antifeminism antifeminist women hypocrisy irony alert J-Law misogyny racism reactionary bullshit thinking housewife

“Thinking Housewife” thinks female astronauts would be happier changing diapers on earth

Or maybe not?
Or maybe not?

It’s been quite some time since we last checked in with the genteel racist and Holocaust-denier who calls herself The Thinking Housewife. Flipping through her blog archive today, I could not find it in me to click on posts with such unappetising titles as “Usury and Homosexuality” and “Martin Luther King: Commie Fraud.”

But her recent post on lady astronauts got my attention. In it, Laura Wood (her real name, evidently), throws some reactionary shade at NASA for the unforgivable sin of training four women for space work and a possible trip to the Red Planet.

As Wood sees it, Mars does NOT need women, because a trip to yucky Mars pales in comparison to the joys of full-time housewifery.

[T]he things these women could accomplish within the dramatic and exciting Inner Space of their own homes so dwarfs what they could accomplish on Mars (where they won’t be going anyway), that the very suggestion is an outrage.

Wait, I thought Innerspace was the movie in which Dennis Quaid got shrunken down to microscopic size, Fantastic Voyage style, and accidentally injected into Martin Short?

Who would trade insipid, lifeless, finite Mars (Yuck!! Revolting!!) for the chance to create and influence human beings, each one of whom is a fascinating planet, an eternal sphere of consummate adventure, a being that is utterly unique and made in God’s image?

Apparently, God is a tiny bald, incontinent person who can barely walk straight and communicates mainly through shrieks and vomiting, yet is somehow also adorable?

If that isn’t power, what is?

Uh, being president? I mean, having a kid is a momentous thing, for mothers and fathers alike, and fulfilling in many ways that even being president or taking a trip to freakin Mars couldn’t ever be. (Or so I’ve heard.) But it’s not power.

And seriously, if the thing you value most about your children is that they’re small enough to boss around, you’re probably not cut out to be a parent. Go run for president, or something.

God gave men galaxies and distant planets and asteroids to compensate them for the misfortune — and unfairness — of never being able to become mothers.

And God says this where? I’m a dude with no uterus, and I never got my owner’s certificate for everything in the sky.

Outer Space takes their minds off the unfairness of it all, something women have been kind enough to recognize in the past by not denying those who have dreamed of being astronauts since they were little boys of the chance to experience the “vomit comet.”

I’m just going to let J-Law here handle my response:

Eventually we will communicate entirely through Jennifer Lawrence reaction gifs
Eventually we will communicate entirely through Jennifer Lawrence reaction gifs

Dudes, if you’re truly furious that some darn woman has stolen what should rightfully be your spot on the “vomit comet” — the affectionate name for the plane in which astronauts first get used to the joys of zero gravity — you can actually just pay these guys to have the very same experience.

Women don’t want it anyway. If someone came to my door when my children were young, blossoming creatures and said, “Hey, lady, you have just won a trip to Mars!,” I would have told him to get lost. I would do the same now.

Uh, yeah, and so would I. But I’m not all men, and you’re not all women, and neither of us has the right to be making these decisions for other people.

I just hope that Mars turns out to be as cool as the moon.

Far freakin out!
Far freakin out!

Moggie
Moggie

What’s with this “thinking housewife” name, anyway? Is she implying that other housewives don’t think? That’s… pretty thoughtless, wouldn’t you say?

EJ (The Other One)

@Anarchonist:
A magnificent post, to which I shall append only this:

As an aside, I really wonder what she would have to say about Pluto. “Yuck! Cold and nasty, not at all like the warm, tender embrace of motherh… What? It’s not a planet after all? Well, Pluto’s all right, I guess.”

Pluto is icy-cold, smothers the atmosphere out of life near it, can’t escape the orbit of other bodies and is only worthy of comment because it disturbs the rest of us. Laura “The Thinking Housewife” Wood might see it as a fellow spirit.

ej
ej

Who would trade insipid, lifeless, finite Mars (Yuck!! Revolting!!) for the chance to create and influence human beings, each one of whom is a fascinating planet, an eternal sphere of consummate adventure, a being that is utterly unique and made in God’s image?

