antifeminism misogyny MRA women in combat women's suffrage

Andrea “Judgy Bitch” Hardie: Women aren’t xenophobic enough to deserve the vote

I told you those gals were trouble!
I told you those gals were trouble!

It’s always refreshing to see Men’s Rights Activists momentarily cease their grousing about the alleged evil and inferiority of women and take up the important issues of our time — like, for example, whether we men should rise up as one and take away women’s right to vote.

Canadian MRA Andrea Hardie — perhaps better known by her pseudonyms “Janet Bloomfield” and “Judgy Bitch” — is leading the way, starting up the #WhyWomenShouldNotVote hashtag on Twitter and following this up with a couple of blog posts arguing that women need to have the vote taken from them.

Why does Hardie think that women (presumably including herself) have collectively forfeited the right to vote? Mostly because they disagree with her.

Hardie starts off her case against women’s suffrage with a familiar MRA argument, declaring that

No draft = no vote.

Women should not vote, because they will never be subject, in any meaningful way, to the draft.

As they used to say on Laugh-In, “very interesting, but stupid.” So how silly is this argument? Let me count the ways:

MRA assertions to the contrary, voting rights for men aren’t tied to the draft.

In the US, (white) men got the vote a long time before the draft began in earnest in World War I. (There was a draft during the civil war, but it only accounted for a very small percentage of soldiers.)

Men did not lose the vote when the draft was abolished in 1973. Nor was the right to vote ever stripped from Amish, Mennonite, or Quaker men who were granted conscientious objector status.

When selective service registration was reinstated in 1980, the draft itself did not return, nor has it during the wars the US has fought since then. Barring an invasion by giant spider monsters from space, the draft isn’t going to return to the US any time soon.

And while failure to register could, in theory, lead to jail time, this law isn’t enforced, and it’s been literally 30 years since anyone has faced charges for not registering.

Not only that, but male-only selective service registration seems destined for the scrapheap of history. With women now being allowed in combat positions in the armed forces, we will almost certainly see registration extended to women — or, perhaps, eliminated entirely for everyone.

Hardie offers two other reasons why women shouldn’t have the vote; both boil down to the fact that women do things with their votes that she doesn’t approve of.

First off, women tend to support a more robust welfare states than men. Well, that’s not exactly how Hardie puts it:

Women will consume government resources until the state collapses. As long as women can vote, they will consume, whilst not producing those resources.

She also blames women for stripping away the defense budget and leaving the US defenseless. Admittedly, this hasn’t actually happened, but Hardie is so sure it will that she has decided that women need to be punished in advance for this terrible hypothetical crime:

Recall that women cannot be drafted. They do not think in terms of military sacrifice, because they will never vote for themselves to be sacrificed. When the money starts to run out, which department do you think women will vote to begin stripping resources from? Which department do they have the least stake in? The least ability to understand?

They will strip money from the Department of Defense. …

Women should not vote, because they will eventually cannibalize the military, leaving us all at the mercy of our enemies.

Hardie is also angry that other women aren’t as racist as she is; indeed, she fears that “European women” will be so welcoming to darker-skinned Islamic invaders that civilization itself will crumble. Again, while this is her underlying argument, this is not exactly how Hardie would phrase things.

We can see the effects of women wanting to be ‘nice’ in Europe. The demographics of modern Europe aredownright terrifying. Ethnic European women refuse to have children, yet turn around and welcome in migrants with birth rates that will inevitably spell the end of ethnic Europeans.

This is what the neo-Nazies like to call “white genocide.”

This simply can’t happen. The European nuclear arsenal cannot fall into the hands of radical Islam. It’s a death sentence for all of us, and one being written by women. As long as women can vote, the great liberal civilizations built by men are going to fall. …

Are we willing to sacrifice our children to rapists while women contemplate whether being ‘nice’ is all it’s cracked up to be?

At this point, it seems like the only thing separating Hardie from the white power gang is that she’s less willing to use ethnic and racial slurs than they are. Oh, and that white supremacists tend to think more highly of women — at least those with white skin, anyway.

