Uncategorized

Memeday: Straw Feminists Confused About Everything Edition

Uh, MRA meme-makers, I don't think that's how equality works.
Uh, MRA meme-makers, I don’t think that’s how equality works.

Men’s Rights Activists learned a long time ago that the easiest way to win an argument with someone is by playing the old straw man game, ignoring what they actually believe and instead pretending that they believe something much less defensible — and much easier to rebut.

Trouble is, when you’re actually debating one of these people directly, they may point out to you that they don’t actually believe what you claim they believe. And this makes it oh so much harder to win the argument.

Luckily, MRAs have found a workaround for this little difficulty. Instead of debating real feminists who can argue back, they debate imaginary ones who say only what the MRAs allow them to say.

One quick visit to a stock photo repository and hey, presto! You’ve got yourself the following memes depicting Straw Feminists Confused About Everything.

dum4bodies

Er, what? Feminists have the power to ban hot babes from going out in public? Do these hot babes have to make themselves less hot before they can get a walking around permit from the Department of Jealous Feminists Who Won’t Let You Go Out if You’re Too Hot?

dum2shark

I think I may have posted this one before, but I still don’t quite understand it. Hey MRA dudes, you’re supposed to confuse the imaginary women in your memes, not the rest of us!

dum3rocks

This dumb little cartoon, drawn in 2003 by a dude hoping to sell a few t-shirts, has provided MRAs with thirteen years’ worth of cheap outrage so far. Congrats, MRA meme-maker, for squeezing a little bit more outrage from its desiccated corpse.

dumfin

I ain’t saying she’s a golddigger but, yes, you are saying that. Again. That song is more than a decade old. Move on, dudes.

magnesium
magnesium

These are all legible, so right from the start they’re better than around 90% of the memes MRAs usually make. The first two are straw men, but at least coherent. Then things go down hill fast with an MRA who I guess thinks men are such dangerous sub-humans that women are better off with actual sharks?

Scaly Llama
Scaly Llama

I left my marriage and gave up the financial security I had within it because I didn’t find the love and support I needed. Financial security is nice, but as a feminist, I value my integrity and self-worth more than being able to afford to eat meat every day.

It was hard, I won’t deny it, but worth it for what I learned about myself in the process. I’m now totally independent and, although I have quite a low wage and multiple debts to service, I can make ends meet. Some days I eat bread rolls with vegemite for lunch and dinner, but I do eat.

So, yeah, this real life feminist couldn’t give two hoots about getting her financial security from a man!

(Sorry for the unexpectedly personal turn this comment took)

iknklast
iknklast

Financial security? When my ex walked out, he tried to demand alimony because I was making quite a bit more than he was (thanks, college degree!) Unfortunately for him, he didn’t bother to check the laws in the state where we lived – you have to stick with a relationship for 10 years before you can get alimony. (I’m sure this is to protect men from golddiggers, not women from selfish jerks). So he settled for keeping 90% of our property by simply not forking over when he sold the stuff.

He also walked out while I was in the hospital for an extended illness, so he managed to keep most of what we owned, anyway. I ended up in a very bad spot financially.

Good thing I married him for love, right? Since I got no financial security. Wait, I didn’t get love, either.

WeirwoodTreeHugger
WeirwoodTreeHugger

The shark one is the worst attempt at a gotcha ever. I’m not going to go live in the ocean because I’m a human. Humans are land mammals and did not evolve to live in the ocean. Simple to refute that one.

LindsayIrene

We’re going to have to make sure we build our underwater feminist bubble cities far away from those built by the “going Galt” crowd. We don’t want a bunch of objectivists just dropping in and interrupting our misandering.

FrickleFrackle
FrickleFrackle

OOOOH YOU SHOULD LIVE WITH LITERAL SHARKS HAHA TAKE THAT I’m so smart

What

kale
kale

back in the day when I was more indulgent with trolls, cant tell you how many times I had a “conversation” like this:

“Why do you believe X?!?”

“I dont. Never said that. have stated strong opposition to that. No idea where you got that. I believe Y. ”

“So you say you believe Y, but how can you really believe Y when you believe X!”

“I do not believe X.”

“Why do you believe X?!”

Alan Robertshaw

I like the ‘Boys are stupid’ one (a friend has the actual shirt). I think it’s really cute. It’s just such a harmless way of expressing women’s (often justifiable) exasperation with us; and it’s not like women actually do throw rocks at us.

kale
kale

@Alan yea rlly isnt the stereotype supposed to be that boys throw rocks at stupid girls & isnt that part of the joke?

FrickleFrackle
FrickleFrackle

^^And yet these pricks say we can’t take jokes.

