"ethics" #gamergate 8chan alt-right evil SJWs harassment lying liars men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny racism reactionary bullshit red pill transphobia vox day

Vox Day’s fans are making him an enemies list. But they’re not checking it twice

Another guy who had a list
Another guy who had a list

A few days ago, racist skeezeball fantasy author Vox Day noted on his blog just how nice it would be to have a handy public list of all the people he hates. Sorry, a list of “confirmed SJWs.” It would be a handy resource, he said, both for SJWs looking to hire other SJWs, as well as “for those who wish to keep their organizations free of the creatures.”

You can probably figure out which of these two reasons is the real reason for the list, and which is the utterly transparent fig leaf.

Vox helpfully suggested that anyone seeking to make such a list could start with the names of those who signed a petition condemning a scheduled speech by programmer Curtis Yarvin at the upcoming LambdaConf, on the grounds that Yarvin, also known as Mencius Moldbug, is not only a programmer but is also “a founder and advocate of an ideological movement that promotes racist bigotry,” not to mention “an apologist for slavery.”

No sooner had Vox made this suggestion than a such a list appeared, in the form of a Wiki (archived here), featuring the petition-signers and a handful of other alleged SJWs. Vox claims not to have a direct hand in what the site rather misleadingly calls The Complete List of SJWs, attributing its sudden appearance to his followers — or, as he likes to call them, the “Dread Ilk.” But this is clearly the beginnings of the enemies list of Vox’s dreams.

So how does one get on such a list? The listmakers themselves don’t seem altogether sure. At first, they declare that

[t]he SJWs listed should be on the record supporting censorship of some kind (no platforming, government censorship, or disemploying people). This is not a place for grudges.

In the wiki’s FAQ, they reiterate this point, saying they will only include those who have

publicly called for someone to be fired, disinvited, shunned, no-platformed, or otherwise punished or silenced for refusing to submit to the SJW Narrative. The particular incident is linked to your name in the list.

Immediately after this pronouncement, though, they declare that the list will also contain the names of  those who have declared themselves SJWs, as well as journalists who’ve published “articles that support the SJW Narrative” — whatever that means — “or an SJW attack campaign.”

So far they have not been following these rules very carefully. Some names appear on the list with no information given about their alleged “incidents.” Others are included, well, apparently just because Vox and his Ilk don’t like them.

The list also maliciously deadnames several trans women, attempting to justify this despicable policy by suggesting that these women are using “pseudonyms in place of their actual, legal names in an attempt to obfuscate their identities.” This is obvious nonsense.

So who makes the list?

The vast majority of the names on the list are simply people who signed the LamdaConf petition.

But there are some other, more recognizable, names. John Scalzi, a science fiction author who has long been Vox’s greatest nemesis, makes the list, naturally; the listmakers blame him for Vox’s expulsion from the  Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, though it is perhaps more accurate to say that Vox was expelled for being a huge racist dickhead.

Cartoonist and memoirist Alison Bechdel is included on the list because, 30 years ago, she drew a comic strip in which one of the characters said she only went to movies that featured at least two female characters who talk to one another, at least once, about something other than a man.

This comic strip is the origin of what’s now called the “Bechdel Test,” but Bechdel herself never publicized the “test,” the idea for which (as she freely admits) she got from a friend.

Actor, writer and geek icon Will Wheaton makes the list for Tweeting comments defending actress and Geek and Sundry founder Felicia Day, a friend of his, after a Destructoid writer, apparently drunk, made some ignorant and misogynistic remarks about her. The writer was fired, as drunken dickheads who do stupid things when they’re drunk sometimes are. “This tweet exemplifies [Wheaton’s] SJW status,” the listmakers sniff.

Writer, and former Jeopardy champion Arthur Chu is on the list because he jokingly referred to himself  as “a social justice stormtrooper” and because “he is alleged to have been responsible for the bomb threat that disrupted the #GamerGate meetup in Washington D.C. on May 1, 2015.”

That’s right” “he is alleged.” There is absolutely no evidence, or even a good reason to suspect, that he had anything whatsoever to do with the alleged bomb threat. Gamergaters essentially decided to accuse him of making the threat because they don’t like him. And that’s good enough for Vox’s listmakers!

And then there’s Carpenter Brut, a composer included on the list because he objected to his music being used without permission in a virulently anti-refugee “documentary” titled “With Open Gates: The Forced Collective Suicide of European Nations.”

