Uncategorized

“Peaceful” Neo-Nazis boast that they stabbed the most people at a rally that turned violent Sunday

Matthew Heimbach sees today as a big win for the far right
Matthew Heimbach sees today as a big win for the far right

The quarterly WHTM Pledge Drive continues! If you appreciate this blog, and can afford it, please click the “donate” button below. Thanks!

The white supremacist group behind today’s protest-gone-violent in Sacramento is hailing its “courageous warriors” for sending five antifascist counterprotesters to the hospital with stab wounds and other injuries. On Twitter, meanwhile, other right-wingers and Trump fans are mocking the “antifa” victims.

“Our ‘Sacramento Spartans’ Prevail!” the Traditionalist Worker Party declares in a fundraising appeal intended to cover “medical and legal expenses of the men who risked and sacrificed so much today.”

As the TWP sees it, to day was a big win for their brave “street fighters.”

Our Golden State Skinhead comrades went up against over ten-to-one odds and won! Regretfully, one of our men was injured and is currently in the hospital, though at least five of the antifa who instigated the violence with their cowardly tactics and improvised weaponry were sent to the hospital. Absolutely all of the credit goes to the Golden State’s courageous warriors, proving that proven street fighters are absolutely vital to our sacred cause of defending our White American families.

Apparently “defending White American families” involves a lot of stabbing.

We delivered the message we intended to deliver today; We will not be intimidated. We will not stand down. Our event was a victory by all metrics. We won the physical fight. We provoked the leftists into showing their true colors. The national media story about our event is becoming a conversation about how our attempt to peacefully demonstrate was viciously attacked by the leftist mob.

The group’s “street fighters,” the message declared,

stood their ground against what was the single greatest show of anti-white force ever organized in America…and won!

The group suggests that we will see more violent clashes like the one we saw today:

While blog posts and social media debates are excellent work for our cause, they’re not a replacement for men who are willing to risk injury or even death to guarantee that our message is heard and our voices are not silenced or marginalized.

On Twitter, meanwhile, assorted white supremacists, Trump fans, and others on the right mocked the victims of the stabbings — and promised more violence against leftists to come. CAUTION: GRAPHIC IMAGES.

Here’s one I had to censor somewhat for reasons that are pretty self-evident; click on the screenshot to see archived originals.

whitetw

Even those who described the Sacramento Spartans’ violence as self-defense exalted in the larger number of injuries inflicted upon the “antifa” counterprotesters.

Others resorted to doxxing, posting and reposting the name and apparent address of at least one of the “antifa” organizers.

One self-described “Intersectional Libertarian” noted that he would shed no tears “when she does get killed.”

This political season gets uglier by the day.

For more on the violent clashes in Sacramento, see my earlier post here.

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

@ Ohlmann At least French is consistent with pronunciation. Don’t think you’d find the equivalent of ‘through, though, thought, tough, hiccough’. 🙂

What is an ‘accentuation’? (Student of french, not a native speaker)

@ fishy goat & ohlmann

On the subject of weird pronunciation, are you familiar with the “GHOTI” puzzle; i.e. how is that word pronounced?

joekster
joekster

@Jack: Actually, I fully agree with you about modern English making almost no sense at all, and having deep respect for those who manage to learn it as adults.

While I was working on my undergrad about a decade ago, I had the opportunity to listen to an instructor read ‘Beowulf’ in Old High English, and it makes absolutely no sense at all. Gave me a real perspective for just hoy much Gaelic, Latin, and other languages have been wrapped into the modern language.

Of course, my understanding is that the Germanic languages and Latin have almost opposite grammar conventions, which adds another layer of complexity.

On a related note, the above is a large part of why I try to give people the benefit of the doubt: there is so much in my native language (English) that is dependent on context and tone of voice to gain proper meaning, that if someone writes something that seems off, I try to ask them to clarify before getting angry.

numerobis
numerobis

Fishy Goat:

At least French is consistent with pronunciation

Not so much. It’s less laughably awful than English, but it’s a slur to say that someone writes “phonetically” — i.e. by following pronunciation rules rather than memorizing the entire dictionary.

Alan Robertshaw

but it’s a slur to say that someone writes “phonetically”

Why isn’t ‘phonetically’ spelled with an ‘F’?

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

@numerobis : it’s not opposed to pronunciation being consistent.

