Uncategorized

Memeday: Straw Feminists Confused About Everything Edition

Uh, MRA meme-makers, I don't think that's how equality works.
Uh, MRA meme-makers, I don’t think that’s how equality works.

Men’s Rights Activists learned a long time ago that the easiest way to win an argument with someone is by playing the old straw man game, ignoring what they actually believe and instead pretending that they believe something much less defensible — and much easier to rebut.

Trouble is, when you’re actually debating one of these people directly, they may point out to you that they don’t actually believe what you claim they believe. And this makes it oh so much harder to win the argument.

Luckily, MRAs have found a workaround for this little difficulty. Instead of debating real feminists who can argue back, they debate imaginary ones who say only what the MRAs allow them to say.

One quick visit to a stock photo repository and hey, presto! You’ve got yourself the following memes depicting Straw Feminists Confused About Everything.

dum4bodies

Er, what? Feminists have the power to ban hot babes from going out in public? Do these hot babes have to make themselves less hot before they can get a walking around permit from the Department of Jealous Feminists Who Won’t Let You Go Out if You’re Too Hot?

dum2shark

I think I may have posted this one before, but I still don’t quite understand it. Hey MRA dudes, you’re supposed to confuse the imaginary women in your memes, not the rest of us!

dum3rocks

This dumb little cartoon, drawn in 2003 by a dude hoping to sell a few t-shirts, has provided MRAs with thirteen years’ worth of cheap outrage so far. Congrats, MRA meme-maker, for squeezing a little bit more outrage from its desiccated corpse.

dumfin

I ain’t saying she’s a golddigger but, yes, you are saying that. Again. That song is more than a decade old. Move on, dudes.

Scildfreja

I see that Dustin isn’t interested in self-reflection or self-improvement. I suppose I am not too surprised, I guess. It’s hard, and it hurts a lot!

That is at least the only reason I can think of for why he’d stop responding to me.

Oh, also … just 22? Dustin, you haven’t barely lived yet! Don’t hold your own opinions so highly, you’re just setting yourself up to fail. Learning how to self-correct is one of those skills that everyone needs, and no one gets taught. Lowering your opinion of your own opinion is the first step.

Fabe

Is any one else starting to mentally read Scildfreja’s posts in Fluttershy’s voice?

brooked
brooked

Details, as in ‘global warming’ is anthropic and will lead to the polar ice-caps deltic, higher sea-levels, the spread of diseases, more natural disasters, mass extinction, you know what I’m talking about. You don’t know what people will do for power; I’m content to suggest that this whole thing is either a manufactured crisis that the government is using to justify expanding its powers, or it’s possible that scientists are using to snag more grant money – hell, it’s probably both! Scientists do these things all the day, remember when scientists worked for Hitler?

I’ll deal with the rest later.

Oh, you don’t need to do more since you handily debunked climate change with these two very broad and completely unsubstantiated conspiracy theories, plus a Nazi scientists chaser.

I can’t wait to use “scientists worked for Hitler, so scientists can’t be believed” in all future debates involving science, that’s some bullet proof logic.

This one does not have the mettle of a real troll. Pretends to be old, then we’re like “dude, you’re a kid” and he admits he’s 22. Uses dogwhistles, then we’re like “dude, you’re talking about black people” and he admits he would like to use the n-word.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Yay!

@Katz

Where did I pretend to be old? The first few comments I posted here contained greentexting and chanspeak; how many old people do that?

@Scildfreja

I saw that long message on the other page. I just want you to know that I farted midways through reading it.

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

Fabe | April 12, 2016 at 7:40 pm

You mean you just started doing that?

Lea
Lea

Oh Dustin,
No one cares. Poor chew toy. You have no idea that you’re being batted around for shits and giggles.

weirwoodtreehugger

Do be fair to Dustin, I think he’s right. It was Jason who claimed to be a grizzled divorced vet. I don’t think Dustin made that claim.

I did ask Dustin what war he’s been in. Since he was (I think) going about women expecting men to go to war for them. Surprise, surprise. He didn’t answer.