Hardie’s grand conclusion:

Women have had the vote in the West for almost 100 years, and all they have done is vote to destroy and destabilize the world men built for us, while protecting themselves from the blood consequences. They have voted selfishly, rapaciously, irrationally and quite possibly, irrevocably.

Women should not vote. That’s not misogyny.

It’s self-defence.

If Hardie sincerely believes all the junk she posts, I hope she draws the obvious conclusion: that as a woman, she herself shouldn’t be allowed to vote. While Canada has not passed a law to this effect, she can certainly remove herself from the voter rolls.

And if women are as inherently damaging to politics as she thinks they are, then perhaps she should not be allowed to post her opinions on the internet either? Again, there is no law mandating that Hardie shut up, but she can voluntarily silence herself, before her perfidious womanhood does more damage to the body politik than it already has.

Ms. Hardie, if you really believe that women are this inherently wrong and evil, the only real option available is to DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT.

bluecat
bluecat

@ EJ I was reading the Anglo Saxon chronicle when I first met my husband.

He saw it in my bag and started quoting The Battle of Maldon.

In the original.

Accurately.

bluecat
bluecat

@ Alan

(Missed the editing window, sorry) – the one I like is The Water of Ae, in Dumfriesshire. Which means The Water of Water.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ bluecat

I like the fact that there used to be just one actual lake in the Lake District; but then they reclassified it so now there are none. That’s the sort of contrarianism I admire in a local authority.

EJ (The Other One)

@bluecat:
Wow.

If by any chance you ever get tired of that man, could you give him my number please?

bluecat
bluecat

🙂

You’ll appreciate, there wasn’t much I could do after that but marry him.

Overly Long Name
Overly Long Name

@EJ

I was reading the Anglo Saxon chronicle when I first met my husband.

He saw it in my bag and started quoting The Battle of Maldon.

In the original.

Accurately.

Kularanini
Kularanini

@WeirwoodTreeHugger

I hear you, and I apologize if I was inappropriate. I’m not trying to diagnose anyone. I’m just constantly perplexed and fascinated when I read/hear these things.

What is the root of all their anger and hateful beliefs; how do they come to be? They are usually so confident that they’re speaking from a place of logic, but their arguments are usually completely nonsensical or conjecture. Judgy Bitch is also really odd to me in the sense of how does a women become a misogynist like that? Does she believe what she’s saying or is she just tallying up hits by being offensive and angry?

I always walk away from these posts with many questions.

reymohammed

Kularanini:

A. Queen bee-ism.
B. Lobster in a bucket syndrome.

As neither of these are psychiatric terms of art, I don’t hesitate to post them.

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden

Hardie sounds just like Ann Coulter. You can never tell whether Coulter is just grifting or if she really believes what she spews from her mouth.

Bina

I must be the only person here who on hearing the words ‘cis’ and ‘trans’ first thought is of Jordan.

Not quite; I did too, although before that, I thought of the alpine Gauls. And organic chemistry.

I’m still trying to figure out how to break it to my TERFish aquaintances, though, that “cis” is not a term of insult to non-trans people, and that if they’d only taken some bloody Latin at some bloody point, they’d realize that immediately.

LostInLindsey

@ Alan,

Cumbria comes from Cymbric – it’s one of those places in the west of the island where the language remained mostly Brythonic rather than Anglo-Saxon influence. Linguistically, it’s related to Welsh and Cornish, and was a separate British kingdom. There’s Norse influence in the mediaeval dialect, because a lot of Norse settlers lived there.

Northumbria comes from Bede, actually he had to explain what he meant in his Ecclesiastical History because it was a relatively new kingdom. Northumbria is the result of the combination of two earlier kingdoms, Deira and Bernicia, and incorporated the British kingdom of Elmet. It generally referred to the land north of the Humber.

The river Hull, like the Ouse and Ancolme are tributaries of the Humber estuary, although, those of us who actually live on the Humber bank do refer to the Humber as the River Humber.

