antifeminism gross incompetence memes misogyny MRA open thread

Correct Spelling is Misandry! A Memeday Open Thread

Stay in school, MRA kids!
Stay in school, MRA kids!

Dudes, seriously? If you’re this bad at spelling, run your damn memes by someone you know who can spell before posting them for all of the Internet to see.

The word is spelled "therefore."
Wat

Dudes: The word is spelled “therefore.” With an “e” at the end. Also, center your text properly! In addition, I would suggest that you 1) lay off the rape jokes and 2) try to make even a little bit of sense.

mraschoolthen

Dudes: it’s “than,” not “then.” They are different words, with different meanings, and you used the wrong one.

Also, that first sentence is a mess. Change “or have internalized misogyny” to “nor do they have internalized misogyny.”

Once again, a feminist has to do the work that MRAs should be doing themselves. At least this time they spelled “misogyny” correctly.

As for you, dear readers: Feel free to discuss the arguments (or the spelling) of any of these memes. But you can use this as an open thread, too.

@kupo

It’s not just them, you’re the one insisting on remaining ignorant, and you’re the one trying to inject your talking points into threads that have nothing to do with them in order to shout over others.

But you can use this as an open thread, too.

So open thread is not that open even if i respect the rules.
anyway i’m not into being a victim and won’t make a drama of out this situation. move on, everything is fine 😉

arash

Ok if nobody’s interested, i try not to mention regressive-left (also i hope that some are a bit interested) but don’t expect me to just “go away” because i’m not popular, that’s not gonna happen.

@Chiomara

Just because people don’t directly talk to you, doesn’t mean they are not displeased. They may just be avoiding the endless, boring, long worded discussions.

Am i supposed to be psychic?!i know i’m not popular, but that means commentators have absolutely no interest in what i write? hopefully this is not true.

Baby, I wanna know!
Lying that you’re sexing me
When everybody knows
It’s clear that you’re upset with me
Oh, oh, oh.
Sorry, got carried out.

You made me laugh:) i owe you one.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Open threads are for regulars to chat about their lives or random news events, not for genocidally Islamophobic turdmongers to whine about liberals for the fiftieth time this week.

weirwoodtreehugger

Being tedious is a bannable offense.

Anyone else think he should be banned just for this line?

Chiomara
Chiomara

Am i supposed to be psychic?!i know i’m not popular, but the means commentators have absolutely no interest in what i write? hopefully this is not true.

Well, first, no one said you were supposed to know everything. I am just saying that you should consider such possibility. I, for example, am displeased at certain points you have been making every since the first comment, but I avoided to confront you exactly for that reason.
Second, being displeased is not the same as not having interest. This blog is made of things we are displeased to read but have interest in reading. Not comparing you to mras or anything, just saying.
If you don’t want to be regarded as troll, stop this “regressive left” bulshit, in a discussion with a major left majority, and that has nothing to do with politics. It’s disrespectful. What’s next, you’ll call us SJWs? Don’t act like a troll if you don’t want to be treated as one.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

Since this is an open thread…

I shared with Mr. Parasol the truly amazing story about the Nazi veterinarians and those poor exploited puppies, and he immediately pointed out that (obviously!) the puppies got loaded aboard the invisible plane. I love being married to a smart man with a sense of humor.

Leda Atomica

Being tedious is a bannable offense.

@SFHC
not just straw man but also an implicit association fallacy.
So watching “religion” and “faith” constantly is equivalent to fascism which actually can prevent it!
You’re blurring the distinction between the religion and religious people but maybe you’re doing it deliberately.

Open threads are for regulars to chat about their lives or random news events

It’s getting more and more complicated, now the gospel needs interpreters!
Am i supposed to act upon unwritten rules that i don’t know?!

Nequam
Nequam

News: My dad’s doing a lot better– he’s out of the ICU and in a physical therapy rehab center. Once he’s walking well he’ll go home (my mom wasn’t sure she could help him if he couldn’t move under his own power, but she can take care of pretty much everything else).

