mansplaining misogyny MRA oppressed white men parody patronizing as heck scott adams

Dilbert + Scott Adams’ Insufferable Mansplainations = MRA Dilbert. Perfect!

Note: Scott Adams actually believes this

The We Hunted the Mammoth Pledge Drive is on! If you haven’t already, support this blog by donating through the PayPal button below. Thanks!

Today’s amazing thing on the Internet: MRA Dilbert, a new Tumblr blog that mixes the art of Scott Adams’ Dilbert comic strips with Adams’ ludicrous, insufferable, and actually completely serious opinions on such subjects as women, women, and women.

It’s pretty awesome. I’m just jealous that I did’t think of it first.

Paradoxical Intention

“(Cis) Women’s behavior is celebrated! As long as it fits within narrow confines of feminine stereotypes handed down by sexist photoshopped media, doesn’t offend cisgendered straight men by making yourself not available to them, threaten their masculinity, or challenge them in any way.

Because if you don’t dress in a stereotypically feminine way, look like someone stretched skin over a Halloween skeleton, and wear enough makeup to cover up all your flaws, but not enough to look like you wear ‘too much’ by any random dude’s standards, then you’re nothing! Nobody! Less than Human!

And if you don’t make yourself sexually, romantically, and emotionally available to cishet men, then you’re worthless, because cis women serve literally no other purpose than to please men, serve as their housewives and trophies, and be men’s emotional dumpsters!

And if you dare challenge the Almighty CisHet Man on this, then you’re a dirty feminist, and you deserve to be harassed, beaten, raped, and/or murdered for your crimes against the True Humans!

[/HEAVY SARCASM]

Bina

So nice to see that he really IS a Dilbert. Which is to say, a hapless, hopeless, feckless, fuckless, witless wonder of an office drone whose tie gets erections at odd moments.

(Don’t mind me, I’m just summoning the beast. I’m told he appears on other blogs to kvetch under a pseudonym whenever his name is mentioned and mocked. What follows is invariably much funnier than any of his ‘toons.)

Walter
Walter

At first I thought that was a real Dilbert comic.

Mr. Adams has always been fairly bitter about women though, so this fake strip isn’t too different from some of the comics he’s made in the past.

Lkeke35
Lkeke35

Let’s not leave out intersectionality in this topic. The reason white men like Adams consider women of color worthless, (and never mention them in these tirades) is that they are already assumed, by such men, to be sexually available, to any man who wants them. At the same time being vilified for being sluts and unfeminine at the same time. Yeah, the stereotypes are just all over the place.

The reason why these gender stereotypes for white women fascinate me so much, is because often these are sometimes the complete opposite for women of color. I was made aware of the controversy surrounding ” Slutwalks” and how there are black women who refuse to participate in them because they celebrate female sexual openness. The reason why they won’t participate is because women of color (the sexy Asian, the hot Latina, the Jezebel black woman) are already assumed to be sexually available sluts, so participating in slutwalks for us, would just be reinforcing nasty stereotypes. On the other hand it’s empowering for white women.

For example, look at the difference between how white female pop stars are lauded on the media for highly sexualized behavior vs. someone like Nicky Minaj who does the same thing,

Paradoxical Intention

Lkeke: Thanks for bringing that up! I’m not black, so I don’t know much about that lived experience, except through black feminists.

Lkeke35
Lkeke35

Oh, on an excellently great note:

Daniel Holtzclaw has been convicted of the rape of 8 black women by an all white jury. He’s facing a possible sentence of some 200 years.

When his conviction was stated in court he supposedly mouthed to the jury, “How could you do this to me?” And then bawled like a baby.

Normally I try to practice compassion for all beings, in that he is a sorry person who put himself where he is now, but I couldn’t muster up even a single ounce for him.

It’s sad that our bar is set so low, that when the court system acts the way it’s supposed to, we get a happy.

Walter
Walter

Lkeke35

Why do you think Mr. Adams considers women of color worthless?

Outside of his support of Donald Trump I’m not aware of any Mr. Adams holding any racist beliefs.

Snork Maiden

And what exactly IS ‘male behavior’ and ‘female behavior’ anyway?

