Uncategorized

Trump fans celebrate his N.H. victory with racist cartoons, anime memes, and Pepe

We're going to be seeing a lot more of this, alas.
We’re going to be seeing a lot more of this, alas.

On the Twitter, some of Donald Trump’s most unsavory supporters are celebrating his big win in New Hampshire by flooding Twitter with bad photoshops, racist cartoons, creepy fan art, anime memes, and more than a few Trump-themed Pepes.

I found a lot of these by looking at the #FashTheNation hashtag; it’s the name of an alt-right YouTube show. The “fash” part of the title refers to “fascism,” not “fashion.” I left out some of the more extravagantly racist memes I ran across.

trumptweetdelete

guy

Um, yes, I did mention that it hits every box on snowberry’s list.

Dr. Pavel
Dr. Pavel

I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear enough, I’m not on my game today (I’m diagnosed with bipolar) and sometimes I get excited easily and forget people can’t read my thoughts. The Archie comics are totally a caricature of some of the most deeply embedded archtypes of the (colonial white) America that keeps not only the States but the world at large from understanding different cultures and viewpoints. Sure, you say, it’s nothing but a small example and has no relevance to the world outside. According to the ancient wisdom of Hermetic philosophy though, “As above, so below.”

The entire cultural landscape of the Archie comics is a bourgeoisie hell-hole with no conflict or challenges of diversity. Jughead rationalizing the fact that he can’t lift weights and deciding to call himself asexual is not truly tackling hard problems. There’s a lot Archie comics could do to dispel the over-arching narrative of Islamaphobia by normalizing women in traditional Islamic clothing. Religious intolerance is getting to be too much. We’re on the verge of fascism here and if we want to make any progress we need to break down some dinosaur barriers of culture, and fast.

I can’t believe it’s 2016. Peace On Lemmings.

A. Noyd
A. Noyd

guy says:

The thing is, there is absolutely no line between the anime A Noyd is talking about and the anime in which female characters pilot giant robots into battle. […] But on the other hand, his most popular characters are not anything like demure and helpless.

[…]

So in general, […] even people who watch harem anime, do not in fact necessarily do so because they fetishize quiet and obedient girls who can’t do anything without a man’s help.

Well, duh, not all the stock character sex objects are “helpless” and “demure” and “quiet” and “obedient.” Who said they were? Harems are about supplying whatever a male viewer/reader/player likes, and plenty of them like the physically or magically powerful girls. Or sassy girls. Especially seeing them get boob-groped or up-skirted. Or even raped. It’s still all about giving creepy nerds boners. And yet, the powerful and sassy girls still almost always end up damseled or tamed into traditional gender roles at some point, anyway.

EJ (The Other One)

You can tell a lot about a culture from what its media assumes are common background assumptions.

I watched an anime once. It was called Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex. I watched it because the person I was dating at the time was very into it.

The anime mentioned in passing that there was a human insurgency against the AIs. “Cool,” I said, “This is going to be like the later Matrix movies except good.”

Reader, the only time it actually came up at all, the anime assumes that its viewers would naturally side with the AIs and would see purestrain humans – you know, those things that you and I are – as beasts that could be admired but not empathised with and which had to be swept aside so that the master race could triumph.

Again: this wasn’t a plot point. The anime simply assumed that its audience would naturally take this viewpoint.

What the fuck, Japan!

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

@Unlucky Blackjack:
Awww, you’re very kind. How about we just skip past the baby part and do the science? After all, babies are easy to make and assemble using unskilled labour and there’s plenty of people around who would happily do that if we gave them the money. Meanwhile real experiments need to be done: I’m still not convinced by any of the learned literature on whether or not dogs can look up, for instance.

@Scildfreja:
Coates himself is deeply uncomfortable with people saying that he endorsed Sanders, because he really feels that he didn’t:

This morning I went on Democracy Now to discuss my critique of “class-first” policy as a way of ameliorating the effects of racism. In the midst of that discussion I made the point that one can maintain a critique of a candidate—in this case Bernie Sanders—and still feel that that candidate is deserving of your vote. Amy Goodman, being an excellent journalist, did exactly what she should have done—she asked if I were going to vote for Senator Sanders.