The writing -> oral part is very consistent (well, with the exception of z / s / c / k who each overlap with their neighbor), and some rules who are in the process of being dropped.

The oral ->writing part however have the problem that most syllabe can be written in several way. For example, “çi” and “si” are two graphies possible of the same sound. Same for “oh”, “eau”, “au”. And there is a very real possibility to avoid non-pronunciated final letters (like “aux”, plural of “au” ; most plural and a lot of conjugation mark aren’t pronunced either)

Also, another big problem of phonetical writing is that in french the word separation is weak. It mean puns are super easy, but it also mean if you can’t pick the word separation from context you’re gonna have a bad time.

But even for oral -> writing, it’s *a lot* easier than in english to me. Most strange cases have relatively consistent rules. In exchange, the conjugations are downright *horrible*

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

@Alan

My mother-in-law is very fond of the GHOTI thing. :p

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

Robertshaw : “Why isn’t ‘phonetically’ spelled with an ‘F’?”

because it come from latin, or something like that. Most of the time, “f” mean a popular word that come from german, gaul, or pig latin, and “ph” mean it come from science or other high place.

Axecalibur
Axecalibur

@numerobis
saint/sein/sain/seing/ceins/ceint
o/ô/ot/au/aux/eau
I’m convinced the French language was invented to anger the English (and vice versa, I’m sure) 😛

kupo
kupo

@Alan
I’m curious about your puzzle – never mind, found it. 🙂

@Axecalibur
Si six cents scies scient six cents saucisses, six cent six scies scieront six cent six saucissons.

@ kupo

If I tell you it’s pronounced ‘fish’?

@ IP

Do you have anything equivalent in Danish?

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

Also, and to expand on the example of earlier, “h” is never pronunced, but is only used to signate the pronunciation of the letter around here. Or sometime, because the word come from latin. Which mean, if you don’t know the graphies, you almost cannot guess where the h are.

But once you have a small bit of vocabulary, *normally* it sort out. Two rule govern like 80% of the “h” in graphies, and a few latin and greek root cover 19%. The last 1% is people *thinking* a word come from latin and adding a h. “Rhum” (the alcohol) is an example, it should be “rum” since it’s an english loanword, but because of the the “rhum-” root who is used in medical fields, people added a h to rum too.

Which is kind of replacing a couple of intuitive rules by a lesser amount of less intuitive one.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

@Axecalibur : note that your example often are composed of a sound + a prefix or suffix who isn’t pronunced. So that’s merging 2 differents problems, both who are relatively simpler to understand separately.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

@Alan

I dunno. Do you have anything equivalent in gaelic?

Alex Stallwitz
Alex Stallwitz

I was reminded that in an documentary about the Third Reich, It opened up with footage of the Nazi Brownshirts and the Communists brawling in the streets. Its deeply distrubing to me that how violent this election cycle has become. The violence seemly follows Trump everywhere. Its like Trump kicked over an rock and the most vile horrible people come out. All the MRAs and white supremetists and basement dwelling trolls have come out and proudly yelled Trump for president. Make America Great for white straight males

@ IP

Ha, the only Gaelic I know is ‘Pogue Mahone’ 🙂

(I’ve got a moderate Kernewek/Cornish vocabulary, but I can’t do the grammar properly)

(((Her Grace Phryne))): Tool of the Butt-Worshipping, Lesbian-Powered Elite
(((Her Grace Phryne))): Tool of the Butt-Worshipping, Lesbian-Powered Elite

Virgin Mary
Virgin Mary

@axecalibur

The Democratic Party is not socialist at all, it has some socialist policies, and is open to socialism, like I explained, Bernie is not afraid to use the S word, but it is not by any means a socialist party. It is what we in England would call Liberal, in favour of personal liberties, but fiscally conservative. The US does not have a left wing, your Republicans are the same as our Conservatives on the political spectrum, and your Democrats occupy the same quadrant as our Liberal (formerly Whig) party, and Blairite New Labour. Both Obama and Hilary sit very well between New Labour and the Liberal Democrats of the U.K. Neither of these are worker’s parties.
The disillusionment of the working classes causes people to find kinship with other disillusioned people. That’s why you’ll find them flocking to Trump and the alt right. That Traditionalist Worker’s (Nazi) party for instance. That is because the current political system has let them ‘fall thru the cracks’ of society, ignored them, and exploited them. Some have found purpose in things like the Occupy movement, some have sought refuge in religious fundamentalism, and others, reactionary, racist and aggressive outlets like the KKK, MRA, EDL, BNP and Trumpism.

Monzach
Monzach

The Finnish “annoy non-native speakers” phrase is: Kokoa kokoon koko kokko. Koko kokkoko? Koko kokko. (Assemble the entire bonfire together. The entire bonfire? The entire bonfire.)

I believe that one of the Swedish equivalents is: Får får få får? (Are sheep allowed to have sheep?)

Virgin Mary
Virgin Mary

@alex

You are very right. Someone else commented here that America is starting to look like Germany in the 1930s. When you see scenes like this, it’s like stepping back in time. It’s funny how even a few years back, all these groups were denying being fascists, but not like it writ large. Trump is the one who gave them the confidence to do this.
Don’t you find it bizarre that in the USA now you are more socially acceptable being a Nazi than a Communist?
NB. I’m not planning of brawling with any Nazis in the street, I am a pacifist and hate violence.

Virgin Mary
Virgin Mary

@monzach

That’s where Peter Gabriel got the idea for the song ‘Cuckoo Cocoon’ from the Genesis magnum opus ‘The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway’ from. One of my favourite albums ever 🙂

Axecalibur
Axecalibur

@Mary
Thanks for telling (Eurosplaining?) me how my own country’s political parties work. And for the condescending spiel about how British politics is correct and ours is wrong, cos I’ve never heard that all the time. I’d be lost without you *eyeroll*

Anyway, am I the only one sick and tired of disillusionment as an excuse for shit ideas. Racism, sexism, whatevs. The world doesn’t go the way you want it to, so, woops, you’re an antifeminist now? Nope. You’re not just an innocent victim of the system, looking for purpose in this cruel new world (world’s smallest violin). You’re an entitled jerk and you chose to be. There are hundreds of millions of people who live under the same system every damn day but don’t throw a fit and lash out at others when they don’t get their way. It’s not the fault of Obama, Hillary, the Dems, Trump, or society as a whole if your response to hardship is bigotry

And, while we’re at it, you can’t fix, or even prevent, intolerance by throwing Marx at the problem. Don’t work that way. Socialism isn’t a panacea and it doesn’t make hate go away. It redirects at worse, and quiets at best. It’s still there

Apologies again to Katherine

ETA: Phryne’s sliding down again

numerobis
numerobis

Ohlmann: what’s the rule for whether a letter at the end of the word is pronounced or not? That seems to be one of the big hangups for anglophones. I get asked the question a lot, but as a native speaker I don’t know the rules well enough to teach them — they just come naturally.

(Of course it also differs by accent. “Août” is generally pronounced like the english “oo” here, versus “oot” in Paris, for example.)

Ddog
Ddog

Very late to the party but it’s not pogue mahone at all in Gaelic. That’s an anglisation of “póg mo thón” in Irish (gaeilge or Gaelic). The British took enough from us that it really grates to see them take/ruin our language which they tried to stamp out during an attempted genocide

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

@Alan

That was meant as a joke. I don’t speak Danish, so in return I asked you about a language that you don’t speak.

@Monzach

The more common version heard here goes: “Får får får? Nej, får får lamm.” (“Do sheep have sheep? No, sheep have lambs.”)

It’s actually kinda stupid. It’s entirely based on just two words. It’s not even clever.

@ IP (& DDog)

Ha, sorry. Appeared I joined in the recent trend of assumptions about people’s language abilities. 🙂

I really ought to learn some Gaelic. My mum tuts that I don’t know any. Of course, at the risk of blaming women for everything, she’s the one who chose to have me in Yorkshire.

Kat
Kat

ETA: Phryne’s sliding down again

Not a sentence you see often!

Except, increasingly, here.

cheesynougats
cheesynougats

@Alan,
Something I meant to ask a while back, your being from Yorkshire and all. The old “Four Yorkshiremen” sketch: is part of the joke that they are from Yorkshire? Haven’t found anything specific, but from what I’ve seen it looks like it.

@ cheesynougats

The old “Four Yorkshiremen” sketch:

Yes; it’s played for comedy but it sooooo accurately reflects the attitude up there. There’s a real hostility in Yorkshire to unearned wealth. The concept of ‘old money’ is anathema. It’s considered admirable that you “Start off wi’ nowt” and earn everything through hard graft.

So the more humble your beginnings the better. I’ve heard many a conversation just like that (to hear my parents’ generation talking, no-one in Yorkshire went to school in shoes)

I do fall into it myself. I was one of the minority at Bar School who hadn’t been to public school and my Chambers colleagues did eye roll a bit when I got into my ‘working class boy made good; first person in my family to go to university, worked two jobs through law school’ etc. spiel 🙂

Virgin Mary
Virgin Mary

@alan

Same think here, but down south. None of my family had been to university, some had trained to become nurses, but that was the extent of it. There was real hostility in my family towards leaving to go to university. I was one of the last people to go to uni on a full grant, that was 2004. I would hate to be a school leaver now and have to incur tens of thousands of pounds in debt. My mum’s family were all farmers, and now they own a grand total of no farms at all. They like to tell the same stories about hand me downs and going to school shoeless.

Alan Robertshaw

@ cheesynougats and virgin mary

Possibly the most accurate depiction of Yorkshire attitudes ever captured on film 🙂

dslucia
dslucia

GHOTI is a fun example of how technically weird English is, but it does sort of ignore the actual context of the language. Maybe it’s more relevant for people learning English as a second language? At the beginning of a word, “Gh” will never be pronounced the same way as in “tough”. And I’m pretty sure “ti” is pronounced “sh” only in the context of being followed by “on”, e.g. “action”, “motion”, “ocean”. (Jokes.)

Like, I get how it’s used as an argument for spelling reform, and it is clever, but it goes against even the rather lackluster conventions that do exist in English.

Where’s that Dragon Ball clip about party poopers when you need it?

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

@dslucia

Where’s that Dragon Ball clip about party poopers when you need it?

I don’t know, but I bet it takes them 10 minutes to say “party pooper”. Slowest show ever. :p

dslucia
dslucia

@IP:

“PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-”

Next time, on Dragon Ball Z!

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR”

(((Her Grace Phryne))): Tool of the Butt-Worshipping, Lesbian-Powered Elite
(((Her Grace Phryne))): Tool of the Butt-Worshipping, Lesbian-Powered Elite
Reply to  Kat

Clearly I need a safety harness of some kind. 😛

(((Her Grace Phryne))): Tool of the Butt-Worshipping, Lesbian-Powered Elite
(((Her Grace Phryne))): Tool of the Butt-Worshipping, Lesbian-Powered Elite
Reply to  Axecalibur

OUCH. That looks painful, that sudden stop at the end!

I’ve been watching Leverage lately, and I keep thinking, “Y’know, Hardison, you wouldn’t have so much trouble with the jumping off of things if you didn’t go so fast with the abrupt stop at the end. Parker goes slowly and glides to a stop. Maybe learn from her, you doofus.” (Affectionately; Hardison reminds me of my older son attitude-wise.)

(((Her Grace Phryne))): Tool of the Butt-Worshipping, Lesbian-Powered Elite
(((Her Grace Phryne))): Tool of the Butt-Worshipping, Lesbian-Powered Elite

Maybe I just need to stop replying to specific comments… both of the floating posts were replies to other comments. Hmm.

Axecalibur
Axecalibur

@Phryne
Hardison is the best part of that show 🙂

(((Her Grace Phryne))): Tool of the Butt-Worshipping, Lesbian-Powered Elite
(((Her Grace Phryne))): Tool of the Butt-Worshipping, Lesbian-Powered Elite

I can’t honestly pick the best part, there’s too many to choose from! And some of the guest stars are just great. 🙂

I have wanted to play the Leverage RP for ages, but I can’t find anyone else who does or anyone who wants to run it.

sparkalipoo
sparkalipoo

@Kat

Senator Elizabeth Warren just called Donald Trump a ‘fraud’ This is the same woman who pretended to be Native American for DECADES!

Isn’t it a little weird that that’s the worst thing the republicans have against Warren? I’m from Massachusetts and remember when that scandal happened and it lasted for about a day and it changed no one’s decision to vote (or not vote) for her.

Ah, but of course, we must consider that it’s wrong to ask Sanders supporters to vote for Clinton, despite the unlikelihood of Jill Stein winning.

I actually really don’t get why Bernie supporters are SO against Hillary–like if you look at each candidates positions they’re so close to each other that even if you are closer to Bernie’s positions than Hillary’s, you still agree with Hillary on most things and I actually saw Bernie supporters argue that Hillary supporters should vote for Bernie because they are so similar. For me, voting pragmatically makes a lot of sense because with Hillary, Bernie, and Jill Stein, I agree a lot with each one of them but with each one of them there are things I disagree with them on so I really don’t really get the idea that one candidate is perfect and perfectly represents my beliefs

sparkalipoo
sparkalipoo

@Scildfreja

the idea that there is no “invalid” form of English is rather common in linguistics–in speech and language pathology, non native speakers who have accents aren’t considered to have language disorders because there’s nothing wrong with their motor planning or mental processing of language and in linguistics any language is considered to be valid if it has it’s own grammatical rules (so linguistics considers non standard English dialects to be just a valid as standard ones)

sparkalipoo
sparkalipoo

@Paradoxical Intention

I’m tired of the “neutral” bullshit too and I just feel like the “free speech” argument is a bad argument because it takes it as a given that protecting free speech is the most important thing* and it completely ignores how fascists and the right wing and people who are against political correctness** try to limit other people’s freedom of speech so it’s just a way to defend hate speech without owning up to it

*I don’t know where the idea that people should have unlimited free speech came from because even in the US there are limits on free speech and I kind of feel like in order for everyone to get along without killing each other you need some limits on individual freedom and if someone is exercising their freedom of speech in a way that jeapordizes someone’s safety does one person’s right to free speech trump someone else’s right to safety?

**my sister often makes the political correctness has gone to far and her complaints about political correctness gone to far is people criticizing the way female characters are portrayed in Doctor Who and she posted something that was essentially saying that political correctness is a threat to freedom of speech when someone criticizing Doctor Who isn’t barring the creators of Doctor Who from making Doctor Who and if your for free speech, if someone uses free speech to criticize something you like you shouldn’t get mad about it

also, Milo Yannopolis, Christina Hoff Summers, and someone else have a panel/presentation thing going around to different colleges called “the triggering: has political correctness gone to far” saying that political correctness has gone too far and liberals need to be more open minded and yadda yadda yadda and at the same event they argued that people who disagreed with them should be punched and you can’t say your for free speech and then threaten people with violence for disagreeing (and after the event at my college you had the same bullshit neutralism where the people who protested the event were accused of not being open minded enough and being anti free speech)

sparkalipoo
sparkalipoo

@Axecalibur

I’m sick of disillusionment as an excuse too–like I get that pointing out how societal issues affects individual behavior can be helpful in changing that behavior but at the same time individuals have to take responsibility for their behavior and it’s kind of entitled to lash out when the world doesn’t go your way

Also, one of the issues with socialism and labor in the US is that a lot of workers in the US are in middle management and therefor are not eligible for being protected by unions or labor protections–here in Massachusetts this issue came up in the Market Basket strike where some of the employees who went on strike were laid off because if you are in middle management you can’t go on strike

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@sparkalipoo
Precise! There’s a fine line between ‘This might be why people are voting for Trump’ and ‘Thanks, Obama!’ Cause and effect is important to ascertain, but, if you’re just redirecting blame, I have neither the time nor the temperament for that shit anymore

Re: middle management
I always feel kinda bad for them. The honchos see you as a stiff, and the stiffs see you as a honcho. BTW, 2 Arthurs Demoulas? Tried reading up on the story, but I quickly gave up

Tragedy of the Commas
Tragedy of the Commas

@ EJ (The Other One)

This response comes long after this thread has faded from the front page, so I don’t know if you’ll see this reply. Still, thanks for catching the reference. I’m not usually a fan of Wes Anderson. But I love that movie.

@ Axecalibur

And a thank you to you and sparkalipoo for calling out the “disillusionment” argument. When one argues, “Sanders isn’t getting the nomination, so I’m voting/enabling Trump,” it’s like saying that because your steak didn’t come well done, as requested, you’re going to the loo to eat your own poop instead.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Tragedy
No prollum, fam. Tho, I should mention, your analogy isn’t quite complete. Not everyone will face the same consequences of a Trump administration. Susan Sarandon isn’t eating her own shit by campaigning against Hillary. She’s rich and famous, she’ll be fine. Instead, she’s inviting the rest of us to taste her leavings. *Sigh, sigh, sigh*

Tragedy of the Commas
Tragedy of the Commas

@ Axecalibur

Heh. Very true.

Also, I just read Vanity Fair’s piece on Jessica Williams leaving TDS. She uses an even better excremental analogy than mine!