a voice for men antifeminism artistry comics entitled babies evil ugly women evil working women irony alert memes men who should not ever be with women ever misogynoir misogyny MRA post contains sarcasm reactionary bullshit red pill women's suffrage

MRA’s and Their Future-tense Schadenfreude: Memeday, Early Edition

Found on AVFM's Facebook page
Found on AVFM’s Facebook page

Every Friday is Memeday here at We Hunted the Mammoth, but this week I’m going to start the celebration a day early, with a collection of “told you so!” memes I found, mostly, on Men’s Rights and other antifeminist Facebook pages.

Now, most of us human beings enjoy a bit of Schadenfreude now and then; it’s not the most noble of emotions, but it’s kind of hard to resist laughing a little when some horrible person gets their comeuppance.

Men’s Rights Activists are a pretty bitter and immature bunch, so it’s hardly a shock to see them giggling away at other people’s misfortunes. But it’s still a bit surprising to see just how many of the memes they create and/or pass along are little more than meanspirited “told you sos.”

Even more striking is how many of them offer up a sort of future-tense Schadenfreude. They’re not laughing because some feminist they hate has gotten their comeuppance; they’re laughing at the possibility that this feminist will get their comeuppance some time in the future. And I don’t think I’m wrong to see a sort of anxious desperation underlying these memes; I think on some level most MRAs know their Schadenfreudy fantasies aren’t going to come true.

The meme posted at the top of the page — I posted it before in a roundup of memes from A Voice for Men — is a visual representation of the rather tired claim, repeated endlessly by MRAs, that feminist women will end up dying alone surrounded by a small army of cats.

It’s not clear to me exactly why MRAs find this prediction quite so hilarious. Women tend to live longer than men, which means that even the most staunchly antifeminist women are likely to outlive their partners, giving them pretty much the same chance of ending up “alone” late in their lives, at least if they have no family or friends outside of their late husbands.

But for some reason there aren’t a lot of feminists sitting around cackling at the thought of GirlWritesWhat dying alone at some date in the not-so-near future. Because that’s petty, and tacky, and mean.

In addition to being a stony-hearted bunch, MRAs also tend to be a bit impatient, and like to imagine their sworn feminist enemies having their Waterloos long before they get to the age of seventy.

And so MRAs fantasize about feminists having a sudden realization that they were wrong and the MRAs were right — shortly after hitting age 30 or whenever it is that modern misogynists like to imagine that women magically turn into pumpkin-faced uggos.

nothingtoshow

Dudes, only MRAs, misogynists and pedophiles think that a woman’s “best years” are in her teens and early 20s.

By why wait for these imaginary feminists to have some sort of drastically premature mid-life crisis when you can just pretend that they’ll all be miserable just as soon as they graduate from college with their women’s studies degrees.

sandwich

Whoever made this meme picked an awfully cheerful-looking woman to represent a young feminist brokenhearted over having to work at Subway.

But women don’t have to work in food service to be miserable, the mememakers insist. Having to work ANY job at all is going to make them regret their feminism. Because apparently, before feminism came along, women were pampered creatures who slept all day on silk sheets, surrounded by bon-bon wrappers and an assortment of tiny dogs, while their husbands worked 25-hour-days in the salt mines.

thelook

Huh. Somehow I missed the part where feminism told women that working in an office was the closest thing to paradise on earth

Then there’s this tired trope, a lovely example of misogynoir turned into a meme by a black MRA cartoonist I first noticed on DeviantArt a couple of years ago.

beatutchick

And let’s end this survey of future-tense schadenfreude with a meme that somehow manages to work in two historical cartoons I really like and that I think I’ve posted here before.

worthit

I’m going to say, “yes,” except perhaps the portion of her life she spent married to a dickhead.

And because the first two cartoons there deserve better than to be shoved into a dopey antifeminist meme, let’s look at them in all their full-sized glory.

nobody

We love you, kickass suffragette girl!

This cartoon was originally intended as anti-suffragette propaganda, but, seriously, that girl is AWESOME.

