"ethics" #gamergate antifeminism davis aurini lying liars men who really shouldn't be making movies men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny PUA sarkeesian!

Davis Aurini admits he never actually watched any of Anita Sarkeesian’s videos

Davis Aurini: Who's got at least one thumb and no discernable value as a human being?
Davis Aurini: Who’s got at least one thumb and no discernible value as a human being?

Apparently Davis Aurini is capable of sometimes telling the truth.

As you may recall, the bald, semi-Nazi stain on humanity released his version of The Sarkeesian Effect (that was officially not his version of The Sarkeesian Effect) last week to something less than universal acclaim, with one critic describing the “film” as “worse than a dead squirrel in your wall.”

Ok, that was me.

Weirdly, it turns out that Aurini actually agrees with some of my criticisms. While still maintaining that his not-version of The Sarkeesian Effect is a “damn good film,” he admitted on a livestream last night that the section of his film critiquing Anita Sarkeesian’s alleged lies was “crap.”

He then suggested it would have been much better … if he’d actually watched Sarkeesian’s videos.

Yep. He spent a year — and tens of thousands of dollars of other people’s money — ostensibly making a film about Sarkeesian. But somehow he never got around to watching any of her videos.

ETHICS!

You can hear the whole segment on “Bechtloff’s Saturday Night Livestream: Secret Crisis of the Infinity Hour” on Youtube here. (The link should take you to the relevant portion of the livestrean, which starts just short of an hour and twenty minutes in.)

Here are the highlights.

In this first clip, Aurini responds to someone with a question about his attacks on Sarkeesian’s alleged dishonesty.

This clip ends a bit abruptly because Aurini was cut off by Bechtloff before finishing his sentence. Luckily, he went on to elaborate on his point. And threw in in a racial slur while he was at it, because why not?

And here he admits he didn’t bother to watch Sarkeesian’s videos.

It’s about ethics in making an entire film about someone without actually knowing anything about them.

EDITED TO ADD:

We Hunted the Mammoth has obtained this footage of Davis Aurini as a child.

H/T — Thanks to the alert reader who pointed me to the relevant section of the livestream.

Monzach
Monzach

So DA is quite literally complaining about videos he doesn’t watch? Somehow that doesn’t surprise me.

Tulse
Tulse

It’s like he doesn’t actually hear what he’s saying.

Margaret Pless
Margaret Pless

Sounds like Aurini just used Owen’s script after making minor surface changes (and a different alt-right monologue at the end.) That would explain why he’s using a lot of the same specific examples as Owen did, even though he thinks they’re weak.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

OMG y’all! It might have taken him an extra week to actually watch some of her videos! And he had to hustle that thing out because, y’know, he wasn’t getting paid for it monthly anymore.

Of all the possible excuses, “It might have pushed release time back by a whole week,” is … not the one I expected to hear!

David Gerard
David Gerard

Some Aurini/Owen videos feature clips from Sarkeesian videos (e.g. the one where Owen describes her as smiling like a white person); presumably Owen found the clips in question.

edit: oops, that was Owen and Mundane Matt!

Dr. NicolaLuna
Dr. NicolaLuna

Expecting men to do their own research is misandry. Just send more money!1!!

Linophrynes
Linophrynes

I should’ve seen this coming. Guys like Aurini don’t actually know what they’re talking about, they just repeat what they were told by someone else in their reactionary anti-feminist social circles. It’s like how there are pro-gamergaters who still don’t know who Zoe Quinn is or that she didn’t actually sleep with anyone for game reviews. They just hear there’s drama about some woman doing Bad Things on the internet and jump on the bandwagon to fight the eeeeevil feminists.

kupo
kupo

And they accuse Anita of never having played the games she critiques because they disagree with her opinions on them.

Jamesworkshop
Jamesworkshop
C.S.Strowbridge
C.S.Strowbridge

I am not surprise. Not even a little. I’ve encountered far too many people who hate Anita Sarkeesian, but who have clearly never watched a single video of hers.

Lea
Lea

*blink*
*blink*
*blink*

You could not invent characters like this. Professor Skull aka the Nazi Cowboy is just unreal.

Jamesworkshop
Jamesworkshop

Such a Fake Video documentarian boy.

weirwoodtreehugger

It’s like we were discussing on the other thread with the current troll in it. Men don’t have to actually listen to women to know we’re wrong. We’re women, of course we’re wrong! Of course men are right! They’re men after all!

Bina

So obsessed with ideology, he forgot to actually do his homework. How very like a Nazi…

Jamesworkshop
Jamesworkshop

comment image

The entier universe has led to this moment.

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

comment image

Congrats on the A-grade ethics in game journalism journalism, Aurini!

Was there ever better evidence of doods thinking that their unverified opinions are solid gold? That’s some high-grade, distilled entitlement there.

ThatBear
ThatBear

This adds more weight to the idea that Kathy Sierra et al. have written about – that women become targets simply because people are paying attention to them. That’s it. It doesn’t matter what they do, or what they say – their crime is being heard and seen. And that just can’t be allowed. If we’re not paying attention to men and only men (and the right sort of man, at that), or male-approved women (the right sort of women), it must be misandry. Who else but men (the right sort of men) could have anything valuable to say?

