antifeminism concern troll harassment homophobia hypocrisy irony alert misogyny racism threats TROOOLLLL!! twitter

Just Another Day on Twitter: Horse-Obsessed Concern Troll Edition

Type type type
Type type type

In this, the inaugural episode of an occasional series I’m calling Just Another Day on Twitter, we will meet a very concerned Twitterer who showed up in my mentions today.

Jemoi1, you see, is unhappy that I suggested the other day that Richard Dawkins’ recent tweets about Chanty Binx, the red-haired Canadian feminist who’s become a favorite target of MRAs and others of their ilk, would almost certainly worsen the harassment that she’s been facing on a daily basis for nearly three years.

“[B]y accusing people you disagree with of harrasing you are pissing on the experience of real harrasment victims,” Jemoi1 tweeted at me, claiming to be a harassment victim himself. In a followup tweet, he accused me of chasing page views “while ignoring victims of harrassment.”

As I pondered whether or not to bother to respond, I clicked over to Jemoi1’s Twitter feed. And this is what I saw.

jemoi1 ‏@jemoi1 1h1 hour ago @DavidFutrelle @szvan as a real harrassment victim fuck you for associating dawkins tweets with harrasment View conversation 0 retweets 0 likes Reply Retweet Like More jemoi1 ‏@jemoi1 1h1 hour ago @DavidFutrelle @szvan by accusing people you disagree with of harrasing you are pissing on the experience of real harrasment victims. View conversation 0 retweets 0 likes Reply Retweet Like More jemoi1 ‏@jemoi1 Jan 28 @caraellison someone needs to tell you how ugly you ar.e please dont appear on the internet. put a trigger warning somewhere View conversation 0 retweets 0 likes Reply Retweet Like More jemoi1 ‏@jemoi1 Jan 28 @caraellison bleah. damn you feminist are shitty ugly creatures. bleah. i just pucked. take it off the internet or put a trigger warning. View conversation 0 retweets 0 likes Reply Retweet Like More jemoi1 ‏@jemoi1 Jan 28 @youropinionz if only your mother would have ignored that dogs cock and instead of fucking him would have just give him food hahaha View conversation 0 retweets 0 likes Reply Retweet Like More jemoi1 ‏@jemoi1 Jan 28 @youropinionz remember the time your mother suckked a dogs dicck in the street after drinking wine. hahaha. so funny. facts-no-oppinions

As you no doubt noted, I blanked out the names of those he was targeting as well as some of the more obscene language.

There are literally hundreds of tweets like these — angry, obscene, scatological, abusive.

Jemoi1 is a little bit obsessed with horses.

@jemoi1 Jan 28 @youropinionz hahah. youre so funny. just like the time a horse shat and pissed in your mouth and you starting swallowing hahahahah

And with other people’s mothers.

realhar5fumother

Oh, in case you’re wondering, when Jemoi1 refers to “racism,” he (naturally) means racism against white people. This is the main theme of perhaps a third of his tweets.

Despite his obsession with racism (against white people), he is happy to drop the n-word into his own Tweets. Here’s one lovely example:

jemoi1 ‏@jemoi1 8 Aug 2013 @LatinoFIFA dumb nigger.fuuuck you and you dead family you bitch.slave.pussy.bitxch.phoney.gfaggot

While most of his tweets target feminists and those he deems anti-white racists, Jemoi1 also has some strong feelings about e-sports, spamming a number of professional e-sporters with the same vicious, vaguely threatening message:

In a couple of cases, he moved past mere threatening language and simply sent his targets death threats.

realhardeaththreat

jemoi1 ‏@jemoi1 8 May 2012 @FlyingColour i will kill you

It seems to me that if Jemoi1 were truly concerned about the victims of harassment, he would have long ago DELETED HIS ACCOUNT.

Kat
Kat

The meet-the-PUAs plans are shaping up nicely. Bizarrely but nicely.

But Sheila Crosby brings up an ominous question about these guys:

Am I being OTT, or does it seem possible they’d agree to provide mutual alibis for rapes?