Bina

Why do we get mad when men want “equality”? Because theirs involves the right to hit us with impunity. Which, BTW, is not actually the case for women — we get charged with assault just the same as men. That law is already gender-neutral. Move the fuck ON, idiots.

Cynickal
Cynickal

One in six women are sexually assaulted in their life time. So that means that one in five women are attacked by sharks?
Is there like a Sharknado Alley I’m unaware of?

Poor misunderstood sharks

comment image:large

@ kale

I dunno. To me it’s a bit like the “Feminist Killjoy” one. It’s funny because it isn’t true, but it plays with the stereotyping.

kale
kale

@Bina part of the point of feminism is that men were and still are already hitting women with impunity.

Alan Robertshaw

Speaking of sharks, this is the opening paragraph of a genuine story in our local paper. I think the only appropriate response is “Er…”

RESPECTED wildlife experts have said supposed evidence of a great white shark lurking in the sea off Cornwall is just a “scare story” – adding that it is a different man-eating shark altogether.

Read more: http://www.westbriton.co.uk/Shark-bite-Cornwall-Great-White/story-19671850-detail/story.html#ixzz45FXYzVig
Follow us: @cornishguardian on Twitter | cornishguardian on Facebook

Wallace Runnymede
Wallace Runnymede

This is some weird shit! It’s almost as though these MRA/MGTOW/PUA losers had some kind of, y’know, partisan vested interest in not letting feminism get fairly represented…

Viscaria
Viscaria

I was in junior high when that awful “boys are stupid” shirt was being sold, and I hated it then, and I hate it now, oh my god, let it die, just let the terrible cartoon die, why is this still a thing,

comment image

Silent Spring
Silent Spring

In regard to the last meme, I’ve never understood why most MRAs seem to think we’re currently living in 1950’s America. To use myself as a counter-example of this extremely outdated stereotype, I work full time as an RN, and I’m completely financially independent. I own a comfortable and well-furnished house with a decent-sized yard in a safe neighborhood and a relatively new car in good condition. Solely on what I earn as a nurse, I can buy groceries and put gas in my car, pay all my bills, taxes, etc. each month and save up “rainy day money” for emergencies and maybe going back to school to advance my degree. No government assistance (beyond standardized public services available to all genders).

So, despite working in one of the most archetypically feminine career fields, I have absolutely no purely economic incentive to get married or co-habit with a man. At my work place, I’m surrounded by other women who earn as much if not more than me. I’ve also met CNAs and other women who earn significantly less than I do yet who support not just themselves but several children on their incomes alone. (It’s definitely no easy but it’s not nearly as impossible as people think it is.) I know not all women are in the same position I’m currently in, but I find it absolutely baffling how many MRA/PUA theories about female psychology hinge on any given women being completely unable to support herself or her children.

Viscaria
Viscaria

Sorry to double post, should have mentioned this in my last comment.

Gotta love that their “must ban hot ladies so dudes will want to bone me!” meme features a young, thin white woman, ie the group that is massively overrepresented among women in the media. Is that the only kind of woman you brosefs can imagine, even when you’re thinking of women you would not bang? Are all non-young, non-thin, and non-white women literally invisible to you??

maghavan
maghavan

@kale

Why do you believe that penises are antennae that receive man-controlling radio signals from aliens?

Why?

The Thousand Cock Stare
The Thousand Cock Stare

Given a choice between living with a shark or an MRA, I’d take the shark. I think more people would object to me putting an MRA in the fishtank in my living room.

littleknown
littleknown

Shark attacks are less frequent than rape.

Therefor [sic] women should live with Sharks. In the ocean.

Lewis Black – If It Weren’t For My Hoo-erse

“…and then someone says the dumbest thing you’ve ever heard, and it goes…in your EAR.”

ScarlettAthena
ScarlettAthena

I guess that ban-all-better-looking-women meme is about outcry at unrealistic images of women in the media that promote eating disorders combined with the “beautiful at any size” movement and calls to stop body-shaming.

Which is to say, it misses the point of the meme: that feminists are not looking to feel good about their own bodies exclusively by banning anything, but rather they are looking to build societal awareness of the messages that say women can only be loved if they fit some narrow band of looks on the attracto-meter.

But really, isn’t this a fact among reactionaries that everything is a zero-sum game? We only contain so much acceptance in us, and to extend that acceptance in one direction would mean to remove another direction.

That and some primal fear that, if allowed to leave the predetermined box of attractiveness, women will literally bring down all of human civilization merely by existing as fat or with a different color hair and/or skin color, with tattoos and/or piercings, not in a short skirt…. or wait, simply as existing probably.