Looking through the collection of anti-sufragette cartoons featured on the post I linked to above, I noticed another one that shows pretty clearly just how ancient and utterly unoriginal the “you feminists will all die alone” trope really is.

suffragetteat50

See, wanting the vote makes women UGLY!

Is is even necessary to point out the obvious: that despite all the mean cartoons they inspired, the suffragettes WON.

And here’s that other cartoon, of more recent vintage:

rmancelib

Wait, is that redhaired gal dating Carl Sagan?

Bina

Aaand that weird “no flake the snakes” thing only jumps back to…here.

It’s not two words, but it’s googlewhacky enough for me.

Rhuu
Rhuu

@ WWTH: Good luck with your dental emergencies. I just came back from the dentist, actually, and am sitting here with a mostly thawed face from having more cavities filled… Aaaah so much money. Why are teeth so expensive?

Good luck saving up money to get out of the house, I’m sorry things keep popping up to delay that.

@Freemage and @dreemr: So nice to hear about more awesome people being awesome!

Jarnsaxa
Jarnsaxa

When did we start carrying axes? When *didn’t* we carry axes!?!

Dammit, the MRAs are right, I feel cheated by feminism!

I don’t have an axe!

WHERE IS MY AXE??!!

contrapangloss
contrapangloss

Ow, WWTH!

Wisdom teeth stink. They have no wisdom. They are jerk teeth. I ended up having all of mine taken out in one whack, because I didn’t want to have to deal with it more than once, and we were pretty sure they all would end up impacted…

Smoothies are your friend.

I’m sorry that it’s messing up other life plans, too.

@Jarnsaxa

Where were you when they were handing out axes? It was a party. There was this lovely double axe that I had to turn down… Maybe check in the nearest feminist secret bunker? They might have an axe or two buried under the kitty kibble stockpiles.

The passcode for the bunker door should have been communicated in Katie’s last State of the Matriarchy address.

BoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoink
BoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoink

Why does 70 & lonely only apply to women, and not MGTOWs?

bluecat
bluecat

@ WWTH – Hugs to you. Feel free to grumble – wisdom teeth are vile. It’s one of the few times when the words “better off without them” is unqualified.

True also of MGTOWs, of course.

I can’t think of many grimmer futures than reaching your 70s, still believing you deserve a partner who is in their 20s or so (or, if you adjust your expectations, nursing a resentment for the fact that people do get old and that your partner might have loved someone before they met you) while at the same time having learnt nothing at all about relationships in all the time you’ve been on the planet.

weirwoodtreehugger

Thanks for the sympathy everyone! And yeah, wisdom teeth probably are a pretty good analogy for MGTOW. They’re useless, annoying, and do nothing but cause trouble and pain.

I probably shouldn’t drink too much more because I don’t want to get oral surgery with a hangover, but I just had a glass of pinot noir and am now drinking a mug of cocoa with Fireball whiskey and that’s numbing the pain better than the otc painkillers are.

Also, welcome to the new posters that just got out of moderation.

Vicious Babushka
Vicious Babushka

Do none of these pouty little boychildren have mothers? Whose basement do they live in?

And they NEVER LEAVE ON THEIR OWN. Maybe we should surgically extract all the MGTOWs.

I hope it goes swimmingly and I wish you minimal swelling. IME that’s the nicest thing you can say to someone getting oral surgery.

kupo
kupo

@wwth
Feel better! Be sure to drink plenty of water; you don’t want to go into any surgery dehydrated.

Mrs. B
Mrs. B

I don’t understand Patrick Fox. I don’t understand why he would even subject his son to that…

It sounds to me like he hates his ex more than he loves his son. Vile in every sense of the word.

Jarnsaxa
Jarnsaxa

Maybe check in the nearest feminist secret bunker?

Or at least a naginata or something! I need something with some reach!

OT

This is new newz 2 me.

It turns out that most of the artists in prehistoric times, the ones who did cave paintings, were women!