Lkeke35: That’s a great point. The whole stereotypical “battle of the sexes” is implicitly a battle between white men and white women.

Snork Maiden

@Walter,

I think what Lkeke is highlighting is that to men like Adams, WoC are simply invisible, and therefore left out of their generalizations.

sunnysombrera
sunnysombrera

@Lkeke
I think it’s disputed that he either mouthed “how could you do this?” or “I didn’t do this.” Regardless of splitting hairs, I too feel no sympathy for him and in fact feel a little outraged that he dare throw a pity party for himself after the horrible crimes he’s committed.

Lkeke35
Lkeke35

Paradoxical Intention:
It’s the reason why I chime in occasionally. It’s not to point out that black women have it worse or anything, because this isn’t the Oppression Olympics, but to point out that misogyny takes a hell of a lot of different forms, many times the complete opposite for different groups of people, and often what offends white women isn’t something applied to WoC and vice versa.

A lot of the things talked about on here don’t apply to the life I’ve lived, but it’s fascinating to me as an example of how gender oppression works in different cultures, and is applied to different cultures.

It’s all oppression, but it’s all perfectly tailored to oppress each group of women differently, and the sad thing is, that shit works. What you end up with is every group of women using up all their energy fighting stereotypes instead of accomplishing goals.

This site has been very enlightening (and fascinating) for comparisons on how the opposite thoughts are applied to WoC. For example, if a black woman makes it clear she’s not available, (or if she’s merely fat), she’s assumed to be an asexual Mammy. By white men! Black men don’t quite seem to be that entrenched in that idea and don’t seem quite as furious about it, as white men towards white women.

Not being a white woman I haven’t experienced how plus size white women are treated by white men but this site allows me a glimpse into what it’s like to be a white woman who doesn’t fit their personal ideal.

Not to derail or anything. I just want to clarify why I find this site so interesting.

Walter
Walter

Snork Maiden

Women of color, really people of color, are invisible to a lot of white Americans. Even among many progressive circles. That’s not something unique to MRAs.

sunnysombrera
sunnysombrera

@Snork Maiden

Pretty simple. It’s all the grievances that mostly men commit (sexual harassment, sexual assault, catcalling, mansplaining etc) vs all the “grievances” that women commit, in their eyes (turning them down for dates/sex, dumping them, refusing to be submissive and quiet, demanding things like bodily autonomy and the right to control their own lives). The first list for men is apparently normal and perfectly fine but society turns it’s nose at it. The second list is apparently abhorrent and unholy but society tolerates it. This is my guess on what MRAs mean when they say that oft repeated line.

Terrabeau
Terrabeau

On a related note, Scott Adams has also expressed admiration for Donald Trump’s “strategic mastery” – which I think is code for “playing on the insecurities of racists.”

Pandapool -- The Species that Endangers YOU (aka Jackie; currently using they/their, he/his pronouns)

Because you raped people. Does he not understand that. 😐 Rhetorical.

But, yeah, I’m very happy this asshole got 200+ years in prison. Let this be a start of a trend and not just an outlier, shall we?

Bina

That clip of Holtzclaw bawling was satisfying as hell to watch, and I’m still enjoying the Schadenfreude. He honestly expected to get away with it simply because of the color of his victims’ skins. And because he had a badge and they didn’t. And because some (not all, just some) of them had prior criminal records. Fittingly, he got caught because one of the women he pulled over for “surprise sex” (read: RAPE) was completely innocent, no record, nothing. And he couldn’t believe there was such a thing as an innocent black woman. He just figured they must all be fair game, because black = criminal, in his vivid imagination. Whoops! Racist cop gets popped. Sorry, not sorry, sucka.

Paradoxical Intention

@Lkeke: Which is why I appreciate another view point.

Just like how feminism is around because there are women’s issues that need to be addressed specifically, there are also WoC issues that also need to be specifically addressed in their own discussions, and there are ways which sexism impacts WoC differently than us white ladies.

And I’m just going to quote this for truth.

Jackie, where did you get actual footage of me responding to that article about the rapist? Am I being watched?

