4chan antifeminism facebook gullibility memes misogyny TROOOLLLL!! vaginas

Memeday: Popsicles with a fishy smell

Definitely not a freebleeder.
Definitely not a freebleeder.

Do you remember “freebleeding,” that phony “radical feminist movement” protesting the tyranny of maxipads and the joy of free-flowing menstrual blood that 4chan tried their hardest to convince feminists was a totes real thing they should all sign up for right away?

While a tiny number of real feminists were discussing the idea before 4chan got hold of it, 4chan tried to turn a protest of sorts against menstrual shaming into a fun fad that involved pretty much bleeding on anything and everything one could possibly bleed upon.

The irony, of course, was that the only people gullible enough to fall for the hoax hook line and tampon weren’t feminists but antifeminists, always ready to believe the worst about a movement they really don’t understand very well at all.

I ran across what I think is my favorite example of this amazing gullibility while poking around Facebook recently in search of inadvertently hilarious Men’s Rights memes. I found the following screenshot posted on an energetically antifeminist Facebook page called the Anti White Knight Coalition.

Be warned: this is a bit gross.

Ew ew ew ew ew.
Ew ew ew ew ew.

I have to give some credit to whoever came up with this; it’s an amazing mixture of hilarious and disgusting.

But no one could possibly have taken it seriously, right? No one literally believes that feminists are making and eating period blood popsicles, right? That they think are “really heathy” and “overall good” except for a “little … fishy smell,” right?

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Here’s how the Anti White Knight Coalition’s fans responded to this obvious prank pic.

fbblood11 fbblood12 fbblood2 fbblood3 fbblood4

These are literally all of the responses to that post, except for one that contained a not-particularly relevant NSFW pic. Only one of the commenters is sure it’s a fake.

Everyone else is like, yeah, you could totally make popsicles out of menstrual blood and they’d totally look like regular popsicles and yeah that’s something feminists would totally do.

loquora
loquora

@Kupo:

…considering how dangerous tampons can be to your health…

I’m curious about what dangers you’re referring to. Unless it’s toxic shock, which is definitely a potential danger of misuse, but one I’m willing to accept so I don’t have to stop exercising 4 days out of every month.

reymohammed

The pictured popsicles are clearly commercial raspberry ones. I have bought frozen liver, kidneys, and hearts from time to time, and I know what frozen blood looks like. Also, unless it comes from a fish, it doesn’t smell fishy.

Female vaginal discharges do not smell fishy, either, whether bloody or not, in the absence of a trichomonas infection. A rank odor of any kind calls for medical intervention.

Pandapool -- The Species that Endangers YOU (aka Jackie; currently using they/their, he/his, she/her pronouns)

@EJ

It’s funny if you want to grow up knowing the people you’re suppose to trust most in your life are just jerking you along for no real reason but shits and giggles.

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden

Calm down, MRAs. It’s a fake photo. Women aren’t going around eating their menses. Sheesh.

Overly Long Name
Overly Long Name

sorry, for having to ask about this, especially when there are probably places I could research this, but I feel a bit more comfortable asking people about it, again sorry. Do you guys know how I could help women who due to whatever reason don’t have access to tampon/pads/sanitary things, get access to those things? is there a charity for this sort of thing? or should I just get information? or something else? again sorry.

Skiriki
Skiriki

Overly Long Name: Locally, nationally, or globally?

Local & national, whatever charities that handle food and essential supplies (such as diapers) to impoverished families. You should contact them directly, and ask about helping on that front. Possibly check women’s health clinics too?

Globally, check the article I linked earlier in this thread, it lists some sanitation/menstrual hygiene orgs.

(And I can’t sleep, oh joy.)

hippielady
hippielady

@OLN

Here’s a few organizations that distribute feminine hygiene products to women and girls. You can also contact your local homeless shelter to see if they need any donations of said item.

LostInLindsey

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought ‘Only Lovers Left Alive’ when I saw that picture; it’s a much more pleasant thought than the arseholes who actually think period blood ice lollies are a real thing.

Kat

I think that this talk about “free bleeding”– with a credulous manosphere ignoring the fact that most women wouldn’t want to bleed all over their clothes, sofas, and so on, and also ignoring the fact that they themselves have probably never seen menstrual blood on anyone’s clothing or sofa–is just a symbol of the fact that many, many, many men don’t know much about women and our bodies.

My anecdotal evidence:

Another friend’s early-20s fiance who, when she told him she’d bought an off-white wedding gown, said quite seriously, “Does this mean everyone will know?” (Meaning, Does this mean that everyone will know we’ve been having sex.) Did I mention that this guy was a graduate of a fine college?

