antifeminism memes misogyny MRA

Memeday: Men’s Rights Activists playing “gotcha” make idiots of themselves

That's what you think
That’s what you think

Men’s Rights Activists and other antifeminists love playing “gotcha” — demanding answers to questions designed to make feminists look hypocritical or illogical or just plain dumb.

Trouble is, despite their fondness for the “gotcha” game, most MRAs and antifeminists just aren’t very good at it. Their questions, often based on gross misunderstandings, tend to reveal less about the alleged hypocrisies of feminists than they reveal about their own profound ignorance of feminism.

Let’s take a look at a few of these failed gotcha memes, collected from a couple of antifeminst Facebook pages and elsewhere online and making use of the popular philosoraptor meme template

phil1

Well, that would be because women have been systematically oppressed for thousands of years; in order to get to equality, we need to focus on the things that have held women back. It’s the same reason that the civil rights movement fought for the rights of black people instead of white people.

If you think it’s wrong to call oneself a feminist instead of a humanist or equalist or whatever, why do you support something called the Men’s Rights movement?

phil2really

Uh, because fighting for the “rights” of a group of people who already have more than their fair share of privileges is backwards and silly? Because MRAs are less interested in making life better for men than they are in making things worse for women? Because most MRAs are ridiculous?

phil2

Uh, because they don’t? Feminists do sometimes point out that the overwhelming majority of rapists are men, but they don’t call all men rapists.

philwhore3

Er, what? That doesn’t make any sense. Among other things, ‘rapists” and “whores” aren’t equivalent categories, given that the latter category involves consensual sex and the former involves nonconsensual sex.

phil3toxic

Do you not understand how adjectives work? When feminists talk about “toxic masculinity” they don’t mean that masculinity itself is inherently toxic any more than someone referring to a “red car” means that all cars are red. Some kinds of masculinity can be toxic; that’s what feminists are taking about when they talk about “toxic masculinity. As the Geek Feminism wiki explains it, “toxic masculinity … refers to the socially-constructed attitudes that describe the masculine gender role as violent, unemotional, sexually aggressive, and so forth.

I don’t know why so many MRAs still don’t understand this; it’s certainly been explained to them more than enough times. And do MRAs not know how to use Google? That Geek Feminism definition I quoted above is literally the first result you get if you Google “toxic masculinity.”

phil4

And now we’re just getting silly. First off, fictional characters don’t hijack franchises; they’re fictional characters. Second, since when do movie franchises belong to a certain gender? There’s no movie law that says ghostbusters have to all be dudes, just because that’s what they were in the original Ghostbusters films.

phil5

Everyone has the right to defend themselves, but “hitting someone back” in a punitive manner is an escalation of the fight, and that’s not a good thing. Also, why are you putting “woman” in scare quotes?

philcrotch

I can’t even. What?

Falconer
Falconer

God, these MRAs have succeeded in turning Philosoraptor into Dr. Dinosaur.

comment image

Jarnsaxa
Jarnsaxa

Back around the time of the Civil War, some (privileged white and wealthy) first-wave feminists did, in fact, make some boneheaded statements sometimes about how they wanted equal rights but also wanted to retain the right to be handed out of carriages and shit like that.

To be fair, that’s not boneheaded. That’s the result of wearing skirts with a 6-foot diameter and not wanting to faceplant trying to wrestle yourself out of a small carriage.

Dress reform was a major, major part of that era of feminism, and for a *very* good reason. There was even a story of a woman whose gown was caught by the wind and was actually blown out to sea, though who knows if it’s true.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Hannah Tracy Cutler, reporting on the 1851 Women’s Rights Convention in Akron, Ohio, stated, “I recall Mrs. [Jane] Swisshelm as insisting that woman should claim her right to be helped over bad roads and to be fed whether she worked or not.” No, that’s boneheaded. Swisshelm wasn’t arguing in favor of social welfare for everyone (which would have been awesome) but just for women. There’s some other stuff in there about Swisshelm being pretty racist, so she was kind of a bonehead about a number of things.