I, with some trepidation, answered in the affirmative. I did so because I’ve spent my career trying to get people to answer uncomfortable questions. Indeed, the entire reason I was on the show was to try to push liberals into directly addressing an uncomfortable issue that threatens their coalition. It seemed wrong, somehow, to ask others to step into their uncomfortable space and not do so myself. So I answered.

My answer has been characterized, in various places, as an “endorsement,” a characterization that I’d object to. Despite my very obvious political biases, I’ve never felt it was really my job to get people to agree with me. My first duty, as a writer, is to myself. In that sense I simply hope to ask all the questions that keep me up at night. My second duty is to my readers. In that sense, I hope to make readers understand why those questions are critical. I don’t so much hope that any reader “agrees” with me, as I hope to haunt them, to trouble their sense of how things actually are.

It’s really no different with Senator Sanders. The idea that anyone would cast a vote because of how I am casting my vote makes my skin crawl. It misses the point of everything I’ve been trying to do in my time at The Atlantic. The point is to get people to question, not to recruit them into a religion. Citizens are not sheep. They do not need shepherds, and even if they did I would be poorly qualified. I have thought quite deeply about the problem of racism in American society. I have thought somewhat deeply about inequality and the social safety net. I have though only modestly about foreign policy and the environment. And I haven’t thought much at all about net neutrality. I voted for the first time in 2008, following years of skepticism about electoral politics. Whatever. The point is that this is not the record of someone who should be telling other citizens how to vote.

I know what I know, and not much more. And one thing I learned while The Horde was active was to never confuse the perch I enjoy here, one that is as much a matter of chance as anything else, with broad knowledge. So I am no position to offer an “endorsement” to Sanders—one he did not seek, and does not need.

It is important to say this not just as a writer, but as a black writer. Too often individuals are appointed to speak for black people. I don’t want any part of it. Black voters deserve to be addressed in all of their beautiful and wonderful complications, not through the lens of unelected “thought-leaders.” I was asked a question. I tried to answer it honestly. And that’s really all I have.

Shitlord
Shitlord

Do people here seriously can’t understand those memes?
They are very direct to point.
Also, why is it weird to hate Canada, the most cuck-friendly country in the whole Americas?
Why would it be weird to depict the execution of rivals?
Why are you such pussies?

occasional reader
occasional reader

Hello.

Well, the range of japanese comics and cartoons is as wide as in any other countries, with many categories and sub-categories. Being that wide may imply that almost anybody can find something she/he like.
And as for movies or videogames, you can even be pleased by something which does not deeply tie in your moral points of view and principles. This does not mean that you can not see or report the flaws in it, but you have maybe found some points that entertain you, and thus you enjoy it at your own level.
So, the same way you may enjoy a movie with shitty scenario, bad actresses/ors who played badly stereotyped characters, and cheap setting, just because it is so absurdly bad it makes you laugh (in France, we call that a “nanar”), you may enjoy a manga full of flaws and/or not primarily directed to you just because some points are appealing to you. You can be a Woman of Color and enjoy an anime aimed at men with no character of color because the plot please you. You can be a cis man and enjoy a yaoi manga because the story takes place in a era that you like.

So it is no wonder that people we are not agree with can sometimes use anime/manga characters as icons, in the same way they can use characters from comics. That is a pity for the artworks in question, but we are not narrowminded to generalize and to always associate the said artworks with the way of thinking and acting of those who use them, are we ?

Have a nice day.

Kat
Kat

@Brony, Social Justice Cenobite
Thanks for doing all that thinking about why people do terrible things. You put into words some things that I was feeling but couldn’t articulate. “Dominance display”: You called that one.

I had a quick look at your website. I can see you’ve been doing a lot of thinking for quite some time now!

Kat
Kat

@EJ (The Other One)

What are you going to do, write mean emails? Oh no, you called me a poopyhead! Whatever shall I do? I’ll have to distract myself by playing one of those new video games that are deliberately catering to the SJW crowd. You know, all of them.

