lying liars men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA

Men’s Rights Activism, summed up in a single comment

The anti-male oppression was THIS BIG
The anti-male oppression was THIS BIG

A rare moment of candor on the Men’s Rights subreddit:

Nuggetry 6 points 1 day ago You act like we're all handing out pamphlets on the street to get people to listen. Not all of us here are trying to "convince people" of a cause as you put it. Some of us just want a place where we can rant a bit and let off some steam because there's no where else to do it for some of us. And yes, that means exaggerating and fabricating sometimes.

Yeah, we noticed that.

H/T — r/againstmensrights

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

A single comment? I can sum it up in a single word.

“WAAAAAAAAAAH.”

Kat
Kat

Mister Nuggetry, thanks for that nugget of wisdom.

I’ve long suspected that you MRAs fabricate “sometimes.”

And by that I mean it’s clear that you lie all the damned time. By lying about your lie, you prove your own (lying) point.

brian
brian

The most honest MRA in the world?

Ray of Rays
Ray of Rays

One would hope that having to fabricate and exaggerate during an angry venting rant would then lead to some kind of self-introspection, to questioning one’s self if the intolerable situation is accurately depicted in our thoughts. Surely if something is truly irritating or unjust enough, you wouldn’t need to lie about it in order to make it seem important.

That introspection seems to be a tragically rare occurrence.

Kat
Kat

It’s almost as if they lie to get attention. . . .

Joel
Joel

Seems to me that this fellow is on the right track, but using the wrong train. He recognizes that he’s ranting for no actual reason other than to rant, he recognizes that he’s making shit up, but he just doesn’t see why that’s not ok.

Anne
Anne

The only honest MRA in the world ?

Dr. NicolaLuna, Epic Slut
Dr. NicolaLuna, Epic Slut

MRA: “I rant about things that women haven’t actually done but would totally do because they are evil. I know they are evil because I made stuff up that they are doing, that proves it. It’s not that I hate women, it’s just that in my head they keep doing terrible things.”

Feminist: “Here are some examples of problematic behaviours that are generally gendered. Here are some solutions.”

MRA: “Not all men! You man hating feminist!”

RosieLa
RosieLa

I don’t get it. How does letting off steam help if the steam that you’re letting off is a lie? Wouldn’t it be more helpful to let off the actual steam that’s real and that exists?

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

But females are the ones who are irrational, emotional liars, who only want attention, ruins everybodys’ lives and depend on everyone to do the work for them, right!? Amiright!?

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

@RosieLa, that’s the misogyny. They’re saying it’s women’s fault for everything from them not getting hot dates to the collapse of civilization, women are at fault for everything. It’s not about solving problems, it’s about blaming women to make the mens feel superior.

I Forget What Name I Use Here
I Forget What Name I Use Here

So then by your own admission:

1) You’re not real activists.
2) You don’t have any actual cause.
3) Your problems with women are fabricated.

Well, I appreciate the honesty I guess.

Sinkable John
Sinkable John

Some of us just want a place where we can rant a bit and let off some steam

You mean, outside THE REST OF THE WHOLE FUCKING WORLD ?

Because last time I checked, that place where you idiots can rant “a bit” and “let off some steam” is… pretty much everywhere that isn’t an openly feminist space. It’s every street in every city where a woman will be catcalled or asked to smile then called a “frigid bitch” for not answering. Every bar where a woman will be asked, insistently, to have a drink with a man she’s never seen before and wants to never see again, “in exchange” for sex. Every work space where a woman will have to deal with harassment from someone she has to work with, or for. And I could go on forever.

For the last time, MRAs, yours is NOT repressed speech. Reddit isn’t “your only safe space in the world”.

On a lighter note :

You need imaginary steam to power an imaginary train of thought. Through the imaginary post-apocalyptic gynocratic Wild West.

Bina

Exaggerating and fabricating sometimes? SOMETIMES???

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

I need to vent for a moment. Leprechauns are the worst.

There, all better!

…Why didn’t that make the leprechauns go away? *ARGLERAGE*

I get annoyed when they claim the Men’s Rights subreddit is a “safe space” for men to blow off steam. No. No, it isn’t. It’s the opposite of safe. It’s not harmless venting. It’s anger, amplified. It’s rage, distilled into an addictive and potent and escalating form. They literally award each other points for posting the most outrageous tale of injustice. Over time, it has the effect of making everything seem like a potential affront to manhood, no matter how small. Anger becomes ingrained as a knee-jerk response, then threats, then violent fantasies, with women as the perpetual targets. How can it possibly be cathartic, when there is literally nothing women can do that pleases them?