I’ll still ask him another question.

Dustin, are you employed full time? And for how long? You were complaining about having to subsidize health care for other people. Now that you’ve confirmed your youth; I’m wondering just how many tax dollars you’ve put into the system.

I’m far from wealthy, but as a mid thirtysomething, I’m guessing I’ve paid more into the system than you. I wouldn’t be surprised if part of my paycheck is subsidizing college grants and loans and for you, actually.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

@Lea

Oh, I think he does know it. He just thinks that means he’s “winning,” because like any neglected child he’s so desperate for attention that even negative attention is better than nothing.

Not that Dustin is necessarily a neglected child. I don’t know anything about his background. It’s just that chan culture, for some reason, teaches its members that behaving like a little kid acting out from loneliness is fun and positive. Don’t ask me to explain why. I don’t really get the reasoning there. Maybe there’s some kind of psychological payoff for certain folks when others pity them? Not sure.

weirwoodtreehugger

I still haven’t seen MLP. Well, I saw the old ones as a kid and I owned many pony toys as a child. So did my brother. He was a brony before it was cool.

You people are starting to convince me I need to watch it though. Is it one Netflix, Amazon Prime or the free version of Hulu? Or someplace else I can easily watch online?

@Dustin,

I hope that one day you can learn to stop hating yourself. You’ll find that to be the source of a lot of your problems. When you do realize it, there are lots of places to help you. This is actually one of them.

@Fabe, Alan, PI, etc

You guys are too nice 🙂

comment image

@weirwoodtreehugger

:O

If you would like a suggestion, then, well, starting at the first episode is a good start. The first two episodes are a pilot together, and sort of set the scene of what the characters are about and the sort of world they live in. It’s somewhat contrived, obviously, but that is part of the charm. I will try to find you a link if you would like. I’m sure it’s on Netflix as well.

It is okay if you don’t like it – it’s not for everyone! If you don’t like the pilot, but still want to give it another try, pick something from the first season at random. I think those are the best.

The ponies were the only bright spot I had in a very dark part of my life, so they’ll always have a special place in my heart. As strange as that might sound!

DepressedCNS
DepressedCNS

I know I’m late to the party but DAYUM Scildfreja that was some seriously patient stats teaching! Respect!

If your response to an argument as well articulated as Scildfreja’s is “I don’t get it, you’re wrong!” I would seriously evaluate your opinions. Here’s an idea- if you are completely ignorant about something to the point where you can’t even understand the basics, LEARN ABOUT IT BEFORE FORMING AN IRRATIONAL DOGMATIC OPINION ABOUT IT. First inform yourself, then opine. Let information inform your opinion. please.

Scildfreja

Aw, thank you, @DepressedCNS! I am training myself to be more patient. It’s very difficult. I should thank @Dustin, too, for being, er, well, an excellent test of patience?

I hope that your CNS becomes less depressed soon! At least the dopamine part, at a minimum.

@WWTH, I used to watch on youtube, and that’s all been scrubbed of episodes :s You can rent them off of the yootoobs from this playlist if you like:

But I’m sure that you can get that on the hulus or the netflix as well, and probably for free. Happy watching 🙂

weirwoodtreehugger

Google tells me MLP is on Netflix. I’ll check it out.

@wwth

I have been employed for several years. I was working part-time in a small grocery store because of school, but because I can’t find a job in my field, I’m now working full-time in said store with a bunch of people who barely speak English (at least those Spanish classes are paying off).

If you live up north by any chance, do yourself a favor and quit putting so much of your money into the feds; you’re just subsidizing the bottom-feeders down here when you do it. The south may not rise again, but it might get off its ass for a change.

@PoM

You’re just angry because you’re not as white as me.

@Scildfreja

What makes you think you can deduce so many things about my character just from reading my posts here?

DepressedCNS
DepressedCNS

Thanks Scildfreja. Though truth to be told, when your CNS is as excitable as mine sometimes a little depressing can be a good thing!