I recall seeing other things along these same lines, but this is the one I can lay my hands on easily.

You won’t get any argument out of me there, but that’s not what the first-wave feminists were talking about, any more than they were talking about universal social welfare when they spoke about being cared for even if they didn’t work. They were talking out of their wealth and race privilege and their unwillingness to give it up, because you didn’t hear poor feminists, or black feminists, or poor black feminists, making these arguments.

Jarnsaxa
Jarnsaxa

Again, not sure I’d classify being helped over a road when you’re wearing restrictive clothes as boneheaded.

And wealth was a factor in the clothing, obviously. Poor women wore more sensible clothes; it’s a mark of “class” that your wife didn’t have to work (and could wear the stupid clothes that wouldn’t let her anyway).

cincin
cincin

maybe on the rapist = whore false equivalency? being called a rapist (when you aren’t one, well hell even if you are one) is degrading and slanderous- because rape is a heinous crime against humans (not just women). and the most degrading and slanderous thing they believe they can call women is whores. and with the (unfair) stigma and criminality of prostitution, it seems they’re not smart enough to consider that a sexual transaction between humans is consensual, not to mention not restricted to women. it’s dumbass name-calling.. right? maybe?

Unlucky Blackjack
Unlucky Blackjack

I can’t really be that mad at old feminists. I mean, modern feminism didn’t exist yet. Actually, I take that back. Something like it existed, but it would have been seen as super radical. Unrelated, but I have problem when historical shows have a modern feminist-type character where it couldn’t have been reasonably possible. Or really, any type of activist for a movement that wouldn’t have been that accepted. I feel that it takes me out of the setting when I hear a women in the Victorian age say things like “I don’t need no man to help me.”, (or something Hollywood thinks feminists say), without other characters acknowledging how radical it was at the time. Or how only the super bad-guys have the… “politically incorrect” thoughts about races, genders, or sexuality, even if it was both accepted and even thought to be enlighten for the time period. I think that it serves as a good reminder that the past had an almost entirely different set of morals and values, and how important it is to question all the “truths” society teaches you. But mostly, it teaches you that even though people throughout history had different thoughts, they all tried to be good people, and that they usually thought that they were.

sevenofmine
sevenofmine

The sky is blue, therefor Batman. Checkmate, feminsits!

History Nerd
History Nerd

The word “feminisme” was first used by nineteenth century French socialists (mostly male) who supported political and social equality of men and women.

ian morris
ian morris

Nobody cares about the original marvel character with the title captain marvel, Mar-Vel will stay dead by Carol Danvers will show up on the big screen. Supergirl is a more interesting character for tv, because she came to earth as a teenager and doesn’t fit in as well (plus she remembers krypton)

zoon echon logon
zoon echon logon

1. Using MHRA rather than MRA is also a sure sign that the person using it is a cult member at A Voice For Men.

2. There is very much an idea among some men that in some circumstances violence is justified and even laudable. If someone “starts something” either verbally or physically, it is your Sacred Duty as a Man to beat the crap out of them. It’s not just self-defense, it’s an sense that if someone “crosses a line,” then you can do whatever to them and this is a good thing; they deserve it and you’re awesome. This reminds me of gun-fetishists’ fantasies about defending freedom, or the plot of every “they killed his family, now he’s out for revenge” movie; there’s a desire for and glorification of violence, but coupled with a need to feel righteous and justified at the same time, and a similar longing for someone to do something that would justify a righteous asskicking. This is a very different standard than the legal one.

I think that, when men complain about “not being able to hit women back,” they’re mostly talking about how women are excluded from this sort of laudable retributory violence. People aren’t going to (usually) cheer you for beating up a woman who “starts something” in the way that they might for beating up a man who does the same thing.

zoon echon logon
zoon echon logon

I should add that I think we do treat men and women victims of violence differently. Culturally, we have trouble thinking that men can be the victims of violence done by women. And, even if they are, this is often viewed as a sign of weakness or loss of masculinity on the part of the man. This is a serious problem, and we need to address it.