Also, my first go at repairing a “perfect bound” paperback (the kind where it’s just individual sheets glued into a cover, so they become really annoying when they start to go) went well: FB album link for non-FB people.

George SJW Bush
George SJW Bush

I gotta admit: I’m not all that good at the grammar. Never was, and might not ever will be. I used to go to a good school, did okay and I think I’ve done and gone made my life worthwhile.

The grammar Nazis, I find to be pure and insidious. You can say something on the Youtube, and there are people who say “Hey! You mispelled ‘you’re’! That makes you a dummy!” without even acknowledging what you just said. Now, I’m not the smartest man on the internet, but I think my progressive worldview means I’m at least a couple of hairs above stupid.

Not only is grammar nazism reductive and unargumentative, but, as others have said already, it is also racist, classist, ableist, and probably some other things I’m drawing a blank on right now. We can’t rule out that there may be poor, non-white men who have been deceived by the MRA’s misogyny.

Thank you.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

Glad to hear your dad’s doing better, Nequam!

@arash

“nobody cares” or “shut up” or repeated accusation of being a troll or MRA are brand new forms of rational argument and not methods of Silencing?!
I wished there was more meaningful communication but they’ve made their choices.
I’m quite familiar with methods of silencing and i’m experiencing it on regular basis being a minority in a muslim society, and because of this experience i’m nearly immune to such tactics but no i’m not using it so freely.

Did you even read what I said? I don’t agree that you were silenced. It’s a powerful word and you did agree you understand this.

Almost exclusively, ok?

No. MRA are not exclusive nor almost exclusive to the internet with their thoughts. I mean, I live in a country that has a small population and here a guy got famous for his thesis on the “Sexual Market Theory”. MRA is everywhere, and anti-woman thought is not separate from it. Misogyny is everywhere. These aren’t some individuals floating around in bit space. We even have artists and politicians speaking against women over MRA topics. Please do not belittle this.

@ Nequam

Really glad your dad is doing better! Many strenghts.

Also, those illustrations are so effing gorgeous. I’m an artist myself and a huge fan of this sort of thing!

Rhuu
Rhuu

@Dalillama: I never turn down hugs!

@Nequam: OMG, I love book binding. I took a class in college that included it, and it was seriously one of my favourite parts. I wish I had reasons to just bind books! Though this idea of repairing older books is really intriguing.

I’m also glad to hear about your Dad, having a sick parent isn’t easy.

isidore13
isidore13

I find your posts objectionable and boring, arash. Go away.

@Chiomara

I try to avoid using “regressive left” as possible because i want conversation and if no one wants to hear it, there is no point in bringing it up.
But SJW is at least cute and i have no problem with it 😉
BTW rationalwiki is a fairly left leaning site and has made similar arguments regarding these words, so some parts of the left can be critical of some other parts:
Anyway i’m not sure that this will be the end of it, any strong disagreement and i would be called the “T word”.

@Leda Atomica

Ok they didn’t tried to silence me, now happy?!

Not every form of misogyny or patriarchy is MRA, and not anyone who shares some views with MRAs is an MRA.
There should be boundaries in respect to definitions, how do you define MRA and how do you differentiate it from other forms of misogyny?

Where was there an invisible plane? I only remember the burning Spitfire and I hope the veterinarians weren’t loading puppies onto that!

@arash

As I said, there are actual self-defining MRAs in real life. Maybe I should have been more clear on that? Like, people who say “I’m a men’s rights activist” and they are artists or politicians.

Also, I am not certain why I have to differentiate between misogyny under different lables.

Ok they didn’t tried to silence me, now happy?!

Kinda.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

@ Katz

The invisible plane was behind the windmill. That’s why you can’t see it. Plus, invisible.

@Leda Atomica

Kinda.

i think our discussion is not productive anymore, but anyway thanks for the conversation.

