antifeminism memes MRA straw feminists

I say “tomato,” you say “feminism is cancer,” let’s call the whole thing off!

The dictionary definition of "tomato" didn't warn me about this!
The dictionary definition of “tomato” didn’t warn me about this!

Men’s Rights Activists and other antifeminists always hate it when feminists point them to dictionary definitions of feminism as “the advocacy of equal rights for men and women” (or similar) rather than “a seekrit cabal of evil spermjacking sluts that want to genocide all men,” which is what all MRAs apparently think feminism really is.

In the meme below, one anti-feminist tries to prove that dictionary definitions aren’t always right so there, and if the dictionary can get “tomato” wrong then it must have feminism wrong too!

tomatomeme

Aw, dude. You tried. But apparently you didn’t bother to check the dictionary definition of “tomato” first. Here’s what you get if you type the words “tomato definition” into Google.

to·ma·to təˈmādō/ noun 1. a glossy red, or occasionally yellow, pulpy edible fruit that is typically eaten as a vegetable or in salad. 2. the South American plant of the nightshade family that produces this fruit. It is widely grown as a cash crop, and many varieties have been developed.D’oh!

Michael Brew
Michael Brew

I can sort of sympathize with the mistrust of dictionary definitions when it comes to accurately describing a nuanced concept, though. I’ve seen enough people point to the dictionary to insist that some terrible thing they do/support isn’t really terrible because it’s not described that way in the dictionary. Nevermind that the makers of dictionaries are merely attempting to catalogue how terms are commonly used, which can miss specialized uses or new conceptualizations.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

And yet, if you call an MRA a homophobe, transphobe or Islamophobe or tell him that you can’t be sexist against men or racist against white people, he’ll immediately pull a dictionary out of his ass.

kupo
kupo

They can also be green, brown, orange, and purple. I love tomatoes. And feminists. But not that disgusting thing at the top of the post. Everyone knows this is the best aspic:

comment image

Also, since we’re having fun with old recipe cards: http://vintagerecipecards.com

Social Justice Atheist
Social Justice Atheist

A fruit is the part of the plant with seeds so by definition, a tomato is a fruit. The dictionary is right. And yes, people USE it as a vegetable but that doesn’t scientifically make it so. If asked in a science class, you would still say a tomato is a fruit. Because it is. So are peppers. Not all fruits are sweet.

And some very very few feminists (TERFS come to mind) do genuinely hate men. But they are a very, very small minority and most do not hate men at all whatsoever. If you think about it though, anybody with any label could hate men. Even people who don’t call themselves feminists. So their point is kind of moot.

However, I do understand not trusting the dictionary definition of things entirely. I mean, I’m sure the dictionary definition of MRAs is something like, “People who are for men’s rights” or something like that, even though that is not true at all. They are just against rights for women.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

Ah, argumentam ad dictionarium. In the list of arguments-that-are-tacit-admissions-of-defeat, it’s second only to ex rectum.

Also, OED no longer has any moral high ground when it comes to defining the language. Their Word of the Year 2014 was the “crying with laughter” emoji. Anyone attempting to use OED as an authority from this point forward has ceded the discussion.

weirwoodtreehugger

They have a point in that dictionary definitions aren’t particularly useful in describing a social movement or prejudices in context of our culture. As others have said, they love to pull out the race neutral definition in the dictionary to try and claim that racism against white people is a thing.

Of course, MRAs have utterly failed to prove that the dictionary definition of feminism is incorrect. They’ve never really shown that it’s about oppressing men. I just think it’s pointless to show the dictionary definition. They’re making the extraordinary claim, they need to provide proof. We don’t need to disprove them at all.

What’s everyone’s favorite tomato based sauce or dish? I think I’m going to have to go with salsa. Unless pizza counts as a tomato based dish. Then I choose that.

RosieLa
RosieLa

What is aspic? Please define. My dictionary fell into flames when an MRA looked at it to try to prove me wrong.

As for favourite tomato dish? Salsa. Not the stuff that is essentially spicy tomato sauce, but pico de gallo or salsa fresca. If you need me I’ll be off drooling and dreaming about it.

Moggie
Moggie

Is there such a book as “cooking with H. P. Lovecraft”? Because that tomato aspic picture looks like it belongs there.

Also, meme dude, citation needed on the North Korea thing. Outside of the DPRK itself, I don’t think you’ll find a dictionary which baldly defines it as a democratic people’s republic, rather than observing that that is the official Anglicised name. Maybe you should look up “dictionary”, since I think you’re unclear on the whole concept.