WeirwoodTreeHugger
WeirwoodTreeHugger

Since MRAs love strawman arguments so much, maybe we can counter with strawman arguments of our own. We can ask them why they think men are like sharks. Then, because we’ve learned that they think of themselves as sharks, we can throw buckets of chum at them.

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

@littleknown
I love Lewis Black. His comedy hurts him. He sees the fact that what he does is twist the awful into the tolerable. There is an attitude in there that I identify with very much.

Wetherby
Wetherby

We tell dumb blonde jokes about our dog all the time.

He’s male.

Dr. NicolaLuna, Epic Slut
Dr. NicolaLuna, Epic Slut

So much straw. Nobody strike a match!

Are any UK based mamotheers going to the protest at number 10 tomorrow? Or the big one next weekend?

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Has it ever been revealed here why so many of these “meme” makers all plaster that huge-ass AVFM logo on all their … erm … creations? The dumb blonde one and the emotional intelligence one have different names on their logos, so two different people made them, but both had the brilliant idea to make the logo fucking enormous so that it’s the first and most glaring thing you see. Other memes show the logo as literally the biggest thing on the image.

Is there some kind of “meme-making instruction book” out there on AVFM that advises this? Does AVFM require you to do this as a term of use of their logo thing? Some other explanation?

Shark attacks are less frequent than rape

I thought all rape reports were lies. Are all reported shark attacks even bigger, badder lies, with the sharks actually taking the alleged “victim” out for coffee and buying them fancy jewelry, so that shark attacks can be fairly said to occur less often than never?

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

@Policy of Madness

Outside of basic individual experience at making them this is the sort of thing you need.

This is neat too, as well as the general search on the term meme.

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

Viscaria | April 8, 2016 at 11:42 am
Sorry to double post, should have mentioned this in my last comment.

Even in their straw feminist arguments, we’re only doing [a thing] for their attention and to somehow trick the poor men into sleeping with us.

Because, in their distorted reality, the only reason that women do anything at all is “(cis) men and their boners”.

“Women are fighting for advertisers to see that showing starving women as models and women who are average as ‘plus-sized’ is damaging to feminine-identifying people, and can cause eating disorders in people who are struggling to fit that narrow view of ‘beautiful’.”

“Must be because they want to force dudes to think fat chicks are sexy! Fat chicks aren’t sexy! They’re gross and make my boner wilt! Why do feminazis want to force me to find fat women sexy?!”

maxh
maxh

I’ll admit I’m not great at faces, but in the “Feminist Mind” meme, does that look kinda like Shane to anyone else?

contrapangloss
contrapangloss

Alan, that shark article.

“We’re not saying it’s not a giant maneating shark, we’re just saying it’s not that type of giant maneating shark. It’s this more likely to be maneating species, actually!”

Nice. That is not how you reassure and protect people and protect sharks.

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

A bit more on memes from the first paper I linked,

A meme is a replicator, a cultural unit operating under Darwinian evolutionary principles analogous to a gene, but a distinct replicator in its own right (Dawkins, 1976; Goodenough and Dawkins, 1994). A meme in layman terms is a concept or idea, embodied by a word, a phrase, a riff, image, or gesture. A meme “exists” in the world of ideas and replicates by imitation. Memes are fluffy, non-delineated concepts rendering them somewhat untouchable by cognitive neuroscience albeit that they share considerable functional overlap with a seminal discovery in neuroscience. Over a decade ago mirror neurons, encoding the intention of “others,” were discovered (Gallese et al., 1996; Rizzolatti et al., 1996). It was quickly proposed that these neurons, located in regions highly involved in imitation, were the neural substrates upon which language could have evolved (Rizzolatti and Arbib, 1998).

Most of the “memes” that are posted here are what I think of as “modern iconography”, text plus pictures that convey cultural information. Some of them are even animated icononography.
comment image

@ contrapangloss

Yeah, I feel really sorry for sharks. Don’t get me wrong; if I encountered one whilst I was swimming I’d be racing for the shore throwing small children behind me; but I completely understand why Peter Benchley wishes he’d never written “Jaws”.

Don’t even get me started on the shark fin soup industry. 🙁

dust bunny
dust bunny

@ Alan

That quote from the shark nerds made me very happy. They’re so absorbed into a version of reality where the only things that matter are sharks, and (accurate!) facts about them, and differences between them, that they’ve completely lost all perspective on how most humans work most of the time.

It’s endearing. I wish I was that enthusiastic about something.

eta: ^__________^

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

Hi everyone! :waves: It’s been a long time so I thought I’d pop in!

