#gamergate anti-Semitism antifeminism doxing empathy deficit harassment hypocrisy irony alert literal nazis lying liars men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny penises PUA racism rape rape culture red pill return of kings rhymes with roosh

The Daily Mail tracks Roosh V to his mother’s basement, where he lives. No, really.

Roosh Valizadeh, as he would prefer to be seen
Roosh Valizadeh, as he would prefer to be seen

This is just getting surreal.

The Daily Mail — yes, that Daily Mail — has tracked Roosh to his mother’s house in Silver Spring, Maryland, where he is currently living. In the basement.

The location of the pet shop has yet to be determined.

So, yeah. The Daily Mail literally staked out Roosh’s mom’s house, and snapped a few pictures of the man himself answering the door, looking a bit flustered, in a pit-stained t-shirt, after he called cops to the house to discuss the threats he’s been getting from people around the world unamused by his allegedly satirical article advocating the legalization of rape on private property.

Meanwhile, in the House of Commons — yes, that House of Commons, the one in London — Members of Parliament have been mocking the size of Roosh’s … following. As reported on Metro.co.uk,

Labour MP Chi Onwurah went a step further than this, suggesting he was ‘so insecure in his own masculinity’ that he felt the need to ‘augment the size of his… following’ – prompting giggles from around the Commons chamber.

Home Office minister Karen Bradley joined in, adding: ‘I join her in her comments about perhaps the reasons why this individual is doing what he is doing, ensuring he is getting publicity, in a way perhaps he needs for other reasons. I’ll say no more.’

Wink wink, nudge nudge. Say no more!

Oh, and Anonymous — yes, that Anonymous — now says it plans to dox Roosh’s supporters. Highlighting the many ironies here, their announcement of what they call Operation Glasgow Kiss borrowed most of its language from Roosh’s plan, announced several days ago, to dox journalists who’ve written about him in ways he doesn’t like.

Also, Roosh’s mom — no, not really Roosh’s mom — now has a Twitter account.

Have I missed anything? I’m pretty sure I have.

What do I make of all this? I’m frankly torn.

I’m certainly heartened to see so many publicly rebuking Roosh’s truly abhorrent ideas. Even if Roosh’s call to end rape by making it legal were absolute, 100% satire, he’s written literally hundreds of other things just as bad, if not worse, a point I made in my International Business Times piece yesterday. (For many more examples, take a stroll through my posts on him in the We Hunted the Mammoth archives, or read through the posts I highlighted here.)

It is also a little hard for me to feel much sympathy for Roosh on the doxxing question, given that he and his followers are simply having done to them what he has already done — or tried to do — to those he considers his enemies, including, well, me.

Does anyone remember the time he launched a campaign to “destroy” (his word) the life and reputation of a female journalist by falsely accusing her of (anti-white) racism?

“How far lost is Western society,” Roosh asked on Twitter, “if fat, ugly Indian [name and gendered slur redacted] has a platform to denounce a productive, intelligent white man?”

In a followup post, he explained that

Unless she’s applying for a position at Jezebel, no respectable company will touch a toxic individual who has been linked to racism.  …

It’s a slow-burn attack that will effectively punish these writers and scare their co-workers , whose income is low enough that they need to depend on corporate employment indefinitely … It won’t work on the big liberal writers like Jessica Valenti or Naomi Wolf, since any attention they get just helps them sell more books, but it does work on the young girl out of college trying to win feminist brownie points by denouncing a man for being “creepy” based on a bad joke.

And then he compared it with something he seems to have a certain amount of experience with:

Having your name destroyed on Google is the internet version of getting raped.

That’s right. He was comparing the smear campaign he was launching to rape — in what he saw as a good way.

I discuss some of Roosh’s other harassment campaigns, (as well as a violent and creepy revenge fantasy he posted on his blog) here and here.

