Uncategorized

Forbes Hails Success of Star Wars Boycott In World Where Words Mean Their Opposite

So this tweet happened:

RoKdelusin

Hmm. I hate to challenge Return of Kings’ legendary factcheckers, but they seem to have made a teensy little mistake here. Forbes actually thinks that the Star Wars “boycott” championed by assorted Internet reactionaries and racists didn’t cost Star Wars any money.

One clue here is the headline to the Forbes post stating that the boycott “Didn’t Cost Star Wars Any Money.”

In the post itself, Forbes contributor Erik Kain declares that RoK’s “claims about just how much of an impact their, ahem, “balanced, critical reporting” has had on the film’s financial success” were “even more ludicrous” than their claims that “The Force Awakens is little more than social-justice-warrior propaganda.”

Just a little heads up here, Roosh: Words mean what they mean, not the opposite of what they mean.

Unless the person saying these words is being sarcastic. For example, I was being sarcastic above when I mentioned “Return of Kings’ legendary factcheckers.” Kain was not being sarcastic.

H/T — @leyawn

@ Bina

The Celsius scale, at least, is sensible in that it’s based on the boiling and melting points of water. 0 degrees = freezing, 100 = boiling

It was originally the other way round; seriously.

Bina

It was originally the other way round; seriously.

Heh…so it was. Not sure what the logic was, there, but oak hayyyyy…

@ Bina

I think it’s Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy that makes reference to a species whose calendar goes backward.

“Why this is remains unclear; but no-one is planning on being around when it finally reaches zero”

loquora
loquora

I looked at the comments on the Forbes article (there were only 5 when I looked, I assume they have good moderators) and the very first one was from someone saying that Return of Kings isn’t an MRA site. The author responded:

Whatever. They may not call themselves that but they’re advancing MRA thinking regardless.

I just want to give him a huge thumbs up for that. Thank you, Erik Kain, for not capitulating to the petty manosphere infighting BS.

EJ: About Sherlock, as they say, I wasn’t mad, but I was disappointed.

*SPOILERS*

If they’d just made it a fun “non-canon” episode that was set in the 19th century and gave no explanation for it, I’d be OK with that. But noooo, they had to work it into the existing continuity…the result being that the big mystery they spend most of the time on didn’t really happen, and they outright admit is just something Sherlock’s mind made up that wouldn’t have really worked that way. Left me feeling like “Well, that was a waste of my time.”

And it’s all they’re in the mind palace, now he’s awake, no JK he’s still in the mind palace, then at the end finally he’s awake and all the previous stuff was in the mind palace, fine…NO JK actually they’re in Victorian London and the whole thing was a story they were telling! Except actually it’s modern times outside!

It’s like they wanted to be clever and have a twist, but had no idea where the line was between “clever twist” and “random and incoherent.”

nparker
nparker

@ Dan Kasteray

Oh, dear God no. The idea that Steven Moffat is somehow this contemptible misogynist writer needs to die, seriously. It’s an accusation dreamt up by members of Reddits of dubious, hater-y nature that have never been able to say nice things, and are often rather hateful towards, Steven. They’re loud, it’s unfortunate.

He’s put some stuff that’s sexist in his work, but no more so than the next writer. It happens to most writers, because of the society we live in. His female characters have flaws, they’re sometimes damaged emotionally, but never do they give up and they usually save the Doctor rather than the other way around. (Amy is the coolest- she’s like, one or my favourite characters and, to me, very well written and likeable. And don’t get me started on Clara, possibly my fave companion.)

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

Alan:

With newspapers its generally Fahrenheit in Summer and Celsius (or ‘centigrade’ in old money) in Winter.

You Britons could have impressive numbers more easily if you just adopted a continental climate…

nparker
nparker

@ Arctic Ape

For a Briton, when it gets to the point when you visit Lapland in the middle of the snowy winter, call home and discover it’s colder in England than it is where you are, it’s a bit ridiculous!

(That actually happened to me when I was between primary and secondary school (or first year of secondary?) It was a particularly mild year, but still. Last year when I went, one journey down a tall hill to our cabin I needed no jumper. That was cool!)

WeirwoodTreeHugger
WeirwoodTreeHugger

Nparker,
There seems to be a few show runners who despite being no worse than other show runners, or even better than average, get this IMO unfair reputation as misogynists. I’m thinking mainly of Moffat, Joss Whedon, and Dan Benioff and David Weiss. It probably is a small minority of feminists, but they are very vocal.

