"ethics" #gamergate antifeminism davis aurini lying liars men who really shouldn't be making movies men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny PUA sarkeesian!

Davis Aurini admits he never actually watched any of Anita Sarkeesian’s videos

Davis Aurini: Who's got at least one thumb and no discernable value as a human being?
Davis Aurini: Who’s got at least one thumb and no discernible value as a human being?

Apparently Davis Aurini is capable of sometimes telling the truth.

As you may recall, the bald, semi-Nazi stain on humanity released his version of The Sarkeesian Effect (that was officially not his version of The Sarkeesian Effect) last week to something less than universal acclaim, with one critic describing the “film” as “worse than a dead squirrel in your wall.”

Ok, that was me.

Weirdly, it turns out that Aurini actually agrees with some of my criticisms. While still maintaining that his not-version of The Sarkeesian Effect is a “damn good film,” he admitted on a livestream last night that the section of his film critiquing Anita Sarkeesian’s alleged lies was “crap.”

He then suggested it would have been much better … if he’d actually watched Sarkeesian’s videos.

Yep. He spent a year — and tens of thousands of dollars of other people’s money — ostensibly making a film about Sarkeesian. But somehow he never got around to watching any of her videos.

ETHICS!

You can hear the whole segment on “Bechtloff’s Saturday Night Livestream: Secret Crisis of the Infinity Hour” on Youtube here. (The link should take you to the relevant portion of the livestrean, which starts just short of an hour and twenty minutes in.)

Here are the highlights.

In this first clip, Aurini responds to someone with a question about his attacks on Sarkeesian’s alleged dishonesty.

This clip ends a bit abruptly because Aurini was cut off by Bechtloff before finishing his sentence. Luckily, he went on to elaborate on his point. And threw in in a racial slur while he was at it, because why not?

And here he admits he didn’t bother to watch Sarkeesian’s videos.

It’s about ethics in making an entire film about someone without actually knowing anything about them.

EDITED TO ADD:

We Hunted the Mammoth has obtained this footage of Davis Aurini as a child.

H/T — Thanks to the alert reader who pointed me to the relevant section of the livestream.

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III
Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

But… but… but… The term ‘free market’ contains the word ‘free’. It has to be perfect!

Moocow

@PI

And if DuoLingo’s so “obviously inferior”, then I have a simple solution: Don’t fucking use it. Problem solved.

but then he can’t mansplain which new language learning software is appropriate for your feeble ladybrain! Gosh, you gotta remember, a man’s feelings are precious and must be catered to at all times! /s

@Galt

Congratulations! Your ability to answer questions is on par with a nevernude Alien simulation program running at minimum capacity:

Logistically, how does this even work?
answer: Yes

Q Are there going to be toll booths at every road?
answer: Yes

Alrighty then, how the fuck is building a toll booth at every road going to be effective?

Who decides where the roads stop and end?

Is there some unit of measurement that a single proprietor is ‘allowed’ to own? Yes

Do these toll booths take credit cards? Yes

Well that’s a relief! And who’s going to make sure that each booth is equipped with a credit card reader?

I could go on, but for the sake of spam I won’t.

Goddamnit, stop asking me, figure it out yourself.

Translation: stop questioning my ideas and just accept that they are good! I don’t have any logical retorts so I’m just going to keep deflecting.

Sorry dude, but if you can’t answer these basic questions then your economic system is bad and you should feel bad.

Supply and demand. Supply. And. Demand.

Except public goods such as roads are a market failures.

Also, this is just the free-market at work;

Ditch the libertarian catchphrases and go look up microeconomics: The free market is incapable of providing public goods because they are market failures.

that’s life, goddamnit.

People can only put so many tolls on one road (supply and demand makes it thus), and competition will help drive these prices down.

You say ‘competition will drive prices down’ like there’s enough space for several people to each have their own competing roads that lead to the same place. I’ll bet Atlas Shrugged didn’t come with a detailed map showing the logistics of how this series of competing private roads was all planned out (including the hundreds of thousands of toll booths). And for places such as bridges like I already explained, the barriers to entry are very high: who in the world is going to be able to front the cost and spend time building the second bridge? especially knowing full well that their competitor is sitting RIGHT there. Also, once a second bridge opens up, all I have to do is cut prices until I drive out the competition. Since I’ve already been operating my bridge, I can withstand much greater loss (especially after quadrupling my profits by being an asshole) and effectively drive them out of business.

