4chan antifeminism facebook gullibility memes misogyny TROOOLLLL!! vaginas

Memeday: Popsicles with a fishy smell

Definitely not a freebleeder.
Definitely not a freebleeder.

Do you remember “freebleeding,” that phony “radical feminist movement” protesting the tyranny of maxipads and the joy of free-flowing menstrual blood that 4chan tried their hardest to convince feminists was a totes real thing they should all sign up for right away?

While a tiny number of real feminists were discussing the idea before 4chan got hold of it, 4chan tried to turn a protest of sorts against menstrual shaming into a fun fad that involved pretty much bleeding on anything and everything one could possibly bleed upon.

The irony, of course, was that the only people gullible enough to fall for the hoax hook line and tampon weren’t feminists but antifeminists, always ready to believe the worst about a movement they really don’t understand very well at all.

I ran across what I think is my favorite example of this amazing gullibility while poking around Facebook recently in search of inadvertently hilarious Men’s Rights memes. I found the following screenshot posted on an energetically antifeminist Facebook page called the Anti White Knight Coalition.

Be warned: this is a bit gross.

Ew ew ew ew ew.
Ew ew ew ew ew.

I have to give some credit to whoever came up with this; it’s an amazing mixture of hilarious and disgusting.

But no one could possibly have taken it seriously, right? No one literally believes that feminists are making and eating period blood popsicles, right? That they think are “really heathy” and “overall good” except for a “little … fishy smell,” right?

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Here’s how the Anti White Knight Coalition’s fans responded to this obvious prank pic.

fbblood11 fbblood12 fbblood2 fbblood3 fbblood4

These are literally all of the responses to that post, except for one that contained a not-particularly relevant NSFW pic. Only one of the commenters is sure it’s a fake.

Everyone else is like, yeah, you could totally make popsicles out of menstrual blood and they’d totally look like regular popsicles and yeah that’s something feminists would totally do.

Lordsouth
Lordsouth

I fell for it, when I saw the title my first thought was ” Hes gonna talk about popsicles stuffed into female genitalia isnt he” and then I saw the picture without reading the text… Am I a bad person or a stupid one for thinking somebody could actually do that?

Luzbelitx

Puh-lease, whoever makes period blood popsicles?

Everybody knows menstrual blood is much better when you macerate it in grain alcohol for a month.

It’s really healthy, has a fishy smell, overall good AND it gets you drunk to help you forget such a thing as 4chan exists!

PS: I love love LOVE memedays. Today’s was a specially good job ^^

Miss Andry

Yep, that’s enough Internet for me today.

Tulse
Tulse

It does seem absurd, and the MRAs seem profoundly gullible, but then again, some people genuinely advocate eating placenta after birth, so there’s that…

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Before I went veggie I was a big fan of black pudding. That’s basically a mix of blood and sawdust, so I probably wouldn’t have a problem with this, if it was someone I knew.

TMI warning!!!!!!!!

In fact, I know I wouldn’t.

Margaret
Margaret

How much blood do these clowns believe is released during menstruation? Certainly not enough to make popsicles (not that anyone would want to )

Bina

No, He-Man Woman-Haters, there’s no such thing as menstrual popsicles. But since you morons will plainly swallow anything, can I interest you in some poopsicles?

Lea
Lea

“One born every minute” may have been a conservative estimate.

Ken
Ken

Back in the ’80s when I was in college, I heard about a woman I went to high school with joining a group of “free-bleeders”. So, they probably were a thing that existed at one point. At the very least, 4chan didn’t invent the idea. While I appreciate the in-your-face guerrilla tactics to demystify menstruation, I also view it as the act of sheltered, privileged people with no consideration for the working people who would have to clean that mess up. No word if they made menstrual blood popsicles.

DS
DS

I mean the major reason I’m against women freebleeding is communicable disease. I don’t think there should be a stigma associated with it though beyond the “please keep your blood to yourself” thing though; that would be backwards.

Bina

Just for shits ‘n’ giggles, I hope somebody tries this on every one of those bozos in the “coalition” of the stoopid:

(Note: This is obviously satire. But I can see those guys being terrified for real.)

kupo
kupo

Fishy smell? This person has never smelled menses before.

As for the free bleeding thing, I can understand why some people might opt to do that, considering how dangerous tampons can be to your health, but now there are lots of other options like cups, cloth pads, and panties.