You made me laugh!

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ EJ

simply assumed that its audience would naturally take this viewpoint.

I quite like it when a narrative goes against assuming readers will side with the human protagonists. That seems to be the default (“writers are human” as tvtropes would put it) and it’s good to challenge that.

Probably the first book I ever read that took the stance that ‘humans are the bad guys’ was ‘The Secret of NIMH’. That book was very influential on me and perhaps informs my stance on animal rights (or maybe just reinforced a few I’d already formed, it’s always hard to say).

Challenging the inherent prejudice that there’s something special about humans is, I think, a good thing. Telling a story from the perspective of non human protagonists, whether they be animal, machines or aliens causes us to have a long hard think about ourselves. That works particularly well where the narrative doesn’t labour the point.

To use your GITS example, having the story draw attention to the fact that its viewpoint is unusual would be like Mark Twain having an introductory paragraph along the lines of “Oh by the way, I know it’s not what you’d expect, but in this book you’re meant to rooting for the black guy.”

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

@Alan:
Secret of NIMH was excellent in that it explored the concept of what it is to be an animal, but it did that explicitly as foreground: it forced you to think in that way and it made all the characters likeable and empathic once you’d put your head into that mode of thinking. That’s cool. I can go with that. Likewise, I Am Legend does the same thing with the “humans are cthulhu” trope, and arguably The Walking Dead does it to make you sympathise with the zombies.

However, this requires deliberate work and planning on the part of the author.

There’s a big difference between that and works which simply assume that it’s a basic background assumption which everyone shares. For example, go back and read Coriolanus again (or watch Fiennes’ excellent film of it.) It has an unquestioned assumption in it that “democracy is bad because non-aristocrats are sheep who are easily led, and any leader who’s elected rather than born to the post is always bad at it.” Unlike NIMH, this isn’t the point of the work, and so it isn’t developed properly enough to get you into that headspace: to a modern reader it just grates.

Another example is the Turner Diary: it assumes that its readers are already in favour of white supremacy and see liberalism as weakness, and so doesn’t spend any words trying to sell you on it. This assumption about the audience means that when a disciple of Karl Popper (like myself) reads it, they’ll go “Wait, what? Where are all the words that you should have written to make these racists’ heads inhabitable?”

This, to me, is the big difference between Ghost in the Shell and something like Blade Runner: the one carefully makes the case for you sympathising with machines over humans, and the other just assumes that you’re already in favour of it and panders to that.

(EDIT: Another example, from the opposite side, might be Hamlet. Hamlet is my favourite Shakespeare play of all time and I will not hear a word said against it; but it translates very poorly into other cultures. The film critic Kyle Kallgren told an anecdote about trying to explain it to West Africans whose culture was in favour of women remarrying their death husbands’ brothers, but was strongly against youths rebelling against elder authority. When these things are presented as unquestioned assumptions, it means that the piece grated on these viewers.)

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ EJ

Ha, you won’t be surprised to know that ‘Coriolanus’ is the only Shakespeare play I like :-). Although that’s because of its Kiplingesque “It’s Tommy this and Tommy that…” theme of ingratitude to soldiers once they’re no longer needed rather than the politics.

I get what you’re saying about ‘laying out the argument’ for sympathising with non human characters; but I still prefer the approach of not doing so. That approach still comes from the perspective that ‘humans are the default’ whereas just diving straight in there as if the book was written for a non human audience seems to make the point better for me. That way seems to have a more authentic ‘voice’. But that’s just subjective taste of course.

Pandapool -- The Species that Endangers YOU (aka Jackie; currently using they/their, he/his, she/her pronouns)

The most popular anime do include Naruto and Dragon Ball Z; I honestly can’t tell you what their female characters are like because I’ve never worked up the will to watch them

Dragon Ball Z is amazing. Watch Dragon Ball first, though. Avoid Dragon Ball GT.

(Naruto sucks.)

