off topic open thread

Catch Your Man With Donuts: A Roosh-Free Open Thread

There's a BOFA joke here somewhere.
There’s a BOFA joke here somewhere.

It’s quittin’ time here at We Hunted the Mammoth. So let’s start off the weekend with a Roosh-Free open thread. Feel free to talk about anything and everything that is not Roosh. Like, for example, that weird old ad above. No trolls, no MRAs allowed.

@Scildfreja

Thank you! 🙂

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

This morning I bought donuts, and now I’m sitting across the dining room table from a wonderful man. LEAP-YEAR DONUTS WORK. And since I’ve been married to this wonderful man for nearly 20 years now, obviously LEAP-YEAR DONUTS CAN BEND THE SPACE-TIME CONTINUUM and arrange for happy marriages before those donuts are bought!

FEAR THE POWER OF THE DONUT.

I may or may not be on a bit of a sugar high here.

Valentine
Valentine

@scildfreja my friend lives in the Uk with her boyfriend so she is getting her treatment on the nhs and with help from a charity called Christies. I guess that is also similar to the system in Canada. Good, government healthcare is a blessing. Best wishes for your dad also. I’m glad to hear they caught it early. Also thank you @EJ

Ellesar
Ellesar

Scildfreja – I had NHS treatment for cancer, 4 years ago. It was SO GOOD. Everything was done right, and as you can tell it was successful!

One thing that I became aware of was that the NHS puts a lot of resources into the life saving stuff. Sometimes that means that non life saving stuff is neglected. This is of course ammo for the pro private pro insurance system. Private systems can be very good at providing private rooms, better food, cosmetic surgery etc etc, but sometimes they do not have the equipment necessary for the life saving stuff.

I really hate it when people trash the NHS, or ‘socialised’ healthcare generally.

kupo
kupo

I have an American friend who is convinced that the Canadian health care system is terrible. He can go walk on legos 😉

I have a Canadian-American friend who thinks the same. When I asked her why she said you have to schedule surgeries weeks in advance. I explained it’s the same here unless it’s a critical situation, plus you get to pay $10,000 per day you spend in a hospital room, but she didn’t want to hear it.

Ellesar
Ellesar

Just found this:

A British fashion label has made the decision after some women turned up so hungry they were “delirious”.
The founder of Rose & Willard says she made the decision after seeing how much pressure models are under to lose weight.
“They’ll say that they’ve had a huge breakfast, they’re stuffed, they’re not hungry, and you know they’re hungry,” Heidy Rehman tells Newsbeat.
“We had one model at our last casting who was actually delirious by mid-afternoon”
“She wasn’t making sense.”
Heidy says shoots can last 10 hours and some models she’s worked with won’t eat during that time.
Included in the new contracts, models will be required to share a meal during photo shoots.
It’s concerning when you hear a young woman who is starving herself because she’s under this pressure.

But Heidy says she won’t tell models how much, or what, to eat.

I am sure doughnuts would be acceptable!

weirwoodtreehugger

If you can prioritise and delegate tasks effectively, can resolve customer issues, can stay sharp for scammers and can motivate people to do things they don’t want to do, then you’re basically a shoe-in for any supervisory position that I’ve ever come across.

Really? I guess the US is very different. Around here shoe-in for supervisory positions means ability to suck up to the bosses and tendency to pretend everything is all hunky dory all the time. In other words, it means people the bosses like are promoted with little regard to whether they’ll be organized and good at problem solving or able to work well with the people under them.

Imaginary Petal (formerly dhag85, trying out pronouns - they/their)

In my admittedly limited experience, this is absolutely correct.

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

Also my experience. That’s where the saying that someone is “promoted to incompetence” comes from. At least, that’s a saying here! Good workers are given promotions because they suck up to the boss, and are utterly incompetent at their new position but stay in it because of that reason.

