entitled babies guns heartiste men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny oppressed white men PUA racism threats trump

This is Trump’s America: A tribal-tatted swole dude yelling “COOK MY BURRITO, BITCH!”

Welcome to Trump's America
This dude has some thoughts he’d like to share with you

Pledge Drive continues! If you enjoy this blog, and can afford it, please click on the “donate” button below and send some bucks my way!  Thanks!

So this was the scene outside a Trump rally in Phoenix Arizona last Saturday: A “tribal”-tatted, Trump-supporting Swole-American yelling “F–KING COOK MY BURRITO, BITCH” at a gentleman he evidently believed to be of Mexican descent.

Some of his other, er, observations:

• “Get the f–k out of here! Our country, motherf–ker, our country!”
  • “Proud f–king American! Made in USA, bitch, made in f–king USA!”
  • “Build that f–king wall, for me!”
  • “Trump! I love Trump!”

You can watch the whole performance below, in a video that went viral this past week after being posted on Gawker.

If you pause the video 55 seconds in, you can spot a tattooed number “43” under the arm of the muscular fellow, later identified as Zack Fisher;  this just happens to be a favorite symbol of a small but spirited organization called the Supreme White Alliance. You can probably guess what sort of group it is.

Naturally, Fisher has been warmly embraced by some of Trump’s most obnoxiously racist fans.

But before we get to that, let’s hear a bit more from Fisher himself — who explained to The Tab that, why no, he wasn’t a racist at all.

I love all colors. I’m no racist. I am who I am. There’s people out there of all colors that are horrible. Whites, browns, blacks, yellows out there, it doesn’t matter. It’s the color of your heart. …

It sucks that people are scared to stand up for what they believe in, and yet Latinos can do it and it’s fine. And if we do it? We’re racist. White people? The only race you can legally discriminate against.

He apparently spends a lot of time thinking about White Chicks, a Wayans Brothers “comedy” from 2004 in which two of the Wayanses play rogue FBI agents who go undercover as, well, white chicks.

People make movies about us and do we get mad? Like White Chicks? If there was a movie called Black Chicks, it would be a huge race thing. … We couldn’t do that, no way, they’d be like, “this is so racist.” And yet they can make a movie making fun of white people.

And what a widely celebrated film it is! Richard Roeper declared it “the worst movie of the year,” while Roger Ebert informed his readers that “it took an act of the will to keep me in the theater.” It’s got a Rotten Tomatoes score of 13%, ranking it lower than Wild Hogs, The Love Guru, and Hot Tub Time Machine 2.

I just wish people could get over what happened back in the day, to Mexico or Blacks. That was back in the past, people don’t get over it and it sucks. I forgive and forget. A lot of people don’t.

Dude, you haven’t even gotten over “White Chicks!”

Fisher may want to pretend that he’s not racist; many of his new fans don’t bother denying their racism.

Heartiste, the pickup-artist-turned-internet-Nazi, declared Fischer to be the “Sh-tlord Of The Week” for this week, encouraging his readers to adopt Fisher’s catchphrase “GO F–KING COOK MY BURRITO BITCH” as their own.

“If America is to be great/White again,” Heartiste declared,

she’ll need the help of ALL her sh-tlords, from the meme-making pranksters to the theme-cranking intellectuals to the shitlib-shaming musclebros. … it’s all to the Good in the Time of the Trumpening.

Heartiste’s fans were equally enthusiastic

A fellow calling himself Southern WASP happily declared:

It’s happening — the same noble White Man’s spirit that created the United States, as an act of rebellion, is now returning.

An older gentleman calling himself ultimathule1 happily explained that the video “just made my day!” It also got him thinking wistfully about growing up in a much whiter America.

I’m 60 years old, so I was 4 years old in 1960 when the U.S. was just a hair under 90% White. That”s the Whitest that it’s ever been, before or since. I have clear, wonderful memories of my childhood in the ’60s, growing up in a Finnish immigrant family with loving Old World parents and surrounded by normal, psychologically-healthy White Americans.

