember Sargon’s dopey petition? Hbomberguy offers his belated yet hilarious response

You may vaguely remember Sargon of Akkad’s petition to “UNIVERSITIES” to shut down all “social justice” courses. It’s been three months since Mr. Of Akkad — actually a dude named Carl, who lives in Swindon — launched the thing, and up until two days ago the only real effect it’s had in the real world was garnering Carl a supportive shoutout from the racist street thugs of the English Defence League.

But Carl of Swindon’s dopey petition has finally accomplished something he can be proud of. Well, kinda. It’s inspired a somewhat belated yet still quite hilarious response video from Youtube’s esteemed Hbomberguy — you know, the guy that did that classic “measured response” to the Sarkeesian Effect. The FIFTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS one. So enjoy!

And if you can’t bear to hear another word about the petition, you can always skip ahead to the part of the video (about nine minutes in) in which Hbomberguy discusses Carl’s less-than-glorious performance in an online debate with one Kristi Winters, a feminist who embarrassed poor Carl by exposing just how little he actually knows about feminism.

who lives in Swindon

Wow, no wonder he’s so grumpy; I actually feel sorry for him now.

All you need to know about Swindon is that the town’s only landmark is a roundabout (it is pretty funky, you can go round it either way)

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

@Alan : in France, it would be a random town in Picardy. They all look the same and all could depress an anti-depressant pill.

A small city I lived in was a mountain city close to several ski resorts, so it could not be in good faith be called boring. But I still fondly remember the fact you had indications to go in the downtown, the upper town, the square center, all several kilometers before the village. The fun part is that there is 1000 permanent inhabitant. More than a bit overengineered :p

pitshade
pitshade

Swindon sounds like it should be good pig country.

Latte Cat
Latte Cat

Yay! I love Hbomberguy. Was very happy to see a new vid in my sub box yesterday evening, aha 😀

Morticia
Morticia

Wasn’t there a documentary a few years ago about how it’s the most miserable town in Britain??

Alan Robertshaw

Even the sign for the roundabout is crap 🙂

comment image

Subtract Hominem, the Renegade Misandroid
Subtract Hominem, the Renegade Misandroid

You’d be miserable if you lived next to Sargon of Carl, too.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

Oh gods. Prepare for more Sargon fans to come in here with their tedious sealioning.

pitshade
pitshade

Even the sign for the roundabout is crap

A pentagram made of recycling signs? That would draw protests here.

Alan Robertshaw

This is a genuine extract from the official “Guide to Swindon” webpage.
That last paragraph is almost poetic in its underwhelming optimism.

The Magic Roundabout Swindon – view from the main Swindon Fire Station

And magic it certainly is. Though it may confuse or amuse new visitors and baffle American tourists, the average Swindonian finds that his or her passage through one of the town’s busiest junctions is actually quite fluid, even at peak times. Twenty-five years on, the Magic Roundabout still works, despite ever-increasing volumes of traffic.

Though there have been 14 serious accidents and just over a hundred lesser ones recorded in 25 years, that rate is less than one would expect for such a busy junction.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

That letter tho…

I’m a moderate, I’ve never raped

Well, I’m convinced

I work in Swindon, and am now worried that I might run into this guy on my lunch break.

Triple J

HAH! I absolutely LOVE hbomberguy’s videos. They’re really entertaining and it’s great how much he deconstructs the bigots’ videos to get to the heart of the matter.

One other visual thing he does, that I saw as a video maker myself talking about such issues, is that he does not put himself in his videos as often as he used to. He lets the material do much of the talking, even as he talks about it.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

comment image

kupo
kupo

@Alan
Is that a roundabout with 5 little roundabouts inside it? And I thought the 2 roundabouts in a row on my commute were excessive, especially considering the side street the first one connects to never has any traffic that I’ve ever seen.

Paradoxical Intention - Mobile
Paradoxical Intention - Mobile

Well it makes sense that a place where Sargon lives is excessive and tedious.

Lady_Zombie
Lady_Zombie

Hbomb is a treasure, isn’t he? He takes the wind out of anti-feminists and the alt-right while still being immensely entertaining.

Now, if SomeGreyBloke would start making his Graham Murkett cartoons again, Youtube would improve immensely.

zesty
zesty

I get motion sickness just from looking at that roundabout sign. o_o And I thought the roundabout made up of three lanes near where I live was bad.

@ kupo

Yup. You can do all sorts of weird things with it though; like you can be turning left but go anti-clockwise round the big roundabout but clockwise round all the little ones. It’s like a huge Spirograph really.

@ zesty

It’s ok, they do a handy diagram to make it simple.

davidknewton

I understand how Swindon’s Magic Roundabout works… but I don’t understand how anyone thought that it couldn’t have possibly been designed any simpler.

Nice to get back to laughing at the idiots after a lot of very distressing things happening – Aurini in a suit in the middle of a forest in that first video cracks me up every time.

@ David

It was designed by a guy called Frank Blackmore. He was a bit of a pioneer in junction design. There’s even an award in his name now for people who come up with innovative road traffic layouts (one of the criteria is that it must have been thought daft at the time). He’s credited with saving thousands of lives. In all fairness the MR is pretty intuitive when you’re at ground level. In the one example where they replaced the MR layout with a simpler design accidents shot up so they’re changing it back again.

(The roundabout is proving more interesting than I originally thought; I feel guilty for maligning it now)

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

So, apparently MRA lawsuits against the Universities that disciplined them for sexual assault are a hot new trend. http://jezebel.com/student-disciplined-for-sexual-assault-will-sue-columbi-1784647739

I guess it’s anti male bias to not be allowed to rape.

Moggie
Moggie

pitshade:

Swindon sounds like it should be good pig country.

No, you’re thinking of Camelot.

msexceptiontotherule
msexceptiontotherule

Ehhhh there’s a similar road concept out here where I live, but it’s called a “traffic circle” and driving on it makes one feel like they’re playing chicken with death-by-semi truck. When most people can barely drive while it’s sprinkling here, those complex traffic patterns have to come from a sadistic traffic deity. That’s the only somewhat reasonable explanation – evil deity of traffic stuff decided “yes, here we will have a ‘traffic circle’, won’t it be fun?? Muahahahahahahhaha!”

brian
brian

Hbomberguy is always great.

History Nerd
History Nerd

If you watch Carl’s videos, it really shows that he doesn’t know how to read studies or analyze data. His videos are more like high school level opinion essays.

It’s pretty much undeniable that many people still think in terms of the archaic common law definition of rape, for example. For instance, up until 2013 it was legal in the state of Washington for a husband to rape (or take “indecent liberties” with) his wife unless he incapacitated her or used force or threat to physically harm her. I’d assume there are many people who rape their wives and “only” use psychological abuse or threats against property rights.

Kootiepatra

My favorite parts of the video are where he breaks down laughing in the midst of seriously reading something out. This was great.

Handsome "These Pretzels Suck" Jack (formerly Pandapool)

Beautiful. Simply beautiful.

kupo
kupo

@WWTH
What a hot mess.

In a footnote, the appeals court also noted that a university’s motivations, specifically “fear of negative publicity or of Title IX liability,” could constitute a Title IX infraction.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@WWTH + kupo
Obey the law or get in trouble! But also don’t act to avoid that trouble or you’ll get in trouble!

Who’s fault is that!? Why even have laws then!? What the shit!?

EpicurusHog
EpicurusHog

:DDD
God I love this guy’s videos. They’re hilarious and still make the points that need to be made.

I just noticed the comments part has a bunch of different people reading them. One of them is definitely Dan Olson, though I’ve heard most of them before. Those little collaborations between channels are nice.

Edit: mixed up words

ej
ej

I saw Hbomberguy’s video yesterday and then watched the Kristi Winter’s debate. It was clear that Carl does not understand how debates work. He clearly prepared all of his statements and rebuttals in advance and just read them out. He barely responded to anything she said and his sources were awful. He listed a bunch of hashtags, as if that was supposed to convince someone that feminism is awful.

At one point he quoted a Scientific American article. The quote started with “[Authors] stated…” and went on to summarize their findings. Rather than going and reading the actual paper himself, he figured the summary was good enough. Kristi even addressed this later. The way scientific information is disseminated to the public is awful and often misrepresents scientific studies to try to get the most impact. (John Oliver did a great piece on this.) I will admit that Carl had a point about the 1 in 5 statistic. It is often misused because of the way the study has been reported by mainstream media, but if he wants to complain about that, he can’t use mainstream media sources to support his other arguments. It’s hypocritical (not that I’m surprised).

Hbomberguy and Garrett have both made videos addressing Carl’s critique of the 1 in 5 statistic…in which he cites the wrong study as the source of the statistic.

Sally
Sally

Srsly this youtuber is too good for this world <3

Monzach
Monzach

That traffic sign that Alan posted reminds of a story I once heard. Now, apparently there was the a young lady from Devizes, and, if you can credit this, she had eyes of two differing sizes. My informant also told me that one of them (the eyes) was so small that it was nothing at all, while the other won several prizes. Make of it what you will, but so I’ve heard. 😛

Monzach – ruining humorous limericks since 1990!

kale
kale

Alan
did you take that design from one of my actual nightmares?

& I bet you all drive it on *the wrong side* too

Moggie
Moggie

I lost it so many times watching the video. Hbomberguy is so good at this.

Moggie
Moggie

Also, I’ve got a feeling that one of Charlie Stross’s Laundry stories claimed that the magic roundabout has occult significance. Or maybe I imagined that. Anyway, it’s the sort of thing he would do.

Shaenon

I don’t think much of that Swindon lot.

History Nerd
History Nerd

Obama and Biden, if I recall, used careful wording with the “1 in 5” figure because the specific study I believe supported a 1 in 7 figure. It’s an example of the problems with sound bites and poor explanations of scientific findings. It’s more accurate to say that we have good reasons to infer from the data that a significant number of women are sexually assaulted on campuses. We can estimate the percentage mathematically from the data (which makes it an estimate, not a statistic) but that’s only a simplified mathematical model of what’s going on and not the “true” percentage. But mathematical models aren’t useless just because Carl decides he thinks they are.

kale
kale

well what is he, a creationist? He is trying to imply that we are exaggerating an underreported crime, which is ridiculous, but if it were 1 in 100, thats still too much fucking rape.

History Nerd
History Nerd

Estimates show that around 4-8% of college men engage in various non-consensual sexual activities with women and have low remorse and empathy. In the military these estimates are higher. These people have been serial offenders since adolescence, so they won’t stop unless something happens like they go to prison. So we should expect to see a high victimization rate.

There are guys who make a mistake once and sexually assault someone based on poor communication or a series of bad choices. But that’s a very small portion of assaults. It’s more likely someone was a serial offender who knew he could use alcohol as an excuse for his behavior.

brian
brian

“Carl doesn’t know and he doesn’t care, and he wants to know and care less.”

Bina

Jesus, Mary and Joseph. Did you notice how all the signatories to Carl’s laughable petition were barely literate? Misspellings, bad grammar, the whole works. It’s no wonder that they want to abolish anything like a real education at the college/uni level; it’s clear that they’ve barely had a primary/secondary level one themselves! I don’t wonder why they’re always on about “freedom of speech”; they don’t even know what they’re saying, but they sure do want the right to say it unchallenged. Or unlaughed at.

tim gueguen

You can’t have a thread that discusses roundabouts without “Roundabout.”

@ David Futrelle

Swindon does have one thing going in its favor: it produced these guys.

XTC actually wrote a song about the roundabout. It’s imaginatively entitled “English Roundabout”

@ kale

& I bet you all drive it on *the wrong side* too

The beauty of that roundabout is, there is no ‘wrong’ side as such. It’s very non-judgmental as traffic features go.

ViolinlessHoax
ViolinlessHoax

That roundabout. It’s as if an eldritch creature had sex with a fork in the road. It’s possibly the best/worst thing that I’ve ever seen. Please tell me they play “Entry of the Gladiators” 24/7 there.

I cannot watch the video right now (at work), but I will later. Based on the comments, it should be good. I’m excited now!

Valentine
Valentine

#wheresanitasbees

So disappointed I won’t be able to watch this for another month since youtube doesn’t work out here. Can someone describe it to me please? Is it glorious?

Moggie