@Bina

I thought chemistry when I first heard cis and trans too.

Cyberwulf
Cyberwulf

Ah good, that means Judgy Fuck won’t be voting then and thus can never bring about the changes to society she so desires. UNLESS SHE’S A MONSTROUS HYPOCRITE OF COURSE BUT THERE’S NO WAY THAT’S TRUE HAHA

Kat
Kat

@Cyberwulf

MONSTROUS HYPOCRITE

NO WAY THAT CANNOT BE TRUE SHE IS A SCHOLAR HA HA HA!

Dalillama
Dalillama

@Snowberry

The Trump fans are fascists, the Cruz fans are theocrats, the Rubio fans are libertarians,

The only difference on the ground is how often they praise Jesus, though; on a policy level, there’s no meaningful distinction.

because the only remaining candidate who isn’t a horrible excuse for a human being is Kasich.

Gonna have to disagree strongly on that one. There hasn’t been a Republican presidential hopeful in my lifetime who wasn’t a horrible excuse for a human being.

@Alan

what’s funny about ‘progressive’ politics is that a lot of it isn’t that new. From the barons to the levellers, the basic idea that all should be equal under the law has been understood pretty well, just not applied. But a lot of what has been written in the far past, once you adjust for linguistic changes, wouldn’t sound out of place on a modern political website.

And on the other side as well; I’ve read anti-union stuff from the 1840s that I could slap an ALEC (A Stateside corporate body devoted to corrupting the political process, for those not familiar) logo on it and say it was their latest circular and I don’t think anyone would notice.

Yeah, as there were at least two kingdoms that got united maybe it should be ‘United Kingdoms’? Then all the rest of the full title would make sense.

But they were united under one king… or something. I know that a lot of the borderers were really, really pissed off about it, though, because it meant they couldn’t get away with their traditional lifestyle anymore.

@Valentine

think this attitude comes from the fact that for the Americans ww1 was not something on their doorstep and then when it did come in the form of pearl harbour in ww2 they won’t shut the fuck up about it

Fucking this. Also the reason why people here are still pissing themselves over 9/11 a decade and a half later. I want to start flipping tables everytime anyone mentions it.

Not that it’s any exuse for naming someone’s country for them but they never seem to call it anything other than the Philippines when I ask them

AFAIK, there wasn’t a country there beforehand; there were a whole bunch of nations, who controlled some or all of one or more islands in what’s now the Philippines, and have stayed as one country since independence mostly because it’s the only way to get the UN to take them seriously. So there isn’t any original name that ‘Philippines’ replaced, because there wasn’t any prior conception of that particular cluster of islands being a unit.

@Ledasmom

Is that usage related to the usage of “pitch” in “pitch a tent”, do you know? Or to “pitch” in the sports sense, or are they all related?

@EJ
Egil’s Saga is definitely worth a read.

bluecat
bluecat

@ Overly Long Name

“sorry to ask a sort of rude or has a blindly obvious answer question, but he did that after you were already engaged in conversation right? he didn’t just walk up to you and quote it right? sorry for being kind of dense.”

Hi there,

We were working together, so we’d already had quite a few conversations by then. The Anglo-Saxon thing was in the canteen at work. We’d known each other at least a few weeks by then. IIRC he’d said something like “may I join you?” and “what are you reading?” or words to that effect.

(Another time was when I quoted from Sir Henry at Rawlinson End, by Viv Stanshall, and found out not only that he recognised the quote, but had known Stanshall at school, and they’d played briefly in the same band, before Stanshall went on to become quite famous to not many people with the Bonzo Dog Doodah Band).

It was a 12 week work contract, and when it ended we decided to stay in touch, and that turned into a date, and there we are…

We played a bit from Sir Henry at our wedding.

