announcements

We’re Back! And Welcome to We Hunted the Mammoth 2.0!

The Future is Now

Welcome to the new, improved We Hunted the Mammoth!

We’ve moved from WordPress.com and replaced the old WordPress theme with a streamlined custom theme. And we’ve been able to implement a number of long-requested features that will make navigation easier and commenting more pleasant. In related news, the Blockquote Monster has resigned to spend more time with his family.

Moving a blog with 2471 posts and 573,557 comments (yes, really) to a new server is a messy job. We were offline for longer than we expected while we tried to get all the old content up. And we’re still sorting through issues with plugins and widgets and so on. If you notice some weirdness going on please let me know in the comments below. Or send me an email.

And let me know what you think of the new features.

HUGE HUGE HUGE thanks to Tracy Bradley, who handled the redesign and the big messy move and dealt with all the technical glitches that came up. For free. Without her help the new site would look crappy and not work and my head would have exploded from frustration about a dozen times. Hire her for stuff!

Fred_the_Dog
Fred_the_Dog

Wow! Looks niiiiiice!

Just another test

Ugh. Yeah nested comments with just a one pixel border and some weird too/bottom padding is not enough to determine who’s replying to what once it’s more than one level deep (and I think WP defaults to eight! It’s under, um, settings -> reading? I think?)

Argenti Aertheri

One other thing — your Twitter feed in the sidebar is wider than your sidebar, so it overhangs the right edge of the box. It’s weird, and I suspect a max-width: 100% would fix it (well, except on Opera because fucking Opera and its inability to deal with min/max sensibly!)

ETA — I forgot a thing! Isn’t this technically WHTM formerly Manboobz 3.0? Or are we calling the original 0.1?

weirwoodtreehugger
weirwoodtreehugger

Testing to see if it’s only in the other thread that I keep getting put back in moderation. Because I just made a comment and it was the fourth one that went into moderation 🙁

Argenti Aertheri

Ok, last thing, hopefully. Blog time looks to be set to GMT, don’t know if that’s intentional or not though.

kupo
kupo
Reply to  David Futrelle

Samsung Galaxy S5. Let me know if you want a screenshot.

Wicked Witch of Whatever
Wicked Witch of Whatever

It looks great, and everything seems to be working for me.

Testing links –news about the study suggesting that human men and women appear to be people from the same species who can hold a conversation together:

The study was nice. The comments on all the related articles are depressing, but don’t really get going “their own way” until a woman writes an op-ed piece about it:

Wicked Witch of Whatever
Wicked Witch of Whatever

Mm. I think I got the links working. The edit button is wonderful for people who type like me.

Viscaria
Viscaria

Yay! WHTM is back! I had to pay full attention to my job for 2 whole days. It was awful.

I don’t know if this is a site issue or an I-can’t-use-technology issue, but on my Android, in Chrome, everything seems sort of shunted to the right. There’s a lovely white border on the left side, and no border to the right at all.

But so glad that you guys could get it up and running! I hope it will work better for you, having more control.

This edit feature + my clumsy fingers = best friends forever.

Paradoxical Intention

ej | December 4, 2015 at 11:30 pm
I like the new design. It’s sleek and looks very clean.

I’m not gonna lie: Every time I hear the words “sleek” and “clean” in reference to web design, I think of Clients from Hell.

Those two words haunt me now. They’re client-side buzzwords.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

(Just postin’ to get out of auto-moderation, ignore me!)

Paradoxical Intention

David, quick note: I noticed when I blockquoted someone there were odd gray lines between the paragraphs.

For instance:

Like so.

And so.

And so.

Auntie Alias
Auntie Alias

It looks professional and clean. I like it. I’m loving the larger font size and the sans serif font. These old eyes ain’t what they used to be.

The mammoth graphic in the Donate section is really nice. I saw it on the ‘under maintenance’ page, too.

I like the new, improved widget for your tweets.

It’ll be interesting to see if the yellow highlight will prod more people to read the comments policy before sharing their expert psychiatric diagnoses.

I’m not seeing any threaded comments. My previous comment was a reply to David’s.

Great job, David and Tracy!

PI —

1) I fucking hate you for sending me down the rabbit hole of horrible clients
2) My worst was a law firm, who, in addition to “I do web design” meaning “you can work photoshop magic”, pulled this:

We need it professional, classic, suitable for a law firm, but no books or scrolls of columns or any of that.

Yeah… scales were also right out. So basically, lawyer-y, but absolutely none of the symbols that people recognize as lawyer-y.

Then there’s my ex’s site. I kinda wish I’d never said I could do it, but he needed it in a week and the guy he’d hired spent a month with his thumb up his ass. That went swimmingly, I had it sketched by the time he was off the phone with his friend who does advertising stuff, up and running in three days — easy peasy. I’m still maintaining it over a year later because UPDATE YOUR OWN PLUG INS! Or, you know, pay me for maintaining it maybe? Cuz that idiot sure as shit wouldn’t’ve!

