#gamergate antifeminism drama kings milo twitter

Delusional Jackasses Petition White House to Demand Return of Milo Yiannopoulos’ Blue Checkmark

This is what Milo Yiannopoulos fans really believe
From Twitter. This is what Milo Yiannopoulos fans really believe.

Today, in things that actually happened:

1) A fan of right-wing “journalist” and #GamerGate panderer Milo Yiannopoulos has set up a White House petition to demand that Obama “issue a statement demanding the restoration of Milo Yiannopoulos’s Twitter verification badge.”

According to the petition, Twitter’s removal of the little blue verification badge from Milo’s account  — a Twitter perk given to a teensy fraction of its users — means that it is “effectively declaring war on libertarian and millennial voices by punishing the outspoken commentator for his views.”

2) Meanwhile, on Twitter, the subject of all this drama — who still retains all his posting privileges on the social media platform — has been complaining “jokingly” that David Bowie’s death has drawn attention away from his plight.

Happily, the petition did not get 2000 signatures in those two hours, or at all. As I write this, the petition stands more than 98,000 signatures short of the 100,000 needed for the White House to even officially notice it.

Rest in Peace, David Bowie. And go to hell, Milo.

raysa
raysa

As a person that thinks twitter is maybe the stupidest thing ever, I find this hilariously stupid.

At best, twitter is redundant. At worst, there is shit like this.

All this media that is referred to as social is actually the opposite. It’s like standing in a room full of people, and talking loudly about yourself. How is this social? Do you care what I had for lunch? What my favorite movie is? What my relationship status is? No? Well, I am not shocked because I don’t care about theirs, either.

So, milo is missing the check mark by his name. Doesn’t make his spiel any less hatey. So much stupid.

brian
brian

jesus fucking christ.

I’m not sure there’s anything else to say.

Sweaty Examination Goblin
Sweaty Examination Goblin

My God… if he purports to speak for “millennial voices”, suddenly all those horrid articles about how “You don’t believe how sensitive and touchy these Millenial students are!” start to make a lick of sense. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a group of people more whiny and quick to upset than the alt-right.

Somehow, I don’t think historians will look back and think that Milo was the voice of a generation. A serviceable villain, perhaps…

Fang
Fang

@Sweaty Examination Goblin

Historians will not look back on Milo. They will OVERLOOK Milo, he’ll be just another sad crank and weirdo unless he does something with his life.

Pandapool -- The Species that Endangers YOU (aka Jackie; currently using they/their, he/his, she/her pronouns)

David Bowie’s last words said to have been “Feminism is cancer”

Hey, Ben, that’s libel. Guess people gonna sue Twitter over that.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw
C.S.Strowbridge
C.S.Strowbridge

“Rest in Peace, David Bowie. And go to hell, Milo.”

This needs to repeated over and over again.

Saphira
Saphira

“The government’s too big! The government intrudes into our privates affairs too much! The government needs to be smaller! What? Milo’s verification on Twitter was revoked? Government! Make Twitter give it back!”

@Alan

Oh my god, this petition must pass. For the love of all that is metal, it must come to fruition.

msexceptiontotherule
msexceptiontotherule

So….these people think that the White House has so little else to do that they’re going to care one iota about getting Milo’s twit verification back?

We know he’s a twit, all this nonsense has verified it! No further verification needed!

Scaly Llama
Scaly Llama

Where’s the petition to restrain Milo from EVER sullying David Bowie’s songs by attempting to perform them?! Hmm?

weirwoodtreehugger

David Bowie’s last words said to have been “Feminism is cancer”

comment image

I’m on the cusp between gen X and millennial. If Milo represents millennials, I remain steadfast in identifying more as an Xer.

This sad, pathetic petition kind of reminds me of when indoor/outdoor cats get annoyed with their humans because it’s snowing or raining. Even if the President gave two shits about precious lil’ Milo’s blue checkmark, what exactly is he supposed to do about it? Sign an executive order guarantee Milo (who isn’t even an American) permanent blue checkmark status. If the President Obama grants wishes, maybe I’ll ask him to make my favorite pizza joint give me free pizzas for life. Anything else would be oppression!

Apologies to cats everywhere for the comparison. I’m sure Dracarys will puke in my bed while I’m sleeping tonight or something. Cats are allowed to be entitled and delusional. They’re cats and we are their lessers and have to accept their punishments and proclamations. Not so with Milo.

Leda Atomica
Leda Atomica

He was SO the kid who would run to the closest adult and demand they make you give him all your candy. After he ate all his own candy.

