a voice for men antifeminism evil sexy ladies evil ugly women memes men who should not ever be with women ever MRA slut shaming sluts straw feminists

Memeday: Feminists — fat uggoes, or the cheerleaders who wouldn’t date us in high school?

Yes, that is Andrea Dworkin
Yes, that is Andrea Dworkin

The We Hunted the Mammoth Pledge Drive is on! If you haven’t already, please consider donating through the PayPal button below. Thanks!

The classic stereotype of the feminist — or at least the one most popular with antifeminists — comes to us straight from the 1970s. This feminist is mannish, unkempt, ugly, and above all fat. She wears baggy men’s clothing — perhaps overalls — or long hippie skirts that offer a glimpse of her defiantly unshaven legs. Think Andrea Dworkin, or some exaggerated version of her.

This stereotype, or at least an updated version of it, remains popular amongst the internet antifeminists who make so much noise — and so many memes. The updated ugly feminist remains fat, but has traded away her hippie accoutrements for leather miniskirts, black lipstick, facial piercings and hair dyed a violent red or blue. She looks like she just returned from a Slut Walk, though she’s one of the protesters that antifeminists like to loudly proclaim they Would Not Bang.

While Andrea Dworkin types — and sometimes Dworkin herself — still make it into antifeminist memes, like the one posted above, you’re much more likely to run across some variations of the feminists below.

fatfmcartoon fatfem2

Antifeminist meme makers love incorporating unflattering photos of feminists who seem to embody the new stereotype into their memes; given that none of these women have exactly volunteered for the role, so I won’t post any of these memes. They’re easy enough to find, as they show up pretty much anywhere misogynists congregate online. Which is practically the entire internet.

But that’s not the whole story here. It turns out that the fat, ugly feminist stereotype has a sister, and she looks less like Andrea Dworkin than she does the woman used to illustrate the non-feminist woman in that meme above.

This alternate feminist stereotype is what most observers would call conventionally hot. She’s also conventionally conventional, possibly a former cheerleader and sorority girl. She is the very picture of white privilege — and, her detractors claim — female privilege.

Far from rejecting the trappings of conventional female beauty standards, as did so many feminists in the 1970s, she embodies them — unashamedly using her beauty, and her sexual power over men, in order to get what she ways. All while chanting the feminist mantra of equality.

special

womengettinghalp

thenItold

That last one may be far more revealing than its maker intended, suggesting that he quite literally sees feminists as the popular “mean girls” in high school who not only wouldn’t date him, but who wouldn’t even talk to him at parties.

These smug and demanding manipulators are also, these memes tell us, likely to cry “rape” if they retroactively decide that some man they’ve slept with isn’t good enough for them. Or they may cry rape for no reason at all — just because they can.

rapelie

rapesereal

There’s real hatred lurking behind these memes, and a not-very-well-hidden desire for some kind of retribution. Antifeminist meme-makers transform stock images of attractive women crying into morality tales in which evil feminist women finally see the error of their ways.

femcry

womenhard

The meme-makers also love to imagine that they themselves have brought tears to the eyes of some model-hot feminist by posting harassing or threatening remarks online, or perhaps by setting up an antifeminist Facebook page.

femtwit

femface

Or by wearing some offensive t-shirt:

femthere-there-amy

In the movie Bowfinger, Eddie Murphy — playing an action-movie star with a tenuous connecting to reality — is weirdly obsessed by the desire to take the Lakers cheerleading squad “down a peg or two” by exposing himself to them.

Sometimes I wonder if a similar desire is the primary driver behind the Men’s Rights movement: the desire among MRAs to tear down — to humiliate, to bring to tears — the women they most desire, but who remain, somehow, tantalizingly out of their reach?

Judas Peckerwood

All of them, Katie!

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

As they keep telling us, if an MRA can’t get laid by the woman(or women) of his choice, he’ll get angry. And nasty. And violent.

I wish they’d spend all this time and energy on perfecting those sexbots they say they want.

lkeke35
lkeke35

It really is just another version of “They hurt me, so I wanna hurt them back”, revenge type mindset.

Even though the hurt on their part, is something entirely made up, in their heads.

Jamesworkshop
Jamesworkshop

I would ask, is this memes? but these are too boring and lazy to bother with.

Makroth
Makroth

If the ”Spot the feminist” meme is correct, then feminists are apparently fighting to end mass-production of cloned women.

lkeke35
lkeke35

That “Dear Feminists” one, where they almost come close to some understanding of themselves…

Its so frustrating to see them get SO close to understanding their situation and then miss it by this_ much.

