#gamergate antifeminism drama kings milo twitter

Delusional Jackasses Petition White House to Demand Return of Milo Yiannopoulos’ Blue Checkmark

This is what Milo Yiannopoulos fans really believe
From Twitter. This is what Milo Yiannopoulos fans really believe.

Today, in things that actually happened:

1) A fan of right-wing “journalist” and #GamerGate panderer Milo Yiannopoulos has set up a White House petition to demand that Obama “issue a statement demanding the restoration of Milo Yiannopoulos’s Twitter verification badge.”

According to the petition, Twitter’s removal of the little blue verification badge from Milo’s account  — a Twitter perk given to a teensy fraction of its users — means that it is “effectively declaring war on libertarian and millennial voices by punishing the outspoken commentator for his views.”

2) Meanwhile, on Twitter, the subject of all this drama — who still retains all his posting privileges on the social media platform — has been complaining “jokingly” that David Bowie’s death has drawn attention away from his plight.

Happily, the petition did not get 2000 signatures in those two hours, or at all. As I write this, the petition stands more than 98,000 signatures short of the 100,000 needed for the White House to even officially notice it.

Rest in Peace, David Bowie. And go to hell, Milo.

ikanreed
ikanreed

Got to love someone who’s idea of free speech is the government telling a private website what to say about its users.

Ghost Robot
Ghost Robot

Sucks when people can’t tell the difference between “famous” and “internet famous.”

LeftWingFox
LeftWingFox

Well, I suppose if you believe feminists are destroying your life, and David Bowie is stealing your thunder by dying, it makes perfect sense that the all-powerful government that does nothing right ever can get tell a private company to reverse it’s policies.

Because you are the dense centre of your own little universe. A super-massive black hole from which no illumination escapes.

Tara the Antisocial Social Worker
Tara the Antisocial Social Worker

It may be a coincidence, but the ad I got with this post showed President Obama laughing himself silly.

Ghost Robot
Ghost Robot

I often struggle to discern whether Milo’s monstrous self-absorption is genuine, or a carefully contrived act. And then I think of Donald Trump and get depressed.

ultimateprotagonistnerd
ultimateprotagonistnerd

Obama: “what the fuck is a Milo Yiannapolis?

Spaceman
Spaceman

Leda Atomica

He was SO the kid who would run to the closest adult and demand they make you give him all your candy. After he ate all his own candy.

Not only that but he would then complain (because you ate all of the good candy already) and throw a tantrum until the adult went out special to buy him more. Then he would hug the adult and smile at you while giving you the finger.

———

Milo feels like he looked at Ann Coulter and tried to be the tech world’s version of her. Someone who understands they are only popular and discussed when they are being horrible. So they have to double down on it. Except he lacks the talent to pick things that most people care about. He had one bout of popularity with GG and that is failing. So he wades into stupid things like this.

I doubt he cares at all about the checkmark. But it is another thing this week to keep his Breitbart blog’s traffic numbers up so he meets his weekly quota. Next week he will magically find something else to get his fans angry about to continue the click train.

Spaceman
Spaceman

Ghost Robot

I believe he like Trump, Rush, Coulter, Hannity, Savage and many others who love to revel in the anger and hate crowd – they are playing a character. I would not be surprised at all to find one or more of them to personally believe the exact opposite of what they say to the public. Like I would honestly not be surprised if one of them actually voted for Obama. But when they step in front of that microphone, their wrestling persona takes over. Think of it that way and it is a lot less depressing.

Now saying all that – I could be entirely too naive about how horrible some people can be.

davidknewton

I’ve said before that he’s like The Sixth Sense, except he’s walking around not realizing he’s a total bastard.

I don’t even understand why they pulled that blue checkmark from him – I’d certainly want some sort of sign saying “Yes, this person really is that prick, stay away from him”.

Mortarius
Mortarius

Libertarianism has to be the most useless ideology in terms of the sheer number of professed adherents who drop it’s most basic precepts at the first sign of trouble; challenge; or god forbid, gaining any real power.

I suppose that’s because libertarianism serves the interests of the already powerful and privileged so a greater number of it’s adherents only follow it because it provides wider justification for pursuing what would otherwise be naked self-interest in politics.

Bina

In other news, Abraham Lincoln’s last words said to have been “Milo Yiannapoulis is a wretched cockgoblin”.

I can well believe that.