Lkeke35
Lkeke35

Bina: That’s it! That’s exactly what I was trying to articulate in my own mind, but I wasn’t quite reaching it.It’s not that he targeted the most powerless people in society, figuring he’d get away with it, but the assumed powerlessness of ALL of his victims because they were black and poor. Then add any criminal record on top of that, if there is one. His racist mind couldn’t see beyond color.

And, if he truly said that to the all white jury, there was also the assumption that they would blindly support him because of his badge and because of their skin color. That, along with everything else, should be equally infuriating to white people. (The assumption, by bigots, that all white people believe in the worthlessness of PoC.)

And this does tie into the discussion above in that he believed that certain kinds of women, most especially poor women of color, can’t be raped. It is automatically assumed by a subset of men that, (like marital rape,) you can’t rape WoC, because they are always assumed to be available and have “no virtue” to protect.

This is the complete opposite for some white women (especially those who meet conventional standards of beauty) that their virtue must be protected by murdering black men. Of course I have since figured out, that a white women’s virtue can easily be revoked, I guess, if she does anything to displease a white man, thereby providing excuses for him to abuse and/or murder her.

These are links and thoughts that would never have occurred to me if I wasn’t a reader at this site.

TeeRee

I sometimes enjoy reading the Adams blog as a kind of anthropological study. “See how the MRAs and MGTOWs play when they think they are unobserved!” And some of his posts are interesting when he’s not being dickish (a scientific term, I believe). But I only found WHTM because of Adams link to the site, so I say “yay Scott Adams!”

Kat
Kat

I totally thought that the “Dilbert” cartoon was real.

*a bat suddenly flies out from the corner of the room and out a window* Drat! I’ve been found out!

@katz

Mine cup runneth over from thyne male tears, Holtzclaw. uWu

History Nerd
History Nerd

I’m not that surprised by Adams’s views. When geek culture emerged in the 60’s and 70’s, it had some relationships with the counterculture and questioning social norms. But its major “texts” are thoroughly conformist and traditional. In Star Wars for instance, you have traditional gender roles, good vs evil, spirituality, etc.

Probably Star Trek is the only major early “geek text” that’s self-consciously feminist or left wing.

RainbowCJ
RainbowCJ

Wow, I hadn’t seen oppression like this before. I knew racism and misogyny intersected for WoC but I hadn’t thought of how misogyny could play the opposites game. I always thought of it more like racism+misogyny, not a spectrum of misogyny. I’ll be watching for things like this from now on and try to find out more.

As for someone who mentioned how white fat women are treated? We are largely (by white cisshet men) either desexualized, used as joke fodder or hyper-sexualized (and are, in those cases, assumed to be desperate, grateful for all male attention and willing to do anything). That’s my experience and what I’ve heard from others anyways. I can only imagine what it’d be like to live with racist tropes on top of that

weirwoodtreehugger
weirwoodtreehugger

And why shouldn’t he have thought that? They usually do get away it. I shouldn’t have to be pleasantly surprised that the criminal justice system actually did its job. But I am.

Of course, even after the verdict, he still has supporters. I actually saw a comment that said something along the lines of “we still don’t know everything that happened.” The fuck? As if the defense was going to hold back any exonerating information during the trial! Of course, this person had also helpfully pointed out the victims were “prostitutes” even though only some of the victims were sex workers. So I suspect they didn’t think he was innocent, just thought that raping marginalized women shouldn’t be the type of thing a middle class white guy ought to be punished for.

Kat
Kat

@History Nerd

I’m going to have to take issue with you about the traditional gender roles. At least as far as the first Star Wars was concerned, it broke boundaries.

Princess Leia was a smart woman fighting for survival. There was no romance in that film, just her being a smartypants to Han Solo. She often took center stage. Her clothes weren’t exactly revealing and her hair was — odd. I found her inspiring.

For me, the franchise went downhill — and the sexual politics went retrograde — after the first film.

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

This is why I get my news from you guys. 200+ years? Holy fuckballs, that’s an actual sentence, none of this 2 years means six months type crap. That’s “the death penalty isn’t on the table, but you’ll never be a free man again”. Like others here, I shouldn’t be thrilled the justice system was actually just of once, but damnit, I am.