Yes, being coddled by the world has made these men very emotionally fragile.

Rosie*sings*
Rosie*sings*

I like the one that implies that men don’t have control over their own reproduction/fertility. As my mum used to say “men need to protect their seed.” After all, if 50% of the genetic material is yours, then you’re responsible for it. Blaming the woman is cowardly.

Dr. NicolaLuna
Dr. NicolaLuna

I really really feel the need to unpack that one claiming that women having it easy. I’ll take it claim by claim.

1. Longer life expectancy
There is a pretty good article about why that’s the case. It’s hardly a privilege to have an extra 5 years of old age.

2. More money
Really? Because last time I checked, the wage gap was a thing, more women live in poverty and most of the world’s richest people were men.

3. Control over my property
Umm, yeah. Everyone, male or female, should have control over THEIR OWN freaking property. By definition, it is their property. Are you suggesting we go back to a time when women’s property became their husband’s property? The word property doesn’t make sense any more, I’ve typed it too many times in this paragraph. Property property property.

4. Control over my reproduction
OK, we should have control of this but unfortunately it gets decided by a bunch of rich, white men.
(As a side note, a comedian recently live tweeted her period to an Irish politician who is anti-choice. Other women, including me, did the same. Our uterus is clearly his business so he probably needs regular updates on how it’s doing)

5. Minority of the victims of every type of crime
As long as you don’t consider rape a crime I guess. Or domestic violence, but that doesn’t count because a woman is property, right? Oh or trafficking, doesn’t that count?
I also recently read that corporate crime disproportionately affects women too.

6. Being above the law
Which is why there are no women’s prisons. At all. Other than the fact I know there are 12 in the UK and plenty more all around the world. And they aren’t exactly a holiday camp. Many are full of abuse. I’ve read about menstrual pads being withheld, sexual assaults from prison officers and other abuse.

7. Being able to get whatever I want without lifting a finger
I keep hearing this one from the MRAs and I just don’t get it. I really don’t. Most women I know have jobs or are at home with young children. I worked 6 hours of overtime this week because we are short staffed and I don’t want staffing levels to impact on the client’s recovery from addiction. I work harder than most of those meme making jerks have even dreamed of working and sometimes in dangerous situations and with dangerous people. I really don’t understand where they get this idea that women get free stuff wherever they go. If they are talking about child support, that is for your child. If you genuinely begrudge giving a small amount of money to your ex so your child can have a better life then just please never have children. The £30 a week I get from my son’s dad is hardly a luxury.
Or maybe they are talking about that weird cliche about men paying for all dates. That is not really a thing. This is not the 50s and the women who actually do believe in that system are unlikely to be feminists. I always assume that if I make the invitation, I’ll pay. If he invites me, he’ll pay. And even then I usually offer to put some money towards it if it’s somewhere expensive.

Anyway, sorry for the teal deer but that meme in particular bugged me. Also, this is my first time unpacking their stuff bit by bit. It’s very cathartic.

VioletBeauregarde
VioletBeauregarde

They didn’t mean to say it, but (if you think about it ) the cat kinda jumped out of the bag there. They all typically lust after one kind of girl…skinny, white, long hair, no tattoos, no glasses, no piercings (except in the ears), submissive, etc. Basically an incarnate, animate Barbie doll.

Richard Smith
Richard Smith

In the “It was at that moment” cartoon, it seems that even feminist centaurs are bad.

VioletBeauregarde
VioletBeauregarde

Actually, Richard, the feminist “centaur” is just a woman with a big fat ass and thighs (to go with the rest of her body). I can see why she might look like a centaur though.

Alan Robertshaw

Ah, so feminism, like everything else that is brilliant, takes its cue from Bradford in the 1980s.

Malice W Underland
Malice W Underland

Re. the one with the fat lady shaming the skinny lady lifting weights:

Whoever made this has clearly never opened a book about feminism, or even read the wiki page. “You should eat a burger” is no more a feminist stance than “men should open doors for me.”

That said, I must point out that this is probably the only MRA meme I’ve seen posted to this blog that contains a grain of truth. I personally loathe those facebook memes about real women having curves, real men liking meat, bones being for dogs, Marilyn Monroe having said something or other that she assuredly never said, and so on.