So, yeah, Roosh isn’t having anything done to him that he and his followers haven’t done to others, with the exception of having actual MPs make unflattering insinuations about his penis in the House of Commons. Then again, if some MP were to call the target of one of his harassment campaigns a “fat ugly” c-word, I’m sure he’d be cackling with glee.

But at the same time, the public shaming of Roosh makes me deeply uneasy.

The Daily Mail literally staked out his mom’s house in order to get photos of him answering the door. He’s been doxxed; no doubt some of his followers will be as well. And I also have little doubt that Roosh is indeed getting the threats he says he’s getting. The answer to Roosh’s internet bullying isn’t to bully him back.

While some of the ironies of the current situation are admittedly a bit delicious — the man who preens on Instagram holding wads of cash turns out to be literally living in his mom’s basement — let’s not lose sight of the real issues here. There’s nothing inherently shameful about living in mom’s basement, or having a small … following. Indeed, jokes about Roosh’s penis rather trivialize the issues at stake here.

We should be exposing Roosh’s noxious ideas and behavior, not his mom’s address.

The real issues here are, I think, fourfold:

Roosh is teaching an abhorrent, woman-hating philosophy that encourages men to bulldoze past a woman’s no’s in order to, as Roosh puts it, “get their nut.”

Roosh is preaching bigotry — against women, against people of color, against LGBT folk, even against that familiar scapegoat, the Jews. Already a conduit for many of the noxious ideas of the “alt right,” Roosh seems well on his way to becoming a literal Nazi.

Roosh is a bully, using his followers as his own personal army in an attempt to “destroy” individuals he doesn’t like, most of them women. He was a supporter and enabler of the roving internet harassment squad known as GamerGate

Roosh’s own writings strongly suggest that he may be a serial rapist.

It’s that last one that troubles me the most, as it probably does most of you. If it’s true, I hope that the police return to his door, not because of threats he’s been getting online, but to arrest him. Will the current media firestorm over Roosh encourage women to come forward with specific charges against him? We will see.

Curry
Curry

You know that things are bad for a conservative nut job when the Daily Fail won’t protect them.

Aurelie Nix

It’s so interesting that he complains about being doxxed when he doxxed me just recently over the summer. Ah.

– Aurelie Nix

CDBurn
CDBurn

Yeah…I’ll admit, I’m all for bashing Roosh, and the fact that he literally lives in a basement is a near-perfect storm of cliche (only funny for just how much of a dumb stereotype it is), it’s getting close to becoming wanton cruelty.

Bodycrimes
Bodycrimes

As much as I enjoyed the Daily Mail article, I wonder about the ‘he lives in the basement’ line. How would the Daily Mail know which bit of the house he’s living in/staying in?

Roosh is repellent and, according to his own writings, he’s living a half life full of loneliness and regret. There’s nothing about that story that needs to be embellished.

Bluecollarnerd
Bluecollarnerd

He looks amazingly like a younger Paul Elam in the Daily Mail pic.

Bodycrimes
Bodycrimes

Oh, and it’s also fun to see how fast AVoiceForMen has moved to distance themselves from Roosh! The circular firing squad is forming!

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

I’m not comfortable with doxxing Roosh’s address, if for no other reason that it’s where his mother lives. She already has to deal with her son being a notorious rape advocate; let her live her life.

I’m a little more comfortable with his public humiliation, but that’s more of a demonstration of “what goes around, comes around.”

I’d like to see him prosecuted and convicted of whatever crimes he’s committed, of course, but what I’d really like is for him to wake up and realize that he’s done things that exclude him from the status of decent human being. I don’t know that he’s able to do that. I don’t even think he’ll recognize that he’s been getting a taste of his own medicine regarding the humiliation and doxxing. I don’t know that he has enough awareness to see the similarities between what he’s done to other people and what other people are now doing to him. He’s been shown to have difficulty grasping that not all men will ignore a woman’s refusal of sex.

In short, I think he’s more likely to see himself as persecuted than he is to see himself as wrong.

