empathy deficit entitled babies gender policing men who should not ever be with women ever misandry misogyny no girls allowed

Sorry, manbabies, the real problem with the Ghostbusters reboot isn’t misandry but racism

Oh, wait, wrong ghost movie
Oh, wait, wrong ghost movie

The We Hunted the Mammoth Pledge Drive is on! If you haven’t already, please consider donating through the PayPal button below. Thanks!

Today will go down in history as a dark day for manbabykind. For today, the lady Ghostbusters trailer dropped. And there was much wailing and tweeting of tweets.

Let’s take a stroll amongst the wailing manbabies on Twitter, indulging their ridiculous rants.

And then let’s talk about what’s really wrong with the Ghostbusters trailer, which has nothing to do with gender and everything to do with race.

First, the manbabies:

There were those who pulled out the old “my childhood has been raped” nonsense.

There were those who strenuously insisted that their anger at the female Ghostbusters had nothing whatsoever to do with misogyny, nuh-uh, but was rather a reaction to the trailer’s objective terribleness.

There were the fat-shamers, because at no point in history has a fat person ever been funny.

There were Trump fans:

Hell, there were so many Trump fans that one observer made a helpful Venn diagram:

There were even a few Knights Who Say Cuck:

Some raised the specter of WHITE GENOCIDE:

Some worried where the evil feminazis would strike next:

Others offered somewhat less comprehensible critiques:

One Tweeter summed up the day on Twitter with a little haiku:

And another Tweeter left us with this existential question:

Still another raised the possibility of a second reboot with a rather different cast:

And this guy helped us put it all in perspective:

So what happens once we step back from all the manbaby whining, and the jokes about the manbaby whining. and actually watch the trailer? Well, be my guest:

I don’t know about you, but I’m a bit underwhelmed.

There are a few funny moments, but the trailer sort of steps on them. It’s hard to tell if this is a terrible trailer for a good film, or if the Ghostbusters reboot will end up being, well, basically a female version of Adam Sandler’s godwful Pixels.

But the really distressing thing that the trailer reveals is that the three white gals in the movie are the scientists, while Leslie Jones’ Patty is relegated — or so it seems from the trailer — to the tired, stereotypical role of sassy black sidekick who may not be educated but who “knows the streets.”

This racial/racist failure has not exactly gone unnoticed; it’s already inspired thinkpieces and polemics on sites ranging from The Root to The Inquisitr, as well as in innumerable Tweets.

The original Ghostbusters, however hallowed it has become, was infamous for a similar racial failure. That movie’s “black ghostbuster,” played by Ernie Hudson, was so forgettable, and so obviously a token, that the designer simply left him off of this recently reworked Ghostbusters poster featuring his three white comrades.

Despite all the complaints by angry manbabies about the gender-swap of the main characters, it may well turn out that the real problem with the film isn’t that it’s too radically different from the original, but rather that it is too similar — at least in its inability to imagine a black character as more than a token or a stereotype.

The one thing that gives me some hope is Jones herself, an amazing comedian who may have been able to transform her character into something more nuanced and less stereotypical than what we see in the trailer.

I guess we’ll see.

Zyvlyn
Zyvlyn

I was disappointed by the trailer, pretty much for the exact reasons you stated. Moving past the OBVIOUS racial issues, the part I couldn’t believe was just how none of the jokes landed.

Fingers crossed that it’s just a case of a bad trailer, but my enthusiasm for the movie just dropped considerably.

FriendlyFire
FriendlyFire

Just want to remind everybody that it’s being distributed by Sony, who still hasn’t let Kesha out of her contract with her alleged abuser Dr. Luke.

