homophobia open thread

Open Thread: Mass shooting at gay nightclub in Orlando; at least 50 dead

Police, sherriff and FBI officials at a press conference this morning
Law enforcement officials at a press conference this morning

UPDATE 2, 1 PM central time

Horrific news out of Orlando: A gunman armed with an assault rifle and other weapons killed at least 50 in a terrorist attack the Pulse nightclub in Orlando; more than 50  have been taken to hospitals.

The gunman, killed in a shootout with police, has been identified as Omar Mateen; the Daily Beast reports that he was previously investigated by the FBI. NBC is reporting that before the shootngs he called 911 and swore allegiance to ISIS.

NBC is also reporting that Mateen was a violent homophobe, according to his father. It seems clear that the club was deliberately targeted because it catered to the LGBT community. The father told NBC that the shootng was likely motivated by his son’s hatred of gays. “This had nothing to do with religion,” he told them.

His ex-wife told the Washington Post that he was an unstable and abusive man. “He beat me,” she saud. “He would just come home and start beating me up because the laundry wasn’t finished or something like that.”

Horrendous.

Meanwhile, 4chan trolls are busily spreading disinformation about the shooting.

Please post your thoughts, and any relevant information you run across.

Jamesworkshop
Jamesworkshop

*Reminder* If you are like me, and you don’t have an LGBT identity, don’t tone police the LGBT communities response to this tragedy.

Not that any regulars here would, but for any lurking trolls, this is for you.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

I woke up to this story today. Terrible.

D. D. Webb

I’m scared of my own lack of shock. This should be world-stopping news. Stuff like this should not happen, and ought to bring everything to a halt as everyone tries to process how something so abominable could even occur.

But no, this is just another week in America.

It not only could happen anywhere, but probably will, sooner or later.

Dunno if I’m just getting nihilistic as I age or there’s something bitterly sick in our society.

MissEB47
MissEB47

D.D Web-You are not the only one. I am saddened, horrified and angry at the shooting, but it is impossible for me to be shocked or surprised anymore. It is is impossible, because things like this happen again and again and again! I wish it would just stop. 😢

j. amsterdam
j. amsterdam

watching this at a local msnbc news affiliate website; http://www.wesh.com/news/multiple-shots-reported-at-downtown-orlando-nightclub/40017844

unbelievable how even in a terrorist attack like this they rather not discuss possible motivations of the shooter at all than having to mention this was a popular gay club, only vague mention i saw in almost an hour of news coverage was a tweet with “the club known for people with a alternative lifestyle”
disgusting and so sad.

makroth
makroth

”they’re calling it a terrorist attack.”

I was about to post a ”Hallelujah” pic thinking the shooter was white, but no. He wasn’t. He would’nt get called a terrorist if he was.

Ichthyic
Ichthyic

no. He wasn’t

you see confirmation of that? not in any of the 3 articles I have read.

Spaceman
Spaceman

I use to work just down the road from there. This is horribly sad news. I’ve been checking FB and Twitter this morning hoping to see stuff from friends to know they are OK. Thankfully many seem to be.

My thoughts are with the victims, survivors and their families today.

I honestly don’t care who did it. I hope they never publish the name of the person. I don’t want any publicity to come to the people who commit these terrible acts. I want these murderers to be remembered by nobody and go away in absolute silence.

j. amsterdam
j. amsterdam

@ makroth

you have seen or heard reports about what the unsub looked like?

because when the feds called it “domestic terrorism” i thought that signalled a probable white shooter, but that’s full speculation to be honest.

at least the news now finally starts to mention its a gay club and that that is probably part of the motivation.

Ichthyic
Ichthyic

Police have called it a “domestic terror event”.

that implies non-muslim in America speak.

I’m guessing primary suspect (dead) is white.

none of the ten stories I have now read say anything more than this.