There are problematic and sexist things in each of their shows and I have no problem with those things being criticized, but they’re mostly clueless white guy kind of problems that can be constructively criticized. I really don’t think it’s fair to treat them like they’re basically MRAs.

All of their shows have interesting and three dimensional female characters who contribute to the plot. That’s better than most shows. So I wonder why they get the most criticism? I think it might be because so many feminists are into geeky things so those show runners are the ones making the shows we watch.

I also think some people just have the tendency to criticize absolutely everything. I prefer to actually enjoy things once in awhile, so I can take note of an issue, but then move on.

dlouwe
dlouwe

I have to bite my tongue and not say “But what is that in REAL degrees?”

I never learned how to convert from F to BSc :/

Three Snakes

I really think this might be it (along with a certain amount of gaslighting of his followers by Valizadeh.) I’ve noticed for a while now that manospherians seem physically unable to reference sources outside their ideological bubble. They’ll quote Curtis “Mencius Moldbug” Yarvin on economics, Carl “Sargon of Akkad” Benjamin on history, or Derek Smart on law, despite those people not being respected in those fields. It’s not as if the internet isn’t flooded with information, but in the face of all of this knowledge they seem to prefer to retreat into a cocoon of ignorance and rely upon self-appointed gatekeepers to filter all the knowledge coming in.

I had the displeasure of meeting fascist misogynists who are just like this. (And no, I am not using “fascist” as a pejorative. They really are fascists.) One in particular would make up all sorts of pseudoscience conjectures but never support them with any current scientific data. The fascist misogynists (not just him in particular) never use science. At most they quote 19th century authors whose outdated ideas have long since been refuted, because they can’t actually rely on current science.

All these far right groups are cults. Even though they hate each other, they operate in very similar ways. It’s really creepy.

Pandapool -- The Species that Endangers YOU (aka Jackie; currently using they/their, he/his pronouns)

@WWTH

Of COURSE Rey is missing from the new SW stuff. She’s from a Disney franchise that isn’t part of the Disney Princesses Line. You know boys don’t like anything to do with girls so that’s why they only get toys without girls in them. Obvi.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Oh for fuck’s sake.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

I can’t speak for anyone but myself, and I have no opinion on the others, but my problem with Joss Whedon is that he needs to get over himself. His material is “better than most” but it’s not actually all that feminist, and yet he is held up (and holds himself up) as a feminist icon. He’s one of those not-particularly-feminist-guys who calls himself a feminist and expects to be crowned a movement leader. It’s really hard to escape the impression that he thinks this because: penis, which makes it equally hard for me to take anything he says seriously.

idahogie
idahogie

Roosh doesn’t even have Dewey’s excuse.

nparker
nparker

@ Pandapool

I think that’s really unfair, actually. The Monopoly board is only one in a sea of products for the new movie. I’ve seen Rey on a lot of merchandise for the new film. She’s already had several action figures for example. Disney have been progressing in their marketing of Non-Princess characters in regards to gender representation.

Bottom line is, Rey has been well served by Disney. Female characters have been in every Star Wars figure set in Disney Infinity, too- Ahsoka comes in the starter pack, Leia in the story-mode Original Trilogy pack and Rey in the Force Awakens story-mode pack. That’s just one example.

Also Disney have started considering gender a lot less important for marketing for a while now. Tangled wasn’t exactly aimed solely at girls, for example.

They’re also trying to reform sexist marketing. For example, Disney have announced that they are stopping production of Slave Leia merchandise and instead having Leia only in her other costumes.

Basically, Disney are doing better than most in terms of ignoring gender, and it really annoys me when they are treated as somehow on the same level as much more sexist marketers.

Now we just have to sort out the little problem of the lack of Black Widow in their Marvel marketing…

(And, only half related, in non-Star Wars progressive type stuff, there was a lesbian couple in a Disney Channel show awhile back. Then the five-year old star in the show received death threats. That made me sick to my stomach.)

Merus
Merus

There’s a difference between what Disney is doing and what Hasbro’s doing. Disney have been applying their rock-solid character-led strategy to Marvel and now Lucasfilm, so they are of course going to ensure that they put the main characters of the film, Rey and Finn, front and centre. (There is a part of me that hopes Disney dig out the Lucasarts characters and give them the same spit and polish but I know in my heart this won’t happen. We already got a Monkey Island film, they just called it Pirates of the Caribbean.) Disney marketing won’t do this with Black Widow because she’s not a main character, so they don’t have to.