This 20-minute propaganda film is essentially a collection of out-of-context video clips edited together into a melodramatic montage by an 8chan user who debuted it by posting it to the notoriously racist /pol/ board; it’s been pretty thoroughly debunked by, among others, Snopes.com (which declared it “deceptive”) and Vice (which described it as “a mishmash of comically fake and out-of-context footage, bad subtitling and Islamophobic propaganda”).

Brut objected to having his music in this piece of garbage, so now he’s on the list.

Perhaps the list should be renamed The Complete List of Really Pretty Decent People Who’ve Offended Vox Day by Being Really Pretty Decent.

LindsayIrene

I’m sure this could be used for a parody of that”I’ve Got a Little List” Gilbert & Sullivan song, but I’m way too lazy to do it.

Three Snakes
Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III
Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

Just a few weeks ago, I might have defended Batman, but after the one two punch of Zach Snyder and Ben Affleck, I’m not sure how much there is to defend.

Shaenon

So how do I get on this list? It would be an honor.

Dustinzeit
Dustinzeit

@Bina

That’s it; you are now my girlfriend. If any of you have objections to this, speak now, or forever hold your stupid bon- I mean peace.

Dustinzeit
Dustinzeit

@Tony

I am he that bravely faces the light while leftists are content to watch shadows on the wall.

I am a red-hot pimple of truth, ready to pop and spread bacteria on the adolescent face of leftism.

I am the hemorrhoid for which there is no ointment, itching and burning in the Butthole of Deceit.

I am a flea in the unshaven arm-pit of feminism, ready to lay eggs.

I am he who takes care not to fight with windmills, for fear that he may become one.

I am Dustin.

Nequam
Nequam

Beer can be a fine ingredient, though– beer-battered fish, cheddar beer bread…

Dustinzeit
Dustinzeit

@Shaenon

You must be bitten by a vampire with suitably progressive leanings; these ones will usually ask for your consent first.

Dustinzeit
Dustinzeit

@Three Snakes

I suppose that theodicy now has an answer to all of its questions…

reimalebario
reimalebario

So, how do these guys think of themselves? Social Injustice Rangers – SIRs? Or Social Injustice Paladins SIPs?

bluecat
bluecat

I don’t get this thing about “using pseudonyms” instead of your “actual legal name”. Can someone explain this?

In Britain, your “real name” is whatever you choose to be known by, afaik. You can make a declaration if you are changing it, or you can do it online, but I don’t think you have to – and it certainly used to be the case that you did not have to give your “real name” if asked, even by the police (I can remember Greenham women calling themselves “Freda People” and “Lucy Lastic” and similar noms de eviter guerre.)

In some countries it’s next to impossible to change the name you were first registered in, though. (In Italy I knew someone who had been registered with an accidental full stop between his second name and his surname, and every time he signed anything he had to include the full stop…)

So, is the US more like Italy? Or is it more like Britain but these dudes just don’t like it.

Incidentally, is Vox Day the name on the geezer’s birth certificate?

Personally, I really don’t like postmodernism. In college I suffered through a lot of analysis so detached that it was easy to forget it was about something. Hell, I seem to recall writing a paper with the thesis that no piece of media was actually about a topic.

And so much postmodern media is just meaningless fourth wall breaking and deconstruction that fails to make any kind of point, in the manner of a kid taking apart a VCR and then not having a clue what to do with the parts. Eventually it devolves into inane cynicism, the least groundbreaking of all storytelling devices.

So I’m a big fan of a return to straightforward storytelling using traditional devices. But that doesn’t need to mean an unthinking acceptance of culturally dominant ideas like toxic masculinity, nor does it mean reducing criticism to an unthinking binary of Awesome Stuff and Not-Awesome Stuff.

abars01
abars01

Two can play at this game. Let’s start our own list of manosphere douchnozzles and publish it so that people know not to hire them:

* Davis Aurini
* Marjan Siklic
* Christina Hoff Sommers
* Karen Straughan
* Daryush Valizadeh
* James C. Wiedmann
* Milo Yiannopoulos

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head…

cleverforagirl
cleverforagirl

I’m a bit middle of the road when it comes to new sincerity vs. post modernism. We SHOULD deconstruct and analyze things, hell we should probably be most critical of things we hold dear.