@arash

So sorry for my lack of productivity.

comment image

kupo
kupo

Arash, seriously, stop posting links to regressive left bullshit.

guy
guy

So it’s probably become obvious from my comments that I like both Japanese media and computer science, and I also like the intersection of those things. Specifically, Vocaloids. Be advised that this information is second-hand as I haven’t actually used them myself.

The original plan was essentially to make digitized versions of popular singer’s voices to let people basically make recordings of them singing songs without needing the actual singer to sing that song, and it actually started with an international collaboration, with the first recorded being English. By having the voice provider sing every phoneme in the language, possibly in multiple ways, they could get a voicebank that the Vocaloid software could then string together and edit to reproduce any song. Apparently it’s pretty easy to get it mostly right but making it actually sound human involves fiddling with lots and lots of numbers and is more an art than a science.

However, there was a blindingly obvious problem: if you were a famous singer, how much would you charge for making a Vocaloid voicebank using your voice? Before you answer, know that the Vocaloid software is a “virtual instrument” under Japanese law and if anyone uses the software to make a song they’ve got the copyright (at least as much of the copyright as if they’d sung it themselves).

And so it was that in 2007 one of the participating companies had a better idea: why make an imitation of a celebrity when you can just make a celebrity? So they approached Saki Fujita, who at the time liked singing but did not make money at it*, and asked her to be the voice provider for Hatsune Miku**, written with kanji generally translated as “First Sound of the Future”, and with an associated anime-style personification.
Comparison:

And because at some point it became the future, not existing doesn’t stop Hatsune Miku from appearing on stage at live concerts with packed auditoriums of fans chanting and waving glowsticks*** while she(English-speaking fans generally use gendered pronouns) dances and sings. The technical details are complicated and poorly-explained, but it somehow involves placing multiple projectors behind a nearly-transparent screen to create an illusion of a 3D image, so with the correct positioning and lighting it looks like a freestanding hologram. The company that sells the software has control over use of everything but the voice itself in some manner, but Japanese copyright law is a bit different and fanwork culture is very different and this means less than it would in the US.

I should also note that they don’t really have official characterizations; they’re less characters than they are virtual actors and song producers will put them in a song based on how their voice matches more than overall characterization.

Anyways, Miku was a huge success and a bunch more followed. First the Kagamines, Rin and Len, written with kanji for mirror sound, Rin is a teenage girl and Len is a teenage boy and they have the same voice provider. They are officially specifically not necessarily twins because they make for a great love song duet. Megurine Luka was the first bilingual Vocaloid, a 30-something woman with a strong voice and a clear English voicebank; with their V4 voicebanks Miku and the Kagamines now have pretty good English, though Miku’s is still fairly heavily accented (Saki Fujita is working on it). Gaku and Kaito are male Vocaloids somewhere in the timeline. There’s a bunch more.

It’s also not exclusively confined to Japan; there’s Oliver the blond british cyclops (teenage boy), Maika and Bruno from Spain (middle-aged), and others. Maika was originally recorded in Spanish, but audio processing people worked their mighty sorceries and she has only moderately-accented English. There are also freeware UTAUloids.

One of the reasons I bring this up is because if anyone is curious, Miku is touring North America soon and tickets are available.

*She has since been able to put “Voice of Hatsune Miku” on her resume and now has a singing/voice-acting career, as well as coming back to help with updating voicebanks.
**Japanese names are written family name then given name. Technically you’re supposed to swap the order when writing in romanji but internet anime fans often don’t; I prefer not to when there are also western-order names in the same series. Anyways you’ll see both orders used online; Hatsune Miku is Japanese order.
***This is apparently just how Japan does idol concerts; I’ve seen video of Luka’s voice provider on stage and the audience is pretty much the same.

@Leda Atomica

So sorry for my lack of productivity.

