Uncategorized

Memeday: Straw Feminists Confused About Everything Edition

Uh, MRA meme-makers, I don't think that's how equality works.
Uh, MRA meme-makers, I don’t think that’s how equality works.

Men’s Rights Activists learned a long time ago that the easiest way to win an argument with someone is by playing the old straw man game, ignoring what they actually believe and instead pretending that they believe something much less defensible — and much easier to rebut.

Trouble is, when you’re actually debating one of these people directly, they may point out to you that they don’t actually believe what you claim they believe. And this makes it oh so much harder to win the argument.

Luckily, MRAs have found a workaround for this little difficulty. Instead of debating real feminists who can argue back, they debate imaginary ones who say only what the MRAs allow them to say.

One quick visit to a stock photo repository and hey, presto! You’ve got yourself the following memes depicting Straw Feminists Confused About Everything.

dum4bodies

Er, what? Feminists have the power to ban hot babes from going out in public? Do these hot babes have to make themselves less hot before they can get a walking around permit from the Department of Jealous Feminists Who Won’t Let You Go Out if You’re Too Hot?

dum2shark

I think I may have posted this one before, but I still don’t quite understand it. Hey MRA dudes, you’re supposed to confuse the imaginary women in your memes, not the rest of us!

dum3rocks

This dumb little cartoon, drawn in 2003 by a dude hoping to sell a few t-shirts, has provided MRAs with thirteen years’ worth of cheap outrage so far. Congrats, MRA meme-maker, for squeezing a little bit more outrage from its desiccated corpse.

dumfin

I ain’t saying she’s a golddigger but, yes, you are saying that. Again. That song is more than a decade old. Move on, dudes.

weirwoodtreehugger

bleed our public assistance,

Didn’t you just say you live in one of those moocher states in the south that has to take assistance from my state?

Please stop being a little sack of crap. None of us here are taking anything from you, you little fucknut.

Phew! Back to my old meanie pants scary feminist self! I knew the niceness would pass quickly.

Martian” values amongst our impressionable children.

comment image

Gosh, @WWTH, i barely recognized you! What are you drinking? 😮 It sounds fantastically mellow.

Some cabernet-sauvignon and a beer. Lighter than I generally prefer, a St Pauli Girl. Maybe I need a good stout to get back to troll fighting form.

FrickleFrackle
FrickleFrackle

Dustin says “militaristic” like its a good trait. And FDR was around in what, the 40s? Well, maybe some of that shit flew then but not now. I just mentioned Trump because he came to my mind first.

Dustinzeit
Dustinzeit

@Fabe

You know I am, but what are you?

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

I really like Black Velvets. Or Black and Tan – I can’t recall the proper name. Half stout and half apple cider – Strongbow and Guiness. It’s stout with a bit of the bitterness cut, and a lovely apple aftertaste.

It’s probably appropriate that the guiness and strongbow don’t really mix in the glass. Political 😮

weirwoodtreehugger

Those are good. I also like the Irish car bomb (Guinness with a shot of whiskey and Bailey’s dropped in) but that’s more of a weekend kind of drink.

@Katz

Funny, coming from a run-of-the-mill leftoid who pulls their ideas straight from the assembly line.

My ideas are artisanally handcrafted in small batches, I’ll have you know. God, it’s like you know nothing about leftoid ideas. *combs mustache, rides away on unicycle*

weirwoodtreehugger

Didn’t FDR use the Alien and Sedition Act to send a bunch of Japanese people to internment camps *and* prevent Japanese people from coming over during the war? Was he a fascist?

“Well, he’s playing to a far-right and bigoted audience…”

Didn’t FDR have to promise the Dixie-crats that blacks and other undesirables would be unable to profit from the New Deal in order to get their (Dixie-crats, KKK, etc.) support? FDR = Far Right?

I’ve got no defense of the internment camps. That was one of the more shameful parts of American history, although I’m sure it’s heartwarming for you to read about.

However, the New Deal thing was an unfortunate and necessary compromise. The country was in an emergency due to the depression and he had to work with the congress he had. Presidents aren’t monarchs who can just wave their scepter and get their agenda through.

Say, did it ever occur to you that black people being left out of the New Deal is a big reason that income inequality between blacks and whites is still so huge? New Deal programs lifted a lot of white Americans from lower to middle class and their grandchildren and great grandchildren are still reaping the benefits.