I would! OK, maybe not now, but 8-year-old ej (who was in Young Astronauts and participated in a few mock space missions) definitely would have. Honestly, I hate the feeling of free fall, so I would probably not do well in zero gravity (since it is essentially just falling). I’ll stay here on Earth in my microbiology lab.

Also, speaking of zero gravity, here is a brief musical interlude:

Anarchonist
Anarchonist

@EJ (The Other One)

Thanks!

And that’s a good point. I would go deeper into comparing celestial bodies with manospherians and their orbiters (hee hee) if I had the time. In particular, I’d like to discuss which one of the regular misogynists David covers here would identify with a huge, bloated ball of gas in a constant state of aggravation, but what the hell, we all know the answer would be Paul Elam.

Saphira
Saphira

Ugh, worry about yourself, Thinking Housewife. What I or any other woman does with her life doesn’t affect your life in the least.

Kat
Kat

My boyfriend loves this book (The Mercury Thirteen: The True Story of Thirteen Women and the Dream of Space Flight), my birthday present to him a few years ago.

The Mercury Thirteen trained as astronauts in the early 1960s, but because they were women never got to go into space. My boyfriend wanted to be an astronaut once upon a time, but at least in those days NASA didn’t take people with less than perfect eyesight. So he could relate to their sadness.

The Thinking Housewife strikes me as an Ann Coulter wannabe. She’s just as nasty and smarmy. Does she mean one word of her rant? Whether or not she believes in the truth of her own thoughts, TTH is doing some stinkin’ thinkin’ (as they say in AA)!

TTH appears to have based her thoughts on those of Karen Horney, an early to mid-twentieth-century psychoanalyst who broke with Freud. (Actually, anyone who had ideas of their own about psychoanalysis had to break with Freud because the Great Man did not tolerate dissent.) But TTH takes Horney’s ideas and twists them into an exhortation to women to keep the patriarchy humming along.

Karen Horney’s contributions to psychology and, in particular, the psychology of women, are considerable. She remains one of the only women to be included in personality theory texts and was the first woman to present a paper on feminine psychology at an international conference. Her critique of Freud and the entire discipline of Psychology as androcentric unfolded in light of her observations relating to the sociocultural determinants of women’s inferior position. She found it problematic that women were defined in relation to men and argued that penis envy, if it existed at all, was rooted, not in a wish to possess a penis but, rather, in a desire for the status and recognition afforded to men by the culture. She further argued that men’s need to succeed and leave a name for themselves sprung from womb envy – their inability to carry and bear children. Horney was particularly moved to defend women against the charge that they were naturally masochistic. Women’s dependence on men for love, money, security, and protection led women to overemphasize qualities like beauty and charm, Horney argued, but also to seek meaning through their relationships with husbands, children, and family.

Ledasmom
Ledasmom

If someone had shown up at my door when my children were quite young and told me “You’ve just won a trip to Mars!” my response would have been OH YES PLEASE CAN I LEAVE RIGHT NOW RIGHT THIS INSTANT.
If they had shown up during younger son’s colic period, there would not even have been words.

sunnysombrera
sunnysombrera

Don’t want to go to Mars, but one of my deep heartfelt life goals is to see as much of this beautiful Earth as possible before I die. If someone knocked on my door and offered me the chance to travel the world vs. staying at home with kids, there is NO question which one I’d pick.

reggie, the neighbour's cat
reggie, the neighbour's cat

8 year old me wouldn’t have wanted to go into space. That’s because 8 year old me wanted to be an astronomer. For some reason I was very adamant on that, I think I saw being an astronomer as looking at amazing things and discovering exciting far-off stars and galaxies, and being an astronaut as just some sort of fancy flight attendant. But 8 year olds’ ideas of things are often weird.