How is the free market going to stop me from doing that?

Sorry to burst the libertarian bubble, but ‘the free market will figure it out’ is not some magic cureall that automatically solves all economic problems. Especially when we’re talking about market failures, which are given that name precisely because they are scenarios where the free market cannot ‘figure it out’.

Galt, I will glady continue this conversation but first you have some homework to do, read the following:

then explain to me how the free market is going to solve all these problems I’ve described.

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

@cleverforagirl

You are very clever, both in fora and in other places, too!

Most of my social engagements online have been mixed bags – this place has been one of the better ones. Probably mostly my fault!

Your volatile-talk-handling skills are good! Mirroring is a very useful tactic. I like to do similar, though i will usually add little questions when I encounter something that doesn’t make sense, or something i really don’t agree with. I try to avoid challenging too much.

Well, in real life I avoid talking about it at all if we don’t agree, cause I don’t got time for those kinds of arguments for realsies. I’m all for the baking and inane chatter though!

weirwoodtreehugger

For good measure, I think he needs to look up deflationary spiral too. Because sudden increases in poverty and joblessness that aren’t stopped with government intervention tend to cause them.

Axecalibur
Axecalibur

@Noyd
Never said it was pretty. I did say it only works for some people, at the expense of the marginal/disenfranchized. But for those people, it’s brilliant. I see capitalism like hard drugs. The highs are astronomical, the lows are subterranean. Better hope you get a good batch. Or you can do the responsible thing (tho not easy to do, by any stretch), get into rehab, and get it sorted. My whole thing is, cold turkey quitting (what I originally, and falsely, assumed Kale to mean by “dismantle”) often leads to more problems than it solves

There’s this old saying that 2 socialists will have more to argue about than a communist and an objectivist. Not wrong in my experience… 🙂

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

I-Is he ignoring me? I think he’s ignoring me :c

isidore13
isidore13

Supply and demand will figure that out. If people charge too much for someone to use the road, people will stop using it.

People literally cannot stop using a road that is right in front of their house.

Eventually, when they run out of money, if people start using the road anyway, they won’t be able to acquire a police force to stop people from using it, because they won’t have the money to pay for the police.

So there won’t be any money to maintain it, either, so eventually it will cease being a road at all. We’re back to there being no roads in this libertarian paradise.

There’s always the possibility that someone can be incentivized into lowering his price, if enough people get upset.

And now we’re also back to total warfare, too!

Once You Go Galt, You Can't Default
Once You Go Galt, You Can't Default

@Scildfreja

I bought the book. Now I’m going back to ignoring you.

You people are no longer worth my time to talk to. It is not in my rational self-interest to continue on and try to teach you all about objectivism when I’m getting nothing in return. Nobody’s paying for this, I don’t half to dispense with my ideas andy longer. I’ve opened the door for you, now you’re all going to have to show some initiative and do your own studying. No handouts.

Atlas Flounced, and was crushed by the sofa overburdened with the enemies of reason.

Jarnsaxa
Jarnsaxa

Man, I can barely afford produce the way it is now, I don’t even want to think of how expensive it would be with privately-owned roads in the rural Midwest, especially since most people don’t even like paying for tiny slivers of the cost via taxes.

I guess you don’t consider the obesity problem to be a problem either.

A. Noyd
A. Noyd

Axecalibur says:

You’re the one who gave “raises people out of extreme poverty pretty quickly” as “a positive.” The point is, capitalism only “works,” or is “a positive,” in the context of poverty if you’re willing to beg the question that the group you’re elevating is more worthy than the groups you’re exploiting to achieve that elevation.

If you don’t beg that question—if you value all people equally—then it doesn’t “work” and isn’t “a positive” because you’re just redistributing poverty at best. (And creating more poverty while raising fewer and fewer people out of it at worst.)

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

@Galt

I can understand the frustration of being challenged by so many people, I was a pro-feminist moderator of a serious discussion board on an image board for over a year, it can be rough. But…

No handouts? Yeah, that’s a great way to spread a philosophy, knowledge or belief. What are we supposed to get out of what you are offering? Good luck with that.

Getting nothing in return? I thought an improved world was part of the point. Perhaps if one knew what you wanted one could figure out if it was possible.

