drama reddit TROOOLLLL!! trump

In dumbest Internet drama ever, “Tim and Eric” subreddit torn apart by Donald Trump

Like Donald Trump, Tim and Eric like putting orange stuff on their faces
Like Donald Trump, Tim and Eric like putting orange stuff on their faces

In what is either the most ridiculous Internet drama ever or a giant unfunny joke, one of the mods of a subreddit devoted to the weirdo comedy duo Tim and Eric temporarily shuttered the forum in a fit of pique after the Tim portion of the comedy duo made fun of Donald Trump on Twitter.

And so, for a time, this is what greeted visitors to the forum:

timeric

The subreddit opened again this afternoon, with a post from one of the mods asking regulars how they felt about “throwing [the subreddit’s] weight behind Trump’s campaign?”

Subreddit Direction RE: Trump (self.TimAndEric) submitted 2 hours ago by sugardick[M] - STICKIED POST Hi guys. Lately I've been receiving a lot of mod mail regarding the direction this sub is taking. As many of you will be aware, regular contributors and content makers of this sub gather in an AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) chatroom on the fourth Friday of every month to discuss all things related to Tim & Eric and this subreddit. Recently, a few of the sub's "power users" (you know who you are!) have been floating the idea of promoting Donald Trump's election campaign and have toyed with the sub's appearence as means of prompting that discussion. There have been long winded and laboured debates from both sides in those chatrooms. Every one of you will be aware of the connection between T&E and Trump at this point and you won't have far to dig through Tim's twitter account and youtube videos to get his feelings on the matter. What I'd like to do is take this opportunity to gauge the feelings of the wider /r/TimAndEric community because I know some of you don't attend the chats--a few of you have your reasons and I respect that, but anyway. How does this subreddit feel about throwing its weight behind Trump's campaign?

If this is all some elaborate joke, it appears that most of the subreddit regulars aren’t in on it — and neither is Tim Heidecker. The subreddit is now filled with angry sniping about the (possibly not serious) proposal, and there’s a thread devoted to the proposition that the mods should be “stripped of their duties, titles, and forever banned from this subreddit.”

I don’t know what to think of it all, but in doing my half-assed research for this post I discovered that Tim now has a cooking show. Well, not so much “cooking” as “stirring,” and not so much a show as a couple of YouTube videos. So enjoy this recipe for cocktail sauce!

H/T — r/BestOfOutrageCulture

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

One of the morons whining about this on Twitter calls himself Poop Buttington.

I have a sneaking suspicion that half of Trump’s fanboys aren’t actually old enough to vote.

Redsilkphoenix
Redsilkphoenix

Who are Tim and Eric? I’ve never heard of them before now.

At any rate, if these guys are supposed to be comedians of some sort, isn’t it their job to make fun of public figures, so long as the jokes don’t get too personal? Or did I miss a memo someplace?

Rabukurafuto
Rabukurafuto

For a moment there I was afraid that Heidecker or Wareheim came out as pro-Trump. Very glad to see that Heidecker was mocking Trump. I’d be very sad otherwise. Anyway, fuck this guy; Tim & Eric don’t need these assholes as fans.

Who are Tim and Eric? I’ve never heard of them before now.

A surreal comedy duo with a very polarizing brand of humor.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

The projection is strong with that mod. Another case of “my political beliefs are more important than anything you do.”

Social Justice Atheist
Social Justice Atheist

Tim and Eric? Those people with that weirdish show on Adult Swim?

Never actually seen the show before so I couldn’t say what it’s about or anything, but I have seen commercials for it on AS. I didn’t think it was well-known or anything. Is it? Weird.

Rabukurafuto
Rabukurafuto

Tim and Eric? Those people with that weirdish show on Adult Swim?

I went to a live show of theirs once and was astonished how huge the audience was. They get a lot of hate online but seem to have a pretty healthy fanbase. I should be disappointed that Trump fans like them too, but now that I think about it, his campaign is practically a Tim & Eric sketch for real. With more racism and misogyny.

magnesium
magnesium

Ah, so that one is Tim. The other guy is on Master of None and I keep referring to him as “Tim and Eric”. The only thing they ever did that I actually found funny was the Celery Man video with Paul Rudd.

