alt-right anti-Semitism literal nazis racism

Creepy White Supremacist Tweet of the Day: Dylann Roof Edition

Ugh. Just ugh.
Ugh. Just ugh.

I‘m assuming most of you have heard about the whole ((())) thing? The short version is that white supremacists on Twitter and elsewhere have started using triple parentheses around the names of people they know (or at least think) are Jewish.

Now some people (including me) have started putting parentheses around their own names, even if they’re not Jewish, in solidarity with those who’ve been tagged.

Apparently racist mass murderer Dylann Roof — he’s the guy who shot and killed nine black churchgoers during a prayer meeting a year ago — had some similar ideas about how to mark the evil Jews so everyone would be able to spot them at a distance.

I learned that from this lovely Tweet:

Nordic Nation ‏@europhile2016 This whole ((( parenthesis ))) thing reminds me of what Dylan Roof wrote in his manifesto... #altright

Or, for a more retro look, you could always use the classic yellow star.

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

That splash image looks like how i feel :s

magnesium
magnesium

The all encompassing conspiracy they’ve uncovered can be summed up as “some Jewish journalists have written unfavourably about neo-nazis once or twice”. Truly, we are through the looking glass here, people.

pitshade
pitshade

So who does that make Gargamel?

Bina

Dear white supremacists, (((you))) (((are))) (((STOOOOOOPID))).

BoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoink
BoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoink

I always think of the parentheses things as the people it’s used on are now snuggled safely in the folds of a vagina.

pitshade
pitshade

I still think of them as Internet Hugs and am like Can’t Hug Every Jew!

Nequam
Nequam

I think we should use the triple-parentheses in lieu of asterisks for emphasis where BBCode and its like don’t work.

Sample: “I could eat a family-sized bag of Cheetos and (((shit))) out a better facsimile of a human being than Donald Trump.”

makroth
makroth

Excuse while i hijack this. I’m gonna start using ((())) on white supremacists on Twitter. I’ll start with (((Andrew Anglin))). Oh and i see David has already started using it. Gonna use it on my own name too.

Kat
Kat

This ((())) looks like an orgasm-having vagina.

Is it just me?!

Kat
Kat

OT

Minuteman movement founder convicted of molesting young girl

Color me unshocked.

Axecalibur
Axecalibur

Hi, I’m (((Axe))). I’m not Jewish, tho I have the name for it 😛
Here’s the deal, slick. These people have been thru much worse than parentheses, not that you care. How do they even… oh yeah, Jews all look like 1930s Nazi caricatures. C’mon Twitter, if this ain’t harassment, what the fuck is

@Kat

convicted

I’m a little bit shocked…

Catalpa
Catalpa

…I really don’t understand how every Jewish people being blue for a day would change anyone’s mind about, well, anything? Is the white supremacist assuming that everyone would recoil in horror at seeing how many Jews there are around?

The extent of my reaction would probably be “…those people are blue. Is… Is there some kind of event happening? Is this a sports thing?” because I would more than likely have no idea why some people magically turned blue for a day.

Nequam
Nequam

To paraphase Groucho Marx: My dad’s a Gentile. Would I turn blue from the waist down?

(It should be noted though that my mom, though she had a bat mitzvah in her youth, didn’t practice Judaism except in a very secular way during my lifetime, and considers herself atheist now.)

LindsayIrene

Jews should be blue. Irish Catholics should be purple. Scandinavian Lutherans should be forest green. Unitarians ought to be rainbow-striped.

Ichthyic
Ichthyic

Can I be aqua? always liked that color.

Robert
Robert

Not to make light of a persistent evil, but the thing about anti-Semitism that offends me (besides the basic horror of hating other humans without any good reason) is how little imagination it displays. Oh, you hate Jews, and believe in a global Jewish conspiracy, and all that crap? That shtick was old when Martin Luther was around. Get some new material, if you must be a bigot.