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

Once You Go Galt, You Can’t Default | April 5, 2016 at 9:54 pm
You people are no longer worth my time to talk to.

He said for the third or forth time.

Most people would argue that before you could teach anybody anything, you first have to know something to the point where you could teach it, or at least know something worth knowing.

Telling us to “figure it out for ourselves” when we question you because we don’t understand what you’re getting at isn’t “teaching”. It’s just being lazy.

Nobody’s paying for this,

If I was paying for it, I would have asked for a refund a long time ago. You’re a shitty “teacher”.

“I came here to teach you! Now just go do a Google search because I’m too lazy to explain anything to you, but I’ll just hide that fact behind Ayn Rand’s catchphrase and ignore the fact that people can’t get behind my libertarianism if they don’t know what the fuck it’s about.”

“Enemies of Reason” sounds like an awesome band name.

Though, for Galt-Boy, I think it’s defined as “You didn’t agree with me outright and instead questioned me when things didn’t make sense! This isn’t what Ayn would have wanted! She would have wanted you to just accept it and never question it (or me)!”

If you’re really going to flounce, at least do a flip this time instead of just going out with a whimper and with your tail between your legs.

cleverforagirl
cleverforagirl

Galt! Come back! We’ve never heard of rationalism before you showed up! *snifflesniffletearyeyed*

Seriously you guys, I’m used to people thinking I’m dim, but it must be frustrating day in and day out for you folks.

isidore13
isidore13

@cleverforagirl, nah, it’s just that he, like so very many of his ilk, came in here thinking he could teach us femanarcommunists a thing or two and then found that no, this commentariat already knows all about his shitty ideas and can explain in detail why they won’t work in the real world, and that was too hard on his pwecious widdle manfeels.

weirwoodtreehugger

Because we never heard of objectivism until now.

Never have I ever seen the tedious rantings of an over privileged naïve Ayn Rand fanboy on the internet.

Drink!

comment image

brooked
brooked

OK, I’m going to assume you’re pulling our leg because it’s hard to believe anyone can unwittingly descend this much into self-parody.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Why do dudes who wank to Ayn Rand always know so little about their holy figure? She only died in the ’80s! Wiki that shit!

@anti-Semitic anti-feminist #97123918264

Ayn Rand was a Russian Jew and you wouldn’t have even heard of her if it weren’t for feminism pushing for women’s education.

sparkalipoo
sparkalipoo

I realize I’m late to this thread and there are a million comments already but when I first discovered Anita Sorkeesian’s tropes vs women series what stood out to me is that her argument is so well constructed (especially in the damsel in distress one where she actually addresses possible counter arguments and explains why they are wrong) and then I saw the counter videos and being young and naive I tried to watch them and it was the biggest mistake in my life because they were literally the dumbest videos I have ever watched in my life because within the first minute (I only made it that far), it was obvious that they had not paid attention to or engaged with what she was actually arguing at all and everything they talked about was either irrelevant to her actual argument or arguments that she already disproved in her original video which is why the “she doesn’t respond to her critics” people piss me off because it’s not worth responding to someone who ignores what you say the first time–if they want people to take them seriously why don’t they try saying something actually intelligent?

Also other people have already said this but it aggravated me, in response to what is man “where’s the sources?”–you don’t need a study to have academic writing, there’s a lot of academic writing, that’s just a text or a group of texts and the only thing cited is that text or texts. Also, the idea that sexism in video games has effects on real world is based off of something called Cultivation Theory which is so widely accepted in Sociology that arguing against it is like arguing that Gravity doesn’t exist which is also why it doesn’t need to be sighted–you don’t have to prove something that’s already been proved by a million other people

Once You Go Galt, You Can't Default
Once You Go Galt, You Can't Default

@PI

Fuck you. You are not cute. You are not interesting. You are not funny. You are not smart you are not wise you’re not even a human fucking being. You’re little more than some catty little pube, that’s what you are. You’re a snot, you Walter Mitty heathen, cantankerous shark, Andrew Jackson helping piece of chicken beak pie, you make more noise than an octopus with a drum set. You don’t even know that brevity is the soul of wit, that’s why you can’t even figure out that when you fucking parody something you should stick to keeping it short, well do it do just to spite me? No? Well, it fucking walked. Slip in a shit pie, fall out of a tree and get wedgied on the way down for what I care. FUCK. YOU.

You’re all a bunch of communists. Keep your dirty, filthy, unwashed, hairy, dumpster-sifting, dirty, possum butt-wiping leftist hands off of my stuff. I fucking work harder than ANYONE around here for my things, and you think you’re entitled to a part of my profit? well, sorry, nope, it doesn’t work that way. The problem with communism is that eventally you run out of other peoples money. Should’ve thought about that.

The wealthy create the wealth, the CREAT THE JIBS. They create things so that know-nothing quack-addicts like yourselves can get jobs and then wine about how you should be given moe. Well, boo hoo cry me a river.

You all suck. You shits.

Axecalibur
Axecalibur

@Noyd

Not a positive overall, for everybody, no. A positive for those people (and they are numerous), yes. Both can be true simultaneously

you’re just redistributing poverty at best

It seems I have a rosier view of capitalism (or at least its potential) than you. Not by much, mind, but a little bit

Quite right

I think we’re mostly arguing minutiae in circles, at this point. I’ll keep doing it, you’re a nice sparring partner. Just thought I’d mention it

Catalpa
Catalpa

I gotta admit, I love reading the threads that trolls show up in. Not because of the trolls themselves, they’re tedious little blighters, but because the smackdowns that get laid on them are always a joy to read and I often learn quite a bit by reading those.

FrickleFrackle
FrickleFrackle

I joined at least in part to drag a troll one of these days. I may only be level one and am equipped with only a broken straight sword, but I’ll gather more souls in time, and eventually be strong enough to face trolls in single combat, using carefully aimed barrages of metaphorical soul arrows and simile sword thrusts to defeat my rhetorical opponents.

I assume this means he finally figured out that blathering about free markets won’t make us all jump on his dick.

kupo
kupo

I guess you don’t consider the obesity problem to be a problem either.

Let’s please not body shame.

weirwoodtreehugger

You don’t even know that brevity is the soul of wit

This, from someone with an Atlas Shrugged reference as a handle?

Is that the funniest part of Galt’s meltdown?

Or is this?

The wealthy create the wealth, the CREAT THE JIBS.

I can’t decide.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

I don’t like the creat of his jib.

weirwoodtreehugger

That’s just because you’re a know nothing-quack-addict.

isidore13
isidore13

You know, I feel like galt seems a little butthurt. You must have hit a nerve, PI! Good job!

Well, it fucking walked.

…Who walked? The octopus? And how could you slip in shit if you were in a tree? I have so many questions.

I’m also fascinated to hear how that last comment was in your rational self-interest. You weren’t getting paid for that one either, you know.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

I’ll fill in some of the details of libertarian utopia, since Galt doesn’t seem to have studied his own philosophy.

Money wouldn’t exist. We would go back to a gold standard which magically would work because gold values itself. There would also be trade and bartering.

Contracts would be enforced by pointing to one’s private army. There would be literally no point even having a contract other than flashing it to other people as evidence that there was an agreement. Just flashing it to random people on the street. I mean random people on the ground, where there would be a street in a less dysfunctional society.

Instead of the semi-civilized court system we have now, people would simply do what they could get away with. The person with the biggest local army would be like a demigod dictator with no limit to their power.

Of course, the free market is perfect and could never fail, thus only perfectly moral people could ever become rich and maintain an army of any size, so we wouldn’t need to worry about this stuff at all.

Honestly, the only minor problem with libertarianism is that planes would collide in the air. But no system is 100% flawless.

A. Noyd brought up probably the most significant answer to ‘why is capitalism bad’–by concentrating value it destroys more than it creates. I will never forget reading in Grey Brechin’s ‘Farewell Promised Land’ that it would cost orders of magnitude more to restore the area devastated by gold mining in California in the late nineteenth century than the actual value of the gold extracted from it. And that’s just the physical environment, not even considering the lives and labour stolen from slaves and workers (you may recall 1066 and all that says the greatest innovation of the industrial revolution was the Spinning Jenny (with a picture of a young girl underneath)). As far as an English working-class friend of mine could see, capitalism was fantastic–he and his class were far better off now than they were even a generation ago. But he hadn’t taken into account that his good fortune relied on dragging the people of China, India and other countries into poverty to contribute their labour to supporting his lifestyle.

But in addition to that not many people understand that the kind of capitalism that created the Industrial Revolution is not the kind of capitalism that took advantage of it, and that we have now. I admit I’m surprised that historians seem to have ignored this–a few seem to vaguely see it, but no one has yet said it outright (my suspicion is that this is because it doesn’t line up with Marx’s theory of historical development, which we all take for granted). Since this is a challenging idea it would take a long time to explain; I’ll just suggest it with this quote from Gillian Cookson, one of the ones who seems to have spotted the difference:

To accept that some kind of collaboration operated, and apparently worked well, requires an imaginative leap out of the competitive and confrontational framework upon which much late-twentieth-century management thinking rests. The evolution and success of the system is explicable in the artisan context of early textile engineering. Artisans generally took a long view of business, seeing continuation as a priority so that following generations had the means to make a living. This apparently anachronistic pre-industrial milieu provided a highly suitable setting for the new industry.

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III
Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

Wow, OTGGYCD, I guess when you start waxing lyrical about the wonders of the market, people don’t just fall silent and listen patiently to you. Ayn Rand must have been wrong about that.

I wonder if she was wrong about anything else?

@ Scented Fucking Hard Chairs – “I don’t like the creat of his jib.”

I laughed soooo hard at this.

dlouwe
dlouwe

Do you even know brevity is the soul of wit, bro?

Anarchonist
Anarchonist

@Everyone

Excellent job with Galt there. Your patience is admirable.

@Paradoxical Intention

You could just play Bioshock.

Actually, what I really wanted to see is the embarrassed looks on the faces of the Randian ”titans” once they realize the rest of society goes on just fine without them. But that works too.

@guy

Well said. It is rarely brought up that even if the people opting out of public services aren’t technically using them, they still benefit from them in several ways.

@Axecalibur

(Warning: Rant incoming)

As others have said, capitalism does not really raise anyone out of poverty. Capitalism, at least the laissez-faire variant, is based on the idea of poorly distributed wealth forcing the many to sell their labor to benefit the few. Modern capitalism, at its very core, is based on the idea of property and the power of those with said property. It was never meant to elevate anyone who wasn’t already well-off; it is a natural progression from imperialist politics.

For example, innovation is often hailed as one of the benefits of capitalism, that innovation and technological progress benefit all. But in reality, innovation largely suffers because of the focus on making a profit, and the innovations that would indeed make different lines of work easier tend to benefit only those who can afford them, while innovations in the workplace may paradoxically lead to drawbacks to the innovator. A personal example: An innovation made by workers that reduced the time and effort needed for a specific task lead to the employer drastically reducing the work hours for said innovators. Since they were paid on an hourly basis, their innovative approach actually harmed their own well-being. Without proper worker’s contracts (which are socialist in nature), innovations may lead to workers being laid off entirely, because the work they do is no longer necessary. Again, the capitalist benefits, while workers get the short end of the stick. So, in that regard, capitalism actually stifles innovation.

And what about those who are not competitive-minded or interested in making a profit for themselves, but rather to increase the overall standard of living for all? Personally, I have never been driven by competition; quite on the contrary, I am at my best when I feel my work benefits the people around me just as much as me. Of course, in a capitalist system, I’m easily exploited by those who rely on a solidarity rhetoric while not actually contributing to a system of solidarity.

I wonder if the various faults in the free market system that seemingly go against the very idea of a free market, such as cartels, corruption and monopolies, are the result of humans simply not handling ongoing stress well. A system based on constant competition is stressful to anyone participating in it, which is why anyone with a modicum of power (in the form of wealth) tends to try to manipulate the market in order to stay on top. Competition has its uses in short bursts, but not as a lifestyle. This, in my opinion, is one of the inherent failures of capitalism. Contrary to what Social Darwinists say, humans are not built for constant, unceasing competition.

Capitalism is also not stable in the least. The tendency of the market to form bubbles that simulate growth has most recently lead to the massive, still ongoing financial crisis. Such crises are usually handled with socialist politics, which raises the question of why laissez-faire capitalism is used in the first place if it inevitably leads to another crisis – and another bailout. One could argue that in a more well-regulated system, such bubbles would be spotted and popped before they manage to cause a crisis, but again, why the need to regulate something that is not essential in the first place? Why the desperate need to hang on to such a massively flawed system? I have sometimes argued that capitalism could have its uses in walks of life that aren’t included in basic survival (such as housing, food and water, healthcare etc). With that, I simply mean that capitalism could be an economic model for the production and distribution of luxury items. In light of the more recent failures of the prevailing economic system, I have now come to fear my optimism has been misplaced. Capitalism sustains itself with creating myths and the illusion of necessity. If humanity continues to believe in stories, we will continue having a capitalist system. If humanity ceases to believe in them, well, what’s the point in having a capitalist system in the first place?

Of course, it is possible that my idea of capitalism has been tainted by the various failures of its implementations in the real world. But in conclusion, I still have to say that no, capitalism as we know it doesn’t work. Throughout recent history, all the economic booms have been largely due to outside factors, such as the industrial revolution, a supply of (seemingly) free energy and, of course, the regular implementation of socialist politics. If there is a form of capitalism that can work, it cannot be relying on the many times debunked theory of the ”free” market. Personally, speaking as a political radical, I’d argue that capitalism in itself is already broken beyond repair, and any effort made to fix it is taking away from what we could accomplish were we to abandon it entirely. But maybe that’s just me.

@Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

You jest, but I’ve actually had to explain to someone why this isn’t true.

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

Once You Go Galt, You Can’t Default | April 5, 2016 at 11:29 pm
@PI

comment image

Ooooh, did I hit a nerve, Mr. Salty Pants? Are you mad that I’m existing as a human being (oh, sorry, as “some catty little pube”) without your expressed permission? Aw, poor baby. Do you need a nap?

It’s not my fault you don’t see me as the amazing fucking ray of sunshine I am. I’m adorable/cute/funny/awesome as fuck pookie, and I don’t need your affirmation to know it.

And if brevity is the soul of wit, you have certainly outpaced me in word count, sir. By a country mile. Too bad none of your words make sense in that configuration, so it’s a little hard for me to be insulted by them.

Way to assume that you must be THE HARDEST WORKER here. Because you totes know our personal lives and shit apparently.

Oh, wait, I’m just “some catty little pube” so what do I know about work and “jibs” and shit?

The wealthy create the wealth, the CREAT THE JIBS.

That sounds good for sailors then. Though, who really uses jibs for larger ships anymore? I mean, small sailboats, sure, but definitely not most larger ships, right? Those have engines.

Moe?

You all suck. You shits.

Galt has cut me to the quick with this final sentence. I was wrong all along, I see that now, but it is too late to rectify my mistakes upon the world! Forsooth, I die~! [/heavy sarcasm]

Well, my life isn’t perfect, but at least I’m not throwing an incoherent, horribly spelt, written temper tantrum on the internet because someone didn’t swallow my bullshit wholesale and dared to mock me because I was condescending about a language program.

Pandapool -- The Species that Endangers YOU (aka Jackie; currently using they/their, he/his pronouns)

@Paradoxical

°˖✧That’s my girl~✧˖°

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

Oh, and Galt didn’t stick the flounce. Again.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

@Galt:
Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead were fantasy novels.

I understand that you read a fantasy novel at one point and now think it’s real. I sympathise. I can remember the disappointment that I felt when I realised that there was no such place as Minas Tirith, and that I was never going to be whisked away on a grand adventure to strange and terrifying places. I got over it, though. I think you’re still clinging to the fantasy book you read.

If you wanted to rant about your fantasy world and how it works, then you can do that somewhere on the web. My eyes will glaze over when you do it, but then your eyes will probably glaze over when I talk to you about Sindarin phonology and the geology of Emyn Muil. That’s the price we pay for being nerds.

However.

You do not get to be mean to Paradoxy. She’s a lovely person, one of the genuinely nicest and funniest here, and is always extremely supportive of everyone else. Interactions with her always make people feel happy. Interactions with you… well, so far I’m not impressed.

Yes, she is a heathen. Yes, she’s long-winded. However, these are not the insults you seem to think they are. She’s an awesome person and so when she’s long winded she’s awesome about it; and I’m sure when she’s heathen she’s also awesomely heathen.

You could also have called her fat. That, too, would not have been an insult. Fat people are every bit as human as thin people.

I understand that you think you’re an intelligent man who looks at everything through a scientific and dispassionate viewpoint. However, let me lay down the fucking law here because there seems to be some confusion: Game recognise game, and you look unfamiliar.

Paradoxical Intention - Mobile
Paradoxical Intention - Mobile

I accept the “heathen” bit because that’s true (because I’m a pagan who is polytheistic and not just because I dare to defy Galt’s religious devotion to libertarianism), but I was almost insulted by the “long-winded” bit EJ. I like to think of myself as somewhat consice.

Paradoxical Intention - Mobile
Paradoxical Intention - Mobile

(There’s no edit function on mobile apparently.)

And I will not accept that “insult” from someone as uneccesarily verbose (and so hilariously incoherent) as Galt.

That’s the pot calling the kettle black.

mockingbird
mockingbird

I can remember the disappointment that I felt when I realised that there was no such place as Minas Tirith […]

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ Shut your mouth (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ

@David, et al, re: the current troll: Time for the banhammer?

He’s grown…I was going to say “remarkably tedious”, but he’s really rather unremarkably – but massively – so.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ IP

(Warning for one of my interminable anecdotes)

I did a case once arising from the crash of a light aircraft. I got talking to the air accident investigator. I was interested to find out that there is a school of thought within the aviation industry that there would be fewer near misses and related problems if pilots were just allowed to pick their own routes, rather than being confined to very narrow air corridors as they are currently.

There are lots of factors at play of course. Sometimes there are great circle considerations and ATC would have to take over near actual airports. But the general thesis was that there’s so much room in three dimensional airspace, the chances of any aircraft trying to occupy the same spot at the same time was statistically insignificant. It wasn’t even a left-field view and it crops up every now and then when people living under flight paths complain about the environmental issues.

Of course this view is based on practical factors rather than an ideological repugnance at pilots being constrained by “the man”.

mockingbird
mockingbird

@Alan – As someone who lives in an area with lots
of restricted airspaces, it’d be…interesting…to see that happen.

cleverforagirl
cleverforagirl

THAT’S the trantrum I was expecting. Well, almost, usually there’s some n-words in there for good meas-wait, dirty possum butt-wiping? Am I wiping the opossum butts, or am I wiping my butt with an opossum? I mean, I can’t imagine wiping a baby opossum butt would be much harder than wiping a kitten butt, maybe just wear gloves and long sleeves?

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Hey! Some of the loveliest people I know wipe possums’ butts!

(Not shown: actual possum butt wiping)

comment image

mockingbird
mockingbird

As I slowly but surely make my way back through the comments*, there’s something I feel like yelling from the rooftop:

You people are frikkin’ awesome.

@Scildfreja – Your combination of MLP gifs and hard science makes me smile.

@PI – You are a http://i.imgur.com/RDe9zJr.gif .

@Moocow – http://31.media.tumblr.com/c7bd10f095583c83847e6d8bd89da211/tumblr_mzuqbp3BIW1ry758io1_r2_500.gif

(more to come if that sound that just happened wasn’t our toddler)

* I’m getting through as much as I can before the kiddos wake up while drinking black coffee and…ohgawd…I just got these donut baking things and am out of control. This morning features donut-shaped coffee cakes.

mockingbird
mockingbird

I fucking work harder than ANYONE around here for my things

Dude, I know, right?!?

Moms can be real task masters for that sweet, sweet allowance.
Fucking leaves, amirite?
And why do you have to clean the gutters? You didn’t buy the house. They bought the house. You didn’t ask to live there. It’s so fucking unfair.

Don’t let go of that anger, though!
Use it to SPREAD you OBJECTIVIST WISDOM!
YELL IT THE WOOOOORRRRLD!

But do stick to your promise to flounce.
Real Masters of the Universe – those in complete control, those who truly exercise their agency – keep their promises.

Makroth
Makroth

@Once you go Galt, you embrace being a spoiled brat

You sound angry. Are you angry? You know what? I actually want you to build your libertarian utopia. As long as its on some deserted island or some other place far away from society. I want you to fulfill your dreams. Because i fucking hate you. Because the best laid plans of dipshits like you have always ended in monumental, humiliating failures.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

I always find it funny when internet trolls make claims such as “I work harder than anyone here” or “I know more about X than you” or “I’ve gone through more difficult times than you all combined”. Because these are things the troll can’t possibly know. It’s obvious to everyone but the troll that the troll is simply making shit up instead of coming up with proper arguments.

mockingbird
mockingbird

@IP – Oh! I watched a show recently about that Libertarian Utopia…
…what was it…
…what was it…
Oh, yeah – The Walking Dead.
I mean, sure – there were zombies, but otherwise it was spot on.

@guest –

Huh. I had never thought about it in those terms.
Thanks!