Uncategorized

10 injured, 5-7 stabbed at Neo-Nazi rally in Sacramento; group behind rally led by Trump superfan Matthew Heimbach

Neo-Nazis before the rally
Neo-Nazis before the rally

The Pledge Drive continues! If you appreciate this blog, and can afford it, please click on the “donate” button below and send some bucks my way!  Thanks!

Violent clashes broke out between neo-Nazis and protesters at a rally in Sacramento today organized by the Traditionalist Worker Party, a group headed by Matthew Heimbach. Seven people have reportedly been hospitalized with stab wounds.

The details of the incident aren’t clear yet, but the LA Times reports that one member of the group declared on a livestream of the event that “they got one of us but we got six of them.” At least two of the victims “suffered life-threatening stab wounds,” according to NBC affiliate KCRA. [UPDATE: Officials are now telling NBC that 10 people were injured overall, with 5-7 of them suffering stab wounds; all are expected to live. The TWP is boasting that the overwhelming majority of the injured were on the antifa side; see my post here for more details.]

You may remember Heimbach as the long-time white supremacist organizer and Trump fan who was filmed assaulting a young black woman at a Trump rally in March. Before the rally today, Heimbach praised his “brave comrades,” who went to the protest obviously prepared to fight.

heimbachtweet

EDITED TO ADD: After the clash today, Heimbach told the Los Angeles Times that “this is a victory for us because more of them walked away injured.”

And in an interview with BuzzFeed News he suggested there would be more violent clashes to come:

We knew this was coming. They were threatening to kill us for weeks. This is the beginning of a new dawn for white nationalism in America. We are no longer going to hide in conferences. We are going to take to the streets and take them back.

The Washington Post did a detailed profile of Heimbach earlier this year.

Here’s a CNN report on the violence at the rally from earlier this afternoon; it contains footage of the clashes.

Here are some photos of the aftermath of the violence from Twitter. CAUTION: some of the following images are quite graphic. Note: The information accompanying the images may not be completely accurate or up-to-date.

Here’s footage of Hembach’s assault of a protester at the Trump rally in March:

I will update this post as new information becomes available.

magnesium
magnesium

Why do nazis always insist on looking like low-rent, shitty LARPers?

Seriously, though, this is awful and terrifying.

Eyes on the Right

I’m getting conflicting reports of who started it and who stabbed who at this point. It’s tempting to say up front that Heimbach and his ilk started this melee but, well, I don’t know yet what went down. Suffice it to say I don’t want anyone getting stabbed and Heimbach et al are awful creatures regardless.

authorialAlchemy
authorialAlchemy

This will be the future if Trump winss. Even if he can’t legally and directly encourage this bullshit, neo Nazis will be encouraged by his victory anyway.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

I’m sure most of the media will do everything it can to downplay that this Nazi rally was organized by a Trump supporter.

FrickleFrackle
FrickleFrackle

Stabbings shouldn’t be considered a valid means of political discourse. I mean, it works, but that’s what’s awful about violence. I just hope violence isn’t ever again considered the norm politically, but looking at this election, it just might be.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@WWTH
The media is bought by corporations and no one is willing to admit the rising fascism and insanity the right wing has climbed too. They won’t admit on soft balling him, or having him on to get more ratings, or never criticizing his flaws and instead go for the mild insults, or get that in their elitist ignorance have no idea why Trump appeals to alot of hateful people.

Expect that when he explodes and melts down on live TV, and anyone who sincerely believes that he’ll just get off safely without a hitch when the entire GOP was strung along to his bullshit, and suffer immensely for it, they’re just delusional. Completely and utterly delusional if they think after this the GOP and everyone else INCLUDING rape assaults that he’ll just move on like the last time, when he’s shown more and more to back off and make more mistakes.

But you know, expect the media to NEVER call any of this out because “balance.”

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Can I just bash my head against the wall for an hour?

@WWTH

I’m calling it now: The media’s going to focus all their time on that poor defenseless patriot stabbed by vicious anti-free-speech thugs and forget about the six other victims by the end of the week.

@media

Prove me wrong. Prove that there’s something, anything in America worth saving. Please.

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

WWTH and scented f***ing hard chairs
Yeah and they’re going to excuse this pr*ck for being “a mentally ill, lone wolf” for the thousand time the media has labled white male terrorists. And everyone in the comment sections will say “he’s just a poor guy defending his free speech and second admendment and this is why we need to help the poor men and boys to get them medical care” or some sh*t.