Another ex-boyfriend who told me that when he was a teenager, he thought that women “lost their minds” when they menstruated. I pointed out that he had a sister and a mother who didn’t “go crazy” when they menstruated. He hadn’t thought of that.

My takeaway? Many men don’t know much about our bodies because we’re unimportant (unlike, say, their football team or beer or cheese doodles). Also, our bodies are somehow shameful. Yeah, we’re hot–but it’s better not to find out any more about our bodies than that.

guy
guy

My school system did teach the basic mechanics of both sexes, but sex ed is notoriously poor in large parts of the US because people somehow got the idea that not teaching it means teenagers won’t have sex, and this can have very little relationship to general educational quality. So it could also mean that they didn’t want to walk up to random women and ask them about it.

Odds are actually pretty good they found out how penises work by personal experience or their dad telling them what he thought they needed to know, generally not very much.

Bina

If that right there is not a cogent case for comprehensive sex ed, in which ALL bodily functions are explained to all genders…I don’t know what is.

Also, you can now buy wedding dresses in whatever color(s) you like! No virginity required! In fact, white wedding dresses are a relatively recent development anyhow, so this expansion of the color spectrum is really just a return to old times, when brides wore whatever dress of theirs was newest and/or prettiest on them.

Skiriki
Skiriki

Bina:

If I had a need for a wedding dress (already tied the knot, in fab red, gold, black) and had the money to get it customized, I’d go for a human version of Rainbow Dash’s Grand Galloping Gala outfit. Seriously. 😀 It is that gorgeous. (Or Twilight Sparkle’s. Now I’m torn. Rainbows vs stars, how can I choooooose?)

Orion
Orion

Sorry folks, but Lindy West already won wedding dresses forever

Edit: I forgot how to embed, again.

Epsilon
Epsilon

@ Bina

I think that the major issue is that the last required sex ed class is right around 14… And they promptly forget about what they learned. Same thing goes with home economics. Personal finance is kind of in the same boat, but it’s often not a mandatory class in high school (which is absurd), and perhaps the mandatory lessons were in 5th grade or so and that was it.

Education just needs an overhaul in general. I remember when I was in high school–which wasn’t too long ago–that the average high schooler *and* adult gets a D or a C- on the basic economics test. You know, what should be common sense answers. It’s ridiculous!

Oh, and a few supposedly highly educated people in their 20s and 30s that I knew didn’t know what testosterone or estrogen were. *facepalm*

Ellesar
Ellesar

For the umpteenth time – ‘fishy’ smell is associated with stale semen. I am a woman who has had sex with a number of women, none of whom smelt fishy.

Those ice lollies just look like red ice lollies – it is just really fucking obvious!

Maybe this exists because of the vaginal fluid bread thing – I have actually read the blog of the woman who has claimed to have done this and it appears to be genuine. Personally I find it stomach churning – lack of body shame is one thing…

Overly Long Name
Overly Long Name

@Skiriki and Hippie Lady

@Discusion about sex ed and education
I can say, that as an ignoramus, I would very much appreciate better sex education classes.
Also what exactly does white have to do with wedding dresses is it a sign the person isn’t a virgin?
Also also, just a thing to remember being smart in one area doesn’t mean your smart in other ways or even know some common knowledge
also also also I’m a mansplaining bastard who deserves a boot to the face (that was mansplaining right? I still haven’t fully grasped that concept)

Fail Box
Fail Box

@Kat

I had a classmate in medical school (medical! school!) who discovered that women do not pee out of their vaginas during gross anatomy. Now, he did learn he was wrong in great gory detail as we did a pretty thorough dissection, but it amazed me someone could have gotten that far not knowing that fact.

Shaenon

Back when LiveJournal was a thing I subscribed to a group that collected the worst threads from homemaking/lifestyle groups, and freebleeders showed up on there from time to time. They were much less common than, say, people who didn’t believe in diapering their babies.

kupo
kupo

@loquora
Yeah, I’m referring to TSS.

Dodom
Dodom

Fishy smell: it happens when someone has a Gardnerella infection. About 1/4 women are carriers but keep the bacteria under control. When something comes up and disturbs the flora, it can proliferate and emit enough of its characteristic smell to be noticed.

I think it’s one of those dead unicorns that lots of people talk about but no one actually does.

Ashara Payne
Ashara Payne

I always thought the fishy smell was supposed to be due to an infection, but personally I noticed a mild fishy odour the day after eating certain kinds of fish. So I just assumed it used the same proteins from the fish rather than manufacturing them from scratch. Since my hysterectomy I’ve not noticed any smell after eating fish, though. Maybe it affects some women and not others.