Anyway, I honestly find her post just sad. I’m a geographer by training, and one of the reasons I’ve loved geography and wanted it as a career since I first learnt of the subject is that it’s about discovering the world and how everything interacts. It’s the amazingness of the constant “out theres” that I love. While I know there are many people very happy to just have their own little corner and recognise that’s just as valid as my learn-about-all-the-places-and-all-the-processes, I can’t comprehend how someone can have such a viscerally negative reaction to the concept of exploration and discovery.

Monzach
Monzach

@EJ(The Other One)

I’d like to point out that Mrs. Tereshkova wasn’t just the first woman in space, she was also a member of the highest echelon of the Soviet government, having been a member of the Politburo from the 1960s all the way to 1989. She’s also still considered a major general of the Russian Air Force, although she was retired from both the air force and cosmonaut corps by presidential fiat in 1997. And just as an aside, she was awarded the Gold Star of a Hero of the Soviet Union and not one but two Orders of Lenin.

Yes, Valentina Tereshkova is one of my absolute idols. ^_^

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

As someone who thinks “speciesism” is a real thing I feel compelled to point out that poor old Laika was a lady dog 🙁

(There’s also a, probably untrue, rumour that there was a female cosmonaut before Tereshkova but she died in space)

Anarchonist
Anarchonist

@Kat

I didn’t know about Karen Horney! That’s really interesting. I vaguely recalled I had heard of a reverse-Freud before our TTH here, but now I have a name. Thanks!

Kat
Kat

@Anarchonist
You’re welcome! I find all those early psychoanalysts fascinating, except Freud ’cause he had such a bad attitude. Talk about trying to put women in a box!

@Alan Robertshaw
I was so sad when I found out about Laika. Yes, speciesism is really real!

Amused

Why go to Mars when you have HomeGoods? Why explore space when you can decorate? Why learn to read when you can learn to bake? Now, that’s some solid logic right here.

On the other hand, Judgybitch tells us that home decor is misandry. Also misandry: colors, candles, pillows and hard chairs. What is a thinking housewife to do? Perhaps the unifying theory here is that women have the power to make their home really nice, which freaks men out, becauss a nuce home is misandry, and then men run away to space because they like everything cold, lifeless and insipid.

Got it.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

@Monzach:
Thanks for that! I didn’t actually know, but now I do. She was a total badass.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

@Amused

Schrödinger’s Misandry: Every object, action, thought and thing is simultaneously misandry and not misandry until such time as an MRA is asked for their opinion. The waveform resets after ten seconds and can freely change when next asked.

ScarlettAthena
ScarlettAthena

@Kat

Wow! Karen Horney! A blast from my past. She featured in my Ph.D. dissertation! I used her theories to study French novels!

Re: (un)thinking housewife: can we get all these various groups of reactionaries some lessons in reality? Lately in examining these beliefs, I have come to the conclusion that their (ahem) thoughts are not grounded in lived reality.

In this case, as people have pointed out: poor women have always had to work and have not had the luxury of staying at home; there are people who do not fit the gender binary; there are women who have been able to do incredible things *and* somehow have children; there are people who can’t have children.

But really, the complaint of reactionaries is always “Why aren’t people more like MEEEEEE!!??!” Because the fact that people are different from them, make different life choices, come to different conclusions is threatening.

ScarlettAthena
ScarlettAthena

@SFHC

That is perfect! I think we have a new law!

Lea
Lea

Someone is trying way too hard to sell her own life choices. Who is she trying to convince, us or herself?

I am a SAHM. I’m not knocking it, it just isn’t all she is pretending it is. It sure ain’t walking on Mars.

Lea
Lea

I just want to respond to the assertion that women who do not carry their children are automatically fathers.

I adopted three of my kids. I’m not a father. So why would trans women be fathers?

Kat
Kat

@ScarlettAthena

Wow! You know a lot more about Horney than I do. I admire her willingness to go against Freud and stick up for women!

Cyberwulf
Cyberwulf

This is actually the dumbest bit of her post:

Any decent parent would say the same, man or woman. “Oh, a trip to Mars? You mean I leave my kids behind on Earth and never see them again ever? Sure, sign me up.”

