alpha males antifeminism empathy deficit excusing abuse masculinity misogyny reactionary bullshit red pill return of kings terrorism

Suspect in Baton Rouge cop killings: “Don’t get a woman if you cant keep her in check”

"Cosmo" explains himself on YouTube
“Cosmo” explains himself on YouTube

The man suspected of murdering three Baton Rouge police officers in what’s being called an “ambush” shooting earlier today has been identified as a 29-year-old ex-Marine named Gavin Long.

On the internet, Long was better known as Cosmo Setepenra, a self-described “freedom strategist, mental game coach, nutritionist, author and spiritual advisor” who expressed his peculiar worldview at length in a number of YouTube videos, in blog posts and in several self-published books with titles like “The Cosmo Way: A W(H)olistic Guide for the Total Transformation of Melanated People Vol.2 The Ascension (Volume 2).”

“Cosmo,” who was killed by police in the shootout this morning, seems to have dabbled in an assortment of ideologies, many of them fringe. In a video posted earlier this month that looks in hindsight like an announcement of today’s shooting rampage, he declared himself both a former Christian and a former Nation of Islam member. Police say he carried a membership card for a black “sovereign citizen” organization. He was a regular poster on conspiracy websites and a member of a group that claimed to fight against the imaginary evil of “gangstalking,” as well as “Remote Brain experimentation, Remote Neural Monitoring of an entire Humans Body” and “Patented Voice-to-(Human)-Skull (the forceful 24/7 of projected noise to a citizen’s head).”

While it will take some time to untangle his paranoid, often delusional, worldview, a few things are pretty clear. He had a deep animus towards police, and was angered by recent police shootings of unarmed black men. In a Tweet, he hailed Dallas police shooter Micah Johnson as “one of us!” and declared that “my religion is justice.”

He was also a raging misogynist, a self-proclaimed “alpha male” and “alpha preneur” who believed that men need to keep women “in check.”

In a blog post/podcast in June, he declared:

The Man is the leader, he has to take responsibility for keeping his woman in check at all times. Dont get a woman if you cant keep her in check. …

Alpha Males Dont Leave A Bitch Un-Checked!

He then listed the names of a number of celebrity athletes who, in his mind, illustrated the dangers of allowing “bitches” to remain “un-checked.”

Ray Rice, Terrel Owens, Ben Rothlesburger, Ray McDonald, Lamar Odom, etc etc etc They let their woman get them into some shit and it cost them Millions. Well Its because they didnt have their woman in check.

Ray Rice, as you probably recall, was caught on a surveillance camera knocking out his fiancee with a blow to the head. Ben Rothlesburger has been accused more than once of sexual assault. Ray McDonald has been charged with “rape by intoxication … domestic violence, felony false imprisonment, child endangerment, and violating a court order.”

But in Cosmo’s mind, the real crime of these men was insufficient bitch-checking.

Yea Ray Rice woman swung on him first, but my thing is that…Do you think that’s the first time that she did that? Im sure she displayed signs of un-Checkability before. Because if a bitch is swinging on you, then you know she been out of line before. Violence against a Man is a clear sign that you simping. There is no worst violation than to be assaulted by your woman.

In another blog post, Cosmo urged men to “be territorial” with “their” women. “Sometimes you might need to invade her independence,” he explained.

Why bring any of this up? Gavin Long/Cosmo Setepenra didn’t target women; he targeted cops, and the three cops he shot dead were men, two white and one black.

I bring it up because there are deep links between traditional “macho” masculinity and violence. But it isn’t just the most macho men who turn to violence to “check their women” or assert their dominance over other men. Men who are anxious about their masculinity are also more likely to resort to violence. As Salem State University professor Felix Amato notes in a recent study, “men’s fear of femininity” can lead to an assortment of “maladaptive and restrictive behaviors” including violence.

The sort of hypermasculinity that “Cosmo” preached on his blog — in which even the brutal woman-abuser Ray Rice is deemed insufficiently macho — looks a lot like a fantasy dreamed up by someone deeply anxious about their own masculinity. That also seems to describe the hypermacho “Red Pill” lifestyle preached daily on the Red Pill subreddit and on sites like Roosh V’s Return of Kings.

In many cases, the victims of this anxious hypermasculinity are women and children. Indeed, murder-suicides — in which a man guns down his girlfriend or wife or ex-wife and sometimes her children before killing himself — are so common they rarely make it beyond the local news, though the body count from such crimes (to be crass about it) is far higher than the body count from domestic terrorism.