These days, ultimathule1 complained,

We Europeans are being squeezed into impending extinction simultaneously from below and above. Regardless of whether Trump wins or loses, he has unleashed a powerful force – the angry and fed-up White Man who will no longer take his dispossession passively, but who will push back and fight for everything he loves. To quote Steve McNallen, the founder of the Asatru Folk Assembly, “The existence of my people is not negotiable!” Let that be one of our war slogans.

The Asatru Folk Assembly, in case you’re wondering, is a white supremacist Odinist sect.

Captain Obvious suggested that he would soon be personally taking up arms:

Shiznat’s starting to get real. I’ve been thinking a lot about the Ruger Alaskan 2.5″ in 44 magnum – will it fit in the pants pocket of my Dickies work jeans?

In a followup comment, he explained why he needed a gun he could easily conceal:

I live on the outskirts of Sh!tlibistan. Folks here would totally phreak out if they saw open carry. … we have a metric sh-t-ton of nogs & muds & mystery meats & other troublemakers in the immediate vicinity [and we’ve even had mohammedan events]. So I need something with stopping power [for large nogs & mohammedans & sh!tlib pitbulls & whatnot] which doesn’t bulge too much.

Fisher, too, has evidently taken up arms, telling The Tab that since the video of him went viral he’s been carrying a “gun, with a bullet in the chamber. And that’s fine, I carry a gun with me everywhere and always.”

At the same Trump rally, an apparent friend of Fisher showed up in a “F–K Islam” t-shirt; after being escorted from the event, apparently by Trump’s security detail, he strapped on a gun and gave this interview to Eric Rosenwald, who also shot the video of Fisher.

Not all Trump supporters have picked up guns. Some, like the gleefully grinning young man in this earlier video by Rosenwald, prefer pepper spray.

This is what Trump has wrought.

ryeash
ryeash

@PoM

I remembered him stumbling pretty hard over that, but I couldn’t figure out if he finally snapped under the pressure of having to actually explain how his hypothetical model of non-government would work or if he just felt like it was a good place to start shouting. He started repeating himself, and I kind of spaced out into my game until he was raising his voice.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ POM

We have a land registry which records ownership of property with written deeds and plans and everything; but our courts are still cluttered with people rowing about where a garden fence should be,

Bryce
Bryce

Most free market libertarians appear to accept a low (flat) tax in order to fund the criminal justice system, national defense, border security and so on, so what it boils down to is an opposition to wealth redistribution.

littleknown
littleknown

@ryeash

My eyes also started to glaze over a bit when he said “you’re asking me to centrally plan liberty/freedom” for the 16th time. Then the yelling just came out of nowhere. He was interrupting Sam left and right, only to repeat himself each time, and he just lost it when he realized that he would actually have to explain how property rights would be enforced without a government, rather than simply talk over the host of the program on which he was a guest.

Dalillama

@IP

You can agree with Locke but recognize (as Locke did) that you need government to enforce the natural law.

If it needs a government to enforce it, it’s not a natural law, and it’s frankly ludicrous to suggest that it is.

Virgin Mary
Virgin Mary

I don’t get this food fascism thing. In the UK we like our spicy ‘foreign’ foods. I’m a veggie/pescatarian so I like a lot of what Wetherspoons has to offer, Mexican Mondays! Thursday Curry night! Yum. And you get a free drink!
There’s nothing quite like a burrito and a pint of local real ale!

ryeash
ryeash

@littleknown

Haha, my partner and I were just mocking that. “You can’t ask me to centrally plan freedom, Sam!” Like if he said it enough times, he’d just be declared the winner.

I actually watched the debate between Michael and Sargon, and the latter used the exact same tactic. It’s like they think it’s a smokescreen they can use to escape the debate with their dignity intact.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

@Dalillama

I didn’t say that. I think you’re quoting PoM there?

However, I agree. A natural law is a law by which nature abides. That’s what natural law means. A law that has been invented and is actively enforced by people isn’t a natural law. That’s not really how words work.

History Nerd
History Nerd

Many right libertarians do want a society that’s de facto based on privately owned fiefdoms (with or without various forms of serfdom or slavery) with a local government that will crush anyone who defies the property system and otherwise leave everyone alone. They’re usually dishonest about what their ultimate aims are.