Re cis and trans – I thought Alps.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Alan:

Humber isn’t the name of the river, that’s the word for estuary. The river is The Hull and the town is actually called Kingston (as the real name of the town is Kingston upon Hull you’d think more people would know that)

Of course, over here, Humber and Kingston are completely unrelated. The Humber River flows through the Western side of Toronto, while Kingston (Ontario) is a considerable distance eastward. As in, 260km or so. (The Don River flows through the Eastern side of Toronto, and the core of Toronto was built between the two rivers.)

It’s kind of amusing just how many Ontario place names are English place names. London, Stratford (which is on the Avon River in Ontario as well, and naturally hosts a theatre company), Cambridge, Peterborough, Windsor, Waterloo…

Oh, look, there’s even a Wikipedia page for it:

Snowberry
Snowberry

Someone once explained to me why they found “cis” offensive. Because it feels like an outsider sticking a label on them which they have never self-identified as, apparently.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Snowberry:

… The sound you hear is that of a large number of irony meters exploding, and just about every minority in existence going ‘Now you know what it feels like’.

weirwoodtreehugger

Of course, the reason why we* never labeled ourselves as cis or anything equivalent is because we are viewed in society as the default. So default that we don’t even need a term for it.

Yeah, I’m not really crying over being called cis personally.

I don’t give a shit if other cis people want to go by a different label that means the equivalent thing, but throwing a tantrum over not being automatically viewed as the default gender identity in some circles is really icky.

* By “we” I mean myself and other cis people. Not trying to imply everyone commenting our reading is part of that we.

Earl
Earl

Ugh, I still cannot believe that this woman apparently lives in my city. I keep hoping I never run into her because I don’t want to scream at her in public.

Valentine
Valentine

@dalillama
I spoke to my watchkeeper this evening (he’s filipino) and he said that in tagalog they refer to the Philippines as Pinoy. And if not that then Philipinas. But I think Pinoy is probably the best use.

Rabid Rabbit
Rabid Rabbit

@WWTH,

I hear you. I mean, giving the percentages, I can see why cis is seen as the default, but that’s hardly a reason to get pissed off at people findign a term for it.

Bringing the matter of transpeople and the unfortunate nationality of the main subject of this thread together, let’s have some good news though, shall we?

Dalillama
Dalillama

@ Valentine
Yup. The demonym Pinoy is derived from the name Philippines, though. Also, by no means all residents apply it to themselves. It appears to be most commonly used by expatriates and descendants of same.

ColeYote
ColeYote

In addition to everything you said about why the draft argument is stupid, JB is Canadian. We have never had a permanent conscription law. We’ve implemented temporary conscription twice, and that was over 70 years ago.

The demographics of modern Europe aredownright terrifying.

I know, Germany is a whole 2.5% muslim! They’re basically Saudi Arabia! Fucking white nationalists…

Bina

Oh dear, that shoe sure pinches on the other foot, eh?

Ironically, a lot of these are the same people who will rant and rave about trans people being “hetronormative”, apparently. They seem to have gotten their messed-up ideas about trans folks from the sort of people who used to prescribe sex changes as a “cure” for homosexuality. They have a lot of difficulty wrapping their heads around the fact that someone can be L, G, or B, as well as T. Or even — heavens! — a total ace, who simply feels more at home in a gender other than the one assigned them at birth.

Yeah, their lack of capacity for comprehending irony is…interesting. And all the more ironic to me, as I’m about as cis and het as it gets. I feel incredibly uncomfortable about having to educate them on this, because their density is in direct proportion to their propensity to make convoluted arguments about things they don’t understand and don’t want to. Mostly, I just give up and walk away shaking my head.

More comprehensive sex ed is clearly needed in this area, too.

Olive O'Sudden
Olive O'Sudden

Why is Hardie arguing that the vote is tied to the draft? We don’t even have selective service registration in Canada.

Speaking of selective service in the USA, the threat of jail time for not registering isn’t the central issue, but rather the penalties that are actually imposed on young men who fail to register:

A young man who fails to register with Selective Service may be ineligible for opportunities that may be important to his future. He must register to be eligible for federal student financial aid, state-funded student financial aid in many states, most federal employment, some state employment, security clearance for contractors, job training under the Workforce Investment Act, and U.S. citizenship for immigrant men.

arash
arash

funny thing is even in countries like iran that we have conscription, voting has absolutely nothing to do with military service

Sascha Vykos
Sascha Vykos

I couldn’t tell who she hates more- herself or everyone
else.