But of course he still has supporters, he’s a white guy in a position of power, his victims were poor black women. Logically, who’s likely to be the victim when their paths cross is plain as day, but a certain chunk of asswipes will just never see WoC as people able to be victims, particularly not when the criminal is A Guy Like Them. But fuck them, sure, he’s a guy like them, assuming they deserve 200+ years behind bars. (Read that as you will, I’m cranky)

Or, to quote the animals around here… sniff, sniff, whine, HISSSSSS, purrrrr. Our three mammals are still on questionable terms with each other, but “interesting; do not want; happy”? Yeah, they’ve got this. (And why yes, my life does revolve around them currently, thank you for asking! >.<)

bekabot
bekabot

“If you’re still crying over your pawn while you’re having your way with the queen, something is wrong with you and it isn’t men’s rights.”

Yes, absolutely. That’s why men’s-rightsers get on my nerves so badly. They make a bloody religion out of crying over their pawn while they’re having their way with the queen, and they do it all the dang time. They never stop. All their writing and politicking consists of that and that alone. For the actual dangers and hazards of masculinity they spare scarcely a thought, except in a superficial placard-y way. (“We hunted the mammoth!! And what about the draft!!”) I’m sorry; I can’t take that stuff entirely seriously; so much so that I don’t blame Scott Adams for taking up the MRA cause, because he’s the creator of a comic strip which emphasizes its 2-dimensionality and the men’s-rights movement couldn’t have a more appropriate bard. Could it?

Frank Torpedo

Well, she was wearing that titillating barely-there white dress, with which you could see her breasts and her belly and her thighs through the material very clearly.

The shot where she’s lying down on a bench and Luke finds her makes it extremely obvious.

MsMockingbird
MsMockingbird

Excuse me while I go trash all my Dilbert books

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

@katz:

That is some delicious schadenfreude right there.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

@Walter

Shut up, Walter.

Frank Torpedo

You know, I can’t tell the difference between these comics and the actual Dilbert strips.

One thing that always ground my gears was his awful representation of women as either screeching, destructive, violent harpies, or inert meat-sacks.

I never really liked Dilbert for this. I found it obnoxious. I found it grating, like he was patronizing me and insulting my intelligence by presenting this caricature of a woman in his comics. I found it hard to believe that someone could be so delusional, or, rather, so ignorant.

I feel like it foreshadowed his future as an MRA woman-hating drone.

Walter
Walter

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

It’s true. White Progressives aren’t that different from white people in general. White people ignore minorities until it suits them. That’s just the truth.

So in terms of Mr. Adams, I don’t see why anyone would think that he would be particularly more racist than any other white person. Is he thinking of black women when he makes his stupid rants about women? Probably not. Is he thinking of black men when he talks about the basic nature of men? Probably not. When Scott Adams talks about people, he really only means white people. Is that racist? Yeah. But that’s how 90% of white people think anyway, so why act like what he’s doing, in terms of race at least, is something out there or different?

Kreator
Kreator

@Walter:

Well, referencing The Bell Curve, while not exactly conclusive evidence of any sort, doesn’t help his case too much either, even if he wasn’t entirely serious.

Walter
Walter

Kreator

Is he referencing the shitty book called “The Bell Curve” or just the statistical concept of a bell curve? It looked more like the latter than the former to me.

TeeRee

Walter, I must know the secret to your mind powers. Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing your gift by informing us how “90% of white people think”. Use your mind powers now, I’m thinking of a finger, which one is it?

DS
DS

Challenge question: How is this materially different than JudgyB*tch/JanetBloomfield/Andrea Hardie making up fake tweets attributed to feminists like Valenti or Sarkeesian? Whoever made these seems to be saying “Well, Adams didn’t say that exactly but it’s what he WOULD have said…”. That is identical to the bullying of Hardie. Cut thus nonsense out or you are no better than the MRS and MGTOWs. @DavidFutrelle because reasins.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

@DS:
Adams did actually say those exact things.