However, anyone who is advocating for the “start shit, get hit” model where violence is awesome when the victim “deserves it” is not helping anything, and is, ultimately, using male victims of violence as a fig leaf for their own stupid preoccupations.

Anarchonist
Anarchonist

It is not surprising that these guys can’t understand that fictional characters cannot, by virtue of being fictional, “hijack” anything. After all, they’re the ones who can’t differentiate between scantily-clad, impractically dressed fictional women in their video games and living, breathing women making their choices of attire. Yes, to them, a feminist crititizing a fictional woman dressed in highly sexualized clothes and no protection on the battlefield is “slut-shaming” that fictional woman (who, again, has no agency over how she’s dressing in any situation).

This is where I think many of them are getting many of their bullshit arguments, like “feminists are anti-sex”. Because they literally cannot tell apart a real woman from a fictional woman, and consequently they don’t understand the concept of consensuality. To them, a fictional woman who has been put in a sexual situation by her creator(s) for the sole reason of the male gaze is there willingly. So, what they really should be saying is: “feminists are anti-rape”, which is correct, but they’re too far gone to see the connection.

Thanks for these, David. It never ceases to amaze me how utterly backwards the MRM mindset is.

Moggie
Moggie

What the fuck is that semicolon doing in the “term also used by feminists” meme?

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

I like that one of the “Memes” is still sulking about Mad Max. Which MRAs totally didn’t boycott, that was feminist propaganda, don’t believe your lying eyes, lib’rul false flag, you’re worse than Hitler, argle bargle ragestroke, etc.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

(Man, they’re going to be incomprehensible with rage – well, moreso than usual – when Mad Max sweeps the Oscars. The sweetest male tears of all.)

arash
arash

another stupid argument is that racism and feminism are similar.
in one case i explained that their Etymology is different and feminism literally means “women movement” and “ism” mean the same thing in environmentalism…they were too fuking stupid to understand

Kootiepatra

Okay, so I’ve gotta do a quick rant about the “potential rapists” thing…

Yes, meme-making dude (I’ma call you M.M.D.), in the very most technical, existential sense, you ARE a potential rapist. But in the very most technical, existential sense, so am I. In fact, the only things that I can logically, conclusively rule out of my future are things where my window of opportunity is gone (e.g., I am not a potential child prodigy or a potential prom queen). Anything that is technically within my capability, I have potential for, so I am a potential famous author, and a potential hitwoman, and a potential mother, and a potential nun, and a potential fraudster, and a potential world leader, etc. etc. etc. Will I actually BE all, or any, of those things? No; my field of possibilities will continue to narrow throughout my life, and will be shaped by my desires and my opportunities. But right now, I am technically potentially all of those things. So, yes, M.M.D., you are technically a potential rapist.

Now, practically, of course, there are a bunch of potential outcomes for my life that I sincerely do not want, and therefore will not do and/or become. I find the idea of harming another human being utterly repulsive and horrifying, so the chances of me beating, violating, killing, or otherwise hurting other people is basically zero. I dislike the modern political process, so world leader can probably go, too. Because I know myself, I can rule those potential futures out based on the likelihood of my following through with any of them.

Dear M.M.D., I’m going to choose to believe that you find the idea of raping women properly abhorrent (and I’m going to be extra generous and assume that this horror rightly extends to everything that falls short of enthusiastic, uncoerced consent). This would mean that practically, you are not a rapist, potential or otherwise. This does not change your–or anyone else’s–technical potential to be a very slimy, dangerous human being.

And if you would go actually READ THE FLIPPING ARTICLE* that all this brouhaha stems from, you would understand that the “men are potential rapists” thing actually refers to the calculations a woman has to do when meeting you for the first time. All she can see is your technical potential, and until she knows you well enough to feel like she can read your practical potential, she has every right to be wary of your intentions. This is especially true since she has a substantial practical potential of being assaulted in her lifetime, and she would like to keep that from manifesting in reality any more than it already has.