No it doesn’t matter to me anymore, some times i argue for the sake of arguing and then it gets out of hand.

@kupo

Arash, seriously, stop posting links to regressive left bullshit.

That’s all for now and i’m not going to convert! anyone, relax.

George SJW Bush

I’ll admit it: I was never all that good at the grammar. Never have, and probably might not ever will be. I’m privileged as all get out, used to go to a pretty good school and I’ve gone and done made my life pretty worthwhile, I think.

Grammar Nazis are pure and insidious. There are people on the Youtube where when you say something, they’ll say back, “Hey! You misspelled ‘you’re’. That makes you a dummy!” and they won’t even pretend to reply to your argument. Now, I may not be the most intelligent man on the internet, but I think that my progressive worldview puts me a few hairs above “dummy”

Not only is grammar nazisim unperceptive and unargumentative, but it’s also, like other folks said here, racist, classist, ableist, and probably a bunch of other things I’m drawing a blank on right now. We cannot rule out the possibility that there are poor people of color who have been tricked by the MRA’s misogyny! If there’s one thing that I can say that I believe in, it’s that we should never, ever kick a dying puppy.

Thank you.

But how can the veterinarians then be running to save the puppies, since they’re running towards us and the windmill is behind them?

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

On the topic of mocking for spelling: I’m very much on the same page as others here.

If these dusty turnips want to make fun of people for being “less intelligent” or “less rational” than them, then they need to really use the spell-check, otherwise it completely destroys their argument about how much “more intelligent” they are than everyone else, especially us feeemales.

My mother’s dyslexic, and I have a mild form of dyslexia myself, but even I manage just fine. Ask Jackie, I’m helpless without a spell-check, hence why I insist that my browser has one.

Of course, browser spell-checkers aren’t infallible, there are some words they don’t know or aren’t aware of, but that’s when I use Google to double-check it and then click “Add to Dictionary”.

@Nequam: I’m glad to hear your dad’s doing better!

@Rhuu: I’m so sorry you have to deal with that with your family. It’s so hard to love someone who hates you for who you are, but still claim to love you.

And it is bullshit that an “all-knowing, loving” being would know that you’re going to be queer (my apologies if you don’t want this term applied to you) and then condemn you for it. This is a question I wrestled with myself when I was coming to terms with my sexuality. “Am I playing a game that was rigged against me from the start?” ect. It’s a terrible fate to give to anyone who has questions about their sexuality.

If it comes down to it, and you can’t come out to your sister before she flies out, you might want to wait until you’re in a public place to out yourself to her, that way she might not make a scene at least, and she’ll have time to swallow the situation and understand it before she does anything rash like disowning you or something.

It might also help to stand your ground a bit, and tell your family that you’re not going to hide who you are for their sakes, and if they don’t care for it, it doesn’t matter, because it’s your life and your sexuality, not theirs. It shouldn’t affect them in the slightest.

Only if you want to though. This is just what I’d do in that situation, and I’m not always the best at advice.

Pandapool -- The Species that Endangers YOU (aka Jackie; currently using they/their, he/his, she/her pronouns)

…I’ve never really noticed it.

But, like, you’ve seen ME without spellcheck.

It’s awful.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

The Nazi veterinarians don’t care about saving the puppies. They care more about the biowarfare pigs.

Bina

Is “Arash” another way of saying “sealion”? Because damn, dude, you’re leaving a lot of sealion shit lying around.

And speaking as a leftist, Arash, your whole “regressive left” schtick is bullshit. The left is PROgressive, the right is REgressive. Count me in as one more person who is tired of your one-note noise and thinks that off is the direction in which you need to fuck.

arash

As promised i did not start anything related to regressive left:
@Bina

Your childish argument is full of historical and political illiteracy.
So USSR was”PROgressive”in its all glory?!
Suppression of dissent, shutting down the free speech and so on weren’t really progressive! but USSR is considered a leftist regime.