Imaginary Petal (formerly dhag85, trying out pronouns - they/their)

I have arthritis and need to go to the hospital once every two months for IV treatment in order to function. Sometimes I need cortison injections in my achilles heels or fingers in order to manage swelling. In addition, I see my doctor once every few months for regular check ups. I also need to have my blood work done regularly in order to keep track of my liver and vitamin levels. Currently I’m also in therapy, trying to figure out if I have ADHD, Tourette’s syndrome, depression, etc.

My IV treatments are scheduled every two months and if I need to reschedule I can just call the hospital and do so. When I need a cortison injection I don’t need to schedule an appointment – I can just drop in and get one during their regular hours, any day of the week. The blood work is also done without an appointment, but sometimes I have to wait an hour or so since I live in an overpopulated area. Therapy is currently scheduled weekly, and it took less than one week between when I applied for mental care and my first appointment with a therapist.

This all can cost me a maximum of 1100 SEK/year, which translates to roughly $130. Every time I go in for any form of treatment or appointment, I pay 50, 100 or 300 depending on what I’m doing that day, and I get a stamp reflecting the amount of money I paid and the current date. When it’s added up to 1100 in total, I don’t pay any more money for the rest of the year, until exactly one year after my first stamp. Once the year is up, my free pass is torn up and I start over.

I can’t tell you how fucking relieved I am that I live in this country, considering all the various treatments that are absolutely necessary for me to function. There are many things that disgust me about this country, but let’s just say health care isn’t one of them.

msexceptiontotherule
msexceptiontotherule

@Chiomara

If you like I have a wonderful pecan pie recipe – it’s mostly pecans with the filling just holding them together or it would be pecans in a pie crust that scatter and crumble when you cut into it. It’s also super easy, otherwise it wouldn’t have been a family recipe as long as it has. 😉

I’m still playing with the bake time required to convert the recipe quantity from 2 8-10″ pies into tart-sized though.

@Msexception

I would love the recipe! Even though, I don’t think I will be able to cook it for years. At least not in my country. Pecan nuts here are 80 reais per kg. That’s about 20 dollars. I don’t know if it sounds like much for Americans, but for me, I can buy two good pairs of shoes with that. I am not rich, so that just sounds like eating solid gold.

But in the best 4 days of my life, when I was in Paris, I ate them twice, and I am convinced that it’s my favorite food in the world. So give me your recipe and when I am in Europe again (I don’t know how, but I WILL BE) I will probably try to make some ^^

Chiomara

Seriously, folks, mail me pecan pies and I will love you forever. I’m not even kidding.

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

@Chiomara

Mailing address? :3

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

What’s the law in Argentina about sending food in the post?

msexceptiontotherule
msexceptiontotherule

@Chiomara
Sounds like what you need is someone to send you a heap of pecans…well if you can get the rest of the ingredients. I’m trying to imagine shipping pecan pies but if it’s anything like the way packages are treated even when they’re being shipped from one end of California to the other and have a big label that says “FRAGILE” or “DO NOT BEND”, when it arrives it will….look like it was stomped on and then used as a substitute ball for some sports game, or….be bent in half or in thirds. When the United States Postal Service is the delivery method it will usually take a multi-state tour around the country even if it’s being shipped from one end of California to the other – and you will think the rate you’ve been charged should be enough to send it on a world tour with a stop in every country. Fedex and UPS are marginally better but they also charge an arm and a leg, then make you arrange to pick up at one of their locations after ‘attempting’ delivery but that only means they drove by, stopped a minute and then decided that they didn’t want to go to the trouble of getting out and walking through a gate to get to your door. Who do I have to kill to get decent shipping service!?

I’m going to share the recipe here so anyone and everyone can try it out if they wish. 🙂

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Ingredients:
2 10″ pie shells (unbaked)
1 lb light brown sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
6 large eggs (may use only 4 as desired)
1 cup melted butter or margarine
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups pecan halves

Combine all ingredients in order given except for pecans. Blend thoroughly and then fold pecans into the blended mixture. Pour into pie shells and bake at 350 degrees F approximately 45 to 50 minutes using a cookie sheet under the pies to catch possible overflow in the oven.