Friendly Neighborhood Dragon Arthur
Friendly Neighborhood Dragon Arthur

The video game industry seems to be the only industry that I know of that can’t handle criticism of it’s own crappy stuff.

Everyone can agree that while the model T was innovative for it’s time, it’s not a great car.

Everyone in film can agree that silent movies were a great step in the right direction, but such entertainment would never hold up to today’s audiences or expectations.

Even in music, there are people who can agree that not everything a particular band or composer produced was solid gold.

But heaven forbid, say anything even remotely critical of a “classic” video game, regardless if it’s criticizing the story content for it’s sexist overtones or the actual gameplay, you will be attacked by a mob of angry fanboys for DARING to question such a great “classic”.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Let’s remember, folks, that the entire conceit of this project was that AS’s videos are low-quality productions full of bad information because AS doesn’t bother to research anything or take the time and effort to make good-looking videos, and that this “documentary” would show her how it’s done.

Davis surely showed us all how it’s done.

Paradoxical Intention - Mobile
Paradoxical Intention - Mobile

Oh the irony.

Man who makes documentary film on a woman and her opinion on video games doesn’t even bother to research what her opinion actually is.

Meanwhile, GG is still claiming that Anita’s a Fake Gamer Gurl and a con artist because she’s taking the time to research what the fuck she’s talking about and isn’t just throwing shit out just to make herself look relevant.

Good grief. Slow and steady wins the race, guis.

OoglyBoggles
OoglyBoggles

And everyone against GG is totally just the same as these people. This is a comedy of errors beyond all reason other than to laugh. Shifting the narrative and outright lying and bullying to return to a status quo that will never be.

And I’m supposed to take these people seriously? With these jokers as one of their leads?

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III
Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

You know, it’s easy to make fun of Milo, but if Aurini just had some sort of phalanx of unpaid interns, this never would have happened.

Moral of the story: forget all that John Galt super-individualist crap. You want to be an alt-right grifter, you need institutional backing.

hugseverycat
hugseverycat

Wow. I’m actually really surprised. Perhaps I shouldn’t be… but you know, making a movie that’s not shit is actually hard. It’s not terrifically surprising that the movie was terrible and boring. But to not actually, you know, hear the argument that you are arguing against? Taking lots of people’s money to rebut an argument and not even pretending to listen to it?

And then admitting to it? On tape?

What the fuck?

What is a Man
What is a Man

Since when was #GamerGate a fan of his.

Second off, even assuming he has seen none of her videos, it’s clear none of the commenters watch her videos either.

She does come to the conclusion that video games perpetuate sexism, and mentions as such repeatedly during her arguments in her videos. Despite lack of evidence and, since you seem to be talking about “research” do me a favor and show me her list of cited sources that shows the proof one would need for a video series that is intended to be used in the academic field for school and education.

I’ll wait. Because her sources are shit, just like your research on Anita is, and Davis’s.

Cheers!

magnesium
magnesium

I’d just like to thank each and every gator who wasted their (or their mom’s) hard earned money on these catastrophes pretending to be films. The amount of comedy gold over the course of the production was well worth it. Keep up the good work, you great heroes of conservative reactionary video game fandom.

good lord
good lord

You know, at least Jordan Owen believes the stuff he says (and is trying to do better). Everything about Aurini is posturing.

OoglyBoggles
OoglyBoggles

@magnesium
It’s hard to make parody of something that readily makes a mockery of itself, even if it’s too stubborn and unaware to notice.

dakkster
dakkster

This is pure goddamn comedy gold. Look up the definition of “hypocrisy” and you’ll find an image of our dear Davis 🙂

Seriously though, it’s fascinating. I can’t even imagine the cognitive dissonance going on in his head. How can he not see the blatantly obvious hypocrisy?

Cerulean (Miss A)
Cerulean (Miss A)

@magnesium

I was just reading a prior WHtM article where you said this in the comments:

Well, considering PUA Anton LaVey and that other weirdo are almost certainly planning to pocket the patreon money that GamerGate rubes send them, while never making anything more than some low budget, fact-free Youtube videos, a little wire fraud is hardly a concern.

Your premonition was eerily accurate, though not at all surprising.

Sweaty Examination Goblin
Sweaty Examination Goblin

@magnesium
I’d feel bad for those moms and their wasted money, TBQ Honestly. And that their sons turned out like this. Mammas, don’t let your babies grow up to be gators…

kupo
kupo

@good lord
Are you new? I feel like I would recognize a cool avatar like that if I saw it before. If so, welcome!

Mortarius
Mortarius

TBH I’ve only watched a part of one FemFreq video because I got bored straight away, it was really basic and obvious stuff and most descriptions I hear say it’s basic feminist criticism all the way through. Nonetheless I know from that short watch that the videos are well produced and many sources/outlets I trust verify that they’re all good.