Any hoo,
Like Bina said I don’t trust guys who complain about “we want equality! What about us!?” Because it’s always boils down to “I get to hit women/girls right!? Women/girls should die more!” Etc. They don’t care about men and boys they just want women and girls to suffer and the thing is we are already suffering and we are already dying by the hands of misognist (and other bigots) pricks like them.

The funny thing about that “boys are stupid throw rocks at them” tshirt was created by a misognist (not a misandrist) who has been known to steal art.

And also when are MRAs gonna just change their movement to Anti feminist/misogynist movement? Because they aren’t doing anything for guys, heck they said themselves they don’t really care for them they just hate women and feminists.

Lkeke35
Lkeke35

@Paradoxical:
That’s because most of them simply cannot see anything beyond women’s usefulness to men. It’s absolutely the only reason we exist, and some of us apparently aren’t “womaning” correctly.

Friendly Neighborhood Dragon Arthur
Friendly Neighborhood Dragon Arthur

Ah yes, memes and how most of the MRA ones fail miserably.

Personally, I like memes about minivans, especially ones like this:

But sadly, very few memes celebrate the awesome and practical nature of the minivan. Instead, I get memes that degrade the minivan, claim that any man who drives must “relinquish their man card” and the car is known as a “mommy mobile”. Sure, the minivan doesn’t generate loads of testosterone like a Toyota Prius or Smart Car, but said cars don’t pack the same level of horsepower as the minivan can (or station wagon). But yet, most men (especially men) seem absolutely terrified of minivans. Why? I think they’re great cars, clearly superior to those over-engineered pieces of garbage like Ferrari or Lamborghini.

Dark Statistic
Dark Statistic

The last one annoys the hell out of me.

It’s not a question. It doesn’t need a question mark.

Men are said to have superior writing skills but so many can’t tell the difference between interrogative and declarative?

A Space Alpaca
A Space Alpaca

@Friendly Neighborhood Dragon Arthur
Because they’re uuuuuggggly!

I am certainly not in the camp where I think driving one is humiliating or emasculating, but good lord would I not want to look at a minivan sitting in my driveway.

Conveniently, my decision to not bear children exempts me from having a legitimate need for a minivan or it’s many benefits.

They are a much more comfortable choice than many other vehicles if you have to go on a trip somewhere though, so I guess there’s that.

[this comment brought to you by someone who grew up watching F1 races and rallies and probably absorbed a few too many instances of my parents thinking minivans were gross]

Saphira
Saphira

My husband drives a minivan and it doesn’t bother him at all. He also still has his small pickup truck from like the 90s when trucks weren’t all these large, gas-guzzling beasts with crew cabs. Some guys try to poke fun at him for having a “baby truck,” but he just shrugs it off. Sometimes he’ll tell the really macho ones that his truck is small because he doesn’t have anything to compensate for.

ThatBear
ThatBear

But why would a woman even go in the water if she didn’t want to be eaten by a shark? I mean… it’s the shark’s property. She has to know what she’s getting into.

@ dust bunny

Yeah, you can imagine that if you were screaming “Argh, it’s eating me!” they’d just respond “Actually, he’s just being curious. He’ll probably spit that leg out when he realises you’re not a seal”

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

@Dragon Arthur And mini-vans tend not to ‘spontaneously’ combust. 😉

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

Dr. Nicola Luna, the People’s Assembly health homes jobs NHS march on the 16th probably.

contrapangloss
contrapangloss

Exactly!

I mean, compared to seals, humans are junk food. No good blubber reserves, too much bone… It really wasn’t worth his time to bite you, and he probably feels rather sad about it.

Even sadder case (for the shark): I always feel so sorry for the blue sharks that accidentally take bites out of surfboards, actually. Expecting a delightful mouthful of seal and all you get is styrofoam.

🙁

WeirwoodTreeHugger
WeirwoodTreeHugger

Nthing the defense of sharks. It makes me sad that so many predator animals are hated and feared. See also, crocodiles, wolves, and lions. And those misandrist hyenas of course!

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Wetherby:

We tell dumb blonde jokes about our dog all the time.

He’s male.

Then, strictly speaking, aren’t they dumb blond jokes?

Kat
Kat

@Scaly Llama
You are an inspiration!

@iknklast
Damn! I’m sorry to hear that. I hope that things are looking up for you.

@Fruitloopsie
Hi! (Waves back.) Nice to see you! I hope that you’ve been doing well.

*******
Regarding the memes, I found this word in the dictionary, lifemanship. It entered the English language in 1949. Lifemanship seems to be the skill set of the proto-troll or Early Troll:

lifemanship
the skill or practice of achieving superiority or an appearance of superiority over others (as in conversation) by perplexing and demoralizing them

Three words: