a voice for men antifeminism gender policing men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA paul elam

Men’s Rights Activists Fight the Real Enemy: GQ Magazine, British Edition

MRA elder Paul Elam, totally reasonable guy
MRA elder Paul Elam, totally reasonable guy

In yet another stunning victory for their cause, Men’s Rights Activists have successfully infiltrated the comments of yet another article critical of them, leading possibly dozens of comment readers to mutter to themselves “Jesus Christ these guys again, honestly do they do anything else besides post this crap?”

This time, the target of the Men’s Rights raiders was an article on the website of GQ’s British Edition with the self-explanatory title “Men’s Rights Activists are cave dwelling idiots.”

Naturally, the comments from the MRA invaders tended to rather prove the author’s point, with regard to cave-dwelling idiocy.

There were accusations of gender treason:

Michel Famaey · Antwerp, Belgium Isn't GQ a men's magazine? No wonder your numbers are going down, traitors.

Bog-standard predictions of feminism’s impending demise:

James Chapman · Southern Business School Funny how these types of articles are surfacing more and more as the MRM is growing on A DAILY basis. Me thinks it is an attempt to ressurrect feminism as a movement, but unfortunately too many people are seeing through FEMINIST BIGOTRY. Regardless of what the dictionary definition of feminism is, its actions speak louder than words. It's a cult movement determined to acquire special privileges for women at the cost of their male counterparts. Feminism has overstepped its boundaries and it is slowly but surely dying.

Unique takes on women’s history:

Dennis Markham · Darien, Connecticut They were always female supremacists. At least the more successful ones. Every time feminism won a right for women, the consummate responsibilities didn't come for another 100 years. Women were able to keep their own income looooong before they were expected to be treated as financially responsible adults: to pay for their own upkeep, gambling debts, children, or even their own taxes. The "strong independent woman" was still entitled to the financial support of her husband like one of his children until about 1960. Look up Mark Wilkes.

Tampon jokes:

Zooper Duper Now I know why I never read gq magazine. Rupert can your next article be on how to and how often to change the male tampon?.

“Retard” used as an insult:

Balaji Narasimhan · Chief Executive Officer at Sahana and Daniya Narasimhan This article reads a lot like a spiteful four year old wrote it. I guess since your audience is feminist you have to write like a drooling retard to appeal to their simple brains.

Awkward turkey-related metaphors:

Jonathan Connett Disgusting that you try and position men as though they shouldn't have a voice. Equality is here, life will never be fair to everyone. You are like a Turkey voting for Christmas. Equality means all should be represented not blamed for everything as often happens today. You need to know when to stop sometimes and just get on with life.

And of course, Paul Elam:

Paul Elam · Founder and Publisher at A Voice for Men You idiots really think you are going to shut us up or even slow us down? Men have issues that are not being addressed. Publications like GQ would love to keep it that way. So you engage in a victim contest counting on the fact that your readers are so dumbed-down that they won't recognize the canard of that zero sum game. Magazine for men, my ass. Shame on the lot of you.

I should note that GQ seems to be moderating the comments fairly strictly; several I was intending to quote vanished before I grabbed a screenshot. I can only imagine what the rest of the moderated comments look like.

I should also note that Mr. Elam was so offended by the GQ article that he went and made a video about it.

In it the angry Elam, occasionally sounding like one of the storytellers on Drunk History, denounces the article as “lickspittle journalism,” describes its author, Rupert Myers, as looking “kinda like Alfred E. Neuman with liver disease,” defends the infamous AVFM article in which he referred to Bill Cosby’s accusers as “a bunch of drug whoring star [expletive deleted]” and makes the preposterous charge that it is Myers who is the true misogynist for criticizing his Cosby article because this means that Myers thinks that, as Elam puts it,

talking honestly about the reality of drug whoring star [expletive deleted]s is hostile to all women.

You may have to run that through your head a few times until it makes any kind of sense, because it really doesn’t.

Elam then declares Myers to be a “misogynist little [expletive deleted].

WINNING!

H/T — @idlediletante

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ SFHC & Newt

Yeah, over here ‘methinks’ tends to be used when someone wants to impart mild scepticism or amusement. It’s the verbal equivalent of a wry smile or a quizzically raised eyebrow. Presumably that reflects the “protest too much” legacy.

WeirwoodTreeHugger
WeirwoodTreeHugger

It never fails to amuse the shit out of me how manospherians think Anita Sarkeesian controls the feminist hivemind and we get all our thinking from her. Most of us didn’t even know who she was until a couple of years ago. I guess it’s projection. Again. They can’t think for themselves and get all their ideology from their websites so they assume we must all get our ideas from whoever the internet feminist boogeywoman of the moment is.

WeirwoodTreeHugger
WeirwoodTreeHugger

And to continue the freaky weather conversation from one of the other threads, it’s December fracking 23rd and it’s raining. In Minnesota! Not snowing. Raining. The fuck?

It’s nice to not have snow on the ground though.

Croi
Croi

Watched the Elam video. What a loathsome man. I find it interesting that he and others are going to town on attacking Myers’ writing style. Myers is a better writer than anyone on AVfM. Were they trying to distract from what he was actually saying?

Lisa C
Lisa C

It’s nice to not have snow on the ground though.

@WWTH-Same thing in my neck of the woods. So much for a picture book New England holiday 🙂

Delphi_ote
Delphi_ote

You’re like the Easter Bunny voting for Halloween candy on Labor Day!

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Or the Apis Bull voting for Pharoe’s birthday?

Miss Andry

The only thing growing in the MRM is volume.

Emmy Rae
Emmy Rae

Just seconding EJ – Paul Elam’s appearance could never be as disgusting as his ideas. I’d hate to see us attack them in the way they attack us.

Emmy Rae
Emmy Rae

Also I am enjoying the “Random Posts” section on the side. The title America: Land of Soulless Hamster Wusses has really inspired me today.

Leda Atomica
Leda Atomica

Sorry to go completely off topic, but I just had to share my dog’s 8th consecutive Christmas bath. We celebrate here tomorrow and now he smells like almonds.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ Leda

Aww, that’s so cute.

Of course give him 10 minutes and no doubt he’ll be rolling in fox poo. That’s like doggy Chanel #5!

Leda Atomica
Leda Atomica

@ Alan

Thanks!

Eau de Toilette is strictly forbidden until Christmas day when he’s done meeting the family. I’ve told him poo-rolling results to shaving.

Haha, as if! Dog the overlord will decide when an where he will roll. -_-

Moocow
Moocow

@WWTH

I went home to visit my family in France, and it’s actually so warm that some strawberries are starting to ripen, in late December!

peaches
peaches

Aww, sweet dog. Mine just came in from the rain and I towel-dried her, which she actually enjoys.

I’m in Alabama, and it’s raining. Ugly rain is normal here this time of year. But, we also have warnings of possible tornadoes, which is NOT normal this time of year.

(One year my Midwest in-laws decided to go to Daulphin Island in AL. for bird-watching, and were careful to avoid hurricane season. But they forgot all about tornado season, and wound up having to take shelter in a church in Mississippi. They were traveling with two puppies too!)

msexceptiontotherule
msexceptiontotherule

If there’s something disgusting on the route on which I take my dog for walks, she zeros in and literally drags me towards whatever is luring her in with its repulsive smell and proceeds to pretend like she’s doing her normal circle, circle, reverse circle and pee ritual so she can roll around in whatever it is. Dead things, liquid-ish-stuff-with-chunks-from-containers-that-leaked-out-from-the-trash, poop from dogs and other animal species…curiously my dog did not give more than a cursory sniff to the used ladies shark week product that was randomly left in the bushes next to the trash dumpster (I’m seriously wondering if a neighbor or some lady wandering by just….”hey, here’s as good a place to leave this thing as any….” because the bin was right next to those bushes, even if it fell out of a trash bag couldn’t they manage to get it to the bin!?)

Dog hates bath. And teeth brushing. I keep explaining to her that if she didn’t roll in disgusting stinky stuff and didn’t eat gross things off the ground, she wouldn’t have to get a bath as much and I’d let her lick my face without first brushing her teefs. We’re at an impasse due to the language barrier, though it seems like she may have learned to read minds, at least when I’m thinking that it’s time to wash her stinky doggy self again, she needs to practice hiding in better places where her butt will fit with the rest of her. Wiggly dog butt and tail always gives her away. 😉

Leda Atomica
Leda Atomica

@Peaches

Another towel fan here! Brushing’s another gem.

@msexceptiontotherule

Dogs are sneaky! Mine pretends to poo or summat so he’ll have extra time to check out a spot if it needs rolling in or licking (male dogs eat EVERYTHING). I remember one nightmarish time he rolled in human poo. How do I know? Wild animals hardly ever use paper. Also, the smell. Oh Zeus the smell. Standing in the lift with him was the day my nose died.

Here in Southern Finland another Christmas with no snow. And so much rain. I’m not missing the ice though. I remember some -20 celcius or one year even -30 weather with slippery ice and after the third fall and a frost-bitten nose it stops being funny.

Virtually Out of Touch
Virtually Out of Touch

“Ha! Good on GQ UK. ”

Yep. They seem to be going hard in the paint with MRAs. Reggie Yates of the BBC series “Extreme” recently did a documentary featuring Roosh (he goes to his home where Roosh tries to back peddle on his ‘legalization of rape in her own home’ theory, and to his London ‘seminar’), MRAs, Manosphere, MGTOW, Milo, etc.

LankyYankee
LankyYankee

Just to add to the weather discussion, I’m on the Gold Coast, Australia, and it’s bloody raining here too! I think there’s a conspiracy…

But yes, middle of summer, supposed to be hot, sunny, and awesome, and instead it’s hot, cloudy, and wet. Less awesome. So much frizzy hair. I look like tropical Monica from Friends.

Cyberwulf
Cyberwulf

The sad thing is, there are issues that only or disproportionately affect men. And if Paul Elam was the least bit interested in those issues, he’d be promoting Movember and Decembeard. He’d be volunteering at a homeless shelter and organising his followers to do the same. He’d comb the Internet for online support groups for non-custodial fathers that aren’t infested with assholes talking about the b*tch who stole their money and kids, and then link to them on his site. But it’s easier to sit on his hole ranting about b*tches and manginas on the internet that his poor girlfriend pays for.

raysa
raysa

Nequam: yes, thanks! That’s it.

Leda atomica : adorable dog! Forgive me if I missed it, but did you mention his name? He looks like a Mr. Willoughby.

About dogs and poo: we had a foster dog a few years back that was half weiner dog and half beagle. He was adorable, when he barked, it sounded like an old man straining to poop. We called him Oscar meyer.

On the day of his adoption, I had bought him a new sweater and matching collar, with little fire hydrants on them. I was dealing with a second adoption, so I had my husband walk Oscar around to keep him busy.

He led my husband to a pile of cat poop, and proceeded to roll around in it. I guess my husband just stood there and watched. My husband brings him to me, I smelled him way before I saw him.

His new family showed up just as my husband was explaining how he had no idea what happened. The sweater and collar were ruined, but the family fell in love with him, stink and all. They still send me pictures every once in a while.

Paradoxical Intention

@raysa: True love means loving your dog even if they smell like poo. And they most likely will.

Styne
Styne

“But it’s easier to sit on his hole ranting about b*tches and manginas on the internet that his poor girlfriend pays for.”