It’s not a lengthy path from that mindset to someone getting injured or killed IRL as a result. At the very least, it’s a template for destroying relationships and sabotaging careers.

EJ (The Other One)

I am led to believe that the whole “blowing off steam” thing is a myth, anyway. Anger isn’t like steam that builds up unless you release it safely; it’s like a muscle that grows the more you exercise it.

These guys have built an environment where all they do all day is be angry, and it’s made them really unhappy. I feel sorry for them.

On the plus side, it’s a lovely day. I’m going to do and frolic in the park and play with balloons. What are people’s favourite balloons?

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

I find it’s gamergate in one mod. Note the comment at the end of the article.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ EJ

Hopefully one day it will be this one:

I also fancy a Jupiter explorer; but making a ballon for an atmosphere that’s mainly Hydrogen is an interesting engineering problem.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

I guess they would either use the fact hot hydrogen is less dense, or use a vacuum balloon. The first one seem simpler on surface.

Fabe
Fabe

@Ohlmann

I think what everyone who used that mod really needs is one that lets them replace all the characters with a picture of themselves and truly free them from the pain and suffering of having to look and someones who not exactly the same as them

EJ (The Other One)

That Venus balloon sounds like a fun engineering challenge. A Jupiter one, I would assume, would have to be a zeppelin rather than a balloon in order to function. (That is, it would need a rigid skin which created an arbitrary pressure inside instead of responding to environmental pressure.) That would help to get around the density issues.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ ohlmann

I’ve always been intrigued by the idea of vacuum balloons. I know that before the invention of the hot air ballon there were some ideas floated around (see what I did there!) along these lines, but they didn’t have the necessary materials.

But presumably now you could build a suitably lightweight structure. I envisage something like those geodesic collapsible spheres. And the good thing about a space mission is it would be easy to ‘fill’ it with a vacuum.

ETA @ EJ

I love Zeppelins.

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

@EJ, you’re right, “blowing off steam” is a myth. Freud brought some psychological ‘credibility’ to it in ye olden dayse of psychology, but it’s long been shown to be completely backwards. Catharsis is not a thing. I like the muscle metaphor, and it’s very true!

Favourite balloon: whatever balloon we’re using to play Keep The Balloon Off The Floor

@Ohlmann, i love Paradox Games :3 The company is such a good egg. That just verifies it. Also, I encourage anything to keep those sorts of mods out of the steam workshop; the less encouragement that white/male/anyone supremacists get, the better.

Sinkable John
Sinkable John

@Ohlmann

It’s about ethics in building imaginary white supremacist patriarchal space societies to battle the librul censor(battle)ship. Or something.

Also for the record I’d like to withdraw what I said in my last comment about Reddit not being their only “safe space” in the world. Muscle memory probably had something to do with including the word “safe” in there but as Buttercup Q. Skullpants pointed out there’s nothing safe about it.

@EJ (The Other One)

I think there recently was an article about that on WHTM.
*search* Yep, there was.
There it is : https://wehuntedthemammoth.com/2016/03/10/notes-from-a-triggerer-brutalizing-women-for-not-covering-themselves-is-a-methodology-that-works/
I like your metaphor of anger as a muscle though.
They don’t “blow off” steam, they let it build up in echo chambers.

Edit : It’s not a comparison, it’s a metaphor ! Dammit language, you have failed me again.

I think George Lakoff did a detailed analysis of the ‘hydraulic model of anger’, and how it’s become an embedded metaphor, in Metaphors We Live By. And yes, it doesn’t actually bear any resemblance to reality:

NickNameNick
NickNameNick

@EJ

Yep!

I think there was another post on this blog about how “blowing off steam” does not, in fact, relieve you of anger but reinforces it.

It’d be better to “blow off steam” by channeling all that frustration into something productive whether it’s simply cleaning your house, doing an art project, or exercise – just anything that you enjoy doing rather than making yourself more bitter.

EJ (The Other One)

Thanks for the links, Sinkable John and guest.

Trigger warning: mention of genocide.

On Stellaris:

I’ve been spending a lot of time on the Stellaris forums of late, trying to SJW up the place despite the hordes of EU4 players. It’s actually having a fairly good effect, I think. I have hopes that a strong SJW presence in the fanbase during its nascency might help shift it to be a nice game for nice people.