That is, if such notoriously irresponsible radical feminist rags as the Christian Science Monitor can be believed.

And what does it mean that 75 percent of the cave paintings were created by women?

Traditional explanations for the hand prints have focused on hunting or perhaps shamanism, but the prevalence of women’s hands has reopened the question of what they mean. One researcher has suggested that these could relate to midwifery or fertility, either of humans or the animals drawn on the cave walls. But it could be that women were more involved in hunting and religious rituals than previously thought.

There was a discussion here at WHTM a month or so ago about how some scholars believe that early women were hunters, perhaps just as much as early men.

So not only did we women birth babies and raise them and do the gathering and cleaning and cooking and garment-making and doctoring (and maybe a lot of the hunting too), we were (most of) the artists! (Not incidentally, this sounds like my own mother, who lived in the 20th and 21st centuries.)

And the manosphere–at least one of whom believes they “hunted the mammoth for [women]”–repay us with derision and fury and possibly much, much worse.

Manosphere, please reexamine everything you thought you knew.

Now would be a good time.

Ashara Payne
Ashara Payne
Reply to  Kat

Haha, it’s so funny how scientists (probably male), or at least people who report on scientists’ work, just assume that men did the hunting and built civilization just because that’s the most obvious idea. I mean, if women are pregnant, breastfeeding and raising children it’s obviously much harder to do things that require hard physical labour or a long time away from the tribe. So they just assume that’s the way things were. No-one actually knows. Aren’t there theories that Abrahamic religions invented marriage and patriarchy precisely to control and subjugate women? Was Dan Brown even right in the DaVinci code? Haha, I doubt that. I love that the authors of ‘Holy Blood, Holy Grail’ sued him and lost, because it’s only plagiarism if it’s fiction, and they claimed it was fact.

It reminds me of ‘The Great Global Warming Swindle’, which has since been debunked, which claimed that just because CO2 levels were higher when temperatures were higher, doesn’t mean it caused them. Correlation does not mean causation. Like an unhealthy lifestyle causes disease, not obesity, etc. I’ve always thought ideal weights and BMI are based more on appearance than health. Most health advice is based on studies on men, not men and women. Is there a male equivalent of a gynaecologist? Sorry, rambling…

Dr Hoveiny
Dr Hoveiny

WWTH – I hope that goes alright! Definitely an excuse to eat mostly ice cream, etc for a while.

Part of me wants to unblock FlakeSnake and play along with his nonsense. My dad did that with scam artists on eBay when he was helping me buy a car, it was pretty funny. But, eh, seems slightly risky/not worth my time.

I’m glad to hear all these great stories about people’s female relatives and families and such.

Here’s a feel-good story of sorts, I had a guy on the train masturbating in front of me the other day (wait for it). He had a newspaper held awkwardly in one hand so I couldn’t see his face, but the jerking off was clearly meant for me to see. I wasn’t sure he was doing that for a while (that feeling of, am I really seeing this?), but when I was, I yelled “Hey you creep, want me to take your picture? I’ll put you on Instagram. Hey everybody, this guy is jerking off” etc etc. He scuttled away and off the train, and I explained to the people around me what had happened. Yes, I wish I could unsee it, but I think that turned out pretty well, considering.

My favorite speculation about cave paintings is that the caves were nurseries and the paintings were put there to amuse the children.

(This theory seems to be wrong in that prehistoric people didn’t seem to segregate children from adults like we do now, so there wouldn’t have been a particular place for the children, but as far as the purpose of the art goes, who knows?)

weirwoodtreehugger

Definitely an excuse to eat mostly ice cream, etc for a while.

Yaaasss! I love ice cream so much that I kind of lack self control around it. So I rarely allow myself to buy it. A carton is only allowed when I’m ill. A pint is allowed if I’m particularly stressed or sad. I will be partaking of the ice creams this weekend for sure.

comment image

Fred_the_Dog
Fred_the_Dog

I’m a few months from 60 — when is this loneliness thing supposed to start? Exactly at 70? Does someone come and kidnap all your friends and family on your birthday, or what?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Kale
Kale

– the hatchet comes from old skool feminist and prohibitonist Carrie Nation, who legendarily threatened bar owners with an axe. Part of the reason women supported prohibition at the time was due to domestic violence and the linked issue of financial dependence due, of course, to oppression. Nation died in 1911.