It’s like, I’m glad you love your curvy body in the face of a society that demands thinness. I too am all about that bass, and I see where you’re coming from. Now let’s talk about how body acceptance means rejecting arbitrary beauty standards altogether, and how real women come in all kinds of shapes, colours, and sizes and abilities, and all our bodies are awesome. “I don’t fit the fashion industry’s beauty standards, but I fit male beauty standards, yay” does not body acceptance make.

/soapbox rant

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

That “sorry for being a man” image is actually from this image:

And I don’t really agree with it.

Feminism doesn’t want men to apologize for “being men”, we want men to understand that violence, emotional stunting, avoidance of everything “feminine” and subjugation of women through threats of violence or forcing women into their “natural roles” doesn’t have to be part of “being a man”.

There’s lots of other things too, but this really bothers me.
comment image

This one is much better, I think.

Makroth
Makroth

@VioletB

We were both joking but i do agree with your first comment.

Number Sequence
Number Sequence

The MRA mind:

“Hey, I heard this comparison of men and women where women came out more favorably. Should I look deeper into this to see if it is, in fact, true and, if so, what could be the root cause or causes? Or should I just assume not only that it is true but that it’s some aspect of a woman conspiracy to harm me and use that as fuel to yell into the internet? Well, the second one, of course! Bring me MS Paint!”

I’m just kidding. No MRA has ever asked that first question.

dlouwe
dlouwe

@Malice W Underland

All bodies are good bodies!

One thing the people who shame *any* type of body (especially under the guise of being concerned about health) really need to understand is that a gigantic contributing factor to people doing unhealthy things to their bodies is shame. It’s easier to do good things for your body when you feel good about it.

Tara the Antisocial Social Worker
Tara the Antisocial Social Worker

Dr. NicolaLuna beat me to it, but I was equally baffled by the idea the “control over my property” or “control over my reproduction” would be a bad thing, for anyone, ever.

Bina

“Dear Feminists: Special treatment doesn’t help weak people — it creates them!”

For once, one of them said something I agree with. So…why are the men getting special treatment, again? And why does the ass who made that picture think we can’t do math? And why is it “Math4Freminists” when there’s no actual math involved? Questions, questions. Who’s got answers?

dlouwe
dlouwe

@Tara

Not to mention since most of those points are contrasted against men (I assume; they fail to mention explicitly who the “womyn” are being compared to), does that mean they think that men don’t have control over their own property or reproduction?

Well, okay, we already know that they think being unable to force a woman to abort a child they helped conceived means they lack reproductive rights. But the property one still confuses me. Is that a reference to child support/alimony??

WeirwoodTreeHugger
WeirwoodTreeHugger

Even if someone is overly sensitive and cries at a mean comment online, that doesn’t make the person being mean the one in the right. At all.

The sensitivity might be for a reason. They may be rape or abuse survivors with trauma. They might have mental health issues. They might be going through a rough patch.

These meme makers are trying to convince people that feminists are hysterical. How original. All they’re really saying is that anti-feminists are immature assholes who think being able to make someone cry is cool. Yet I bet you anything these douchenuggets all have sob stories about jocks and cheerleaders teasing them in high school and expect women to give them a sympathy fuck because of it.

Snowberry
Snowberry

I think the “reproductive rights” things is a reference to spermjacking followed by 18 years of alimony. The property rights is in reference to taking 50% of a man’s property via divorce settlements.

dreemr
dreemr

@Malice W Underland

Thank you for that rant, I really liked it. Some very good points.

That first image reminds me of the one GoldieBlox ad.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

You know, if that ceral has canola in it, then it literally contains rape. Feminist: 1. Meme-maker: 0.

(Not meaning to step on any toes here…it’s a stupid meme, and I just enjoy smacking down smug doucheturnip gotchas)

bluecat
bluecat

Just wondering how strange the world might be if every philosophy, every social movement, every line of thought ever proposed were judged entirely – but entirely – on the looks of its founding figures and contributors, measured by the standards of the 21st century fashion and pop industry.