Nazis and fascists want a centralized totalitarian government, but they’re fine supporting right libertarianism if it will weaken the government and make it easier to take control. They agree with the same Social Darwinist bullshit anyway.

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

I don’t know anything about politics and whatever so who do I vote for? Who are the best candidates for president, etc?

pitshade
pitshade

@ Alan

I have some anarcho-punk albums and compilations but I don’t know much about the people behind it. There are some other bands I like that are anarchists but their music isn’t that genre.

Mish
Mish

@Alan & Imaginary Petal, no problems, happy to share. There’s a publication happening but that’ll take forever so I can send you the current version. I’ll wait until after I’ve presented it on Friday morning – there’s Q&A afterwards, so I’m looking forward to feedback. Some big international and Aust feminists coming – I’m equal parts terrified and excited.
Alan, I’d love to hear about the debate you mention, too.

@Axe –

I’m not gonna make the obvious ‘Australians and profanity’ joke.

Coming from you, that’s hilarious 😛 . But he is 13, so maybe you have a point.

Re “natural law” – it does have a specific meaning in legal and philosophical terms; it doesn’t refer to a law that comes from nature or that is not made by humans. It’s more to do with a law that is linked to morality/ethics. So the notion of a natural law that requires enforcement isn’t oxymoronic in this particular sense. Apologies if I’m spelling out what’s already known 🙂

Virgin Mary
Virgin Mary

@fruitloopsie

Bernie Sanders would be a great choice.
I guess you are obviously anti Trump, that bit goes without saying.
Hilary would be a great role model for women, and a big up yourself to the Trumpettes, so it’s worth voting for her if there’s no other choice. She is nowhere near as left wing as Bernie the which is a shame. Bill was a silly man to get involved in a sex scandal, but of course, not Hilary’s fault. At least he was not a war monger like either Bush, Regan or Nixon. I don’t see America becoming socialist anytime soon unfortunately.

Dalillama

@Imaginary Petal

I didn’t say that. I think you’re quoting PoM there?

So I was; I apologize. (It’s even more embarassing when I make that kind of mistake in meatspace).

@History Nerd

And right-libertarians are happy to cooperate with facists in order to put their economic ideas into force (said economic ideas being actually virtually identical to those proposed by fascists; they only use different buzzwords). Look up the Chicago Boys sometime, they worked for Pinochet to install a perfect market fundamentalist economy in Chile, and it practically destroyed the country.

@Mish

I am aware of the term, but a) right-libertarians often elide ‘natural law’ and ‘law of nature’, and b) the idea in its philosophical context is still nonsensical, as it presumes the existence of an external source of morality and ethics but cannot demonstrate such a thing, nor even adequately describe what such a source might be. The idea in its legal context is a tautology, inasmuch as every law enacted by any society has some type of moral or ethical component by definition (by someone’s standards of morals and ethics, anyway).
There’s a case to be made that the aggregate behaviour of human populations under various legal regimes is broadly predictable, and it’s certainly possible to objectively discern in many cases what laws will lead to what outcomes, but consensus on desired outcomes has to be reached first.

epitome of incomprehensibility

I learned a new word today – “swole” for muscular. I’d heard “ripped” and “jacked,” but not “swole.”

@Fruitloopsie – If I were American I’d vote Democrat.

@Mish – The term “natural law” makes me shudder (metaphorically), but that’s because I’ve heard it used in defending anti-gay nonsense. I’m not too caught up on my 17th-century philosophers, though.

Dalillama

@epitome of incomprehensibility

That’s because the (now) unspoken external source of morality that underlies the concept is Jehovah, and has been since Tomas Aquinas.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

I have no idea why you’re being so fucking hostile to me. What exactly brought this on?

Fabe
Fabe

This isn’t the first sexist thing Notch has done.

Tl;dr version: we can’t have wimmens in minecraft because blocks can’t be curvy!

I’m not going to get into the whole splaining argument right now. Instead, I advise you to read up on it before you dismiss it.

and yet we now have the blocky yet easily identifiable as female ‘Alex’ skin. go figure

Mish
Mish

@epitome of incomprehensibility – ‘natural law’ actually goes all the way back to the Ancient Greeks, although obviously its specific content has changed. The use of it by homophobes (which makes me shudder, too) is misappropriation or misunderstanding. Philosophically it’s got nothing to do with ‘nature’ or ‘natural’ (as in biology or physics etc.) but some people use it as if it did (i.e. homophobes). This is why I noted earlier that a natural law that needs to be upheld and enforced is not contradictory, because ‘natural’ in this case does not mean it’s simply given.