*but*

I think we should also feel free to be over the moon for things, things others don’t like. Sing Brittany Spears in the shower, dance to muzak, eat bacon wrapped everything, tardis on ALL THE THINGS! but it’s important to be cool with people not liking the things we like and letting them have their weird over the moon things too.

Michael Lindsay
Michael Lindsay

This is not a place for grudges.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Pseudonym
Pseudonym

@abars01 You meant to say it’s so that manosphere douchenozzles can find each other, right?

JM
JM

Heh, that fig leaf of “SJWs can use this list to hire other SJWs” reminds me of something back when I was at university.

So the Uni’s Christian Union (despite the name, not some sort of ecumenical general Christian group, but pretty much fundie evangelicals) was trying to pass a policy, or a change to the student union’s constitution, or something. They wanted student groups/societies (such as themselves) to be allowed to discriminate by excluding members who don’t support the society’s aims, or something, I forget the exact wording.
They themselves had that policy for years, to require that people sign a statement of faith in order to join, something like “I accept Jesus Christ as my lord and saviour” I guess. And eventually of course they’d been told that this goes against the student union’s equality policy.
Point being that they wanted to be able to exclude non-Christians from joining their group, of course – but in the meeting where this motion was debated and voted on (spoiler: it didn’t pass; all of the other Christian groups turned out in large numbers to vote against it), they said that this policy would also benefit other groups, such as if the LGBT students’ society wanted to create a safe space by excluding non-LGBT people.
In response to which, of course, someone from the LGBT group went up on stage and said “you have to be f***ing kidding, you don’t understand what a safe space is, we welcome straight allies to our meetings”.

tl;dr bigots are disingenuous…?

Three Snakes

@JM

tl;dr bigots are disingenuous…?

Bingo. The movie God is Dead portrayed the exact opposite of reality.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ bluecat

You are very correct. In England you can just start calling yourself what you want, and that’s your name. Some people do deed polls but that’s not actually required.

You don’t have to give any name to the police, but they can in certain circumstances hold you until they establish your ‘identity’. That’s who you actually are though, not necessarily your birth name.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Re: no platforming etc

In the UK student unions and therefore student societies are funded by the universities themselves (which may involve a degree of public funding) by means of a ‘subvention’ so there can be wider free speech/censorship issues. Also, because of this element, the general legislation on equality and not excluding anyone based on prohibited characteristics applies. That’s why the Christian Unions’ attempts to exclude based on religious affiliation would have been unlawful anyway.

The situation regarding private associations is somewhat different. The Oxford Union for example is not actually, despite the name, associated with the university. It’s a private members club so can in theory restrict membership.

No platforming is a minor hot topic over here at the moment because of the Germaine Greer thing.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

Vague reply to the comment on misspelled names.

When my Otter and I got married, we took each others’ names. She had been complaining that people always misspell her last name, but I had a hard time believing it since the correct spelling seemed so much more intuitive to me.

Well, she was right. Pretty much all my bills come with my name misspelled, and I keep having to spell my name out to people, and then still correct their spelling afterwards. My free health care card has always had my name misspelled. I could’ve had the wrong name on my photo ID if I hadn’t paid attention when they screwed it up when typing it into the computer.

Is it too much to ask that people just listen when I slowly and carefully spell my name out? It’s so frustrating! :p

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Ah, the red pill goes mainstream (well, a Grauniad article anyway)

David Gerard
David Gerard

The important thing to note about this:

* Large chunks of the functional programming world think LambdaConf is utterly on crack with all of this

* The seed signers of the petition against LambdaConf that Vox Day’s list starts from include most of the eminent names in functional programming

* and then there’s this cartoon, which is only a slight exaggeration of LambdaConf’s frankly bizarre social justice Time Cube “final statement”, in which John DeGoes attempts to derive the concept of “inclusivity” from first philosophical principles, complete with made-up jargon words and diagrams.

You’ll see on that LambdaConf final statement the comment section full of reactionaries cheering him on (approximately 0 of whom have any interest in or understanding of functional programming). Everyone else has, simply, left LambdaConf to it, not wishing to get bogged down in querulous bad-faith argument with the alt-right. It is entirely unclear whether DeGoes realises in any way at all that this is what has happened.