Hasbro have buried Rey because Hasbro divides most of their properties into for-girls and for-boys. (Their nerd shit division Wizards of the Coast gets to make things for everyone.) This is their fault.

What’s frustrating is that the Disney creatives have worked out that the money you lose by having female leads is more than made up for by the women and girls who really really love your movie because you have a female lead, and all the other people who don’t care either way but find it refreshing. Frozen made fuck-off money out of sisters bein’ sisters, and now Star Wars has made fuck-off money out of Rey fixing her way across the galaxy.

@ Artic Ape & nparker

We had a continental climate up until the late iron age, I’d be quite happy to see it back.

Of course, Cornwall is weird anyway. There are lots of little micro climates down here. The bluebells will be out in a couple of weeks in a few places ( my fave stone circle being one of them :-))

I’ve just remembered David Mitchell’s brilliant rant when someone described the temperature of tea as “7” but without giving any units.

“On one scale that’s cold and on the other it’s solid!”

Falconer
Falconer

@nparker: Thank you for expressing my reaction to Dan Kasteray in a much more eloquent fashion than I was managing, even before I got distracted and ended up not posting anything.

nparker
nparker

Always happy to help!
I suppose I am quite eloquent…

Falconer
Falconer

Everything I wrote came out accusatory, like “Look who hasn’t been paying attention!” which I judged would not be helpful.

Falconer
Falconer

Somebody unearthed a picture of Oscar Isaac wearing a t-shirt with a print of a cover of Atlas Shrugged on it, and now Tumblr is melting down.

I’m predicting the end of the Mouse altogether. Wolves will howl in Main Street USA within six months, you mark my words.

Kat
Kat

@florkje

I think that maybe these people just like to read someone who says mean things about women. What they read doesn’t have to make sense. And they don’t necessarily believe what they read. But it gives them a thrill because they’re so bitter about their own inadequacies. It’s fun for them to blame their inadequacies on women, whom they see as punching bags.

Kate, I think you’ve hit all the nails on all the heads here.

Really, in a way, this post should be the last and only post on WHTM, not because this isn’t an awesome blog (it is, thank you so much David), but because this post encapsulates the essence of the Manosphere so completely and beautifully, that all else seems pointless extra information.

Then again, I do like a good larf, and these clowns sure do keep on giving…

Thanks, Florkje!

What I didn’t mention was the profit motive for some of the writers.

Also not mentioned: the fact that it’s important to track these groups. The Jews in Nazi Germany kept hoping and wishing that the Nazis would go away, and we know how that ended. These groups bear watching.

booburry
booburry

nparker & Falconer , that’s great that you’re personally satisfied with how Disney is dealing with sexism in their merch. Doesn’t mean your opinion is *the* opinion, doesn’t mean people are overreacting or “haven’t been paying attention”. While shopping for my nephew’s birthday, and just by being in stores for that matter as Star Wars doo-dads seem to be plastered everywhere, I noticed plenty of things aside from Monopoly that were missing Rey. Action figures and Monopoly are far from the only things that they slap Star Wars logos on and call it collectible. Hell, they’re all over cereal boxes and soup cans right now and I haven’t seen Rey on those either, unless they’re just not shipping the lady packaging to my store.

dhag85

It made it to the news here too that people were having a hard time finding Rey toys for their kids.

nparker
nparker

@ Booburry

Good thing I never said mine was the only opinion then, wasn’t it?

Also, please read the conversations more carefully, because if so you’d see that Falconer saying about not paying attention was about our Doctor Who discussion, not this one.

In fact, you seem to be under the impression that you’re opinion is ‘right.’ Otherwise you wouldn’t be using your own anecdotal experience against mine as some sort of proof I’m ‘wrong.’

I believed what Pandapool said was harsh because of my own experiences. I wanted to get across that what I’ve seen balances it out a bit. I never said Pandapool was wrong about what they had seen, I was merely expressing the opinion that due to my experiences (that were different) I thought Pandapool wasn’t describing the full picture, worldwide, everywhere. I’m sorry, Burberry, if my having a different opinion to you is that offensive to you.

Falconer
Falconer

@booburry:

@nparker:

I suppose I should take this as a lesson that I need to clarify what I’m talking about when I’m referring to comments on a previous page.

berdache in a previous life
berdache in a previous life

SWTFA just became the biggest grossing US film ever, doing it in 20 days instead of 34 weeks like the now number 2 film [ Avatar].

It’s already number 4 all time worldwide with 1.5 Billion.