I did notice that my period smelled bad after having my second baby. This worried me so much I thought I must have an infection, but a friend told me she found the same problem and it was just ‘ageing’. Maybe we do all smell more as we get older but frequent showering means we just don’t notice. Babies smell good enough to eat!

As for wedding dresses, when people used to wear their ‘Sunday best’ to church, women usually just wore that for their wedding. The white symbolising virginity is a relatively new thing.

I find it astounding that anyone with Internet access can be ignorant of these things. When I was a kid in the 70s, we learnt about the basics of sex from a page of a Ladybird book called ‘The Body’. School libraries are helpful. I guess most kids are sheltered from it because of modern life, women no longer having 15 babies and discreet feminine hygiene products, and not witnessing animals reproducing either.

I bought my two teenage daughters some ‘Thinx’ underwear. Seemed like a good idea. I tried cups myself, but didn’t get on with them. (Instead was unreliable and the mooncup was too difficult to remove. Both seemed too messy)

Wearing a pad meant that my youngest daughter saw my menstrual blood on a pad when we were in a public toilet. She then proceeded to tell people that ‘mummy has red poo’. Education should be that easy.

Lolallama
Lolallama

Ooh, an above post reminded me- when you are donating for a food drive feel free to throw in packs of pads and tampons. When you live in poverty those things are usually not in the budget, especially when they are so damned expensive in the first place. I’ve heard sad stories about women and teens using facecloths and sponges hoping like hell no one finds out because of the shame.

@Overly Long Name

I never had a sex ed class until I went to college. Books are where I gained most of my basic sex education. These books are equally available to boys and men, but many of them don’t seem to be interested. Access to female bodies seems to be important to them; knowledge about them doesn’t. This is a societal issue.

The white color of a wedding dress is supposed to symbolize virginity. But there is no Bridal Oversight Committee to enforce this notion. So plenty of women who aren’t virgins wear white at their weddings. Fact.

I agree that being smart in one area doesn’t make you smart in other areas. What I’m talking about is a pervasive pattern.

“A boot in the face” for mansplaining? Did you know that there’s a book called Men Explain Things to Me? Author Rebecca Solnit can lay out her case for you. No physical attack involved.

guy
guy

Again, it’s quite possible that those books were in fact equally available to boys and girls in those regions. Namely, not available at all.

While Cracked has some issues with its writers, it also does a solid series of personal experience articles; here’s one from a woman raised in the Quiverfull movement. Now, as you may gather from the article, that movement is very patriarchal, but teenage boys in it are not provided with particularly better sex ed than the girls and don’t have unmonitored internet access. And while it’s an extreme example, it is part of a general trend in American Christian movements. Sex ed is patchy in the US and if the parents don’t want their kids to learn it they won’t learn it; even in my state where there were school sex ed classes parents could opt their children out of it.

@Guy

Sure.

But it would be nice if, when these boys–and all boys!–grow up, they educate themselves, at least in a basic way, about women’s bodies.

And as long as I’m at it, I think it would also be swell if they educated themselves, even just basically, about women’s history.

@Fail Box

I have to admit that Our Bodies, Ourselves taught me that when I was 18.

And I own a vagina!

Truthfully, if I hadn’t read that fact, I don’t think I would have guessed it.

Rabid Rabbit
Rabid Rabbit

I still find it amazing that in a country where our GST (VAT to those of you in other countries) doesn’t affect essential products, it was only removed from feminine hygiene products last year or so.

As to dress color: you know all those Renaissance people dressed in black? It’s not actually that they were morbid. Just rich and wanting to show off. Black was the most expensive dye, because it’s so hard to keep the deep dye after a wash.

@Rabid Rabbit
Marie Curie got married in a black dress. Because she was going to wear it in the laboratory later and probably spill stuff on it.

I’m not sure why that fact has stuck in my mind since I was 11 and read a children’s book about her.

Bina

Ugh, I read that too. I mean sure, yeast is yeast and all, but ugh, that’s kind of urkhy. There are other flora in there too, and some could be antagonistic, for all I know. Also, I’d rather not taste my own crotch on things if I can help it. I much prefer sourdough made from whatever floats in on the air, and would rather not know if it originated from anyone’s wazoo. I’m no prude, but that’s how it goes, for me…

And yeah, those popsicles in the picture look like nothing more than frozen berry purée. Probably raspberry. NOM.

Rabid Rabbit
Rabid Rabbit

@Kat

Oh, come on What your book didn’t tell you is that she insisted on getting married at night with all the lights off so her dress would glow all pretty like.