Several weeks ago, a Las Vegas man murdered his wife, chasing her down and shooting her in the parking lot of a Walgreens; he returned to their apartment, where he shot and killed their three children and then himself. None of the networks cut away from their programming to go live to the scene of the crime. Trump didn’t Tweet about it; Obama didn’t make a statement. Outside of a handful of stories (on Raw Story, the Inquisitr and the Daily Mail), the only coverage this horrendous crime got was in the Las Vegas media.

Terrorism makes the headlines. But domestic violence, much of it driven by macho entitlement and/or anxious masculinity, causes more deaths and more damage to our society. If we want to fight violence, we need to start talking about this.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

Has there ever been a mass shooter that didn’t have manosphere type views? At this point, I’d be surprised if a mass murderer wasn’t a raging misogynist.

Bina

Fuck toxic masculinity. That is all.

(Or at least, all I have to say tonight. I am too tired to type.)

(((Her Grace Phryne))): Tool of the Butt-Worshipping, Lesbian-Powered Elite
(((Her Grace Phryne))): Tool of the Butt-Worshipping, Lesbian-Powered Elite

My younger son, who I could have sworn barely knew about everything going on, said, “I think this is the Summer of Impending Doom.”

He’s /eight/.

That’s depressingly appropriate.

OoglyBoggles
OoglyBoggles

The fact that raging hypermasculinity and misogyny related acts of violence is not put up to media or considered a major proprietor of violence in the US is a travesty.

Banananana dakry
Banananana dakry

And a major source of worry. Nobody wants to talk about the damn elephant in the room, but it’s there. And its turds are stinking up everything.

C.S.Strowbridge
C.S.Strowbridge

Oh look, a mass shooter who was a misogynist. Let’s add him to the list, which includes nearly all of the mass shooters.

msexceptiontotherule
msexceptiontotherule

I suppose that Ray Caruth would have met the ‘macho macho man’ standards of this asshole? Caruth is rotting in jail for scheming and arranging to have his pregnant girlfriend killed to avoid his responsibilities (instead of wearing a condom in the first place) and the son she gave birth to before she died was left profoundly disabled – personally I think he should be killed, brought back to life and then killed again as punishment, but I’m in a dark mood tonight. But at least he’s locked up and all that football money he had and didn’t want to share (he wasn’t doing right by his first baby either, and threatened subsequent women he dated and got pregnant so they would get an abortion…couldn’t wear a condom or have a vasectomy though…) is now paying for the care needed by his son for the rest of his life thanks to what happened.

Don’t get a woman if you can’t keep her in check? “Sometimes you might need to invade her independence”?? Dude, NO. No no nope nuh uh and NO. Any guy who feels a need to keep a woman ‘in check’ should definitely not be trying to date or seeking a relationship with a woman. I suggest going your own way if you have that desire, it’s going to be the best thing for everyone.

Ooglyboggles

The worst part, well more worse, is the idea of keeping someone in check, like a pet or a steam boiler. It’s insinuating that they’re essentially property that you maintain for your image and wants.

@msexceptiontotherule
To any person who ends up saying that divorced women get too much cash from divorces can kiss my ass. Yeah, so much cash, apparently raising a child is so cheap. And if anyone is going to say abuse is cheap, then why the fuck didn’t YOU decide to keep the kid/leave him/her for adoption? I can’t really see your “morals being lost” in courts, when you have as much equal right to the kid. But I guess if you didn’t want to deal with it, maybe you should consider wearing a condom some time.

lkeke35
lkeke35

Those are some seriously fringe element belief systems. I’m black and I didn’t even know there were black people who believed any of the stuff this man espoused, although I’m well aware there’s a Reddit type element in the black community. (I had never heard of flat-earthers either. Didn’t know it was even still a thing.)

This is one of the dangers of having a wealth of information at ones fingertips via the Internet, but being completely incapable of discerning fact from drivel, and a distrust of of mainstream education. You end up with a perfect storm of self-educated, thoroughly ignorant, nincompoops. In his case, he couldn’t even decide what amount of drivel to settle on top of, and was just all over the place. I’m surprised he wasn’t also a Hotep.

Yeah, there is a good amount of misogyny in the black community but usually not very organized with meetings, logos, and sh%t. The most organized group of misogynists are Hoteps who try to disguise their vileness towards black women as trying to be helpful to women (which is what makes it so vile and insidious. Queen my a$$!)

