anti-Semitism antifeminism beta males bullying cuckolding entitled babies evil fat fatties evil SJWs harassment literal nazis misogyny MRA oppressed white men racism rape culture rape jokes reactionary bullshit the c-word twitter

Scenes from the ongoing Twitter debacle that is #JeSuisMilo

Found in the #JeSuisMilo hashtag on Twitter
Found in the #JeSuisMilo hashtag on Twitter

History repeats itself. In September 1939, Hitler launched World War II by blocking Poland on Twitter. In December 1941, the United States entered into the war after Japan subtweeted the American naval base at Pearl Harbor.

This past Friday, according to Breitbart, Twitter “declar[ed] war on conservative media” by taking away the little blue checkmark that used to run next to Breitbart “journalist” Milo Yiannopoulos’ name on Twitter, verifying that he is indeed the real Milo Yiannopoulos.

No, really. Here’s the headline of the piece that ran in Breitbart’s tech section on the terrible injustice done to young Mr. Yiannopoulos, who coincidentally just happens to run Breitbart’s tech section.

Twitter Declares War On Conservative Media, ‘Unverifies’ Breitbart Tech Editor Milo Yiannopoulos

Now, Milo hasn’t actually been banned from Twitter. Twitter simply informed him that “due to [his] recent violations of the Twitter Rules” — he’s a bit of a bully — they were taking away his little blue checkmark. So now he has to navigate Twitter without a little blue checkmark, like the overwhelming majority of Twitter users.

Naturally, Milo’s army of fans has responded to this terrible tragedy with wisdom and restraint.

JUST KIDDING! They’re crying bloody murder on Twitter and harassing anyone they can blame for Milo’s de-checkmarking.

Referencing a slogan formerly used to honor journalists and others literally murdered by terrorists, Milo’s Twitter fans launched the hashtag #JeSuisMilo. It was ugly

Here are some scenes from the ongoing debacle that is that hashtag.

Naturally, there were rape jokes.

In a variation on the old “I’m Spartacus” ploy, many of Milo’s fans pretended to be him. (The real Milo posts as @Nero)

It didn’t take long for the Milovians to find women to blame for Milo’s plight. Many — including some of the fake Milos — went after Huffington Post writer Jessie Thompson, who wrote a piece defending Twitter’s actions. Many of her, er, critics seem to be big fans of the c-word.

But she wasn’t the only woman to draw the fire of the Milovians. Some used the hashtag as an excuse to attack familiar #GamerGate targets.

Others — again, including some fake Milos — used the hashtag to promote their own agendas — some silly, some horrific, some a mixture of the two.

One fellow thought he knew the real reason feminists hate Milo.

A few even managed to work their “cuck” obsession into their Tweets.

You can tell something about writers by the fans they attract. Milo’ fans prove with every terrible tweet of their what a wretched bunch of bullies and bigots they are — and why Twitter needs to do more to crack down on the abuse that its platform enables.

Congratulations, Milo defenders, for own-goaling yourself so magnificently.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

If the blue check mark is simply a privilege than I would have no problem with twitter giving or taking them away for any reason whatsoever. But if the blue check mark is there to protect the identities of notable people, then I don’t think twitter should take that away for violating the T.O.S.

The blue check mark isn’t there to protect the identities of notable people. The blue check mark is there to protect brands, or more accurately to protect Twitter from being sued by the owners of those brands when people mischeviously impersonate them.

It also gets applied to humans, but if you look at Twitter’s FAQ on the subject it makes it plain that it’s there to protect “highly sought users in music, acting, fashion, government, politics, religion, journalism, media, sports, business and other key interest areas.” People with the money and the motivation to use lawyers in order to protect their brands, in other words.

They extended it to Yiannopoulos as a courtesy, and it got taken away again because he acted with discourtesy.

Now let’s discuss something more interesting: What are your motives for coming here and discussing this with us? You evidently feel extremely strongly about this topic, strongly enough to join a website you’ve never commented on before and will probably not remain on afterwards. This isn’t just a case of “someone is wrong on the internet”; this is the behaviour of someone who takes this personally.