Cupcakes 4 Hitler
Cupcakes 4 Hitler

Shocking. I was already disgusted by the killing of Christina Grimmie yesterday. Orlando is not a happy place to be at the moment. 🙁

AKemp

Less than 24 hours ago, I posted my condolences for Christina Grimmie’s family and friends. Now, I’m posting another sad tribute to people who didn’t deserve this sort of violent end.

This can’t be the new normal for our society. We can’t allow for so many lives to be snuffed out in seconds. We have to make this stop.

Ichthyic
Ichthyic

🙁

condolences.

I Blame Myself
I Blame Myself

I live in Australia, and I think it’s sad that the way I found out about this was someone telling me ‘Hey, did you hear there was another mass shooting in the US?’
It’s almost become expected here, like it’s not even surprising anymore. World spins round, sun shines, bears shit in the woods and Americans sort out their differences with bullets.
The way the world is right now… it’s shit. There’s no other way for me to put it. It’s just pure fucking shit.

NiOg
NiOg

This is awful.

I don’t get a news feed, so I found out about it here.

I tried typing out a thinking, intelligent response, but I can’t.

This is awful. Those poor people.

Catherine
Catherine

D.D.Webb, you’re certainly not the only one.

There’s a lot that has occurred lately and I, along with other Family members, have wondered the same thing.

I can’t begin to imagine what the (surviving) victims and the families of the victims will be going through.

I don’t know much more about it or how bad injuries are. I’m looking out.

DoctorChicken
DoctorChicken

I’m dreading the possibility of the shooter being somehow related to 4chan’s /pol/ board.

Moggie
Moggie

It just never ends. In any other country which isn’t an actual war zone, this would be a pivotal event, but in the US it’s just… Sunday.

Mortarius
Mortarius

@I Blame Myself: I was the herald of such news to people I know and I delivered it in much the same way. “Another mass shooting in the USA”.

It’s so ridiculous one of my friends laughed when I said it. Like he believed me but also found it unbelievable.

To us here in Aus I guess it really is unbelievable, a single gun murder can make national news here. Our worst that I can remember is last weeks incident where the cops accidentally shot those elderly women while trying to shoot a mentally ill man.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

I’m some strange mixture of “sad” and “numb” right now. I think I used up a lot of emotions when the Columbine shooting made the news over 25 years ago.

ETA: Argh. Stupid login problems.

Eyes on the Right

Jesus, and only a few miles away from where that singer was murdered. I don’t really know what to say at this point because it’s become some sick ritual here in America. Mass shooting occurs, scores of people dead or injured, then no action is taken to prevent these tragedies from happening in the future. If it’s a domestic terror attack on a gay nightclub then it shouldn’t be hard to piece together what the shooter’s motive was, but I’m waiting to hear from the police at this point once they reveal more details. It hasn’t even been a full year since the Charleston church massacre either.

kupo
kupo

I want out of this country. I feel powerless to do anything to fix all of these problems. At the very least, I’m glad we got Hillary instead of Bernie because Bernie was never going to do anything about this gun violence. Now let’s hope she actually gets elected and is actually able to get anything accomplished.

Eyes on the Right

They’ve released the name of the alleged perpetrator. I know some in the thread don’t want it mentioned so I’ll just say you can find it if you’re interested.

@kupo

The sad fact is that there isn’t much that can be done about gun violence short of a Supreme Court ruling, unless Democrats also retake the House and Senate. (Full disclosure, I was a Bernie supporter who falls into the “Meh, guess I’m with her” camp.) SCOTUS already ruled that individual gun ownership was a constitutional right, but they only extended that right to weapons “commonly in use.” That was actually going to be a battle until Scalia died, as NY and CT passed extensive bans on assault weapons that were challenged in court.

Merrick Garland I don’t know enough about to say how he’d rule, but any choice by Clinton or Sanders would be a progressive one and, I’d imagine, uphold a ban on assault weapons. It’s extremely unlikely that they’d overrule Heller and MacDonald IMHO, since those were such recent and precedent-setting cases. Maybe in ten, fifteen, twenty years time the Court will say they were wrongly decided.