…granted, a solid half of the maintence is me swatting at annoying buzzing sounds trying to hack in with variations on “Argenti Aertheri”, so me covering for the trolls I accidentally brought with me is fair enough (to said trolls: really, it’s not gonna happen, so stop trying, oh and by-the-by, I log your IP every time you try)

/ massive rant

————

On Topic!

Your maintence page should’ve been “Off hunting mammoth, be back shortly”

mildlymagnificent
mildlymagnificent

Well done you!

Tessa
Tessa

Oooh fancy. I like the overall look, and, but I have never understood reply nesting that doesn’t offset the sub replies (at least 1 or 2 levels deep).

BUT! Bold! Italics! aaaand

BLOCKQUOTE

buttons! Has David finally hunted the blockquote mammoth to extinction??

Tessa
Tessa
Reply to  Tessa

Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh!! An edit button, too! *swoon* Finally I can truly hide my complete incompetence at wording!

Bananananana dakry
Bananananana dakry

Postin’ to get out of the moderatin’! Welcome back!

Karl
Karl

One at the top of the page (in the article) is good, but a couple on the right panel are broken (“On Herpes and Hypergamy”, “Check out my post on “Misogyny in the Men’s Rights Movement” on the Good Men Project”)

MsMockingbird
MsMockingbird

Just testing to see if I am worthy to post

And yes I am apparently yay!

Paradoxical Intention

Argenti Aertheri | December 5, 2015 at 3:56 am
PI —

1) I fucking hate you for sending me down the rabbit hole of horrible clients

You’re fucking welcome. 😀

It’s a bit like people-watching. Every time I think someone can’t get any more arrogant about their lack of knowledge in the field, CfH manages to top it. D:

There’s also Not Always Right if you want to delve into some other types of jobs who deal with terrible, terrible people.

Tessa
Tessa

Oooh, looks like the time has been put back to only an hour in my past like always!

I really like page links at the top and bottom of the comment list!

(Kinda got mixed feelings about the nested replies but eh, I’ll get used to it.)

Are the separate blockquote boxes for each paragraph the style of blockquotes now? Or a problem with the blockquote code?

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

The new site seems to forget my login details every time – I’ve had to reinput my name and email address with each post.

EDIT: And now it’s stopped doing that. Maybe it was just a one-off. Hmmm.

My only other gripe is that the text is very large. I read very small text, so tend to view websites on my phone by zooming out in order to fit the maximum amount of words on the page. I can’t do that on the new layout which means it feels disorienting. I’ll get used to it though.

Off-topic, I’ve been linked a hilariously funny misogynist forum thread which I was dying to share with the mammotheers. It’s on fetlife so you won’t be able to see it without an account (and the website is NSFW), but if you can get in it’s worth it: a group of assholes complaining about SJWs taking over Star Wars, and how Lucas putting women and blacks into it means he’s betrayed his principles and sold out.

The comments get funnier the further down they go. Did you know that the original Star Wars didn’t have women or people of colour? Did you know that there was ever a time when George Lucas hadn’t sold out? I certainly didn’t.

Auntie Alias
Auntie Alias

@EJ (The Other One)

ROFL! So Carrie Fisher and Billy Dee Williams were….wookies?

Verily Baroque
Verily Baroque

Your maintence page should’ve been “Off hunting mammoth, be back shortly”

Seconded! 😀

Argenti Aertheri

…the original Star Wars didn’t. Have. Women?

Thank you for that laugh, I’m on the tail end of over an hour of frustrating I. Hate. Everything. So yeah, Princess Leia not existing is a lovely change!

autosoma
autosoma

I think I ay have to be ultra conservative here.

I’m so far not happy about the move from wordpress

I consume most (nearly all) written material on my phone. It’s become a cross between a magazine, newspaper and book for me.

As such the wordpress mobile app fulfilled my personal needs for WHTM, enabling me to read David’s content and then comment and become involved in the WHTM community.

Opening up WHTM in chrome on android now, I’m presented with lots of choss, sidebars and related posts.

I am fully aware that as the producer, David requires a “better” platform then wordpress. As well as many other features to spare his time.

Is there a mobile content app related to the primary web delivery platform that performs “an as” replacement for the wordpress app for this particular platform, if not is their a third party alternative.

It’s a bit of a shock of the new for me. Actually, shock of the old, this looks like a retrograde step to me as the site’s performance and behaviour (Not the look or content) is a bit 2010.

Ace
Ace

Is anybody else getting what seems like massive text size? Everything just seems overtly large… (insert joke related to penis-size post)

And, it’s late so I didn’t read the comments, but do we reply directly to people or do we just post new comments?

I will also admit I will miss the Blockquote Mammoth (mainly because I never got blockquoted) and all the wonderful responses it spawned. I hope the BQ Mammoth enjoys a wonderful retirement with the grandbaby mammoths.