– the cartoon of the black nerd vs. the black jock is pretty damn racist. The stereotype of the thug, misogynoir that paints black women as sex objects, etc… its just really clearly some pretty sad internalized racism.

– MRAs & their ilk seem to really think all women care about and exist for is men. They actually seem to think that feminism is some sort of plot intertwined with men’s sex lives, because that’s all we’re there for, apparently. Because lesbians dont exist, asexual women, trans people, intersex ppl etc dont exist, (assigned) women cant possibly find meaning in careers or art or our families and friends or just the pleasures of living? They want us to depend on men and they want to be angry at us for it. They can fuck off and go their own way with theie bullshit, we areng interested.

erika
erika

My mom is 70 living alone in a fabulous new eco-friendly house in an “active living” 55+ community where she walks with her friends 4 miles a day and they take turns hosting dinner parties. Every Friday there’s a dinner or party or gathering in the community club house. She has all sorts of hobbies and a crazy busy social life. She’s also friends with both of her ex husbands and an ARDENT feminist.

I can’t wait to be 70 and without a whiney-ass MRA style manbaby in my life.

mechazawa
mechazawa

my US history is really rusty but as for the axe thing, i’m pretty sure it’s a reference to an incident that happened way back when prohibition was gaining momentum. the anti-alcohol movement was tied to the feminist movement by the idea that alcohol ended up causing a lot of spousal abuse, so at one point one woman smashed up a bar with an axe, in protest.

daeros

Ahhh, MGTOW, I hate to break this to you but if You refuse to go out with the Feminist I’m polyamorous Practice a Form that allows them to see Other men and I would be MORE Than happy take ALL of the feminist that YOU don’t want. But what I find so Delightable about this is I get to rain on your Parade by making being a Feminst NOT HAVE CONSEQUENCES and NOT COOPERATING with your little cult! and THAT is PRICELESS.

Defiance!

LindsayIrene

Why does 70 & lonely only apply to women, and not MGTOWs?

Because it only applies if you have cats? (No self-respecting cat would stay with a MGTOW.)

Bryce
Bryce

Public Service Announcement: Warning, Ladies, you may indeed be missing out on decades spent clearing up after bastards who hate you.

Sure that’ll be effective.

mechazawa
mechazawa

oh– a lot of people already figured out the axe thing, whoops.

Orion
Orion

WWTH, I hope your surgery goes smoothly and your recovery is swift.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ ashara

That case takes on a new significance if you know that the authors’ publishers indemnified them for legal costs; and that in both cases that was Random House.

I’m sure they did it for moral reasons though to establish the truth, and the fact that both books sold additional millions as a result of the trial is just a coincidence.

(The judge played along and there is a coded message in his judgement)

@Falconer
Your three-year-olds are sooo cute!

Imaginary Petal (formerly dhag85, trying out pronouns - they/their)
Imaginary Petal (formerly dhag85, trying out pronouns - they/their)

Nthing praises to Falconer’s adorable kids.

@WWTH
Good luck with the wisdom teeth!

I was prescribed codeine when mine were removed. It took me a while to figure out I’d rather have the discomfort than the wooziness.

Kat

I’d rather be 70 and lonely than 70 and dealing with a selfish, brutal, power-tripping, ignorant lout.

But that’s just me.

EJ (The Other One)

Ugh, teeth problems are the worst. All my best wishes / hugs, WWTH.

occasional reader
occasional reader

> BoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoink
Yeah, this is a bit strange. As MGTOW foster to avoid women, they are also likely going to remain alone till the last step. For people claming to be logical, it is weird… Well, some pseudo-scientists explain all with the “plasma” stuff, i guess this people explain all their problem with “feminism”…

@daeros
Ha, ha! Your plan is brilliant!

