antifeminism irony alert men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA

The Feminsit Menace: As Big a Threat as Correctly Spelled Feminists?

I see what you did there
I see what you did there

Be careful out there, men! There is a terrible new danger I’ve just learned about on Twitter, a group of dastardly man-hating monsters who call themselves “feminsits.”

Apparently they are somewhat similar to those other dastardly man-hating monsters known as “feminists.”

Here’s what I have been able to figure out about them so far.

Feminsits want to make men illegal!

sit12

Feminsits are overloading Tumblr servers!

sit15

Feminsits are terrible at household chores!

sit19

Feminsits probably would not enjoy working in mines!

sit18

Tedious concern trolls have some of the same concerns about feminsits as they do about feminists!

sit17

Feminsits have a thing against windmills!

sit16Feminsits dumb like woman!

sit14

Feminsits hate bikinis!

sit13

Feminsits are the ones responsible for rape culture!

sit11Yeah, I think we heard this one about the light bulbs already.

sit10Feminsits will use rape and abuse to silence you, whatever that means!

sit8

Feminsits are kind of like One Direction fans in their terribleness!

sit7

Wait but it’s not even a real word!

sit6

Feminsits think that children should be cared for!

sit4

The real goal of the feminsit movement is to walk around topless!

sit3

Feminsits have a slogan!

sit1

But shouldnt that be “FAT UGLY FEMINSITS UNTIE?”

Damn, you anti-feminsits are really worked up about this lightbulb thing, huh?

sit20

Wait, there are “femonists” out there as well?

Damn, these femonists sound as bad as the feminsits!

Correction: Even worse!

Mieze
Mieze

I feel like it should be something you have — “I have a wicked case of the feminsits!”

Maybe that’s why we can’t change lightbulbs.

Lkeke35
Lkeke35

Dragon Arthur:
I love it! 😄
Rouge Angles of Satin is a great name for a rock band!

Bernardo Soares
Bernardo Soares
Makroth
Makroth

Feminsits are always accusing me of fucking the devil. Misandry!!!

Joel
Joel

Maybe it’s like when the right says Demoncrat instead of Democrat. Either way, it’s funny and the idiocy on display in the tweets is not reliant on the misspellings.

Nowadays, of course, scantily clad women only show up in coal mines when they need to shill in ridiculously ironic GE commercials.

@Alan

You raise a really interesting and important point. My gut reaction is that these are just typos that are common because of keyboard arrangements. When I’m typing on a desktop or laptop, there are certain words that I mistype with tedious regularity and I always mistype them the same way (eg. ‘Thier’ instead of ‘Their’). Twitter doesn’t correct these or flag them for me, unlike Word or my iDevices, so I have to check things, which I usually do although some things go through to the keeper.

But…I speak from the privileged POV of someone without a language disability. So while I can look at these examples and feel that it’s just laziness and lack of proofing, like it would be if I had made the mistake, it’s good to be reminded of the privilege I’m exercising in making that judgement.

I am endlessly sympathetic to those who have language disabilities. In my job in a call centre, I come across quite a lot of people who stutter. It’s hard to remind myself sometimes not to complete their sentences, especially when it’s easy to predict what they’re trying to say, but it’s important to give them respect by giving them agency (and it doesn’t cost me anything to wait a bit longer for them to finish what they’re saying). And anyway, it may be hard for me once in a while, but it’s hard for people with speech impediments ALL THE TIME. So I suck up any impatience I instinctively feel and try to be a better human.

Back to the twitters though…
In this case, doing my best to disengage from my privileged POV and considering it as sympathetically as I can, I still think most of these are neither deliberate misspellings nor, for the most part, a result of any disability such as dyslexia. I can’t completely discount those possibilities though, so I think your point is well made. I guess I shy away from armchair diagnosis of any disability, especially using examples from such a short-form medium as Twitter – there’s not enough to go on, and I just find it hard to be charitable to people who, disability or not, are gigantic douche canoes. I hope that doesn’t make me a bad person.

Thank you for starting the conversation – you’re a good man!