Those who have read the forums have probably seen my work.

What’s hilarious is that the GGers consistently do not understand that not everyone agrees with them. For example, Martin “Wiz” Anward (one of the devs) made a fedora joke at one point; an entire actually of GGers rose up to screech about how unfair he was being, not having noticed that if you go through Anward’s twitter history he’s very obviously a feminist* and they should not have been even remotely surprised.

Amongst other features, Stellaris allows one to “purge” unwanted xenominorities from conquered planets. Before the game launched there were loads of redditors who were eager to do this, gloating about how the game would be a “genocide simulator” which would let them live out their worst supremacist fantasies.

After launch, it quickly became apparent that this was a really weak strategy and that the strongest move was to get along with other species and give them equal citizenship rights if you conquer them. You should have heard the uproar. “WHY IS XENOPHOBIA BAD”, asked a hundred single-post threads, “I want to play optimally but also want to live out my genocide fantasies. Why have you prevented this? It’s literally unplayable.”

The response was usually silence, but now and then an answer filtered down: “We don’t like genocide, so we made it a weak choice. We want our game to encourage people to learn to value diversity.”

Not since Black September have I seen GGer rage like what followed. They simply couldn’t appreciate that a video game could be not aimed at them. Surely they’re gamers, and all games are aimed at them by default? More than one person has dubbed it “casual.” It’s hilarious.

It also broke sales records, so there’s that.

—–

* Although he has made ableist comments whilst trying to be funny. You are warned. Nobody’s perfect.

Fabe
Fabe

@EJ (the other one)

A perfect example of the hypocrisy of GG They talk about how developers should be free to make games how ever they want but once one does something gators don’t like they demand that it gets changed to the way they want.

Sinkable John
Sinkable John

@EJ

“I want to play optimally but also want to live out my genocide fantasies”
Okay, putting aside the cringe worth of “genocide fantasies”, that looks like a strong case of “optimal play vs roleplay”. Now I’m more into RPGs than strategy games, but if those True Gamers are worth anything, they should know that it’s a very old question that’s been answered a thousand + times. Why is a very old question that’s been answered a thousand + times suddenly put on the line again by the very people who claim to be rational etc (and thus would be the ones to answer said question in the first place, supposedly) ?

Moreover, manic genocidal roleplay should be encouraged and artificially made a viable optimal play strategy whereas every other form of roleplay should get the usual treatment ? THAT is SO fucked up. Get your shit together, boys.

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

@EJ, you are a hero for facing down the EU4 crowds. I should comment on the paradox plaza or something!

(Or, i would, if the forums there hadn’t screwed up my registration, eternally leaving me unconfirmed…)

I am playing a xenophobic, materialist, militant human empire in my playthrough (though I am not actually waging war!). I don’t do the “purging” or the like, and am trying to play it straight as a species that doesn’t like its neighbors but realizes how stupid it would be to wage the forever-war.

And I actually love how the game treats me! I get a penalty with other races with the description “Xenophobic bigots”, and that’s perfect! I really don’t know what they’re complaining about – your species literally dislikes everyone. Why would you be rewarded for that? Genocide is horrible and inefficient and wasteful, why would the game reward you for that?

I look forward to my next playthrough – probably going to do pacifistic spiritualists and pray myself to victory. Stellaris, so good!

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

… an entire actually of GGers …

All in favour of making this the official collective noun, say “Hell yes.”

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo
weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

For me personally, I find venting can be helpful. But only when it’s about a specific person’s specific behavior that I’m having trouble dealing with or a frustrating specific situation. It also only works if you let it go once you finish the complaining.

Spending day after day talking shit about women as a whole is not any kind of helpful and healthy venting. They’re neither letting their anger go or resolving anything.

Sinkable John
Sinkable John

@Scildfreja

That sounds like something that requires impressive skills in mental gymnastics to play as something you disagree with. A few months ago I tried to play Skyrim (which is soooo much more simplistic in those specific regards) as a bigoted male Nord warrior, being an ass to other races (and females) and going full Stormcloak (my usual playthroughs don’t involve the civil war at all). Well, turns out I just couldn’t. I reaaaally enjoyed bashing the shit out of anything and everything with an oversized sword (another thing that was so different from my usual playstyle) but I got bored pretty fast of my own attitude and it took the wind right out of my playthrough, which I never did complete at all.