Octo
Octo

The only problem I see is that his mother is dragged into all this. She shouldn’t be stalked by the Yellow Press. As for Roosh himself, no sympathy whatsoever.

noor
noor

nice

dhag85
dhag85

If I were Roosh, I’d move into a closet upstairs so I could at least say I do NOT live in my mother’s basement.

Nick
Nick

Public shaming absolutely is appropriate, and frankly if he cares about his mother he should get the hell out of her house because hes done a very good job of making a supremely tempting target of himself. Its regrettable his mother is going to go through a lot of grief, but there’s no way this ends that that doesn’t happen (either through her son exposing her to constant harrassment, or her son being carted off to jail). Which is something he should have thought of sooner.

Alan Robertshaw

I’d say “No, my mother lives in my attic”

AlanSmithee
AlanSmithee

Loudmouth dumbass manbabies like Roosh deserve everything they get. Like I tell people who complain about being filmed in public – “If you don’t want to be on the Jumbotron, don’t go to the damn ballpark.”

testicular manslaughter
testicular manslaughter

You know, I was thinking earlier today, when I first heard that Roosh had been photographed living in his mother’s basement, that doxxing is wrong, and penis-shaming is wrong. But I’ve had to put up with people just like Roosh, on Twitter, on Reddit, on Tumblr, on Facebook, at the office, on public transportation, at the coffee shop, etc. all day, every day for years. I hear every day about how I am inherently inferior to them because of my gender, and how their only wish is to violently use me and throw me away. I decided that savoring just one day of the world working against these motherfuckers would be necessary self-care.

Also, I disagree that Roosh being a serial rapist is the most troubling aspect about Roosh. Yes, that’s disgusting, but he is only one man. His writings have poisoned thousands of men into thinking the same way he does. It’s his following that’s the most troubling to me.

Dreadnought
Dreadnought

It feels like I’m watching two giant monsters made of poo battling each other for the kingship of Asshole-land. It’s revolting, yet strangely entertaining.

Alan Robertshaw

@ Octo

The Yellow Press

Hi, you in the media game yourself? I just ask because that’s the only circles I hear that term.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

On the one hand, I know this is a classic case of “Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them,” but on the other hand, making dick size jokes at his expense in friggin’ parliament is just enforcing the culture of toxic masculinity that created him.

Ktoryx
Ktoryx

This is weirdly comforting. Maybe he really did make up everything – including the self-described rapes. He’s so broke he has to live with his mother, yet he’s flying all over the world on these creepy trips? It seems evident that he made up a lot of the crap he told his little minions, wouldn’t it be great if it were all made up and Roosh could just fade away…

Supermeerkat
Supermeerkat

I’m having a classic case of schadenfreude concerning this sorry affair. I also am getting the feeling this is the beginning of the MRA implosion, and it’s going to be glorious….

Bina

Roosh’s own writings strongly suggest that he may be a serial rapist.

It’s that last one that troubles me the most, as it probably does most of you. If it’s true, I hope that the police return to his door, not because of threats he’s been getting online, but to arrest him. Will the current media firestorm over Roosh encourage women to come forward with specific charges against him? We will see.

I do hope he’s arrested. He’s a confessed serial rapist and doesn’t deserve to be protected from the consequences of his own actions (which is just what his “legalize rape” not-satire was really all about, anyhow). The idea of the police showing up to protect him from people who most likely won’t follow through on any threats they have made is frankly galling. He gets no sympathy from me, no matter how embarrassed and upset he is right now. Exactly how does he think women feel when they’re being stalked by the likes of him? I can guarandamntee you it’s worse. Because no one is threatening to rape him, are they?

I’m also a firm believer in turnabout as fair play, and in karma, so…Internet, do your stuff. I’ll just be over here making popcorn if anyone needs me.