Alan Robertshaw

@ Bernardo

Philip Zimbardo

Would you be surprised to learn that he was very good friends with Stanley Milgram?

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

Well I don’t have a parrot, but I do have an actual dog-whistle (the dog itself would have to stay at home, not being of a size and disposition to pass unnoticed on public transport 🙂 )

Lime
Lime

Yay, there’s Roosh meet ups in Australia, what a surprise (not). I wonder where they’ll be?

Not looking up any Roosh sites to find out

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

Huh, I don’t see much point in trying to protest or sabotage ROK meetings. I you want to infiltrate those meetings for online mocking purposes, go ahead (consider your own safety first).

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden

So you can tweet about killing specific people on Twitter and still have an account? Tweets like the ones featured on this post are exactly why I will never join Twitter. It supports death threats and threats of violence with zero consequences.

dhag85
dhag85

@Arctic Ape

Mocking and documenting would be my priorities.

occasional reader
occasional reader

Hello.

Jemoi1 ? Could be translated in Imyself1 from french. As in “I, myself, is one harasser”, i guess. Involuntary irony or obvious self-centered egotist ?

On Roosh, is he going in France too ?

About Dawkins, who still pretends to be a feminist, this is raising the following stuff : what is the difference between a misogynist man and a self-declared feminist man ? The former says : “Go back to the kitchen and make me a sandwich” while the latter says : “Go back to the kitchen and make me some cookies”. Hmm, indeed, that is a huge difference…

Have a nice day.

Saphira
Saphira

I just read the Brometheus Rex blog post Kat posted on page two and found this quote to be rather hilarious:

It’s exciting to talk to someone [Roosh] who in a lot ways has already arrived at the place you want to be.

Really? You want to be bitter, lonely, depressed and outraged that you have to actually wipe your own butt to get a woman to sleep with you?

Titianblue
Titianblue

Talking of Roosh, if any British Mammothers would care to sign a petition to keep him out of Scotland, it would be much appreciated .

dhag85
dhag85

@occasional reader

I’d say in this case the difference between an anti-feminist and a self-declared feminist in this case is that the anti-feminist says “women should stay in the kitchen”, while the self-declared feminist says “how dare women complain about being stuck in the kitchen when some muslim women have it even worse”.

dhag85
dhag85

By the way, anyone still on the fence about Dawkins? No?

Just in case, he also retweeted this:

comment image

Kindageeky
Kindageeky

I guess he’s mad that David is disrespecting is own very legitimate harassment. How dare you call mere disagreement harassment! I’LL show you real harassment!!

WRT The MacGyver test: The rules aren’t particularly objectionable, aside from mandating that women be romantically interested, but it’s so MRA to respond to a test requiring women to exist with a test requiring men to be competent and heroic.

occasional reader
occasional reader

> dhag85
Oh, indeed, you have a point, at least for Dawkins. The law of the Worse is strong with him.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

I really, really like that MacGuyver test. Requirements 1, 3 and 4 are very interesting from a feminist perspective; requirement 2 is just something that appeals to me personally.

– Movie does not require the absence of the mother for the father to be portrayed as a competent dad.

This is important because it challenges the assumption that women are the default caregivers.

– Honest hard-working man is in a successful and/or leadership position and/or is not a chump.

I can’t see this being a challenge to the patriarchy, but I’m in favour of it because I dislike the “This Loser Is You” trope.

– Female protagonist shows interest in the male protagonist before he is the hero.

With all respect to katz above, I think this can be rewritten as “the female protagonist is not a trophy to be won.” One doesn’t get the girl through being the hero, one gets her through being a person that she likes and wants to spend time with.

– Male protagonist solves problems in creative ways, and only uses violence as a last resort to accomplish his goals or mission.

Fucking yes.

dhag85
dhag85

What does this test have to do with MacGyver though?

WeirwoodTreeHugger
WeirwoodTreeHugger

Why do we need a male Bechtel test? The tropes listed are examples of generally lazy writing, not evidence of sexism against men.

The incompetent, bumbling dad trope in particular is more harmful to women than men because it reinforces the expectation that women do the domestic work, even if she has a full time paid job.