Dodom
Dodom

When I was a teen from a family on welfare, I more often than not had to fashion pads out of wads of school bathroom TP and scotch tape. Even my best designs leaked like hell and I got noticed by bullies a lot. I can imagine welfare kids today will get it twice as bad, now that channers have gotten it associated it with straw feminism.

occasional reader
occasional reader

Hello.

Even if this has been a real thing, what the matter with this guy ? Do they never eat boudin ? Or do they always have bloodless meat ? Why do i have the bad feeling that they are the kind of guys who would eagerly ask their partner to swallow when you-know-what ?
So many questions, so little time.

Have a nice week-end.

LG.
LG.

The best standard I’ve seen for a responsible approach to de-stigmatizing period bleeding is this: compare to nosebleeding.

Tracy
Tracy

@Dodom – thanks for the reminder that donating menstrual supplies is a very good, very important thing! That must have been awful for you. Would be nice if high schools had menstrual products available for free.

Carnawennen
Carnawennen

I love their absolute refusal to accept that people with vaginas can’t just pump out all the menstrual blood they want to.

I’d gladly risk my health to enjoy such a healthy summer snack…

WeirwoodTreeHugger
WeirwoodTreeHugger

I never make popsicles out of menstrual blood. That’s gross. I only make popsicles out of the blood of my male victims. It’s a perfect complement to the martinis I make where I substitute male tears for vermouth.

guy
guy

@LG

Yeah, that is a good one.

Tulse
Tulse

This is girl blood, so it has cooties in it.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ WWTH

I definitely don’t want to know what you use for olives or those little onions!

Jackson
Jackson

Have these people ever SEEN blood? That isn’t even the right color.

Lolallama
Lolallama

How long would you have to sit still to get enough, um, ingredient for even one popsicle?

Falconer
Falconer

Fuzzbuckets. I was trying to embed a baby goat video.

Dreadnought
Dreadnought

@Alan

“Every man is born with a pair of olives and a cocktail sausage.” That’s how my parents taught me about my anatomy.

Scaly Llama
Scaly Llama

Smells fishy? Have these guys never smelled regular blood before? It has a metallic smell and taste, not a fishy one. And no, I’m not a serial killer, I just pay attention. I haven’t tasted menstrual blood, but it definitely has the same metallic smell as regular blood.

BTW, if you don’t believe me that blood has a smell, next time you cut your finger (hopefully only a scratch!) try smelling it. It’s quite a strong scent and recognizable once you know what it is.

(And for the record, the ‘fish smell’ thing is totally ridiculous. It only smells ‘fishy’ down in lady-bits land if the owner doesn’t, or can’t, keep things clean. And even then, ‘fishy’ isn’t really accurate IMO – it’s just another slur by guys who probably haven’t ever got close enough to a real vag to know.

SOURCE: I own lady-bits)

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

The only time I’ve ever heard of freebleeding actually being a thing was when a marathon runner ran the London race while bleeding (and no, average volume per period is definitely not enough for an ice lolly of reasonable proportions. Besides, I’d rather have stew).

Pff, obvious hoax. Nobody makes popsicles in February!

I mean, she said “upcoming summer,” so obviously she’s in the northern hemisphere. Those things would be sitting in her freezer absorbing fridge flavors for like 4 months.

Dreadnought
Dreadnought

@katz

Actually I find that if you place your menstrual blood ice-pops next to some onions it develops a tangy flavour that complements the fishy taste wonderfully.

Hmm. Maybe I’ll try that. I feel like there are shrimp cocktail possibilities, too.

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

Dang, these anti feminist a-holes make Patrick from spongebob look smart. Well almost.

Skiriki
Skiriki

Oh hey, regarding periods and access to good sanitary facilities and pads/cups/tampons, and why that stuff matters. Also, why helping to break taboos, stigmas and bans around menstruation is a must.

Note, pretty heartbreaking reading.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Those “Good Humour” ice cream trucks that drive around the neighborhood playing tinkly music? They’re literally selling humours on a stick. That’s where these are from.

I’m partial to Black Bile Crunch.

Skiriki
Skiriki

Oh shit, two highschool girls have been shot in Arizona school shooting.

Apparently there’s no idea if this was a murder-suicide or double-suicide, but they’re not looking for an active shooter so who knows.