Spaceman
Spaceman

If anyone is in the CFL area, they need blood.

OeBlood is putting out a call this morning for blood donations in the wake of the Pulse nightclub shooting that killed 20 people and injured at least 42 others.

“There is an urgent need for O Negative, O Positive and AB Plasma blood donors following a mass shooting in Orlando, Florida,” said the news release from OneBlood.

To find a donation center or Big Red Bus near you visit http://www.oneblood.org or call 1.888.9Donate.

Donors should be healthy, age 16 or older and weigh at least 100 pounds.

cool_clock_ahmed
cool_clock_ahmed

that implies non-muslim in America speak.

I’m guessing primary suspect (dead) is white

😀 😀 😀 😀

Nernir is a moderate tip the rest of the world.
Nernir is a moderate tip the rest of the world.

I am so sad and angry. I hate this cherry picking of what rights are important.

They find hundreds of different ways to peck away the rights of women to have access to abortions, but the right to own guns is somehow sacrosanct. Apparently only fetuses deserve the right to life, once your out of the womb no one gives a shit.

dslucia
dslucia

Ugh. Two people came to Orlando from other places just to shoot up people this weekend? Honestly, I used to not care about gun control at all because I felt like if people really wanted to get their hands on a gun they’d be able to regardless of the law, but this is just ridiculous.

Bina

Fucking Florida Man… product of raging LGBTphobia and Castle Doctrine. To hell with him.

This song was originally written for the killer of John Lennon, but I think it applies regardless:

JSun
JSun

The latest updates I’m finding for this have the death toll at over 50 now. Can anyone confirm?

Hu's On First
Hu's On First

For kupo and others:

Visas and Migration (from the office of the Australian embassy in Washington, D.C.)

Kat
Kat

This is the latest tweet from AP:

BREAKING: The massacre at an Orlando nightclub that claimed 50 lives is the worst mass shooting in U.S. history

My thoughts are with everyone involved in another US tragedy.

LindsayIrene

It looks like the death toll is closer to fifty. There was an off-duty police officer there who started shooting back. What a nightmare.

KittyCartel
KittyCartel

Re: Donating Blood. Are gay/Bi men still prevented from donating blood? I haven’t donated in a while due to my job so I haven’t seen the questionnaire in over a year.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

Argl.

And then some people ask me why I treat the alt right, 4chan, and thoses related idiots the exact same as neonazis. That’s why.

JSun
JSun

Of course the white media is immediately asking if the guy was muslim or had ties to them. Because of course, any terrorist attack must be from someone who’s not completely white right? After all white people are fragile little flowers who could never do any harm to anyone. /SUPREME SARCASM.

pitshade
pitshade

Casualties are now reported by the BBC at 50 dead, which makes it the worst mass shooting in the US (according to Wikipedia)

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

Fucking hell. My news sources now say 50 people dead. If that’s true, it must be by far the most deadly mass shooting in the US so far?

I’ll also not say the name of the perpetrator, but it’s a man of Afghan descent with a typical Afghan name. This will turn into a disgusting public conversation in the United States and the rest of the world.

Edit: Ninja’d by everybody on the death toll.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

@KittyCartel

I don’t know what the requirements are in the US or in Florida specifically. In my country, I was very surprised to find out that you’re not allowed to donate blood within a year after having had sex with another man, if you’re a man.

I can’t donate blood because of medical reasons. :/

EDIT: I copied this from redcrossblood.org.

On December 21, 2015, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued final guidance for deferral criteria for men who have had sex with men (MSM). AABB, America’s Blood Centers and the Red Cross support the FDA’s decision to change the MSM blood donation policy from a lifetime deferral to a one-year deferral and additionally for the purposes of blood donation gender is self-identified and self-reported, which is relevant to the transgender community. This policy change aligns the MSM donor deferral period with those for other activities that may pose a similar risk of transfusion-transmissible infections.