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

Likewise.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

@PI

Hah, I post around CFH sometimes. Great site, great example of “MRAs will swarm any comment section on any topic no matter how irrelevant.” =P

@otherwise

I keep getting caught in redirection loops – is the new DNS stuff still propagating or is that a bug?

Jo
Jo

Lots to like about the new design, but like Ace, I’m finding the text really large on my (Nexus) phone. One short comment fits on the screen, whereas in the old design I might see two or three. It’s going to make it really hard to scan through comment threads…

Kootiepatra

Commenting to 1) escape moderation limbo; 2) ask if the “reply” function actually leads to nested comments or not. I’m not seeing any nesting, so I wanted to ask if it was an “It doesn’t work like that” issue, or an “It just doesn’t work” issue, or an “It works, but we don’t want to use it” issue.

[ed: Also, edits. Whee!]

Argenti Aertheri

Last thing before bed — can you put the “top posts” thing back in the sidebar? It was really useful for following semi-popular threads that weren’t still in “recent posts” nor popular enough to reliably stay in “recent comments”.

Also, you lost the “contact the mods” but I think you lost the mods themselves awhile ago? Or did you get new ones while I was away?

Last last thing — it’s not logging me in, but it is auto filling the name and email fields, so this is just an oddity to add to your list (fix 1, find 3 more? That was my first month of running a entire WP site solo)

Reply to  Kootiepatra

It works, we just aren’t really using it, seems to be more out of habit than any rule though?

tricyclist
tricyclist

Like the new layout, the possibility to format comments more easily, and an edit/correction time window.

So – for understanding. No posting using twitter/other id’s, so avatars cannot be carried from there?

No local accounts

Avatars can be applied from a wordpress account. I have a wordpress account (dormant). But how do I associate my wordpress account with a comment here – via the email address?

Finally – is there a way to find previous comment I’ve made. (Not specific to the new layout, I couldn’t find how to do that from the old layout either)

Thanks.

EDIT – just read up on Gravitar. Will try that.

Newt
Newt
Reply to  Kootiepatra

The nested replies are noticeable by the smaller font, and if you look carefully, a pixel indentation. Meanwhile, in my text browser (and maybe other things that don’t make much effort with graphical layout), they show up as typical <li> indenting, which is much easier to spot.

tricyclist
tricyclist
Reply to  tricyclist

Cool – it works.

Kootiepatra
Reply to  Newt

Ahhhh, I had wondered about the text size difference, and had completely overlooked the pixel. Thanks!

EJ (The Other One)
EJ (The Other One)

Do images still embed? One of the things I like about the culture here is the use of pictures to communicate in ways that words can’t.

Testing, testing.

EDIT: It seems that images no longer embed. David, is that intentional?

AltoFronto
AltoFronto

Ooh, I’m looking forward to trying out these new bold, italic and

buttons.

It sure saves time from having to type the html commands manually. 😀

Here, have a kitten:

Can we use embedded links, too? I’m testing to see if that works…

Everything looks kind of… big to me, as well, but that’s hardly here or there. 🙂 Yay, Mammoth 2.0.

AltoFronto
AltoFronto
Reply to  AltoFronto

Oh, my first link didn’t work, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to fix it using the “edit” view?

Also going to try using the quote function again.

I’ll get used to it. The reply function is bound to come in real handy, thanks for adding that feature! 😀

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

LOOK AT MY NYM IT’S HUGE.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Wait, wait, there are nested comments? 🙁

That’s going to make it hard to keep up with active threads.

myriad
myriad

Welcome back, David. I really like some of the functionality of the site.

Now, if someone could be ever so kind to instruct me as to how I get my gravatar to work, I would be most grateful.

Katherine XII
Katherine XII

Alas, I never attempted to blockquote and never got mammothed.

I suddenly regret missing my chance to have this iconic experience before the blockquote mammoth got hunted to extinction.

^.^

That said, exciting! Wooo! A bold new era of internet-awfulness-documentation!

A. Noyd
A. Noyd

I get seriously grossed out looking at the faces of horrible people (like Matt Forney), so to protect my sanity, I try to use AdBlock to selectively block any images featuring said horrible people. But when I right click most images on this new site, I no longer get an option to add them to my block list. Any chance you could fix that? Especially now that such images are also showing up in the otherwise lovely random post sidebar?

Auntie Alias
Auntie Alias

I’m on a desktop and the text font is a bit larger than before but not overly large like some are describing. If those people are all using mobile devices, it must be a CSS thing.

weirwoodtreehugger
weirwoodtreehugger

I don’t care for the nesting. Like POM said, it’ll make it hard to keep up with busy threads. That kind of thing also hurts the conversational flow IMO. Instead of it being one conversation that evolves naturally, there’s danger of people feeling like they have to locate a thread that’s on a particular topic and stick to said topic.

Newt
Newt

If we’re not going to be using/paying attention to the nested replies, then they provide another opportunity for necro trolls: Just like the droppings left at the end of an old post, there could be a comment buried on page 1 where it stays stinking the place up and the active posters will miss it.