Aside from that, the whole notion of ‘natural law’ does have problems; for religious people, the source of natural law would be god/gods/ scriptures, etc. while for secular people, it’s usually sourced from reason and critical thought; e.g. what are the laws that can be defined as universally good? It’s basically very subjective (how can we all agree on this?) but often masquerades as if it weren’t. The intellectual exercise of trying to come up with – and then justify – a natural law is rewarding, though! I often have my sociology students try it as it’s great for sharpening critical thinking capacity.

Axecalibur
Axecalibur

Haven’t read all the comments yet, so maybe someone’s said, but:

‘We Europeans are being squeezed into impending extinction simultaneously from below and above.’

What does ‘below and above’ mean?

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ mish

Ah thank you, that’s very much appreciated.

I’d love to hear about the debate you mention

He, not many people volunteer for more of my waffling, but I’ll point you in the direction of some of the better commentary. It’s all the animal rights stuff. It’s epitomised by the Greenpeace vs Sea Shepherds schism (you might want to google ‘Paul Watson) but it goes further. You’ve really got a spectrum from clicking ‘like’ to firebombing. Of course, if you believe speciesism is a thing then you’re justified in doing anything on behalf of an animal that you would on behalf of a human; that’s the theory at least.

It’s also tangentially related to veganism (there’s quite a crossover between animal rights and the more evangelical vegan wing). Vegan advocacy and tactics was touched on briefly in another thread. There’s some interesting issues there too.

All sorts of things crop up in those debates. Is it ok the use national stereotypes? Is there an element of body shaming? Are some of the arguments bordering on pseudoscience etc?

I’m really looking forward to seeing your stuff as I think there might be a lot of crossover.

Strykr5
Strykr5

@Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Okay, the only reason I ever found that site was because I saw an article on it that was posted here. And the reason I was on it was because I was arguing against what she had written in one of her blogs.

@weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo
I really don’t see where all the hostility is coming from. I just said that I don’t like using gendered terms much like most people in civil society.

occasional reader
occasional reader

> Sinkable John

There’s a word in French for people like that. “Beauf”. He’s like, the embodiment of it. Down to the “tribal” tats.

As i may agree about the personality of the person, physically, it is a bit more the opposite.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

@strykr5

Oh ffs. You’re not fooling anyone. Below are some things that you have said on your disqus profile.

Unironically using the word “cucked”, and promoting torture:

The security services [in U.A.E.] routinely conduct surveillance of Mosques, and employ torture to bust up extremist rings within the country. You know Europe is cucked when they have less security measures to prevent radicalisation and extremism than a literal Arab, Muslim country.

Fat shaming:

Don’t become bitter or resentful like the fat guy. I was really chubby and unpopular in middle school but I worked on improving myself and dated a few girls in high school because I was a better person.

Tumblr hysteria:

Lol Tumblr? I give it 5 minutes before you are accused of trying to spread colonialism and patriarchy by some gendervoid demiqueer foxkin 😛

Promoting sexism in the military:

There is a multitude of non-combat related tasks women can be put to work in. Accounting, desk jobs, technical/engineering jobs, maintenance, public relations, diplomatic outreach etc. And the men who will be freed up from these positions can them be added to combat roles.

“LOL women get things for free LOL”:

Of course the majority of her [Hillary Clinton’s] supporters are of the…less perceptive nature and will vote for her because she’s a woman or whatnot.

Women should just shut up and go to parties all the time:

In any event she doesn’t really have to do anything when she gets into office. All she needs to do is shut up and sign off liberal policies for me. If she does that, she can attend cocktail parties for the rest of her administration for all I care.

Supporting the death penalty:

I fully support the death penalty as I do not believe undesirables should be kept alive with funds that should be serving the people.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

True, but the political philosophy used by present-day libertarians lies on a line that runs from Locke directly through Ayn Rand. It’s Locke’s particular ideas about property (which he partially cribbed from others, but upon which he put his own spin) that Perry is almost quoting there. It’s probably because Rand was strongly influenced, whether she realized it or not, by Lockean ideas, and Atlas Shrugged is like the Bible to these folks.