Anyways, I’m convinced that at least half of Trump’s “supporters” aren’t actually planning to vote for him. They’re just channers who think supporting him is funny.

Social Justice Atheist
Social Justice Atheist

@Rabukurafuto

Really? That’s cool. I just didn’t realize they were so well-know, I figured they were a more obscure comedy duo. But I’m glad to know that they, themselves, are not asshat Trump supporters. Even though some of their fans may be.

It seems like Trump supporters are trying to take over more and more things these days. They’re like some kind of gross, bigoted virus, spreading far and wide.

Judas Peckerwood

How does this subreddit feel about throwing its weight behind Trump’s campaign?

That’s it, game over.

Tessa
Tessa

Soooooo your average Tim and Eric joke…

dreemr
dreemr

I remember them from Adult Swim, they had a couple of different shows, T&E Awesome Show Great Job! and Tom Goes to the Mayor. They were pretty popular in the 2000s.

I watched them a few times, not particularly my taste but they had some funny bits. Kind of a spiritual successor to Kids in the Hall imo. Very surreal. John C. Reilly made a number of appearances on their show, and a few other minor celebrities. I don’t think they’re “fill 10,000-seat stadiums” popular but they definitely have a fan base.

Bina

You are losing a lot of what FEW fans you have.

FTFY, you illiterate lout.

Terrabeau
Terrabeau

How does this subreddit feel about throwing its weight behind Trump’s campaign?

CNN: In a stunning turn of events today, a meager collective of anonymous Reddit fans of a small-time sketch comedy duo have announced that they are officially endorsing Donald Trump for president.

The question on everyone’s minds is, of course, how this will affect Hillary Clinton’s chances of winning the general election. For this, we turn to our political correspondence intern. Josh?

Josh: Thanks, Tom. The Clinton campaign staff have reacted rather slowly to this impending crisis with what can only be described as a bemused chuckle. Hillary herself has described the endorsement’s influence as “a church mouse farting in a hurricane.” Back to you, Tom.

brian
brian

I’ve never watched their show but my brother shared this video from it with me recently:
I’m guessing this Reddit business is a joke… but it wouldn’t surprise me either way.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

How does this subreddit feel about throwing its weight behind Trump’s campaign?

Said weight being precisely 21 grams.

Falconer
Falconer

Were these the guys who showed up to a Trump rally in Trump armbands? And one of those guys, whoever they were, claimed Marco Rubio stole his girlfriend. How droll.

Jo
Jo

I don’t know enough about these comedians or this subreddit to Poe it, but is the reference to meeting in an AIM chatroom a hint that it’s a joke?

Mattie
Mattie

“Dumbest” huh : /

isthisableism.tumblr.com/sluralternatives

(cue the jokes about Tumblr being too sensitive, yadda yadda)

Falconer
Falconer

@Mattie:

(You can use the buttons above the comment box to add in a link.)

David didn’t say a person or people was dumb, he said the drama was dumb.

kupo
kupo

@Falconer
I’m pretty sure the objection was to the word choice, not around how it was used. I know David decided when updating the comment policy that dumb would be allowed because he feels it’s no longer used in its original sense and this feels it’s not ablist. Personally I disagree but it’s not a big deal for me so I didn’t feel comfortable arguing against its use when it came up.

However, if anyone is interested in understanding why it’s ablist, the word itself originally meant mute (deaf and dumb, as the saying goes) and became synonymous with stupidity. This is because deaf people (often thought to be mute, but rarely is that the case) are thought to be lacking intelligence. I ranted about Abbé de l’Épée before, but he spread a lot of this idea that it was impossible to have sophisticated thought without a sufficiently complex language like French. This belief lives on today and people still try to rescue deaf people by teaching them “sophisticated” languages without bothering to learn the first thing about sign language.