Tell me about that, because that human factor is vastly more interesting than anything else you’ve said. Why do you take it personally? And why do you come here to discuss it, rather than (say) Breitbart, where Yiannopoulos’s fans can be found in greater number?

I will agree that this discussion has gone on way longer than I ever intended. I think you guys care more about taking the Blue tick away than I care about defending it.

Because nothing says “I really care about this conversation” like Bowie gifs.

comment image

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Annoyed Bowie does not approve of the sealion.

Kat
Kat

Ben Cohen must sleep, perchance to dream of a cogent response — or a stinging retort — to the question

What do you expect us to do about the fact that Twitter took away Milo’s blue checkmark?

@ Ben

To continue the pub landlord analogy.

Let’s say I misbehave in the pub. As a result the landlord says I’m no longer allowed to take part in lock ins (a privilege extended to a select few drinkers).

I’m outraged and think it would have been better to bar me. Well, the landlord will no doubt point out no one is forcing me to drink there.

So, if Milo believes losing his tick is too harsh and suspension would be more appropriate, he’s free to stop using Twitter.

Kat
Kat

@Alan Robertshaw
Analogies are misandry.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

I kinda wonder if “Why did Twitter unverify Milo when he broke more than enough rules to be permabanned?!” is really the smartest party line for Ben and his #Gater bros to push here…

I mean, sure, it does make Twitter look bad, but in the polar opposite direction to the way they want.

WeirwoodTreeHugger
WeirwoodTreeHugger

I see during my brief time asleep that Ben did not learn that we were not the ones who took Milo’s checkmark away.

Tessa
Tessa

Ben Cohen:

You and I could spot a badly constructed fake Charlie Sheen account with seven followers; I’m not sure I could spot a well done fake account with several hundred followers. Twitter instituted the blue tick for a reason, and it wasn’t to honor Milo or anyone else for being great people. They instituted the blue tick to protect the identity of notable people.

No, you are wrong. They didn’t institute the blue tick to protect the identity of notable people. From Twitter:

It’s a convenience to make it easier. EEEEEAAAASSSSIIIIEEEERRRRRR! It’s not protection. So comparing it to the secret service is ridiculously stupid. It’s a convenience, and a privilege.

As I said earlier, you are applying your own wishes to the blue check mark.

And this proves google is flawless? Then I guess nobody needs a blue-tick.

Correct! Nobody needs a blue tick! It’s a convenience. And twitter even offers alternatives methods to make it easier for people to confirm the authenticity of their twitter account:

Besides verification, how can I show my account is authentic?

Linking to your Twitter profile from an official website is the easiest way to confirm the authenticity of your Twitter account. Including Twitter’s follow button on your webpage is the absolute best way to do this. Click here to learn how. Or, visit all help articles about linking to your Twitter account from your blog or website here.

So see? Milo can do that and people will know his account is the real Milo.

Ben Cohen (again):

I also don’t get secret service protection. Celebrities are the target of all sorts of crap to a much greater degree than normal people, that is why twitter has this policy.

Nope, again, you are applying your own desires to twitter.

kupo
kupo

I did a search for Milo Yiannopoulos from the Twitter app and @Nero was the first hit *and* it was bolder in the search auto-fill suggestions, so Ben’s sole point is moot. Also, the second hit was @voxday so if Milo takes issue with being impersonated I’m sure he’ll report that account to Twitter and write an article denouncing that Twitter handle, right?

sunnysombrera
sunnysombrera

Well, Ben WAS concerned that Neo-Nazis would make Milo look bad…though somehow just associating with them isn’t enough to tarnish a reputation.

Paradoxical Intention

Ben Cohen | January 12, 2016 at 2:06 am
Paradoxical Intention,

What do you know? Googling “Charlie Sheen Twitter” gave me the real account on the first fucking result.

And this proves google is flawless? Then I guess nobody needs a blue-tick.

Holy shit, you actually do get it.

All I need to do is Google “[Celebrity’s Name] Twitter”, and their account will more than likely be the first one to pop up. Boom. Ignorance solved.