French Revolution was leftist (the first), but they achieved Declaration of the Rights of Man but also the Reign of Terror and many other unnecessary and barbarian bloodshed.

Do you consider their atrocities regressive?! then the left can be regressive, if you don’t then your Progressivism is fucking awful.

Ok David
It’s your site and its your rules, i won’t make any further trouble.
bye

Lady Mondegreen
Lady Mondegreen

@dust bunny

I tend toward trans-friendly gender abolitionism, and at the moment see all positive or neutral character traits as ungendered rather than “feminine” or “masculine” and the dichotomy as inherently sexist, retrograde and limiting, but this view has its issues and most of all makes living as a closeted nonbinary in 2016 actively painful. I might have less dysphoria if I could see femininity as an arbitrary and possibly statistically descriptive, but not normative, defining or limiting collection of character traits.

I agree with you that character traits should not be gendered, that the dichotomy is inherently sexist, and that femininity is an arbitrary, possibly statistically descriptive, but [should not be] normative, defining or limiting collection of character traits.

Sadly, this view sometimes gets shouted down, and expressing it can even result in vilification and accusations of transphobia. And to be fair some of the people who hold this view *are* transphobic–but many are not. I’ve seen a lot of nastiness and irrationality on both sides.

If it makes you feel any better, I know plenty of trans people, and others who fully support trans people, who hold this point of view, and are fighting back against the silencing tactics that are popular with a subset of activists.

Personally, I wish for a world where everyone can be who they want to be, in terms of their “presentation”–honestly, fuck gender norms. And if a person’s body map says one thing and their tender bits feel wrong to them and they want to modify them, that option should be economically and socially acceptable. Nobody should be shamed for being trans.

As for the spelling thing–I’ll just say this. Shaming somebody for poor spelling or idiosyncratic grammar that because they grew up poor, were under-educated, have cognitive disabilites, etc. is certainly wrong. It does not follow that it is always wrong to shame people for poor spelling and grammar. I simply do not believe that the people making these memes don’t know how to spell words that are central to their worldview, or, unable to spell those words, they aren’t capable of correcting errors after someone points it out.

This has nothing to do with “don’t participate in a movement if you can’t spell.” If you can’t spell, you can ask a friend to spot check–and you should. .
As somebody above pointed out, the sloppiness on display is evidence of sloppy thinking. That’s really what’s being mocked, imo.

Lady Mondegreen
Lady Mondegreen

Laziness on my part–shame away! But seriously, if my intention were to make a meme–which by definition is intended to be widespread–I’d at least review my first draft before sharing it.

I think David doesn’t want argument, so I’ll shut up now. I did want to clarify though, because I understand the objection. I lean toward “context over absolute prohibition”–but OMMV.

Lady Mondegreen
Lady Mondegreen

@Tragedy of the Commas, I love your nym–and your etymology. 🙂

Rhuu
Rhuu

@Paradoxical Intention: Thanks for the advice, I’ll definitely think on it. The nice thing with being in a large city is that if she is visiting it would be fairly easy to avoid her if things went south, haha.

Plus this is MY space, y’know? If anything happens, I can totally transit away with exactly 0 problems.

Edited to add: Sorry if the ‘open thread’ thing is sort of over, I actually wanted to post on the last one, but got nervous and erased everything I’d written.

Also, I took the survey for Imaginary Petal’s Otter! I wished there was a spot to explain our choices, because I would have ordered things slightly differently if I could explain why.

I also didn’t get sent to enter for any amazon gift cards, so I hope that didn’t mess up my response!

mildlymagnificent
mildlymagnificent

But one privilege most people posting here seem to have is that they’re pretty smart. Making fun of people who aren’t as smart does seem like punching down.

I don’t think that’s the issue at all. I’m an absolute demon for correct spelling and grammar with my students — but I don’t grammar-nazi people’s obvious typos and other mis-spellings when they’re simply writing comments on blogs or news sites.