The Deaf community does not like the word dumb. In fact, if you use it on some of them, they’ll shout st you to show you just how “dumb” they are. There’s a good reason for this. People treat you like shit when you can’t hear them. My experience is nothing like that of Deaf people, and I’m not trying to compare it at all. But I do have about 70% of the average hearing range due to nerve damage, and even though I hear most things fairly well I sometimes don’t hear what people say. I get a lot of hate for that. People accuse me of trying to embarrass them if the thing I didn’t hear was something embarrassing. People yell at me for not hearing loud noises outside my register, as if volume makes me magically able to hear a tone I can’t hear (hint: blow on that dog whistle as hard as you want; most humans still can’t hear it). People angrily tell me that they know I heard them when what they said wad something important they’re trying to get across to me. People laugh in my face when I repeat back what I thought I heard. And yes, people treat me like I don’t understand when I don’t hear them, and they often mock me using smaller words.

And these are my friends and relatives. People who genuinely love me and want to treat me well and care for my well being.

So yeah, dumb is ablist af.

greyskye
greyskye

Hold the phone… they have their meetings in AIM Chatrooms???

What is this, 1997?

Pandapool -- The Species that Endangers YOU (aka Jackie; currently using they/their, he/his, she/her pronouns)

Tim and Eric suck.

*discourse discourse subreddit close discourse*

reimalebario
reimalebario

I know of Tim and Eric because they were part of that JASH thing on YouTube along with Sarah Silverman and I love, love, love Sarah Silverman (who’s incidentally endorsing Sanders and definitely not Trump).

Tragedy of the Commas
Tragedy of the Commas

Never watched Tim and Eric. I recall there being a loud “why are they on Adult Swim? This isn’t animation! AS is ruined!” reaction back when their shows debuted. That said, Eric was very funny as Arnold in Master of None.

Then there’s still hope come November!

Although, according to an op-ed published by the BBC today, Trump is just like Sanders (“some people can’t choose between Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders”). So Trump winning is a win for Sanders supporters! OK, I’m being a little facetious about the op-ed. The author does make a good point about Trump’s appeal to low-income, white conservatives angry at the failure of trickle down economics.

Imaginary Petal

Their shows are hit & miss, but the good ones are so surreal and weird there’s no way it won’t crack me up. They have a truly unique style of comedy which I have appreciated over the years, and I would be disappointed and surprised if either of them were a Trump supporter.

Social Justice Atheist
Social Justice Atheist

@kupo

Thank you for explaining why “dumb” is ableist. I never knew that it was, and learned something. I personally will try not to use it in the future, but I understand if some people think it’s fine because the meaning has changed so much over time.

Also sorry about your relatives and friends treating you so poorly about your hearing issues. That really sucks.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

@dhag

Other way around – Tim called Trump a moron (albeit in more ableist language) on Twitter, then the subreddit flipped out.

@SFHC

So this is another case of reddit being reddit? Great.

OT: Did you see the major, major update to Pokémon Shuffle? It’s a lot more user friendly now, and there are a bunch of new things to do.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

@dhag

I knowww! I’m loving the mission cards so far; I was so excited to finally get a Lucarionite, although the “Get a combo of exactly seven” one was a luck-based pain in the arse. =P

@SFHC

Have fun doing the “make a combo of exactly 20 matches”, “erase 50 rocks”, and “clear out 100 coins” missions! 🙂

I’m way behind on everything in this game, and sadly missed a Charizard stone when I was in the no wifi zone on vacation. Sigh.

Pol
Pol

Hello kupo. I think that after reading your post that you and I have a lot in common. We seem to have similar and yet different problems. But I always think though that we should challenge other people. And yes, even give them a bit of pepper sometimes!

Pol
Pol

And this really got me mate. That those people were your relatives. Well I had the same thing. My own parents and their disrespectful words. They should be both old enough to know better. In effect, they are really just big children.

Kootiepatra

Y’know, every now and then I hear about something cool happening on Reddit, and I think, “Hm, maybe I should finally get an account, just so I can participate in said Cool Thing.”

Then something like this happens, and I’m back to going, “…nah, I’m good”.

kupo
kupo

@Pol
People get irrational sometimes when emotions come into play. They forget to be empathetic when they’re upset. I do it too (actually I found out I have a gene that makes me unable to be empathetic when upset–who knew that was controlled by genetics?). They’re not trying to be mean or cruel, but they forget that I have a hearing loss, and so they think I heard them because the volume they were speaking is fine for most of the people they interact with. They tend to learn over time, like my husband who hasn’t done any of that since the first year or so we were dating. I once told him never to say anything to me he isn’t willing to repeat, and I think he took that to heart.