The Red Cross is working diligently to determine a process for the reinstatement of eligible donors. While the FDA’s final guidance on the MSM blood donation policy describes a pathway for previously deferred donors to give blood. It will take several months for the Red Cross to update computer systems, modify processes and procedures, train staff, and implement these changes which need to be made before donors affected by this change can be accepted for donation.

Bina

Well, THIS sucks. Looks like Florida Man may have Daesh ties:

The shooter was identified as Omar S. Mateen, a man that a senior FBI official said might have had leanings towards Islamic State militants. Officials cautioned that the Islamist tie required further investigation.

No wonder they were so quick to call it terrorism. Even though it still would be if he were a white Christian.

Grrrrrrr.

kupo
kupo

@Kitty Cartel
If they’re currently sexually active, they cannot donate blood. 🙁 But I’m able to again because it’s been more than 12 months since I’ve been with a man who’s been with another man, so that’s something I guess.

Edit: ninja’d!

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

What a thing to wake up to. And you know it’s not going to change any gun laws or gun culture. If nothing changed in response to Sandy Hook, there’s not going to be enough horror at the shooting of gay people to change anything. I feel like each and every American will have to lose a loved one to gun violence before anything will ever change 🙁

It’s not that most Americans are opposed to some gun control. Most are for it. It’s that we’ve taken gun violence so for granted that it’s normal. People don’t even realize that it isn’t like this in other countries of comparable wealth and political stability.

Nequam
Nequam

The cynical bitch in me was all “Man, what’s the alt-right going to do? Gloat that the shooter shows how Muslims are all terrorists, or cheer that he took out a bunch of fa**ots?” Though given their capacity for cognitive dissonance, probably both.

Anyway, on a different– better?– note, my husband and I are driving down to SoCal to see our families. I think it’ll be bittersweet as I have not seen my dad since the cancer diagnosis and while he apparently got through treatment pretty well it still took a lot out of him.

Bonelady
Bonelady

The shooter was born here of Afghani immigrant parents. The parents say he saw 2 men kissing a few months ago and was upset by it. Wonkette says 53 dead, but so far they are the only ones. This is now the largest mass shooting in US history, oh joy. This sort of thing must stop. Congress won’t do it, so we must. If a candidate is against any curbs on guns, DO NOT VOTE FOR HIM/HER/IT. It is literally that simple.

Bina

On a somewhat lighter note, for those who need cheering, here’s an Iraqi guy in Britain, explaining soccer hooligans to fellow Arabs the way the news “explains” Muslim conflicts.

Spaceman
Spaceman

Its crazy, I’ve been past that place all the time going to lunch. Its a great neighborhood. I wonder how that business comes back from something this horrible. How do you open your club again after such tragedy?

What actually angers me are the politicians that have now started to come out to get some news time to speculate on the tragedy. Unless they are talking about specific actions they will take to prevent something like this, they can all go jump in Lake Eola. They just need to go away until they have something worthwhile to say. Obviously I am not including the ones only offering condolences in this group.

Miss Edgy Nation
Miss Edgy Nation

Death toll is now up to 50, and at least 53 wounded. The reason people are freaking about Islamic terrorism is because the shooter’s name was Omar Mateen.

That may not mean much in Florida, though. I live in Jacksonville, which has a huge Arab-American community, and a lot of them are Christian.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

And the motive, according to the shooter’s father was that he saw two men kissing and was angry about it. What the fuck kind of response is that to seeing something that personally offends you?

Spaceman
Spaceman

Relevant to my last comment: https://twitter.com/igorvolsky/

Tweeting how much each politician gets from the NRA and gun lobby to do nothing as they make comments on the Orlando tragedy.

Miss Edgy Nation
Miss Edgy Nation

It’s the kind of response you have when you have a gun and plenty of ammo.

I don’t know. I have friends in the area and I’m worried sick.

this again