I’m thinking of starting a petition to get Obama to pants Milo. Preferably in public with live media coverage. Obama’s on his ‘don’t give a fuck’ tour, so I’m sure he’d be up for that.

Wedgies for Milo! Internet, do your stuff.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ tesformes

Scientists need to remember “no bucks, no Buck Rogers”. We let them get away with sidelining Pluto and Brontosaurs but if they want any more public funded grant money they should give us Lemmium! 🙂

(I’m very happy for Rosalind to get one of the other new elements)

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

“Brontosaurus” wasn’t “Sidelined,” it was an Apatosaurus skeleton with a Camarasaurus skull glued on top because Marsh cared more about winning the Bone Wars than about being a non-shitty palaeontologist. =P

*temporarily loses all sense of humour because nerrrd*

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

If it doesn’t involve glue and dynamite it’s not paleontology! 🙂

Edward Drinker Cope FTW!

There’s a book though who’s protagonist (a ballet dancing dinosaur) is called Brontosaur Apatasaurus so I’m willing to compromise that way.

AsAboveSoBelow
AsAboveSoBelow

… “effectively declaring war on libertarian and millennial voices by punishing the outspoken commentator for his views.”

Kale
Kale

Unfortunately, David Bowie may not be the man we idolize. He has been accused of assault.

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

Terrabeau
I mean deport the pr*** to an island where there are no people or animals.

Kale
I’m not surprised with these celebrities anymore.

Spaceman
Spaceman

Milo seems to be one of those people who walk into a restaurant looking for things to argue about so they get a free meal. Then write notes on the tip section like “$0, get a real job” while hitting publish on his most recent article complaining how lazy the current generation of restaurant servers are for not meeting his every single need.

I would not be surprised if he has at one point in his life said to a server “I am deathly allergic to anything red” and then complained when the server did not bring ketchup with his burger.

raysa
raysa

Sevenofmine:

Not that you were speaking to me, but I am guessing that you were. Since I said I hate twitter and find it stupid.

I don’t hate it because I am privileged. Would that be white privilege you speak of? That’s the only privilege I have, so I am guessing it is my white privilege that makes me hate twitter.

I’m allowed to hate twitter, and you are allowed to hate that I hate it, but that’s about it.

Twitter may be a valuable medium. I still think it’s stupid. I hear about all kinds of things via you tube, blogs, etc., a million places. If that info gets to places where I see it because of twitter, great.

But I still don’t like twitter. Thanks for letting me know it’s because privilege.

Eitan
Eitan

they do realize that Twitter is not owned by the White House. Right?

Seraph4377
Seraph4377

I disagree. When someone says and does the horrible things that these people say and do, it should be because they truly believe in them. It’s like that line from Dog Day Afternoon: “The guy who kills me…I hope he does it because he hates my guts, not because it’s his job.”

The idea that people would cause so much harm to so many people for money is much more depressing to me than the idea that they do it because they really believe the shit they say.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

@Eitan

Ah, but you see, both Twitter and the White House are owned by DA JOOOZ.

… No, seriously, that’s what these twits actually believe.

sevenofmine
sevenofmine

@ raysa

Re-read my comment for comprehension and get back to me.

dhag85
dhag85

When the internet was invented
People: “It’s just a bunch of people talking about what they had for lunch!”
Later: “Oh, wait.”

When blogs were invented
People: “It’s just a bunch of people talking about what they had for lunch!”
Later: “Oh, wait.”

When podcasts were invented
People: “It’s just a bunch of people talking about what they had for lunch!”
Later: “Oh, wait.”

When Twitter was invented
People: “Okay, I was wrong before, but THIS is JUST a bunch of people talking about what they had for lunch.”
Later: “Fucking hell.”

Ddog
Ddog

I think twitter can be useful. I personally don’t use it because the one time I tried I got too confused and just never tried again. On the other hand Milo and his cohorts are not useful. Confusing too but I will never try them.
In short….twitter once… Milo never 😛

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

“declaring war on libertarian and millennial voices”

Well, if other millennials feel more secure about speaking out on social media now that Twitter has sanctioned one of the main purveyors of hateful rants, then it’s actually a net win for freedom of speech. How many people were bullied and silenced over GG?

As for libertarian voices, I doubt this is going to have the slightest impact on the yammering. It’s impossible to silence people who believe no one else matters but them.

Scildfreja
Scildfreja

re: DINOSAURS!