And by the way, M.M.D., if you’re so zealous for equality, you have every right to be wary of strange women whom you have no reason to trust. You have every right to take your time getting to know them before you consent to give them your phone number, meet them one-on-one, or agree to date them. You have every right to tell them to leave you alone and then never contact them again if they are scaring you. You have full license to suspect that any (or every!) given woman might have bad motives, and to give them a wide berth for as long as you like. You have every right to object to being creeped on. Go for it. Nobody is stopping you.

—————-
*I’m assuming that the “potential rapists” comes from years of Manospherians willfully misconstruing the Schrodinger’s Rapist post; is there anywhere else they have picked up on this idea from?

Jamesworkshop
Jamesworkshop

Can I inquire about the violence issue, because I don’t think women as a group are hugely confident in its efficacy, empirically speaking, it seem like total fiction, V.A.W isn’t some strange, weird occurrence like an eclipse, we see it every day.

kupo
kupo

I haven’t heard of that post. I just assumed they were reacting to anti-rape campaigns, #yesallwomen, and just the general discussion around how women worry about people they trust being potential rapists.

bluecat
bluecat

@ Jarnsaxa – I hadn’t heard the blown out to sea story – it wouldn’t surprise me – but there was certainly a woman who jumped off the Clifton Suspension Bridge in the 1860s and whose life was saved by her crinolines acting as a parachute.

The main cause of death and injury was how flammable all the layers were – especially as you couldn’t get them off without being helped and unlaced.

The papers around 1800, when the fashion was for floaty, narrow white muslin dresses, are full of stories of women burned to death or burnt so badly they almost certainly died not long after. Naked flames everywhere, of course.

The other thing was how impractical all the fashions were. Shoes you couldn’t walk in outdoors (satin or kid – ruined in minutes if it was wet underfoot), clothes you couldn’t put on without help, lacing, skirts you couldn’t get through a door in.

It’s a visual form of conspicuous consumption where not only the clothes (relatively far more expensive than they are now) are the consumable, but also signify that the woman’s male relatives are rich enough that they can afford her to be unable to work, or even move.

Fabe
Fabe

yet,when real flesh and blood women cosplaying those characters get sexually harassed or even assaulted those same guys call them ‘sluts’ and/or ‘attention whores’.

Arkle

Do you not understand how adjectives work?

They do. They just suffer from what I call “selective literal mindedness.” Oh, these MRA pissbaby types are perfectly capable of understanding metaphors, similes, and sarcasm when they’re doing it themselves, or if someone they like is doing it. Somebody else makes a metaphor or something though, suddenly they turn into Drax.

NiOg
NiOg

Falconer, Dr. Dinosaur might be my favorite Atomic Robo character. (But it’s so hard to pick!)

Brian Clevinger is a freakin’ genius.

EJ (The Other One)

Kootiepatra, you are once again proved to be amazing.

History Nerd
History Nerd

@zoon Right. Abusive behavior toward perpetrators is wrong and it doesn’t work. It’s probably the worst advice you could give to actual male victims of female perpetrators.

MRA’s think that stuff like being naggy or refusing to have sex with them counts as “abuse.”

Lea
Lea

There were definitely women drown by their voluminous skirts dragging them under in ship wrecks and floods.

Anne Oyance
Anne Oyance

Crinoline skirts or hoop skirts were responsible for the death of over a thousand people in Chile in 1863 when a fire broke out in a church and a woman’s crinoline skirt blocked the door.

1858 a young Boston woman burned to death when her wide skirt caught on fire by brushing against a candle .

Crinolines were also worn by women of every social class the maximum width was somewhere around 6 yards around.

And Amelia bloomer actually dropped her dress reform push AFTER the crinoline became popular, she considered it a better alternative to petticoats.

One reason crinolines stopped being popular besides turning you into a walking fire hazard was the fact that it took a lot of steel to make and steel was needed for other things but they re-emerge through out the first part of the 1900s with different materials being used at different points.

I am so sorry I read a lot and felt the need to share all of this in gong to go away now and annoy someone else.

tedthefed
tedthefed

Even if these were good points, they wouldn’t be good points.