I hate that they get to be the ones profiting of such a cool and progressive venture…

NickNameNick
NickNameNick

…Winston Zeddemore was actually my favorite Ghostbuster…

Diogenes
Diogenes

I’d disagree with the racial aspect. Winston Zeddemore was probably the most relatable character for some viewers. (i.e. “If there’s a steady paycheck in it, I’ll believe anything you say.”) He’s the salt of the earth and plays straight man opposite three wacky academics. From the trailer I saw, it seemed like they were trying to do something similar with Leslie Jones’ character. Some decent movies have pretty bad trailers, so I’ll forbear judgement for now.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

(Been lurking foreva, hi everyone!!!)

So dude says that at least the original Ghostbusters weren’t fat. I seem to recall Bill Murray in 2 saying, “Suck in the guts guys, we’re the Ghostbusters.”

brooked
brooked

@Zyvlyn

I agree with your agreeing. I do hold on to some hope because Paul Feig’s last Film, Spy, was a high concept comedy with a sizable budget and terrible trailers, yet I thought it was hilarious and loved every minute of it.

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

Repeat after me, shitlords: “No one has retconned my childhood. The original movies still exist, and I can go and watch them whenever. This movie doesn’t change history.”

Though, I would watch an all-male version of Little Women. Of course, pissbabies will cry about that too because there won’t be any explosions and there’ll be those dreaded “feelings” and things, and that the plot doesn’t revolve around violence or murder.

On the topic of the racism: Yeah, I’m also hoping this is a case of bad trailer, and not a case of “we didn’t learn from our past and are now doomed to repeat it”.

Wondering
Wondering

Regarding the manbabies, my husband saw a Reddit comment about how awful this movie is going to be because the original wasn’t a comedy but now they’re making it one.

Some folks may need to re-evaluate what they understand about their childhood favorites.

dreemr
dreemr

I had just watched the trailer before reading this. It just looked like a shot-for-shot remake of the original – and I’ve already seen the original many many times. I’ve no need to see it again with the actors swapped out.

I will reserve judgment until I see/know more, but yeah, underwhelming. I had hoped they would bring something fresh to an old favorite.

And this is all not even counting racism.

Michael Brew
Michael Brew

I am a bit encouraged by the fact that she has enough scenes to make it into a good trailer clip. That alone makes it an improvement over the original, which manages to make complete sense even when you cut his scenes out. Even though the premise is pretty cliché, I think there’s definitely potential for subversion. We’ll just have to see, though.

weirwoodtreehugger

Ryan,
I’d believe your claim that your dislike of this movie has nothing to do with misogyny a little bit more if you didn’t use the word “feminazi” unironically.

Jae,
Ghostbusters will be arriving in theaters not only before the inauguration but well before the election. So even if it wouldn’t be a violation of the 1st amendment – not freeze peach, actual free speech violation! – President Trump will not be able to stop it.

Vox Day,
Louisa May Alcott did in fact write a sequel to Little Women called Little Men. Jo turns the large house she inherited from her grumpy aunt into a boarding school for poor and/or orphaned boys. Yes. Jo March, that evil feminist type of woman did more for fictional boys than any MRA ever did for real ones.

You might not have known about Little Men because it wasn’t turned into a movie. I would think an “author” would know about books that weren’t adapted into movies, but apparently not.

Jamesworkshop
Jamesworkshop

Jones herself is in the movie, thus knows more than we do from a trailer. overall she seems to be defending the movie in the strongest possible terms.

The trailer wasn’t great.

weirwoodtreehugger

Been lurking foreva, hi everyone!!!)

Welcome!

What I think you’ve forgotten is that to misogynists, only men who are quite obese are fat. Although I think they lower the fatness bar for feminist men. Women, on the other hand are fat if they are larger than a US size 2.

NickNameNick
NickNameNick

Exactly! He’s the only one of the four who, when it comes to telling others about ghostly phenomenon, actually gets how outrageous all that stuff would sound. He doesn’t disbelieve it, of course, but it’s clear that – next to Bill Murray – he’s more of a people person than either Egon or Stantz.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

I’m hoping the full movie will bring out more of Patty’s municipal historian side, which sounds like a pretty fascinating thing:

sbel
sbel

It looks terrible. 🙁 And if it fails, there’ll be a bunch of people ready to jump in and say “See? This is why we don’t make comedies with female casts.” 🙁

I ain't afraid of no ghost
I ain't afraid of no ghost

His childhood was *officially* raped! There were forms and everything. In triplicate. The notaries wept.