On top of that, more than one person has pointed out (myself included) that 98% of people on Twitter (myself included) manage to identify ourselves just fine without a blue check, and we pointed out ways that you can spot fake Twitter accounts as well.

You can lead a Ben to water, but you can’t make him shut up about how he’s supposed to drink it.

And what privileges does a verified account confer? If a verified account really were an endorsement from twitter than I would agree with you, but my understanding is that verified accounts are intended to protect the identities of notable people, in which case Milo does have a case.

For all that talk I just did about Google, I’d think you’d learn to use it.

Daft radish? When you say things like that it hurts my feelings…

Good night, it’s bedtime.

-Ben

What “protections” do you think the blue check mark offers to people, Ben? Because we’ve all pointed out why those “protections” are pretty much useless to anyone with any lick of social media savvy.

And if you can identify those “protections”, why do you think that Milo should have them or that taking them away is somehow a moral controversy?

Also, being “verified” on Twitter doesn’t mean you’re “notable” or “famous”, just that you have enough people to vouch for you to make Twitter go “Okay, your profile gets a special picture on it”.

I think we actually succeeded in driving him off. Good job, team.

comment image

nparker
nparker

Ben is basically like the little kid who, when his parents tell him, no, we don’t agree that you need sweets, will sit in the middle of the aisle constantly screaming ‘I want sweets! I need sweets!’ hoping that eventually, the parent will give in and agree.

Basically, he just repeats the same things over and over, sure that at some point everyone will just agree.

Ben, this doesn’t work.

NOBODY needs a blue check. No one at all. You do know people can get imposter accounts taken down, right? Except it likely doesn’t happen often, because- blue ticks are next to worthless.

Oh, Ben, strawman, really? Says the guy defending a manurespherian type.

(Off topic, but currently listening to Summertime Sadness by Lana Del Rey. Love it! Just so hypnotic, all of her songs really. Just ignore the not hostile, but rather odd opinions on feminism Lana Del Rey has come out with. Aaand now Gods and Monsters has come on. Cool!)

Ben Cohen
Ben Cohen

EJ,

What you more or less admit is that I am correct the main purpose for verification. It is to verify that a notable person, institution, or company is who they say they are. The argument is repetitive because people refuse to accept what is staring them directly in the face, you even admit it.

This is precisely what I have been saying. Twitter didn’t put it in place simply because the twitter CEO is a really, nice, helpful guy or gal, twitter is responsible for the content that they host. When people are spoofing celebrities and corporations, they could potentially be sued.

I also think twitter has a responsibility to protect the identities of famous people, (yes they have a responsibility to protect everyone’s identity but average people are not subject to the same level of threat).

To a large extent, we are our reputations, and when we are dead that is all that will be left. In this particular case Milo is encouraging his supporters to spoof him, but that doesn’t change how I feel about twitter’s decision.

What happened to Ben Garrison bothered me on a visceral level. Imagine if the Westboro Baptist Church created a fake twitter account with your name, and started posting homophobic screeds for lulz.

Twitter shouldn’t be treating identity protection as a privilege to be taken away for vague “terms of service” violations. Twitter never revealed what Milo did, specifically, to lose his verification.

One more thing that I find viscerally disturbing: People who treat any form of disagreement as trolling. My initial post was completely polite and civil, and for it I got called a troll. People who respond to disagreement that way are close-minded, stupid, and bigoted, and they piss me off. Do you like bigots? Because I don’t.

Alan Robertshaw,

To continue the pub landlord analogy.

A lockin is something the pub owner put in place for “preferred customers,” i.e. well-behaved regulars. Verification was put in place, as EJ pointed out, to protect the identity of corporations and famous people. So it isn’t simply a privilege, an endorsement, or an honorific.

“Twitter’s Faq: Why does Twitter verify accounts?
Verification is currently used to establish authenticity of identities of key individuals and brands on Twitter.”

As other’s have pointed out, verification is not an endorsement of content, as all sorts of grossly offensive material is “verified.” Twitter verifies celebrities to confirm their identities, which to some extent is the fulfillment of their legal responsibility.

