8chan anti-Semitism cuckolding cultural marxism gullibility homophobia none dare call it conspiracy racism rationalization hamster reactionary bullshit red pill return of kings

Neo-Nazis and Other Trump Fans Accuse Microsoft of Rigging the Iowa Caucuses

Donald Trump: Yuge loser?
Donald Trump: Yuge loser?

Donald Trump’s supporters, like the man himself, are not what you’d call gracious losers, so it comes as no surprise that they’re taking The Donald’s second-place finish in Iowa hard. And given Trump’s own forays into conspiracy theory (all that birther stuff), it’s also not exactly a shock to see his fans claiming that the Iowa caucuses were rigged.

What is a little surprising is who they’ve picked as the supervillain in the alleged plot against Trump. Not the winner of the Iowa caucuses, Ted Cruz, but Marco Rubio — the guy who came in third, after Trump. With a little help from the dastardly computer whizzes at Microsoft.

Their peculiar theory, first spread on 8chan and then picked up by such highly reputable publications as Breitbart and Infowars and Return of Kings, is that Microsoft, which provided free software used to count the votes in the caucuses, rigged the vote to make sure that Trump came in second and that Rubio won.

Oh, sorry, I forgot. Rubio didn’t win. He came in third place. After Trump.

But hey, the conspiracy theorists claim, he got more votes than people thought he would! And Trump didn’t win. Therefore skullduggery.

The “proof?” First, Trump lost, which his fans can’t imagine could have happened without vote rigging behind the scenes. Second, Microsoft was the second biggest donor in Rubio’s last Senate campaign. CHECKMATE.

But as Philip Bump of the Washington Post points out, Microsoft is only “sort of Rubio’s second-biggest donor.” The $33,000 that the Center for Responsive Politics reported as coming from Microsoft did not all or even mostly come from the company itself. As Bump explains, “most of that money came from various people working at Microsoft.”

Naturally, Trump’s fans — including a number of people familiar to readers of this blog — aren’t buying this debunking. On the Twitter hashtag #MicrosoftRubioFraud, the accusations are flying. As is the racism and homophobia.

But a few managed to find a silver lining:

And yes, he did refer to the Iowa caucuses as the Iowa CUCKus.

One Tweeter managed to find some humor in it all:

Clippy is one sneaky bastard, huh?

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ bluecat

Nothing so pleasant unfortunately.

Ohlmann was close. Same initial and you can use some of the letters. Ironically she’d take the b-word as a massive compliment. She genuinely thinks animals are better people than human people and she loves the fur kids.

As to London zoo, it’s entirely a matter for you? They do do some great conservation work. I try never to judge people (myself included) unless there’s a really good reason to. I grew up loving Jonny Morris (and I’m sure the animals loved him). It’s oh so complicated. Wish there was a simple, answer (I think there is with sea world and the like).

You’re a decent person and you know the issues involved. I don’t see the harm in taking the grandsprogs and you can use it as a springboard for talking about animals generally, as someone highlighted above. Be interesting to hear what they think actually, kids often have surprising insight into such matters.

(The Yorkshire part of me is compelled to point out that you can see a bit of the zoo for free from the park!)

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Aww, he looks like Bagpuss.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

This is the single most important post that anyone has ever made.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

I would love a cat sometime. Then I remember I have trouble taking care of plants already.

Moggie
Moggie

Alan:

Aww, he looks like Bagpuss.

It saddens me that many people outside the UK are probably unaware of Oliver Postgate and his work.

dhag85
dhag85

@Alan

Who? :p

@Ohlmann

Cats are MUCH easier. You need to clean their litter boxes, but if you forget they’ll remind you by peeing elsewhere. You need to give them food and water, but if you forget they’ll remind you by meowing in your ear non-stop. You need to cuddle them, play with them and love them, but there’s no way you could ever forget doing any of those things. And that’s all there is to it!

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ moggie

I know, those poor poor people.

You familiar with the theory that Bagpuss is a commentary on 1970s trade unionism? The mice are the workers, Madeline is the bourgeoise middle class, Gabriel is the aspiring self employed, Professor Yaffle is an upper class Marxist intellectual etc.

Personally I subscribe to the theory that Emily was into organised crime. That shop was clearly a front for money laundering.

@ dhag

Oh, you don’t know what you’re missing.

WeirwoodTreeHugger
WeirwoodTreeHugger

I think cats are easier to care for then plants too.

Anyway, even though policy wise, I’m more aligned with Sanders, I kind of hope Clinton wins, just for the male (and feMRA) tears. There will be buckets and buckets of them.

Zyvlyn
Zyvlyn

Looks like the coin-flip conspiracy is being debunked before it had a chance to get going.

Regarding preferences, I’d be happy to vote for either, though I have a slight preference for Clinton. Not due to any one large reason, but because of a bunch of small reasons (experience, age, foreign policy chops, etc.)

Viscaria
Viscaria

Slightly off-topic, but I was watching some of the coverage last night and they interviewed a Trump supporter. He was 19, so it was his first election. He had opted to skip the caucus so that he could get in line to get a good spot for Trump’s speech later that night.

He voluntarily did not vote just so that he could be at the front of the room for the speech.

This is pretty funny, but I’m sad to see that Trump has enough cross-generational appeal to entice a 19 year old into going to see his speeches.

This whole conspiracy theory is yet another reason I’m so glad we don’t use voting machines up here. Pencils are notoriously hard to accuse of being rigged. Why do you folks use the machines? Are there just too many voters in the States for the votes to be counted by hand?

davidknewton

I mentioned Bagpuss to an American once, she thought it was some sort of British dirty word. But I feel sorry for them – if you didn’t grow up with Uncle Feedle, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvLyUMM1waw#t=1m07s , then… you haven’t been traumatized for life.

I believe that America uses the voting machines just because of the prohibitive number of voters to count by hand, especially for elections where you don’t just vote for a candidate but for multiple local questions/propositions at the same time.

I was sort of disappointed that Trump’s speech after not winning was so relatively calm, but it’s nice to know that his followers can provide some bitter raging entertainment in his place.

ColeYote
ColeYote

They think the vote was rigged in favour of the guy who came in third.
Christ, Trump supporters are stupid.

And who the fuck is Gary Forbes?!

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Well, most 4Channers are teenagers, so.

(Unrelated: David, you might want to chill out with the ads, the site’s getting to be unusable without AdBlock. I’m on my phone and the ads on this page are literally longer than the post and comments combined, not to mention the loading lag.)

Moggie
Moggie

Alan:

Interesting. If you want to go down that route, what about Ivor the Engine? I’m sure there was something in there about rail nationalisation, and Idris is a Welsh dragon who sets fire to stuff, an obvious reference to Meibion Glyndŵr terrorism!

Johanna
Johanna

(Context: I’m an expat Brit, 30 years in the USA) My then-boyfriend was deeply befuddled when I tried to explain Bagpuss to him, but he patiently sat through a few episodes on DVD and promptly bought me a plushie Bagpuss as a courting gift – and a plushie Idris the dragon (of Ivor the Engine), too.

No wonder I married him.

Moggie
Moggie

Thinkpad Cat has a look of “you shall not pass”. Nobody is hitting CTRL+ALT+DELETE without a fight.

Dhag, I am so in love with Fingie!

Re zoos: As the city engineer of a small town with a zoo, I got to do a little work on the zoo infrastructure. I remember on my first trip there expressing to the zookeeper that I thought it was sad that the ungulates were kept in a large but obviously not nearly large enough area. ‘They’re supposed to have free open space to run in,’ I said. He asked ‘well why do you think they need it? To get away from things we protect them from here.’

Re ballots: There was an election shortly after I moved to the UK, and even though I wasn’t qualified to vote at the time I went to the polling station just to see a ballot. I couldn’t believe it–it literally was an A5 paper (about half the size of a US letter sheet) with about half a dozen names, parties and logos listed, with a checkbox by each. You just checked the box next to the person you wanted to vote for, then put your ballot into a box…for serious.

My UK friends had a better idea why I was so amazed when I showed them the 80+ page ballot I got for the next California election. There must have been at least 30 different things to actually vote for–some for people, with up to a dozen candidates each, and some for initiatives (where you’d only vote yes or no, but you had to work on translating and understanding the legalese, and some initiatives are deliberately designed to trick you).

Bina

Well, I think this cartoon eloquently summarizes the overblown rhetoric and fawning congratulatory tone of the Trumpies.

Oh myyyy, that was…HIDEOUS. It’s like Milo’s main fanboy really loves him those scary-haired blondish dudes, eh?

I love, too, how the doodler couldn’t tell the blindingly obvious difference between the Dems and the Repukes. Or that the Donald IS a Repuke.

I also sincerely doubt Der Donald be caught dead in a fedora, even a badly drawn one, because it would totally wreck his comb-over. And we all know how he is about his coiffure…

Oh. And Judgy B is busy playing Daesh female enforcer, on Twitter, pushing that women shouldn’t vote.

Well, women like her definitely shouldn’t. They’d only go against their own best interests. So her idea actually has merit, at least as far as her own limited coterie goes. Leave it to those of us who actually UNDERSTAND the issues, Andrea dear.

Jamesworkshop
Jamesworkshop
kupo
kupo

I know, right? “Do you agree that this measure, which was enacted without a vote of the people, shouldn’t not have been upheld?”

Newt
Newt

And yet when we had a chance to switch to a preferential system, we had well-funded ad campaigns going “writing numbers instead of a single cross? that’s far too complicated for you simpletons. Stick with what you know”.

@kupo Where I was the ur-example was the San Francisco rent control bill. A couple of decades ago an initiative was put on the ballot to help protect nonprofits in the city centre that were being priced out of their spaces–I forget the details, and this was pre-popular internet, so I’m not sure I can locate more accurate information online. Anyway, Willie Brown, who was mayor at the time, opposed the measure but instead of straightforwardly objecting to it he put an almost identically worded initiative on the ballot which would undermine the original one. So people were going around saying ‘yes on J and no on K? or was that yes on K and no on J?’

@newt A friend of mine, who has a PhD and is active in the Labour Party, says this is the best explanation she’s ever seen for preferential voting–and that it was what convinced her that it was a good idea:

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

Don’t get me started on voting system. Not only all the current one I know of are pant-on-head retarded, but politics want to worsen them via bad use of technology. During that time, scientists do their jobs and have half a dozen of system who are improvement on various area (like making “punishment voting” not work), and they are ignored.

bluecat
bluecat

Professor Yaffle is supposed to be based on an uncle of Oliver Postgate’s – definitely an upper-class intellectual.

I think it was GDH Cole, but I don’t have Postgate’s memoir to hand.

Young Oliver was once occupied building a dog kennel. Cole – Uncle Douglas – wandered in and was very puzzled. How will the dog know what it’s for, he asked. You won’t be able to explain it to him.

When the kennel was finished, the dog understood immediately what it was for, and was very pleased with it.

davidknewton

My god, Uncle Douglas sounds exactly like him even from that little description – I can picture him hopping down the bookcase, walking over with his head tilted, “Nyef nyef nyef, it looks like a little house, but what is it for? You can’t expect a dog to live in a house. Nyef nyef nyef.”

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ moggie

Wow, yeah, your analysis of Ivor the Engine makes perfect sense!

Who knew that Oliver was subliminally conditioning the minds of a generation?

dhag85
dhag85

@guest

Everybody loves Fingie. :p

My other cat is very beautiful when you meet her in person, but she just can’t look good in pictures. Sadly.

guy
guy

Preferential voting is incredibly straightforward, but the one thing the two major parties reliably agree on is that they don’t want three major parties.

dhag: Your dad’s cat has excellent ear floof.

dhag85
dhag85

@katz

Quite excellent! Sadly I’ve only seen this kitty in person two or three times since I rarely travel to see my parents these days. She looks like a perfect cuddle cat!

Miss Andry

And Trump is blaming Cruz and accusing HIM of fraud. *shrug*

personalpest
personalpest

@sbel

Yeah, you’re right. I should have said “extremists” instead. Sorry.

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

Yes, of course Microsoft hates Trump because they need those cheap Hispanic workers picking Nokia phones in California orchards.

Viscaria
Viscaria

Hoooo-lyyyyy crap. Alright, point taken, voting machines seem like the only option for the US.

Here in Canada, sometimes the municipal elections will have more than one race on the ballot. Where I am it’s usually mayor, alderman and school board rep. But it still fits on a single piece of paper, and most people don’t vote for school board rep anyway. I don’t think we would ever see more than one race on a provincial or federal ballot (though I might be wrong about that.)

Not only all the current one I know of are pant-on-head retarded

Be good, Ohlmann.

I just went to look at the list of elected offices for my address in California (I actually went to the website to see if a sample ballot/voter info pack was available to download, but apparently not):

federal:

district attorney
sheriff/coroner
treasurer/tax collector
superintendent of schools

city:
mayor
city councilmember (at large)
city councilmember (my district)
auditor
attorney

special district:
3 AC transit directors
BART director
EBMUD director
East Bay Regional Park District director

school district:
Oakland Unified School District member
Peralta Community College Trustee
Alameda County Board of Education Trustee

Maybe not every single office is up for grabs every single election, but most are. Some only have one or two candidates running, some have lots of people you’ve never heard of. Some have party affiliations, so if you’re a member of, or trust, a certain party you can just wing it and vote by party; some others are just random names (often the only thing you know about them is their occupation, which is listed on the ballot).

msexceptiontotherule
msexceptiontotherule

Sorta kinda OT because kitties:

I’ve been admiring the cats available for adoption whose pictures are on display at the county animal shelter website, and looking for ‘the one’ that feels right for me. Since my last kitty passed in July 2014 I hadn’t been ready to look again until recently, but now that I am I decided to use the same process by which I found my dog seeing as it was successful without putting me in the position of wanting to adopt them all like going right to seeing them in person would certainly do. When the picture of my dog showed up on the webpage I just knew she was ‘the one’. Hopefully that feeling will come through with the right kitty as well.