I’ve also never seen a whole Davis Aruni video, I can only really stomach cringe when people like David or Hbomberguy break it down into greatest hits manageable chunks. Even so I don’t think I need to see one through to the end to know he’s terrible and that his doco is terrible.

You don’t always need to have seen a piece of media to know it sucks and why it sucks! Getting an opinion second hand from a trusted source is often better. But if you want to have an original opinion and criticism of a work, particularly if you’re getting money for that criticism, then it is an essential requirement that your opinion isn’t second hand.

Davis, come on.

Kale

utterly not shocked. If you watch his trashumentary, he never actually allows her to speak, afaik, at least not much. Even that intro cuts off when she gets on stage. just wants to burn the witch.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

@What is a Man

What you said isn’t worth my time or effort, it’s bog-standard changing the subject, but I find myself wondering what you think is the answer to the question posed in your nick.

Jamesworkshop
Jamesworkshop

“I’ll save you the hassle and just tell you that it’s at 6 minutes and 20 seconds in. He gets both kicked and stabbed in the groin.”

Still his magnum opus.

kupo
kupo

@PoM
A miserable little pile of secrets?

Bina

What is a Moron:

Since when was #GamerGate a fan of his.

Since this is a question, why don’t you use a question mark — like this? Huh???

And in answer to your question: Why don’t you ask all the GG idiots who contributed to his Patreon? I’m sure they could all tell you exactly how long they’ve been his fans.

In the case of trolls like you, that might be true. However, it doesn’t pay to ASSume that everyone is like you.

“Lack of evidence”? Troll, PLEASE. All her videos present the evidence clearly. It’s not our fault if you don’t want to take it to heart. Why don’t you do yourself a favor and WATCH THE DAMN VIDEOS BEFORE YOU RAG ON HER?

Uh, her sources are the games themselves. Which you would know if you watched the videos.

But thanks for at least admitting that sexist games are shit. That’s the whole point!

Cheers!

Piss off.

Nequam
Nequam

@PoM: I suspect I know. But I’m not sure following up with “Have at you!” is worth the trouble.

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

@What Is A Man

Citations?

Here’s your citations!

Assuming of course that you are actually interested in her citations, and not just going for the “uninformed smug jackass” angle.

Happy reading!

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

Ooh, and, and:

Since when was #GamerGate a fan of his.

I know this one! They were fans of his when they gave him all that money! And that was true up until he was a laughingstock. After which point, they had never ever been fans of his and how dare you assume.

I think they’ve also always been at war with Eastasia.

Gaslighting 101!

the_real_Nick
the_real_Nick

@Policy of Madness

What he said is also impossible to parse.

He wants Feminist Frequency to present a sources cited list of the games already thoroughly cited within the videos themselves?

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

I assumed that what he wanted was some kind of proof that, for example, “the damsel in the refrigerator” trope is actually sexist. There’s nothing I can do with ignorance on that scale.

C.S.Strowbridge
C.S.Strowbridge

Happy reading!

You know he won’t even click on that link.

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

You know he won’t even click on that link.

I would be surprised if he even reads my post! I am just filled with optimism and the milk of human kindness. Also some sarcasm. But mostly optimism and kindness milk!

mcbender

I shouldn’t really be surprised, but somehow I am anyway. I want to laugh, but honestly, the fact that his fans will surely bend over backward to excuse such buffoonery is just too depressing…

Meanwhile, Anita’s still producing quality content. I’ve absolutely no regrets about contributing to her Kickstarter way back when. I’d love to know how people who gave these numbskulls money feel about it now.

Kale

well Ive seen every one of her videos, & clearly What Makes a Man has not, because a video consisting entirely of evidence of sexism contains evidence of sexism.

Gamergate in action folks.

“If you dont like a GGer, we can just say he isnt affiliated! That never gets old or anything!

OoglyBoggles
OoglyBoggles

@Kale
And they claim we use No True Scotsman when pointing out differences in feminist waves and people who are plain sexists that want the patriarchal structure flipped in their favor.

What is a Man
What is a Man

Since I see some people are a bit brain dead.

She cites that these games perpetuate sexism in real life.

Source please.

Her sources are the games?

Well that doesn’t much prove the real life consequences does it. That’s called an opinion.

This is being used in academia.

Source please.

I’ll wait. It’ll never happen though. You love the Prophet Sarkeesian too much there.

Listen and believe and good night.

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

@What Is A Man

Citations?

Here’s your citations!

Happy reading!

What is a Man
What is a Man

“Citations? You speak my language! I mean, sure, you’re speaking in a near-unintelligible snarl, but still!

Here’s your citations!

Scroll down to “Non-Fiction Books” and you’ll get a big batch of feminist literature upon which she bases her work! Almost like she, you know, does research or something!”

Entire books you say! So where in said books does it show the correlation and real life effects of fictional depictions perpetuation real world harm in our society with sexism and misogyny!

Or are you going to literally make me read thirty books and when I find no real world correlation or connection say I just didn’t read well enough.

I know another group of people who do that. They’re called Christians book of choice is the bible.

1 2 3 11