@EJ

Actually, Ghost In The Shell:Stand Alone Complex is not run by AIs; the only meaningfully intelligent AIs in the show are the Tachikoma spider tanks. Virtually the entire population is some degree of cyborg. The protagonists range from Togusa, who basically has a cell phone in his head and no other augmentations, to Major Kusunagi, who was severely injured in a plane crash as a young girl and is presently a human brain in a robotic shell. There’s one episode where they attack a terrorist organization that flatly rejects any form of artificial modification in order to rescue hostages; otherwise anyone they meet can be assumed to be at least as augmented as Togusa.

Ghost In The Shell has a lot of different versions and in some of them (like the movie that actually inspired the Matrix in a number of ways) do have other AIs, but not as a ruling overclass.

Tracy
Tracy

You are adamantly weak, and revel in your weakness, and this dear Lefties, is why you will never understand a place where anyone can speak their mind… because in that melee, you would be forced to be strong.

A place where anyone can speak their mind, without having to put their name to it or defend their point of view. You can post something, then post something directly afterwards that contradicts it just for shits and giggles. How on earth is anyone there forced to be strong? You’re all anon. It’s a pretty safe, secure place to be; you never have to back up anything you say or face any opposition or criticism whatsoever.

Which is fine, I suppose, if you’re just screwing around. But this attitude that /pol/ is some free expression utopia where only the strong survive is baffling to me, since it takes no courage or fortitude whatsoever to be one anon in a sea of anons posting memes. IRL it would be like a huge room full of people hidden behind screens, using voice disguisers. How are you forced to be strong when you’re safely hidden and no-one knows who anyone is?

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

@EJ, I know that Coates really doesn’t want to be seen as giving an endorsement, and I respect him hugely for taking that stand! Unfortunately, he’s a very well respected voice, and regardless of what he says, it’s gonna be seen as an endorsement. That’s sort of what a vote is, after all – it’s an endorsement of a candidate.

re: Ghost in the Shell; I’ve seen a few of the movies, but not a huge amount of it. The plots are nuanced and quite complicated, but I’ve never seen it as “AI Good Human Bad”. I’ll have to look at it again! There is a lot of male gaze pandering, though.

@Pandapool; you need to watch Dragonball Z Abridged. Need to need to. Here is the playlist. Ten minute episodes, and give it a few – they’re a little shaky until episode 6. Naturally, it doesn’t get really good until Vegeta shows up :3 I don’t even like Dragonball, and DBZA is hilarious.

(Dammit Nappa.)

Valentine
Valentine

I must admit the whole reason I orgianally liked ghost in the shell was for that one part in one of the movies where kusunagi gets naked at the top of a building so she can turn invisible and jump off. But then again I was about 16 at the time so I like to think my taste has developed more than just ‘there were boobs in it’

guy

Yeah, there’s a lot of Ghost In The Shell adaptions. Characters and setting are pretty much the same; plots are different. And yes, The Major does spend quite a lot of time in skintight outfits. Supposedly this is partially to convey a sense that full-conversion cyborgs are desensitized to nudity due to their fully mechanical bodies. I can buy that for the 1995 movie; the assembly montage in the opening deliberately highlights the lack of any gentilia and the disconnection from normal human experience is a reoccuring theme. Stand Alone Complex, not so much; it’s got plenty of philosophical themes but not that one.

Incidentally it alludes to gender identity with one of The Major’s subordinates occasionally asking why she doesn’t switch to a male body, since they’re physically larger and thus have more room for artifical muscles and she’s very much traditionally masculine in behavior. The apparent answer is that she’s not trans (when her current body loses an arm she gets an upgraded version of the same one) and she doesn’t need to outmuscle people when she can instead hack them and make them punch themselves in the face (also as a top-end military model she usually wins contests of strength and anyway owns a gun), but people do it and it’s heavily implied it’s not generally considered strange. The only specifically known instance was rather creepy, though; a woman got an exact copy of one of the male members of Section 9 and tried to kill and replace him. But that didn’t really imply it was in any way creepier than if a man had done the same thing. First episode also has a politican who likes swapping his brain into a geisha robot and the control system into his body; people find it a bit of an odd preference but it’s only plot-important because someone takes the opportunity to swipe his brain mid-transfer, swap their brain into his body, and steal classified information.