Fabe
Fabe

What’s everyone’s favorite tomato based sauce or dish?

If we don’t count tomato sauce, toasted bacon and tomato sandwiches I guess

If we do count tomato sauce then I guess pizza.

Jamesworkshop
Jamesworkshop

Dictionaries contain definitions of words and not meanings of words.

Life
The condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death:

but that’s not the meaning of life, this is…

Social Justice Atheist
Social Justice Atheist

I like tomatoes and most tomato products (pizza and pasta, salsa, etc.) but for some reason I really hate ketchup.

C.S.Strowbridge
C.S.Strowbridge

MRAs are just not smart. It would be funny, if they weren’t so dangerous.

Fabe
Fabe

This nice,a place where ponies can be posted and with the exception of outside trolls no one is going to post anything ‘rule 34-y’ and no one will get offended by people posting ponies.

Matchstick
Matchstick

@kupo that’s not a foodstuff it’s CTHULHU !

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

“It’s a fruit, but people use it as a vegetable!” is only a mind-bending paradox or an illogical statement if you also think “it’s a tuber, but people use it as a vegetable!” or “it’s a stem, but people use it as a vegetable!” are illogical paradoxes.

There is no scientific definition for a “vegetable.” That’s because “vegetable” is a cooking term, not a botanical one. Virtually every plant part is called a vegetable for some species or other. Using a tomato as a vegetable in cooking does not change its scientific status as a fruit, because these are completely different ways of describing a tomato in completely different contexts that have no connection to one another.

So we can see that this MRA is actually giving us helpful advice! If you see a woman who can be described as a “man-hater” and also as a “feminist,” it’s useful to remember that these are completely different ways to describe her in completely different contexts that have no connection whatsoever! Her feminism and her man-hating are unrelated!

Thanks, MRAs!

mockingbird
mockingbird

@Fabe – That’s because ponies are awesome. Just watched the new season’s first two episodes with my little one. Alicorn babies FTW!

WWTH – I’m not sure if this qualifies, but my absolute favorite thing to do with a tomato is grow a tasty-ass heirloom variety*, take a tomato straight off the vine, slice it, put it on lightly toasted bread with a liiiittle bit of mayo, sprinkle with a dash of salt and pepper, and have a nearly orgasmic sandwich experience.

*It doesn’t have to be heirloom, it just shouldn’t be one of the tasteless, grainy monstrosities usually grown to to stay pretty while being shipped.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

Ratatouille! OMFG gazpacho !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

::passes out and probably dies a terrible death from severe ratatouille and gazpacho deprivation::

::revives just enough to whisper, in close-up and over a deeply moving orchestral sound-track:: and pizza!

Saphira
Saphira

I just looked up “aspic” and I shouldn’t have. I saw pictures of whole fish in jelly. Whole fish by themselves are disturbing enough when you’re someone like me who prefers their fish to be in more of a fillet form that doesn’t resemble the animal it came from. Putting it in jelly just turns it into more of a nightmare.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Aspic creations don’t have to look horrifying. At their best, they are beautiful, like food suspended in glass. Here’s an especially nice one: http: //cdn.gingerandtomato.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/filename19.jpg

I like this one, too.

Of course, you don’t want to put that shit in your mouth, but it’s pleasing to the eyes!

eta: getting that first link to not embed was ridiculously hard, so I broke it.

Social Justice Atheist
Social Justice Atheist

I looked up “aspic” too just now. Ewewewew so much food just floating around in clear gelatin. Just…blegh. I couldn’t bring myself to even try that, and I am pretty adventurous with trying different foods.

The way they look is kinda cool, but definitely not something I would ever want to eat. I don’t think you could pay me honestly.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

Yeah, people who would look to a dictionary to define idelogies, social movements, philosophical concepts, etc, are usually not very bright. These are people who demand that everything be simple enough to explain in fewer than 20 words. We know that MRAs, and conservatives in general, don’t like nuance and complicated issues.

I’ve seen people perform the weirdest mental gymnastics when appealing to dictionary definitions. I once had a discussion online with someone who appealed to a one-word definition of a broad philosophical concept, while dismissing encyclopedias with much more detailed explanations. Later, he also dismissed other dictionaries in favor of the one dictionary he had appealed to. Finally, he claimed that only dictionaries in physical book form were trustworthy. Even the online versions of dictionaries that do exist in book form were dismissed. Conclusion: appealing to a dictionary definition is what you do when you’re too lazy to really learn anything.

I find tomatoes by themselves pretty disgusting, but my fav tomato based dishes are tomato & basil soup, and shakshuka.