Here’s the wider context in which it was said:

Men’s Rights

The topic my readers most want me to address is something called men’s rights. (See previous post.) This is a surprisingly good topic. It’s dangerous. It’s relevant. It isn’t overdone. And apparently you care.

Let’s start with the laundry list.

According to my readers, examples of unfair treatment of men include many elements of the legal system, the military draft in some cases, the lower life expectancies of men, the higher suicide rates for men, circumcision, and the growing number of government agencies that are primarily for women.

You might add to this list the entire area of manners. We take for granted that men should hold doors for women, and women should be served first in restaurants. Can you even imagine that situation in reverse?

Generally speaking, society discourages male behavior whereas female behavior is celebrated. Exceptions are the fields of sports, humor, and war. Men are allowed to do what they want in those areas.

Add to our list of inequities the fact that women have overtaken men in college attendance. If the situation were reversed it would be considered a national emergency.

How about the higher rates for car insurance that young men pay compared to young women? Statistics support this inequity, but I don’t think anyone believes the situation would be legal if women were charged more for car insurance, no matter what the statistics said.

Women will counter with their own list of wrongs, starting with the well-known statistic that women earn only 80 cents on the dollar, on average, compared to what men earn for the same jobs. My readers will argue that if any two groups of people act differently, on average, one group is likely to get better results. On average, men negotiate pay differently and approach risk differently than women.

Women will point out that few females are in top management jobs. Men will argue that if you ask a sample group of young men and young women if they would be willing to take the personal sacrifices needed to someday achieve such power, men are far more likely to say yes. In my personal non-scientific polling, men are about ten times more likely than women to trade family time for the highest level of career success.

Now I would like to speak directly to my male readers who feel unjustly treated by the widespread suppression of men’s rights:

Get over it, you bunch of pussies.

The reality is that women are treated differently by society for exactly the same reason that children and the mentally handicapped are treated differently. It’s just easier this way for everyone. You don’t argue with a four-year old about why he shouldn’t eat candy for dinner. You don’t punch a mentally handicapped guy even if he punches you first. And you don’t argue when a women tells you she’s only making 80 cents to your dollar. It’s the path of least resistance. You save your energy for more important battles.

How many times do we men suppress our natural instincts for sex and aggression just to get something better in the long run? It’s called a strategy. Sometimes you sacrifice a pawn to nail the queen. If you’re still crying about your pawn when you’re having your way with the queen, there’s something wrong with you and it isn’t men’s rights.

Fairness is an illusion. It’s unobtainable in the real world. I’m happy that I can open jars with my bare hands. I like being able to lift heavy objects. And I don’t mind that women get served first in restaurants because I don’t like staring at food that I can’t yet eat.

If you’re feeling unfairly treated because women outlive men, try visiting an Assisted Living facility and see how delighted the old ladies are about the extra ten years of pushing the walker around. It makes dying look like a bargain.

I don’t like the fact that the legal system treats men more harshly than women. But part of being male is the automatic feeling of team. If someone on the team screws up, we all take the hit. Don’t kid yourself that men haven’t earned some harsh treatment from the legal system. On the plus side, if I’m trapped in a burning car someday, a man will be the one pulling me out. It’s a package deal. I like being on my team.

I realize I might take some heat for lumping women, children and the mentally handicapped in the same group. So I want to be perfectly clear. I’m not saying women are similar to either group. I’m saying that a man’s best strategy for dealing with each group is disturbingly similar. If he’s smart, he takes the path of least resistance most of the time, which involves considering the emotional realities of other people. A man only digs in for a good fight on the few issues that matter to him, and for which he has some chance of winning. This is a strategy that men are uniquely suited for because, on average, we genuinely don’t care about 90% of what is happening around us.

I just did a little test to see if I knew what pajama bottoms I was wearing without looking. I failed.

TeeRee

DS, I didn’t follow the link to the tumblr but the fake comic strip in this post sounds like a quote from Adams’s blog. I am too lazy to go back through his blog posts but I swear I recognize those exact sentences. If I’m wrong and they are just made up then I see your point. I thought the tumblr thing was taking quotes from Adams’s blog and pasting them onto Dilbert cartoons, which in my mind is very different than bullying.