No no no! Brontosaurus is a thing again! Or, is a class of things! A giant-stomping-thunder-lizard class of things!

Children rejoice! Brontos are reeeeeeeaaaalll!

😀

Moggie
Moggie

Spaceman:

Why is that less depressing? What matters about these demagogues is not so much that they’re vile, but more that their vileness finds support among many people. I doubt whether Trump has personally assaulted any Mexicans, or torched any mosques, but he’s firing up a large number of belligerent idiots who would be prepared to do just that.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ Moggie

“who will rid me of this turbulent priest?”

And we know how that turned out.

Spaceman
Spaceman

@Moggie and @Seraph4377

My intention came out poorly through bad word choice on my part. Sorry.

I agree with you that people willfully manipulating folks for their monetary and social gain is worse.

What I tried to get across (very poorly) was that it is likely these people do not truly believe what they say. That if they ever came to true power, their facade and character would likely fall to the wayside for their sincerely held beliefs.

But reading through that thought process now it seems really shallow and naive of me to say. I still do believe most of them are complete fictional characters. But that actually making things better is clearly not true.

Sue
Sue

I hope Milo’s new account turns out to be an SJW/FBI honeypot, tricking Gamergaters into releasing their real names and addresses to the government via petition.
I mean, how do you know its really Milo? Huh? He doesn’t even have a blue checkmark.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

I believe the canonical WHTM deportation destination is Snake Island, where the locals would welcome any newcomers with open arms, if they had arms.

Drifting further off-topic, but I just had flash through my mind a memory of a little animated short called ‘Snake Theater’ from one of the big animation festivals back in the late 80s or early 90s.

“Next week, Snake Theater presents, The Seven Samurai!” Switch to a view of a stage with seven snakes on it, all wearing samurai helmets, with swords lying next to them because they don’t have any hands to hold them. One snake looks pointedly down at the sword, then goes, “What are we supposed to do with these?”

nparker
nparker

@ sevenofmine

Re-read my comment for comprehension and get back to me.

Um, no, that was pretty much what you said. Like here:

It’s not your thing? Fine. It certainly has plenty of problems in terms of how it deals with harassers that need to be fixed. But it takes a special kind of privileged obliviousness to dismiss it as bunch of people you don’t know spouting worthless drivel into the ether.

It just had a hint of strawmanning about it, too, I find.

@ Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

During the Bone Wars perhaps, but we still mustn’t ignore that Marsh was one of the greats of palaeontology before such squabbles (for the benefit of people who had never heard of him!) He’s still very much a hero of the field.

raysa
raysa

Sevenofmine :

Nparker said what I was going to, probably better than I could.

I comprehend just fine. Your point was crystal clear to pretty much everyone with the ability to read.

You have a good night.

dhag85
dhag85

@nparker

Not really trying to butt in here, but raysa did say, for example:

“At best, twitter is redundant.” (Not “redundant, for ME”.)

“All this media that is referred to as social is actually the opposite. It’s like standing in a room full of people, and talking loudly about yourself” (That’s “all”, not “parts of” or “most of”.)

They also said they “hate” twitter. Not that they “hate using twitter”, or “hate aspects of twitter”, but they hate twitter itself.

This is pretty dismissive, considering twitter has undoubtedly been useful in certain ways. The sentiment is, since I personally can’t think of a way in which X has helped ME, X must be stupid and I hate X.

I don’t think it’s strange to suspect this attitude comes from privilege.

EDIT: Maybe I should’ve adressed this to raysa. I didn’t see the most recent comment before I wrote this. I’m off to bed and can’t respond any more in (probably) a few days, so I apologize if this comes across as a hit & run. Wasn’t meant that way.

raysa
raysa

Oy, ok, I wasn’t saying I HATE TWITTER AND EVERYONE SHOULD HATE IT BECAUSE IT DOESN’T HELP MEMEMEME!!!

I was speaking only about my feelings about twitter. Not for anyone else.

Having Internet access is a privilege that I couldn’t afford for a very long time. And now it’s from privilege that I don’t like twitter? Talk about nit picking and overkill.

But, I will just go ahead and say that I am a privileged asshole for hating twitter (only for me, not speaking for a group here). Maybe then we can all move on from my massive privilege.