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Karl Marx was wrong. Religion isn’t the opiate of the masses, it’s the acid trip of the masses.

“Whoa! This diaper, like, leaves trails when I wave it around in the air!”

“Have you ever, like, really looked at a pacifier? I mean REALLY LOOKED. All of eternity is in that little plastic ring, man…”

Hold it right there, madam. Planets are majestic and stately. Planets do not eat breakfast with underpants on their head and bicker over who took all the red Legos and squirt toothpaste all over the bathroom. Let’s not sentimentalize children. They are cute and amazing, yes, but they aren’t undiscovered blank continents just waiting to be colonized by your parental footprints. They’re people in their own right. And so are you. It’s supremely unhealthy to style yourself as god and master creator of someone else’s cosmos. Curate your own universe, and let your kids curate theirs.

Awesome. I’m sure that was exactly God’s thought process. “Whoops! Forgot to get a little Earthwarming gift for the guys. Nine months of throwing up and labor is already taken…hm…I know! How about an asteroid?”

So, the entire space program is driven by womb envy? Who knew?

Anyone who feels deprived because they never experienced the “vomit comet” should just visit Thinking Housewife’s blog. Same feelings of nausea and disorientation, for free!

@guy

I guess there is at least one person in the world who didn’t like The Martian.

I’m sorry, Matt Damon is no longer allowed to be an astronaut. We’ve already spent trillions of taxpayer dollars rescuing him from space strandings.

LindsayIrene

Are the only choices going to Mars or having a baby? Is there no third option that involves dinosaurs?

Hambeast, Social Justice Beastie
Hambeast, Social Justice Beastie

What is so very revolting and yucky about Mars? The pictures we have show a rocky, desert-like place. I understand that the desert isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but does TTH get queasy flying over/driving through the Mojave? Does she feel the same way about say, Saturn? What about the Moon?? So many questions!

Also, that way of expressing yourself (“revolting!! yucky!!”) probably doesn’t work on anyone who isn’t a toddler* so maybe she does need to get out more!

I don’t want to go to space OR have kids, wonder how she’d parse that?

*probably doesn’t work on all toddlers, either!

Eonid
Eonid

@ Amused
@ SFHC

That made me laugh more than the OP, which was pretty funny (have to find it funny, or it’s just… too… sad. Fuck.)

J Star
J Star

Even fairly retrogressive Heinlein imagined brave women colonizing space along with men, so they could, you know, have babies and change diapers out in the space colonies. Geez.

Leda Atomica
Leda Atomica

You think in the wilderness when the dawn of man was just peeking over the horizon, our forefathers came home from exploring galaxies so that we could lovingly cook the food they had hunted from Titan while the lady ancestors stayed at home staring at their babies and hoped not to be eaten by some horrendous ancient carnivore?

Food was a-plenty so women just set house while men beat it to death with their space-exploring bare hands and dumped it on the dining room table. Because women would have found that icky. Yuck, survival.

God gave men galaxies and planets but forgot to give them the ability to even reach outside our own atmosphere until quite recently? However, the ability to look into the vast “inner space” of our young has been the privilege of all genders forever. It’s not outside of a father’s range of abilities. Sorry you haven’t had that in your own life.

This isn’t thought-evoking brilliance, oh “Thinking” Housewife. This is projecting your own resentments, fears and regrets onto other women. I feel a little bad for you.

Bina

I would hope to shout! Considering that pretty much everything on her blog is dedicated to her life of unthinking smugness, the very title is an oxymoron. Oh, the irony of being a “thinking housewife” who “thinks” that other housewives…can’t think. Special snowflake syndrome much?

And if she’s so enamored of housewifery, maybe she’d better just get on with that and leave all the haaaard, pesky thinking to the menz. I mean, it’s not like she’s any good at it, anyway.

Freemage
Freemage

Policy of Madness
February 22, 2016 at 8:19 pm

So what did God give to women to compensate them for the misfortune and unfairness of never being able to become fathers?

