8chan anti-Semitism cuckolding cultural marxism gullibility homophobia none dare call it conspiracy racism rationalization hamster reactionary bullshit red pill return of kings

Neo-Nazis and Other Trump Fans Accuse Microsoft of Rigging the Iowa Caucuses

Donald Trump: Yuge loser?
Donald Trump: Yuge loser?

Donald Trump’s supporters, like the man himself, are not what you’d call gracious losers, so it comes as no surprise that they’re taking The Donald’s second-place finish in Iowa hard. And given Trump’s own forays into conspiracy theory (all that birther stuff), it’s also not exactly a shock to see his fans claiming that the Iowa caucuses were rigged.

What is a little surprising is who they’ve picked as the supervillain in the alleged plot against Trump. Not the winner of the Iowa caucuses, Ted Cruz, but Marco Rubio — the guy who came in third, after Trump. With a little help from the dastardly computer whizzes at Microsoft.

Their peculiar theory, first spread on 8chan and then picked up by such highly reputable publications as Breitbart and Infowars and Return of Kings, is that Microsoft, which provided free software used to count the votes in the caucuses, rigged the vote to make sure that Trump came in second and that Rubio won.

Oh, sorry, I forgot. Rubio didn’t win. He came in third place. After Trump.

But hey, the conspiracy theorists claim, he got more votes than people thought he would! And Trump didn’t win. Therefore skullduggery.

The “proof?” First, Trump lost, which his fans can’t imagine could have happened without vote rigging behind the scenes. Second, Microsoft was the second biggest donor in Rubio’s last Senate campaign. CHECKMATE.

But as Philip Bump of the Washington Post points out, Microsoft is only “sort of Rubio’s second-biggest donor.” The $33,000 that the Center for Responsive Politics reported as coming from Microsoft did not all or even mostly come from the company itself. As Bump explains, “most of that money came from various people working at Microsoft.”

Naturally, Trump’s fans — including a number of people familiar to readers of this blog — aren’t buying this debunking. On the Twitter hashtag #MicrosoftRubioFraud, the accusations are flying. As is the racism and homophobia.

But a few managed to find a silver lining:

And yes, he did refer to the Iowa caucuses as the Iowa CUCKus.

One Tweeter managed to find some humor in it all:

Clippy is one sneaky bastard, huh?

Kat
Kat

@Alan Robertshaw
Thanks for the info on bears and other creatures.

Bryce
Bryce

So they’re attacking third-placed Rubio with some crackpot theory, but not Ted Cruz (who’s of Italian and Cuban descent) because he wants to deport ‘illegals’ and maybe looks a bit whiter…

Paradoxical Intention

OT, but here goes:

I made a cool design for my Redbubble and personal Zazzle stores if y’all want to take a look.

@ kat

You’re very welcome. I hope I didn’t come across as looking like I think people who go to zoos are bad, or that all zoos are inherently evil (that’s just seaparks). I loved zoos as a kid. It’s just as we learn more attitudes can change, it’s an education thing.

It’s great that people are interest in animals, but the substitutes for actually seeing them in zoos improve all the time, and there’s no real substitute for letting them live in their natural environment, so preservation of habitats is a key issue. Of course, we need to keep the interest up to feed into that, so it’s quite a tricky balance!

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

I don’t know who owns loser.com but they have a heck of a sense of humor; that page now redirects to Trump’s Wikipedia entry.

Friendly Neighborhood Dragon Arthur
Friendly Neighborhood Dragon Arthur

I know something was going to crop up about the caucuses, but not in this fashion.

It’s like you’re in the wacky races and you won 2nd place with your souped-up DeLorean and lost to the guy driving the Love Bug, but managed to beat the guy in the Pod-racer that crashed and burned before it got to the finish line. Instead of trying to figure out how you lost to a volkswagen, you’re complaining about someone who didn’t even win who was using something that wasn’t a car. It just makes no sense.

Now that I realize it, my whole analogy makes no sense either. I think I’ll just talk about elephants. Elephants are descendants of mammoths, and female elephants lead the herd… Wait a second…

weirwoodtreehugger

I still think zoos can do good (if and only if they take care) because they can teach kids, as well as adults about conservation and because kids who visit the zoo a lot will grow to care about wild animals, not just pet animals. Let’s face it, people don’t care about things they don’t have any personal connections to.

@ WWTH

That’s very true of course, but we have to be careful to,avoid an ends justifies the means approach. We can create personal bonds in other ways. No kid has seen a real dinosaur, but if we told them there was one living is some faraway jungle they’d happily chip in their pocket money to help preserve the habitat. People invest in things they can’t personally encounter all the time. Remember all that thing about people wanting to live on that ‘Avatar’ planet?