Fabe
Fabe

@Guy

I think EJ may be talking about “Ghost in the shell:Stand alone complex,Solid State Society” . If I recall correctly A.Is were using Ghost hacking to place neglected children with equally neglected seniors in the hopes of giving both better lives or something like that.

EJ (The Other One)

@Scildfreja:
Since I wrote that this morning, I’ve done some reading and my position has somewhat hardened. I’m very disappointed in the Sanders campaign for the way they’ve handled this.

Coates went on air not to praise Sanders, but to raise the point that Sanders has said some problematic things and can be seen as throwing black people under the bus. He wanted to spark off a deep and important dialogue that really needed to be had.

The Sanders campaign should have responded to him in a way that showed some respect. Instead, they seized on the brief moment where Coates said that he was still personally probably going to vote for Sanders anyway, completely ignoring every other point he made. Coates’s deep, passionate and well-reasoned thinking may as well have been him singing covers of old Aqua songs for all the response it got.

If this was malice then I could understand it, but I don’t think it is. I think they simply don’t give a damn what he thinks as long as they can spin it as “Prominent Black Person Supports Us”; and I’m troubled by what this says about Sanders’ attitudes to black people.

I’m not black and I’m not American. I don’t know what it’s like to be black and American. But if I were, I don’t think I would consider this episode much of a reason to support Sanders.

@Fabe

Possibly; haven’t watched that movie. It apparently does involve the Puppetmaster AI, which appeared in the 1995 movie. In that one it was a military attack AI that went rogue after being used for some dubious purpose. Main villains are the humans responsible for the incident and willing to kill to cover it up. Ultimately mind-merged with The Major to become something neither human nor AI, roll credits. Mind, it explictly had a soul, which is a measurable phenomenon in the setting (the titular Ghost).

Viscaria
Viscaria

It’s true, I was friendly to several cuckolds today.

Pretty sure Dr. Pavel up there is the totally uneccesary return of Pell.

:DDD
:DDD

Had much fun reading that comment analysis, thanks guys, great fun!

But always remember, the reason you don’t like Trump is because he is everything you’re not.

He’s successful, while you’re mediocre at best. He’s surrounded by hot women while you’re not getting any attention. He provides for himself and others, while you leach. He loves himself while you’re barely holding any facade. He is liked by many whatever he says, while you constantly seek approval. He has, you have not.

And for everything above you will find a justification, that he is not smart, not in a good shape, not at all wealthy, not a provider. All of that is – you. Even worse than that, you just don’t have the capacity to accept things for what they are.

Never change, God bless and greetings from not (yet) so delusional Europe!

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

@EJ,

I know, I’m really leery of how Bernie is handling the issues of African Americans and minorities, too. He’s had ample opportunity to speak up about those issues in more than sound bytes, and has yet to do so. It’s one of the elements of his campaign that he hasn’t been clear about. The fact that he continues to do so it worrisome.

I support Bernie (for all the good it does a Canadian to support Bernie) because his central platform is all about re-regulation and fair taxation, universal health care, and accessible education. Hillary is going to let the Wall Street games continue, which will have knock-on effects that the whole world will feel.

He’s got problems, but is overall moving in the right direction. She’s a political chameleon indebted to the financial industry. Hopefully he can sort out his problems; I can’t see Hillary repairing hers.

EJ (The Other One)

@Guy:
Thanks for reminding me. Yes, it was that episode with the pro-human militants. The dialogue called them extremists but I remember feeling when watching it that this term felt ‘off’ in the way old South African media referring to black nationalism as “terrorism” and “a tiny minority who everyone else shuns” was ‘off’.

I might be misremembering it though. I was, erm, distracted.