Once again, you’re own goaling. You’ve just admitted that white privilege exists! The SJWs were right!

masque d'étoiles
masque d'étoiles

@Dustin, blaming ethnic minorities/people of color for the American crime rate makes me question whether you’re aware of the vibrant ethnic diversity of other developed, democratic nations. Having significant visible minorities, or significant populations that don’t speak the majority language or share the same ethnic heritage, does not make the US stand out in contrast to other affluent nations with a high freedom index, particularly Canada and the countries of western Europe. Nor does it account for differences between US crime rates (particularly violent crime) and theirs.

However, not having such diversity of population, while enjoying economic power and a high standard of living, is one factor that makes outliers such as Japan and South Korea so distinctive.

Gipsz Jakab
Gipsz Jakab

Is it just me, or are Dustin’s latest posts heading into self-parody territory?

@Fabe:

I’d also recommend Steven Universe, with a few notes/caveats:

First, if you do decide to watch it, try to avoid reading up on the details of the show, because it’s extremely easy to get spoiled on major plot twists. Hell, I’d argue that Ruby’s mere existence is already a spoiler on its own.

Second, like Tessa said, be warned that the first half or so of season one can be a bit of a slog to get through. It’s heavy on filler episodes, Steven’s at his most obnoxious at that point, and the animation can be rather hit-or-miss. These all start improving halfway through season one: the story picks up pace, Steven gets character development, and the animation becomes more consistent and fluid.

If you’re interested, there’s a recommended alternate viewing order floating around that cuts out a lot of the early filler, and shuffles some less plot-critical, but still interesting episodes around past the first major reveal to improve pacing. If you think it might improve your enjoyment of the show, here’s the alternate viewing order:

Cheeseburger Backpack
Tiger Millionaire
(Island Adventure)
(Keep Beach City Weird!)
Fusion Cuisine
Watermelon Steven
Lion 3: Straight to Video

And everything after that can be watched in the normal order. Also, I put some episodes in parentheses that are also filler-y and can be safely skipped in my opinion if you’d rather focus on the main story. Anyway, enjoy!

A. Noyd
A. Noyd

Dustinzeit says:

You’ll poke your eye out.

Now, now, honey. Not everyone wields a sword like you wield your wits.

A. Noyd
A. Noyd

Scildfreja says

On the progressive side, we focus on empathy and compassion, this helps us identify our commonalities, despite the differences we have. The right does not have this.

The instinct is there, but they run everything they would apply empathy and compassion towards through a filter that weeds out the “undeserving.” Which completely defeats the purpose.

Tessa
Tessa

Gipsz Jakab:
Bah, I’m a purist. Best to watch in order all the way through. Even “filler” can be important. And I take exception with you calling Steven obnoxious ever. Why, if we lived in Dustin’s post apocalyptic fantasies, I would be forced to challenge you to fisticuffs!

Gipsz Jakab
Gipsz Jakab

@Tessa:

To be fair, I neglected to elaborate on this in my previous post, but I’m not saying “don’t watch the filler episodes, ever”, only that they can be safely put off until a later time, by which the viewer is unlikely to be turned off by their flaws. While I like SU, I do think it has a bit of a problem with being slow to get going and find its footing.

As for Steven… to each their own, I suppose. I like him now that he’s matured considerably, but I found him a bit annoying early on and it took some time for him to grow on me.

Fabe
Fabe

You know I am, but what are you?

What am I? I guess for now just some guy who’s enjoying watching a troll completely fall apart.

Plaatsvervangende Schaamte

Aww, Dusty, after all that, you proved yourself to be just another generic shitposter. You painted by numbers so predictably you might as well have been working out of a kindergartner’s activity book.

Step 1) Argue on bad faith on the current topic – boy did you ever, until you were quickly and thoroughly outclassed even with your antagonistic flourish, so it was time for

Step 2) Pivot to your own preferred topic – you may have been on your home court, but you still got schooled so, so easily, so we moved to

Step 3) Try to end the discussion by brute force – In your case, you tried violating the comment policy so you could win by declaring censorship, but the crew here wasn’t ready to give up on their new favorite chew toy yet, so you had to go nuclear with

Step 4) Post nonsense until everyone gives up in exasperation.

My guess? You’re a disciple of Milo Youwannapullonthis, just another monochromatic stain on the internet.

Peace be with you, because you’ll never find it in yourself.

FrickleFrackle
FrickleFrackle

I’m still sad because he never called us cuck.