We need to have body guards, etc; this is getting out of control.

Ooglyboggles
Please no ableism.

Virgin Mary
Virgin Mary

His ”brave comrades”,yuck.
Don’t use that work Heimback, you shit weasel.
That term belongs to us Socialists.
I only call my closest compatriots “comrade”.

Bina

They’re proud that they stabbed more of the people from the other side? That’s nothing to be proud of. It’s a sign that they resorted to armed violence because THEY ARE LOSING.

Fucking cowards.

KindaSortaHarmless
KindaSortaHarmless

@Ooglyboggles

Not to mention that outrageous people doing outrageous things makes for good TV.

My admittedly limited reading of reaction to Brexit says that quite a few people voted Leave as a protest against the status quo, and were surprised to see that Leave had actually won because they didn’t want to actually leave the EU. Said limited reading also suggests that the Remain campaign was lackluster because they failed to take Leave seriously as a threat.

That’s what terrifies me about Trump. Regardless of what the electorate actually wants, if he can channel their frustrations into votes for him, he becomes the President. And unlike the Brexit referendum, this one is going to be binding.

It’s all fun and games until someone puts an actual goddam Nazi in the White House.

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

I just shared the news on my Facebook page and now we wait.comment image

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Fruitloopsie, isn’t that kind of an ugly meme?

(((Chiomara)))
(((Chiomara)))

This may not be a very sensitive comment but…

Color. Me. Shocked. /s

NiOg, Adorator Culorum Actus Lesbiis
NiOg, Adorator Culorum Actus Lesbiis

I can’t wrap my head around the idea that no one was arrested.

People were STABBED and HOSPITALIZED and there were NO ARRESTS.

What.

In the everloving.

FUCK.

kupo
kupo

Why do nazis always insist on looking like low-rent, shitty LARPers?

The fuck? What’s wrong with LARPers? How about not shaming people for their hobbies?

epitome of incomprehensibility

Holy shit. This reminds me: didn’t Trump joke that he’d pay for his supporters’ legal bills if they got charged with violence? Not the best thing to say, inciting violence and all, and I hope even someone as odious/egotistic/bigoted as him realizes it.

From what I see, it does look like Heimbach’s group started it. It’s not as if anti-fascists would never ever instigate violence, but the interview afterwards and the photo of the fascist group with shields point to that conclusion (and is that a stick/bat on the ground next to the guy on the left, or just the edge of the sandbox thing?)

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

POM
Ugly?

Steve D
Steve D

KKK 1.0, after the Civil War, drew from angry defeated whites. KKK 2.0 in the 1930’s drew from insecure middle class whites. Ditto the Nazis about the same time. Joe McCarthy appealed to middle class people afraid of communism.

Do not radicalize the middle class. It gets real ugly.

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

Goddamnit. I had sincerely hoped that my hometown wouldn’t be featured on this blog anytime soon. I can’t wait to move away from here.

Or at the very least, we’d be on here for some silly shit, not for Trump-supporting Nazis stabbing people and gleefully bragging about it.

Axecalibur
Axecalibur

I shouldn’t be having these thoughts, but I always do. It shouldn’t be this often. Silver lining: only 7 this time. Fuck people

EJ (The Other One)

What NiOg said.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

@fruitloopsie

“Uneducated” can come off as a little classist, is all. ^^; Especially since right wingers tend to use it as a dog whistle for “Poor black people.”

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

You know I’ve been accused of war drum beating, but I no longer think that counts considering a very, very real rise in violence as a result of this man tapping into the very heart of racist America. Expect to see more “lone wolves” in the coming months especially when he loses/gets fucked over by the GOP convention.

Eyes on the Right

According to Heimbach, via WaPo, one of his goons was stabbed in an artery, while six of the counter demonstrators were stabbed. Still waiting on unbiased details.

kupo
kupo

@Axecalibur
I was thinking the silver lining was that no one pulled out a gun. -_-

Valentine
Valentine

To me it looks like an act of desperation. But that said just because the supporters are doing desperate things doesn’t mean trump can’t win still. It’s not mutually exclusive. Just because your supporter are violent doesn’t mean you can’t win. Quite the opposite actually in my experience. Violence is not the last act always but sometimes the first act of something terrible.