@kupo

My dad has always had bad hearing, and I (reluctantly) recognize many of those behaviors in myself. Getting frustrated when he can’t hear me, yelling or speaking ridiculously loudly, thinking he MUST have heard me since he’s right next to me, accusing him of just not paying attention, etc etc etc. Constantly having to repeat yourself is frustrating, but of course it’s more frustrating to be the one who constantly needs to have things repeated to them, and in addition being the target of other people’s frustrations. One thing that always frustrates me when I talk to him is when I can tell from his tone of voice that he has no idea what I just said, but he won’t ask me to repeat it. So I have to say “did you hear any of that?”, then I have to wait for him to demonstrate that he in fact didn’t hear it, and then I repeat it again. I realize that he probably gets tired of having to ask me to repeat myself all the time, but it’s also difficult for me always having to make sure he’s not just pretending to have heard me, since sometimes I do say important things that he needs to hear. I’ve gotten better at this stuff since I don’t see him very often these days, but it was really getting on my nerves when I lived with my parents and talked to them way too often. I really appreciate your perspective on this!

msexceptiontotherule
msexceptiontotherule

@Kupo

Younger me asked many ridiculous and probably very insensitive questions that a (I think?) 100% deaf guy was kind enough to answer (seriously I don’t know what possessed me to ask why did he have a car stereo in his car, but his response was to show me – bass. The most bass I think I’ve ever felt and heard in my whole life.)…the fact that he answered questions at all without hesitating or anger when I had barely met him and was being so clueless but rude, made a lasting impression. He even put up with some ‘finger spelling’ because the extent of my sign language ability is the alphabet. That prompted a laugh from him before he got the laptop which was his preferred way to communicate. We lost track of each other when he had to move to a different state to live with his dad who had the insurance and money to do university tuition + the cochlear implants but wouldn’t as long as he lived with his mom (who was also deaf…complicated family situation).

I understand your position, and am even more grateful to the people who let me learn about what life for them was like. There are still times when others legitimately don’t know how a person feels/thinks unless they are told those things, for me this is one of those times. (not speaking for everyone, just myself.)

Jennifer King
Jennifer King

I like the idea of being scolded over not “separating personal beliefs and comedy shtick”, like they’re failing a job requirement. I’m pretty sure incorporating personal beliefs into comedy is allowed (freeze peach), and isn’t new. Like, are they mad at Yakov Smirnoff for making fun of the Soviet Union?

Then again, these are pretty much the same people who think personal opinions and experiences should be kept out of video game reviews so…

snork maiden

Whether this is for real or not, I find it somewhat reassuring that the majority of comments on that subreddit were extremely hostile towards the idea of backing Trump.

kupo
kupo

@Petal
I admit, I do pretend to hear things people say sometimes. I won’t do it if it seems important, but I do it more often than I probably should. It’s annoying on both sides when I can’t hear people, and sometimes I just don’t want to deal with it. So I smile and nod and hope I wasn’t supposed to respond some other way.

@msexception
I think we all have those cringe worthy moments in our past. Also, you probably don’t want to ride in my car because my stereo has a high pitched whine that is apparently painful to listen to (one of the sources of anger I get for not hearing things) and since I can’t hear it, I haven’t bothered fixing it in the 8 years I’ve owned the car. But I turn off the radio when others are in the car or ask them to turn it off if it makes the noise (it’s intermittent). On a really good day I can barely hear it in one ear, but then it just sets off my tinnitus like crazy. :p

WeirwoodTreeHugger
WeirwoodTreeHugger

Jennifer King,
Plus, political comedy can be the best kind if it’s done well. I love Samantha Bee’s new show.

On cringe worthy moments, I grew up across the street from a lesbian couple and their daughter. I once asked her which one was her real mom. She got a funny look on her face and said they both were. Of course, I meant biological mother. I was only 11 or 12 so it’s not unforgivable or anything, but I still look back on that and cringe.