I need him to not say Bowie’s name. Ever.

Leda Atomica
Leda Atomica

And… err… millenials? Am I the only one who thought he was… older? Like a lot older. That’s why I was always creeped out by his followers being kids. Admittedly the only pictures I’ve seen of him are posted here with the added filters. But still, if he sat in my table at lunch I’d think “Who’s the narc sitting next to me at lunch?”

Not that I do ‘lunch’ anymore, I’m pushing 30 myself.

weirwoodtreehugger

Also, the irony of these “libertarians” petitioning big government when a private company does something they don’t like is just, delicious.

Bina

How come David Bowie is verified, @twitter? HE’S FUCKING DEAD

Aaaand THAT’s why you don’t have a widdle blue checkmark, you fucking drama llama. The late, great David Bowie was for real, and you’re not.

And frankly, if I ran Twitter, I’d flush you like the turd you are.

Bina

IF THIS PETITION GETS 2,000 SIGNATURES IN THE NEXT 2 HOURS I WILL SING A BOWIE SONG LIVE ON A YOUTUBE STREAM

Oh, GOODIE. <– heavy sarcasm

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie

I thought the government was over run by feminists and sjws? What makes them think the government will help them?

Also can we have a petition to kick Donald Trash out of the White House or better yet kick him out of the U.S.?

Tessa
Tessa

Pandapool

Hey, Ben, that’s libel. Guess people gonna sue Twitter over that.

Dangit, that’s exactly what I was going to say!

@Tessa
comment image

Too slow, Kokomo.

Too. Slow.

Huh, I though I stopped it in time before it posted.

LOL

Cerulean (Miss A)
Cerulean (Miss A)

How come David Bowie is verified, @twitter? HE’S FUCKING DEAD

Fuck you, Milo. Take a seat, shut the hell up, and learn it’s not all about you. You had your chance, and you pissed all over it. Guess what? You don’t get another chance. Get used to it.

Drednought
Drednought

A libertarian demanding government intervention in the actions of a private corporation. Is there irony in that or is it hypocrisy?

Snow Leopard
Snow Leopard

Rest in Peace, David Bowie. And go to hell, Milo.

Very true.

Holy shit, this guy is vile raw sewage scum. Get over yourself, Milo, you ginormous anal sore. It’s just a fucking blue checkmark. Is this guy so conceited that he needs that thing beside his name to show how “important” he is? Wait, I already know the answer. Bye bye blue checkmark. Anita Sarkeesian still has hers. What a nice turn of events. Makes me happy and warm inside.

#MiloEstIncompétent

Paradoxical Intention

Bina | January 11, 2016 at 11:14 pm

Oh, GOODIE. <– heavy sarcasm

comment image

Here you go.

Do 2,000 people actually care enough to sign, though, that’s the question.

Cthulhu's Intern
Cthulhu's Intern

Trying to get the President to force a private company like Twitter to do something is SO libertarian of them, right?

AZ
AZ

So this is also a way to keep track of their actual numbers?

sevenofmine
sevenofmine

I’m really pretty over people using this stuff as an opportunity to superciliously declare their disdain for Twitter as a medium. Remember Ferguson Missouri? Baltimore? Every instance of police brutality over the last couple of years? You have Twitter to thank for the fact that these things are going viral.

There are tons and tons of super smart activists who don’t have platforms like Brietbart saying all kinds of incredibly valuable things on Twitter because it’s the one place on the internet where they have a real voice.

It’s not your thing? Fine. It certainly has plenty of problems in terms of how it deals with harassers that need to be fixed. But it takes a special kind of privileged obliviousness to dismiss it as bunch of people you don’t know spouting worthless drivel into the ether.

Shalimar
Shalimar

@Sweaty Examination Goblin

Thank you for that villain reference. I knew I had seen Milo before. He’s an evil henchman in that horrible 4th Austin Powers movie that thankfully exists only in my nightmares.

Scoots
Scoots

@Sweaty Examination Goblin:

I teach millennials. No, most of them are not like this, and I only say that because I’m sure that out there, there must be some who are. My students are mostly hard workers who have to balance school with a lot of work and sometimes a family as well.

Me too. There are loads of problems with the platform but the problem is not “social media exists.”

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

In my experience of libertarians, this is fairly standard. For all that they rail against government, they seem to expect it to wipe their asses for them.

Re Yianniopoulos:
I’m the same age as him and I identify as an older Millenial. I do not, however, believe that Twitter disrespects Millenials by un-blueticking him. The voice of his generation he most assuredly is not. For one thing, the voice of his generation would have more than 2000 lackeys.