That is one hell of an effective boycott.

Eitan
Eitan

I think the manosphere has a lot in common with extremism in general including facism and communism. The points are this.

. The leadership is always right.
. Any sign of dissent is seen as opposition to progress.
. All the problems that face them are viewed as works of their enemy, facism-communism, communism-facism, manosphere-feminists Or women in general.

I also agree with the cult thing though not in a religious sense. More of groupthink.

Paradoxical Intention

I feel this is a good time to point out that Disney has put out a commercial for the new Star Wars section of Disneyland, and the ad features a young girl.

Maybe it’s because she looks like Rey or maybe it’s because Disney isn’t always stupid when it comes to marketing (still waiting for them to pull their heads out their asses on the Marvel front), but she looks like she’s having a hell of a time playing with her dad, and later playing with other kids at the park.

Robjec
Robjec

This isn’t based on fact (at least not why it was made) but I have heard quite often that the ferinheit scale reflects the liveable conditions for humans. You can live in temperatures of 0 to 100 without too many extra aminitites, and about 20 to 30 over 100 or under 0.

0 Celsius is ok. 100 Celsius you die. :p.

Kalvin is even worse on the people dieing scale btw.

@ robjec

That makes sense. Supposedly imperial units are based on everyday human experience.

So a foot is the length of your foot. A yard is from your nose to your fingertips, handy for measuring out cloth etc. A hundredweight is about what one person can pick up. A chain is how far you can throw something. An acre is what you need to feed one household.

Whereas SI units are all based on an inter related arbitrary standard that makes scientific equations easier.

@Alan

That makes sense because people are all exactly the same. 🙂

@ dhag

Ha, yeah. It was probably an important person’s nose that set the standard. In fact there’s some quote about “as variable as the size of the Chancellor’s foot” that probably derives from that.

Still, it gives us common folk some standards to aspire to. “Do you even lift a hundredweight bro?”

Edit: SI units are silent on the issue of wrist circumference. How can they not acknowledge such an important measurement?

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

Who has twelve-inch-long feet? I’m calling nonsense on that. I have big feet and mine aren’t twelve inches long.

@Alan

I can see how MRAs would view this as the ultimate insult to another man: “The distance from your nose to your fingertips is slightly less than 1 yard, you beta cuck manlet!”

@ EJ

If Wikipedia is to be believed (a bit of a stretch I know) the English foot used to be 13.2 inches. It was Edward 1 or 2 who set the current standard.

But now you’ve made me feel like a Sasquatch 🙂

@ dhag

That’s a great insult. Sounds like a prelude to a duel. 🙂

dhag85

What the… I just measured my feet and they’re only 9.5 inches. Nobody tell 4chan about this, deal?

@ dhag

Your secret is safe. Anyway, everyone knows it’s wrist circumference that’s key 🙂

mockingbird
mockingbird

@EJ re: Who has 12 inch feet? – I think my husband does…?

*out of sheer curiosity, goes to find one of his sneakers and a measuring tape*

*asks, “Where have all of our measuring tapes gone? We have like 10 of the things…”*

*finally finds one*

His shoe’s a hair over 14 inches long.
His shoe’s obvs bigger than his foot, but it’s probably safe to say that it’s at least 12 inches long, plus or minus a bit.

*makes husband a Sasquatch Club Card to match Alan’s*

dhag85

Hmm. Are we uncovering the fact that EJ has wildly overestimated his foot size relative to those of other people? 🙂

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

Very possibly. Hmmm. I must have freakily small feet for someone over six feet tall, then.

@EJ

You’re definitely sure about your height though? Unlikely theory, I know, but maybe the people around you have just been crouching all these years?

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

I’m 6’1 and my feet are, uh… *measures* About 9.2 inches? Then again, I have disproportionately small hands, so my feet might be outliers too.

Hey SFHC

Have you seen the news about the sea snakes being stranded on your beaches by the storms?

Some snake expert called Gary Pattinson is encouraging people to “throw them back in”. He acknowledges that they’re about the most venomous things in existence but apparently that’s fine as “they’re generally pretty placid”

Have fun!

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

It’s an optical illusion: because I’m closer to my own viewpoint than anyone else is, I appear larger.

@EJ

Reminds me of the Simpsons joke when Moe is dating a very short woman and someone says “she’s beautiful, but so far away!”

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

@Alan

Hadn’t heard about that, but compared to the box jellies and stonefish that usually infest the beaches around here, a few sea snakes are nothing. =P