Y’know, kids, today in science we’re going to look at the Copernican revolution. Here’s a picture of Copernicus – how many of you think he’s hot? Can you grade his looks 0 – 10? Shall we have a vote? Sorry, we have no information on whether he went to the gym or not – but we’ve got an artist’s impression of him from the rear wearing tight pants that will help you decide. OK, so the votes are in – looks like the sun revolves around the earth after all. Copernicus rates a meagre 3 on the HB scale. Next, the theory of relativity. Here’s a pic of Einstein. Oh dear. Looks like it’s laters for relativity kids…

Ashara Payne
Ashara Payne

When it comes to body acceptance, I agree with Malice W Underland. In the mid-90s Dawn French made an hour-long programme about how fat can be beautiful, rejecting the pressure that media puts on women to be thin (I honestly think it’s improved since then, fashions in the 70s/80s/90s were thinner than now; this may be due to the much-quoted effect of an economic downturn but I’m not so sure, it’s only recently women have started desiring bigger derrières).
At the end of the programme, Alison Moyet popped up to ask why we’re so obsessed with beauty anyway, one step beyond maybe being beautiful for the benefit of men’s boners.

Kirbywarp
Kirbywarp

You know, in that first meme, Dworkin is just giving that look like she’s saying…

“Really? This is your meme? A bunch of copies of a photoshopped model representing what you think “normal” women are and a regular picture of me as the Big Scary Feminist? You do know you’re making my point for me, right?”

I find that hilarious.

The one with centaur woman might as well be captioned “Kelly would have continued listening, but she was struck with a sudden important question. Just where HAD her internal organs gone?”

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

It’s once again time for everyone’s favourite show, Formal Logic with MRAs! Remember kids, MRAs are always objective and rational, so this should be both easy and fun.

From the images above, we learn that:

a) Hot women don’t need feminism because men will love them for being skinny.
b) Hot women are all lying, thieving whores.
c) Feminists are all immensely fat.
d) Women become feminists because they want to lie to men.

From these four axioms we can determine that:

e) Since all hot women are lying whores and feminism is about lying to men, all hot women must be feminists.
f) Since all hot women are feminists and all feminists are fat, all hot women must be fat.
g) Since hot women don’t need to be feminists because they’re skinny, all fat feminists must be skinny nonfeminis-

ERROR

PLEASE REINSERT DISK

Kirbywarp
Kirbywarp

That “This is feminism” meme takes on a whole new meaning if you picture the blue dude as a Roosh fanboy trying to be sarcastic.

A new, dark, accurate meaning.

Bina

Yup. They got pantsed, and all the girls saw and laughed and pointed, and didn’t want what they saw and laughed and pointed at. Ergo, feminism! Hence, all women’s real and huge societal problems are just their trivial fee-fees being hurt, while these guys’ sad boners and blue balls are huge, overarching societal problems. See how that works?

(No, neither do I. But that’s how these hare-brains seem to run.)

Mish
Mish

I really love memeday at WHTM. The post itself, then the comments following = a whole new level of wonderfulness.

Snowberry
Snowberry

Hell, no. Einie’s a total cutie.

bluecat
bluecat

I quite agree Snowberry but then I don’t conform my aesthetic tastes to the shallowest of the 21st century pop and fashion industry standards.

Einstein lived for a while not far from where I am, in Norfolk (the one in the UK) – in a kind of shed, I believe, out in the woods.

Even so, he’d never get on Pop Idol.

Shaenon

Calling feminists ugly goes back at least to the suffrage movement, although in those days the cartoon feminists were skinny and horse-faced instead of fat and sassy.

It’s amazing how women magically change into uggos the moment they stand up for themselves. I just witnessed a Reddit thread where a bunch of Red Pill guys were declaring Emma Watson too ugly for them (while at the same time raging that her boyfriend is a handsome jock). I’m sure Watson is crying herself to sleep on her huge pile of money and Hollywood contracts because she’s not hot enough for some gross dudes on Reddit.

bluecat
bluecat

Yesterday on a Facebook discussion about misogyny I got told I was too ugly to fuck (not that I’d asked) and “looked like a dog”.

Now, I’m not saying he couldn’t be right – only there are precisely two photos of me on my Facebook page from which he could possibly have made his judgement.

In one, I have a flowery skull face painted on and am dressed like Carmen Miranda for a Day of the Dead dance. In the other I am ten years old, and have just discovered caviar.

dlouwe
dlouwe

@Shaenon

It’s funny how far some men will delude themselves into thinking that their opinion matters on any topic. Also, as if they would turn down Emma Fucking Watson if she for whatever weird twist of fate were in the same place as one of these dudes and started hitting on them. They feel comfortable making such ridiculous claims because they know they’d never be tested on it, but it’s just a bunch of bullshit sabre-rattling.

Jamesworkshop
Jamesworkshop

Worst Where’s Wally? book ever.