-Ben

Pandapool -- The Species that Endangers YOU (aka Jackie; currently using they/their, he/his, she/her pronouns)

Hear that, EJ? Your name is so unique that it could ruin your reputation if the Westboro Baptist Church made a fake Twitter account in your name.

Man, imagine how John, Tim and Harry must feel about this.

comment image

Tessa
Tessa

Ben Cohen:

“Twitter’s Faq: Why does Twitter verify accounts?

-Ben

No no no, now you’re twisting things. Nowhere does it say it’s about legal responsibility or even to “confirm their identities” as a form of protection. You are hitting the realm of dishonesty here. They give the purpose right there in the FAQ as I posted earlier (and the answer to the very question after the one you quoted… How is that for being disingenuous?):

Twitter verifies accounts on an ongoing basis to make it easier for users to find who they’re looking for. We concentrate on highly sought users in music, acting, fashion, government, politics, religion, journalism, media, sports, business and other key interest areas. We are constantly updating our requirements for verification. Note, verification does not factor in follower count or Tweet count.

Hmmm

What was that?

to make it easier for users to find who they’re looking for.

Not as legal responsibility. If it was legal responsibility, they wouldn’t tell people not verified:

If you think you meet the criteria for verification and have not yet received a badge, please be patient. We are working within key interest areas to verify accounts that are sought after by other Twitter users. We don’t accept verification requests from the general public, but we encourage you to continue using Twitter in a meaningful way, and you may be verified in the future. Please note that follower count is not a factor in determining whether an account meets our criteria for verification.

See, it’s all for the benefit the users looking for person’s or brand’s account.
Be honest or go home.

Hambeast, Social Justice Beastie
Hambeast, Social Justice Beastie

I have been scrolling past Ben’s posts since yesterday, his magnificent herd of teal deer, impressive ability to sealion, and miss the point notwithstanding.

So now, I hereby proclaim that the best Bowie gif is the one with the kitten on his head!

David Bowie and kitten FTW!!

Also, nth-ing all the things people here have said to Ben, especially the suggestions that he go and complain at twitter instead of us.

weirwoodtreehugger

It seems Bowie isn’t sufficient sealion repellent. Maybe drag queens would work better?

comment image

Damn it, I spoke too soon. For Hambeast, here are some more Bowie kitten pictures.

comment image

Alan Robertshaw

I’m trying to post the picture used on “The Man Who Sold The World”. Obviously as a man I’m inherently brilliant at tech stuff and I’m certainly not struggling to do so because I’m incompetent, but I just thought I’d give one of the women a chance.

Any takers?

RosaDeLava
RosaDeLava

@-Ben
I’ll reiterate one part of EJ’s message that you didn’t respond to.

What are your motives for coming here

If you have an issue with Twitter’s policies, this website isn’t the right place to discuss the subject. If you complaints originate from an honest positions rather than support for Milo, you should be aware that coming here will do you no favors.

(And that’s why you are a troll 🙂 )

@Alan

Right click the image and click “Open Imagine in a New Window” – if you’re using Chrome. Just make sure what you’re posting ends with a .jpg, .gif, whatever and just copy and paste the URL.

EDIT: Let me post this thing I made awhile back.
comment image

That should be better.

Hi Pandapool

Cheers for that but I’m currently using an iPad (client got me it so I couldn’t have any more excuses for not responding to emails when I’m out and about) and it might as well work by spell casting.

Actually, if it was magic I might stand a chance. How can these things be so popular!

It is a great pic though if anyone can post it.

RosaDeLava
RosaDeLava

@ Rosa

I do indeed; thank you! 🙂

And cheers again to panda pool for all your help and digging out those instructions for me.

kupo
kupo

Well, for future reference, pressing a picture in browser on the tablet would act as right click, although I don’t know about whatever browser Apple products use.

RosaDeLava
RosaDeLava

@ kupo

And thanks to you too!