Gipsz Jakab
Gipsz Jakab

@mockingbird

About the season premiere: it also has to be said that Sunburst is an adorable nerd, and needs more screentime.

lightcastle
lightcastle

Dictionaries are actually excellent places to get definitions of things. How they are used, how they are used historically, how they have evolved and changed. But they have been descriptive focused for years now. (The days of explicitly political dictionaries are mostly done.)

But yes, the lexical definitions are never going to be the entirety, especially once you get into jargon, political redefinition, and activist movements. As imaginary petal writes, they are the short form understanding of the thing – the general sense, which is almost never enough once you get into philosophical concepts, ideologies, and such.

That doesn’t mean they are *wrong*, though. That means they are what most people understand when you say the word. It’s why all these “the real definition” fights are so frustrating. Very often both sides are correct – the term is used in more than one way. You don’t get anywhere insisting yours is the “real” one, you only can discuss it as more relevant or more useful or sometimes even just the one that is at stake in the conversation.

TL;DR – Dictionaries are great, but when you are using a stipulative definition instead of a lexical one, you need to get everyone on board with that.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Unrelated to anything: My fire alarm keeps going off (there’s no fire, it’s just full of cobwebs) and the little tab to open it snapped off. Which means I just have to put up with BEEP BEEP FUCKING BEEP until the maintenance guys wake up in four hours.

*@!*$%$^@&*#*$#!$…

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

I think I’d apply percussive maintenance to a smoke detector I couldn’t shut up any other way.

Here’s a fun smoke detector story:

BritterSweet

Knowledge is knowing tomatoes are fruit.

Wisdom is knowing not to put them in fruit salad.

Philosophy is wondering if this means ketchup is technically a smoothie.

But yeah SJA beat me to defining what a fruit is. Most people tend to assume fruit = sweet plant, but by definition of what plant part a fruit is, tomatoes, bell peppers, eggplant, pumpkins and cucumbers are all fruit. Vegetable just means you eat any other part of the plant (stem, root, leaves).

…so does this mean if you make a salad with just cucumbers, tomatoes and bell peppers, is that a fruit salad?

BritterSweet

In political news, yesterday was Hawaii’s Democratic Preference poll. I couldn’t make it despite being registered because I had to work until 5, and the locations closed at 3 despite the democratic website saying that there is no official closing time. Some voters were actually turned away because of the high turnout. But at least the one I wanted to vote for, Bernie Sanders, still won.

GenJones
GenJones

There are some people who use Buddhism to justify intolerance and violence, does that mean the rest of Buddhism is inherently wrong?

Oh wait, MRA’s have violent hateful extremists on their side too, I guess they just proved their own movement is invalid. See what happens when you set sloppy precedents?

Dalillama

@SJA
I’ve known a number of people whose problem with ketchup is that it’s too sweet. You might enjoy an unsweetened ketchup.

TheRoseHipster
TheRoseHipster

I think my favourite tomato dish is a small bowl of grape tomatoes, which I just finished before clicking on this post.

I do despise tomato ketchup for its oversweetness, though I have enjoyed spicy banana ketchup in the past.

Dictionaries are… really a terrible source for a nuanced subject, for one. Also they describe how a word was used at the time the dictionary was compiled, as opposed to actually prescribing a meaning, which should be obvious by the fact that word meanings change, and yet.

I’m also curious as to how dictionary fetishists are handling the inclusion of singular they these days, as I know that was one of the usual whines about why the term is somehow wrong.

Skiriki
Skiriki

I actually like basil – white onion/red onion – tomato – mozzarella salad. Just slice everything nice and thin and layer them, drizzle with olive oil, possibly add some good-quality olives too and I’d chuck in some garlic cloves marinated in oil as well.

Also:

Social Justice Atheist
Social Justice Atheist

@Dalillama

Yep, that’s the exact reason I don’t like ketchup. It’s too sweet and has a sort of “tang” to it that I don’t like. I haven’t tried unsweetened ketchup before. Perhaps I would like it, since I do like pizza and pasta sauce and salsa. And tomato soup.

I guess I like more of a salty or savory taste to my tomato products rather than sweet, but I like some pizza sauces that taste sort of sweet. Regular ketchup just tastes sickly sweet to me.

WeirwoodTreeHugger
WeirwoodTreeHugger

Right now the men are in the kitchen working and us women are loafing in the living room drinking wine.

EASTER MISANDRY

jy3, Social Justice Beguiler
jy3, Social Justice Beguiler

My favorite tomato-based dish? Probably pasta with arrabbiata and vegetable meatballs.