Dr Hoveiny
Dr Hoveiny

I can’t stop thinking of Sitz baths, which, fittingly, give relief to both male AND female perinuems.

@Dr Hoveiny

Oh my! That sent my brain in an interesting direction! As an opera singer, when we run through the score with the orchestra for the first time, it’s called a Sitzprobe. It’s often a tedious and interminable process and I can’t help feeling, now, that it would be much more bearable if we got to do it in a nice warm bath instead, although that probably wouldn’t go down too well with the instrumentalists given the extra humidity. It might also be difficult to find a big enough bath to fit all of us chorus at once. We singers would love the steam though – so good for the voice!

GiJoel
GiJoel

Oh no, won’t someone think of the man-children.

Rabid Rabbit
Rabid Rabbit

@Scaly Llama,

I’m pretty sure the brass players would hate the condensation on their instruments, the strings players would spend the whole time paranoid about their instruments, and the winds would have to spend the whole time cutting new reeds, while the conductor would blanch at the thought of sweating even more than usual.

The triangle player, though? He would be down with that.

(Apologies to any triangle players out there, I know you get made fun of almost as much as the violas do.)

@Rabid Rabbit

Indeed! And the brass players have enough trouble with condensation inside their instruments as it is – I’ve seen the spit pools next to the French horns 😂

Shadow
Shadow

@brooked

lying bullies attacking windmils

…and chasing waterfells.

If I may quote some great American philosophers

Don’t go chasing waterfells
Please stick to the rivets and the steam that you’re used to
😛

@Alan

While I would definitely feel the way you feel if this was picking on an individual, I think it’s fair game to make fun of it when it’s a trait that they show as a group. We’re not making fun of individual X for misspelling feminist, we’re making fun of a group of antifeminists for making the exact same mistake. And, while it’s possible that they’re all dyslexic or ESL, the much more plausible and likely scenario is lack of proofreading, especially when the tweets aren’t particularly riddled with mistakes or signs of a deficiency in English skills and these particular mistakes are common for everyone when speed typing.

Dr Hoveiny
Dr Hoveiny

@Scaly Lama

Ha, fun mental image! I had to look it up, “sitzbad” is German in origin and does just literally mean “sit bath.” “Probe” seems to mean “sample” or “trial.” So seated trial I guess?

I guess I assumed “sitz” was just a silly sounding advertising neologism from the 50s. Always fun to take a jaunt down the linguistics rabbit hole!

mildlymagnificent
mildlymagnificent

=We singers would love the steam though – so good for the voice! =

Absolutely. My singing teacher used to recommend having a thermos of boiling water, so that you could take a nice big lungful after you’d been standing in the often dusty wings waiting for your turn to compete in Eisteddfods and the like. Stride out on stage fully primed, ready to go.

But leave the thermos behind.

Chaltab
Chaltab

@katz

Wow, that commercial. I mean normally I’d be all for ads about strong gorgeous women flipping off gender stereotypes and showing off their muscles, but the completely idiotic punchline and the use of a song about the horrible conditions of early 20th century coal mines… wow. Someone at GE needs to get their Irony Meter looked at.

@mildlymagnificent

But leave the thermos behind.

I nearly snorted coffee out of my nose!

(Very good advice for almost every life situation, btw.)

@Dr Hoveiny

Yes, that’s it exactly 😄 It’s a trial run through with the orchestra to make sure we’re all on the same page, literally, and for the conductor to work out how to keep us there. The ‘sitz’ part refers to the singers who, having spent the previous weeks rehearsing movements on stage, get to sit since it would be counterproductive to have them moving around.

Jamesworkshop
Jamesworkshop

I read those in the same voice as muslamic ray guns

Crip Dyke
Crip Dyke

Feminsits, like women, are dumb!

Ummm, I think you misread that one, David.

The original tweet asserted:

Woman are so fucking stupid and so are feminsits!

Therefore, I think the headline you were looking for resides here:

Feminsits, like woman, are dumb!

No, no. No need to offer sex in exchange for a kind word now and again. I know this white knighting is very confusing, but for real, David: I’m not trying to get into your pants. I’m just happy to help.