Woman haters! Driving women into the arms of other men–not to mention the arms of other people of all genders–since the first woman hater started to hate.

EJ (The Other One)

@Kat:

since the first woman hater started to hate.

Hah! Yes.

I like to think that the very first proto-MRA was being literal when he said “I hunted the mammoth for you.” He went out there and killed something huge in order to get the attention of a woman who didn’t like him, and she still didn’t reward him with sex? Well, fine. See if he bothers inventing fire for her.

Ellesar
Ellesar

As many people have pointed out in various ways – women are much better at growing older alone. Lone men are much less healthy in every way. Widows do better than widowers, divorced women do better than divorced men. There are lots and lots of reasons for this, and Toxic Masculinity is right in the middle.

MGTOW in the long term is likely to produce poorer outcomes for men’s health – it already does without the silly ‘movement’ – and as these men are so resentful and obsessed with hating women it is likely that they will actually be worse off than the current generation. But I also expect they will be such a small group that they will be statistically insignificant.

@EJ (The Other One)

Hilarious!

And I must point out that MRAs have certainly devolved since the first one strode this earth.

Your proto-MRA was actually kind of reasonable. He brought her a gift, a very useful one. When she rejected him again, his feelings were hurt, but he refrained from calling her names, threatening her, or attacking her. I almost like him.

WeirwoodTreeHugger
WeirwoodTreeHugger

When I was contractor for the VA, one of my jobs was time update their emergency contact information. It was common for them to be widowed and remarried within the span of a year. A lot of older men just can’t be alone. I think a lot of it is that older men never learned to take care of a home. They were taught that cooking, cleaning, organizing and the like we’re women’s work. There are apparently still a lot of young men that go from having their mom do their chores and run their lives to having their wives do it. Luckily, I don’t know any of these men, but apparently they’re out there.

I don’t know that it’s just that, though. My parents are in their early 60s and divorced about 15 years ago. My mom is perfectly happy being single and living with just – gasp! – her cat. My dad, not so much. He’s been a serial monogamist since. The year since his fiancee died has been the longest he’s been without female companionship. But he’s completely capable of doing his own housework and cooking. So I think men are also socialized to be emotionally dependent on women.

I think these memes are part of a larger culture that sends women the message that we should fear being alone precisely because men need us more than we need them. Part of male privilege is that men get to sign over both domestic and emotional labor to the women in their lives. If women decide marriage is an option we only take if we want to, out of love. Men increasingly have to do it themselves. So it becomes necessary to use scare tactics to make sure we volunteer to stay in our right places as the caretakers of men. I think the fact that more and more women are seeing that relationships should have equality in not just who has paid jobs but who does everything else is a huge part of manosphere rage.

Mortarius
Mortarius

Some commenters asked “Where are all these old feminists regretting feminism?”

Well I have a better answer, here is an old PUA melting down as he ages:

kupo
kupo

Yeah, I dated a guy in his mid-thirties whose mom would drive out every weekend from her home ~200 miles away to do his chores for him. He didn’t do any of his own laundry. She treated him like he was a teenager in pretty much every way. For those keeping score, it’s the same ex who suggested I shouldn’t cook or clean because gender roles, much like our recently flounced troll.

I also had a coworker whose mom got tired of his place being messy whenever she would visit that she bought him a maid service. He was in his late twenties, I believe.

chesselwitt
chesselwitt

@dreemr

For a portion of my life I felt like I “should” pursue a relationship, that I “should” make time to invest in a romantic partner, lest I grow old and become lonely. I stopped feeling that way sometime in my early 40s, when I just admitted to myself that, as much as I genuinely enjoy the company and friendships of men, I simply don’t like living with them and would prefer to be on my own.

When I was in my 20s I thought I “should” be in a romantic relationship because that was what you were supposed to do. However, I never put a whole lot of effort into it and it’s only now that I’m in my 40s that I’ve come to the realization that I’m aromantic. The idea of being in a romantic relationship and especially living with someone makes my shoulders go up around my ears. Instead, I’m living happily by myself with my two cats and my life is good.