EJ (The Other One)

He might actually be one of the Milo Yiannopouli for all we know.

(Is it Milo Yiannopouli or Miloes Yiannopoulos?)

Plaatsvervangende Schaamte

As the root is Greek, you would actually pluralize it Milo Yiannopoulodes.

And yep, I could definitely see him being one of the (how many is it, 44?) (unpaid) interns for that gloriously self-unaware buffoon. I can’t imagine he keeps the reins tight on them.

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

Yiannoupoliiiii
Yiannoupolaaaaa
Yiannoupoliiiii
Yiannoupola-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha

Yiannoupoliiiii
Yiannoupolaaaaa
Yiannoupolaa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha

Dalillama

@Scildfreja

I’ve never heard of that recipe for a half and half before; usually it’s Guinness (or other stout) with a pale ale of some kind.

masque d'étoiles
masque d'étoiles

@Scildfreja et al:

I propose “Milos” for the plural.

But whatever the proper grammatical form, I believe it is safe to say that all the Milos/Yiannopouloses/des/ii/a/ae possess an ineffable Yiannopoulocity. Which sounds like a game, perhaps of the Sim*/Civilization sort, so I think we’ve come full circle here.

Axecalibur
Axecalibur

But is the sum of all Yiannopulodes equal to -1/12?
PS: Saw this again yesterday for like the 10th time. Still blows my mind

Dustinzeit
Dustinzeit

@A. Noyd

Shall I follow your example and wield my wits like a piece of toilet paper?

@Dutchy

Not a fan of Milo, mostly because I just never really got on with the whole Gamer Gate thing; I’m not really a “gamer,” unless you consider playing old games on emulators to be that (Never owned an Xbox product).

The people who keep complaining about vidya games needing to be treated like art are really just little dickfarts who want to feel like they’re doing something important when they play “Generic Shoot’em Up #1789: Steely-Eyed McStoneface and His Arsenal of Bullshit Launchers vs. Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars.” MOM, I’M GETTING CULTURED IN HERE. SHAHDAHP.

That way, instead of needing to woo the ladies with their talk of how they totally understood “Infinite Jest” or how well they can play a concerto, they can just talk about all their accomplishments on their stupid little Xbox games. They don’t even care about criticism beyond base analyses of game mechanics and the like.

Dustinzeit
Dustinzeit

@FrickleFrackle

Okay, you’re a c_ck. There, I said it. Does the word do something for you that you’re not grown up enough to understand?

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Black and Tan

Be very wary of using the phrase “black and tan” if you’re in an actual Irish pub or any pub on the Kilburn High Road in London. The phrase has certain political connotations.

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

I will keep this in mind, Alan! I just call it alcohol, for the most part. I am not a clever pony.

Do try it though, it’s delicious :9 Have heard it done with pale ale and even champagne. It was apparently created to comemmorate the funeral of King George? something like that.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ scildfreja

I tend to only drink Guinness after I’ve given blood. He, my mum, like most women at the time was advised to drink Guinness by her doctor when she was pregnant.

A friend once got me a Guinness and Port, but that just seemed to be two otherwise nice drinks ruined.

And you’re the cleverest (and nicest) pony I know!

Lea
Lea

I know a black and blue is Guiness and Blue Moon.

cleverforagirl
cleverforagirl

I think we can make a pretty good argument that video games are a form of storytelling.

On a more personal note, Dusti, I’ve met people who read the right books and form the right opinions and hate the right movies so they can seem witty at parties. They are never as clever as they think they are. The whole act is super transparent and will get you written off as a bore. (Since you didn’t mention which concerto or instrument, I’m guessing this is more academic than practical for you. If I can get a noise out of an instrument I can pick out ode to joy on it. Not an accomplishment as it’s a stupidly simple tune, just sharing a musical idiosyncrasy of mine.)

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

I have to admit: I’ve never in my life been accused of being insufficiently white. I’m tempted to think that I must be doing something right, but the reality is that my privilege doesn’t actually go away due to any behavior of mine, so it would be disingenuous for me to claim solidarity of any kind with non-white people.

Kind of a lame insult, but one of my privileges is that I don’t really have to care about that kind of insult.

FrickleFrackle
FrickleFrackle

So Dustin has a cuckold fetish. Hey site regulars, can we kinkshame this tedious troll?