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

@Kat

Thank you. It’s a case of “smelling my own” in terms of someone just trying to be authoritarian and domineering in a community sense. People with Tourette’s Syndrome have to spend a lifetime controlling the same instincts that these assholes just give into without resistance. TS is in many ways like an overdose of social emotions including the ones having to do with social dominance and conflict. Children with TS have problems with boundary issues and that urge that some of us have to use insults is there for a reason. I’ve been struggling to find socially useful ways of expressing it and one is way is kind of like dropping “cheat codes” for how it works.

I spent the last six years teaching myself as much brain science as I can so that I can understand what TS is. As you go back in time it becomes demon possession. It’s been very very useful in a general human sense as well as in understanding my advantages, disadvantages and excesses that can become flaws if not properly managed. It ironically gives me some privilege online.

@Tracy

You bring up something very significant that I have noted in the past when it comes to these sorts of people. Anon posting comes with it’s own psychology and one area where they are weak is in awareness and concern for reputation. In many ways when it comes to how the brain makes the mind you are what you do.
These people often wreck their own reputations by acting without limits and one of the few ways they can deal is by staying in places where they don’t have to worry about it. Without personal identity they lack an important kind of psychological anchor that drives human improvement. On top of that they overuse group psychology so they are often very weak outside of group actions driven by a smaller number of more powerful authoritarian personalities, so they are naturally gravitating towards these xenophobic bigoted mob actions and people like Trump.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Scildfreja, Pandapool:

(Dammit Nappa.)

After Vegeta gets punched into a mountain:

Are you okay?

(sarcastically) Oh, sure, it’s all gumdrops and ice cream in here.

Cool! Can I see?

… I am surrounded by idiots.

I thought you were surrounded by gumdrops and ice cream.

*scream of incoherent rage*

Rabid Rabbit
Rabid Rabbit

@Shitlord the Well-Named,

Well, in my case, because I live here. Also because cucking isn’t actually a thing outside of fetishes, and if Canada is in fact more friendly towards people exploring their less normative tastes, that’s not a bad thing.

Why would it be weird to depict the execution of rivals?

Not weird; distasteful. There’s a difference.

Why are you such pussies?

Because if you look at enough cat gifs, you turn into a cat. Run while you still can.

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

Ooh, I missed this one while it was in the holding pen.

Do people here seriously can’t understand those memes?
They are very direct to point.

Do people there seriously can’t understand English grammars? They are very direct to point.

Those memes are very direct to point but also very stupid. We are seriously can’t believe its motivations. So we are dissecting them and making fun of them!

Lol.

cuck

Canada is the most friendly of cucks in the whole of Americas, huh? Perhaps it is because all of Canada is friendly of all persons! Come, have a maple syrup.

Why would it be weird to depict the execution of rivals?
Why are you such pussies?

Hey, an actual sentence without any glaring language issues! Congratulations, gold star.

We don’t like the execution of rivals or depiction of same because we don’t live in the 14th century, and don’t take joy in death or bloodshed.

We are pussies because pussies are incredibly tough, resilient, and life-giving.

Why are you such balls?

Somewhat OT: I’m really disappointed that Elizabeth Warren didn’t run because at this point it’s obvious that literally everyone would have voted for her.

Imaginary Petal (formerly dhag85, trying out pronouns - they/their)
Imaginary Petal (formerly dhag85, trying out pronouns - they/their)

@katz

I agree. Sadly, 8 years from now she’ll be the same age Bernie is right now (i.e. very old). She should’ve run this time.

I do think a Sanders/Warren ticket could be interesting, but maybe a white VP wouldn’t be a great idea at this point.

WeirwoodTreeHugger
WeirwoodTreeHugger

It’s weird to hate Canada because how could you hate a country that gave us Degrassi and You Can’t Do That on Television?

Also, Patrick Chan is a really great figure skater.

It’s true, Canada did send Justin Bieber to us but isn’t Margaret Atwood Canadian? She makes up for that fuckery.

@BSCJ

Since I also have a similar nose, just to expand that point a little.

Be very careful of mass generalizations and categorization: quite often their dialogue really is not as straight forward as they pretend.