Nequam
Nequam

As I posted over in the “feminists want white guys to die” thread, before knowing there’d be a specific Ghostbusters thread, this looks relentlessly okay.

I’d probably *still* rather go to some specialty lost-film screening or a Mister Lobo (local horror host) presentation.

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III
Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

I’m thinking probably not as good as Ghostbusters but better than Ghostbusters II? Somewhere on a par with a good episode of Real Ghostbusters? Eh, you could do worse.

Wwaxwork
Wwaxwork

Seems a lot of people are quick to pick on a movie based on the trailer as someone who watched the first & second trailer for Suicide Squad today. The first one had me figuring I’d save my money & see it on Netflix, the second had me marking the release date in my calendar.

So I’m going to reserve judgement . . . for now. What I think annoys me the most is the guys tweeting act like no comedy with an all male cast ever tanked.

Social Justice Atheist
Social Justice Atheist

It’s funny how that one dude says he hates fat people, but Trump is an exception. Because of course he is.

As for the new Ghostbusters, it sounds like unfortunately they are doing the “token sassy black woman as sidekick” thing that has been done to death. Although it’s kinda hard to tell from just the trailer.

Besides that fact, the trailer itself doesn’t make the movie look very funny or appealing IMHO. I’m probably still going to see it though.

davidknewton

If these people’s childhoods are erased, do they disappear from the world as adults? I kind of hope so.

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

davidknewton | March 3, 2016 at 8:20 pm

Maybe it’s like a weird Butterfly Effect.

Maybe if they never saw Ghostbusters or became Ghostbusters Fans (which I doubt all of these people are, some of them just seem like they’re complaining because something they liked as a kid is now being “feminized” despite the fact they might not like it now) events would have changed, they wouldn’t have experienced certain things, and they would have different world views and they wouldn’t be massive misogynist shitheads.

Kylo Ronin
Kylo Ronin

I sort of thought the trailer was okay. Aside from the racism.

Sweaty Examination Goblin
Sweaty Examination Goblin

Why… why is the childhood so sacred? This has to be part of the manbaby psychology; not only can we not put our toys away, we must defend them to the death. If you’re stuck in a romanticized past, it makes sense that you would wish nothing to change, critique, or add to that past.

This made me realize how pathetic these people are. I’m sad now.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

@WWTH

Yeah, it occurred to me just as the edit time ran out that seemingly (to them) men pretty much can’t be fat unless it’s to the point of “I wash myself with a rag on a stick”

Ashara Payne
Ashara Payne

Well it makes me feel old, I saw it at the cinema aged 20. These man babies who are whining about their childhoods seem more sexist than my generation. I wonder if it’s due to the ‘lad’ culture that permeated the UK (was it in the U.S. too?) while they were growing up in the 90s? In the 80s men were starting to become ‘new men’, helping their wives with childcare and housework (mine didn’t) and then we took a step backwards by making it acceptable for young men to act like overgrown kids. A blip I hope.

Did you guys have two-tone music in the late 70s/ early 80s? I think that helped against racism enormously in the UK. Although maybe it just displaced it from black (mostly West Indian) people to Asian (mostly Pakistani/Bangladeshi) people. Black London culture is so admired and cool that the cockney accent is disappearing to be replaced with the West Indian (Jamaican?) patois as the most common accent. Cockneys moving to Essex changed the Essex accent.

iknklast
iknklast

I don’t think they mean that. I think they only mean fat women. Because Chris Farley. John Belushi. Etc…men can be fat. Because it isn’t the job of men to get people hot and horny, at least in these guys’ worldviews. I don’t mind good looking men, myself, but don’t find “fat” quite so unattractive as skinny stick people who look like they need a meal, which seems to be how they want women to look.