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko

This.

Also, I’m feeling tired, and that’s got nothing to do with my actual lack of sleep and hangover. This climate of violence has pretty much always been there, but with the last few days I’m starting to wonder if it’s ever gonna stop escalating.

@Her Grace Phryne
There’s a saying in French that goes, roughly translated, “truth comes from the mouths of children”.

Regarding Cosmo, from what can be read here it seems he was the one needing to be kept in check. Guy’s got the whole recipe : conspiracy theories, self-help books (bonus points for ridiculous titles featuring the words “the ascension”), sovereign citizen, aaaand of course the raging misogyny, because no such moron is complete without the raging misogyny.

But hey, on the bright side, I chuckled at “signs of un-checkability”. Small things…

rugbyyogi
rugbyyogi

It’s worth noting that Micah Johnson had his ‘issues’ with women, too. It’s also worth noting that his Wikipedia entry seems to downplay what he did, implying that the punishment was too heavy-handed and ‘shaming’ – maybe even ‘triggering’.

In May 2014, during his deployment, he was accused of sexual harassment by a female soldier, who sought a protective order against him and said that he needed mental health counseling.[58][70][71][72] The accusation was made after he stole the victim’s underwear. Johnson was first disarmed and placed under 24-hour escort, which was reportedly a shameful and ostracizing experience.[58] Accounts differed about the nature of the woman’s relationship with Johnson. Justin Garner and Johnson’s squad leader said the woman was a close friend of Johnson’s, with Garner adding that she did not want the relationship to become intimate. Two other soldiers said that Johnson and the woman were in a romantic relationship, with Johnson’s mother also saying that the woman would sleep in the same bed as her son while she was staying at the family home.[58][73]

Why can’t we just believe the woman? She turned out to be right after all.

rugbyyogi
rugbyyogi

@Ikeke – ‘treat her like a Queen’ – when I was at university, the ‘promise keepers’ came to town and hired out the football stadium. I couldn’t quite understand why my colleagues were so upset about ‘treat her like a Queen’ (I was young and naive). They explained and I was like:

“Ooooh, see when they said queen, I was thinking Elizabeth I.”

Nequam
Nequam

@Ikeke: “Hoteps”? Do I even want to know?

Also, some brain bleach: a Bengal cat rescued from a unethical backyard breeder and her two adorable kittens.

Ooglyboggles

@Nequam
Yeah, that is some much needed sweetness in this dumpster fire of a month.

Though me personally I couldn’t be happier. Just got my paycheck, and I’m on my second week of antidepressants. The best part of the meds so far, aside from feeling thirstier, which is no problem as I guzzle down water daily, it didn’t affect negatively my ability to work. In fact I’d say it helped me greatly with to counter my inability to remember things short term. Here’s to hoping it stays that way.

I even was able to talk to my sister about my condition, and she was kind of surprised that my parents would be accepting of my mental condition or even bother to address it. I pretty much thought it was just them being sick of me and my unmedicated, well, not so great quirks and personality. Apparently behind the scenes my parents often made light of mental disorders. To what extant I don’t know, and I don’t feel like I want to know. I’m just glad she respects my privacy enough to not pry into my affairs too much.

I cannot thank you all enough for being there when I really needed a sympathetic voice. Every day I actually feel happy, a feeling I often cherished since I couldn’t feel happy all that often, and those feelings of happiness go by way too quick. Now I can even keep at and do the things I wish to do. It’s just so gratifying, and damn it I shouldn’t be tearing up by mere typing. I just regret that it took this long to figure out what was wrong with me.

EJ (The Other One)

The runup to this event was long, and fuck everyone involved in it.

Fuck Long for thinking that he, barely a child, could be a gatekeeper and coach for others’ masculinity. Fuck him for buying into this bullshit.

Fuck every grown adult out there who thought that feeding this delusion was a good way to control Long and sell him things. Fuck them for looking at him and not seeing a human being, just a marketing demographic which responds well to this sort of bullshit. Fuck them for vying with one another to see who could do it the most successfully, regardless of how much this race flooded the world with hateful, hurtful, harmful messages about what masculinity is.