Dr Hoveiny
Dr Hoveiny

@Mortarius

Yikes, I was wondering about him recently. His poor poor kids. Pick up Granny? Shudder.

I remember him as being tame in comparison to, say, Roosh, but it seems he’s pretty close in awfulness.

dreemr
dreemr

@chesselwitt – glad you realized that and are good with it! I think it definitely gets easier to know what you want out of life when you get a little older. Here’s to building the life YOU want and that makes you happiest!

WeirwoodTreeHugger
WeirwoodTreeHugger

To continue the MGTOW – wisdom teeth analogy, they both have apocryphal names. Wisdom teeth aren’t wise and MGTOWs aren’t actually going their own way!

Okay. I’ll stop obsessing about wisdom teeth now.

Hambeast, Social Justice Beastie
Hambeast, Social Justice Beastie

BoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoink

Why does 70 & lonely only apply to women, and not MGTOWs?

Oh! Oh! I know this one!!

You see, MGTOWs aren’t spending their time and money on hypergamous women* during their most productive years. This means they’ll be able to have amazing homes, sweet rides, and fat bank accounts in their dotage, which everyone** knows is like catnip to the young HB10s, who will flock to them like they do to Charlie Sheen!

So, 70 for wimmen means cats and loneliness and 70 for MGTOWs means Playboy mansion lite. Got it?

*who don’t want them, anyway

**who reads their nonsense

chesselwitt
chesselwitt

@ Kat

I’ve come to the conclusion that I must have some messed up cell receptors, because opiods do nothing for me. At one time or another I’ve been prescribed just about everything, and they don’t touch me- no pain relief, no sleepiness, nothing. Pretty much the only pain med that helps me is ibuprofen which means I’m screwed if anything ever happens to my liver and I can’t take it any more.

=8)-DX
=8)-DX

I just have to say:
“Tales of ROMANCE, taken from REAL LIFE!”

Ah, the deep-seated optimism of the comic-book cover past! Gives one that nostalgia in the sung words of Suzanne Vega:

“look at all the waifs of Dickensian England
why is it their suffering is more picturesque?
must be cause their rags are so very Victorian
the ones here at home just don’t give it their best”

But of course:

“but trouble is still trouble and evil still evil
sometimes we wonder; is there more now, or less?
if we had a tool or could tally the handfuls
measure for measure it’s the same would be my guess”

daeros

kupo
February 19, 2016 at 8:47 am

That brightens my day believe it or not. I could actually use a maid myself.

But I can keep track of my Laundry, It’s keeping my ROOM clean I REALLY need the help with.

But if I got help I’d litterally have to earn the money myself. My mom wouldn’t “come visit my dorm” see it messy get frustrated and call for maid services.

She just wouldn’t come over and would essentially refuse to visit until it was clean.

Oh and if I wanted help i’d have to earn the money to hire myself.

No sympathy, no mercy, pretty scorched earn. Dude’s are privileged.

It’s pathetic.

What’s even worse is that so few of them seem to even be self concious about it, like I know I wouldn’t want mon a’mour to have to clean in here, I wouldn’t want her to SEE it to clean in the first place.

embarassing!!!

These guys have been essentially socialized to believe they could -expect- or -find- somebody else that would take care of it too.

I have no such expectations. I realize that If I want somebody else to clean for me I’m going to have to pay them to do it.

Plus I’m a philogynist so I LOVE women and am EXTREMELY greatful for the cleaniness they provide

Those guys though it’s like they’re not even greatful. Women won’t sleep with them on top of cleaning for them.

On top of everything else women do for them already.

daeros

Oh Plus if I wanted to actually be able to hire a maid I’d probably have to be on my own in another unit because my father would get very upset at the idea of my spending money that way here so like effectively the only way I can be empowered to spend my own money the way I see fit is not to be under his grasp because he’s going to Insert his input no matter what.