antifeminism entitled babies memes

Men Oppressed by Sleeves: A Memeday Special Report

sleeves
Dress code requires everyone to wear skirts, dude! Go home and change.

Never underestimate the ability of Men’s Rights Activists to get worked up over the most ridiculous nonsense.

I found the meme above on the Men’s Rights Australia Facebook page, accompanied by this explanation:

Women are allowed to wear whatever they like to work, including sleeveless tops, short skirts, and even thongs. Yet if a man were to wear sleeveless tops, shorts, or thongs you can be sure he’d be sent home from work or even fired. In summer men have to suffer in the heat wearing trousers, long sleeve shirts, and tie. Feminists claim they also care about inequalities facing men so why aren’t they fighting against this? -ms

YEAH FEMINISTS WHY AREN’T YOU FIGHTING AGAINST THIS TERRIBLE INJUSTICE, WOMEN NEVER HAVE TO WEAR ANYTHING UNCOMFORTABLE OR AWKWARD AT WORK 0h wait

Note: I should point out that the “thongs” being referenced aren’t the ones that ride up your butt, but rather are the ones you wear on your feet and that are also called flip flops, at least here in the US.

BONUS MEME: This isn’t a Men’s Rights meme, obviously, but it literally made me laugh out loud.

communism

Apparently the best way to fight communism is to do nothing while the oceans rise. I guess the Communists have their secret bases on the Marshall Islands?

I’m reminded of this legendary toilet paper ad.

2439695420_ce0033c184_o

A spectre is haunting the bathroom — the spectre of really really scratchy toilet paper.

Sarah
Sarah

The woman could be wearing a longer skirt or pants and some long sleeves or a jacket, and you know the men would be complaining about how she’s dressing too prudishly and should loosen up and show more skin.

Kat
Kat

I welcome any man who feels oppressed by their work attire to try a day wearing a short skirt and high heels.

Two words, dudes: thigh sweat.

Monzach
Monzach

For those Mammotheers who, like me, were initially surprised at the problem of people wearing thongs to the workplace, allow me to remind you that “thongs” in Australia mean “flipflops” and not the naughty underwear.

Tulse
Tulse

I wish you hadn’t clarified that, as it was giving me very strange ideas about Australian office dress codes.

iknklast
iknklast

Where I work, a man showing up with a tie would probably be stared at. The men these days tend to wear polo shirts in many work situations, and t-shirts in a lot of them. Suits usually mark you immediately as administration or as someone born before WWII. Meanwhile, a woman showing up without a bra is probably in trouble. And flip-flops? Where do women wear flip flops to work, except in places where the attire is totally casual, in which case men can wear them, as well?

Short skirts, on the other hand, often have one of two outcomes. They can (1) get you promoted; or (2) keep you from ever being promoted. If (1), it usually means you aren’t being thought of as competent but as a body. If (2), it may mean that they somehow think legs and brains are for some strange reason incompatible.

Wwaxwork
Wwaxwork

Hell let men wear what the women wear, once they see how much more that tiny little shirt cost compared to their sleeved one & the fact that tiny skirt was probably 4 times the price of his pair of pants he’ll be falling over himself to wear a pants & a shirt. Womens clothes are not cheap in Australia.

My favorite part of moving to the USA from Australia was unlimited refills on drinks & all the clothes I could buy. I am shallow I admit it.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

I’d send that guy on the right home because it’s clearly a mannequin.

Viscaria
Viscaria

Mind reader over here knows exactly what women want! How wonderful! I want to wear a pair of fucking jeans and a Star Wars shirt to work on a Wednesday. Can I do that? With my magical powers of womanhood?

Joel
Joel

With the sleeveless sorry it makes me think “so you even lift bro”

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

I’d send him home because he has his top button fastened even though he isn’t wearing a tie. Scandalous.

Moggie
Moggie

But remember, it’s totally feminists who complain about trivial stuff.

I think you could only wear flip-flops to work if your office is DIRECTLY ON THE BEACH.

Wetherby
Wetherby

Last time I worked in an office, I wore short-sleeved shirts all the time in summer without even the merest whisper of complaint. Unsurprisingly, because it was perfectly normal.

Anyway, if women are forced to wear long sleeves, how will MRAs and PUAs be able to assess her wrist circumference from a discreet distance?