Fuck everyone who perpetuates the lie that masculinity is something that can be given, taken or gatekept. Fuck every organisation and every industry which benefits from this: sports, music, the military, video games and many more. Fuck every single person who works in any of those industries. Fuck everyone who makes a living from selling people a heroic power-fantasy narrative of their own lives.

Fuck everyone who’s ever suggested, by word or thought or deed, that the capacity to control other people is the mark of a man. Fuck everyone who believes, even if they haven’t dared verbalise it, that a lack of control of others means that one is also lacking in other traditionally masculine aspects of oneself.

Fuck everyone who perpetuates the hateful paradigm in which violence is the truest test of a man. Fuck everyone who’s ever believed in “sheepdogs”, who praises “heroes”, who worships “guardians.” Fuck everyone who’s ever dared assert that it is admirable to fight for the group into which one was born. Fuck everyone who uses the word “warrior” or “protector.”

* * *

Fuck the police.

Fuck every asshole who feels that they need to assert their own masculinity by joining the police, by carrying a gun and wearing a uniform and demanding obedience. Fuck everyone who puts on that uniform every day.

Fuck everyone who tells their sons that this is an admirable path in life. Fuck everyone who suggests that one should respect or admire the police more than they respect and admire any other human being who works in infrastructure. Fuck any person whose knee-jerk reaction is to support that badge, and fuck any person who enjoys that support and so seeks out the badge because of it.

Fuck the person who suggested to three young men that the best thing to do, in an America grappling to come to terms with the violence of uniformed white men against non-uniformed black men, is to put on a uniform and a gun and then parade oneself in front of black men as a act of provocation and dominance. Fuck the idiots who chose to obey this order, whether they had misgivings or not.

Fuck every policeman who looks at another human being and thinks of them only as a cardboard cutout that needs to be cowed and intimidated into obedience. Fuck every policeman who lies awake at night worrying what will happen if those people stop being cardboard cutouts and stop being intimidated into obedience.

Fuck everyone who benefits from the police forcing those people into obedience. Fuck every landlord, every investor, every shopkeeper who wants them to be obedient in their poverty. Fuck everyone who expects others to be quiet in circumstances where they themselves would not.

* * *

Fuck everyone involved in having four young men come together and kill one another. This didn’t happen by accident. You did this. Their blood is on your hands.

Fuck everyone who sees this and howls for vengeance on behalf of the police. Fuck everyone who sees this and howls for vengeance on Long’s behalf. The blood of the next bunch of young men who do this to one another is on your hands, regardless of which side you support, regardless of which side does the shooting next time.

Fuck everyone who thinks of this as the police having an image problem, or needing more PR, or needing better sensitivity training. Fuck everyone who looks at this and demands that the black community take better care of its young men. This is bigger than that. This is the end of a very long runup, in which those four young men were only enacting a script written for them by many thousands of pens over many centuries.

Fuck everyone who looks at this tragedy and admires Long, for any reason. Fuck anyone who calls him a martyr, or calls for his death to be avenged. Fuck everyone who sees him as a symbol rather than what he was: a scared child hiding behind the facade of a parody of masculinity. Fuck everyone who only saw and only responded to that facade, rather than to the person behind it.

Fuck everyone who thinks that the right thing to do was to send another group of police to kill Long. Fuck everyone who made him believe that death was a better and more heroic action than surrender. Fuck everyone who taught him, through movies and video games and other media, that it is better to die violently than to live in a cage. Fuck the legal system which imposed that dichotomy upon Long, rather than truly encouraging him to live a better and wiser life in future.

Fuck everyone who confused neglecting our sons with giving them freedom. Fuck everyone who confused being neglected with being able to do as they will. Fuck everyone who earns their daily bread via a system which perpetuates this.

The runup to this event was long, and if you took part in it, fuck you.

* * *

Fuck everyone who read this rant and admired me because I am forceful and dominant and swear a lot, and who wants to emulate me. You’re part of the problem. Fuck anyone who looks at me and thinks, “if only you were the gatekeeper of masculinity, EJ, the world would be better.” You are also part of the problem.

Fuck me for feeling, in my heart of hearts, that being such a gatekeeper would be pretty fuckin’ cool. I’m part of the problem too.

Fuck toxic masculinity.

sunnysombrera
sunnysombrera

@Her Grace Phyne
It really has been a horrific summer hasn’t it? I almost want the spend the rest of it permanently looking through my fingers for the next time something awful is going to pop up on the news. 2016 has been a year marked by death, for sure.