As for Ghostbusters – Winston was forgettable? Not a bit! I’m like the others up above, I think he was a great character, and quite funny. He was my son’s second famous ghostbuster (my son always did like Egon the best – strange kid).

Mels
Mels

@iknklast

skinny stick people who look like they need a meal

Can we not body shame please? Just because fat people (myself included) get way more hate for their bodies than skinny people doesn’t mean it’s okay to shame skinny people. Or make assumptions about their health.

I’m reminded of my first boyfriend insisting that the modeling clay diorama of a beaver lodge he made in third grade was REALLY GOOD.

peaches
peaches

You know, I’m in the minority when it comes to Winston from the first Ghostbusters movie. I loved him, he was my favorite Ghostbuster. “When somebody asks you if you are a God, you say YES!”

But yeah, that was over 30 years ago and they could do more with Jones’s character. I hope they do.

sparkalipoo
sparkalipoo

I feel like whenever someone feels the need to preemptively say that their opinion on something isn’t because they are sexist, it’s because they are sexist

Nequam
Nequam

I’m afraid I don’t remember Winston from the first film too well, except to note that Ernie Hudson got shafted hard when the film was put on video– back then no one seemed to want widescreen editions that I remember, so it was cropped for pan-and-scan– and he was cropped out of most every scene he was in unless he had dialogue.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

Winston is the only Ghostbuster I can remember the name of. #cuck

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

All this mountain from the incorporeal molehill makes me want them to do Porkey’s next.

Pony's Labia
Pony's Labia

They are so dumb. Like the male ghost busters were amazing looking and studly powerful? No. Dan Akryod and the guy who played Egon who is sadly passed on (what was his name? Dammit) are not know for their physical beauty. Bill Murray? Not a model. So who cares what the new girls look like.

Bina

Bingo.

And of course, misogynists are therefore allowed — nay, OBLIGED — to hate them for it. Because they make misodge boners soooo saaaaaad. That’s the unpardonable sin of womanhood: Thou shalt please the boners of those who hate you, OR ELSE.

(Welcome, all newcomers!)

Dr Hoveiny
Dr Hoveiny

I want to like this movie, but it just seems like they’re taking some very funny women and giving them a script that isn’t quite on par with everything else I’ve seen of their comedic talents, in addition to the racial issue. It’s no Bridesmaids. It’s like there’s a rev limiter on the script, or too many cooks, which is sad. I had high hopes.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Yelling “Who gives a fuck, it’s just a movie, you’re b***hing about nothing” at another WoC who pointed out her very fair concerns isn’t exactly defending the movie…

(I feel silly for specifying “Another WoC,” but I’m trying to avoid gotchas from lurking trolls.)

Tyler
Tyler

Trust me, the racial problems are the only problem with the movie. Also, I think it should be fair to mention that most people don’t dislike the movie for its all female-cast, although there are some who do. The trailer was absolute shit because of its surprisingly shitty CGI and its HORRIBLE, cringe-worthy jokes. It really doesn’t matter whether or not the ghostbusters are female or not (although it does seem a tiny bit like pandering), but it really doesn’t need a reboot. I mean come on, the original is a classic movie!
I guess the movie could be pretty good, but I don’t have high hopes.
EDIT: oh, I almost forgot to mention one more thought that I had. I also don’t like the movie because to me, it seems sort of like a cash-grab.

Mish
Mish

@weirwoodtreehugger – I had the same thought when I read vox day’s tweet. ‘Can we hope for an all male Little Women?’ he whines …. no need, vox, there already is one. It’s called Little Men. Idiot.

Aside from the ‘women can’t be funny’/’fat women definitely can’t be funny’ and the stupid overblown ‘rape of childhood’ stuff, I think this pic of ghostbuster costumes sums up another reason why they’re so annoyed:

Saphira
Saphira

and the guy who played Egon who is sadly passed on (what was his name? Dammit)

That would be Harold Ramis. We lost a good one, there.