Finding a way to frame your target as a hypocrite is satisfying, but it means absolutely nothing. They can be a hypocrite and you can still be wrong.

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

@tedthefed,

is that in regards to the post and not the conversation currently going on? Cause, uh, this isn’t a website for sober discussion of the validity of MRA talking points.

It’s tracking and mocking misogyny. Trying to find some levity in a miserable barrage of sexism. That sort of thing!

Nequam
Nequam

Holy shit guys, Justice Scalia is dead.

I know this doesn’t have much to do with MRAs directly, but this year and this election just got interesting in the Chinese curse sense.

Unlucky Blackjack
Unlucky Blackjack

@Scildfreja

I’m going to give tedthefed the benefit of the doubt and assume he was referring to the MRA memes. I haven’t really found anything talking about MRAs being hypocrites in this thread, and he does have a good point: Just because someone is a hypocrite, it doesn’t mean they are wrong. Slightly off topic, but it reminds me of a rule I try to live my life by: Never assume maliciousness when ignorance could suffice.

I’ll also say that if I have insulted either of you, I apologize, for it was not my intention.

msexceptiontotherule
msexceptiontotherule

Of course Cruz would say that the senate owes the country to let the next president choose Scalia’s replacement. Poor idiot thinks it might be *him*.

tedthefed
tedthefed

@Scildfreja
No no, I was responding to the memes.

But it is something that, once you start noticing it, it’s EVERYWHERE on the internet. In my own tendencies, too. I just feel so satisfied when I get to point out some hypocrisy in someone. It makes me feel so SMART.

But despite that, I’ve actually never had that strong an emotional reaction to someone being inconsistent or hypocritical. Because me perceiving a contradiction doesn’t mean the person in question does.

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

Oh! I understand! Sorry. I’ve been seeing things with a negative lens lately; my dad’s in the hospital and having a rather rough time of it. Makes me sort of a grump. Apologies!

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ scildfreja

Virtual hugs if you need them

NickNameNick
NickNameNick

@S.F.H.C.

I like that one of the “Memes” is still sulking about Mad Max.

Which is funny because, by their logic, George Miller hijacked…George Miller.

It’s like when all those comicbook fanboys got mad about that Batgirl variant cover not being sold (why give a shit? No fucking idea) and blaming all the Ess-Jay-Dubyews for it…even though the decision to not use it was by the title’s creative team.

@Falconer

God, these MRAs have succeeded in turning Philosoraptor into Dr. Dinosaur.

And yet another thing they’ve ruined for me. Hell, I even used to like Dilbert up until finding out what a disingenuous and misogynistic asshole Scott Adams actually was as a person.

And, surprise surprise, Adams apparently loves Trump! ‘Cause of course he does.

Sam
Sam

“Woman”: A term also used by feminists.

Groundbreaking stuff.

Nequam
Nequam

Scild: if it’s any consolation, you’re not alone. Let’s hope our dads both do well.

dontgiveahoot

I don’t know how to embed a vine, so I’m just going to leave this link right here

Falconer
Falconer

@NickNameNick: Sorry, if you want to blame anybody for ruining Dr. Dinosaur for you by associating it with MRAs, blame me. I made the connection.

The MRAs don’t seem to even know what Atomic Robo even is.

NickNameNick
NickNameNick

@Falconer: Ah, no, you didn’t ruin Atomic Robo for me at all – loved the images, actually – I meant that MRAs ruined Philosoraptor for me.

EJ (The Other One)

Hugs, Scildfreja.

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

<3 thank you for the hugs. He's doing better! Tracheostomy is out now, and he's able to breathe on his own more reliably. Recovery is happening really quickly, so it's turning out well. I am hoping for the same for your dad, Nequam. My dad's almost done needing his luck, so i'll send the rest your way.

They can’t admit that the people making the thing-they-like is made by one of those dirty SJW types. If they did that, they’d have to

a) Stop liking thing-they-like, cause it’s all grody and social-justicey now.

b) Admit that people can both be well-adjusted, successful, and popular, while caring about social justice issues. Only losers who never done amounted to nothin could care about something like social justice! Admitting that the creators they like can care about social justice issues legitimizes those issues to them, and they can’t have that!