Trump is a blustering fool with all kinds of BAD ideas. He can move to Alaska and hang out with Palin. I’d say he should go to another country but I don’t hate even one nation enough to wish Trump upon them. (Actually I don’t hate any country at all…) – so to model the behavior I would like to see from Canada with Justin Bieber, it’s only fair that the U.S. keeps Trump and puts him someplace he’ll cause the least amount of damage. Like Alaska. (Sorry in advance for any Mammotheers who live in Alaska.)

msexceptiontotherule: Good luck and I hope you find the perfect kitty!

Vanir85
Vanir85

FYI. Our wannabe Dash-enforcer, Judgy B, is still going strong with her attacks on women’s right to vote, with her # WhyWomenShouldNotVote hashtag. I think she’s trying to get it to trend (mostly on her own).

Honestly, I assume she’s salty over Trump getting paddled – she’s dragging out every possible action (other) women do that she dislikes or disagrees with, as “why women should not vote”. I guess if women wont’t vote for HER candidate, they should not vote at all 🙂

It’s actually kinda funny to watch, IF you’re in the right mood for it.

Hambeast, Social Justice Beastie
Hambeast, Social Justice Beastie

kat

Your reasoning is sound. And these aliens aren’t the kind that Trump can handle. You can’t build a wall — even a big, fat, beautiful, serious wall — and keep out extraterrestrials.

Plus, how do you get the extraterrestrials to pay for the wall to begin with??

msexceptiontotherule: Trump may as well come to the very conservative and religious piece of California where I live. There’s not too much mischief he can get up to if he’s confined to this county. Meanwhile, husbeast and I can move to the next (and way more liberal) county over.

Pie
Pie

If the #MicrosoftRubioFraud is true, elites are coming ever closer to declaring civil war on millions of armed patriots. Won’t end well.

Paul Beaulieu
Paul Beaulieu

“Not being familiar with US politics, I’ve always been confused by who, exactly, these “elites” are. Trump is a billionaire born into wealth, but is apparently some kind of regular guy cos he was on the TV before he moved into politics?”

Well, in right-wing populist politics, “elites” (aka “liberal elites”) are those who oppose right-wing policies.

Kat
Kat

Some neo-Nazis sit around and make up sh*t.

Some neo-Nazis (maybe the same ones?) try to take matters into their own hands:

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

@Pie

Sometimes the Illuminati, sometimes the Reptilians, sometimes Obama’s Islamocommunist black FEMAcopters, and sometimes, as in this case… THE JOOOZ. *dramatic organ chord*

No, seriously.

msexceptiontotherule
msexceptiontotherule

@Hambeast SJB

As long as it’s not L.A. county or the sliver of O.C. just over a wall from my house (hah, wall. Not today Trump, not any day.) I’m ok with the plan, but there’s one more caveat – he’s not allowed to travel freely throughout the state. Because, Trump.

@Katz

Thanks! It’s all about being patient, the right cat will be revealed when it’s time. It sounds like a lot of ‘woo’, but it’s about the gut feeling.

btmom
btmom

NPR also debunked the coin toss BS. If you ask me, the Bernie bros are acting no different than the Republicans when it comes to Hillary.

I was really undecided, leaning towards HRC slightly, and now I’m supporting her because (1) the sexism really turns me off and (2) I think while I’d love to have what Bernie’s promising, the promises are empty and people are being taken in.

Trump didn’t win and his followers immediately made up a narrative about how it wasn’t fair. Bernie didn’t win and his followers immediately made up a narrative about how it wasn’t fair. There’s definitely a shared narrative that their candidates are too special to simply lose by a fair vote.

But there’s that additional gender element where when men earn things but women get things handed to them.

Hambeast, Social Justice Beastie
Hambeast, Social Justice Beastie

msexceptiontotherule – Nah. Riverside county. That’d keep him out of L.A. county and barred from Hollywood. I’ve been wanting to move back to North San Diego county, I was born/raised in the San Fernando Valley, though.

Owen McLovely
Owen McLovely

Personally, I wouldn’t be surprised if Trump himself rigged the system so he would lose. He must realize that he can’t just march into Congress or the Senate and go “You’re Fired!”.

Bit like Ron Paul and his Ayn-Randian Gold Standard bullshit. As long as he’s on the sidelines he can shout “Conspiracy” all he wants and his followers will lick his boots. But he would shit his underoos if he actually had to carry out the magic formulas he boast about.

Trump only wants publicity. If he loses he can cry that Americans don’t appreciate his godlike superiority and win more support and make more money. If he gets elected even he would have to abide by the rules.