Oh, and this song so applies:

Ellesar
Ellesar

What is interesting is that Roosh got no doxxing or offline harassment until the mainstream got hold of what he is doing. I am sure he blames this all on feminists, but I don’t think the Daily Fail and the BBC and all the US media that have given him publicity have ever supported feminism or feminists.

dlouwe
dlouwe

I don’t believe in “an eye for an eye” justice; if I condemn Roosh for certain actions, I don’t suddenly think they’re okay when they happen to him. He does post under his real name, though, so it’s tough to really consider it “doxxing” to figure out his address. I do hope (perhaps naively) that this doesn’t cause undue trouble for his mom, or any sort of violence against anyone.

I am, however, all for public shaming and ostracization. If he’s never again able to have a peaceful moment in public because everyone now knows what he looks like and what he thinks, I’m not going to lose any sleep over it.

Also, fingers crossed that all of this attention will burn away a bit of his following. The picture being painted by the media isn’t particularly flattering, and perhaps “casual” fans might think twice about potentially being associated with him.

ETA: I absolutely do not judge anyone who *does* feel he deserves “what’s coming to him” – my opinion comes from a very privileged place, and I full well understand how others would feel differently.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Nah. It’s the end of Roosh’s cult, but Elam and Reddit won’t be affected. MRAs are good at circling the wagons.

Alex
Alex

you missed the best part of the Metro Article! They had a poll asking whether readers thought Roosh should be banned from the UK and the provided two answers:

and

HELL YES

Amused

The fact that Roosh lives in his mother’s house is a testament to a mother’s infinite capacity to love her child no matter what. No matter what.

On a different note, looking at Daily Mail’s pix, I don’t see a dark BMW sedan parked anywhere near that house.

Alan Robertshaw

I’ve just been reminded of something. Any Brit Mammotheers of a certain age remember “Dear John”?

I’m thinking of the episode where Ur-PUA Kurt (albeit much nicer than Roosh) was finally revealed to not live in a swish penthouse apartment but rather at home with his mum. Even the clothing is the same.

AsAboveSoBelow
AsAboveSoBelow

I hope his mom is safe. People need to leave her alone. I wonder if his followers can now see that their emperor has no clothes.

Knowing what we now know about his lifestyle, I wouldn’t be surprised if his books are mostly made up, à la “Dennis Reynolds: An Erotic Life.”comment image?quality=80&w=650

I don’t believe in “an eye for an eye” justice; if we condemn Roosh for certain actions, it’s not suddenly okay when they happen to him.

This. I take the hard line: If actions are unacceptable, they’re unacceptable no matter who the target is. The logic that it’s OK if the target is sufficiently terrible is the exact same logic that, for instance, Dawkins used.

xthetenth
xthetenth

I’d like to think we’re better than him in deed as well as cause. Doxxing isn’t cool. Public ridicule of his ideas is brilliant and great, and making it absolutely clear that they’re incompatible with civilized society and why is a valuable public service, but doxxing (especially his mom) is flat out not cool and the tactic of people who rightly get reviled for it.

Ktoryx
Ktoryx

I wonder if this is the real reason Roosh called off the meetings. He’s been the centre of controversy before, he loves it. In fact, I would say it is literally why he does these things, he needs the attention to fuel his little ego. But if someone got ahold of his dox, that might actually give him pause.

I’m not condoning doxxing, obviously, even if it is a little hard for me to feel bad for Roosh V. Doxxing is a pandora’s box that many of us wish had never been opened.

Dark Statistic
Dark Statistic

It’s so freaking hard to be the bigger person sometimes…

Auntie Alias
Auntie Alias

Roosh is holding a press conference (!!) tomorrow at 7:00 p.m. in DC.

Unless he announces he’s quitting the internet and getting a real job, who gives a fuck? I fully expect he’ll go all-out professional victim and I guarantee the word ‘satire’ will be mentioned.

I love the fact that big alpha he-man is living with his mom! He’s not in Poland but in Maryland which begs the question: how much more of his schtick is BS? Even before this happened I was puzzled by his on-air persona. He’s so wooden and unsure of himself. He has trouble looking people in the eye. It sure doesn’t fit the confident alpha personality he claims to snag women with. I guess it works as far as his followers are concerned. They must look at him and think, “If he can bag all these girls, I can, too.”