Status:451, who started a fundraiser based on the claim that all of this started with an SJW attack on LambdaConf – a claim which remains completely unevidenced – have repudiated Vox Day’s blacklist [archive.is copy]. Unfortunately, the commenters they whipped up into a frenzy before extracting their money are still spoiling for a fight, and appear to love Day’s gator-like strategy. I wonder if Status:451 will be disconcerted by their fan’s darker urges or if they’ll double-down. (Well, no, I don’t wonder.)

Skiriki
Skiriki

David Gerard:

Nope, nothing is too vile for Status:451 and Clarkhat. It is a NRx den, all right.

And yeah, I follow some FP people and they’ve been very vocal about how bizarre all this is, and how they don’t want to attach their name to anything that lets Moldbug in, because dude is racist and this is year 2016.

Queex
Queex

Further to ‘no-platforming’; as I understand it was originally used only to refer to the official policy of the National Union of Students to bar a (rather small) list of speakers from their affiliated Student Unions around the UK. In other words, a large organisation set a formal policy so its ‘branches’ around the country had a consistent approach with their fundamental right to choose who is allowed to speak at their venues. Something that should be entirely uncontroversial, and probably not even the first of its kind.

It always amazes me how otherwise rational people lose their grip entirely at the idea that a private organisation might not want person A to speak, and treat it as though the organisation can somehow magically prevent person A from speaking anywhere.

Josh
Josh

Honestly, the worst thing about post modernism that I’ve encountered is that a lot of people who subscribe to it seem to be utterly INCAPABLE of enjoying anything unironically.

And on deconstruction works. They’re not always good. Take Watchmen vs Marshall Law. Both are deconstructions of super heroes. But whereas Watchmen is actually an interesting, developed world with 3 dimensional characters that explores what kind of person could actually BE a super hero in real life, Marshall Law is a boring, shallow piece of crap that spend so much time yelling at the audience for liking super heroes that it forgets to actually fucking say anything.

ETA:Also, Some people just prefer to have a beard on their face. My face looks really stupid and doughy without it, so I get self conscious when I don’t have it.

banned@4chan.org
banned@4chan.org

“Deadnaming.” So there’s a term for that.

Speaking of, how do I talk to people about Chelsea Manning, when most people only know her for her Pentagon whistleblowing pre-transition?

Pietro_McM
Pietro_McM

@Dustinzeit

“Right” libertarianism is the only libertarianism; “libertarian-socialism” and its assorted Bakunin/Chomsky-flavored variants are bullshit, so far as I’m concerned.

Libertarianism can only be a broad spectrum, by definition. Each to their own.

Lots of left-libertarians out there. Kropotkin wasn’t the first to point out that mutual cooperation was enlightened self-interest. Far at the right end of the spectrum, there are the lone, self-regarding ego-maniacs, like Anders Breivik. Donald Trump/Drumpf, for an example, is obviously a bit more towards the right-end of the spectrum. Hopefully not as far as Breivik, though.

We’ll have to wait to see if he gets his hands on the ‘nuclear football’ to find out.

Where do you think you fit along that spectrum?

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

@ banned

The examples I’ve seen suggest something along the lines of “Chelsea Manning, formerly known as….” Or “Caitlyn Jenner (born Bruce Jenner).”

Michael P
Michael P

bluecat: The name on the fool’s official document’s is Theodore Beale. I make a point of not using his nom de plume because it’s just so fucking pompous.

David Gerard
David Gerard
Reply to  Michael P

ehh, I have no objection to calling him Vox Day if he wants to be called that – he uses that name everywhere, it’s the pen name he now works under, etc. Calling people what they want to be called is I think a good general default. My entire objection to him is what he says and does.

Falconer
Falconer

@Lkeke35:

As for public websites: I work in a library. The public is always welcome there as long as they act right. Act a damn fool and you will get kicked out of any public place. Libraries, grocery stores, the Capitol building… no matter how much you pay in taxes, it’s not your space and you aren’t allowed to disrupt it.

What’s hard to get about that?

I figure it’s like my daughter, who had dessert after dinner last night and then wanted a piece of chocolate. No matter how much we explained that she just had chocolate, she kept asking, and when we finally just flat-out said no, she started screaming and told us that we’re mean.

These guys think that they get to do anything, and if anyone else stands up and says, no, this is my space and you can’t use it for your tantrums, they get all up in arms.