Dustinzeit
Dustinzeit

@Policy of Madness

Indicator of spinsterhood (pic of cat): -1

White guilt: -3

Supports ironically-named ACLU: -1

Talks about “privilege” : -2

Uppity: -2

1/10 would not bang.

A. Noyd
A. Noyd

Dustinzeit says:

Shall I follow your example and wield my wits like a piece of toilet paper?

You mean by being useful, practical, and adept at cleaning up smears of shit left by people showing their asses? Certainly! It would be quite the change for you.

GenJones
GenJones

Black and Tan – I can’t recall the proper name. Half stout and half apple cider – Strongbow and Guinness. It’s stout with a bit of the bitterness cut, and a lovely apple aftertaste.

We call them “Snakebites” here in the southwest at least. Another personal favorite of mine is a Guinness and Kiltlifter

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ genjones

In Yorkshire snakebite was cider and lager. It had such a bad reputation that I was once asked to leave a pub just for ordering one (lots of pubs refused to sell it).

Snakebite with a dash of black current was a “purple nasty”. That was the Goth drink of choice back in the 80s!

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Here’s an article explaining why it’s never a good idea to mention ‘black & tan’ around Irish people.

WeirwoodTreeHugger
WeirwoodTreeHugger

Did Dustin really think “would not bang” was going to bother anyone? He really has run out of anything to say.

So sad. He couldn’t even keep it up for a week.

Mish
Mish

@WWTH – I know, right? And cat-owner = spinster 😀
I’m quite sure that PoM is utterly devastated…

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

Does anybody in the world other than Roosh-ites and Ricky from Trailer Park Boys still say “bang”?

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

@Alan, Thank you! Eesh, that’s a good reason to not use the term.

(And i don’t care whether a bar thinks that cider and guinness is tacky, i like it and can make it myself anyways! :|)

@WWTH, Mish, IP (et al)

I think Dustin has just decided that he wants to get banned, but doesn’t want to be so offensive that a ban is obviously warranted. That way he can go back to his den-of-ill-repute that he came from and cry about his free speeches being violated. So he’s just being a bit obnoxious.

The channers and those like them are just so goddamn tedious. It’s all empty, smug superiority, for the stupidest adolescent reasons. Can we please get over the idea that feeling feelings about things is healthy, humanity? I don’t even mean getting upset or emotional – I mean just plain old acknowledging-that-we-have-emotions.

Ugh, humans.

comment image

WeirwoodTreeHugger
WeirwoodTreeHugger

Scildfreja,

I think you may be right. I propose we don’t request a ban, but we just start ignoring him until he starts saying something worth engaging.

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

WWTH,

Are…. are you suggesting that we make him dance for us? :3

Fabe
Fabe

1/10 would not bang.

I’m sure PoM is very happy to hear that you have no sexual interest in them.

Dalillama

@Alan Robertshaw
There was also one time that Ben & Jerry’s released Black and Tan ice cream for St. Patrick’s, with a similar response.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ dallillama

Wow! What did they do for Martin Luther King Day? James Earl Ray flavour?

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

1/10 would not bang.

I don’t recall offering to bang you.

eta:

@WWTH – I know, right? And cat-owner = spinster 😀

Not to mention that spinster = somehow a bad thing. It’s one of those “insults” that usually doesn’t hit the mark, and when it does it’s not remotely hurtful. Like “cuck” in a way, and like cuck it’s gendered.

kupo
kupo

I’m not sure what you mean. Feeling feelings is healthy. Demanding others agree with your feelings is what these sealing do.

ETA:

No, that’s never okay in my book.

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

A. Noyd | April 14, 2016 at 3:38 am
Dustinzeit says:

Shall I follow your example and wield my wits like a piece of toilet paper?

WeirwoodTreeHugger
WeirwoodTreeHugger

It’s just silly, because feminists tend not to believe that a woman’s worth is tied into whether she’s married with kids. Spinster is just not an effective insult on a blog like this. It’s probably effective if you’re trashing feminists to other non feminists, but there’s no point to using it on us here. The trolls keep on trying it though.

mockingbird
mockingbird

@FrickleFrackle, @kupo – Yeah, this comments section is anti kink shaming. I mean, we’ll call out people who’re being giant hypocrites re: kinks, but the rule seems* to be that we’re down with whatever as long as everyone involved able to fully give enthusiastic, legal consent.

* I say “seems” not in judgement (“This SEEMS to be the way it is…”), but rather to mean that, though I haven’t seen anything explicit or written, that’s been my observation and general feeling.