These MRAs, they fuck up everything.

Crip Dyke
Crip Dyke

Woman are so fucking stupid and so are feminists!

Damn you, autocorrect! [rolls onto back and fires gun into the air, yelling inarticulately while the surfers/bankrobbers(/autocorrect programmers) get away]

FeminSITS

FeminSITS.

Sheez.
====================================
Oh, hey!

What’s the countdown timer for? The one next to the word “edit”. My, that’s interesting. Perhaps instead of firing dangerous ballistic projectiles into the air to land who knows where causing who-knows-what-damage I should have just fixed my error.

But that would require me to actually pay attention to the fact that this website is different from other sites on which I comment. Too much to expect. Sorry.

Verily Baroque
Verily Baroque

@Alan et al. re: typos/spelling mistakes

I get the hesitation at mocking this and am honestly on the fence regarding it myself. I personally wouldn’t have made a post like this at all were I David, but as the blog owner/cat wrangler, it’s his call.

However, – and while I cannot comment on the dyslexia part – in my opinion, there’s nothing in the tweets suggesting ESL on the level where writing “feminsits” would be automatically defendable. To put it bluntly, not all spelling mistakes are created equal.

In this case, the spelling mistake is in a suffix that is fairly common in the English language (even if it does have a remarkably awful concentration of consonants). I would be more forgiving of a spelling mistake in the actual body of the word (see “femonists” which is likely an honest typo, since I and O are next to each other on most keyboards), especially since “femin” as a building block for words is actually pretty rare in English. Although one would think it and different words build on it would be more familiar to the MRAs than to the average person due to their, ahem, interest in the topic.

There’s also the fact someone else mentioned earlier that most of the tweeters managed to spell correctly more or equally challenging words such as “humanists”, “contributed”, “confronting”, “light bulb”, “skyscrapers”.

Crip Dyke
Crip Dyke

Apparently it was tweeted by unfrozen caveman lawyer.

Oh, hey! I know that guy!

He represented a massage therapist who thought that massage therapists credibly accused of the sexual abuse of clients should never be required by the licensing board to post a notice that there is an accusation that has not yet been adjudicated and that persons of the same legal sex as the accuser are entitled to a chaperone, all as interim measures to be immediately removed by the disciplinary committee once an actual administrative hearing has been heard.

Oh, but wait. That wasn’t his argument. His argument was that such interim protective measures should not be considered the reasonable exercise of legislatively delegated authority nor part of the regulatory board’s mandate in the types of cases characterized by the situation of his client. This despite the fact that the law specifically requires the board to protect the public from “risk” (not “harm”) with interim measures when “risk” appears to exist from the point of view of the board.

Nope! Wait again! That was his conclusion. His actual argument was that such interim measures could NOT legally be imposed on his client despite the statute requiring protection of the public because 1, his client is a man, 2, his client has never been convicted of the same crime in a criminal court, and 3, his client is married!!!!! Given the facts he had not yet been convicted and that he had won the coveted title “man-who-drag-woman-to-cave” with its accompanying tax breaks and that he is a legally-recognized penis-haver, it is clear that a risk to the public could not possibly exist!

Therefore, the board had no “risk” before it upon which it could act! Ipso, fatso! Quid pro se! Quad Ears are Demonstrated!

Seriously.

Isn’t it obvious to anyone who is not thawed-caveman-lawyer that man-who-drag-woman-to-cave cannot commit a sexual crime unless he’s already been convicted of a sexual crime? Why can’t feminsits follow this kind of logic?

kupo
kupo

For what it’s worth, I agree with Alan that mocking the spelling errors in and of themselves, such as with some of the commenters using this to discuss the intelligence of the authors, is wrong and should be avoided. I have done some professional editing work and everyone, even the best writers I worked with, makes these kinds of mistakes. Some of them made more mistakes than others, and that was especially common in those with dyslexia or even just those who have more difficulty remembering arbitrary rules. Some of the better spellers were way worse at critical thinking. It had nothing to do with “intelligence” (which is a loaded concept to begin with).