FrickleFrackle

I love it when Dustin and his ilk all say “oh yeah well when I am king you’ll be the first against the wall” like really buddy not everyone on the left is a treehugging pacifist. It’s just that most of us see war as often unneeded, expensive, and ultimately harmful. As for gun control, people aren’t arguing “no one should have a gun at all”, just “hey maybe we should make sure assholes don’t get to run around with M16s”, and putting licenses on gun ownership is easier than screening every possible asshole. I myself like guns but detest real-world violence (reading a post about how to punch someone in self-defense made me FREAK THE FUCK OUT for like 2 days straight).

Also, someone mentioned owning a longsword a bit upthread. I myself dabble in HEMA, but I have yet to purchase my own sword/buckler/gambeson/etc. Planning to get a Pentti though, better than a Rawlings because of the heavier weight. Maybe one day I can get good and own a nice high end sword, like something made by Albion .

Scildfreja

I had mine custom made for me by a smith in Quebec :3 it’s just a waster but it’s fantastic.

How could I have made that mistake? They’re so distinctive.

FrickleFrackle

A lil OT but about my gun stances, I basically think that a utopia isn’t a world without guns, it’s a world where everyone has a gun/can have a gun, but no-one shoots one another because we’re too civilized and empathetic. My grandpa calls this “being civilized”, and oh man I could write a bunch about him.

As for war, what if it was just a big wargame, like a sort of airsoft or paintball match but there’s explosions, and when you die you just get sent back to the respawn point?

“Dammit, Frank! Don’t you die on me!” “Tell my wife…I got 300 points for Team Green ERDL in the semifinal round…I’ll be seeing you…back in the respawning lounge after the match is over…”

Fabe

Google tells me MLP is on Netflix. I’ll check it out.

If you’re a Star Trek:The next generation fan you’re probably going to love the villain Discord.

Tessa
Tessa

Fabe

Oooh, if that’s what it takes, I’m totally going to start adding gifs of Ruby to all my posts, then people will start reading my posts inCharlyne Yi’s voice, which would be amaaazing!

hmm I may have to start to make my posts angrier!

What show is that Tessa? I don’t recognize it

Tessa
Tessa

Fabe:
It’s Steven Universe!
Oops forgot!

Fabe

Ah,Ok. I’ve only seen a very few episodes of that.

GenJones
GenJones

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!!!

@FrickleFrackle

You’ll poke your eye out.

FrickleFrackle

^Heh, well I’d rather not go on the warpath. It’s just funny how some people are honestly convinced that anyone to the left of Trump would just sit there and accept getting beaten up, or that everyone on the left is a well-to-do white California kid who sits around smoking pot and thinks America is EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVUL because capitalism, maaaaaaan.

kupo
kupo

@Dustin

Because you’re extremely transparent, kid.

@Katz

Funny, coming from a run-of-the-mill leftoid who pulls their ideas straight from the assembly line.

@kupo

Me? Transparent? Please. You can probably see what you had for lunch whenever you look in the mirror.

Tessa
Tessa

Fabe:
You should watch it aaaalll! It’s amaaazing. And adorable.

Pandapool -- The Species that Endangers YOU (aka Jackie; currently using they/their, he/his pronouns)

You’re just angry because you’re not as white as me.

comment image

@FrickleFrackle

A brainless lemming that sits around, taking bong hits in-between getting up to turn over his Bob Marley records could only be an improvement on the intellectual and militaristic capacities of your ordinary leftist. You all probably couldn’t defend a head of lettuce from a drunk rabbit.

Fabe:
You should watch it aaaalll! It’s amaaazing. And adorable.

I should the two epidodes I remeber seeing, the one where Steven and his Dad where trying to find his moms old super cannon so they could take out a giant eye ball death star thing and the one where Steven was trying to make the prefect pancakes were alright.

LEFTOIDS

THE LEFTOIDS FROM PLANET MAR. X

How long until we’re accused of being cuckolds?