Dalillama
Dalillama

@Chiomara

I would, but after international shipping, the cost would end up the same.

sunnysombrera
sunnysombrera

Ugh. UPS handled my passport after I’d sent it to the US Embassy for a visa. Their version of “attempting delivery” was to knock on the door, count to five then leave. Twice this happened before I was able to get it from their courier, only by being careful not to be further than fifteen feet from the front door for the whole time of the delivery slot.

Chiomara

@Scildfreja and Dalillama D’aaaawww, that’s too lovely, dears! I was just kidding, I didn’t imagine anyone would ever consider doing this. Thank you plenty, that’s ALMOST better than actual pecans :3

@EJ I don’t know. I am Brazilian. And I once received chocolate from Germany without problems ^^ I think it’s only a problem if it’s in great quantity.

@Msexception I will actually go and research about the costs. Who knows one of my international acquaintances live in a place where it’s cheap enough to be worthwhile. And this recipe sounds DELICIOUS.

Does anyone have a recipe for home made feta cheese? It’s another thing I tasted in Europe and loved but can’t find here for less than a billion dollars.

kupo
kupo

@Chiomara
Have you made cheese before? It’s not exactly simple and it requires special equipment and ingredients, but I enjoy it. I haven’t made feta, but my go-to website for cheese-making recipes has one: https://www.cheesemaking.com/Feta.html

You can order supplies there, too, and it looks like they do international shipping.

Oh please let this turn into a pie recipe thread.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

I’m sorry Chiomara, I’m very embarrassed now. I shouldn’t get people’s countries mixed up, especially for other people from the Correct Hemisphere.

@Kupo
I am the Queen of DIY. I home make everything that is too expensive to buy, from dresses to Nutella. I have made cream cheese, but that’s all. I will look at that site, thank you! Hope I can find the ingredients here ^^

@EJ absolutely no offense taken! South America has so many countries and even I don’t know the name of the money of all of them. And I have absolutely no idea of where you come from (my memory is so terrible, sorry), so, really, no reason to say sorry at all :3
Ah, the coin of Argentina are Pesos Argentinos, as far as I know, for future reference ^^

Imaginary Petal (formerly dhag85, trying out pronouns - they/their)

I am way drunk off margaritas made with golden tequila + mezcal. What’s this stuff about pecan pie and how can I get in on it?

weirwoodtreehugger

Key lime pie > pecan pie

PIE WARS

kupo
kupo

@WWTH
Blasphemy! Besides, the best pie is apple.

Team Lemon Meringue will be over here.

Chiomara

There’s some tension in the air…
I foresee the feminist pie wars beginning soon. How are we going to fight? Making delicious pies for David to judge the best one? Or are we just going to throw delicious pies at each other?

*Rubbing flour on my hands to begin belic production*

Team Blueberry

Paradoxical Intention

Dreadnought February 5, 2016 at 9:24 pm
@Jarnsaxa

I think the point is to have an assortment of beer, beef jerky, and other manly food on the trolly which you then use to lure in men. You know what they say: the quickest way to a man’s heart is through his stomach. Har har har…

I always thought it was through the fourth and fifth rib.

Or, as the orcs say: “The quickest way to a man’s heart is with a battleaxe/warhammer/other heavy weapon.”

Imaginary Petal (formerly dhag85, trying out pronouns – they/their) | February 6, 2016 at 4:33 pm
Team Blueberry

I can’t be on Team Blueberry. I’m allergic. : P

weirwoodtreehugger

I like all of the above except apricot, but only because I’ve never tried it. I’m still firmly on team key lime.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

I am rubbish at making pies, but really quite good at eating them.