I don’t understand why she thinks she has anything valuable to offer, since , you know, she claims to have vagina.

So I made this:

It was petty, I admit. But also “true” since she thinks women can’t do science or logic.

Clearly that also applies to her, because vagina, except it doesn’t.

Even if generations of women hadn’t jumped through more hoops than their male colleagues, like taking extra classes just to get lower paid jobs, they would have done more for humanity on their worst days than whats-her-face-Hardie ever did on her best day.

They would have had to work to fail as much as what’s-her-face does. Thankfully they weren’t as stupid and lazy.

Kat
Kat

@Sascha Vykos
Yeah, she’s a hater. Sometimes you just have to speak up to haters.

kale
kale

some black men got drafted when they were deprived of the vote, and many served even during the time of slavery.

also, if youre for mens rights, you should abolish the draft, not reinforce it!

Valentine
Valentine

@dalillama
Well I don’t know about expatriates. All my colleagues are residents in Philippines. From my experience if it is a journalist writing in tagalog or reporting in tagalog they will use pinoy. If it is a filipino person asking to another ship on the vhf they will say pogi (meaning handsome but also filipino) when they are asking if you there are other filipinos there. And then other than that identify by island. Eg mindanao = bisayas, cebu = cebuan. Mainly from what I’ve heard to say Philippines/Filipinos is only for the benefit of non-kabayan (countrymen).

kfreed
kfreed

“At this point, it seems like the only thing separating Hardie from the white power gang is that she’s less willing to use ethnic and racial slurs than they are. Oh, and that white supremacists tend to think more highly of women — at least those with white skin, anyway.”

Ever heard the term “academic racism”? This is exactly how white supremacists get their message across without using explicit racial slurs.

Next up: NO, white supremacists do not tend to think more highly of women. What prevents you from wrapping your brain around the fact that these MRA idiots ARE white supremacists?

“Judgy Bitch” is one of them: https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/intelligence-report/1999/women-neo-nazi-group-world-church-creator-speak-out

They’re also big on historical revisionism. See Judgy Bitch on the Confederate flag: http://judgybitch.com/2015/06/25/hate-speech-the-confederate-flag-and-feminism/

kfreed
kfreed

kfreed
kfreed

Not to mention… her entire schtick is Tea Party blather. Texas has already figured out how to curtail a woman’s right to vote: http://now.org/resource/voter-suppression-targets-women-youth-and-communities-of-color-issue-advisory-part-one/

Judgy Bitch isn’t just engaging in idle day-dreaming. The “men’s rights” movement isn’t just about hating women for the sake of hating women. It’s designed to give legs to Tea Party inspired anti-women legislation. And if anyone bothered to pay attention to the tea partying religious right, you’d note a parallel effort among evangelical fundies to demonize/otherize women.

Note also the following: “Libertarians get medieval on women”

And Libertarian Cato Institute – Libertarian billionaire Peter Thiel on why women shouldn’t be allowed to vote (he also happens to be one of fundieTed Cruz’s major sugar daddies): http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/04/201244104251611609.html

Are we getting the picture yet?

Dr. NicolaLuna
Dr. NicolaLuna

One of these days I’m planning to walk the length of the Severn.

I’d join you in that if you want company! My son loves to do walks for the charity Water Aid and a walk along the length of a river is perfect!

Dalillama
Dalillama

@ Valentine

That’s basically what I was getting at in my initial comment on the topic.

eu-lib-cons
eu-lib-cons

I actually agree with her, with a caveat:

1. Women deserve political representation.

2. Women do not have the instincts to conduct a defense policy.

From this follows that women need to be excluded or have a smaller vote on a certain policy area.

How to accomplish this is a matter of design for the political system.