Dustin should just give up, he’s down to “I know you are what am I?” retorts

FrickleFrackle

I’ll poke my eye out doing what? Going to war? No thanks. Firing guns? Well, I have already, and I quite enjoy it! Lesse, I’ve fired:

A Glock 21, a Remington 870 Wingmaster 20 Gauge Shotgun, and a few nondescript .22 Long Rifle single-shot bolt-action rifles. I also have a few replicas, namely of a SIG-Sauer P230 and an HK USP. I don’t know if I plan to own any guns because they’re dangerous and expensive, but I certainly plan on firing them again in the future.

Tessa
Tessa

Fabe:

Those are super super early! I’m glad I didn’t post anything really spoilery! Lot of people have trouble getting into the earlier super slice of life stuff (but I really like those, too). it gets more serious and deeper as it progresses.

Dustin should just give up, he’s down to “I know you are what am I?” retorts

I stopped paying attention to him when he started daydreaming about a post-apocalyptic world where we all get our comeuppance.

@FrickleFrackle

I’m not a fan of Trump myself, but why do you people always ramble on about how far right he is when there are plainly people (like Cruz, for instance) who are probably more extreme than him?

And besides, a lot of the things that people call Trump a fascist over aren’t all that extreme compared to what we’ve had in the past in this country. What about Trump makes him ‘far right?’

“Well, he’s threatening to deport illegal immigrants…”

You mean like Eisenhower, with his Operation W_tback? Was he fascist?

“Well, he wants to keep people from entering the country…”

Didn’t FDR use the Alien and Sedition Act to send a bunch of Japanese people to internment camps *and* prevent Japanese people from coming over during the war? Was he a fascist?

“Well, he’s playing to a far-right and bigoted audience…”

Didn’t FDR have to promise the Dixie-crats that blacks and other undesirables would be unable to profit from the New Deal in order to get their (Dixie-crats, KKK, etc.) support? FDR = Far Right?

weirwoodtreehugger

Okay, it sounds like you’re probably a low wage employee. Since you said you’re in the south, it’s probably fair to guess that you’re in a right to work state and your grocery store job is not unionized. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not denigrating your work at all. I’ve never worked in a grocery store, but I’ve worked plenty of retail. I’ve also got a job that I don’t need the college degree that I do have. So, I know how it goes. I just mention that you’re a low wage employee because you were complaining earlier about subsidizing other’s healthcare. Here’s the thing. Given your current position, you wouldn’t be subsidizing others all that much. You would actually stand to benefit from socialized medicine. You would have better coverage than you have now, and other, wealthier people would be paying more into it than you would.

So, you’re against something that would help you. Why?

I think this John Steinbeck quote really applies to you.

“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”

It’s kind of sad. You should stand in solidarity with those Spanish speaking co-workers you seem to resent so much. Stand together with them for unions and better wages and universal single payer healthcare. But you just won’t do it. You’re upset that despite being in the demographic group our culture says is superior, you’re forced to work on the same level as immigrants with brown skin who speak another language; a group you’ve always been taught is your lesser. But they’re not. They’re not the enemy. The wealthy people that are using race, sex, religion, and orientation to divide us, they’re the enemy. And they’re laughing at you for falling for their divide and conquer tactics. Don’t fall for it! Be better than that!

Yes. I do live up north. Very north. I’m in Minneapolis. It’s not the bluest state, but it’s pretty blue. I sometimes hear about how taxes are too high and that’s so terrible. But I disagree. Despite working in a job that only requires basic computer literacy, I’m making okay wages. That’s because the Twin Cities has the lowest unemployment of any metro area in the country. So much for taxes being a job killer! Our schools are in general pretty good. There are lots of parks and lakes. No matter where you live, you’re likely in walking distance of one. The transit system could use a few improvements, but it’s better than a lot of places. We consistently score in the top on quality of life indices.

You talk about the south being “bottom feeders” and it’s true that you have more issues with poverty there. It’s not because people are lazy there I don’t think. It’s because you have right wing state governments. Those cause a lot of poverty and hardship and those of us in the bluer states who have more sensible and liberal governments must help out. I’ll bet if your state was run more like mine, or better yet, more like Sweden, you’d have a lot less poverty, drug problems, teen pregnancy, and other bad things.

Reread your post and you’ll see you’re actually making an argument against your own views. You’ve own goaled, I’m afraid.

@PoM

You’re just angry because you’re not as white as me.

Oof. There you go again. You’re lucky that I am pleasantly buzzed right now. Usually I would tear you a new one, but I’m feeling charitable, so I’ll let my nice and calm post stand. I’m trying on the Scildfreja/EJ method of being gentle but patronizing. How’d I do? They’re probably better at this than I am. Don’t worry, I’ll probably go back to mockery tomorrow. Or maybe even in the next hour. Who can say?

kupo
kupo

@Fabe
Next he’ll be rubber and I’ll be glue.

@Dustin,

You’re not particularly transparent, you’re not shallow. You do say a lot of things that I’ve heard an awful lot of, which is well documented in this website. But that doesn’t make you easy to read.

You are none of these things, but you are human. And, while I know that the conservatives and libertarians and MRAs and whatnot love to talk about how “SJWs” are all “special snowflakes”, in reality I’ve found that it’s the opposite – that conservatives and the right tend to think of themselves as specially unique – as the warlords, uniquely empowered to rule; as philosopher kings with powers of rationality beyond everyone else. On the progressive side, we focus on empathy and compassion, this helps us identify our commonalities, despite the differences we have. The right does not have this.

You’re human, and humans have certain inescapable basics of how they work. This is based on biology.

Humans have a “fight-or-flight” reaction which translates into social aggression and tribalism. This is based on activation of limbic system structures by way of adrenaline and other related neurotransmitters.

Humans have limited impulse control, as dictated by the reflex time and development of the anterior cingulate gyrus and related structures.

And, in the specific case you’re talking about, Dustin; humans have poorly differentiated memory recall – recall which relies on emotional markers and cues.

Hating someone without knowing them has to involve a certain background level of hate. This can express as depression, as anxiety, as self-loathing – this is all self-hate. It can be hard to identify – it took me years to find mine – but it’s there.

You can’t feel impulsive hate towards strangers without also feeling some level of impulsive hate for yourself. Brains don’t work that way. It’s a simple matter of the chemical diffusion of neurotransmitters.

(Note: I am not a researcher of neurobiology, I am a researcher of artificial intelligence algorithms. I study neurobio for information and understanding.)

Do yourself a favor when you have the time – doesn’t have to involve conversation on this forum at all. Just for you.

Pick an hour mid-morning or mid-afternoon where you don’t have any responsibilities or chores set for you. Take a shower, avoid caffeine, put on some music that you find relaxing, and walk through your mental catalogue of Things You Believe In.

For each thing, tell yourself – I am wrong about this thing. Because statistically, you almost certainly are. Tell yourself that you’re wrong, and think about how you might make yourself more right.

You can generally measure the rightness of someones’ opinions by how often they thoughtfully adjust them.

Good luck!

@FrickleFrackle

You fucking Leftoids are always coming to earth to steal our jobs, bleed our public assistance, and spread your “Martian” values amongst our impressionable children.

Scildfreja

Gosh, @WWTH, i barely recognized you! What are you drinking? 😮 It sounds fantastically mellow.

I’ve worked my share of crappy jobs, too. Retail for too long. Wading through muck in the forest, chopping saplings and planting trees. Juggling a phone (ugh, what a terrible experience that ended up being). I’ve heard that Minneapolis is really nice, too, and I’m glad to hear that you’ve gotten yourself a decent job, if not fantastic.

Dustin, you really should look up Sweden’s/Norway’s/Denmark’s GDP and standard of living. The Nordic model is the envy of the world in so many ways – not perfect, but really good!

FrickleFrackle

Well maybe that’s true Dustin, but are we cuckolds?

@Kupo

I’m a rubber, concealing a clue
When a man fucks you, I do too.

@FrickleFrackle

I would hope not; if that were the case, I’d have all the more reason to join you, given my raging cuckold fetish.