As for the remake itself . . . . I rarely enjoy remakes of films I’ve seen that I like, so I avoid them at all costs. The reboot is rarely able to stand up to the original in my mind. I have a feeling this movie will not be any different and that has nothing to do with it having an all-woman cast. It could have been remade with men and I still wouldn’t go see it.

Plus I do admit I’ve become kind of tired of the movie version of Melissa McCarthy because she seems to play the same character over and over. It’s not that I don’t think she has talent, it’s just that her usual movie character of the awkward woman-child who blunders her way through the plot has grown rather thin for me. I much more enjoyed the complex characters she played on TV in Mike and Molly and Gilmore Girls.

I also don’t like the movie because to me, it seems sort of like a cash-grab.

I can understand why it would seem that way. Hollywood almost never remakes beloved classics, especially when it’s only been 30 years.

Dodom
Dodom

Women can’t be funny. Especially when they’re playing characters that could have been cast as any sex and bros’d have found the exact same gags funny if played by dudes even though they’d still be the same gags. Makes sense.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ ashara

What made me feel a bit old was when there was the original thread here about the “new” Ghostbusters movie and it took me a while to realise it didn’t mean Ghostbusters 2.

As for two-tone, there’s a really interesting discussion to be had there, if only to get nostalgic. Of course it’s not just the race aspect; there’s a whole debate to be had about what it meant about the changes in society and music when the Specials became Fun Boy Three.

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

Tyler | March 3, 2016 at 11:43 pm
(although it does seem a tiny bit like pandering)

Forgive me if I come across as a bit snippy, but the word “pandering” has really lost its meaning from being abused by GooberGobbers and other manospherians who believe that anything that isn’t “cishet white male protagonist” (in other words, anything that panders directly to them) is “pandering” and is therefore bad.

So, who is this “pandering” to, might I ask?

Leah3
Leah3

Ha, I came here to see if you’d cover this. No disappointments.

I think the creators might plan to put a twist on this “sassy black woman” cliche, though.

Why? Well, besides the fact that the climate in Hollywood at the moment is very sensitive to racism (even more so, you’d think, for a “progressive” film), many of the shitty youtube commenters were berating the trailer for saying “four scientists,” not three as there (apparently–I haven’t seen the movie) are in the original.

Now, I’m just putting this out there to see if I’m right, but I bet Leslie Jones’s character will turn out to be the smartest of the four, or be a super-secret scientist who has to stay undercover or something like that.

estraven
estraven

I’m in the minority here as I couldn’t stand the original Ghostbusters. I wanted to flee the theater but my young son had been so keen on seeing it that I had to stay. It felt like that movie would never end. Maternal sacrifices . . .

Leah3
Leah3

It’s almost 3 in the morning and I’m basically here talking to myself, so why not continue:

Given the backlash this movie has received, I think they should do an SNL skit with “Malebusters” or whatever, where an all-female team tries to take out MRAs and misogynists on the internet. Cue stumbling into the portal (ie a basement), a proton pack that attacks with a stream of Proactiv, and, rather than slime, have to deal with men spewing Mountain Dew. And instead of Gozer the final antagonist is a giant Donald Trump.

The jokes might be a little too internet-insular for mainstream tv, though.

Pietro_McM
Pietro_McM

My Ghostbusters have dicks. Long, swinging, dicks.

Some of these MRA-ers are really obsessed with male genitalia, their own and other peoples. Nothing gay about that though, no sir!

I went to see the original at the movies. Also the sequel.

I re-watch the originals occasionally. Nowadays, I just wish there was more of Winston Zeddemore, the most sympathetic character in the original movie. Someone normal to relate to amidst the craziness.

What really annoys me about the new movie is that they’ve gone right back to the beginning as if the first two never happened. Like the Spiderman reboot.

When it comes to movies, or media product in general, Sony are only out for the profit. Ask Kesha.

Will I go and see it? Probably.

1 2 3 5