TeeRee

EJ, you beat me to it AND had the blog post at the ready. Clearly I haven’t had enough coffee yet.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

::ninja!::

To preempt people who accuse the comics of cherry-picking:

We can fairly accuse the artist who did the MRA Dilbert of cherry-picking the best quotes for them. That’s a fair criticism. However, it’s a criticism which has to be made at the entire profession of journalism, because that’s standard industry best practise nowadays; and anyone levelling such a criticism at an individual rather than calling for widespread reform of professional standards is indulging in some cherry-picking of their own.

Lkeke35
Lkeke35
Reply to  Walter

Actually, Walter, I didn’t make that claim. I don’t give a fig whether or not he’s racist and never made that assertion. (He’s vile whether he’s racist or not.)

He probably is because these things go hand in hand, but I never claimed he was a special snowflake for it, or that he was the only one.
What I was doing was pointing out the intersectionality of race and misogyny. His hatred of white women and complete erasure of WoC, are connected to each other.

When white MRAs talk about women it’s assumed by their audience that the women they’re discussing are white women. I’ve often stated that a lot of the rage inducing stuff I’ve seen on here, doesn’t apply to WoC. A lot of the assertions they make about women completely ignore the white male treatment of WoC, historically. I’m often enraged on white women’s behalf, because I know these men are not aiming at me. They’re aiming at the white women they want but can’t have.

For example that whole being lazy and not working thing. Poor women and WoC have always worked. We never had the option of staying home. In their vile assertions about white women working or not working, MRAs completely leave out the history of poor women and WoC. That’s what I mean by erasure.

There are some black MRAs but their arguments with black women are very different. The entitlement takes a different form with them. Black men who say nasty things about black women are pretty vile in their opinions, but it’s just different. They focus on different things, than white men do. There’s slightly less slutshaming for example and more of the sexual availability/entitlement attitude.

Well I don’t want to get bogged down in a discussion on race, just wanted to point out some differences in content.

sunnysombrera
sunnysombrera

@EJ
The sad thing is that in that little spiel of his he does make a couple good points regarding men’s rightsers, especially their kvetching about women living longer. But the things he says regarding women and feminism are just so much worse. And completely clueless, to boot.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

@Lkeke35:
Thank you for joining the conversation; I’m learning a great deal from every post you make.

If I may ask a favour, could you recommend some good writers on the subject of gender issues within the black community? I’m acutely aware of my own ignorance on the topic and would very much like to learn more.

@sunnysombrera:
That’s a good point: MRAs are so wrong that even Scott Adams thinks they’re wrong, clueless as he is. I wonder, could we use this as a sort of scale of wrongness?

TeeRee

@EJ, Well, he sort of thinks they’re wrong but he also believes the US is a matriarchy, so…

kupo
kupo

I’m pretty sure Walter is trolling, now. A few times now he’s said things that I believe to be caricatures of feminist / leftist views, I think in an effort to get us to agree with him.

Sorry, but we’re not going to agree with you that 90% of white people ignore POC all the time and thus it doesn’t equate to racism when it happens. That’s a load of fucking bullshit. While it’s true that most white people do ignore POC (I say this as a white person), that doesn’t make it normal or acceptable.

I don’t think it’s likely that, even if someone believed in a penis-size-based hierarchy being some kind of utopia, that they would actually believe that all men across the entire globe instinctively submit to those with larger schlongs. Add to that his attempts to make almost-feminist-sounding arguments that MRAs would love to catch us agreeing with, and it’s pretty obvious to me.

Plus, Walter has never once addressed the Moocow paradox.

TeeRee

Kupo, I’m also white and I disagree that most white people ignore POC. What does that even mean? Which white people? Do you mean most white people in the US? In North America? In Europe? In Africa? In the world? And ignore in which ways? There’s a significant subset of MRAs who don’t just think women are keeping them down. How many times have I read, and even heard in real life, that the poor beleaguered white man is being kept down by everyone, incuding all POC and all women. In their thinking, “everyone else” is coddled and protected while white men are constantly discriminated against. If anything people like that are hyperaware of POC.

1 2 3