I don’t do negative roleplay well. Although now I wanna play Stellaris even though it’s typically the kind of game I really, really suck at.

@Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Hell yes.

Lady Mondegreen
Lady Mondegreen

… an entire actually of GGers …

All in favour of making this the official collective noun, say “Hell yes.”

Hell yes.

*snorfle*

RobinG
RobinG

As many of you have said already, “blowing off steam” is definitely a myth. It only makes people more violent: http://www.psychologicalscience.org/media/myths/myth_30.cfm

These MRAs frame their angry rants as a way to blow off steam in a safe way, when in reality it is much more likely to cause real violence.

They truly believe they are the most super-logical human beings, but I have never seen worse misinterpretation and complete fabrication of science and data than you see in those threads.

pitshade
pitshade

RE: Blowing off steam

One thing thing that perhaps confuses people is that exercise or other physical exertion os an excellent way to relieve stress or other negative emotions. The (one weird) trick is that you not obsessively focus on your troubles while doing it.

RE Paradox

I’m glad that they turned out well. I’m fairly certain they are same studio that used to be part of Target AB, which made one of my favorite tabletop gaming universes, Mutant Chronicles/Warzone.

Freemage
Freemage

I went to that article about the mod being pulled, and decided to play Comment-section Bingo. I mean, I know I’m gonna find lots of appeals for frozen peaches and such, but every once in awhile you get a real gem.

Sure enough, a commenter ‘nymed “1076” actually was complaining about ‘bigotry against bigots’.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

If I understand the news articles correctly, it seems there will be a Cosby trial.

NickNameNick
NickNameNick

@W.W.T.H.:

The person or people who you vent to is an important factor as well.

Like, doing so with a therapist can actually help you by dealing with a problem and moving on (perhaps even ways to deal with it better or avoid it in the future) – but many of these MRAs, MGTOWs, etc. are all about enabling terrible behavior further. They’re toxic individuals who seek out other toxic individuals in order to become more entrenched in their toxicity.

pitshade
pitshade

Speaking of Stormcloaks, I once had a long running Oblivion character who stole everything that wasn’t nailed down, drank every bottle of alcohol she found (while still in the dungeon) and refused to save a single named Blade during the main quest, and yet in Skyrim I couldn’t bring myself to get past the Whiterun quest as a Stormcloak.

Dalillama

@Alan

Nope, still not feasible. Maybe when we can actually reliably spin longass carbon nanotubes or something (Pretty sure that’d be a lot easier in free fall though; yet another reason why putting at least some industry in orbit is a good idea, especially given the advances we’ve had in robotics and waldos these days). That’s on Earth, though, where among other things there’s only a marginal improvement in lift between H2 and vacuum. Jupiter’s atmospheric pressure at most altitudes is considerably lower than on Earth (as I understand, anyway), so you don’t need the skin to be as strong, on top of which the thermosphere is made up of hot hydrogen, so vacuum is the only kind of balloon that would work.

brian
brian

Is Stellaris as complicated and hard to learn as things like EU4 and CK2 appear to be?

I’m curious about it, but despite being totally able to enjoy pretty complex strategy games like your Civs and Endless Legends and such, those games look intimidating.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ IP

it seems there will be a Cosby trial.

Quite possibly. At this stage it’s just a preliminary hearing to see if there’s a prima facie case; but that’s a pretty low threshold, especially in that state.

Most of the relevant documents are on scribd if you want to see the evidence so far for yourself.

Nikki the Bluth Wannabe
Nikki the Bluth Wannabe

I tend to agree with weirwood-venting anger can be helpful, as long as you can catch it early and let it go afterward. Or at least that’s what holds true in my personal experience-if it doesn’t help you, find something else that does and do that instead.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ dalillama

so vacuum is the only kind of balloon that would work.

You mean Arthur C Clarke lied to me????

Moocow

So MRAs aren’t real activists, they just want to complain about imaginary women. Just like how Gamergate is about the right for developers to be immune from criticism. I mean, we already knew all that, but it’s just so lovely to hear the unintentional admission.

Also, some more ‘gems’ from that thread

Here’s an oh so clever comment to refute the concept of privilege

Is pointing out privilege even a worthwhile endeavour?

Well jeez, what a surprise that the most priviledged would question whether ‘pointing out privilege’ is a worthwhile endeavor

Does a disabled white woman have more privilege than a black lesbian? How about a Filipino gay man?