Falconer
Falconer

@Dalillama

@ WWTH

I thought all these dudes were libertarians? They can’t even do that right. Property rights – and that would include intellectual property – is a pretty essential part of libertarianism

There’s actually a bit of a schism in right – libertarian circles on that topic. A considerable proportion of them oppose the of intellectual property entirely.

I saw someone on Tumblr actually type the words “knowledge cannot exist in a context of censorship.”

kupo
kupo

@David Gerard

There are people of all genders, colors, ages, sizes, sexual-orientations, gender-orientations, religions, and every other demographic who may be too emotionally threatened to voluntarily occupy the same building as someone with known offensive views.
The fear cuts across every demographic. We recognize this fact, we empathize deeply, but we also recognize that any choice will alienate some people from across all demographics, and we have decided to draw our line at professional ethics.

I just…wow. “We can’t do something that would make women, people of color, LGBTQIA, etc. feel safer because it might upset the cishet white men!”

Falconer
Falconer

@FrickleFrackle

And it also pisses me off how so many fans of MGS hate MGS2, whereas I actually quite liked its plot twists.

I must be hard of thinking, or lack the requisite attention span, because I’ve played MGS 1, 2, and 3, and stalled out on 4, and I have no idea what’s going on with anything beginning as early as “which one of you creche mates has the recessive genes.”

FrickleFrackle
FrickleFrackle

I’m an Xbox peasant so have only played MGS 2,3, V, and MGR. I focus on the cool stuff but I don’t mind the smart stuff. One of my favorite scenes is when Snake gets his 1911 Custom in MGS3, but holy shit the scenes at the end of 2 are so damn effective IMO. I think it gets a bit long in the tooth, but it still does a good job of critiquing the player IMO.

My thoughts on postmodernism (or at least how it can go awry) can be summed up with this review of 12 Oz. Mouse. It’s only about 10 minutes long, and I think it’s overall a good analysis.

mockingbird
mockingbird

I could also add “beer sucks” to that line…

Rotgut sucks.
Good beer is frikkin’ lovely.

Sincerely,
Someone who’d love to enjoy fine wine but gets an insta-headache from most reds. No – in my case, it’s not caused by histamines, tyramines, or sulfites and neither B6 nor allergy meds do a thing.
And it’s not down to amount – I’ve literally gotten a crushing headache half a restaurant serving into a Cabernet.

Freemage
Freemage

Friendly Neighborhood Dragon Arthur
April 13, 2016 at 10:55 pm

I’d probably be on the list for my heavy mockery of hyper-masculinity, all of which can be summed up as:

Beards Suck, Bacon Sucks, and Batman Sucks.

Because if something so much as a razor or a vegetable can utterly destroy your fragile masculinity, then are you really a man in the first place? Likewise, if you’re so damned scared about people who are not white and male being treated like human beings, were you even a decent human being in the first place?

Also, I just think superheroes like Batman are ridiculous… And well, kinda lame.

If your beard is your identity, then yes, it sucks. I have mine because it keeps life easier and my wife likes it.

Batman is cool when people remember that there’s more to him than Frank fssking Miller. He sucks when he’s reduced to that one interpretation.

Bacon is tasty, but if you’re using it to taunt someone for being a vegetarian, please feel free to go step on a Lego.

Also, please–no ablist slurs (lame, in this case), per the comments policy, thanks.

Finally, more broadly: Yes, most superheros are pretty silly. They’re empowerment wish-fulfillment escapist fantasy. You have to be willing to buy into the general ideas of the setting in order to accept them–chief among them being the idea that vigilantism can be a good thing, and that the best way to use a superpower is to stop street crime.

(Note that, intriguingly enough, Marvel’s cinematic universe largely eschews this idea–the superheroes in the movies mostly operate against ‘cosmic threats’ or act in self-defense against attackers with a grudge, rather than acting as a police force replacement. This makes the premise of the upcoming Civil War movies considerably different than the comics, where there are literally scores of people running around in masks and spandex busting gangbangers.)

Tabby Lavalamp
Tabby Lavalamp

I’m sure the “good” men and women at One Million Moms who spend a LOT of time trying to get people disemployed and no platformed are going to make this SJW list. Right, Vox?