…Yes, I just made that up. But it’s not entirely implausible.

@Rabid Rabbit
That factish incident was omitted! But children’s books have to be short.

authorialAlchemy
authorialAlchemy

Whoever made this probably

A) assumes people with functioning uteruses bleed A LOT more than they actually do

or

B) they know what a menstrual cup is, and know blood can be collected.

Considering most people don’t know what a menstrual cup is, I’m gonna go with A.

Olive O'Sudden
Olive O'Sudden

Menstrual blood smells iron-y, not fishy. And the average woman would have to collect all of her menstrual blood output for a year to make half a dozen of those ice pops.

Rabid Rabbit
Rabid Rabbit

@ Olive O’Sudden

Yes, sure, but if they did… Yum!!!

Kootiepatra

When I’ve tried to call out dudes who believe the hoaxes like #endfathersday and period popsicles, they always invoke Poe’s Law.

No, dudes, that’s not how Poe’s Law works. Example: if I have become so convinced that Chihuahuas are space aliens secretly invading and brainwashing the planet that I believe an internet claim about Chihuahuas levitating off the ground during a full moon, that’s all on me. “Well, how was I to know? You never know what those devious little so-called-dogs get up to when the mothership calls.” Nope, Poe’s Law doesn’t justify my gullibility.

Similarly, if you fall for a 4chan hoax, and then bluster, “but, but that’s the kind of thing feminists WOULD do”, despite a whole bunch of actual feminists saying, “What? Ew”, you can’t call up Poe to cover your backside. You got fooled because you have completely disconnected yourself from reality.

authorialAlchemy
authorialAlchemy

They think vaginas smell fishy, lol. That would indicate an infection or seafood consumption.

Mine smells kinda like a mushroom, it’s just a very human scent.

That’s what lesbian vampires do when they want to make a treat for their sweetie.

@Kootiepatra

If I understand you correctly, you believe that Chihuahuas are not space aliens, nor are they brainwashing the planet.

Isn’t that how both political pundits and scientists explain the rise of Donald Trump?

Skiriki
Skiriki

Oh yeah, if you want to be really maximally helpful with donations in food drives:

Menstrual hygiene:
Panty liners
Tampons
Pads (both “normal” and night/long variety)

Personal hygiene (all genders):
Unscented deodorant/antiperspirant
Unscented shampoo or shampoo/conditioner
Toothpaste
Soft toothbrushes

Household cleaning:
Unscented dishsoap
Unscented soap (for handwashing etc)
Unscented washing powder/liquid

Kids:
Diapers (of different sizes)
Baby powder
Baby oil (please check for coconut or peanut oil, both known allergens)
Wet wipes

The reason why I’m specifying “unscented” is to make it easier to recall “oh yeah, what if someone is allergic”, since I know some people who are allergic to lavender, which is like the most common ingredient when it comes to scented products. Yes, they are a notch more expensive. But… this also means your help is going to hit a broader range of people who can use them, which is doubleplusgood! But if all you can afford is scented stuff (again, often cheaper), this list works still.

Also: always remember to check with the charity first if they accept material goods like these! Not all do.

All this stuff is needed for good living (and feeling like a human being amongst others), and this is not necessarily covered by food stamps/other forms of aid.

Imaginary Petal (formerly dhag85, trying out pronouns - they/their)
Imaginary Petal (formerly dhag85, trying out pronouns - they/their)

@Skiriki

Thanks for that advice. 🙂

Skiriki
Skiriki

@IP — yeah, I’m in “unscented, please” category myself, so I tend to include this kind of thing to all checklists.

Darn edit window, forgot to add “unscented/unflavored chapstick” to personal hygiene and a box of band-aids (translucent) and basic mouthwash would not go amiss either.

Anon
Anon

“My friend’s 24-year-old boyfriend had never heard of menstruation. And when she told him about it, he didn’t believe her until he checked with his sister. Oh, did I mention that this guy was a PhD student at a very prestigious university?”

Because you can trust your sister but you can’t trust the woman you’re dating -she’s provably lying to get out of sex duty???

“exists because of the vaginal fluid bread thing ”
If you think you are emancipated, you might consider the idea of tasting your own menstrual blood – if it makes you sick, you’ve got a long way to go, baby” ~ Germaine Greer

“I find it astounding that anyone with Internet access can be ignorant of these things. When I was a kid in the 70s, we learnt about the basics of sex from a page of a Ladybird book called ‘The Body’. School libraries are helpful. I guess most kids are sheltered from it because of modern life, ”
If anyone needs proof that we live in a world saturated with misogyny and crazy it’s that the average teenage boy will have witnessed mountains of degrading porn and think himself an connoisseur of women’s bodies, while simultaneously knowing less than nothing about female anatomy.