Quite a lot of the (old) /pol/ stuff and now 4/8chan divide (new terms: normies / Robots / Kuk) was always about explicitly breaking taboos to both self-select for a certain kind of mental schema and to prevent translation. (Private Language). It’s also a case that many on the boards were paid to do so (by various people) – think of it as a type IV bioweapons lab, but using memes (if you think that the people who run ‘Troll Farms’ and ’50c brigades’ and even the ’15 Psychological Operations Group’ aren’t at the very least training there, you’re being somewhat naive).

So – next time you spot a big flame out, it might be doing something entirely different than merely ‘lack of self-control’.

If you’ve the nose for it, I’d suggest thinking about their use of Egyptian Gods in their response thread, and then look up what the text I quoted is about. Hint: the destruction of Memphis / Egypt (at least in part).

I was, bluntly, saying something a little bit more direct than you’d expect at first.

I realize that the tone of this blog is light-hearted, and the actors in question have a solid history in raiding / DDoS etc, so unless there’s interest I won’t theorize more deeply.

Will be interested to see if this is published though (@ webmaster – if nothing else, add it to the research pile).

Imaginary Petal (formerly dhag85, trying out pronouns - they/their)
Imaginary Petal (formerly dhag85, trying out pronouns - they/their)

It’s funny how /pol/ morons think anyone would be interested in having a discussion with them, or asking them questions about their opinions.

dlouwe
dlouwe

It’s true! We also gave you insulin, basketball, baggage tags, instant mashed potatoes, and William Shatner.

guy

The situation turns out to be somewhat more complicated, but the oil rig group is absolutely a terrorist organization, albeit one with some legitimate grievances but also specific opposition to lifesaving medical operations.

At the start, the situation is that a young woman from a wealthy family disappeared maybe a decade ago, and then exactly the same woman was spotted on the oil rig; assumed to be because she’s a full-conversion cyborg and not there voluntarily. A small group is sent in to infiltrate the oil rig and rescue her; they disappear. At that point the protagonists are called in to storm the oil rig, rescue the hostage, and ideally also the first rescue team. They do not intend to kill everyone but in pitched battles against dozens of people with assault rifles they do not have much choice; as the protagonists are cybernetic special forces veterans with tank support and their opponents are not it ends up pretty one-sided. It turns out that the hostage they came to rescue is not a full-conversion cyborg, only about as much of one as Togusa, and she had been subjected to unethical medical experiments and suffering premature aging; the woman spotted on the oil rig was her daughter, but by the time they learn this the fighting is pretty much over.

Also, the show and the protagonists do not necessarily approve of all the things the government in the show does. I think the person responsible for the experiments was one of the people jailed when they arrested the entire cabinet, a large chunk of the ruling party, high-ranking members of the Ministry of Health, and the leadership of at least one and I think several international medical conglomerates. I mean, that wasn’t mentioned specifically but they arrested seriously a lot of people.

Rabid Rabbit
Rabid Rabbit

Also John Kenneth Galbraith, who hopefully makes up for Ted Cruz. But don’t worry, we don’t want Cruz back. You can keep him (if you must).

Paradoxical Intention

Shitlord | February 11, 2016 at 3:31 am
Do people here seriously can’t understand those memes?

No, because we’re not fluent in /pol/speak. Just like we have our own memes here that you wouldn’t understand without context, outside of /pol/, this shit makes no sense.

For instance, Shut up Woody, David is a business of ferrets in a David suit, and jokes about the Bonbon Mines.

Spend enough time on a board or comments section, and you’ll get context for inside jokes. It’s a thing.

They are very direct to point.

What point? That /pol/ likes racists?

I didn’t know Canada had such a prosperous porn industry. Though, I suppose that up north when it gets super chilly and you’re snowed in, and you just happen to have a camera lying around…

Why would it be weird to depict the execution of rivals?

Because most people don’t consider murder to be a good “conflict resolution tool”.

Why are you such pussies?

He knows.

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

scented fucking candles.

@PI

It’s more a case of “super predators” (and yes, this is currently a meme axing H. Clinton in the race – surprised much?) and so on.