Nentuaby
Nentuaby

catalpa: The idea is that we’d be shocked how it’s ~~all the elites specifically~~ who turned blue. The far-right memeplex is very big on what they love to snidely call the Coincidence (their caps) that supposedly everyone particularly rich, famous, or powerful is either Jewish or has a Jewish person in their close social circle.

brian
brian

soo… the thing that really kinda boggles me, from reading that excerpt, is the part where it says black people and Jewish people spend are just all the time thinking and talking about how they are black and Jewish, respectively. it implies that’s a big part of the “problem” with them… but… demonstrably, literally, white supremacists really DO spend a huge amount of time thinking and talking about being white…

Snowberry
Snowberry

Well, that’s easy to explain. White people talk about being white all the time because it’s natural for superior people to bask in their superiority. But jews and blacks doing the same? Yeah, it’s a real problem when the inferiors try to imitate their betters. /sarc

Paradoxical Intention - Mobile
Paradoxical Intention - Mobile

So… what color would I be as a pagan, since I’m polytheistic and worship a Greek god and a Catholic saint (so far)?

Nequam | June 8, 2016 at 6:41 pm

That reminds me of a joke in Iolanthe by Gilbert and Sullivan. A main character is said to be half-fairy, and he says this about himself (paraphrasing): “From the waist up, I’m as pure as any fairy, but from the waist down, I’m as corrupt as any politician!”

Saphira
Saphira

My father-in-law is Jewish. I’m going to have to ask him if he thinks about being a Jew when he’s not telling the worst dad jokes ever. Also, he hasn’t practiced his religion in years, so would he turn fully blue or just take on a slightly bluish tint? I don’t really know if he’d actually count as “Jewish” since he’s obviously not attending those secret meetings at the local temple every Saturday or doing any networking. Do they allow lapsed Jews in on The Big, Old Jewish Plan to Take Over the World?

DS
DS

The fact that they revere Roof for what he did is the sickest part of all of this. Like they don’t go “Well, we’re doing this despite the fact that he is a mass-murdering, horrible person.” No. Instead they’re going “Hey cool, we’re doing something sort of along the same lines as our hero, Dylan Roof, who shot him some black folks a-prayin’!”

It’s…I don’t have any nice words for it. It is beyond disturbed. And I don’t mean to be ableist there. I mean literally in my opinion people who think and act that way are sociopathic because they are displaying a marked inability to empathize with the pain and grief not only of the victims but of their fellow countrymen and, indeed, of the international community at large which seems to have responded to this and other atrocities with overwhelming disgust and opprobrium, and rightly so.

Do you think that deeply ingrained racism and bigotry is a form of brain damage and/or psychological condition? Again, I don’t mean to lump people with legit psychiatric conditions in together with these jerks. I love and care for someone who has mental health issues of her own and recognize there is a wide variety of mental health disorders out there. I’m just wondering if this can be classified as one of them and, if so, what kind of therapy can we as a nation attempt to correct it?

In short, I don’t feel like the problem is getting better; rather it appears to be coming to a head, though perhaps that is preparatory to it being sternly dealt with by our system of jurisprudence (though with a hung SCOTUS that seems unlikely to happen at least until the next president is sworn in, ug).

I get in these moods where I just feel like there has got to be something we can do to make the world stop being awful to people all of the time, and I sit there thinking to myself, “Dammit, come one, you’re a smart guy. THINK of something. There has to be some way to show people how beastly they’re being to other people and how when the shoe is on the other foot it’s walking misery to bear the brunt of it.” I get frustrated that nobody seems to have a good answer to racism and hatred beyond simply shaming the person who does it and hoping that it goes away. Some of these hosers seem to get their jollies from being shamed and view it as persecution that vindicates how right and righteous they are.

So what do you do then? If you confront, you lose because they declare you to be evil for persecuting their opinions, but if you shrink back from confrontation, they declare themselves the winners. It reminds me of the section in Proverbs where it is written “Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you also be like him. Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own estimation.” Whatever your opinion of the bible, that says to me that even the collective wisdom of yore couldn’t figure out quite what to do with a fool.

Perhaps, then, the strongest force mankind has ever created is its own folly, and if that is so, perhaps in the final analysis we are all doomed anyway. Yikes. I hope that isn’t right because holy crap, what a bleak future!

Sarah
Sarah

@Brian LOL, but yeah, you don’t get that being white, unlike being black or jewish is a good thing! /s

Sarah
Sarah

@DS, leave the diagnosis wand aside, they’re just assholes.

As for how to deal with them, I like David’s mocking approach.

kupo
kupo

@DS

As someone with brain damage and mental illness, fuck you.

BoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoink
BoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoink

I think racism has roots in psychopathy. Just from from my personal experience and research with both racists and psychopaths, of which my family tree has many branches.

On the hand, I am not a psychologist nor do I research mental disorders. It would be a fascinating hypothesis if it was studied by actual professionals and not internet armchair psychiatrists.

BoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoink
BoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoink

*professionally research mental disorders, I meant to say.

epitome of incomprehensibility

I didn’t hear about that until now. It’s a stupid idea on top of a stupid old prejudice. On the bus, I was reading a history book about World War 1, and the writer was talking about anti-Jewish conspiracies of the time (people blamed them for the Russian revolution, and it’s around the time the Protocols of the Elders of Zion forgery started being circulated). While the writer was careful to say that this didn’t inevitably lead to Nazi Germany, and that other things could have happened, it was definitely part of the background.

…Anyway, let’s make it more difficult for the bracketeers! Since they’re fascists and all, maybe we can convince them to be mathematically correct with their nested parentheses, like this: {[(name of Jewish conspirator)]}. That’d at least slow ’em down.

Signed, Your Friendly Neighbourhood Grammar Non-Nazi

Steampunked
Steampunked

I’ve had a psychotic break, and it didn’t make me any more racist than I am already as a fairly privileged person. There’s some evidence that there may be forms of sociopathy that stem from a lack of chemical signalling that permits empathy (I’ve read some very sad case studies from parents desperate to get treatment for beloved children).

While I was psychotic, I began to have problems with empathy because reality was so distorted I couldn’t be certain what was a person and what was not. I knew, for example, that I was not a person. But I wasn’t necessarily anti-social. The rules still existed, but I could no longer discern what categories objects fitted into.

It has been argued that Hitler was not psychotic – by clinical forensic psychologist Glenn Walters. He showed empathy and other related concepts, but he showed them selectively. The argument would be that he was not psychotic, he was evil.

Anoia
Anoia

@DS
No. Don’t do the whole ‘it must be mental illness thing’. I’m sure other people here will tell you why not. But besides all the other good reasons to not do that, this also has NOTHING to do with mental illness. Racism and other biases exists in varying degrees in (more or less) everyone. We have biases that we’re not even aware of. There have been studies on this. I don’t have the links available atm, but if you google “Racial bias empathy study” you should get some hits.

As for the white supremasists and neo-nazis spesifically: If you want to understand how they end up there, you could read up on radicalization towards extremism in general and as it relates to white supremasists spesifically. That is often (tho not always) the process that leads people down that path.

Nequam
Nequam

Well darn– can’t find the clip of Yellow Submarine that would fit this conversation before it got accidentally derailed by DS.

brian
brian

i think everyone probably has hateful and prejudicial thoughts about people, maybe sometimes because of the color of their skin, or what kind of bits they have or don’t have between their legs, or what gods they do or don’t worship, or what they do for a living.

but i don’t really think it matters whats going on in anyone’s head. as far as i’m concerned, you can be playing out the sickest, most twisted, murder/sex fantasies imaginable in your brain all day long, but if what you actually do with your physical actions is devote your time to feeding homeless children than you’re an awesome person.

or, more succinctly, to quote Diane from “Bojack Horseman”
“I don’t think I believe in ‘deep down’. I think that all you are is just the things that you do.”

dslucia
dslucia

So, is “I don’t mean to be ableist, but…” the new “I’m not racist, but…”?

reimalebario
reimalebario

…yet they see themselves as a minority.

“If you ever forget you’re a jew, a gentile will remind you.”

(((Chiomara)))
(((Chiomara)))

Well, looks like my blood is not dirty as long as I don’t take back the identity my Grand grandfather hid and forgot not to be killed!
Gladly I am with a project to reconnect myself so I can be dirty again.
Mmmmhhh, now I am the slutty hairy false-rape-victim non-white* lesbian** radfem*** jew! Ready to take over the world from ciswhitemales. Bow.
Filthy kisses for you all.

*I look white and am perceived as white inside my country, and am definitely privileged in this sense. But in germany I had situations where people treat me as non white (?!), and I have amerindian and jew blood, among others, and am a latina. So racial purists definitely see something non white in me.

**Not really lesbian, actually bi/pan (i’d say I like non binaries but never met one), but some people perceive me as a lipstick lesbian in denial, even when they don’t know I am bi and know I have a bf.

***I self identify as Intersec, because from the background I came from it’s the only thing that makes sense, but I just learned radical may mean “I am not going to be stopped even by the government (did I understand this right, Dalli?)”, then I can be a radfem in a certain contexts.