Do you have any evidence of this? It’s nothing but a taunt designed to discredit Mr. Elam.

dhag85
dhag85

In just a few weeks I will be where this arrow is pointing to:

Gotta remember to buy gloves. 🙂

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

I am suddenly very glad our dog is too dumb to dog. Sure, he barks at bricks, but at least the nastiest thing he eats is wet cat food (Cali leaves leftovers)

Oh, and it’s raining here too.

Pandapool -- The Species that Endangers YOU (aka Jackie; currently using they/their, he/his pronouns)

RE: Weather

We’re expecting 4-8 inches of snow around where I live in California tonight or tomorrow.

Which is great.

Really.

Ecstatic.

WeirwoodTreeHugger
WeirwoodTreeHugger

Lanky Yankee (or other Aussies),

I have what is perhaps a silly question. I’ve been watching Australia’s Next Top Model on YouTube. Everyone seems to mock the Gold Coast. Why is that? It kind of sounds like it’s the Florida of Australia. Is that about right?

WeirwoodTreeHugger
WeirwoodTreeHugger

Bailey never seems to get that stinky dog smell. She only needs to be bathed occasionally. I think I’ve lucked with her being the first dog I’ve lived with. She’s very smart and well behaved in addition to not being stinky.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Erm, it’s a fairly well-known fact.

Eventually, Bonnie said, the two weren’t even dating — she called them “roommates” — Bonnie said he was driving Stacey’s car and spending Stacey’s money. … “Here he is on the internet bashing women, yet he’s living off a woman,” Bonnie said. “She facilitated him living off his passion.”

Source; it’s about halfway down.

dhag85
dhag85

It always throws me off when people call him “Mr. Elam”. It sounds way too formal for a dude who sits around in his underwear yelling at people on Twitter all day. Can we call him “Dr. Elam” just for fun though?

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

@WWTH

It’s a lot like Florida in terms of the weather and the wall-to-wall theme parks, but there’s no equivalent to Florida Man or anything like that. I wasn’t even aware that people mock it. If I had to guess, is Next Top Model set/based in Sydney (I don’t watch reality shows)? If so, then it’s probably just QLD and NSW’s friendly rivalry talking. Or shit-talking, I suppose. =P

shay simmons
shay simmons

@Styne: you’re assuming Elam had any credit to begin with.

WeirwoodTreeHugger
WeirwoodTreeHugger

SFHC,
It is in Sydney. So I guess that’s it.

As long as we’re veering way off topic to this post, can I just say fuck anti vaxxers and may they forever get Legos trapped in their shoes? My friend’s toddler son has whopping cough.

ETA: To clarify, it’s not my friend who is the anti vaxxer. Either he hasn’t finished getting the vaccinations or they didn’t work or something.

msexceptiontotherule
msexceptiontotherule

I spend a lot of time marveling over my dog’s wonderfully soft and silky ears, though she’s a mature dog in age now, they still have that new puppy ear smell. She knows all of one trick that she performs for me on command (or maybe on demand is a better term?) – I say “show me your boobies” and she instantly flops onto her back. It’s the best trick ever, even if my dog won’t do the regular stuff like sit, stay, stop trying to bite the face off other dogs who get too close to me, quit rolling in dead things and poop…oh! She uses a litter box/tray to potty if it’s late at night or I’m away from home all day.

I made her wear her reindeer suit, antler hat-thingy and little hoof booties for her feet for pictures again this year – it’s Christmastime after all, and neither I or my dog were able to ferret out what the s/o has wrapped up to give her tomorrow night! If he knows what’s good for him, he’ll have some sort of rawhide chewy thing in there for her – no chewy thing, no peace! 😉

Nicholas Mann
Nicholas Mann

Okay, hope this doesn’t raise a red flag. The barrow I generally find myself pushing is that nothing weakens a cause/movement/lesson like hypocrisy.

Try this exercise – forget the guy’s debatable position and consider only his delivery/appearance. Now, imagine he’s female, all the female comments are male and all the male comments are female. Then it appears, just a tad, like a lot of people are calling him hysterical, stupid, ugly and insane. Like the douche bags do to women online and are rightly called out on.