Chiomara
Chiomara

loquora
February 12, 2016 at 3:42 pm
@Kupo:

considering how dangerous tampons can be to your health…

Okay, okay, before I continue reading the thread, sister (or bother or sibling), ever heard the word of our Lord and savior menstrual cup?
Period havers, it’s the most wonderful thing. Try it.

Chiomara
Chiomara

Hey, when you are donating those products, don’t forget to check how your country treats female prison inmates in this regard. In my country, it’s horrible, so a girl I know made a little campaign to gather them tampons. It was so nice!

Also, about the menstrual cup. Well, I am not a rich person, and I bleed way more than normal. I even used adult diapers. I used toilet paper instead of pads so I could use less pads. It was very difficult. I mean, it’s not like I didn’t have 60 reais/month to buy it, but it just was not worth it. There were more important things.
And then feminist Brazilian groups created a system of “godmothers”. It’s like this: women choose the model of the cup they need and ask for it, and get in the line. Maybe they pay partially too. Then anyone can make donations of whatever value and become a “godmother”! You can choose someone specific to donate to, or just donate to whoever is first in the line! Everything is done in public so there’s no way there will be any fraud of the organizers.
And I tell you, it was life changing! Menstrual Cups are even being donated in Africa, because their relative cost is so much smaller! A cup can last 10 years and all maintenance it needs is boiling it for 15 minutes before and after the cycle. You should do something like this in your local community! I got my cup for half the price. It is worth every penny. You have no idea how wonderful it is not to have to ratio the pads and worry about your smell all the time.

Chiomara
Chiomara

I have seen women who use the cup mixing the blood with water and watering plants. This is real and I find it a wonderful idea. It’s very good for the plants and doesn’t stink at all. It’s better not to use in plants you may eat if you use any medication, especially birth control, but other than that, I see no negative sides.
While I wouldn’t eat a popsicle or a menstrual blood pancake (I saw that too), I would eat basil cultivated with hormone free blood, if it’s well washed. The good thing of the cup is also that a lot of our cultural disgust for periods go away.

Skiriki
Skiriki

Chiomara:
Yeah, menstrual cups are also something that is worth considering as well as a donation item. Less landfill waste, lasts for years. +1

Josh
Josh

Sex education in America is a joke. I got one crappy course from my home ec class in high school (We spent more time on SEWING) that basically taught me “Penis exists. Vagina exists. Somehow, they fuse and babies happen”. Seriously, everything I actually know about sex had to be told to me by my parents and the Internet.

And of course, so many states try to teach Abstinence only But always for the girls. Boys can have sex before marriage because boys will be boys and all that. Girls who have premarital sex are, and I qoute, “Like a chewed up stick of gum”.

guy
guy

My state had 1-2 week sections once a year starting in 5th grade (your parents could opt you out, but mine didn’t; it’s timed to fairly reliably teach people before entering puberty so they aren’t caught by surprise) in health or science classes. There were diagrams showing general layout. The education was abstinence only to start with but discussed birth control in high school with reliability breakdowns, and contained dire warnings about STDs and pregnancy all the way through even when the classes were split by gender. I’m not sure if there was a policy change on birth control or if it was divided by time period. Apparently they’ve recently approved a curriculum change to discuss gender identity issues too. They mentioned that abortion was a thing and people had different opinions on it, but the teachers were prohibited from discussing it in any greater depth.

Admittedly, when we learned about periods we heard about tampons and pads but not cups; are they new?

msexceptiontotherule
msexceptiontotherule

Nearly all of the jails and prisons in the U.S. semi-privatized corrections industry which house women require inmates to have funds ‘on their account/books’ with which to purchase pads or tampons along with various other ‘extras’. This means that low and no income women who don’t have friends or family willing to help them in this regard will only get however many pads the facility is willing to be charitable with (usually a total of 3 in my area jails) and must ‘figure something out’ for the rest of their period. Correctional facilities weren’t created to be luxury hotels, but they should have to meet a minimum standard when it comes to human dignity – and shrugging when it’s pointed out that women without feminine hygiene products to use for the entire duration of their period because they’re poor is so far below acceptable it’s in the lowest (9th) circle of hell. I’ve donated to a few charity drives that provide low income women in jail and in the community with the essentials such as hygiene products along with the various needs when re-entering the workforce (makeup, interview and job appropriate clothing), and I encourage others to do the same with the charities who help groups or causes of importance to them.