Professor Snugglesworth
Professor Snugglesworth

Ew ew ew to that Guardian article. It even starts off okay before taking its hard right turn into asshole-ville. But it pointedly dismisses horrible redpill shit as “blowing off steam”, uncritically parrots that Morpheus fellow’s salespitch (Hey, he’s in an LTR, so that must mean he’s an okay guy!), and uses the whole Ghomeshi cluster-badword to throw as much ambiguity and obfuscation as possible into a situation that has precisely nothing to do with him in the first place. He bounces around from one tired cliche (All men in their twenties talk about breasts in private settings because they’re fixated on it!) to another (Having a daughter turns those boob-obsessed twenty-somethings into feminist thirty-somethings!) and wraps up the turd sandwich by admonishing everyone for not being more supportive and understanding of those poor sex-obsessed boys. Because they can’t be held responsible for their self-actualization.

Also, that comment about his friend thinking about his wife’s cleavage while she’s firing him was a little… specific.

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

@Prof Snug,

I didn’t get the same thing out of that article! I got a lot of the obfustification and irritating boys-will-be-boys, for sure, but the takeaway I got was that these men need to broaden their horizons and stop acting like sulking teenagers. Get some perspective and treat people like human beings. That’s also how I interpreted the authors’ perspective on the Morpheus dood.

I tend to read most things with an optimistic lens, though, so that may just be me.

chosen_name
chosen_name

Arthur Chu is a heck of a lot more than just somebody who called himself an SJST. He has used his Jeopardy fame to bring attention to lots of injustices that the anti-SJW crowd believes to be non-existent.

I believe the following post was one of his first pieces of SJW writing (and the first thing I read by him). No doubt this brought him to the attention of the anti-SJWs.

Check it out. Good stuff.

Pietro_McM
Pietro_McM

@Professor Snugglesworth wrote:

Wouldn’t go as far as to say, ‘asshole-ville,’ but I did find it a bit sus. Just a bit too easy to brush off the whole, sometimes truly ‘vile’, red pill scene as, ‘just blowing off steam.’ Plus the whole, ‘Ghomeshi was a feminist, so maybe red-pillers aren’t really so bad‘ defence, is an irrelevant, relitavisering, straw-man argument and half.

Just a bit too pat and yet another example of, The Grauniad, turning to to some pretty dubious click-baitery, these days.

Psyker01
Psyker01

Apologies to GIlbert and Sullivian “As someday an victim must be found, I got an little list, an little list of people of who won’t be missed. These perpetual SJWs supporters. all the cucks, Anita Seekrsit and Briana Wu, these people won’t be missed, oh they won’t be missed”

maghavan
maghavan

I am working on a groundbreaking paper laying out how Beards destroyed the Roman Empire and are a threat to higher civilization itself.

But I don’t judge … so if you and your wife are ok with you being a mindless trend-following zombie & enemy of all that is good an decent , then by all means continue …..

ikanreed
ikanreed

I’m just sad I’ve not made the list.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ lkeke

I work in a library.

In all fairness if there’s one group famous for silencing people it’s librarians. 😉

skybison
skybison

@Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

I want to defend Batman and Superman FROM Zack Snyder.

On the topic of Vox Day, here’s a little gem of his post a FSTDT a few days ago

“If the definition of rape is stretched so far to include women who have not given consent, then I am absolutely a serial rapist. So, too, is every man I know. And if that makes me a rapist, I shall endeavor to somehow survive with that upon my conscience.”

Moocow

@FrickleFrackle

People were initially disliking MGS2 because they wanted to play as Snake, and they got Raiden (to be fair, he wasn’t supposed to be constantly whiny, his american VA didn’t really get the memo on that one). But that was the entire point, as MGS2 being a post-modern deconstruction of the genre. The bait and switch was entirely deliberate, but went way over people’s heads. Nowadays, MGS2 has been more or less vindicated as people now ‘get it’.

Personally I’ve always loved it, “Raiden, turn the game console off right now” is one of my favorite moments in video games. I had just played that game for about 3 hours straight when I got to that part. Then ‘colonel’ says “honestly though, you’ve played the game for a long time, don’t you have anything better to do with your time?” and I was like “shit, he’s got a point”, turned off my PS2 and just sat there contemplating what just happened.

Although MGS3 is definitely my favorite from the series, MGS2 had a profound influence on me for showing just how powerful a video game story could be and the lengths to which it can mess with and surprise the player.

Freemage
Freemage

maghavan
April 14, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Trend-following? I’ve had a beard since… Hrm. Senior year of high school, so… 1987. Those zombies are just trying to be as cool as me.