It’s funny, really. Feminists admit, and admit readily, that there are rights that men need to get – unfair prison sentences, child custody and rights, etc. Feminists are generally ready to talk about real things from both sides, as long as the topics are real. It’s MRAs that are unwilling/unable to accept reality when it slaps them in the face. Projection much?

littleknown
littleknown

Honestly, what I found funniest about all of these were the ones who felt the need to “sign” their “artwork” — as if writing some poorly thought-out “gotcha” onto a stock Philosoraptor image is the kind of heavy effort that really calls out for recognition.

Three Guns
Three Guns

Former feminist turned MRA here.

Let’s see if I’m actually allowed to post.

Which thousands of years? For thousands of years, men were expected to die for the women in their lives. They were expected to either work themselves to death, or be ready to be killed for her. In return, women assumed domestic roles they quite enjoyed.

Why stop at thousands of years? Why not tens of thousands. Hunter-gatherer show we’d been doing this exact same thing since we started existing on the planet.

Meanwhile, historically, if a man beat his wife, he was tied to a pole in the public square, reserved exclusively for wife beaters, and flogged. The last man flogged for wife beating in America was in the mid 50s. But if a man was beaten by his wife, he was tied to a donkey backwards while the community threw things at him. Feminism doesn’t have an explanation for this.

Egalitarian. You’re going to be seeing that term a lot more.

why do you support something called the Men’s Rights movement?

Why do most Men’s Rights advocates call themselves Women’s Rights advocates. 🙂

“Meninism” is a joke to sell t-shirts. I don’t think any MRA would support a Meninist movement. And you’re not mad at us for having a Meninist movement. You’re mad at us for supporting men’s rights. Huh.

“Uh, because fighting for the “rights” of a group of people who already have more than their fair share of privileges is backwards and silly?”

Poor @Scildfreja.

There are legal rights women have that men lack. Name one that men have that women lack.

Actually, the idea that all men are rapists was very much a feminist tent pole during early second wave. And we’re still seeing that with the teach men not to rape movement.

Er, what? That doesn’t make any sense.

It was clearly meant as a insult by someone who has every reason to be angry with the way people like you talk about him.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, sure. I’m less convinced that’s how the term was meant when it was introduced by the Deluth Model. But YouTube up Karen Straughan’s talk “Toxic Masculinity and Toxic Femininity”.

That Geek Feminism definition is exactly what her talk is about.

No, it just underwrites the basic joke. The Ghostbusters are exterminators. From their jump suits to their working class attitude. Late night 70’s and 80’s tv in New York was littered with B-movies and poorly made commercials for business start ups. The joke is what if one of these exterminators hunted Ghosts.

It’s bad enough setting a Ghostbusters film today. But unless women suddenly start itching to get into the extermination trade, the joke has no premise.

It’s literally just iconic movie with male cast, so now must be female because feminism. Try to imagine an iconic female role, particularly some kind of kick ass character, being replaced with a male. Who’s angry. You guys. Huh.

Everyone has the right to defend themselves,

Full stop.

I can’t even. What?

Can’t even handle your own hate directed back at you? There, there. There, there.

Orion
Orion

Scildfreja,

Feminists admit, and admit readily, that there are rights that men need to get – unfair prison sentences. . .

Not on this board. The proposition that men in America receive discriminatory penalties in criminal sentencing actually ignited an extremely ugly flame war.

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

Oh? I missed that! It’s a fair enough thing to dispute, really. The point I was trying to make is that we try to look at reality’s side of things. mea culpa.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

@Orion

Link? Because you don’t have a great track record with the truth and that sounds like a drop of reality diluted in a bucket of WATM to me.

Imaginary Petal (formerly dhag85, trying out pronouns - they/their)
Imaginary Petal (formerly dhag85, trying out pronouns - they/their)

It’s cute when MRAs think we’ve never heard the most common MRA arguments before. It’s also cute when they pretend to be “former feminists”.