CriticalDragon1177

David Futrelle,

Sounds like Andrea has a lot in common with Ann Coulter,

Ann Coulter: ‘Women Should Not Have The Right To Vote,’ But They ‘Can Still Write Books’

They could be friends.

eu-lib-cons
eu-lib-cons

> If Hardie sincerely believes all the junk she posts, I hope she draws the obvious conclusion: that as a woman, she herself shouldn’t be allowed to vote.

This is an obviously non-logical, stupid argument.

She says women vote left, and she wants to vote right.

So if she wants right-wing politics, she needs to keep voting right to at least cancel out the left-wing women.

CriticalDragon1177
Reply to  eu-lib-cons

I actually agree with her, with a caveat:

1. Women deserve political representation.

2. Women do not have the instincts to conduct a defense policy.

How to accomplish this is a matter of design for the political system.

The fact that you agree with Andrea at all on this is troubling. There have indeed been female warriors, so to claim that women as a whole do not have the instincts to conduct defense policy is nonsensical. Therefor It is even more nonsensical to limit their representation because of this myth. Its literally nothing more than sexism to assume that someone is less capable of defending themselves just because they happen to be a woman.

9 Female Warriors Who Made Their Mark On History

Top 10 Badass Female Warriors

Warrior women of the ancient world: 5 myths busted

Amazon Warriors Did Indeed Fight and Die Like Men

weirwoodtreehugger

Women do not have the instincts to conduct a defense policy.

Citation needed.

I also wonder why a defense policy should be based on instinct. I would think that like any other type of policy, it should be based on facts. But that must just be my silly little lady brain talking.

CriticalDragon1177
Reply to  eu-lib-cons

This is an obviously non-logical, stupid argument.

She says women vote left, and she wants to vote right.

No, because she has made it clear that she doesn’t think that women should be able to vote at all, and given the fact that she holds that position and she is a women herself, its hypocritical for her to be voting in the first place. Andrea Hardie cannot have her cake and eat it too. If women should be denied the right to vote on the grounds that they’re women, ( including left wing or progressive women ) than so should she on the grounds that she is a women. if she doesn’t like that, than she shouldn’t be advocating such a backward and misogynistic position. If what she believed were true, it would be wrong for her to be voting at all, since according to her own philosophy she shouldn’t be allowed to vote herself, and it should be obvious to anyone including her, as to why.

EJ (The Other One)

Women do not have the instincts to conduct a defense policy.

About that.

Golda Meier, Benazir Bhutto and Margaret Thatcher were all utter thugs on the world stage, happy to resort to violence whenever it suited them, and happy to cut deals with the most unpleasant of dictators as long as they benefitted from it.

Sibel Siber and Tatiana Turanskaya were out-and-out military warlords with no legitimacy except what they gained from the guns of their followers and the arms-length backing of major states (Turkey in Siber’s case, Russia in Turanskaya’s case.)

The great Indira Gandhi was hardly a pacifist. One could make similar comments about Yulia Tymoshenko.

Are Meier, Bhutto, Thatcher, Siber, Turanskaya, Gandhi and Tymoshenko not women? Did they not conduct defence policies?

arash
arash

@EJ (The Other One)

well according to her line of thought, they are exception like herself.
but i’m not sure how she describes the reason, a god-given ability or something acquirable like misogyny.

Boogerghost
Boogerghost

Gosh, it must be tough to be Janet Bloomfield. She has to deal with so much cognitive dissonance just being.

The funnest part for me is trying to work out whether or not she considers “radical Islam” to have been built by men too. Either it’s the fault of those European women for picking the WRONG men to run civilisation, after having being “given” the right to pick men… by men themselves… or radical Islam is somehow a feminised thing… Which I guess is what our old friend Hardchairs McPenguinWhores might argue…? And in that case, are the European women “picking” the Islamic migrant women? Using the power European men gave them?

What?

Luckily men have perfect instincts for defense policy. No nation has ever gotten into a horrendous military quagmire with a man at the helm.