A bit off topic, but since I touched the subject, where I came from “liberal feminist/libfem” means a wing of feminism that is veeery light, very “I am a feminist but still very cool, guys!”, very “yes!!!! We do accept men!!!”, resuming, very white, privileged and close to non efficient for anything other than self empowering. “Emma Watson” feminism, if you will (which is alright, btw, but too cute and light hearted. You wont convince world leaders to do deep changes by asking “pretty please”. Also, heforshe my ass. If even many women wont stand for each other, you can’t count on men or keep getting their heads petted). But I recently discovered that it may mean “feminist who, in a US context, would vote for the liberal party”, which is crazy! Because depending on the context, I can say I am intersec, AND lib AND rad! That’s SO interesting!

(((Chiomara)))
(((Chiomara)))

To complete the misandry (sorry, boys, you know I love you! Nothing personal! Keep being wonderful!), here goes a meme (that I find a bit too harsh, Feminism should contemplate and help some men too, but i’m posting for hilarity) for which I FINALLY found an opportunity to post!:

Translation: A felinism that pleases dogs; is not revolutionary

I love that ((())) looks like a vagina with the big inner labias spreading sideways. That’s beautiful. My name will stay like that.

sevenofmine
sevenofmine

@ DS

No. Well…it’s a psychological condition commonly known as “being human”. It’s just how our brains work. We take shortcuts. If we hear/see a thing often enough, our brains treat it as true. It’s why we have formal logic and the scientific method: because we know from long experience that we do not, in fact, perceive the world around us accurately. We’re not inherently rational creatures. So, we’ve developed systems of rules that we follow closely to circumvent those cognitive biases we know we’re prone to. We just do a complete shit job of teaching people how to use those systems.

rugbyyogi
rugbyyogi

tl;dr version: maybe there is a connection between racism and mental illness in some individuals, there are certainly people who are both mentally ill and racist, but there are people who are mentally ill and not racist and vice versa. At any rate, this isn’t a discussion which will be fruitful here.

Below is my personal experience with what I believe to be a case of connection between mental illness and racism:

My ex has an assortment of issues including perserveration and obsession – and one of the things that has been the focus of his compulsive (I believe) behaviours has been “race” differences in intelligence. He became a compulsive racist. He read widely from extremely dubious texts and websites and became increasingly unable to discern the difference between the pseudo-scientific (bad enough) and the outright manufactured ‘evidence’ – though occasionally I was able to re-direct him from the worst sources.

He was also unable to stop talking about it, so for a period of a couple of years I was subjected to regular rants on this topic – and he would become angry and abusive (though I also believe these rants were abusive in themselves) if I asked him to stop, told him it made me uncomfortable or challenged him on the racism aspect (like I said, he would occasionally be open to a challenge of particular sources on methodological grounds, but not on the core philosophy). So for example I was able to stop him harping on about how hard done by James Watson was by pointing out that Watson hadn’t been very scientific and that the ‘evidence’ he produced on how much lesser black people are was anecdotal, limited and thus subject to confirmation bias – and that he deserved excoriation for that reason alone. But dismissing Watson as simply a racist fuck would have led to more and more ranting and shouting, criticism of me and accusations. I am talking about days where every meal was dominated by ex’s lectures on these topics and where any media mention might also trigger a monologue. For my own sanity, I needed to manage this obsession in the best way I could.

So, I do believe that my ex’s rampant racism and his obsession with it is partly a product of his psychological state, but I also think that if he hadn’t been at least a bit racist to start with this probably wouldn’t have been the focus of his obsessions. But who knows? He had obsessions about other topics, too – many of them I found really annoying and uncomfortable, but the racist one was just so awful because 1) it was just so awful but 2) I felt bound to challenge it, but that wasn’t really a safe way of operating with him – particularly as my own predisposition to depression and the situational depression of living with someone like that was becoming a negative spiral where I felt increasingly voiceless. My own mental illness certainly led me to ‘tolerate’ that shit, because I didn’t see any other viable options.

(((Chiomara)))
(((Chiomara)))

. And I don’t mean to be ableist there. I mean literally in my opinion

Diagnosis of a disease is not a matter of opinion, unless you are a doctor.

People who think and act that way are sociopathic because they are displaying a marked inability to empathize with the pain and grief not only of the victims but of their fellow countrymen.

Being an asshole is not a disease. When I was a child, before puberty, i had problems truly feeling empathy, for whatever reason (I have no idea. Maybe because I may be a bit autistic, which is being investigated. It got better when I reached 13. Now I am even a bit hypersensitive, crying over small problems from complete strangers). I didnt feel the suffering of others in my skin, unless I was going to get in trouble for it. Still, as I am not an asshole and was well educated, I knew what I should or should not do, so I apologized, hugged, shared my toys, etc, and rarely ever hurt anyone, in fact, I was the class’ punching bag and everyone was baffled by how patient I was. Even though I felt nothing, I logically thought “I don’t care, but I know I SHOULD care for their wellbeing, so I will fake it till I make it”, and well, I did. I don’t know if it was a disorder, but if it was I am glad I was not diagnosed, because, guess what, being convinced that I was a monster would make me worse, not better. If I heard “you feel nothing, so you are evil, and will do evil things”, I’d probably go “really? Oh, ok, I will!”. And that’s what you are doing, you are removing their agency.
Actually, in my honest opinion, acting about something unfair just because it makes you feel bad is more selfish than acting about it even when you are uncapable of feeling anything.
So, yeah, as others said, screw you. This kind of talk is not helpful for anyone, in any case, and even IF they are sick, even if therapy makes them feel things, only theirselves can make a conscious effort at being good. You’re not helping them, us, anyone, only yourself, by thinking you are biologically uncapable of doing the same and that a couple pills can stop bigotry.

Yet you freaking are.

See?! SEE?!? That’s my whole point. It doesn’t matter that you love and care about that person. Having feelings doesn’t stop you for being a jerk, just as not having feelings doesn’t MAKE YOU a jerk. Having feelings for this person doesn’t give you a “nice guy” card.

Honestly, you have been to this site several times and you know very well this behavior is unnacceptable. Even if you don’t agree (could it be -DUN DUN DUUUUUNNNN – lack of sympathy?), you must follow the policy. Stop sticking your finger in the power outlet, we are not finding it cute.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

If we could only turn every MRA white for a day, then… oh wait.

GiJoel
GiJoel

Can someone invent a machine that turns white supremacists black?

Saphira
Saphira

Here’s a few guesses as to why people are prejudiced against any marginalized group:

— They come from a prejudiced family and have been well and truly indoctrinated into their family’s beliefs.

— They feel threatened by what’s different and Those People Over There just aren’t like them.

— They fear they are losing their privilege as marginalized groups gain rights and have trouble coping with that.

— They need a scapegoat to pin their hard times on. Ex. “Those Mexicans took our jobs.” “All poor people want is government handouts while I’m here working my tail off.”

— They don’t even realize they’re carrying around a few prejudiced views thanks to the society they’ve been raised in. They’re essentially good people who will do some soul searching when someone bothers to point out they’re being prejudiced.

No mental illness required.

occasional reader
occasional reader

> Imaginary Petal
I am not sure albinos would appreciate that…

On Topic : but, yes, maybe if white supremacists had all the problems which are coming with albinism, maybe they would stop to call themselves white. Calling yourself white just because you think it is the opposite of being black is not your best move, dear “white” supremacist…

EJ (The Other One)

To me this just means “hug a Jew.” This is a great idea, if the Jews in question are comfortable with being hugged. To all our Jewish readers and commentators: Hugs!

Neo-Nazis might use it to mean something else, but they’re Neo-Nazis so fuck them.

KafkaNoMore
KafkaNoMore

@rugbyyogi

You can be glad that he is your ex now. I couldn’t imagine a more horrible (life) than a life with someone who is an obsessive racist, ranting about evo psych and other pseudo-science all day long.

It could (maybe) only get worse if he would be a sexist on top of that.

You can be glad that you’re out of there.

rugbyyogi
rugbyyogi

Ha ha – @KafkaNoMore – definitely sexist on top of it!!! And he reads all the MRA bullshit stuff and watches their youtube videos, etc. It was awful, awful. Now I just need to get strong enough to make sure that my son sees less of him than he does. It’s not good for my son to be there 3 days of the week in that environment. But it’s definitely good for me not to be in it 24/7

Keated
Keated

I have to agree with Kat, at first I thought it was at least something to do with a vagina

LindsayIrene

Welp, after reading rugbyyogi’s story, I’ll have a little more patience when my mom* re-starts her never-ending ranting about invasive species. I really, really, really don’t want to hear about how evil amur maples and English sparrows are any more, but it could be so much worse.

*who has autism

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Nequam:

Blue Meanie: Are you… bluish? You don’t look bluish.