Mels
Mels

@lkeke35

I have a feeling he was a Hotep.

His Twitter bio notes: “▲☥Ethiopian Bloodline☥▲”

Also this post: https://twitter.com/ConvosWithCosmo/status/745243232599105537

(But I am white and could be misinterpreting.)

Eldacar351
Eldacar351

Some pretty good analysis in this point. After listening to some of his red pill podcast which you linked it seemed his “masculinity” was a shell for a certain sense of helplessness he felt. So the toxicity of such social postures seems to expand inward as well as outward.

Kat
Kat

@Ooglyboggles
That’s wonderful that you’re feeling happy now!

Your life has taken quite a turn for the better. 🙂

Kat
Kat

A domestic violence counselor once explained to me that batterers try to control others because they don’t know how to control themselves.

Gavin Long didn’t know how to control himself or his life.

So he decided to gain control over others and their lives by killing them.

This same DV counselor told me that the basic problem of all batterers is that they don’t know how to get along with people.

Makes sense, all of it.

GiJoel
GiJoel

There were a number of high profile domestic murders here in Australia last year. Fortunately our politicians decided to make anti-domestic violence a priority in response to that. Rather than ignore it.

I’m not sure what the impact of that was. Hopefully it’s improved things.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

Nothing to add, vis a vis domestic violence. You got it, Dave

Re: 2016 malaise
2016 is not a bad year. It’s definitely not the worst year. Or maybe it is, I don’t know. Nobody does. We just decided it is, cos Bowie and Pulse. Nobody gave a shit when terrible things were happening literally everywhere else. Last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, since forever. Now it’s closer to home (Europeans, Americans, Canadians, us), we decide it matters. We pretend like we care about ISIS in Aleppo or Baghdad, but we really don’t until it’s Paris or Riverside. How many people didn’t care about police-community relations until cops started being the ones getting shot? I don’t even know what I’m talking about anymore…

@EJ

Fuck everyone who read this rant and admired me

Well, I’m safe then *heavy eyed, ‘whatever, man’ emoticon*

PS. ^Turns out I’m in a fuckin mood. I’m not deleting any of it tho^

@Oogly
Good news! Crying is good for you. Let’s you know you still can. Glad it’s looking up for you 😁

Blackrising
Blackrising

2016 is turning out to be a truly, truly awful year. Every week – hell, every few days – there’s news of another shooting, another attack, another few dead people.
It FEELS like we’re headed for some kind of all-encompassing doom, like Trump is gonna be elected president and the moment he ascends that proverbial throne, the heavens will open up and a bolt of lightening will fry his totally-not-fake hair and all of humanity along with it.

Though Axecalibur is probably right – it seems that way because it’s happening closer to us now, maybe even to people we know. Horrific things happen every year, the news just don’t bother covering it when it doesn’t directly affect us.

*sigh* Regardless, what a shitty state of things.

Nequam
Nequam

I sometimes think finding out just what some people think of horrible events doesn’t help. I remember seeing a graph that showed how there was actually *more* terrorist casualties in the 1970s and ’80s, primarily in the UK– which led me to infer that it was due to The Troubles.

Now just imagine if we had social media when THAT was going down… or better yet, don’t.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ nequam

The 70s/80s certainly felt more apocalyptic. Bombings were constant background noise; but they felt irrelevant compared to the fact that we all thought we’d be annihilated by nuclear holocaust within a year or so anyway. There are still horrible things going on in the world, as this thread demonstrates, but it’s not an existential threat anymore.

It’s weird to think that there was a total taboo on showing any depiction of nuclear war. You had to go to special screenings just to see “The War Game”. There was a book examining how a Third World War might come about and it was a major thing; now that’s the stuff of airport thrillers. It would be interesting to see now whether “The Day After” or “Threads” would have any impact on people in a post “Walking Dead” mediascape.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

And 1 more fuckin thing, completely unrelated. Need this off my chest while I’m still in that mood of mine

@David Futrelle
Taboola ads:
Donald Trump Left in Disbelief When Ex Wife Finally Speaks Out
Link leads to anti aging cream ad, the irony of which is mesmerizing

And this one I’ve held onto for a while, cos I thought I was just being stupid
Melania Trump’s Latest Dress Makes Donald Furious
Has a pic of her looking like a mixture of indignation and concern for her safety

Considering what his ex wife could be speaking out about, and how brutally policing his current wife’s appearance is exactly the kinda thing he would definitely do…