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

It would be nice to learn that all the women he describes in his Bang! books are simply products of his twisted imagination.

theluckyfrog
theluckyfrog

SFHC is right. I’m not against the occasional petty insult– they can be cathartic and tbh they’re just funny. But this sort of response to Roosh is not good, and I can’t think of a helpful way to elaborate so I’ll just repeat that SFHC is right.

Arcadia Blue

He looks even older than he is. It’s actually sad to see guys like this trying to pick up girls in a 20 something bar.

BoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoink
BoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoink

Here’s my opinion: That this kind of backlash is necessary. Roosh has been operating more or less under the radar without any real mainstream attention (although he still received virulent opposition from the people who DID know about him).

People like him and the robots on 4Chan and the hateful, racist/sexist people on Reddit and whatnot only get as far as do they because they are in online communities that most people aren’t familiar with (I have friends who have never even heard of Reddit, let alone POL or TRP), and so they more or less exist without any real opposition, except from a few dedicated people/groups like this blog and SRS. On one Facebook thread discussing Roosh, a lady actually said “I had no idea people like this even existed.”

They NEED to be mocked and publicly panned, because otherwise they will continue to keep doing what they are doing- steadily growing into an online community that starts to spill over into actual, damaging real world consequences.

davidknewton

Making someone’s address public with the intention of getting people to harass them is always wrong. And I hope that this episode helps him to realize that himself (what are the chances?)

For the other stuff, he wanted attention, and he’s got it – I’m impressed with just how high awareness of him is now – I hadn’t known of any of this underground manosphere awfulness before I started visiting this site, but now everyone (including the horrific Daily Mail!!) is reacting with the revulsion to him that he deserves.

snork maiden

Yeah, I’m inclined to agree that dick jokes don’t belong in the House of Commons, even if it was funny to hear Roosh being ridiculed within such an institution. And doxxing his mother’s address is not cool.

But what I’m seeing unfold is Roosh creating a monster, made up his shameless attention seeking through trolling, and now that monster is chasing him around and kicking his arse.

weirdowheee!
weirdowheee!

@Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Re penis jokes in Parliament, that was my thought too. On the one hand, I do understand the temptation to mock Roosh in a way he will find humiliating (oh boy do I understand it!), but on the other hand it is hugely inappropriate. In the first place it plays into gender stereotyping which I disagree with on principle, but secondly and more importantly, it’s sending entirely the wrong message, specifically to Roosh’s (current or future) followers. I’m thinking in particular of the younger ones, the ones who are really just socially awkward, cripplingly insecure teens, who still have the potential to become decent, happy, non-raping members of society. What message does two adult women, with the power of a political institution visibly all around them, mocking a man for the size of his penis send to them?

newbie
newbie

100% agree.

Also on the other benefit of their exposure, that of informing the public of their existence. Those familiar with the manosphere know what it is about, but most people have no idea it even exists; and now learning about Roosh, they are justifiably appalled and somewhat clued in about the nature of this hate movement, such as it is.

Reading the comments on MSM sites shows just how shocking this discovery is to most, if not all.

Kootiepatra

I agree with those above: It is absolutely high time that Roosh has to face some consequences (in terms of public scorn and/or legal action) for the awful things he’s said and done. But doxxing and threats are never cool, no matter who the target is.

Nathan Hevenstone

I am so, so torn on this it’s ridiculous.

On the one hand, all “an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth” leads to is everybody being eyeless and toothless. I’m worried about Roosh’s mom, regardless of her personal opinions on this, because Roosh is his own man, and she does not deserve the attention on her because of him. Doxxing is, in my opinion, generally wrong.

On the other hand, I have trouble not feeling like Roosh (not his mother, mind you, but him specifically) deserves this. He is definitely a monster of a human being. He is cruel and cowardly, attacking women (and some men) in the worst possible ways, doxxing them and inciting his unruly mob against them. He is likely a serial rapist (assuming his accounts are true, which I do hope against).