I honestly find this “hear my uterus roar with Goddess power” line crossed with unabashed patriarchy to be fascinating. How does someone get to that stage? What thought processes led to this particular synthesis? This isn’t the first time I’ve run into it, but I still don’t understand how a (cis) woman can convince herself that she is simultaneously the bearer of the greatest power of the world and also inferior to (cis) men in every important respect.

It’s the lesser-known cousin to Sour Grapes. Instead of dissing the thing you don’t have, you opt to believe that what you do have is the be-all and end-all of fantabulousness. So she tells herself that despite having become “potbound”, (a perfect phrase for it), she still somehow is winning the game. Of course, that particular form of cognitive dissonance coping is much easier if you first convince yourself that all of your choices are going to get you first in line at the Pearly Gates. See, she gets the house in this life, and the seat at the head of the table in the afterlife, so it’s fair after all.

dontgiveahoot
February 22, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Not to mention, what about transwomen and infertile cis women who can’t fall pregnant? What about disabled or mentally ill women whose medical issues mean they are not suited for parenthood? What about women who just plain out aren’t suited for parenthood or child guardianship due to personality? Can they go to Mars? (Yay! I can go to Mars! I can go to Mars! I don’t care if it’s yucky, I can save the poor dear Rover!)

Transgender individuals are not going to be on this woman’s radar, let’s face it. If asked directly about it, she’d say that a trans woman was denying her path ordained by God already (by attempting to undo His handiwork in giving her the genitalia He did), so obviously anything else she does is just going to be wrong from there.

Women who aren’t suited for motherhood? Why, such an idea! Clearly, EVERY woman is suited for motherhood, it’s the bestest thing ever and ever, and thus all women should immediately begin working to acquire a husband and make a baby (or 5!). (The ‘husband’ part is required because Moses said so.)

As for those poor unfortunate souls who are stricken with infertility, clearly, God selected them to be adoptive mothers and caregivers for the elderly. Remember, you’re not a real woman if you’re not nurturing someone at the cost of your own identity!

LindsayIrene
February 23, 2016 at 9:55 am

Taking care of baby dinosaurs on Mars sounds pretty awesome, honestly.

Holytape

As a father, I would be happier changing diapers on earth as opposed to doing in outer space. Let’s just say that the results of a diet of mashed sweet potatoes and milk does not bode well in micro-gravity.

Razwick
Razwick

Okay I realize that this woman wouldn’t give a crap either way, but sending all kinds of women (won’t have kids, will but haven’t, already have) into space is REALLY AWESOME for science.

If we have even the faintest chance of ever doing long term space travel where you’d end up conceiving and birthing children in space, these women could provide invaluable data towards understanding just the kinds of effects that space travel have on women’s reproductive systems.

Plus space is just really goddamn cool and no one should be denied the right to strive to explore it if they dedicate themselves and meet the requirements.

guy
guy

My understanding is that the scientific consensus on giving birth in zero-gravity is “don’t do that” and you’re looking at a difficult birth and crippling physical issues at best. Giving birth in Lunar or Martian gravity may well be different, but probably inadvisable if you ever intend to take the child into Earth gravity.

On the other hand, as MRAs are fond of reminding people women are on average lower-mass, and getting any amount of mass out of the atmosphere is really, really expensive and there are serious suggestions that long-range missions in the near future might be most practical with an all-female team.

Razwick
Razwick

Oh definitely, right now all we know is that birth in space is a terrible idea, but we’re never going to change that unless we study it. And to be clear, I’m thinking long-long-term where people might be in an environment with artificial gravity but still in space. Zero G comes with a whole extra set of challenges.

And of course that’s not the only reason that women should be allowed in space, but reproduction or not, I think it’s important that we study the effects of space on both genders. Our bodies are different and in at least some cases will react differently to the stresses of being in space.

Good point about women typically weighing less too, I didn’t think of that. Particularly when you’re comparing peak specimens of both genders.

Also it’s a lot of people’s reaction to toddlers.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

In the early days of space travel serious consideration was given to training amputees to be astronauts. Legs are pretty superfluous in space and it’s just extra weight to get up there. Also amputees use less food and oxygen.

xthetenth
xthetenth

Amputees in space has some pretty good precedent in Douglas Bader, he definitely proved piloting and all that stereotypical stuff isn’t carried in the legs.