However, I think the original post was fine. To me, it was making fun of the trend of mispelling the word in this particular way, rather than making fun of the individuals. I see it as similar to the alot monster.

Alan Robertshaw

Hi David, and thanks for that.

Just to let other Mamotheers know, we’ve discussed in some emails why I perhaps have a bit of a hair trigger on this particular issue and I completely accept that David doesn’t mean any harm or to mock anyone other than our MRA friends.

So carry on mocking MRAs. Remember Feminsits, you have nothing to lose but your chairs.

Pandapool -- The Species that Endangers YOU (aka Jackie; currently using they/their, he/his, she/her pronouns)

Making fun of people just because they might not have perfect English literacy is bad enough (you challenge the argument, not the way it’s presented) but this particularly rankles because such letter transposition is one of the symptoms of dyslexia and related conditions.

This is just the written version of mocking so

I’m with Alan on this one. The only people you should make fun of people with messed up grammar are the people who constantly correct grammar or people who make a grammar mistake when correcting you. That’s the only time it’s right.

Feminsit: a feminist who sits around eating bon-bons?
Femonist: a feminist who is also a demon?

But also, I’m a femonist.

EDIT: Ah, people seems to have been talking about this but my point still stands.

But leave the thermos behind.

Lest you end up like Marco Rubio.

WeirwoodTreeHugger
WeirwoodTreeHugger

Off topic post incoming!

Sarah Palin’s son Track has been charged with domestic violence

Anyone surprised?

Alan Robertshaw

@ pandapool

or people who make a grammar mistake when correcting you.

He, wasn’t that me with you the other night? 🙂

#whoneedsfullstopsanyway

Alan Robertshaw

@ rabid rabbit

Apologies to any triangle players out there

I used to play triangle in a reggae band. I didn’t do much. I just used to stand at the back and ting.

Lea
Lea

My daughter is slim and stacked and beautiful. She wears bikinis and so does her fat mom and we love each other. Both feminists. My ex? He’s a feminist. Her bf? Feminist. Our friends? Feminists. We can even spell the word and some of us are dyslexic.

Feminists are not all alike. We don’t hate each other. Sorry/not sorry, misogynists who stalk this site. We’re actually enjoying each other’s company. I bet you wonder what that’s like.

Kat
Kat

@WWTH
Am I surprised that Track Palin was arrested for domestic violence?

But I am a sophisticate. I’ve been around the block a few times. Other things that don’t surprise me (at least not anymore):

The sun rising
The sun setting
My cats complaining about their food (inadequate, tiny portions, boring, been sitting on their saucers too long, and so on)

weirwoodtreehugger

I just called Bailey (the dog) a feminsit. She wagged her tail and licked my face. To be fair, she probably would have done that no matter what I said to her. Still, I choose to believe that the female dogs are in on the ebil feminsit conspiracy too. We already knew the cats were on our side. Katie will be thrilled to learn I’ve been able to confirm that the dogs are with us too.

Kat
Kat

Re women who work in mines:

Here’s the book that the film, North Country (starring Charlize Theron, whose mother was a victim of domestic violence and who herself recently dumped Sean Penn, known domestic abuser–you go, Charlize!) is based on:

And here’s a review of the book; I found this review on the same Amazon page that has the book:

A collaboration between a journalist and a lawyer, this volume describes in elaborate detail the tortuous path of the first class-action sexual harassment lawsuit, Jenson v. Eveleth Mines. In 1975, the Minnesota mine hired its first four women as the result of a consent decree; Lois Jenson took one of the jobs. Subjected to disgusting and relentless sexual harassment, Jenson went in turn to the company, the union, the state department of human rights, and finally, in 1988, to private counsel. With Title VII expert Paul Sprenger at the helm, the case took another 11 years, as the company’s attorneys waged an intense “nuts and sluts” defense, a strategy that cost the mine $15 million. Although ultimately vindicated, the complainants suffered not only from harassment but from the brutalizing process of the litigation. Jenson herself became disabled by stress from the harassment, the hostility of female co-workers, the length of the legal process, and the invasive interrogations connected with the claim for damages. Excessive detail, compelling though it is, diminishes the book’s utility. Recommended for large public and academic libraries. Cynthia Harrison, George Washington Univ., Washington, DC

He, wasn’t that me with you the other night? 🙂

#whoneedsfullstopsanyway

It happens surprisingly a lot, tbh.

Lea
Lea

Women do all the jobs they claim we don’t and we do it with harassment and sexism. The saying my carpenter friend hated but heard frequently was, “If it was easy, women and n-words would do it”, while she did it.

Another friend got called “Hot pussy” and humped from behind. She worked at a barge company.

I have ex in-laws who work re-shingling church towers on ropes and boards. Grandmas dangle in the hot KY summer and work all day.

I recently saw a farm wife wrestle a professional fighter to the ground and pin him.

We ain’t called the home of beautiful horses and wild women for nothin.

weirwoodtreehugger

IMPORTANT UPDATE!

I just commanded Bailey to “feminsit!” and she sat.

PRAISE BE TO KATIE!!! FEMINSIT INDOCTRINATION COMPLETE!!!

What animal should we bring into the feminsit fold next? I submit raccoons and crows. Raccoons can infiltrate any garbage can. This is useful because they can retrieve used condoms for spermjacking purposes. Crows and other corvids are very intelligent. Crows are pervasive even in urban environments. Because they fly, they are useful for spying into the windows of teh menz and gathering vital intelligence for us.

Sorry. I’m having way too much fun with this and it’s probably not entertaining to anyone but me.

Kat
Kat

@Lea

And that quality of enjoying each other’s company — and all the good stuff it’s based on — have kept the world alive.

Of course, men have these qualities too.

But the people in the MRM? They’re totally jealous.

Kat
Kat

Ignore what the author says about roommates. She (Mary Elizabeth Williams) is actually very cool and not at all a classist person.

Lea
Lea

When I think of the laughs I have with my feminist friends and how dull mrms are, I almost feel sorry for them.

Scaly Llama

Remember Feminsits, you have nothing to lose but your chairs.

Are they hard chairs?

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

Hard chairs are misandry!

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden

@WeirwoodTreeHugger

No, I’m not surprised about Track. Wonder how Mama Grizzly will spin this latest less-than-positive story about her family.

Thank goodness this country dodged that bullet in 2008. I cannot imagine her as the VP.

authorialAlchemy
authorialAlchemy

I’m not sure if “feminsits” is a typo or they’re trying to call us lazy.

weirwoodtreehugger

I don’t know if anyone wants or needs an update on the Palin case, but Gawker now has the whole police report up.

TW for description of DV

It looks like he punched his girlfriend and manipulatively threatened suicide. This part was the most chilling to me

911 dispatch also received a call from Track Palin, informing them that the woman who had previously called them was drunk.

He sounds like an experienced abuser to me. This is really manipulative. He’s already anticipating that he can sell law enforcement, the courts, and the media on the notion that is girlfriend is drunk and crazy. I’m sure there’s going to be a lot of people claiming that he’s probably a good person who just lost his temper. It doesn’t sound like that to me. He sounds like a manipulator and a gaslighter to me.

Link

Luzbelitx

OMG thank you so much for this post!! I can’t stop laughing!

Also hi, my electricity company left me with no power for three days, meaning the electric pump did not work and I was out of water as well ¬¬

I’m glad I survived to read this.

Petrovna
Petrovna

I get it. Feminsits hate to see women in bikinis because feminsits just want to walks around topless in public!

msexceptiontotherule
msexceptiontotherule

I’m looking for a few (hundred) good squirrels! Still having the s/o continue training raccoons; his last report from the field stated that they were breaking into homes and hiding in crawl spaces, a group fight over garbage had broken out but this had mostly ended since a large part of the raccoon contingent had gotten bored and smelled cat food on an old lady’s porch.

@Luzbelitx

Argh! Loss of electricity sucks, and longer periods of it (days) means throwing out a bunch of food. Here we at least get credit from the power company for their failure to provide their customers with electricity. 🙂 Hope your electric company is at least that decent.