In short, there’s basically nothing redeeming about him, and I actually think he needs to be stopped.

So I’m torn between not liking doxxing and bullying and being against them as an ethical rule, and feeling an overwhelming sense of glorious schadenfreude for what he’s getting and feeling like he deserves it.

BoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoink
BoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoink

But doxxing and threats are never cool, no matter who the target is.

Yes sorry, I should have added a bit about doxxing. THAT is never justified. I’m 100% against doxxing, it’s too close to the internet of equivalent of a mob with torches and pitchforks, coming to burn the witch…let alone the violation of privacy/personal safety.

But I’m all for the mockery. From what I know about hate groups, they love it when you get angry and upset, and HATE it when you mock them or make jokes at their expense. It basically deflates them of the power they want over you.

zoon echon logon
zoon echon logon

This… I don’t know exactly how to express it. The media backlash against Roosh just feels like that against Martin Shkreli, that safari dentist, or any of the many other villains-of-the-hour we’ve seen lately. It seems like viral-outrage as an entertainment product, rather than anything productive or the beginning of a dialogue.

Zyvlyn
Zyvlyn

Oh, man. It HAD to be Silver Spring, didn’t it. I work there. Now I’ll have to wonder if this asshole is around the corner every time I start my day.

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden

Wonder how he felt that one of the police officers who came to his house (to respond to his claim of death threats) was a Black female. I can imagine he hated that given his sexism and racism.

Not particularly feeling sorry for him although I hope no one actually tries to physically assault him. It appears that he is simply reaping what he has sown. Perhaps this experience will lead him to temper his own threats against feminists.

David N-T
David N-T

@Alan

I’d say “No, my mother lives in my attic”

That’d makes you sound like Norman Bates.

Dan Kasteray
Dan Kasteray

I feel for roosh’s mom. It must suck to be saddled with a monster like her son.

Beyond that, fuck roosh so hard. Maybe I wouldn’t support his doxxing if authorities actually took the doxxing of others seriously.

So unless police are willing to deal with the doxxers of the likes of Zoe Quinn and a thousand other women online, doxx the shit out of roosh and his following

newbie
newbie

Here is an interesting piece by a Canadian journalist, Emma Teitel:

A few years ago, while covering the burgeoning men’s rights movement, I attended a lecture at the University of Toronto by Janice Fiamengo, a Canadian academic and self-avowed “anti-feminist” who believes women’s studies programs erode free speech.

The event was attended, not surprisingly, by men’s rights activists who were spellbound by Fiamengo’s gospel of unrepentant political incorrectness. But most noticeably, they seemed spellbound by Fiamengo herself.

Here was a real live woman who didn’t ridicule them or write them off as quacks; a real live woman who (to borrow a line from Bridget Jones’ Diary) appeared to love them “just as they were.”

Yes, it’s likely that a lot of these guys were sexist or paranoid; socially awkward, serially jilted, libertarians or disgruntled divorced dads peeved at what they believed was a rigged family court system. But I got the distinct impression that they would happily eject their creepy worldview if a woman actually gave them the time of day. In other words, their loneliness was way more palpable than their anger.
They weren’t monsters, they were just jerks.

This is not the impression I get from Roosh V, a.k.a. Daryush Valizadeh, the “neo-masculinist” American pickup artist, whose misogynistic ideology borrows more from the Middle Ages than Tucker Max; a man who says he won’t even speak to female reporters because he doesn’t respect their work. (Needless to say, he did not respond to my request for comment.)

More, including her thoughts on the “ethics of Rooshgate:”

dhag85
dhag85

Juicebro is trying to make this even worse.

Come to Los Angeles. I got room for you, weather is great, and we got guns. https://t.co/thCSHkigbm— Mike Cernovich (@Cernovich) 5 februari 2016

1 2 3 4