Lady Mondegreen
Lady Mondegreen

When I was a little girl I dreamed of being an astronaut.

This was before we went to the moon for the first time. Space exploration was in the zeitgeist, but I had never heard of Valentina Tereshkova, and wasn’t sure if women were allowed to be astronauts. I didn’t let that stop me, though. I put some Tang in a plastic bag (Tang was and is a powder for making an orange-flavored drink, it was advertised as astronauts’ drink) and sat on my parents’ big bed (my spaceship) and fantasized.

I also thought it was cool that women could give birth. Babies didn’t interest me personally, but it was nice to know I would have that superpower, if I ever wanted it. I didn’t want to be a boy. I liked being a girl, and I dreamed of spaceships and space travel.

Poor TTH. Her childhood dreams must have been quashed. Or maybe she just never had much imagination to begin with.

(Still would go to space, if I could.)

taiki
taiki

Hasn’t she seen The seminal work, Mars Needs Moms?

I thought she was the thinking housewife.

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

Freemage | February 23, 2016 at 10:46 am

Kind of like when you were a kid, and you could only afford one game console, so you convinced yourself that you got the “right” console, and everyone else was just stupid and made the “wrong” choice.

And thus started the great Console Wars.

Social Justice Atheist
Social Justice Atheist

@Lea

You’re 100% right about the father thing. I just wasn’t sure how trans women felt about that, and didn’t want to speak for them because I know that it’s not my place. Thanks for the correction.

I’m sorry if I may have offended anyone there. I am not a perfect ally but I am trying hard to learn and listen.

Chris O
Chris O

Re: the unthinking housewife, you should read what her comments section says about the American Revolution.

Or better yet, DON’T read it.

Leah
Leah

See, this stuff gets me really angry. For personal reasons. Outer space has always been my #1 love since I was a little girl, and for this woman (if she even is a woman–it’s the internet, so who knows, although you do give her real name) to suggest that it’s fundamentally at odds with my gender is beyond reprehensible.

Inkswitch
Inkswitch

Dear Men
We are so sorry that you will never know the joys of being a mother. To help take your mind off of the unfairness of it all, feel free to embark on epic journeys across space while taking part in ground-breaking discoveries that advance our species as a whole. I know it isn’t as good as child-rearing, but it’s the best we can do.
Sincerely,
“Thinking” Housewife

Bacon
Bacon

I’m always astonished by how much effort conservatives will go to, just to keep women in our ‘natural’ place. Without ever apparently considering that if it truly was our natural god-ordained place, we probably wouldn’t keep wandering off to do cool stuff?

Freemage
Freemage

Bacon: That’s an excellent point. There must be some reason for it all….

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

There’s nothing wrong for women who want to stay at home, take care of the children, etc and there’s nothing wrong with women who don’t want to get married, have children, etc but the problem is people (including thinking housewife) need to stop shoving “biology” and whatever down other people’s throats, everybody has different likes, dislikes and dreams including me, I don’t want to get pregnant and if everyone was the same then the world would be so boring.

Just my opinions and what I learned but a cis man and trans woman putting sperm in a cis woman and trans man is not the same as a person with a uterus carrying and raising the baby and we don’t need sperm to have children we can have children with bone marrow. And I think a mother is a female parent so a cis woman and trans woman should be called “mother” and father should be cis man and trans man.

Social Justice Atheist
Social Justice Atheist

@Fruitloopsie

You’re absolutely right, thanks to everyone who corrected me. Any female parent would be a mother and any male parent a father, cis or trans. Everyone who corrected me is right, it has nothing to do with whether you carry the child or not. And I suppose a non-binary or agender person would choose to call themselves whatever they feel most comfortable with, but I’m cis so I can’t speak for them. (Not that it’s any of my business anyway.)

*Also I meant to put *Caitlyn Jenner on my post on the first page. I accidentally spelled it with a “K” instead.