Do with this as you will

LaterSpaceCowboy
LaterSpaceCowboy

On point as ever, Dave. This is some scary stuff.

msexceptiontotherule
msexceptiontotherule

@ooglyboggles

Wait, it’s possible to keep ones pets in check? I’m going to have to talk to my dog about it, she probably won’t be at all interested in that idea. Thankfully she’s only 14lbs so it’s unlikely that I’ll be stuffed into her kennel to have some time to think about speaking to her in such a manner for a good long while.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ Kat

I’ve been pondering on this for a bit. Now obviously I don’t have the expertise of your DV counsellor, but I am wondering if this is always the case. In the criminal justice system I have of course come across many socially inadequate or incompetent men who take out their frustrations on women (and kids, wankers).

But there also seem to be at least a certain number of abusers who, on the face of it, do have highly developed social skills. They’re often perceived as charming and likeable by outsiders. They seem successful in life and work. People often express surprise or disbelief that someone so apparently ‘nice’ could be an abuser.

Now it may be that their superficial charm is just a manifestation of the manipulation that they also employ in the abusive relationship, but they do seem to be able to get along with people generally.

Apologies if I’ve misunderstood what you’re saying. It’s just seems to me that the stereotype of the abuser as social misfit isn’t always the case.

Like is say though, it may be I’m just misinterpreting the point your counsellor is making.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Black power, to these guys, always means black male power. They’re the exact mirror image of white supremacists: Women are property. Control “your” women. Don’t let them date outside your group. Women have a sacred duty to preserve the race. Women are queens and goddesses, but no really they’re broodmares, so they shouldn’t be educated or have jobs. And while we’re at it, let’s police every aspect of women’s bodies. Oh, and black men are more oppressed, even though black women face discrimination from both men and non-blacks.

Fuck these idiots. Women don’t want their “protection” or their “sacred mission” to preserve the races. Frankly, I don’t see anything worth preserving if it means spending our lives confined to a kitchen and popping out babies, subject to the abusive whims of some entitled and insecure rageaholic who complains nonstop about the burdens of family (and adult) responsibility. I don’t see what’s so goddamn holy about the goal of racial separation – all that’s ever given us is more anger, more violence, more guns, more threats, more deaths, more terrorism, more erasures of women and LGBTQ and disabled people. Toxic masculinity is killing the world and it needs to stop.

This crap makes me feel the way I do when my 4 year olds argue about ownership of legos when I’m tired and trying to get things done. I don’t actually care about the legos. I just want peace, undamaged surroundings, and the freedom to do the work we all need to survive.

Mish
Mish

@OoglyBoggles – I’m so very, very happy to hear how well you’re doing. I recall my first depression recovery, when I sat on the kitchen floor in the dark and cried, and my (then) partner said “are you ok?” and I said “very ok – I actually feel happy.” I’d forgotten what happy was like. I’d forgotten what getting up in the morning ready to face the day was like.

This is not to suggest that I know how you’re feeling, as it’s annoying when people do that, but I do think I recognise some of it. And I’m so happy for you!

Did I mention I was really happy for you?
Keep going 🙂

joekster
joekster

Wow. Just, wow.

We need to learn that the best way to win an argument is to bring our opponent to our side, rather than destroy them.

We need to change our culture into one where we realize that if that person who disagrees with you can no longer do so, than we have lost the opportunity to learn about them and ourselves.

We need to realize that the death of one lessens all of us.

In the meanwhile, we need to do something to keep down the body count. I don’t know what, exactly, but fewer guns seems like a good start.

As an aside, what exactly is ‘gangstalking’? I’ve heard of most of the other fringe theories in the post, but not that one.

Also, @Oogly: glad you’re doing better. I think we also need a society where mental illness is looked at the same was as any physical ailment, and not stigmatized, and where people struggling with mental illness feel safe seeking help.

@Axecalibur: I think you’re right about this year feeling worse because the tragedies are closer to home. I guess everyone cares more when they feel personally threatened.

@EJ: Looks like you’ve hit your limit for horrible news. Think rainbows and flying kittens. I’m not trying to trivialize anything you’re saying. From what I’ve learned about the subject of ‘toxic masculinity’, you’re spot on about how we all share some responsibility for it. I don’t know. Maybe it’s time for people to start getting angry, but it seems like we’ve got way to many angry people already. Maybe getting more people angry just feeds the flames? I don’t have any good answers. Sorry if that comes across as rambling.