I love how the question is asked as if this is some impossible-to-figure-out puzzle even though the answer is just ‘yes’ to the first and ‘she has white and straight privilege but he has male privilege’ to the second. It’s really not that difficult as you don’t seem to think that privilege = ‘all the hardships of life’.

What can we gain by pointing out privilege instead of pointing out disadvantage?

Um, lots. Because the two are literally not the same. I have flat feet, putting me at a disadvantage for doing jobs barefoot. I’m still one of the most privileged persons to walk the earth.

Are we to be trusted to not employ it as a silencing tactic but feminists aren’t? It seems like an arbitrary and useless metric.

Yet another dude who confuses “being told he is wrong by a woman” with “being silenced by evil feminists”.

Privilege makes you focus on bringing down the ceiling instead of raising the floor.

Holy crap. What a perfect explanation of how privilege makes someone blind. A privileged person’s floor is an underprivileged person’s ceiling.

I don’t think that’s the metaphor he was going for but fuck it, it works so well! This dude is afraid of bringing down the ceiling because he is standing on top of it. He wants the floor raised (i.e. give more rights to priviledged groups), ignorant about how this will only make the ceiling higher. (i.e. make it harder for people who don’t have his privilege).

If I had artistic abilities, I’d draw some cartoon to represent this effect, it’s almost astonishing how well it demonstrates how privileged people are blind to the problems faced by underprivileged people and freak out when any attempt to break the ceiling will affect the floor upon which they stand.

Here’s a response for the request of “stop generalizing women”

Yes. Yes you can. Women in the west are the most legally privileged people to ever live.

They have more rights than men at a legal level,

Apprently, repeating a premise more than once counts as evidence amongst these incredibly ‘rational’ men.

and have all the lovely societal benefits such as less prison time, shorter sentencing,

When you consider that men commit, on average, more crime than women, his argument is the equivalent of a bully smacking a victim and then complaining how unfair it is that both don’t receive an equal punishment.

less likely to be assaulted,

Citation needed on that one, considering 20-50% of women worldwide are victims of domestic violence.

far far far less work place deaths,

Do MRAs just pick jobs with high death-rates to spite feminists? Sometimes I really wonder.

“don’t hit a woman,”

Yeah, that doesn’t actually stop men from hitting women or doing far worse.

receive custody something like 85% of the time, etc. etc. etc. It’s absolutely quantifiable by looking at laws and then comparing statistics.

He says, without looking at laws or comparing statistics.

This isn’t even getting into things like women never being viewed or labeled as sex predators, the demonization of maleness and male sexuality vs the glorification and celebration of female sexuality etc.

It’s so gross when MRAs dismiss actual sexism as ‘a female privilege’. Especially when that ‘privilege’ of getting harassed is used as justification for even worse things.

I hope MRAs continue to expose themselves as terrible people who are absurdly blind to their privilege.

EJ (The Other One)

@pitshade:
You have good taste in obscure Warhammer knockoffs! I really liked Warzone and still have some of the models somewhere. Thinking back, it was surprisingly mature compared to its alternatives.

@M:
Is it not already the collective noun for them? I didn’t think I was being original.

@Scildfreja:
Spiritualist is brokenly good. The only thing that stops it straight-up dominating is that materialist is also really good and you can’t have both.

I’m really enjoying how diverse the game is and how wide a variety of playstyles it supports.

Lady_Zombie
Lady_Zombie

Some of us just want a place where we can rant a bit and let off some steam

You mean something like…oh gee, I dunno…A SAFE SPACE?!

You know, the same thing that you shit flingers are always whinging and crying and raging about? Oh, I forgot. It’s only a problem when women, PoC, trans folk, and other minority groups have them.

Also, since when did any of them need their own space? Their spaces are everywhere. And when that’s not enough, they invade others’ spaces to tell them that they shouldn’t be allowed to have safe spaces because reasons.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ IP

^^^^^ Yeah, that’s what I’ve been looking at.

From a legal nerd point of view it’s interesting because Pennsylvania uses English style ‘committal’ proceedings rather than Grand Juries (which is what the current hearing is).

I think the prosecution will get over that hurdle. I’ve seen the statements and they do seem to establish a prima facie case. The test is “could a properly directed jury reasonably convict on the evidence as it stands?” (So, at this stage, they don’t consider any points the defence may raise and, unless there’s good reason not to do so, they assume all the evidence in any prosecution statements is true)

1 2 3 4