Terrabeau
Terrabeau

Thanks for that note, David. I was already wondering what kind of weird office this guy worked at where they had a policy on G-strings.

That being said, where, if ever, does this happen? I’ve never worked anywhere that enforced a dress code, let alone one as stuck in the 1950’s as this meme is. I mean, there were reasonable limits for professionalism, but I can hardly imagine anyone being fired over it.

Lea
Lea

Is he wearing a bra?
Make up?
Heels?
Then how can he look professional?

Amused

I am all for having MRA’s wear what I wear to work. Skirt suits, blouses, bras, panty hose and high heels. And then read interminable think pieces about whether it’s appropriate to take the jacket off back at the office, because cream-colored blouses are sheer enough to betray a faint outline of your bra and maybe even your nipples if someone stares at your chest real hard. Which glossy women’s magazines assume male coworkers do, and it’s women’s duty to deal with the problem. “Like a professional.”

Terrabeau
Terrabeau

@Wwaxwork

Also, that man’s shirt from the picture? I’m putting in a conservative estimate of $200, seeing as how it’s probably from a big fashion house. It’s not like you’re going to find a button-down sleeveless shirt at your local H&M.

EDIT: Found the source. Showing just how conservative my estimate was, it turns out it’s a $350 Lanvin. Not really what you’d consider every-day office wear.

Carr
Carr

Where can women wear flip-flops to work? I don’t get it, these people would complain if women said it’s okay for guys to wear skirts if they want to, but at the same time they complain they can’t wear what they want to work.

I think ”damned if you do, damned if you don’t” is their strategy. You just can’t win, because they keep changing ”the rules” of the argument/their opinion.

magnesium
magnesium

Granted I haven’t worked in an office with a dress code in almost a decade, but I can’t imagine anyone getting sent home for such a thing. Maybe a quick “Hey, don’t forget to dress business casual” email or something. Office dress codes have sort of all been replaced with office scent free policies, I think. Although I think my upcoming position might have a dress code… Or the interviewers just liked to dress nice. I should probably find out about that.

Amused

Speaking of “thongs”. I only ever wore flip-flops to the office in my last month of pregnancy, and only because my feet swelled up so much, I literally couldn’t cram them into ANY shoes. Remarkably, one of my bosses had the gall to comment on my inappropriate footwear. Which I counteracted with a comment about the appropriateness of asking me to come to work in my ninth freakin’ month. But of course, MRA douchebros would say that women are privileged to be allowed to work while heavily pregnant, whereas no such courtesy is extended to men.

Michael P
Michael P

I am so damn envious of you guys who don’t have dress codes. I work for accountants, so it’s long-sleeve button-down and tie four days out of the week (yay for jeans and no tie on Friday).

That said, the professional dress code here applies to women as well as men. It’s mostly sensible blouses/skirts and pantsuits around here. I don’t know that any slut-shaming would go on if the skirt were too short or the blouses were sleeveless (just started in January, so haven’t seen how people dress in summer yet), but I doubt it, because people here don’t seem like assholes. I would imagine flip-flops would be frowned upon.

My last job was also at an accounting firm, and while our department had a business casual code, there were some issues with women wearing sweats or yoga pants to work.

Just some anecdotal data.

As for why feminists aren’t fighting against the tyranny of male dress codes, I dunno, maybe because they’re still busy working on the whole equal work for equal pay and birth control/bodily autonomy things?

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

I can wear flip flop at work every day if I want, and so do everyone, men and women, at my office. Dress code aren’t men-specific anyway.

Citizen Justin

I was a British Civil Servant for 20 years. People thought we all drank tea and wore suits. The sleeveless shirt might have colleagues wondering if the wearer was gay (unless he really was and everyone knew already), but neither of these would have resulted in being sent home.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

And then they go into an air-conditioned office, where the thermostat is set at a crisp 68 degrees under the assumption that all employees are wearing pants and long-sleeved shirts, and it’s the women that are shivering and complaining. We have had many conversations about this in my workplace.

They should be glad this isn’t the 1930s, when men routinely wore ties, wool suits, and hats everywhere, even to baseball games.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

Today is a “casual Friday”, so I’m the only person wearing a suit here. I’m usually the only person with a tie, too. I quite like formal clothes, especially three-piece suits.