EJ (The Other One)

@OoglyBoggles:
I’m really glad that you’re doing better, and it’s very kind of you to share it with us. Often the internet gets filled with people being negative (as I was above) whilst we keep our joys to ourselves. You’re reminding me (and everyone else) that there is hope and positivity in the world too, and I’m very grateful for that.

joekster
joekster

@Buttercup: I think you’ve got a point on ‘black power’ being similar to ‘white suppremacy’. Also, why shouldn’t the ‘races’ mix? Do people still think humanity evolved independently in Australia, Africa, and Asia? If we all came out of East Africa in the first place, than what harm if we still act as if we’re the same race?

Mish
Mish

@Axe –

Re: 2016 malaise

Thank you. I’ve been falling into the habit of “omg 2016 is just awful” and I needed this reminder.

@LaterSpaceCowboy – on a much more frivolous note, best name ever from best anime 🙂

LittleLurker
LittleLurker

Speaking of the police as an institution, how hard is it to get accepted into it? Is there a screening process that at least attempts to filter out those applicants with violent, racist or homophobic tendencies? The subject is getting a lot of media coverage right now and recently there was a documentary about police brutality and racism in the US that left me speechless, because I’ve never imagined police officers could act like that. Even in “normal” situations the officers seemed very aggressive and confrontational and the commentator said that US police were trained to develop that attitude. Is that true?

I imagine that the power police officers get to wield would appeal to a kind of person who you don’t want to have in that job. Like violent or aggressive people or those who would like to make up for their own insecurities by having power over others. Is there some kind of evaluation in place that looks for those traits? Is it there in theory but simply fails horribly? I assume police does get some kind of school and a minimum education level, although sometimes the media here makes it sound like you just have to know how to shoot a gun.

As far as I know here police has special deescalation training and at least some kind of psychological evaluation before you can join. [My best friend applied after school, but got rejected because she failed the physical tests.]

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden

@lkeke35,

I’m Black too and had never heard of Black Sovereign Citizens until yesterday. What’s scary is that not only are these people paranoid but they’re also well armed. Something has to give regarding to the way this country allows pretty much everyone to have access to assault weapons. Or we’re going to have more of these type of dangerous people acting out their violent fantasies in public.

Yeah, there is a good amount of misogyny in the black community

What is scary about this is how Black women often support Black misogynists at their own expense. I recall Ashley Judd having to back down when she correctly called out rappers for their misogynistic lyrics. She simply said what many Black women have been saying about rap lyrics for decades. Yet she was forced to apologize.

delurk
delurk

TIL there’s a black version of the “EVROPA”, blonde-maidens-in-wheat-fields subset of white nationalism, and they’re called “Hoteps”.

Valentine
Valentine

What is ‘hotep’? Is it Egyptian thing?

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

Little Lurker,

Many departments actually screen out applicants who do too well on intelligence tests.

The claim is that people too smart and/or educated will get bored and leave. But I think there’s an unstated reason. They don’t want people who might question the institution’s policies and culture and they certainly don’t want people they think might challenge systems of oppression in the wider culture as it is one of the duties of police to uphold those systems of impression.

It’s a little scary! Or a lot scary!

EJ (The Other One)

@Patricia Kayden, lkeke35 and our other Black commentors:

Is there a specific meaning to Long identifying himself as “Ethiopian”? I get that people want to identify with Africa, but why that country in particular? Is it a Christianity thing?

Josh
Josh

Pfft, trust me, I don’t see much of that happening around here.
——

I kind of agree with Ax. There are a lot of people in the world who probably wouldn’t regard 2016 as any less horrible than what they’ve been dealing with for years.

Kat
Kat

@Alan

Yeah, I sensed that my writing was not crystal clear.

The counselor was saying that batterers don’t know how to engage in the give and take that characterize good relationships of any kind. They see other people as objects to manipulate, and they’re willing to use violence to get their way.

No apology necessary — the Interwebz is an often imperfect way to communicate.

A. Noyd
A. Noyd

Valentine says:

What is ‘hotep’? Is it Egyptian thing?

Here’s something of an explanation with a bunch of object lessons showing up in the comment section.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ Kat

Yeah, I sensed that my writing was not crystal clear.

No, I get you now; just me being thick.