Like Locke and Rand, Perry has some ideas about property that sort-of work in the abstract but which fall apart when applied to reality. Locke’s philosophy about property presumed limitless resources, and Rand took that to a bizarre extreme by making Galt’s Gulch stupidly rich in natural resources. Perry wants people to live in total independence from others, but that requires a lot more land per person than a lot of folks realize, and the Earth is finite. There just literally isn’t enough land on Earth for everyone to have ~20 acres or more (depending on climate). Quality of life is also limited when you have to source your entire lifestyle from your personal plot of land, because you can’t rely on someone else being willing to rent you the use of a road to get to/from a market at a reasonable rate than you can afford to pay. And how do you guarantee that your access to water will never be threatened by other people’s use of the same water resource that you are using?

But, of course, the question that made him go ballistic didn’t even address that, but rather who would keep Perry’s neighbor from forcibly evicting him from his property if government had no greater power over the neighbor than it has over Perry himself. Locke actually did have an answer to this (government should have power to enforce laws, natural and otherwise), whereas Rand just thought that it would somehow work itself out because capitalists universally behave in a perfectly moral way (but only with other capitalists; it’s perfectly moral to throw a government worker down the stairs or purposefully engineer a disaster that will kill millions of non-capitalists). The answer that Perry sort of groped toward was the Rand version, the one that makes no sense whatsoever.

Mish
Mish

@PoM – no argument from me there; I’m in complete agreement with every point you made re Locke, Rand, etc. 🙂
My comment was only in reply to epitome of incomprehensibility – I hadn’t even seen the clip with Perry at that point. I was making a general statement about the history of ‘natural law’ as a concept.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

We had a ‘Natural Law Party’ over here in the 90s. They actually contested just about every seat in the 92 election. Unfortunately none of them got elected though so we never found out if yogic flying would sort out all the UK’s problems.

(Compared to the current debacle that’s going on with our political parties this morning, they don’t seem so daft now)

Virgin Mary
Virgin Mary

@alan

I was asked to stand twice for Labour on the local council, the first time in 2007 just after I left university in Chichester, the second a few years ago on the Isle of Wight. Both times I have refused, and I still would not do it. Both these constituencies are on the ‘wealthy’ south coast and are Tory strongholds. I know a lot of my mum’s friends are Tory voters despite being dispossessed and retired benefit receivers, but they choose Tory for the Queen and religion. A lot of them are strong Ukippers as well. I did not vote Labour in the general election, which was a mistake I regret now, we should have shown more solidarity and not split up the left vote. I voted Green as they were more in line with my beliefs. Labour is still too Blairite, tho I hope this changed soon with Corbin. I would vote Natural Law if they were to stand, they are as much of a laughing stock as myself and my comrades are!

Viscaria
Viscaria

So, just to summarize, Strykr5 is opposed to the word mansplaining because he “[doesn’t] like using gendered terms much like most people in civil society,” but he also thinks it’s cool to mock people specifically for having certain genders. That about figures.

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

The whole “Remove Kebab” thing is a nauseating reference, right up there with all the other terrible neo-nazi racist garbage. It’s a reference to the ethnic cleansing of the Bosnian Turks in Serbia, specifically, and has been expanded to include the genocide of Islamic adherents. It’s a line in an amateur music video made by three Serbian border guards, called “Serbia Strong”.

The last multiplayer online game I was involved with, I was part of a group that was generally pretty cheerful and fun but had a lot of drama and some very sexist/racist undertones. They started using the reference for – well, for pretty much anyone the group was fighting against.

When I figured out what they were talking about, I decided that I’d had enough of the online gaming community. Haven’t looked back.

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

tim gueguen:

I have my suspicion that in 1960 there were probably Americans who didn’t think Finns were in fact properly white. ultimathule’s supposed Finnish immigrant parents at the very least probably had problems at some point because they had accents, and hence didn’t sound sufficiently American enough.