You know, if you don’t like Twitter, you could just not use it.

dhag85
dhag85

@raysa

I honestly think you’ve completely missed the point of sevenofmine’s comment. You said in your original comment that Twitter is just people talking about themselves and what they had for lunch, thus minimizing actual important stuff that has been made possible by Twitter. If that’s not what you meant to say, then fine. But others can only react to what you did say.

Also, privilege is not all or nothing. You can still have white privilege while being poor, male privilege while being gay, etc. This really shouldn’t be news.

And now I really am going to bed. Sorry. :/

EDIT: OK, katz really said it all there. If this is truly just about you not liking Twitter, then… just don’t use it. I don’t like basketball but I bet you had no clue about it until just now.

Kat
Kat

Everybody here has a valid point to make about Twitter.

It’s really useful.

And it’s really trivial.

(Kind of like books and magazines and movies and TV and the Internet.)

Nobody’s trolling here.

PS: Raysa, I’m sorry your feelings were hurt.

nparker
nparker

@ dhag85

My point, though, was that sevenofmine did indeed say what raysa said they did, but sevenofmine basically denied it.

“I don’t think it’s strange to suspect this attitude comes from privilege.”

That wasn’t my point though- whether it is strange or not is immaterial. What I find strange is that sevenofmine denied saying what they did actually say. Raysa was responding with actual points, and sevenofmine simply claimed, condescendingly, something about reading comprehension, without actually saying anything else at all.

Raysa also makes a good case. Twitter very well may be redundant, but whether or not it is isn’t what I was saying about. Claiming someone is obviously privileged because they express an opinion one disagrees with is never helpful, especially when raysa rose some perfectly valid points that were outright steamrolled not by a response, but with an insult that specified that raysa had not presented the point correctly when they had (as a quick glance back shows.)

I also, should maybe be addressing this to others. Same with me too, I don’t want to come across as a sort of hit and run!

nparker
nparker

Wow, ok. First off, ‘just don’t use it then’ is not helpful in any way. It doesn’t address anything, and is rather dismissive.
Its a way to shut down any and all criticism.

If I complain about, say, gratuitous swearing in an episode of Doctor Who, a family show, would anyone here be saying ‘just don’t watch it then?’

@ Kat

I agree- everyone has a valid point to make about Twitter, and I think some of us seem to be forgetting that.

ColeYote
ColeYote

Like the White House would do anything even if it did get 100k signatures. Internet petitions are a fucking joke.

raysa
raysa

This becoming about me is making me really uncomfortable. I got irritated at the response that my reading comprehension was off and I then addressed the insult. I don’t appreciate being indirectly called stupid, and I couldn’t let that go by.

I just offered an opinion, apparently very unpopular and not welcomed. I think I am allowed to dislike lots of things and not be called privileged because of it. I just can’t believe that if I don’t like something, don’t use it, that it’s some kind of privilege. That’s overkill. TO BE CLEAR, only speaking for me, not saying that things I dislike should be eradicated because ME.

I consider myself to be very sensitive to the privileges that I do have. To have it inferred that I am too stupid to read AND to stupid too recognize privilege is really insulting.

Anyway, thanks to Kat and Nparker for seeing my point. It’s appreciated.

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden

Talk about first world problems. Sheesh!

As if our President doesn’t have so many more pressing issues to deal with than this silliness.

Freemage
Freemage

Totally off-topic:

Victorious Parasol: I keep meaning to ask, are you by any chance a fan of Gail Carriger?

Eitan
Eitan

@scented fucking hard chairs

I was to be honest looking at whtm even before I started commenting. And yes I know that these shmucks are pretty anti semetic.

Huggbees
Huggbees

You know, at this point I pity Milo. I mean it’s sad enough that he a grown man is throwing a tantrum like a 5 year old over this but asking a President he clams to hate to help him? I mean damn also way to keep it classy with all those David Bowie tweets dude, well done.

anon
anon

They say that they’re opposing twitter because twitter “declared a war on libertarians,” so they’re demanding that the government uses “forceful coercion that is coercive force” to make the private business change their policy?

That’s just perfect.

Josh
Josh

Whenever I hear people say stuff like that Twitter is nothing but drivel, or that social media is nothing but drivel, it always comes off just as “It’s different from my youth, so it’s stupid!” To me.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

Did any other Britain-based mammotheers notice how cold it’s suddenly gotten since Yiannopoulos lost his tick? We may need to do something before he ends up unleashing the White Walkers on us.