Snowberry
Snowberry

That’s really not too surprising. You know the saying, “beauty is skin deep, but ugly goes to the bone”? Well, to guys like that, any woman who offends them by failing to be a submissive kitchen-jockey is displaying her inner ugliness. Because they really do find that unattractive.

They’re just angry that their particular standards of inner beauty aren’t being catered to by society. Not that it would matter if it did, because their own inner ugly wouldn’t make things any easier.

kale
kale

I fuckin *love* (read: despise) their continual pathetic attempts to pretend rape isnt an actual thing that is actually happening. Women are talking about rape because a lot of women have really been raped, and I would be rather not-at-all shocked to find that a lot of MRAs know that damn well from personal experience. They deliberately try to make it seem like women are just imagining it, like, for profit?

sparkalipoo
sparkalipoo

@NicolaLuna

I think these are the same guys who think that the wage gap only exists because women major in useless degrees like women’s studies (I absolutely hate it when someone tries to tell me that all female dominated majors are useless because I majored in speech therapy which is far from useless but very few men go into)

Nathan Hevenstone

In the very first image, the repeated image of the young brunette woman, looks a hell of lot like Olivia Wilde to me. Now, granted, my eyes could be deceiving me, but if that really is her, I find that exceptionally hilarious because she is, in fact, a feminist.

Nikki the Bluth Wannabe
Nikki the Bluth Wannabe

Ninja’d by Nathan on the first meme. I’d also like to add that the only thing I got from it was “I am obsessed with Olivia Wilde and jealous that she wouldn’t give me the time of day. Wait, she’s a feminist? Ooh, I know how to make myself feel better-put her in a meme comparing her to Andrea Dworkin, who I consider the worst feminist in the history of feminism.”

Fabe
Fabe

The most recent Saturday Morning Breakfast cereal

reggie, the neighbour's cat
reggie, the neighbour's cat

On the centaur woman one, I am one of those very skinny women. I have been told I look like a stick, called anorexic as an insult (at 7 years old the first time), and asked if I ever eat. But all of that is more reason to be a feminist because I want a world where I – and every other woman – am able to live without my very body being the subject of public discussion. By fluke of genetics I’m very skinny. By fluke of genetics some people are much bigger, some are very tall, some are very short, etc. Each person’s body is different, and each person’s body is their own. It really shouldn’t be a big deal.

Mortarius
Mortarius

This is a small nitpick.

These MRA’s always go on about women having “all the reproductive rights” or whatever nonsense because women have the sole ability to terminate a pregnancy that has begun.

MRA’s also love to go on about BioTroofs, what is natural, “men are inherently” and so on.

Of course, only when it benefits men. Here’s an actual biotruth for ya, women have these rights, and should have them unimpeded because of the currently insurmountable fact that they have to carry the baby in their bodies and they bear 100% of the risk of complications!

‘Even so, he’d never get on Pop Idol.’

Isaac Newton would though….

Contrapangloss
Contrapangloss

I actually kind of like the spot the feminist one.

It’s like they think all women are identical to each other… unless they happen to be feminists, and then they are unique individuals.

I know that’s not what they think, and frankly even anti-feminists are unique individuals, but it speaks wonders that these guys don’t even notice the implication of their meme that they want all women to be cardboard cutout identical.

So, yeah. Rambly 48 til midnight thought from AK.

lkeke35
lkeke35

As a curvy girl, it took me some time to empathize with thin, conventionally attractive women. Because big girls are also inundated with the message that our sole importance to the world is to be attractive to a man, and we must strive for that, we’re taught that thin women are our rivals, becasue they get male approval, and we don’t see that that affects them as much as it does us.

Curvy girls are taught that if we don’t get male attention, we are total losers at being women. But the alternative of getting lots of male attention for your looks, isn’t any better, especially if you really do want people to leave you alone in public, so you can get stuff done.

Although, I was fortunate to recognize the plight of conventionally thin women in my teens, and how it wasn’t much better than what I was going through, the other stuff took a long time.

A lot of us fail to take into account, sometimes until it’s much too late, that being conventionally sized, is not a get out of jail free card. It takes us a long time to figure out that thin women have the same problem we curvy girls do: Public Body Policing.

It took me a long time to figure out , it’s not about size or attractiveness, and the comments we start getting as soon as we start showing signs of puberty (or not showing) is all about public control of female bodies by family and hideously enough, total strangers.

Yeah, body policing has never been one of the tenets of feminism, but it is one of the tenets of patriarchy.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

Can’t remember why, but when reading this comment thread I thought it might be a good opportunity to post this again: