lying liars men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA

Men’s Rights Activism, summed up in a single comment

The anti-male oppression was THIS BIG
The anti-male oppression was THIS BIG

A rare moment of candor on the Men’s Rights subreddit:

Nuggetry 6 points 1 day ago You act like we're all handing out pamphlets on the street to get people to listen. Not all of us here are trying to "convince people" of a cause as you put it. Some of us just want a place where we can rant a bit and let off some steam because there's no where else to do it for some of us. And yes, that means exaggerating and fabricating sometimes.

Yeah, we noticed that.

H/T — r/againstmensrights

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

comment image

dslucia
dslucia

@Nequam:

Molyneux never quite seemed to get the hang of actually making games user-friendly, did he?

Anybody else remember the UI and menu system for the PC version of Fable? That thing was such a mess that they somehow managed to make it worse in Fable III and then apparently still couldn’t get it totally workable and pleasant to use even in Fable Anniversary.

I want to try the Black & White games again now, actually. I think I only ever got to the third map of the campaign when I was younger.

Tessa
Tessa

Nequam

@dslucia: Ah, Black and White. Such a great idea. Such a mess to play.

But it was fun. I was an evil vengeful malevolent god, but I trained my Sheep creature to be super nice. Never doing mean things in front of it (I would send it away). So my tower was all evil and gnarled while the sheep was all glowing and golden. It must’ve really confused the villagers.

VioletBeauregarde
VioletBeauregarde

“And yes, that means fabricating and exaggerating sometimes”

Color me shocked!

BTW, I came across this while looking for drinking games:

You’re welcome 🙂

Sinkable John
Sinkable John

My feelings went from “SWEET ! An MRA drinking game ! It’s 5am and I’ma get drunk !” to “Oh. That’s a very lame game.” in about… oh, let’s say 10 seconds.

I also don’t get how these guys somehow manage to be offensive to themselves and each other.

NiOg
NiOg

My favorite civ-like sim always and forever will be Afterlife. You managed Heaven and Hell simultaneously, and had to balance the needs of one with the other. I wish they’d remake it. So much genius.

Dalillama

@Moocow

Flat feel are annoying though. Walking around without correcting soles makes my back hurt, although it was worse when I was a kid and my back was hurting for unknown reasons.

Ruined my knees due to flat feet, myself.

Someday I hope some RTS video game will be ballsy enough to have a Hero/Unique unit decide to simply disobey you. Like, you click to tell them to go attack this unit and they’re like “NOPE! That’s going too far; I don’t like your leadership”.

Or even have that possibility for units in general. Give each unit a morale stat, with a base that varies by unit type (conscipts have a low one, etc.), and then you can spend more money per unit to increase it (representing better pay, better rations, etc.), and it will go down if they keep getting thrown into situations where they’re outnumbered, or if they’re used in an inappropriate way (e.g. if you use light infantry as shock troops, their morale goes down). Officer units (and the player) would have a leadership score representing personal charisma and the like that would improve morale under their command. If morale gets too low, the units might refuse orders, desert, or even mutiny.

@Sinkable John

Then again there’s a world of difference between evil and goddamn stupid.

Yes, and then no; in practice, evil usually ends up being suffiently counterproductive that it’s indistinguishable from stupid in the long run.

@Scildfreja

It’s really interesting how Populous set the tone for so much. If it had been a more peaceful game, would we see strategy games less focused on war and genocide?

That happens a lot. Because D&D was originally created as an adjunct to wargames, tabletop rpgs are pretty heavily biased towards a ‘kill things/people and take their stuff’ oriented play style. There are certainly other game types out there these days, but they’re almost all focused on at least the ‘kill enemies’ part of that; the ‘take their stuff’ part varies. There’s also an increasing trend in examining the motivations and backstories of the previous owners of the stuff in question, since if e.g. orcs aren’t killing machines purpose-built by a dark god (a la Tolkein) (Yes, technically not a god. I don’t care), then they’re people, and killing them and taking their stuff starts to have ethical implications, etc.

EJ (The Other One)

There’s a tabletop RPG called Power Kill, by John Tynes, in which you play RPG heroes undergoing group psychiatric therapy. Common questions include “Why did you kill all those people?”

I think it was intended to make a point, rather than to be playable. It’s hard to tell with Tynes.

Orion
Orion

@scildfreja,

Omg, Chloe Howl / Howell. I can’t wait to see what her first album will be like.

Dalillama

@Alan

Indeed. But to give an example, that refrain of “If you’re paying a lot of interest on your credit card you might want to tighten your belt a bit and pay off some of the balance instead” was easily (mis)understood as an analogy for austerity.

I know. I hear it all the time, and it makes me alternately want to cry and break things. (Especially because, even in a household economics context, it assumes that it’s actually possible to ‘tighten your belt’, something which isn’t necessarily the case. I’m not certain how things are in the UK, but here in Yankeeland we substituted easy credit for increased wages 40 years ago, and most American households can’t actually live from paycheck to paycheck anymore, hence increasing debt.

It was absorbed, whereas talk of quantitative easing wasn’t.

And that’s the other part of the problem. The right wing lies using easy to understand false analogies, while the left wing lies using complicated bullshit. The left surrendered completely on economics 50 years back, and now sells a diluted version of the same garbage economics the right peddles. Quantitative easing is shit. I want to spit on the fuckheads who push it as the solution to anything. If the government want to put money into the economy, the solution isn’t to buy up private holdings and hope something nice happens, the solution is to SPEND A BUNCH OF FUCKING MONEY ideally on useful projects, like, say, universal high-speed fiber, civic wi-fi, affordable housing, high speed rails, and a myriad of other things that would improve quality of life and the economy. Instead of buying securities off banks and hoping the banks will lend the money in a useful way, just give people business loans directly, along with technical assistance, and suddenly they have jobs and the government has more tax revenue. It’s fucking magical how it works, it is. Pardon the profanity, but this is one of my personal bugbears.

Don’t forget, most of us don’t know the difference between the national debt and the deficit so using the terminology of economics went over people’s’ heads.

I know the usual level of economic literacy is pretty dismal, but if most people don’t understand the difference between total debt and current deficit, I don’t see how they can balance their checkbooks… Is it just the terminology that’s a problem?

Communication is key in politics and it’s something that populist politicians tend to be better at (by definition I suppose)

And, as noted above, the New Left kicked economic populism to the curb, and ceded that ground entirely to the fascists.

Pixels Green

To be fair, that comment describes the large majority of all social media.

Diptych
Diptych

The Jagged Alliance series used morale and disobedience in an interesting way. Turn-based tactics, rather than real-time strategy – the player is the commander of a mercenary group hired for various quasi-humanitarian campaigns. Troops all have individual identities, backstories, skills, likes, dislikes, etc. Some are civilian professionals; some are ex-military or -private security; some just like to get paid to hurt people.

The gameplay effect was that some units would refuse to carry out orders that went against their moral code – like attacking allies or civilians – and would quit in disgust if they ever saw such things done. Others were so stubborn or bloodthirsty that they’d refuse to retreat from battle. Plus, they all had to be treated responsibly, given adequate rest, and not forced to work alongside people with dramatically differing views.

Orion
Orion

@Scild,

Chloe Howl! She brightens my day every time. I really hope she releases a full album some day.

Moocow

@Dalilama

Eek! I’ve been told that I might have knee problems when I get older :/ I wear correcting soles all the time, hopefully that does something.

@dslucia

Fantastic! I’ll definitely check it out.

Axecalibur
Axecalibur

Holy shit, am I late
@SFHC

All in favour of making this the official collective noun, say “Hell yes.”

@Scildfreja
Grand Juries are… it’s not the fault of the justice system itself so much as the people in it. I hope that makes sense. If the prosecutor wanted to, he coulda indicted a sammich. ‘If’ and ‘coulda’ being the key words

@Dalillama

Especially because, even in a household economics context, it assumes that it’s actually possible to ‘tighten your belt’, something which isn’t necessarily the case

Re:games
1)’What do you think of morality systems in games?’ ‘I think it would be a good idea.’- Gandhi, I believe
2)I made a joke in a thread a week or so ago concerning minesweeper (don’t fret, if you don’t remember). I’ve been hitting that particular substance pretty hard since. Not as good as I thought I was, not as bad either. I once got 4 4’s and a 6 right next to each other. Brutal… Anywho, carry on

Edit: minor word change, seemed a bit unintentionally condescending to Scildfreja otherwise

guy
guy

The Total War series has morale and units routing in battle as things turn against them. Total War Warhammer came out just yesterday, though not everyone in it has to deal with troops running away: the undead legions of the Vampire Counts have the morale system but rather than fleeing the magic animating them starts to falter and they crumble to dust.