Viscaria
Viscaria

I tend to wear a lot of dresses to work, mostly because I’m lazy and it’s just a single garment. I can get dressed in the dark! The dresses I wear look like, I dunno, this:

Here is a much longer dress, with sleeves, that would be utterly inappropriate for work:

Explain, wise and all-knowing meme maker.

I’m engaged in a continual conversation with my new boss, who’s not an idiot and on the whole is pretty open and progressive, about the fact that his personal idea of what specific items of women’s clothes are ‘businesslike’ and ‘professional’ and what aren’t isn’t a universal standard. I sent him this to help him understand the kinds of things women need to think about when putting on clothes in the morning:

Also re office A/C, I only found out last year that it is in fact true that building temperatures are set for ‘normal people’, and guess who those are:

Viscaria
Viscaria

I should have included this one, too:

That’s a short, sleeveless dress that wouldn’t be appropriate for my office. Is it possible, Great Understander of Dress Codes and Reader of Female Minds, that there are concerns other than hemline and sleeve length that might determine what women are permitted to wear in different situations?

I grabbed all of these from Le Chateau, by the way, which is my absolute favourite place in the world to get dresses. I don’t know if they operate outside of Canada…

Wwaxwork
Wwaxwork

@ Terrabeau I . .. wow .. . I. I know Australian offices tend to dress more formally than they do in the US, or they did 6 years ago when I lived there, but I can’t imagine any of the guys I worked with spending that on a shirt, with or without sleeves. I mean more power to them if they want to, but using a sample size of my husband he won’t pay more than US$40 for what he calls a “nice” shirt & he’ll only shop at Sams’ Club for them.

Emmy Rae
Emmy Rae

EJ, do you tuck your mane into your suit, or fluff it out over the shoulders?

kale
kale

When I was 18 we had a special event at work and my boss asked my to dress nice (it was data wntry so we just wore jeans and stuff). On my mom’s advice, I wore a skirt. I hate skirts, mind you. My boss looked at me and said “women know what they’re doing when you dress like that.” I was so creeped out and mortified.
Im trans, so when I cut my hair and started dreasing like a dude – I found out that it was much harder to get hired that way. So I had to switch back to looking more like someone who is at least trying to pretend to be a cis woman. Because I need to eat. Currently Ove been told not to cut my hair too short specifically because Im female.
If my mom went into work in anything less than make up and heels and all that, people would have a problem with it. If a woman like Hillary Clinton (who I dislike due to her rape apologia but nevermind that) wore what men wore, she would be ridiculed & mistreated. Yet women are still mistreated for wearing what men insist we wear. Its a no-win situation. & for women, the consequence is sexual harassment being excused.
but men are so oppressed.

ColeYote
ColeYote

Yeah, thong thing confuses me until you clarified it. Cultural differences; it’s why you’ll get weird stares over there for calling something a fanny pack.

kale
kale

@guest
that article was great.
“There is no unmarked woman.”
yup. no matter what women wear, they are “marked” as women – as lesser, as different.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

@Emmy:
I wear my mane cut quite short so it usually doesn’t get in the way. I used to have it shoulder-length, which was great fun but required too much maintenance.

@kale:
Hugs. Gender binaries and gender conformity can fuck right off, as can asshats policing what women wear.

Viscaria
Viscaria

Kale, you totally reminded me of my mom’s stories of working in a “man’s” corporate job in the 80s, and how important it was to both look feminine, because that’s what women do, but also not too feminine, because then you’re a silly girl and don’t deserve any respect. You don’t want to be mistaken for one of the secretaries, do you??*

Of course, she’s cis, so she didn’t have to deal with that whole element :-/

*As the modern equivalent of a secretary, by the way, here’s a big fuck you to anyone who has ever said anything like that.

kale
kale

@EJ

do you ever wear a marshmellow suit?

(for those who dont get the reference, look up Lafcadio)

Emmy Rae
Emmy Rae

Now I want to see a lion in a suit.

@guest, great article. I’ll be thinking about that for a while.

hugseverycat
hugseverycat

This is just so typical of men’s rights “activists”. They only bring up their issues in order to accuse feminists of being hypocrites for not championing those causes (or not championing them visibly enough).