When Finnish immigration to US started in the late 19th century, Finns were considered second class whites at best and outright savages at worst. Ultimathule was apparently born around 1956, when most of that prejudice had already passed.

As Monzach noted, it’s ironic that Finnish neonazis tend to go along with Germanic neopaganism that’s so popular in international white supremacist circles. Traditionally, Finnish nationalism is all about being different from Scandinavia/Sweden.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko

@occasional reader

Nailed it.

@Valentine, Jack and kupo

Incidentally, tonight I had homemade kebab made with baguette, with a variant of bisque with morroccan spices on the side. My 4 year old niece (of “mixed race”) helped make it, yelling “YAAAAAY” all the way.

They probably wanna nuke this house right now, but well, fuck ’em, dinner was awesome.

Handsome "These Pretzels Suck" Jack (formerly Pandapool)

@Sinkable John

Mmmm, bisque.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

@weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

You’re awfully delicate and fragile aren’t you? I went back and reread my comment and it wasn’t particularly hostile. I explained to you the purpose of the term. That’s all.

I’m also not sure what you mean by saying most people don’t like gendered terms.

I’m so sorry you thought your apologia for Notch’s sexist asshole behavior would actually go over well. Maybe next time you’ll not try it on a site devoted to mocking misogyny.

In my experience anarchists are generally informally collective. I’ve worked with several anarchist groups and they all had a similar consensus decisionmaking process–and honestly the best-run events I’ve ever attended or helped out at were hosted by anarchists; everyone takes responsibility, knows what he/she is doing, shows initiative, and is strongly motivated to make things run well and efficiently. Although they have fewer/no illusions about what people are like, they do cooperate well, for two reasons–first the anarchists I know communicate in a very sophisticated way; they can clearly and effectively express their needs, come to agreement, ameliorate dissent, and acknowledge and channel emotions. And second, to be fair, the groups are pretty homogeneous; they tend to come from similar backgrounds, classes, demographics and regions. (I remember years ago hearing a research seminar about the inverse relationship between group homogeneity and ability to come to consensus–progressives value both diversity and cooperation, but one tends to retard the other).

Libertarians, as far as I can tell, just have a hard time accepting that humans are dependent and interdependent. I just this morning listened to the Perry interview–I agree, libertarian comedy gold :)–and the question I wanted Sam to ask was ‘OK, everyone agrees you own your land, you can proudly sit on your hill and not be beholden to anyone…then what happens? Are you really content to live entirely on and with what you yourself can produce from your land?’ They might argue no, I’ll sell the products of my labour…but then we get into another whole set of regulatory issues I’m willing to bet libertarians would really prefer not to discuss. What’s a ‘fair’ return for your labour? What if you don’t have anything to offer that someone else wants? What if there’s a huge oversupply of egotistical software geeks and no actual computers in the libertarian paradise? How can you pay someone to teach you a skill you can sell?

Diptych
Diptych

Just putting my hand up as another libsoc and also someone who’s been majorly into anarcho-punk over the years. Crass, Conflict, Poison Girls… not all of that music has aged well, but some of it really holds up. Also, all this food talk’s inspired me to look up some new lunch places – might grab a veggie gözleme… (Also also, I hear Stardew Valley is excellent, but I have a glut of good games at the moment, so I’ve been putting off picking it up.)

epitome of incomprehensibility

@Dalillama, @Mish, @PoM – Thanks for the insights into the term “natural law” and ideas of property ownership.

@Alan – But levitation’s against the law of gravity! Not allowed. 😛

Matt
Matt

I need something which doesn’t bulge too much.

That’ll make a nice *pair* of non-bulging things in his pants, then…

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ epitome

Yeah, but gravity’s just a theory 😉

Dalillama

@PoM

I was?

@Alan

We had a ‘Natural Law Party’ over here in the 90s.

The States are infested with those; every last one based principally on homophobia, with a side of transphobia and sprinkles of every other bigotry under the sun. They tend to be theocrats of a sort that would make Daesh blush.

@Virgin Mary

There’s a bit of historical irony for you, Tories having gotten their name from supporting a Catholic for the throne.

@Guest

C.T. Butler and Amy Rothstein codified the process in 1987; you can find it here. (Both of them are also really excellent people).