Bina

What does this test have to do with MacGyver though?

Srsly. Last I looked, wasn’t that a TV show about a single guy, no kids, being able to improvise his way out of a seemingly intractable problem, using just two cans, a rusty razorblade, a string, and a chewed piece of bubblegum? What does it have to do with fatherhood?

Meanwhile, I’m thinking a lot of fun could be had with Roosh’s full list of venues, if any brave souls out there are willing to go, if only to spy and report on the proceedings (which will no doubt be mighty pathetic).

Bina

PS: That cartoon is hideous. But the woman in it isn’t wrong. Dude is both sexist AND racist. Because, presumably, his “point” was that women here have it good compared to women in Muslim countries. It’s sexist to assume that feminists are complaining about nothing, and racist to assume that Muslims, being often brown, are worse to women! Also, as I’ve pointed out before on other threads, THERE ARE ACTUAL MUSLIM FEMINISTS.

Dr Hoveiny
Dr Hoveiny

OT and I’m guessing David might have this in the hopper, but Dawkins is Dawkinsing again.

Bina

Also, Roosh’s little scheme has made the news in Scotland:

On the website advertising the event, Roosh V writes that it is time for his supporters to “come out of the shadows and not have to hide behind a computer screen for fear of retaliation”.

“Come out of the shadows”…guffaw. So, Roosh basically admits that he and his hangers-on are a bunch of cowardly troglodytes.

Vanir85
Vanir85

Also, Roosh’s little scheme has made the news in Scotland

– Bina

For once, reading the comments was uplifting 🙂

littleknown
littleknown

Re: the continuing Dawkins meltdown:

Great Flying Spaghetti Monster, Richard.

I haven’t been following his behavior for some time, and I was under the impression that he admitted in the Pharyngula comments on “Dear Muslima” that he understood that he was arguing a logical fallacy. But no, he goes right back to the same well.

I’m imagining a different cartoon: In one panel, a woman is asking men to please not proposition women in an elevator, alone, in a foreign country, at 2 (4?) in the morning, because it’s creepy and scary for the woman. In the other panel, is a drowned child refugee. The cartoon reads, “One of these things offends Richard Dawkins. The other is a 3-year-old boy who drowned while his family tried to escape a brutal war zone.”

A high-school teacher introduced me to the RAWA in 2000. Back then, pretty much the only people who gave a flying fuck about them and their cause were feminists. This “I care more about the plight of women in oppressive societies than feminists do” is complete bullshit.

It is sad that the legacy Dawkins will leave will be that of the dull mind of a bigot rather than the sharp mind of a communicator of science.

A poster at Pharyngula makes the point that Dawkins has been against feminism all along. Richard Dawkins: knocking down the easy targets and straw-manning since 1998 (TM). He truly has found his people.

dhag85
dhag85

@Dr Hoveiny

Thanks for the link. I saw these tweets but only after the original one had been deleted. I wonder if Dawkins will ever stop to think why it just happens that he now finds himself on the same side as people who would link to nazi propaganda.

Dr Hoveiny
Dr Hoveiny

Dhag, yes, for serious. Who needs self reflection? I can’t believe he’s the same guy who wrote about “rolling waves of moral zeitgeist” or whatever it was.

BoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoink
BoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoink

Ahhh, Dawkins.

Someone I met online once gave me a really good quote”…Unless that intelligence is accompanied by a proportional amount of compassion and empathy…you end up being an asshole and your intelligence is a liability, not a blessing.”

I think that fits Dawkins to the letter. An otherwise intelligent man completely lacking in empathy, to the point where his intelligence becomes a shield to justify his irrational beliefs.

Tessa
Tessa

dhag85:
My bet is on him convincing himself it was sent as bait from his “enemies” to trick him into retweeting it, rather than being made and sent by racists who are cheering him right now.

Bernardo Soares
Bernardo Soares

Re: MacGyver Test

I agree that taken without context, the criteria are quite alright. However, the “dysfunctional dad” trope, e.g., is usually solved by a) the father actually becoming a competent dad, or b) the mum rolling her eyes, smiling and taking over. The fact that in this trope, two sexist stereotypes come together (one for men, the other for women), is omitted from the analysis.

I also find it problematic that this is billed as some kind of gotcha for the Bechdel test, as if they wouldn’t both ultimately point to the same problem, only in the case of the Bechdel test much, much broader and more insidious.

Of course, feminists would probably agree that these are all fine points (especially the one about violence), but it seems that not only the MRAs, but also the original book itself put this problem in the context of “Misandry!” instead of integrating it into a general analysis of patriarchal structures.

Kimstu
Kimstu

@ Bernardo Soares:

[…] has anyone here heard of the MacGyver-Test? It’s supposed to be a complementary test to the Bechdel Test, but for men in movies.

It goes like this:

“Complementary”, ha ha ha ha!!!

Bechdel Test: Are there any female characters in this movie who are even briefly portrayed as even marginally independent human beings?

MacGyver Test: Are the super important and central male characters who it goes without saying are the main focus of the movie’s plot and character development portrayed as uniformly competent, heroic and admired throughout the movie?

It’s par for the course that MRAs would consider those “complementary” assessments for the portrayal of gender in movies, but I’d be rather surprised (and shocked) if any non-MRAs buy into it.

Dreadnought
Dreadnought

The summary page for the meetup reads like it was written by a survivalist. Valizadeh mentions societal collapse, vague threats, and government infiltration. It sounds like these gatherings are basically a group of men congregating to fraternise, and yet Roosh has somehow turned this into a game of pretend spy. This would be bizarre if it weren’t so pretentious and divorced from reality.

BringTheNoise
BringTheNoise

@TitianBlue: I had just signed the petition and was coming here to promote it. Hopefully the government will take it seriously

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

An honest, hard working man can be unsuccessful and/or be chump in real life. I have yet to see a woman incapable of speaking of something else than men.

Part of why this test is horseshit, while his individual part aren’t bad, is that a woman who fail Bechdel is at best extremely mentally ill, while a man who fail one individual part of that test, or even all of them, can still be a sane human.

booburry
booburry

Paradoxical Intention,
Deacon is doing that same thing with the code in my game as well. I got his perk so I thought I could romance him, but he won’t ever talk about anything different. Now I just hope it isn’t permanent as I haven’t finished the main quest line. 🙁

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Personally, I’m expecting him to go full Trump voter just so he doesn’t have to admit that he made a mistake.

Seriously, there were pharaohs with less of a God complex than that guy.

Richard Smith
Richard Smith

Tempted to pay a visit to the Ottawa locale. I can have the relevant Monty Python episode playing on my iPad as I wait. Performance art, if you will.

Although, I might find it creepier if I met any actual MRAs there than any supposed spookiness next door…

davidknewton

Very proud that this is being picked up by the news in Scotland and reported in such accurate terms 🙂 The whole treehouse-spies thing is amazing – wear a red carnation, walk with a limp and carry the plans across the Edinburgh/Glasgow border concealed in a knockwurst with a fuse coming out of it.

Has he MET Scottish people before? Women from where I grew up subjected to his attitude are… not going to be happy.

Dreadnought
Dreadnought

Do any of you guys think that Rooshes seemingly innocuous excuse for these meetups is actually a front for something more sinister? I just had a light-bulb moment and realised that everybody might be thinking this and I was the only one who hadn’t caught on.

Alan Robertshaw

@ dreadnought

I suspect it’s nothing more than a desperate attempt to show he’s still relevant.

When no-one actually turns up he’ll say it was a piece of performance art or a prank or something.

littleknown
littleknown

If the MacGyver test was conceived as a gotcha for the Bechdel test, then it seems to me to fall into the “A Good Cartoon” type of mockery.

I think EJ’s analysis is spot-on — each of the four points, rather than being in conflict with the Bechdel test, are instead complementary in pointing out sexism within movies. (Of course, it’s also worth noting that these complaints don’t rise to the level of “a man has a major role” or “two men talk to each other, and not about a woman”.) (Ninja’d by Kimstu, who made the point much better.)

Men are capable of being competent fathers, including when the mother is present. A good cartoon.

Men who are honest and hard-working are quite likely to be successful and/or in a leadership position, especially if they are straight, cis, and white. A good cartoon.

Women generally like men for who they are, rather than what recognition society gives them. A good cartoon.

Men are just as capable as women of solving problems without using violence. A good cartoon.

Seriously, if the point is that men suffer from sexism in movies, too…well, like, no shit! Sexism, being sexism, isn’t really good for anyone, except sexists. But it’s also important to note that men being normalized to solve their problems with violence means that both men and women tend to be victims at the hands of men. (There’s something a bit whiny about men complaining about being socialized to dish out violence, as if we are the primary victims, when the other gender is being socialized only to receive it.)

If you don’t like those four movie tropes, because instead of representing reality, they represent a caricature of it that makes men angrier than they would otherwise be, upset with a world that doesn’t actually exist; then, um — that feminism thing? It might be for you.

I really, really hope at least one of you here does do the Roosh thing and report back. (None of them are near enough to me that I could easily make it, and I could never disguise myself as a Rooshite anyway.)

Falconer
Falconer

@Ohlmann:

What’s your understanding of the Bechdel test? Because I thought it was about stories. Yes, it concerns women characters but it doesn’t measure them.

Tessa
Tessa

Littleknown:

Sadly, that isn’t what the MRAs want. They want the stuff on the list WHILE still expecting women to be the primary caregivers (unless the man wants to be, then he should get to no matter what), men get favored in job choice, women have to defer to men, etc. They basically want every negative men face under patriarchy gone while keeping the privilege fully intact.

Hambeast, Social Justice Beastie
Hambeast, Social Justice Beastie

Richard Smith: It’d be pretty funny if someone staged another meetup (preferably right next to Rooshie’s) where the folks were giving the Monty Python sign/countersign: “I’d like to see the dog kennels, please”/”Second floor, pets department” in loud stage whispers. Then, when the PUA’s start looking over, start singing “Jerusalem” (tea chest optional.)

Actually, as much as I like the buying a bed sketch, my favorite (for a sign/countersign, Monty Python style) has always been:

“Oh, Mr. Belpit your legs are so swollen!”

“Is this where I inquire about flying lessons?”

sunnysombrera
sunnysombrera

@guest

What would be even better than one of us infiltrating the meet up is if an actual journalist did it (double points if the journalist is Jeff Sharlet or Reggie Yates. TRIPLE points if they go unrecognised!).

Kirbywarp
Kirbywarp

The Macgyver Test doesn’t work as a complement because the Bechdel test was meant to be profound for how simple the requirements were and how many movies still failed it. It wasn’t about one movie, it was about the set of existing movies.

The Macgyver Test seems to be defined in a way that applies to individual movies, with the implication that a movie is bad if it doesn’t meet the reqs. Mainly because this is MRAs we’re talking about; they think shows like The Simpsons are stand-alone pieces of evidence that society is sexist against men.

If not, then the test is useless; plenty of movies and shows fulfill it.

WeirwoodTreeHugger
WeirwoodTreeHugger

In Dawkinsland apparently, feminists are free speech destroyers who are just as bad as terrorists. But Nazi propaganda is merely obnoxious.

Okay sealioning trolls, are we finally allowed to label Dawkins an anti-feminist and reactionary now?

If someone is more upset by feminists asking men not to harass women and not to say bigoted things than he is by Nazi propaganda, what does that tell you?

sunnysombrera
sunnysombrera

Feminists: “Can we have female representation in more than just a few films where they are not merely tied in with what the male characters are doing? Like they’re independent autonomous people?”
MRAs: “We want men to look super duper good at all times in all things! Why is this not happening in every single film? Sexism!”

WeirwoodTreeHugger
WeirwoodTreeHugger

The only Roosh meet up in my state is Duluth. I’m comforted that their aren’t enough fans in the entire Twin Cities to arrange a get together.

Dreadnought