Imaginary Petal

My Significant Otter has 3 deaf cousins, one of whom is a badass lesbian (or bi?) who shares a bunch of activism stuff related to the deaf community on social media. Sadly I don’t know these cousins very well since they live in California.

dlouwe
dlouwe

@kupo

My hearing is – last time I checked – fairly normal, but I do have trouble at times parsing the words that people are saying, so I ask people to repeat themselves quite a lot as well. I feel like my situation is a lot simpler – I don’t straight up *not hear* things, and the only flak I really get is when my partner tries to tell me something discreetly and my automatic reaction to not understanding is to ask “Pardon?” in a normal speaking voice – but I can still sympathize with it sometimes just not being worth it. Like if I’m having a particularly bad run and have said “Pardon?” to the same person a half-dozen times in as many minutes, throwing in an “Oh yeah” to something that sounded inconsequential can really ease the embarrassment.

Hambeast, Social Justice Legbeard
Hambeast, Social Justice Legbeard

The comedy just isn’t my cuppa but I was aghast at the mistreatment of the “cocktail sauce.”

I love me some cocktail sauce and mine is kickass and simple: Ketchup, tomato paste (just to tone down the sweetness of the ketchup), horseradish (NOT the creamed kind, unless you like pink cocktail sauce *shudder*) and a bit of chili paste for an added kick.

Everything is according to taste (and sometimes my mood) so no measurements are involved. I’m eating crab cakes with my sauce *right now* because the video made me crave them!

Tragedy of the Commas
Tragedy of the Commas

Is there any reason to think that Tim and/or Eric has/have anything to do with this? … It also disappoints me how quick people are to be needlessly aggressive toward a comedy duo based on what someone in A FUCKING SUBREDDIT did. Jebus.

OK. So…who’s being “needlessly aggressive”? Of the people who talked about Tim & Eric’s shows, in a conversation separate to the one about the subreddit drama, is your comment directed at Rabukurafuto? Or magnesium? dreemr? Pandapool? Tessa? reimalebario? Social Justice Atheist? Me? Futrelle’s blog? All of the above? And who’s actually holding Tim & Eric responsible for this subreddit nonsense?

I’m seriously asking, because I’m not sure how comments like, “I watched them a few times, not particularly my taste but they had some funny bits”, or, “Tim and Eric suck”, are examples of being “needlessly aggressive toward a comedy duo based on what someone in A FUCKING SUBREDDIT did”.

@TotC

Yeah, I was talking about people in the comments taking this opportunity to berate the comedy duo when they had nothing to do with whatever the reddit people did. If you don’t like a band, a TV show, a movie, etc, just keep it to yourself or bring it up when it has something at all to do with the topic at hand. Don’t unnecessarily shit all over things others might enjoy. There are many things I’m not a fan of, that I know others here quite enjoy. There’s really no need for me to tell them how much their interests suck. See how that works?

kale
kale

@Kupo just wanted to add thanks & support. I learned some things from your post & will be better equipped to be more respectful, & I appreciate that.

kupo
kupo

@everyone who learned things from me today
I was a little hesitant to post that because while I’ve been actually thinking about it since the great comment policy debate I had already decided that since I don’t actually feel hurt by the use of ‘dumb’ as a synonym for unintelligent that I didn’t need to bring it up. I’m glad I did, though, because it’s good to know people learned from it. I’ve been having a crappy week, so the combination of people saying they’ve learned from me and the kids I volunteer to tutor actually demonstrating that they’re learning has made me feel very good today, despite issues at work attempting to drag me down.

Kupo kupo! ^o^

dreemr
dreemr

Well, I for one wasn’t trying to be aggressive. A few people expressed that they didn’t know who Tim & Eric were, so I gave my impressions of them because I think they are a little more well-known than some may realize.

msexceptiontotherule
msexceptiontotherule

@Kupo

Learning can and should be a lifelong thing. 🙂 If I stopped learning I imagine I’d get pretty bored fairly quick.

Your stereo situation sounds like you’d be right about my not wanting to be a passenger, though to be fair the one in my car is always turned up loud so some may not want to be a passenger with me either. I’ve had my drivers license a long while, but once I had a car of my own I really haven’t liked not being the one driving places. Depending on another person to get me from point A to point B if alcohol was going to be around or someone could get a little out of bounds with their behavior (which people I’ve known/been around have done more often than I’d have preferred) …much more comfortable having my own wheels.