Iseult The Idle
Iseult The Idle

It’s just another gambit of “What they say is… but what they MEAN is…” without ever really considering what we say, or honestly weighing its value.

I make a kickass salsa. Can’t wait for summer!

A good tomato bisque soup is a complement to any sandwich.

Friendly Neighborhood Dragon Arthur
Friendly Neighborhood Dragon Arthur

I should be tending to Easter things, not to things dealing with tomatoes and how MRA guys are afraid of eating their vegetables as they are afraid of women.

@WeirwoodTreeHugger

My aunt and I decided to just soak the ham in a rum-based marinade as it cooks in the oven.

kupo
kupo

My favorite tomato-based dish:

Make it in summer with fresh tomatoes and sweet onions from the farmer’s market. I love it with a mix of orange and yellow tomatoes and Walla Walla sweet onions.

TheDreadVampy
TheDreadVampy

Tomato-based curries are one of my favourite things, even if I’m not generally a tomato fan. In fact right now I’m waiting for my pathia to reduce. I’m a big believer that even when you’re living in poverty you’ll always be ok for food as long as you can keep yourself stocked up on tinned tomatoes, onion and rice (and a good range of herbs and spices).

I also love cherry tomatoes. My mum used to grow them in the house and we’d just pop them off the tree and eat them, or my dad would fry them up as part of a full English breakfast. Gorgeous.

Funkula
Funkula

Read another way, the statement is correct:

The dictionary says “a tomato is a fruit but people use it as a vegetable.”

Because that’s almost exactly what the dictionary excerpt says.

epitome of incomprehensibility

I like homemade ketchup (or rather the stuff I get in a jar that calls itself homemade ketchup): there are tomato chunks and other things, so I guess it’s more like a chutney or antipasto (or non-spicy salsa). And it’s not too sweet.

Speaking of dictionary definitions: I have a large vocabulary, but it’s not a practical one. I can tell you what “metonymy” and “ineluctable” mean, but when I try to describe real-life objects, I end up going “that thing there that does such a thing and attaches to this other thing…”

Today I learned what bay windows are (a set of windows that jut out from a building) and what bow windows are (bay windows in a curved space). (Wikipedia link.)

How does my mother know this??? Did she go to some school for Names of Obscure Objects??

BritterSweet

Just found this. Bananas are berries and strawberries are not? Walnuts are not nuts? WHAT?!

Luzbelitx

Hi everyone. Had eye surgery few days ago. Fo nit computer much.

Capresse salad!

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

I’m going to defy the guy in BritterSweet’s video and be that pedantic person: a vegetable is defined by how you use it in cookery. There’s no scientific definition of “vegetable” restricting it to stems, leaves and roots. There is no scientific definition of “vegetable” at all. The definition is entirely culinary, and depends equally on the style of cooking in which you are using the plant, and the cultural tradition in which you live.

Culinary definitions and scientific definitions don’t have to match, because they both use the same language but for different purposes. Strawberries are, in culinary terms, berries, and nobody has to feel bad or stupid for referring to them as such, even though botany has a different term for them.

Using “science” as a weapon for making you feel stupid for using English in the usual way is not cool and I do not approve.

Jamesworkshop
Jamesworkshop

@mockingbird

comment image?w=584

Aglet. Gunwale. Escutcheon. Monocoque.

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

I’m just going to say that German has some of the best words the English language has ever borrowed.

Backpfeifengesicht is currently my favorite.

Nobody Special
Nobody Special

jy3, Social Justice Beguiler, I’m pretty certain that it is impossible to make meatballs out of vegetables; made from vegetarian animals maybe, but not from vegetables.
Please tell me how you achieve this paradoxical feat of culinary magic.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

So, because the official definition and the fuckwit definition of “feminism” diverge, the fuckwit version should prevail because tomato?

Technically, tomatoes are part of the nightshade family (as are all fruits that have those cute little elfin green hats, like eggplants). But we still eat them and they’re delicious and tasty and good for you in all kinds of ways. Only fearful ninnies look at femi – er, tomatoes and shriek “POISON!”

Iseult The Idle
Iseult The Idle

@Nobody Special, vegetable meatballs just sound better than vegetable balls.

Slutty Miss Havisham Penguin briefly known as Nady
Slutty Miss Havisham Penguin briefly known as Nady

@weirwoodtreehugger
Well my dad cooked Easter dinner. (Lamb done to perfection.) And he is very proud of it. Is that misandry? (He does the majority of cooking as my mum and I work very anti-social hours. Care work is very flexible in the bad way.) 😀

1 2 3 4