Begining-Doll
Begining-Doll

Hey, long time lurker and all around terrible writer here.
I couldn’t help but notice you all like RPGs and wish for a non violent option! I know of one fun one called Golden Sky Stories. You play as spirits that protect and help townspeople!
( Please excuse the misspelling in my name it is from my art account!)

EJ (The Other One)

Wasn’t Gandhi the one who was in favour of nuclear weapons being the most commonly used tool of diplomacy?

Alan Robershaw
Alan Robershaw

@ dalillama

You make a lot of very salient points.

There’s seems to be quite a lot in common with the UK and US experiences. Over here it used to be a traditional view that the Tories were good on the economy and Labour were good with public services (this was often reflected in the voting pattern “Tories in the general election, Labour in local elections)

That changed a bit with “New Labour” and Tony Blair. He stuck in a chancellor (the guy who runs our economy) who tried to re-establish a bit of confidence on economics. So there was lots of harping on about ‘prudence’ and fiscal responsibility. There’s now an internal schism between the Blairite wing and the new Corbyn set up. Although, despite being portrayed as a hard core socialist, few of Corbyns economic policies are particularly drastic. Re-nationalise a few key infrastructure things like railways and pump a bit of cash into the economy. But it’s that traditional left wing thing of spending more time in-fighting than getting the message out there. It’s very understandable of course why Corbyn doesn’t trust the media, but by refusing to engage he just leaves the field clear for the Tories to monopolise the debate.

All fascinating stuff. Could fill reams and reams with this. But back to our initial thing about communication, that still is a big problem for the left here and progressives generally. Great at speaking to the choir and people who take an active interest in politics, less so at engaging “the man (or woman) on the Clapham omnibus”*

(* that’s like our equivalent of ‘Joe Q Public’)

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ dalillama

You make a lot of very salient points.

(* that’s like our equivalent of ‘Joe Q Public’)

pitshade
pitshade

@ katz

That sounds similar to Dwarf Fortress.

I’ve read about that but haven’t seen it. I’m guessing that they’re similar except maybe in scale? Also my impression of DF is that it involves a lot of unintentional comedy from how things interact. Majesty is pretty straightforward, though there are some humorous Easter Eggs in the sound files.

Re: Black and White

I wanted to like that, I really did.

mockingbird
mockingbird

@NickNameNick, WWTH re: venting:

For me personally, I find venting can be helpful. But only when it’s about a specific person’s specific behavior that I’m having trouble dealing with or a frustrating specific situation. It also only works if you let it go once you finish the complaining.

Spending day after day talking shit about women as a whole is not any kind of helpful and healthy venting. They’re neither letting their anger go or resolving anything.
The person or people who you vent to is an important factor as well.

Like, doing so with a therapist can actually help you by dealing with a problem and moving on (perhaps even ways to deal with it better or avoid it in the future) – but many of these MRAs, MGTOWs, etc. are all about enabling terrible behavior further. They’re toxic individuals who seek out other toxic individuals in order to become more entrenched in their toxicity.

Adding: When done with someone you can trust to provide insightful feedback (or at least ask the right questions), I’ve found that venting can be useful in helping to clarify in your own mind why something’s bothering you – you know, like when you’re angry but can’t quite put your finger on why.
If venting becomes or incorporates “talking through” a problem, it can help to define it. For me, anyway, something needs to be defined before it can be adequately addressed (whether it needs to be eliminated, transformed, or accommodated).

/not a mental health professional

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

To have played a lot of RPG, both with a lot of combat and not, there is one thing with combat-orientated who feel very good : you alway have a solution to everything in the end. And it’s dealt in a way that feel fair.

The problem with playing a non-violent group is that, very often, we feel powerless in the end, or on some specific case, too powerful. It’s a lot harder – but not impossible – to have all the trials of the adventurers be non-violent, and it’s often that they feel they can’t force the good resuts, because the universe is rigged against them. It’s realistic to me, but it’s a specific part of realism I don’t like in RPGs.

That being said, there is a lot of RPGs where combat is important and life is well considered. One notable one is about an aztec-look alike who can battle, but will never actually finish their opponent. Another, more classic, example is Legend of the Five Ring, where there is a strong honor code, backed by regional attitude toward human life ; but killing peasants is both authorized, and something that will make you an outcast.

mockingbird
mockingbird

@Dalilama – *silently nods in agreement*

In many ways, my husband is one of the most astonishingly intelligent people that I’ve ever known, so it always surprises me when one off the blank spots in his knowledge base turns up.

A good portion of a weekend morning a while back was spent explaining neoliberalism to him after I said, “I wish that we had political options other than between different shades of neoliberalism.”

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo
weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

I think it’s not so much a matter of not being able to understand the difference between debt and deficit and more a matter of not bothering to understand. They hear government spending = bad so much that they hear either word and assume it’s equally bad. They know they don’t like it. No nuance necessary.

This is also how people assume that if taxes get cut, spending must have gone down and we get a situation where people didn’t notice or care that the Bush administration went to war without bothering to pay for it. It’s how people say they want budget cuts but don’t want spending from any programs they like to be cut.

Who needs to think when you just say tax cut good spending bad?

EJ (The Other One)

@pitshade:
If you’re wondering what it’s like, I did a Dwarf Fortress game with dwarfs named after Mammotheers. It’s up on tumblr here. (Start reading from the bottom.) Regrettably it’s not finished due to weregiraffes.

*shudder*

The necks… the necks…

@mockingbird:
I’ve said before and I’ll say again, the Davos Consensus seems to be one of the most harmful things in modern democracy. Not only does it lead to every party being just flavours of neoliberal, but it also legitimises extreme political movements by making them the only genuine alternatives.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

I post this as it’s another example of people whinging about media featuring non white males. However it’s also an excuse to ask our USian friends if it’s true (as my real world USian friends claim) that Kinder Eggs are illegal in the US? (They may be pulling my leg)

guy
guy

They’re illegal, or at least some are. Choking hazard, apparently.

Eva Vavoom

That comment is cathartic. I realized real quick that it is useless to talk about ‘what is’ with people who know NOTHING can only muster a ‘what if’, usually when it comes to feminism… It does give me a lot of fear-based dystopian scenarios that I can work into my domination writing though.

kupo
kupo

@Alan
It’s true. My understanding is that it’s because of the toy inside (I think the concern is that it’s a choking hazard). Though for some reason the Japanese candy eggs with toys in then are sold at all the Asian markets, so I’m not sure what’s going on there. Maybe it’s some weird loophole?

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ guy and kupo

Thanks, and wow!

Can’t say I’ve noticed an epedemic of English kids being wiped out by them; but that’s the sort of news that Big Chocolate can probably suppress.

I might buy one this evening. All the ladies like a man who scoffs in the face of danger, right?

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Paging Imaginary Petal (and anyone else who’s interested)

The judge in the Cosby case has ruled that there enough evidence for the case to go to trial.

Skiriki
Skiriki

EJ (The Other One):

I will volunteer (my name) to defend your Dorf Fortress! 😀

leftwingfox
leftwingfox

Thanks for the game suggestions!

And I’m always willing to be dorfed if you need more male names, EJ. 😀

pitshade
pitshade

@ EJ (The Other One)

That looks… interesting. I’ll have to read it more thoroughly after work.

I can say that the scale seems a lot more personal. Majesty is closer to games like Warcraft2 or Starcraft in scope.

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

Oh my gosh EJ, I want to do a WHTM playthrough of DF now.

Sinkable John
Sinkable John

@Alan

All the ladies like a man who scoffs in the face of danger, right?

According to an experiment I ran last week, involving american lite beer, that is an urban myth with absolutely no truth to it. Also, I am full of regret. (how that stuff even did pass the border is a mystery to me)

So does that mean that there might actually be some justice at the end of this or are we looking at a mere slap on his fingers ? I’m trying to look into it but to be honest I’m not even sure what to look for or how to make any sense of it. I might be real bad at american legal stuff. Or legal stuff in general.

dlouwe
dlouwe

*ears perk up at the mention of Dwarf Fortress*

Any of you ever read the SomethingAwful succession games, like BoatMurdered or SyrupLeaf? (Given leftwingfox’s use of “dorfed” I’m going to assume at least one yes!)

numerobis
numerobis

@EJ: numerobis likes engineering, and cats for their purring.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

a man who scoffs in the face of danger

Iseewhatyoudidthere.

Just as well there’s Mort Subite, that way you can drink in the face of danger as well 🙂

Or maybe you just need a portrait of, say, Gideot or Trump or somebody for that.

Hambeast, Social Justice Legbeard
Hambeast, Social Justice Legbeard

EJ – I am a woman IRL, but will offer up my name as a man’s if needed! He could be based on my dad, which would make him the awesomest of farmers since he was born on a farm and basically ‘farmed’ our backyard for decades and could grow almost anything.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Alan:
I have friends who’ve been fined and turned back for trying to smuggle Kinder Eggs across the Canada-U.S. border. (They were originally pulled over and searched for other things, but then the Kinder Eggs were discovered, that was an easily proven thing to be used against them.)

Yes, it happens. Yes, it’s stupid. No, nobody is ever going to admit that they’ve been wasting resources dealing with this stupid thing. I suspect it’s a holdover from the rather litigious U.S. society and now nobody wants to stop it and get sued if some kid chokes after that.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ jenora

Don’t tell Donald Trump about this or you’ll be getting a wall up north too!

Dalillama

@Ohlmann

That’s at least partially because the systems for resolving combat typically get a lot more attention from the designers than the ones for resolving non-combat interactions (there’s also a matter of conflicting philosophies, one of which holds that only combat should be simulated and all noncombat interactions should be totally on the players, while the other notes that nobody expects an out-of-shape player to actually know how to fence in order to play a swashbuckling musketeer, so why should a socially awkward player be expected to become a smooth talker in order to play a schmoozing con artist?). There totally are systems with complex social interaction rules that allow you to resolve social conflicts in a way that feels roughly as ‘fair’ as the combat system, but they’re not the majority.
There’s also the question of what the PCs objectives actually are in the first place, which is going to affect how players try to solve their problems. In one long-running game I was part of, we routinely went stretches of dozens of sessions with no combat, partially because our goals included things like finding a group of street kids a long-term home, helping a struggling domestic violence shelter, etc. But even problems like ‘a sorceror has summoned a demon which is running loose through the city’ actually wound up being solved nonviolently (we convinced the demon to come over to the side of the angels, and then I pretended to be the sorceror’s patron god and told him to knock off the summonings. Later on he and I and one of his friends and a couple reformed demons and a drummer we found on craigslist formed a punk band. That was a fun game)

This is the big problem for me. It’s an ongoing frustration as a GM when you’re crafting a big, complex skill-based non-combat encounter…but it’s literally nothing but “roll a die, pass or fail” over and over.

Social encounters are even harder to write rules for. Savage Worlds tried, but their system was rudimentary and made no damn sense.

Redsilkphoenix
Redsilkphoenix

Since everyone’s talking about games again, does anyone know what happened to Spore? I recall hearing about it years ago as a greatly-anticipated game that had hit delays on its release date. So to keep people interested in the game, the company released a program that allowed people to take a single cell organism and evolve it into any creature or object they could imagine. (I saw some pics where folks created motorcycles from that single cell critter. O.o )

But I haven’t heard anything about this game in ages, good or bad. So does anyone know what happened to it? And/or if that creation program still exists as a seperate entity?

guy
guy

Spore was released quite some time ago. It was not very good, but was briefly famous for having extremely heavy copy-protection software and being extremely heavily pirated before it was even officially released.

One of the main complaints I’ve heard about Spore is that it had that lovely creature creator system but your design decisions had very little game impact, but the components used did matter so you couldn’t simply create whatever you felt like without drawbacks..

It was released overflowing with DRM. It got carpet-bombed with negative reviews and the DRM-free pirated version got distributed all over the place. I knew a guy so straightlaced he bought a legal copy and then downloaded and played the pirated version.

numerobis
numerobis

The Spore Creature Creator was a big hit.

The Spore game itself, not so much, because EA has the anti-Midas touch. A friend mentioned that he felt more comfortable downloading warez from a torrent from a Ukranian hacker than installing actual EA software. Anti-virus software agreed.

EA managed to drive the entire Maxis studio into the ground; it’s shut down after a couple more flops that were also due to EA being overbearing and not giving a shit about their presumed-loyal audience.

Handsome "These Pretzels Suck" Jack (formerly Pandapool)

I’m pretty sure Maxis is still around. Only the original studio shut down. They still work on the Sims. They put the Maxis logo into the Sims 3 near its end and the Sims 4 has it too.