It’s like, dude, you don’t need feminists to do this advocacy for you. You can absolutely argue for less formal dress codes for men. I encourage you to do activism on this front.

But they don’t really care about that, they care about sticking it to feminists.

If they actually tried to do any activism around changing dress codes for men, they might be surprised at the level of support they’d get from women.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

I’m curious now as to what the Australians call the underwear then?

(Reminds me of my similar confusion over the UK and US versions of ‘tank top’)

Me and not you
Me and not you

Wait, does that mean I’m being repressed because I have to wear pants and closed toe shoes to the lab? Damn you OSHA!

Viscaria
Viscaria

Is a UK tank top a top with a picture of a tank on it?

Dalillama

@Viscaria
I invite UK Mammotheers to correct me, but as I understand it, the garment called a vest in the States is called a tank top across the pond, and vice versa.

@Alan

I’m curious now as to what the Australians call the underwear then?

G-string, I assume.

A Space Alpaca
A Space Alpaca

See it sucks that men have to sweat in a full suit in summer, but they also don’t have to buy literally 3 different shirts just to keep warm through the A/C because women’s work clothes are made of gauze and hope.

Also pockets, I don’t care how uncomfortable your tie is, you have pockets and I don’t and you probably have no idea how much of a pain in the ass that can be.

Also I mean, I guess the idea of having more clothing choices is kind of nice, but it also means that I have to go through the effort of building an outfit every morning, rather than being able to get away with wearing literally the same clothes every day if I seriously wanted to.

I am inclined to ask why THEY aren’t doing anything about it, feminists are a little busy pushing back against school dress codes that sexualize underage girls and enforce the idea that boys can’t control themselves in the presence of bra straps.

GenJones
GenJones

I seem to recall that feminists and progressives have actively campaigned against oppressive male dress codes in schools. But if adult men in a voluntary situation have an issue, they should be able to self-advocate.

That being said, I live in a desert where the summer temperatures can get pretty extreme. My advice to these guys:
The key to staying cool is keeping the sun off your skin and dressing in light, breathable material and a hat. You are better off with full coverage than nothing. There is a practical reason traditional desert garb usually covers the entire body and head. Exposing skin in the summer will not help you cool down, but it does invite sunburn. Keep those rads away.

Health PSA:
Seriously, to anyone who exposes a lot of skin in the summer, you need to be covering up with SPF 50. Melanoma is the most common form of cancer under 40 and it has been rising dramatically among young adults, mainly due to tanning beds, but also partly because of kids thinking they’re too cool for sunscreen.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ viscaria

Ooh, it would be so cool if it was.

I wonder if there is some connection with tankers. Not sure why they’d want to wear a sleeveless jumper with a stripey pattern in battle, but they are a weird lot.

(I only recently found out bomber jackets were so called because they were actually worn by bomber crews)

Men suffer wearing jackets in the summer! No mention of women having to wear cocktail dresses to formal events in the evening.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw
Dalillama

@ A Space Alpaca

Oh my yes. Partner has actually made me several skirts with pockets recently, which are very handy.

I’ve seen a couple stories about male politicians wearing the same suit for months on end, to make a point about how the media always hounds female politicians about their clothes.

@ Alan Robertshaw

I wonder if there is some connection with tankers

I used to think so (keeping in mind that in the U.S. the term refers to a sleeveless undershirt), on account of the heat inside of one, but it turns out the term is derived from ‘tank suit’, a one piece swimming suit for swimming in a tank, or a pool as we now say.

ETA:Yes, that’s what we in the States would call a vest, or sweater vest.

Dalillama

This is what Yanks mean

(I don’t know how to post images here apparently)

Johanna

@Viscaria – I’m an admin asst and had to deal with some cracks about being a secretary, too. I always tell the jokers that the word literally means “keeper of secrets” and they do realize that I’m the one who controls access to the vacation calendar and whether their time cards get into the system, right? The jokes always stop after that.

Never annoy an assistant. All of your business flights will suddenly be routed through active war zones and the thermostat in your office will never work in your favor again (smart admins make strategic alliances with the facitilies crew).

And Le Chateau is still in business? Awesome! As a teenager in 1980’s New England, I loved that store. So they used to operate outside of Canada, but no idea if that’s still the case.

1 2 3 12