LeftWingFox
LeftWingFox

This is why I was hoping left-wing sites spoke out about the guy who tried to assassinate Trump. That needed to be called out and de-escalated as much as possible, because Trump’s fans will only escalate.

I honestly don’t think Trump will become president. His negatives are the pits, his campaign skills are non-existent, his fundraising is a clusterfuck, and even the rabidly lockstep GOP are in disarray right now. The structural obstacles to him becoming president are pretty much insurmountable right now.

The real problem is that win or lose, his supporters are NOT going away. We’re already seeing the racist undertones of the Brexit campaign metastasize into openly racist attacks on anyone who dosen’t look or act sufficiently British. I expect a major uptick in assaults by these bigoted hate-sacks, and the more threatened they feel the more likely they are to respond with violence.

WickedWitchOfWhatever
WickedWitchOfWhatever

Oh fucking hell. This is like the 1930s.

Axecalibur
Axecalibur

@kupo

I was thinking the silver lining was that no one pulled out a gun. -_-

B, thus A

(((Her Grace Phryne))): Tool of the Butt-Worshipping, Lesbian-Powered Elite
(((Her Grace Phryne))): Tool of the Butt-Worshipping, Lesbian-Powered Elite

A. The group that organized the original march thingy is based in Indiana. What. The. Fuck. So sick of my state being in the news for terrible things.

B. If you go by percentages, the neo-nazi dudes did far worse than the AntiFa group did… last I heard, there were 200 AntiFa people and like less than 20 neo-nazis, so… .35% of the AntiFa, vs 5% of the nns. Doesn’t sound like winning to me, dickbag.

C. I am hot and tired and feeling physically ill from the heat, and I am SO DAMN SICK of this racist and bigoted shit. Please, please, PLEASE let this be an extinction burst and that it’s over soon. (Probably a vain hope, I know; people have to get their bigoted attitudes into the open by acting on them before social pressure comes to bear, but I gotta hold on to something.) It’s not even the individual acts, horrible as they are, that’s making things difficult for me, it’s the unrelenting regularity of them, and that they’re happening more often. On the bright side, these dickweasels are pissing ME off, which means that they’re also pissing off people with more energy and better health, people who can do something about it. Unfortunately, that may mean more bloodshed, at least for a while.

Terrible as it is, some days I just wish for a way to excise bigoted thoughts from people. Or send them to live on another planet or something… some way to just stop this bullshit.

ETA: I didn’t mean to make this all about me, so I apologize.

Handsome "These Pretzels Suck" Jack (formerly Pandapool)

I was thinking the silver lining was that no one pulled out a gun. -_-

Me too.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

But if they had a gun they could have stopped the knifing from happening-

Says the same people from the Trump rallies.

Viscaria
Viscaria

I’m terrified that this is coming true. Not the bit about the Nazis “taking back” the streets. I don’t think they will win. But the bit about how they will continue to move more and more into the open, becoming more and more violent.

dslucia
dslucia

@Viscaria:

This is the exact sort of thing I was worrying about just the other day.

What is it about being a decent person that makes people so angry that they need to go out and stab or shoot others? I just… don’t get it.

Kat
Kat

@NiOg

I can’t wrap my head around the idea that no one was arrested.

Good point! I assume that the cops will make arrests shortly. I also assume that some people are still in the hospital.

@FrickleFrackle

Stabbings shouldn’t be considered a valid means of political discourse.

I couldn’t agree more.

Do I think that the counterprotesters should have let these neo-Nazis wave their signs around and shout their slogans?

Yes, I do.

If one group is shouting and looking for trouble and another group is handing out literature about the issue, the peaceful group will win many more hearts and minds.

That said, self-defense might have been necessary in this instance. I can’t find enough details yet to know.

What a sad situation. The right wing has a lot to answer for.

Saphira
Saphira

People were STABBED and HOSPITALIZED and there were NO ARRESTS.

What.

In the everloving.

FUCK.

They’re probably still collecting evidence and interviewing victims and eyewitnesses. Sometimes it’s better that the police take their time gathering all the evidence they can before making an arrest. That insures the right person has been caught and the charges will stick. They want the best possible chance that the persons doing to stabbing will be convicted at trial. If they rush, there’s a chance they won’t gather the needed evidence or the defendant could get off on some technicality.

EJ (The Other One)

@dslucia:

I think it’s because being a decent person is contagious. If we go around being decent people then one by one the rest of humanity will become decent, and eventually these dudes will be left all alone as a redoubt of terribleness. It’s like a zombie movie in reverse.

Their only hope is to strike now, before we spread.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ kat

I’d agree with you that if people spout their hate in a truly public space then it’s probably best to just let them get on with it and make your objections known through peaceful counter demonstrations.

I think there is a huge difference though when people take hate into the hearts of communities. Then they cross a line.

Are you familiar with the Battle of Cable Street for example?

When fascists try to march through areas where those people they seek to victimise live, then that’s a deliberate act of intimidation. It’s an attempt to put fear into people. That’s when I think it becomes justifiable to say “No, this is a line you do not get to cross”.

The issue is whether it’s not only justifiable but also imperative. I can see the argument that it’s best just to ignore such people, and that ‘back turning’ protest did make a good point, and ultimately of course it’s for the people who are being targeted to decide.

Argh, it’s just such a tricky issue. I’m a big believer that mockery is an effective weapon against fascists, but it’s not me who they’re trying to beat up. Is saying ‘we shouldn’t stoop to their level’ demonstrating that we’re better than them; or is that a horrible example of privilege?

I can’t profess to know the answers.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

Indiana Nazis. I hate Indiana Nazis.

ryeash
ryeash

@Victorious Parasol

comment image

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

Saphira | June 27, 2016 at 3:04 am

That is what the news is reporting around here, yeah.

The police are looking at security cameras, any documented footage, and they are trying to get statements from people who were there.

I am glad that they’re taking their time, instead of just hauling everyone off and trying to go from there, but I am concerned that they’ll take too long as well, considering the antagonizers are still walking around, no doubt in Sacramento.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

@ ryeash

Thank you for the laugh – I needed that!

ryeash
ryeash

Any time 🙂

Kat
Kat

@Alan

You make a bunch of really good points, all of them worthy of a lot of consideration.

For me, it comes down to self-defense. If it’s not self-defense, then I say, Don’t do it. Of course, the “fog of war” can make a decision about that tricky.

I heard on my local member-supported radio station (KPFA) that the other side started it and that the police stood by.

But here’s what the Nation (lefty US journal) says:

The violence continued for hours. Hundreds of anti-fascists claimed the three staircases on the south, west, and north sides of the statehouse as their own. Every so often, a white nationalist would try to storm through but, time and again, would be beaten down. The police lines held; they didn’t move forward to rescue the Nazis, but waited until they managed to stumble back, their faces bloodied and swollen, into the police line, and only then offered them a semblance of protection from the furious crowd.

The brawl was savage, elemental, horribly akin to a lynch-mob atmosphere.

I’m not down with this. It’s not the way to win hearts and minds. On the contrary, it’s the way to alienate people. It’s also the way for a lot of people to get hurt or die. I guess that both sides want to prove their street-fighting cred. Apparently, the left has tried this out in a few cities now. Will. not. work.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ kat

That’s a really interesting article. I’m digesting it now. I note the comments about our situation here; there definitely is a massive polarisation of politics. We haven’t quite reached the levels of overt violence yet; but there’s some real nastiness surfacing. So far it seems limited to words, abuse at passers-by and notes through the door; but who knows where it will end?

You raise so many issues to think about though. Just the alienation vs hearts and minds for one. When does listening become endorsement? When does addressing issues become pandering? When is compromise appeasement?

I have no idea what the solutions may be; it’s hard enough identifying the questions?

I would generally agree that political violence is something to be avoided. It ends with murdered MPs; but sometimes it may be necessary perhaps? People have brought up parallels with what happened in the 1930s. In the UK people took the battle against facism to the streets. How effective was that? Well, I’ll leave consideration of the rise and fall of Mosely’s BUF as an excercise for the reader.

It’s clear that at least some of the anti-fa people are just up for the fight. They’ve got as much concern about the ’cause’ as a football hooligan has for the sport. We see something similar in animal rights.

Your self defence test is a good one. But as you say, identifying what is self defence can be a complex question; and there’s no definitive answer.

Lots to think about.

Virgin Mary
Virgin Mary

@kat

The second article on that page is very interesting. Thank you for posting. It looks like Trump has ‘opened the floodgates’ for another, more politically savvy neo fascist demagogue to arrive in his wake. From what’s visible on the streets, this seems like a very prophetic vision.