Forgive me if this is intended more as a water cooler chatroom for people all of a similar mind. In that case, go for it. If you’re looking for converts, maybe not helpful.

Kat
Kat

@dhag85

Can we call him “Dr. Elam” just for fun though?

I’m game. It’s just our way of honoring his accomplishments.

Gotta remember to buy gloves.

I’m stunned that you haven’t been wearing gloves for months now in Sweden.

dhag85
dhag85

@Kat

Um. I don’t go out much. :p

Seriously though, very mild winters lately.

@Nicholas Mann

Yeah, let’s ignore all of world history and all relevant context! Or not.

raysa
raysa

Nicholas Mann:

Perhaps you can point us to such a discussion? Where feminists are calling a man hysterical, stupid, ugly, insane?

Just a note; if something “appears” to be a particular way to you, that’s just your interpretation. It appears to me that you are trolling a bit.

And if you knew anything at all about this group of people, it’s that they would never use the word, insane.

Styne
Styne

“Can we call him “Dr. Elam” just for fun though?”

You could, but the joke would be on you, because Paul could be referred to as a doctor. He was at one point an extremely well-respected therapist.

weirwoodtreehugger
weirwoodtreehugger

*Looks up to the top of the page*

Yep! Still there

WHTM tracks and mocks the New Misogyny online, focusing especially on Men’s Rights, Men Going Their Own Way (MGTOW), and Pickup Artist (PUA) sites. This blog is NOT a safe space; given the subject matter, there’s really no way it could be.

I bolded the relevant part.

Anyway. It turns out my friend’s boy only maybe has whooping cough. The test takes a long time so they’re treating him just in case. There’s a pertussis epidemic in the area. But there’s also a nasty flu or some other type of bug going around too. Pretty much everyone I know is or was sick.

And continuing the dog talk because yay furry animals, I’m teaching Bailey to roll over. She knows a bunch of commands but for some reason never learned that one. I started yesterday by commanding her to lie down and then nudging her on her back by saying roll over while giving belly rubs and then rewarding her with a piece of popcorn. Today, I got her to roll over on the first try without even having to nudge her. But the piece of popcorn, the belly rubs, and the excessive praise about smart she is must have gotten riled up because the next two times when I commanded her to roll over she would get up and jump on me instead and I had to nudge her again.

I still think she’s doing a great job and is very smart though!

Sorry if that was a teal deer. I’m just finding it fun to train her. Maybe I’ll try fetch next. She’ll catch her ball, but she won’t bring it back on command.

Luzbelitx

Woody, is that you?

Shut up, Styne!

Orion
Orion

He was a therapist, but I’m going to need evidence that he was “extremely well-respected.” What do you mean by that? Did he publish widely-cited articles? Was he frequently asked to speak at professional conferences? Did he receive awards or honors from a professional organization?

Remember: Extreme. Your word.

weirwoodtreehugger
weirwoodtreehugger

He was a drug counsellor. Not a doctor. I don’t know about well respected either.

Titianblue
Titianblue

He was at one point an extremely well-respected therapist.

Well-respected? Yeah, in exactly the same way Katie Hopkins is. /rollseyes

dhag85
dhag85

@Styne

Just because you say you were a therapist doesn’t mean you’re actually a “Dr.”. Do you actually believe this stuff, or are you just saying random things?

dhag85
dhag85

Shorter Nicholas Mann: “I’m about to say something very stupid but you’re not allowed to criticize me, okay?”

mildlymagnificent
mildlymagnificent

Not raining here in Adelaide. 38C predicted for today. 37 tomorrow. (38C = 100 in old money.)

Rain expected tomorrow afternoon. Basically it means it will be hellish hot -and- windy as the change in weather approaches, so all the CFS fire crews will be scoffing down their Xmas lunch with one ear on the radio.

And they won’t be able to have a beer because they need to be clear-headed if there’s a fire in their area.