The basic divide is one of Predator / Prey relations (it goes all the way up to G.S. etc) as a metaphor.

BSCJ is claiming to be one, and I’m something a little different, but the theme has already arrived.

They don’t respect anything but bared teeth, mind fucks and Korne / Slaanesh, part of the point of their “power” is that you can’t (or, more realistically, wouldn’t ever want to) engage on their level.

Our point is that they’re just barracuda, and Orcas eat Sharks for breakfast let alone them.

So – don’t. You don’t have to. Your existence is better not doing so, and just playing the card that you’ve better things to focus on.

Just realize that Orcas exist and they’re a lot better at it than the sharks. Hint: we’re flagging up their triggers all over the place right now. The more mindful ones will be considering just how far behind they are.

@Pool Kids

You didn’t invent this, we did. You’re just along for the ride.

Read the female prophesy yet?

It goes deeper, newfags. Expect to kneel.

Paradoxical Intention

Fifth Sibylline | February 11, 2016 at 2:58 pm

I didn’t understand a goddamned word of that. Can I please get a translator in here?

That’s the point.

You don’t want a translator, because you’re (presumably) a well adjusted human being who is just eating popcorn looking at the Abyss through a telescope and wearing prophylactics.

Which is a good thing.

It’s more a translation for the other side.

Note: I’m happy to converse in your language and hang out and eat cookies and chat about life, but that’s not why I’m here at this specific point in time.

The real point is that all this “ALT-RIGHT” stuff is predicated on there never being a response that is also human (aka, not Stalin, Mao, blah blah Authoritarian genocide).

The take away is that there certainly is.

Bastet loves you by the way.

Fifth Sibylline

Er, missed a “Not” there. never being a response that is also not human i.e. That predators are always on their side or that you have to be the “darkest sith lord” to rule them or combat them or become a VP @ GS.

It’s simply a bad case of evolutionary bias and (this is the right, after all) thinking that’s about 30-50 years out of date.

And yes, all of this is highly metaphorical.

Look up Orcas, there’s a few different kinds 😉

Paradoxical Intention

Fifth Sibylline | February 11, 2016 at 3:13 pm

[Edited response]

Ah, that makes a bit more sense. Especially with the edit.

Bastet loves you by the way.

Are you referring to the Cat Goddess? Because if so, yay~

Are you referring to the Cat Goddess? Because if so, yay~

Yes, I am.

And careful, she has claws.

@Pool

Wait till you see the next two reveals.

Oh. Site doesn’t do .gif

:sadpanda:

Bina

Is that shitlord still here?

Fuck off, Shitlord.

Bina

Do people here seriously can’t understand those memes?
They are very direct to point.
Why would it be weird to depict the execution of rivals?
Why are you such pussies?

“They are very direct to point.”

And you are very bad Englisher.

Why you no English good, Shitlord? And why do you hate Canada? What have we ever done to you? Someone’s gotta be polite to all the poor “cucks”, after all, with you snot-nosed shitchan schoolyard bullies constantly picking on them…

guy

Oh, I will say that Ghost In The Shell and other anime with police protagonists do provide a good bit of culture shock, though I get the feeling that at least some of it is in fact meant to feel somewhat off. They’re shockingly casual about some things treated as big issues in the US; Ghost In The Shell protagonists will offhandedly ask if the media blackout on (large-scale hostage situation in Tokyo) is still holding. When there’s some sort of major danger like a bomb, the police arrange to clear people out with some pretext and steadfastly do not mention the threat (I assume to avoid a stampede, which makes sense but would probably not be well-received in the US). There’s lots of mass survellience in the higher-tech ones, presented in a way that makes it feel like the audience is supposed to uncritically accept that having cameras everywhere, automated internet survellience, ultrasound patterns throughout the city to roughly locate the source of a phone call from the recording, or a master file of everyone’s brainwave patterns are all things the police should absolutely do when it becomes reasonably practical. I think some of that is supposed to get a “wait, WHAT?” reaction from the audience but other parts aren’t, and I’m not really sure which is which.