However … Harrumph, clears throat. Anyone who’s designing a book cover, or an announcement for a poster to go on walls and noticeboards, or a kind-of-artwork-but-not-really meme or whatever, or other sign-writing type work is obliged to pay careful attention to their spelling. (And other things like omissions or duplications of words or word endings – very easy to do when the work requires attention to details smaller than whole words.)

There’s a huge difference between being nagged at for getting there and their mixed up in a blog comment and not checking or refusing to check the words in your art-type work that you expect others to use or re-tweet or cite or otherwise spread around for public consumption.

One’s trivial and ephemeral, almost private. The other is meant for public display and dissemination. That difference is significant in my view.

Orion
Orion

WWTH, Welcome back. Rhuu, sorry to hear you’re having a hard time of it. Guy, thanks for the post about vocaloids, cool stuff.

Arash, maybe you’re gone, but just fyi, I was among the people silently uninterested in and unhappy with your posts. I would have called you out if I were posting more, but it’s because of you that I was posting less. You made me feel uncomfortable saying anything about my own relationship with unbelief, and honestly uncomfortable showing my face after plighting my troth to movement atheism.

Chiomara, Do you live in Brazil? Or was that your boyfriend, or am I totally off-base?

Chiomara
Chiomara

@Orion
I am Brazilian, live in Brazil, and my German bf lives in Germany 🙂

Orion
Orion

Chiomara,

Much our old friend Fifth Sybilline, I have powerful friends at the UN.

A little bird told me that if someone wanted to find some Portuguese-language literature on gifted psychology or groups working on gifted issues in Brazil, they should ask

Eunice M. L. Soriano de Alencar, Ph.D., Professor Emerita of Psychology at the University of Brasília, Brazil

I do *everything* single handed
I do *everything* single handed

@ Imaginary Petal: Otterwards

I took the survey, and am interested in the results. Without giving away the specifics, I am really interested in the results of last part. I have reasons for each selection, but only a short period. I know if I have longer to think about it, ie in reality, I would have different answers. And – there are some considerations that would be more important in reality. The level of information given is pretty slim, but would be more obvious in reality.

To the others – take the survey. really easy and actually interesting. Took me about 5 minutes && don’t let the boilerplate disclosures on the first page throw you off.

Leda Atomica

OK I am now dying looking at the AbFab gif. It never occurred to me Edina was sitting like that behind Patsy.

EJ (The Other One)

Guy:
So what you’re saying is that this was a documentary?

Kat
Kat

@Nequam
I’m so glad that your dad is doing better. I know that you’re breathing a little easier now.

And you rescue books?! Well done!

Kat
Kat

@dust bunny

I can’t see what other reason there would be to value correct spelling highly at all, apart from the belief that it is bad to appear to have low intelligence, a learning disorder or a poor education.

Perfect–or even really good–spelling is by no means a requirement for a well-reasoned, insightful comment. In fact, good spelling has nothing at all to do with how good a piece of writing is.

That said, standardized spelling makes it easier to understand what a commenter is saying.

An instructor of mine told my class many years ago that a study (or maybe studies?) had been done of how people read writing with errors and inconsistencies in it. It was found that readers paused briefly at each error and inconsistency. So I try to make sure that my comments are error-free. But errors are going to slip through anyway.

I don’t usually believe in belittling a person for bad spelling, but I’ll make an exception for these people.

Okay, but don’t you think there’s necessarily going to be some collateral belittling toward everyone who has trouble spelling?

No, I don’t belittle people who have trouble spelling unless they are hateful jerks. And if they are hateful jerks, I might start in on their punctuation and grammar too.

My boyfriend is not a good speller. But he’s a really good writer and funny too.

I’m not actually judgmental about MRAs’ spelling. But it’s terrific when they do misspell their communiques–as they so often do–because then I get to point out that they are not the omniscient, edgy superheroes they imagine themselves to be.