@ panda

It’s a version of Safari but if you hold down it just gives the option to save or copy the picture, but copying and pasting didn’t appear to work. I obviously suck at iPads, but being a bloke, only I suck, not every bloke 😉

kupo
kupo

@Alan

This may or may not help. I don’t have an iPad to verify the instructions work.

Tap and hold, and the 2nd option will be to open it in a new page. Tap that, and you’ll get a new window. Tap the URL bar, and Copy.

@ kupo

I’m clearly a lost cause, leave me behind, I’ll only slow the rest of you down. 🙂

NickNameNick
NickNameNick

comment image

Paradoxical Intention

To Ben:

I’m just not going to talk to you anymore, because the urge to drag your sorry, ignorant sealion ass is too great.

So, I will ignore the temptation today. Mostly because I’d be repeating myself, and mostly because I can sit back and watch everyone else do it for me.

comment image

Kat
Kat

@Ben Cohen

Now that you’ve had some rest, perhaps you can answer the question that we’ve posed many times:

NickNameNick
NickNameNick

I need to put my contacts in…
comment image

weirwoodtreehugger

I’m clearly a lost cause, leave me behind, I’ll only slow the rest of you down.

That’s not a very manly and alpha thing to say. Shouldn’t you be likening yourself to Gandalf heroically staying behind to fight the Balrog while the rest of us flee in terror, clutching our Bowie and drag queen gifs?

You

Us

comment image

@ WWTH

Well my masterplan was that I’d let you think I was dead and let you struggle on on your own. Then in the final act, when you’re all surrounded by the baddies and think there’s no hope, I’d miraculously appear over the horizon and save the day.

You’d all be so relieved and amazed you wouldn’t stop to think how I’d actually managed that until a few hours after the movie.

I’m guessing the part were it’s explained in the movie is from the extended cut.

Moocow
Moocow

First of all I must say that David Bowie is a goddamn inspiration. I wish I had that level of charisma. Also, I very much enjoyed listening to ‘The man who sold the world’ at the opening of MGS5.

Also I missed the sealion, but boy was this one predictable

Actually, no you didn’t. Literally everyone just said ‘No, you’re wrong’ or felt zero sympathy for Milo. In other words, no, people here do not treat “any form of disagreement as trolling”, they just disagreed with you. But when you said condescending shit like this:

Above perfectly exemplifies anti-intellectualism. You don’t like Milo, ergo you think that random trolls impersonating him is funny and cute. When someone points out the downside to encouraging this type of behavior, it makes your brain hurt and you tell them to leave.

then you got treated as a troll.

Not to mention, you are being treated far more nicely here than anywhere else on the internet. Try disagreeing with fans of Milo, see how well that works for ya

I’d like to call this “The Dean Esmay Defense”, for “I will call my ideological opponents bigots/misogynists/racists without bothering to look those words up in the dictionary. Checkmate Feminists!”

NickNameNick
NickNameNick

I even like how the mercenary group you manage are called the “Diamond Dogs.” 😀

Moocow
Moocow

Somehow my comment didn’t make it through, take 2!

@NickNameNick

Yes! And wow *dramatic feigned surprise*, there are so many David Bowie references throughout the series that he’s got his own page on the metal gear wiki!

Well, as long as he’s still here, at least I have an excuse to continue posting gifs.

comment image

NickNameNick
NickNameNick

Given part of it takes place in Afghanistan – I was expecting some mention of “Aladdin Sane” in there…

Kat
Kat

@Moocow

You showed up late but your point is a convincing one.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Did anybody else notice that Benny Boy only responded to the two people he knows are dudes and ignored the rest of us? Gee, I wonder where I’ve seen that one before.

Paradoxical Intention

@SFHC: He did respond directly to me once or twice. He just ignored the bulk of what I had to say.

User name subject to change
User name subject to change

I think taking away his tiny blue tick is great. It totally invalidates his online persona, diminishes his celebrity. I like it

User name subject to change
User name subject to change

And make no mistake Milo deserves zero validation . His career is a joke

Andzzz
Andzzz

Is anyone in the UK watching The Big Questions on BBC 1 right now, guest starring Milo?