We can educate kids and encourage their enthusiasm in all sorts of ways: TV, computers, animatronics etc. Lots of people care about polar bears, mountain gorillas and pandas never having seen a real one.

Alan Robertshaw

Oh, I’ve been spotted. Sorry I meant to say I. Am. Posting. This. Entirely. Of. My. Own. Free. Will.

*tries to remember how to blink in morse code*

ETA: I’m not convinced by some of the arguments in this article but it raises some interesting intersectionality points

Falconer
Falconer

Well, I think this cartoon eloquently summarizes the overblown rhetoric and fawning congratulatory tone of the Trumpies.

comment image

anon
anon

You say that this is a conspiracy but I have evidence that it’s true.

Rubio is so completely incompetent that rigging an election to land in third is totally something that he’d do.

guy
guy

You say that this is a conspiracy but I have evidence that it’s true.

Prove it.

I love it! Is it by the same artist that did that Milo cartoon? If not, they are brothers in spirit.

contrapangloss
contrapangloss

Anon, please do show your evidence. If you have it, of course.

Just saying you have evidence of something is kind of meaningless without actually providing evidence.

For instance:

I have evidence that suggests the moon is indeed made of cheese.

Do you believe me?

Tovius
Tovius

@Falconer
Ha! That comic is so ridiculous! I love that the Sun is “reality” seeing as the average Trumpite wouldn’t know reality outside of their white supremacist bubble if it bit them on the ass.

Is it by the same artist that did that Milo cartoon?

I thought it looked familiar!

@ contrapangloss

Anon, please do show your evidence.

I beloved it’s traditional in such matters that you have to meet in a subterranean carpark and stand in the shadows when disclosing things like that.

Falconer
Falconer

@katz:

I’m pretty sure it’s the same guy. He sure does love him some Entitled White Men.

EDIT: Oh lord, I hadn’t noticed the Illuminati eye-pyramid hanging off of Obama!Dracula’s neck before.

It’s like an onion of ridiculousness.

@ falconer

Don’t forget “MSM” mouse.

reymohammed

As my father’s side of the family came from Dubuque, Jones, and Alamakee Counties, I have some idea how these people think. Even those who are fuming with *white*- hot rage are not going to vote for someone who openly and repeatedly talks about boffing his daughter… a point I imagine is lost on MRAs.

contrapangloss
contrapangloss

Alan, you’re right!

I’ll have to think of a suitably contrived and cliche location and time for an exchange of evidence.

anon
anon

…You guys really couldn’t tell that that was a “Marco Rubio sure is stupid!” joke?

weirwoodtreehugger

I’m pretty sure Anon was making a joke.

guy
guy

Poe’s law is in effect and I assume anything like that without sarcasm tagging is serious.

weirwoodtreehugger

Ninja’d and for some reason no edit button is appearing.

contrapangloss
contrapangloss

Poe’s law.

I kind of guessed it might be a joke, but at the same time… I know some folks who are dead serious saying similar things.

And it’s ridiculous.

So I snark.

Paradoxical Intention

anon | February 2, 2016 at 10:37 pm

With the kind of trolls we get around here?

One can’t be too careful, unfortunately.

authorialAlchemy
authorialAlchemy

@ Alan- Another cool thing about zoos is that they help with species conservation efforts by breeding endangered animals. If things get really bad and all of a species natural environment gets wrecked, zoos can help prevent extinction. I saw axolotls at my local zoo and it’s good to know they’re still around even if their native lakes are too polluted for them to live in. The zoo also has some white rhinos, Przewalski’s horses, gorillas, tigers, and a polar bear. All of the enclosures are in good shape, although the penguins seem a bit crowded. :/ They’re making a new penguin area, though.

I also went to this one place called Binder Zoo and it has these huge enclosures for African prairie animals and giraffes.

Most zoos are good and the animals who live there live healthy, long lives. The history of zoos is ugly, though, and I agree there is no perfect replica for a wild habitat and lifestyle.

sbel
sbel

*blinks*
*shakes head*
That’s hilarious. I knew the coin toss thing would bring out some conspiracy fans, but I didn’t even think about how Trump fans would deny the legitimacy of his 2nd place finish. And the whole “Microsoft / Rubio conspiracy” thing… *shakes head again*

I am getting a little concerned about the future of this country though. Democracies only work if people actually accept the results.

Kat
Kat

It’s clear that Microsoft was not behind Trump’s loss. No, it was behind Sanders’ “loss.” Microsoft used its terrifying black box program to rig the coin tosses.

That was just me joking. I don’t actually think that Microsoft rigged the coin tosses.

Smartypants Goose Duarte tweeted this:

They literally let money decide the election.

sbel
sbel

@personalpest

…remember that Trump, Cruz and their followers are a lunatic fringe whose influence and media coverage…

Sorry, but I think the phrase “lunatic fringe” is against the Comments Policy. Please don’t use it.

Sorry. This election has left me literally unable to tell when anyone is joking about anything.

sbel
sbel

@ Kat

That’s good. 😉 I was wondering how a software company could rig a physical coin toss.

EJ (The Other One)

@sbel:
Aren’t all Microsoft systems operated by means of Bill Gates pressing a button somewhere in Redmond?
/s

Vanir85
Vanir85

In other news. MRAs might lose one of their main whining points.

Oh. And Judgy B is busy playing Daesh female enforcer, on Twitter, pushing that women shouldn’t vote.

@ authorialalchemy

Yeah, I think I mentioned the conservation work; I’m still not convinced any zoo can be cool though. The mere fact that by comparison, some zoos aren’t (visibly) as shitty as others, doesn’t necessarily make them acceptable.

I personally don’t have a problem with some of the smaller animals being kept in captivity. It might be possible to design a habitat that an axolotol doesn’t notice differs from nature. For the bigger animals though, even the nicest seeming set up is a problem. They’re used to much larger environments and there are lots of subtle features that can’t be replicated. The animals can seem fine to the layperson but they can show signs of stress when monitored closely by experts.

We have to be careful not to fall into an attitude of “well, we need their homes for our purposes so it’s ok to preserve a few in a replica environment”. Was horrible when we did it to humans, still horrible when we do it to other creatures.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

What’s she doing on Twitter? Wasn’t she banned?

occasional reader
occasional reader

Hello.

Hmm, i guess they are the kind of person who curse the dices or the cards, the car or the bike, the horse or the weather, when they loose.
But this is ludicrous : as the great Tsoukalos reminds it so often, when you can not explain something, even a defeat, it is just because Aliens. You do not understand why Trump has lost ? Aliens. Pure and simple.

Have a nice day.

Napalmnacey
Napalmnacey

@jon “nutpicking”… Was that intentional?

dhag85
dhag85

@EJ

JB dug up an old andreahardie account.

Kat
Kat

@occasional reader

You do not understand why Trump has lost? Aliens.

Your reasoning is sound. And these aliens aren’t the kind that Trump can handle. You can’t build a wall — even a big, fat, beautiful, serious wall — and keep out extraterrestrials.

Kat
Kat

@Vanir85

Judgy B thinks women aren’t fit to vote — we can’t think our way out of a paper bag.

By extension, we also shouldn’t express our opinions on Twitter or in op-ed pieces or in videos. We should leave that sort of thing to men, who do know how to think.

Maybe Judgy B doesn’t vote. Maybe. But she tweets and writes op-ed pieces and creates videos.

Judgy B: Logic much?

bluecat
bluecat

I can’t wait for Trump to lose, claim victory, and hold his own inauguration.

Moggie
Moggie

katz:

Even if every penny of it had been his money, that would just mean “I’m really really really rich.” Only a GOP candidate could think that in and of itself was a selling point.

Well, there’s a certain efficiency to it. Money corrupts the political process, but Trump comes pre-corrupted.

dhag85
dhag85

@Kat

Same mental gymnastics we see in all feMRAs. When they say women shouldn’t vote, they make exceptions for women who aren’t “like other women”. JB thinks if women level up to let’s say level 28, they’ll mentally evolve into men, at which point they can have the same rights as men.

Alan Robertshaw

Vaguely related to the zoo/animal rights thing

Thought this might be a good space to share this. Last night I made some comments on Facebook about hunting big game (against it). Didn’t really get much response. A few people raising the issue of local economy, conservation etc. Not unreasonable counter points I suppose.

This morning a friend who’s a woman has made the identical comments I did. Anyone here care to guess how people have responded to her?

Bonus points if you can guess the most common word used :-/

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

“Constitutionaly”, I guess.

Kat
Kat

@dhag85

So different rights for different groups of women?

Women must pass certain tests before they can vote?

In the USA, at least, so-called literacy tests administered to potential voters have been banned.

bluecat
bluecat

@ Alan

anything related to a female canine?

I’m planning on being in the Smoke soon (cat sitting near Chancery Lane 🙂 ) to see the grandsprogs, and was actually thinking of taking them to London zoo. It’s years since I’ve been but I remember it as not too vile – though, as you say, it can be hard to tell.

What’s your take on it?

(On the other hand, I’ve just looked at the prices… 🙁 )

dhag85
dhag85

@Kat

That’s how I interpret all their claims of “REAL equality”.

Women can have the same rights as men, as long as they “behave like men”.

Black people can have the same rights as whites, as long as they “behave like whites”.

Etc.