MexicanHotChocolate
MexicanHotChocolate

So my takeaway from all of this? MRAs are big babies who still think girls have cooties and act on that belief. The doofuses who believe menstrual Popsicles are a real thing probably also believed that homophobic Harlem pastor who said that Starbucks put semen from gay men in their lattes.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

Do Good Humour vans do Choler Surprise?

Or would it be Melancholy Melba, Choler Crunch, Surprise Sanguine and Phlegm Flambé?

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ buttercup

ice cream trucks that drive around the neighborhood playing tinkly music

That means they’ve run out of ice cream; that’s what my dad told me anyway.

That means they’ve run out of ice cream; that’s what my dad told me anyway.

Ooh, that’s smart.

TheRoseHipster
TheRoseHipster

I like how everyone who falls for this reveals that they have no idea how periods actually work, or what a vulva smells/tastes like. It’s a lovely own goal.

All that said, I now feel like I need to get around to seeing Only Lovers Left Alive, because there are blood popsicles there! Though not of the menstrual kind.

Basically, I am so okay with being a strawfeminist if I get to look like Tom Hiddleston or Tilda Swinton:
comment image
comment image

Dr Hoveiny
Dr Hoveiny

I’ve been wanting to see Last Lovers Alive!

Also, OT and violence doesn’t solve problems, but there’s an MRA (of sorts) in this new Powerpuff Girls clip.

ref=fb-share

Pandapool -- The Species that Endangers YOU (aka Jackie; currently using they/their, he/his, she/her pronouns)

That means they’ve run out of ice cream; that’s what my dad told me anyway.

Ooh, that’s smart.

I really hope that didn’t actually happen. “I can’t tell my kid no or that he can’t have ice cream so instead I will lie to him.”

Just, like, tell your kids why they can’t do the thing. Easy peas. Kids are amazingly rational beings, just like other humans or various ages.

@Dr Hoveiny

Oh yeah! That’s right! Powderpuff Girls are coming back! 😀 Excited! Can’t wait to get my cousins into Powderpuff Girls.

msexceptiontotherule
msexceptiontotherule

Well this is just great. Now I feel all inadequate because obviously I’m defective somehow because I don’t bleed like a lady-bits faucet and thus cannot make any blood-on-a-stick-pops with my menstrual blood. If I had the time to sit around with an ice cube tray between my legs I *might* be able to fill 2, 3 of the sections in a tray, tops.

Guess I’ll have to keep having the s/o randomly grab me dudes off the street to hang by the ankles for rapid and optimal blood collection when I slit their throats. A lady has to do what’s necessary to stay looking young – even if it’s bathing in male blood. 😉

History Nerd
History Nerd

I’d be willing to believe that there were a few “freebleeder” groups in the 1980’s when radical feminism was more popular in general (like the militant separatist lesbian groups and stuff). But it’s not the type of movement that would catch on among most radfems or anybody for that matter.

My mother encouraged us to yell at the ice cream man and put tacks on the street to vent our frustration.

Parenting: Lots of people are bad at it.

Falconer
Falconer

Uh, why would the ice cream truck draw attention to itself if it doesn’t have anything to sell?

It blares music to announce itself so all the kids indoors or in back yards can hear it coming and run out to meet it, assuming they have a couple bucks.

athveg34f
athveg34f

Long, long sigh.
I have encountered so many people online, or dare I say… men, online, who absolutely SWEAR that every single reddit or 4chan stunt is in fact a REAL declaration of REAL feminists and that REAL feminists are marching on Washington to end Father’s Day, to remove all men’s names from new babies’ birth certificates, to indeed create policies which #killallmen, to leave their freebleeding menstrual blood all over pubic seating in buses, offices, parks, restaurants, etc., because feminists are radical and want to force bad things down everyone’s throats against everyone’s will.

I wish these people could step back and see wtf they look like to the outside world when they claim to believe most of the scaredy anti-female stuff they subscribe to. How sheltered could anyone BE in order to believe even a smidgen of what they do?

Parenting: Lots of people are bad at it.

I see.

Kids are rational as in reasonable, not logical. They can’t see patterns they haven’t experienced yet, which is why it’s shitty to lie to them instead of telling them the truth.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

which is why it’s shitty to lie to them instead of telling them the truth.

That’s a mispronounciation of “funny”, I assume.

WE CAN’T EVEN KEEP PLANNED PARENTHOODS OPEN HOW WOULD WE HAVE TIME FOR THAT SHIT

1 2 3