They see other people as objects to manipulate

Yeah, I think if there’s one stand-out feature of abusers, whether physical or psychological, is that they see others as ‘means not ends’ (to plaigiarise Kant). Everything is about how others can service their needs. So even when they’re being charming they’re probably thinking “This person could be useful to me at some stage, so I’d better keep them sweet”.

What’s that old thing about you can tell a person’s true nature by seeing how they treat people who can be of no use to them? Hence the common ‘How does he treat the waitress?’ test.

Social Justice Sorceress
Social Justice Sorceress

And people wonder why I can’t just laugh at these kinds of things.

This right here is why.

I am a Woman of Color and I used to feel safe talking to police (admittedly, I am light-skinned, so apparently I don’t read as PoC, don’t take my experiences as standard). Now? I’m going to go talk to a psychiatrist today about the possibility of putting me on medication to control the screaming panic attacks I have every time I so much as think of the news. For bonus points: I live in Baltimore. Moved here about 6 months before Freddie Gray died.

Toxic masculinity has, like a disease, surfaced in big, ugly sores. Between Orlando, Dallas, France, and Baton Rouge, I can’t stand to see a newspaper or listen to public radio. Add Turkey and and the stuff in Africa no one is bothering to report anywhere but Tumblr, I’m ready to just fast forward through all this crap and get back to the good parts of the world and life again.

Failing that, I’m gonna play a lot of Sims.

Joekster
Joekster

@ll, wwth: my brother in law is training to join the Montana highway patrol, and he does have an undergrad degree (something mechanical). I’ll ask him what their requirements were.

Regarding personal/intellectual screening, he’s obviously just one case, but he’s never shown any violent tendencies beyond being an avid hunter and fisher (which pretty much goes hand in hand with living in Montana). He’s not abusive in any way, and as he and my sister still live with my parents, and as the entire family is relatively combative, I’d have heard if he was.

Regarding intelligence, Jack’s fairly bright, but his talents go more to rebuilding car engines. I do know that he changed majors in undergrad because he couldn’t handle the math involved in geological engineering, but that doesn’t really generalize.

Just some observations. Take them for what they’re worth.

lkeke35
lkeke35

Neumann: Hoteps are black people who believe in a lot of fringe ideas about mythological Egypt, and apply a lot of the mythology to today’s African Americans. There’s a link in one of the posts above. Mostly it seems to be an excuse to try to rule over black women, and trying to shame them about being independent.

Patricia: I know! I know a woman at work, a librarian, no less, who believes in a lot of fringe ideas about gay people based on some bullshite she heard or read on the Internet. She’s not a full on Hotep, but she is lodged waay too far up the worship of men’s butts to think very critically about such things.

From time to time she enlightens me about her thoughts, and as a rational, careful thinker, who likes to listen to all sides of an issue, do the research, and investigate, Im often appalled at the things she says. ( I think sometimes she sees the look of horror on my face and just stops talking. )

Her biggest problem isn’t that she just adopts ideas she’s fond of but that she doesn’t view any other opinions afterwards. Like I said before, a lot of people lack the ability to discern what information is real and what’s shite. All information has equal status to them and they can just pick and choose the facts they like. She often accepts what’s she’s told on authority. On the other hand she is also very young and maybe that has something to do with it.

For example, there was another woman at my job who was a straight up Hotep and the two of them were exceptionally chummy. I know the other woman greatly influenced her. That influence seems to have calmed some, since she left, but I can still see it. The young lady I’m talking about had a tendency to adopt the ideas of her friend, who had a much stronger character than her.

A lot of the Hotep stuff is people pulling sh&t out of ther a$$, and people claiming authority (like Ph.D.s and doctorates) to talk about ancient history. Sometimes this is the same thing.

EJ: I got nothing on that one. This is my first time hearing about this Ethiopian thing too. Other than it having something to do with General Hotep Egyptian stuff, idk.

booburry
booburry

Patricia Kayden – I’m sure nobody “made” Ashley Judd apologize, but that she chose to do so. That phrasing really irks me, tbh. If I were to guess, I’d say that the problem was not pointing out misogynist rap lyrics. The problem is usually white folks pointing out the misogyny in rap while ignoring or glossing over the fact that nearly every genre of music with lyrics contains misogyny.

Ddog
Ddog

EJ I’m definitely safe since I didn’t see anything to admire or emulate there. I’m not four, someone swearing a lot isn’t exactly noteworthy. But thanks for the condescension 🙄