If anyone should happen to want any confirmatory testing done, I selflessly volunteer – no no, I insist, it’s really no trouble at all, no trouble, purely in the interests of international cooperation, of course.
(I could maybe try and do a bit of lemon and rosemary polenta cake, though, to mop up any pockets of resistance?).

Dreadnought
Dreadnought

@Paradoxical

Ribs definitely will lead you to a man’s heart, preferably barbecued and smothered in sauce.

Nequam
Nequam

@Paradox: I think the Aztecs favored up under the sternum, starting at the solar plexus and cutting through the diaphragm.

As for pies, my tastes are simple: I really like a good apple pie. Sometimes with cheddar.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

@Chiomara:
I’m South African but I live in Britain.

Also, the best pie ever is apple and blackberry. This is not up for discussion, especially when there’s cinnamon in it.

sunnysombrera
sunnysombrera

I may be British but I adore pumpkin pie. Sooooo goooood. Since there is no Thanksgiving here me and my family eat it at Christmas instead.

Kreator
Kreator

@EJ:

I know it’s not necessary any more, but just for the record, in Argentina you can send and receive food as long as it’s hermetically sealed and non-artisanal, otherwise you need special permissions from the government due to the public health concerns involved. For that same reason, fresh produce is also a no-no.

Bina

Presumably, when it comes to catching men, Canadian Mammotheers take their advice from the RCMP.

Nah, we take it from Tim Horton’s. We bait our cage traps with this:

msexceptiontotherule
msexceptiontotherule

I don’t like getting my hands dirty to get to just *any* man’s heart…they must be a man who is a great warrior but cannot have pledged his love and devotion exclusively to another for me to bother with the whole ritual and everything….*sigh*….and a great warrior of the male gender is surprisingly hard to find once all of that is factored in. The ritual goes wonky if it’s just a jackhole who tried to ditch his wedding ring and attempted to hide photos of his wife and kids but not the baby seat in the car.

But about pies…

I like my pecan but my favorite recipe is the chocolate candy pie with graham cracker crust. I have a good recipe for tart/sour apple pie as well.

Chiomara

Oh, god, did this actually happen to you?

And give us the apple pie recipe!

msexceptiontotherule
msexceptiontotherule

@Chiomara

It really is good, I’ll let you know if I find somewhere that will ship pecans to Brazil for a reasonable price too. 🙂

No, didn’t happen to me, but a friend of mine who likes discreet no strings attached with men was really weirded out when he got in the car and saw the seat and the dude’s wedding ring fell out of his pocket.

@sunnysombrera

I hate having to sit and wait on a delivery like that, it’s uncanny how they can sense when you finally can’t hold it in anymore and have to run to the bathroom to pee, never fails to be the exact time they arrive and get especially impatient while you’re yelling “Please don’t leave I’ll be right there!!!” from the ‘loo.

msexceptiontotherule
msexceptiontotherule

crap ran out of editing time. I’ll have to post the apple pie recipe later when I get back from the grocery store. I’ve got to come up with more than potatoes for making dinner – the s/o likes potatoes but he’s going to be hungry when he gets in and just that won’t cut it. 😛

kupo
kupo

I just found out one of my favorite authors was left off the NY Times bestseller list. She’s independently published, so that’s part of it, but knowing how the sci-fi genre is such a boys club I have to wonder if her being a woman has anything to do with it. Regardless, she’s decided not to be quiet about it, so I have to admire her ladyballs. 🙂

Here’s her post about it, if anyone is interested.

@Msexception
And did she carry on?

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

Thanks, Kreator.

Paradoxical Intention

Bina | February 6, 2016 at 6:07 pm
Nah, we take it from Tim Horton’s. We bait our cage traps with this:

To be fair, that’d catch me too out of sheer curiosity. We don’t have Tim Horton’s in the States, and I’ve heard nothing but good things from the Moose People of Canada about it.

So, it’d catch us fluxy, nonbinary, Non-Canadian folk too!

Valentine
Valentine

I’ll have to give my vote for the key lime pie. Cheese cake is the best!