Re Twitter:
SevenofMine makes an excellent point.

In my opinion, Twitter is an extremely democratic platform with a very low barrier to entry. That makes it very difficult to prevent previously-unheard voices from using it, and means that it inherently disrupts previous power relationships built upon limited access to information and to the ability to speak.

Downside of this? There’s no way to filter out the crap either. You get a lot of good but Sturgeon’s Law applies hard.

Eventually Twitter will institute anti-harassment tools. They can’t avoid it. It’ll be interesting to see whether these end up being used by law enforcement and moneyed interests to silence people.

snork maiden

Sheez, Matt Forney got banned all together and we didn’t see him kicking up this much fuss.

Milo Yiannopoulis; making Matt Forney look mature?

reimalebario
reimalebario

David Bowie’s last words said to have been “Feminism is cancer”

“Said to have been”.

In other news, Abraham Lincoln’s last words said to have been “Milo Yiannapoulis is a wretched cockgoblin”.

Ktoryx
Ktoryx

Imagine how small, boring, and pointless a life you would have to lead in order to care this much about something this stupid.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

David Bowie’s last words said to have been “Feminism is cancer”

“The problem with quotes on the internet is that you never know whether or not they’re real.” – Oscar Wilde

marinerachel
marinerachel

So, was that extraordinary image created by a Mi-lover of Milo-hater?

I’m trying to determine whether it’s ironically hilarious or sincerely so. Either way, I luff it.

Kat
Kat

Shouldn’t Milo and his fellow manospherians be manning up: keeping a cool head and a resolute jaw and a stiff upper lip?

I miss the strong, silent type of man’s man.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

I think Milo will never be a spationaut. No rocket will ever be able to lift both him and his ego at the same time.

(is megalomania in the list of ableist insult ? I don’t even know if it’s a disease in a medical sense)

rick
rick

This is such a tragedy. I am at a loss for words. The oppression this man is experiencing. Its just so very terrible. I am sobbing as I type.

Sheila Crosby

I don’t usually go in for schadenfreude, but I’m making an exception today.

Yeah, these people think “small government” means no protection for anybody except themselves. Silly little boy – like a two year old, stamping his foot and screaming orders at the adults.

Florkje
Florkje

In my country we even have a term for that: Fortuynisme, after a horrible politician of Trump-like horribleness.

It means: Wanting the government to not interfere in your business at all, while doing everything for you.

So, impossible and a true sign of stupidity. (Since you can have either/or)

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

I almost want this petition to reach the White House, because if the right sort of person drafts the response, we could be in for a deliciously elegant reply explaining why POTUS has better things to do than interfere with the management of Twitter.

OTOH, I’m glad we don’t have to suffer through Milo trying to sing a Bowie song.

AJ Milne
AJ Milne

I sense a picayune disturbance in The Farce. As though yet another tired, eminently forgettable embarrassment to our species with a hilariously overly-inflated sense of self importance and his smallish coterie of yammering followers were reminded yet again of the eye-rolling contempt their ongoing odiousness breeds even in the otherwise largely disinterested and automated bowels of technology businesses running prominent social media platforms, and responded with predictable, aggrieved yelping for a while, before returning to their more generic pattern of spamming, abuse, and exchanging extremely poorly thought-out, largely incomprehensible image macros…

(Well, possibly it was that. Might also have been gas.)

Terrabeau
Terrabeau

While I would love the poetic justice in him getting deported, it’s kind of like getting rid of dog shit in your yard by dumping it in your neighbor’s; your lawn will be shit free, but you’re going to screw up relations with the entire neighborhood for years to come.

tesformes
tesformes

Sadly, the Lemmy thing isn’t going to happen. IUPAC requires that elements be named after a region, a property of the element, a mineral that contains it, a mythological concept, or a scientist. I’m afraid Lemmy is going to have to wait in line behind a lot of great scientists who haven’t gotten the recognition they deserve.

Why not name an element after Rosalind Franklin? Rosalinium? Franklinium?

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

@Sheila Crosby:
Off-topic, which telescope is that?

Moggie
Moggie

Terrabeau:

I believe the canonical WHTM deportation destination is Snake Island, where the locals would welcome any newcomers with open arms, if they had arms.

GiJoel
GiJoel

I’m thinking of starting a petition to get Obama to pants Milo. Preferably in public with live media coverage. Obama’s on his ‘don’t give a fuck’ tour, so I’m sure he’d be up for that.

1 2 3